PDA

View Full Version : To All My Fellow Duke Fans

NYDukie
05-05-2010, 12:11 PM
About 4 years ago while my wife's brother and family were stationed in the Air Force in Massachusetts, we got to meet a friend of theirs name Lori, who is currently battling the effects of cystic fibrosis which attacks one's lungs. Without going on and on, Lori is one the most geniunely wonderful person you could ever meet. Given what she has gone through and is dealing with, you would rarely ever see her without a smile or a kind thought. While growing up in Virginia, Lori had the good fortune of being able to been seen by the great doctors at the Duke medical facilities and their top notch group that deals with cystic fibrosis. Lori to this day has sworn up and down by the doctors, nurses and staff there.

Over the past few months, Lori has had to go back down to Duke for treatment and has been staying either at Duke, in Durham or with her parent's in Virginia. My wife and I, along with our almost 2 year old lil girl Camryn (coincidence in the name?) have kept in constant contact with her while there as we live in the NYC metro area. Lori was at Duke facilities receiving treatment while the Duke team made its great run to the championship and got to experience the great atmoshpere the team's championship run brought to everyone down there. For the record, Lori is a big Duke fan, do in part to the great treatment the Duke medical group have given her over the years. During this Duke run, we all chatted to talk about how she felt and how the team was doing. All in all, Lori was always happy and is still always happy to this day as she keeps fighting.

This all leads me to this next "wonderful Lori moment". My wife and I had been trying to find a cool t-shirt for Camryn and lo and behold what shows up on our doorstep the other day from Lori? A Duke championship t-shirt for Camryn (and one each for us also...LOL). it just made us wonder in amazement that Lori was thinking about us while doing her battle. I don't know if Lori will happen to read this as she is a prideful and privat person but I just wanted to give her a big thanks, share her story, say we love her and also share a pic of our lil girl Camryn sporting her new Duke t-shirt showing off how she "is raised the right way"! Also, more importantly, when you have time today, just give Lori a kind thought or prayer as she most definitely deserves it.

P.S. For the mods of the board, I have gone through and done what I thought to properly attached Camryn's photo. If it happens not to go through, shoot me a email so I can properly post it as I'm sometimes not the most clever with computer issues as my wife can attest to...LOL And if you wish, maybe put her on the front page as we always like a good lil future Duke fan on the board! Thanks everyone!!!

BlueDevilBaby
05-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Best wishes to Lori who sounds like a generous, thoughtful and, being a Duke fan, brilliant.

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2010, 01:03 PM
Love the shirt! Vibes to Lori, she is in great hands.

weezie
05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
You GO Lori!
We salute your courage and excellent taste in friends (and teams!!!)

moonpie23
05-06-2010, 12:49 AM
go lori go... !!!!! you ARE being raised right !!

fitimi1
05-06-2010, 12:43 PM
Anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes someone from the team or coaching staff to visit with Lori? Might be a couple of days since everyone is in the middle of exams.

All the best to a courageous young lady.

NYDukie
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Anyone want to start a pool on how long it takes someone from the team or coaching staff to visit with Lori? Might be a couple of days since everyone is in the middle of exams.

All the best to a courageous young lady.

It would definitely be a cool thing to happen but right now Lori is home in Virginia with her parents. If I find out she is back at Duke for tests or a stay there I will shoot a line to everyone here as maybe someone might have a connection with the basketball team to stop by and give Lori a quick hello!

If anyone wants to shoot me a message regarding this for when I find out she is there, please let me know! Much appreciated for the thoughts, comments, etc. for Lori!