PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know Carrick Felix

watzone
05-05-2010, 10:11 AM
Carrick Felix is a player not too may folks know a lot about, but this article might give you some insight on how his recruitment took place and what he went through to get to Duke.

Felix will be on campus later this month to start his workouts.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/carrick-felix-is-ready-to-face-the-challenges-at-duke/

stillcrazie
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Carrick Felix is a player not too may folks know a lot about, but this article might give you some insight on how his recruitment took place and what he went through to get to Duke.

http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/05/carrick-felix-is-ready-to-face-the-challenges-at-duke/

Thanks, as always.

Kedsy
05-05-2010, 10:20 AM

Nice article, Mark. Thanks.

Hyoster
05-05-2010, 10:34 AM
I wonder how he wound up in Junior College to begin with? He talks about beginning to emphasize academics later in life, but I'm surprised that a school with less stringent academic requirements didn't snap him up out of high school.

roywhite
05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
I wonder how he wound up in Junior College to begin with? He talks about beginning to emphasize academics later in life, but I'm surprised that a school with less stringent academic requirements didn't snap him up out of high school.

Just from what I've read, but Carrick apparently had some recruiting interest coming out of high school, but thought that going to JC would give him a chance to develop and perhaps reach a higher level program.

I'll really be rooting for this guy; good story and good addition to the team.

watzone
05-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Well that is what I meant when I called him a diamond in the rough. I think he wanted to attend a major college but needed the work at a junior college. FWIW, Southern Idaho is a big deal in a state with only the Vandals. Felix is a late bloomer who is fulfilling his potential. He is an excellent student now and his experiences seem to be serving him well.

Bluedog
05-05-2010, 10:47 AM

He was not academically eligible coming out of high school to play in the NCAA according to this article:

As a high school senior, Felix averaged 19.7 points and 13.2 rebounds in leading Millennium to the title. But a poor academic showing during his freshman and sophomore years left his core GPA just short of NCAA Clearinghouse standards.

http://www.magicvalley.com/sports/article_e0e1b092-5761-5b36-b4f3-647995546a78.html

He has since righted the ship, though, and focused on his academics a lot more. He got a 3.0 GPA at Southern Idaho. Sounds like a good guy and glad to have him on board. Thanks for the interview!

JasonEvans
05-05-2010, 10:48 AM
Aside from Az State, we had not heard much about the other schools that were involved for Felix.

...being courted by Arizona, Arizona State, Washington from the Pac 10 and Maryland and Clemson from the ACC not to mention West Virginia.

Thanks for this list, 'Zone!

--Jason "love the confidence from Felix" Evans

mgtr
05-05-2010, 11:04 AM
Everybody likes a straight-arrow kid, always gets good grades, always does the right thing. But I have to admit that I have always been partial to the kid who starts out wrong, realizes it, and then comes back strong in the right direction. It is sort of like competing with one hand tied behind your back. Many are unable to do it, but, for those who succeed, I think a lot of doors open. I hope this young man is a success in whatever he wants to do. I am betting that he will be.

BD80
05-05-2010, 11:10 AM

off season conditioning drills ... will be conducted by ... Nate James who will hold down the fort while Krzyzewski and his assistants Chris Collins and Steve Wojciechowski will be in Las Vegas training Team USA ...

Nate is really making an impression as an assistant. Something tells me he will be "motivational" during the conditioning, again impressing Coach K. CC is involved in training as well isn't he?

Lord Ash
05-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Thanks so much for the free article; it is tough when you cannot really spend the money on premium things, so this sort of thing is doubly appreciated. Thanks!

Cockabeau
05-05-2010, 12:18 PM
With all the talent we have surrounding him and he needs to do is initially is finish fast break and garbage and play mad man defense. I am confident he can do this from day one.

KI
Austin
Dawkins
Felix
Plumlee

Wow, that is one sick team.........:cool:

SilkyJ
05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
KI
Austin
Dawkins
Felix
Plumlee

That doesn't even exist yet....

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
With all the talent we have surrounding him and he needs to do is initially is finish fast break and garbage and play mad man defense. I am confident he can do this from day one.

KI
Austin
Dawkins
Felix
Plumlee

That doesn't even exist yet....

And I thought you had TT as an All-American. Tough to become an All-American without starting.

airowe
05-05-2010, 12:49 PM
Thanks for the article, Mark. Always good to know the person behind the game. I'd move to hear some more from Tyler, Josh, and Kyrie as well.

