PDA

View Full Version : John Calipari interested in Bulls Job

Osiagledknarf
05-04-2010, 07:48 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuzvQd3e5af75pTNYJOfSHU5nYcB?slug=aw-caliparibulls050410

How could this affect things with recruits for 2010 such as Brandon Knight, and 2011 with Quincy Miller?

bluedevil2012
05-04-2010, 07:54 PM
Please please please let this be true. I want him OUT of college basketball.

roywhite
05-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Cal himself one and done at Kentucky?

Et tu, Calipari?

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
Apparently, he told Andy Katz that he wasn't. I wouldnt look too far into it.

blueprofessor
05-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Collins was bypassed by the Bulls in June 2008. He may be the man this time.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

bfree
05-04-2010, 08:10 PM

He did. But the yahoo story went up about 90 minutes ago... I wonder who is telling the truth?

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 08:11 PM
He did. But the yahoo story went up about 90 minutes ago... I wonder who is telling the truth?

I hope that he is, but I'm definitely not gonna dwell on it.

kingjamess21
05-04-2010, 08:12 PM
party at my place if he leaves!

Atlanta Duke
05-04-2010, 08:23 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AuzvQd3e5af75pTNYJOfSHU5nYcB?slug=aw-caliparibulls050410

How could this affect things with recruits for 2010 such as Brandon Knight, and 2011 with Quincy Miller?

Brandon Knight apparently was savvy enough to see Coach Cal's never ending loyalty to UK might in fact end sooner rather than later - so Knight signed an aid agreement instead of the traditional letter of intent

By signing an aid agreement, Knight forced Kentucky to make all the vows. The Wildcats are committed to him, but he is not committed to them.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/michael_rosenberg/04/29/knight/index.html

Props to whomever is advising Mr. Knight

illinoisdukie
05-04-2010, 08:28 PM
I think he would take any NBA job that was offered to him.

weezie
05-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Oh, what a delightful turn of events...I sure hope he gives it the serious consideration that it deserves ;)

Jderf
05-04-2010, 08:45 PM
"Sources say the combination of roster talent, tradition and market make Chicago one of the few NBA jobs that could pry Calipari out of Kentucky."

Hmm, roster talent, tradition, and market? Something tells me one of those doesn't fit in with the other two so well...

MChambers
05-04-2010, 08:52 PM
"Sources say the combination of roster talent, tradition and market make Chicago one of the few NBA jobs that could pry Calipari out of Kentucky."

Hmm, roster talent, tradition, and market? Something tells me one of those doesn't fit in with the other two so well...

The language you quoted is interesting, as is the part that says that Calipari "hasn't connected" with the Kentucky administration. Once stuff like this starts getting out, it's hard to stay.

Pretty soon, Calipari will have coached more places (and had more NCAA violations) than Larry Brown.

BD80
05-04-2010, 08:54 PM
"Sources say the combination of roster talent, tradition and market make Chicago one of the few NBA jobs that could pry Calipari out of Kentucky." ...

Has anyone explained to him that there is a salary cap in the NBA?

Does Cal really think he can coach? How sad.

SCMatt33
05-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Collins was bypassed by the Bulls in June 2008. He may be the man this time.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

Something makes me doubt that Collins would ever coach for the Bulls again. He is, however, one of the leaders for the Sixers Job. I doubt that Cal will end up there, though. Just a personal opinion on that one.

calvindog
05-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Cheating while recruiting cannot help him in the NBA. What else can he offer? Didn't his stint with the Nets prove this?

Class of '94
05-04-2010, 09:34 PM

Can anyone explain to me how Cal's incoming freshman class for next year is a top 5 class, as mentioned in this article by the writer? Don't get me wrong, it's a good class but top 5??!!??

IMO, I think it's the fact that a lot of the top players have turned him down from these next two classes that has Calapari thinking NBA.

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Can anyone explain to me how Cal's incoming freshman class for next year is a top 5 class, as mentioned in this article by the writer? Don't get me wrong, it's a good class but top 5??!!??

IMO, I think it's the fact that a lot of the top players have turned him down from these next two classes that has Calapari thinking NBA.

When a school has two of the top 10 recruits (via rivals/scout) and 4 of the top 35 (via rivals)...more often then not, they are at least in the top 3.

Class of '94
05-04-2010, 09:39 PM
When a school has two of the top 10 recruits (via rivals/scout) and 4 of the top 35 (via rivals)...more often then not, they are at least in the top 3.

Outside of Knight and Gilchrest, I didn't realize the rest of his recruits were ranked that high.

Duvall
05-04-2010, 09:40 PM

It's more like top 2 (http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=14&cfg=bb&yr=2010).

Knight, Kanter and Lamb will be good next year. It's not as good as last year's class, but that was unique.

He's already off to a fantastic start for 2011 with Teague and Gilchrist, with more to come.

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 09:43 PM
Outside of Knight and Gilchrest, I didn't realize the rest of his recruits were ranked that high.

Well, Gilchrist is 2011, Kanter is the other top 10 recruit. Lamb is top 30 for most recruiting services while Poole is 67 on scout, 51 on espn, and 33 on rivals.

