PDA

View Full Version : CBS tries to sell NCAA Tourney

bluepenguin
05-05-2010, 06:37 AM
CBS tried to sell the tourney to ESPN to stem their losses over the remaining years of the contract to televise the tourney. http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/05/sports/ncaabasketball/05cbs.html?ref=sports I'm guessing ESPN turned them down because they were not on board with the provision in the contract that requires them to do everything possible to make sure Duke is in the finals.:)

kingboozer
05-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Oh well, I'm pretty excited that every single game will be on TV with the Turner deal, I'm curious to see who will be the commentators on TBS,TNT and truTV how different there presentations will be vs CBS.

Lennies
05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
ESPN the Magazine still hasn't said anything about Duke winning the tournament.

Cameron
05-05-2010, 08:36 PM
^^I no longer get ESPN the Magazine (it's a joke), but that is really sad if true. We are their frickin' bread and butter for college basketball; we are their meal ticket, and this is how they repay us?

They need to realign their priorities and pay some respect to their most profitable "customer."

weezie
05-05-2010, 08:39 PM
ESPN the Magazine still hasn't said anything about Duke winning the tournament.

I thought I had maybe missed it but you are darned tootin' right.
Blast their sorry, worthless hides, their dopey print, and their tired, fawning jock-love. And Stuart Scott.

ElSid
05-06-2010, 12:55 AM
Wait, seriously? ESPN the mag never had a story about Duke winning the championship? Is ESPN the mag more or less a collection of "insider" stories? I've looked at it a few times...can't even say I "read" it because it mostly just seemed like captions and computer graphics over photos.

ESPN still doesn't show Duke in the pre-show "montage of champions" either. I get the feeling we saw Hasbro's mug before every sportscenter starting in late April last year. Maybe not. When should that start? Why must they deny us our rightful millisecond of pleasure before sportscenter?

Sometimes I wonder if there should be another all sports network on TV to support the differing viewpoints out there...I mean, I got my FoxNews and my MSNBC. If ESPN is going to play partisan b.s. like this, let's start another network. ESPN can act like Glenn Beck and claim that Duke is destroying all that is good and American. Our network can just state the facts and provide interesting analysis, with an occasional shout out to how awesome Obama is most of the time. I'd watch that all day.

Seriously, is it against the law to have an all-duke network? If the yankees have the YES network, don't we need a network too to compete with them for world domination? Clearly that's not legal. But we can dream. It'd be like that satellite radio station that plays all grateful dead all the time. Only in my dream, it's a band I actually want to listen to all the time. and it's not really a band or a radio, it's duke on tv.

I guess I don't care if ESPN doesn't give us our simple pleasures as long as basically every single game remains televised.

As for the new networks showing games...I'm curious about theme music. The CBS music is as effective as playing the "Rocky" theme or shouting "Thundercats HOOO" in getting me fired up. I'm worried that new music might not do it for me.

Starter
05-06-2010, 02:24 AM
... with an occasional shout out to how awesome Obama is most of the time.

Well... I think Barack has acknowledged Duke's championship about as much as ESPN the Magazine, unless there's something I've missed. He had UNC at the White House on May 11 last year, and I guess they may have waited for Duke to finish classes and stuff, so I'm assuming Duke's invitation is coming any day now, despite the presence of our noted Republican head coach.

ElSid
05-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Well... I think Barack has acknowledged Duke's championship about as much as ESPN the Magazine, unless there's something I've missed. He had UNC at the White House on May 11 last year, and I guess they may have waited for Duke to finish classes and stuff, so I'm assuming Duke's invitation is coming any day now, despite the presence of our noted Republican head coach.

Coach K is a republican but he voted Obama. And I don't think K is someone who watches Glenn Beck and thinks, hey, there's a great point.

Obama being awesome is not contingent upon having Duke visit earlier or later than UNC. He's talked to K on the phone at least.

They'll visit soon. There are a few pesky national crises in the way right now. Maybe that will always be the case, at the rate we're going these days.