ElSid
05-05-2010, 12:54 PM
the athletic talent seems to be there. he sounds raw but also very coachable and willing.

players that get along make good teams. happy to hear this report from felix about everyone being welcoming.

great quote about being a student athlete first. hope he can find a way to excel at duke.

would love for this guy to take up the mantle of mcclure and thomas. lock down defender, glue guy, hard worker, rebounder.

funny how duke has the silver spoon image, but they don't get credit for the workmanlike effort that goes into each player's success. some players, like maggette, enter duke with a Kentucky-under-Coach Cal-level of talent. But most do not. It's one thing that inspires me about duke bball. The people that work really hard achieve.

91_92_01_10_15
05-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Thanks for the article. It was interesting to read about Carrick's father's military background. If I'm not mistaken, that's something he has in common with Nate.

DukeBlueNV
05-05-2010, 02:26 PM
sounds like this kid has the right attitude and sounded very genuine in this article.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-05-2010, 02:28 PM
the athletic talent seems to be there. he sounds raw but also very coachable and willing.

players that get along make good teams. happy to hear this report from felix about everyone being welcoming.

great quote about being a student athlete first. hope he can find a way to excel at duke.

would love for this guy to take up the mantle of mcclure and thomas. lock down defender, glue guy, hard worker, rebounder.

funny how duke has the silver spoon image, but they don't get credit for the workmanlike effort that goes into each player's success. some players, like maggette, enter duke with a Kentucky-under-Coach Cal-level of talent. But most do not. It's one thing that inspires me about duke bball. The people that work really hard achieve.

Nothing wrong with being raw when you're goin to be playing behind the NPOY front runner and a team that goes 10-11 deep. He'll get his 5-10 minutes a game and will contiune to progress throughout the season. I'm excited to have him!

smittendevil
05-05-2010, 02:42 PM

Thanks for sharing!

watzone
05-05-2010, 03:18 PM
I'm glad most of you enjoyed the info. Somebody let me know when we print the unfinished draft next time;)

yancem
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Nothing wrong with being raw when you're goin to be playing behind the NPOY front runner and a team that goes 10-11 deep. He'll get his 5-10 minutes a game and will contiune to progress throughout the season. I'm excited to have him!

I agree. One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is the value Felix will bring as a practice player for Singler. This past season Singler didn't really have a long, athletic and defensive minded guy to compete against in practice. Felix should really provide a good challenge, both offensively and defensively, for Singler to hone his sf skills against.

ACCBBallFan
05-05-2010, 03:40 PM
I agree. One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is the value Felix will bring as a practice player for Singler. This past season Singler didn't really have a long, athletic and defensive minded guy to compete against in practice. Felix should really provide a good challenge, both offensively and defensively, for Singler to hone his sf skills against.Exactly, and Josh Hairston may be able to provide some of that too, though I suspect this past year Lance gave Kyle plenty of challenge when they were not paired next to one another.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-05-2010, 04:27 PM
I agree. One thing I haven't seen mentioned though is the value Felix will bring as a practice player for Singler. This past season Singler didn't really have a long, athletic and defensive minded guy to compete against in practice. Felix should really provide a good challenge, both offensively and defensively, for Singler to hone his sf skills against.

Great point. Come to think of it, everyone will have a formidable opponent in practice.

Nolan-Kyrie
Seth-Andre/Tyler
Singler-Felix
Plumlee-Plumlee
Kelly-Hairston

Kyrie and Nolan would be a fun 1 on 1 to watch. :D

Lennies
05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
He was not academically eligible coming out of high school to play in the NCAA according to this article:

Why didn't he go to Memphis? :)

Eckster
05-05-2010, 05:08 PM
Carrick...thought that going to JC would give him a chance to develop and perhaps reach a higher level program.

Mission accomplished!

ChicagoCrazy84
05-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Why didn't he go to Memphis? :)

Burn!!!

Kedsy
05-05-2010, 06:08 PM
Great point. Come to think of it, everyone will have a formidable opponent in practice.

Nolan-Kyrie
Seth-Andre/Tyler
Singler-Felix
Plumlee-Plumlee
Kelly-Hairston

Kyrie and Nolan would be a fun 1 on 1 to watch. :D

Well, except Kyrie and Nolan will both probably run with the first unit most of the time. My guess is in most practices Seth will guard Kyrie and Andre will guard Nolan. Tyler could probably be used all over to give different looks to either practice squad, although he especially could guard Nolan when Andre is playing the 3 and guarding Kyle (give Andre practice against bigger forward so we can play three guards plus Kyle and a big in games).

No matter what, those would be fun practices to watch.

Dukeface88
05-05-2010, 06:41 PM
Well, except Kyrie and Nolan will both probably run with the first unit most of the time. My guess is in most practices Seth will guard Kyrie and Andre will guard Nolan. Tyler could probably be used all over to give different looks to either practice squad, although he especially could guard Nolan when Andre is playing the 3 and guarding Kyle (give Andre practice against bigger forward so we can play three guards plus Kyle and a big in games).

No matter what, those would be fun practices to watch.

The Blue-White might be the best game before the tourny :D

MarkD83
05-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the article. However, I am concerned. Every player that is coming in next year and a few of the current players sound like they are "athletic". Are we sure they are allowed to come to Duke?;).

Eckster
05-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the article. However, I am concerned. Every player that is coming in next year and a few of the current players sound like they are "athletic". Are we sure they are allowed to come to Duke?;).

One might even say alarmingly athletic! :p

roywhite
06-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Carrick Felix has committed to Arizona State.

http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1091450

Good luck to Carrick; Herb Sendek is building a good program there.

Osiagledknarf
06-06-2010, 10:24 AM
Carrick Felix has committed to Arizona State.

http://duke.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1091450

Good luck to Carrick; Herb Sendek is building a good program there.

Best of luck to him out at Arizona State. He should do well in the Pac 10 and help build something out at Arizona State. Hope he does great out there and would have really like to have seen here, but things happen for a reason I guess.

ChicagoCrazy84
06-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Best of luck to him out at Arizona State. He should do well in the Pac 10 and help build something out at Arizona State. Hope he does great out there and would have really like to have seen here, but things happen for a reason I guess.

I agree, he will do well there. He won't make it to the league or anything, but as long as he's comfortable and has fun, he'll do well which I think would be hard not to do at ASU.

Kinda makes me think why he left Duke, I honestly think a lot of it has to do with his girlfriend. I would not doubt that she had some sort of say in it.

Richard Berg
06-06-2010, 02:29 PM
So instead of filling Lance's shoes, he'll fill Boateng's? Glad to see there's still a Duke connection :)

Indoor66
06-06-2010, 03:28 PM
So instead of filling Lance's shoes, he'll fill Boateng's? Glad to see there's still a Duke connection :)

Only if he can play center.

Houston
06-07-2010, 12:16 PM

That means he will not start until he's a senior. Best of luck at ASU.

Azdukefan
06-07-2010, 03:25 PM
That means he will not start until he's a senior. Best of luck at ASU.

I know you are referencing the previous post but in all honesty, the kid should probably start from day one at ASU. They are depleted and need someone with Carrick's upside to change their direction. I expect he will be very successful at ASU. He was never meant to be a real Devil but will service the Sun Devils well.

Class of '94
06-08-2010, 12:59 PM
This may have already been covered in another thread; but I read articles in the Durham paper and on espn about Carrick making the decision not to attend Duke af few days after he signed a letter of intent to play at Duke because it didn't feel right in his heart. So my question is, "What's the real reason for Carrick turning down the scholarship"? He denied it being an academic issue. Was it that or did either he or his girlfriend not like the area? Or did he become concerned about playing time based on incoming recruits or who Duke was recruiting?

Lord Ash
06-08-2010, 01:03 PM
It would have been fun to see a transfer at Duke, but honestly I don't think this is much of a loss for Duke. I was never particularly impressed by any of Carrick's highlights, and did not see the athleticism that everyone else seemed to drool over... I wish him success at ASU, but I don't think it is a huge loss for Duke next year.

roywhite
06-08-2010, 01:54 PM
This may have already been covered in another thread; but I read articles in the Durham paper and on espn about Carrick making the decision not to attend Duke af few days after he signed a letter of intent to play at Duke because it didn't feel right in his heart. So my question is, "What's the real reason for Carrick turning down the scholarship"? He denied it being an academic issue. Was it that or did either he or his girlfriend not like the area? Or did he become concerned about playing time based on incoming recruits or who Duke was recruiting?

I don't think you'll see anything definitive from the Duke side on this; as has been noted, it's not Coach K's style to do anything other than wish a departing player well.

I've read that Carrick failed to reach some of the academic markers the staff had set out for him. Though he could have enrolled at Duke, he still needed to clean up some work at College of Southern Idaho.

In addition, he apparently has a close relationship with a girl friend who will join him in Tempe (would that have been the case in Durham?), and Kyle Singler's return changed the short-term outlook for playing time.

So, the "real reason"? Some combination of the above could well have brought on that "feeling" by Carrick that he would be better off somewhere else.

That's okay IMO. Better to have the player make a decision like that before starting at Duke than to have a problem with eligibility or being unhappy later on.

I hope he does well at Arizona State.

Class of '94
06-08-2010, 02:18 PM
I don't think you'll see anything definitive from the Duke side on this; as has been noted, it's not Coach K's style to do anything other than wish a departing player well.

I've read that Carrick failed to reach some of the academic markers the staff had set out for him. Though he could have enrolled at Duke, he still needed to clean up some work at College of Southern Idaho.

In addition, he apparently has a close relationship with a girl friend who will join him in Tempe (would that have been the case in Durham?), and Kyle Singler's return changed the short-term outlook for playing time.

So, the "real reason"? Some combination of the above could well have brought on that "feeling" by Carrick that he would be better off somewhere else.

That's okay IMO. Better to have the player make a decision like that before starting at Duke than to have a problem with eligibility or being unhappy later on.

Very true.......Thanks Roywhite for your insight.

Big Pappa
06-09-2010, 12:40 AM

Good points here. I have also heard some rumors about his academic standing at CSI and when trying to enroll at Duke.

I agree that it is much better to have this happen now and it is obvious that Carrick has no hard feelings toward Duke. I know that overall, Duke has no hard feelins toward him either. Truly a clean break and I wish him the best at ASU.

striker219
07-16-2010, 02:16 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13351/carrick-felix-is-just-not-that-into-duke

CameronBornAndBred
07-16-2010, 02:26 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/13351/carrick-felix-is-just-not-that-into-duke
I have no problem with that. It's better that he made the decision that he would be happy with now than question himself and not be happy in the future. I'm sure some will translate his thoughts as a knock against Duke, I don't take it that way..he knew he wouldn't be comfortable there. Just ask any divorced man if he could go back and do it again, would he still marry that same beautiful woman.

DukieBoy
07-16-2010, 02:27 PM

I'm glad he realized this now and wouldn't have to suffer sitting out a year because of transferring or anything. Best of luck to him

BD80
07-16-2010, 02:48 PM

"But they understood and they talked it out with me and tried to help me find a different school."

Isn't that exactly how ol' roy handled the Wears' decision?

killerleft
07-16-2010, 03:07 PM
"But they understood and they talked it out with me and tried to help me find a different school."

Isn't that exactly how ol' roy handled the Wears' decision?

LOL. But I don't think Roy was given much of a chance to do ANYTHING. 'Cept gripe, that is.

CDu
07-16-2010, 03:10 PM

Nothing wrong with that. Duke isn't a perfect fit for everyone, and it appears that it wasn't a perfect fit for Duke.

Further, with Singler returning and with the recruiting successes building up again, it looks like the wing forward spot might be a bit crowded. So if it's not a great fit and there's a real chance you aren't going to get regular playing time, it's completely understandable to go somewhere else.

If Felix really wasn't feeling Duke, it's best for him and for Duke that he recognized this and corrected a mistake before too much time was lost. Best of luck to him at ASU. He's got a better shot at PT there, and hopefully it's a better fit for him.

uh_no
07-16-2010, 03:15 PM
Further, with Singler returning and with the recruiting successes building up again, it looks like the wing forward spot might be a bit crowded.

what are you talking about? singler will play down low

CDu
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
what are you talking about? singler will play down low

Disagree. But that discussion has been beaten to death in other threads.

Kedsy
07-16-2010, 03:33 PM
Disagree. But that discussion has been beaten to death in other threads.

I think he was being sarcastic.

MisterRoddy
07-17-2010, 06:14 PM

It's more like he's just not that into the playing time he would've received at Duke. Now that everything is over with, he can say whatever he wants but I have a feeling if Kyle hadn't returned, he'd be a happy Blue Devil right about now. Oh well.

CDu
07-17-2010, 06:51 PM
I think he was being sarcastic.

Ah, my bad. My internet sarcasm radar is terrible.

roywhite
01-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Carrick Felix leads ASU to victory over E.J. and the Ducks (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310012483)

Nice to see Felix have a good game; I'm rooting for the guy even though things didn't work out for him with Duke.

Singler and Sendek were other familiar names involved in this game.

DukieInBrasil
01-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Nice to see Felix have a good game; I'm rooting for the guy even though things didn't work out for him with Duke.

It looks like Carrick had season, and therefore career, highs in pretty much everything vs Oregon. Prior to that game, CF's presence was limited to about 10+ mpg and around 3ppg and about 1rpg, very quiet numbers. His FG% was/is pretty decent but his 3FG% is terrible (14%) though he doesn't shoot the 3 very much.
Sounds like CF has an interesting story coming into DI ball and I hope he does well at ASU.

sagegrouse
01-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Carrick Felix leads ASU to victory over E.J. and the Ducks (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=310012483)

Singler and Sendek were other familiar names involved in this game.

For the record, Carrick started and was 19 and 6 in 34 minutes. The link on the front page gave Sendek's view of the total lack of effort by the Sun Devils against OSU the night before. Looks like Herb shook up the lineup to good effect. Congrats to Felix el Gato.

sagegrouse