Duvall
05-04-2010, 09:44 PM
John Calipari interested in John (http://twitter.com/espn4d/status/13395800557) Calipari (http://twitter.com/espn4d/status/13395899861).

moonpie23
05-04-2010, 09:47 PM
i'm not that impressed with Cal's ability to actually coach. I've stated before, those guys were already lottery picks....they were just passing through ..

he couldn't win against Kansas. he couldn't win against uk in 96.....what HAS he won? wait.....those games don't exist...

he has won the "hype" award....that;s about it...

with the talent he had this past season, you'd think he'd be able to get those guys to play as a team....why should we worry about him loading up with a bunch of individuals again and rolling the ball out....??

moonpie23
05-04-2010, 09:49 PM
John Calipari interested in John (http://twitter.com/espn4d/status/13395800557) Calipari (http://twitter.com/espn4d/status/13395899861).

wouldn't that make it hard to fire him when all their wins are vacated?

baby-face dawkins
05-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Interesting...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5163428

IBleedBlue
05-04-2010, 10:01 PM
Calipari usually looks for an exit route before the entire world knows something was screwed up at his previous job. Like, he jumped to Kentucky before we all came to know the violations at Memphis. So, I wonder what's brewing inside Kentucky's and NCAA compliance offices as Cal is already looking around for another job.

Jderf
05-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Interesting...

This is just astonishing. Isn't he already the highest paid coach in the Development League... err, I mean, the NCAA? How could he possibly be dissatisfied?

Lennies
05-04-2010, 10:15 PM
If Cal is bailing out, the sanctions must be on the way.

roywhite
05-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Calipari usually looks for an exit route before the entire world knows something was screwed up at his previous job. Like, he jumped to Kentucky before we all came to know the violations at Memphis. So, I wonder what's brewing inside Kentucky's and NCAA compliance offices as Cal is already looking around for another job.

...one step ahead of the Sheriff.

wilko
05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
lets hope the dustup doesnt result in UK's recruits bailing out of their sinking ship and defecting to any of our rivals.

Priorities people..

airowe
05-04-2010, 10:32 PM
lets hope the dustup doesnt result in UK's recruits bailing out of their sinking ship and defecting to any of our rivals.

Priorities people..

They don't have any scholarships for two years...

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Priorities people..

Well, UNC has no scholarships available, and I dont think wed have to worry about Maryland with the likes of KU, Syracuse, uConn, etc. swooping in. I'm not so sure about NC State but a lot of their starting spots are already filled.

I would be fine with one of them defecting to any of the other ACC teams (including Maryland too) because we want a little competition.

UrinalCake
05-04-2010, 10:33 PM

Well, you can't always believe the first thing a coach says. In case you need further evidence, allow me to present the following:

link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy7ILTJILL0)

roywhite
05-04-2010, 10:35 PM

Priorities people..

Yep, I can just picture Ole Roy clearing out some roster space as we speak.

"Brandon Knight, hey, don't know if you heard, but the Wear boys are heading back to California and we just happen to have a scholarship or two available now..."

miramar
05-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Priorities people..

We should be careful what we wish for. No matter how good Coach Cal's recruiting has been, it certainly hasn't affected us, despite our initial disappointment in losing John Wall.

UrinalCake
05-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I'd be more worried about them going to Kansas or Michigan State. Fortunately, those schools already have PG's and probably wouldn't want to mess with a European center with eligibility issues.

Duvall
05-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Yep, I can just picture Ole Roy clearing out some roster space as we speak.

"Brandon Knight, hey, don't know if you heard, but the Wear boys are heading back to California and we just happen to have a scholarship or two available now..."

UNC does have a scholarship for next year, if only for next year...

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 10:45 PM
We should be careful what we wish for. No matter how good Coach Cal's recruiting has been, it certainly hasn't affected us, despite our initial disappointment in losing John Wall.

Well, it certainly would make the race for Quincy Miller a whole lot easier.

muzikfrk75
05-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Interesting...

Yep...looks like it's time close this thread...:p

hedevil
05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I'm a Bulls fan!

This can't be happening.:mad:

Before I hear any Michael Jordan(UNC) comments, I have a few words for you in my defense: Jason Williams, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon.:)

ElSid
05-04-2010, 10:57 PM
I'm a Bulls fan!

This can't be happening.:mad:

Before I hear any Michael Jordan(UNC) comments, I have a few words for you in my defense: Jason Williams, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon.:)

don't worry it's not going to happen. we can still like the bulls.

cameroncrazy3104
05-05-2010, 09:57 AM
I think a lot of us are forgetting that his former point guard at Memphis, Derick Rose, is the point guard on this bulls team. Plus, knowing Cal, he will ecstatic to get the contract that the Bulls are ready to offer (4-5 million).

CDu
05-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I think a lot of us are forgetting that his former point guard at Memphis, Derick Rose, is the point guard on this bulls team. Plus, knowing Cal, he will ecstatic to get the contract that the Bulls are ready to offer (4-5 million).

I believe that $4-5 million would be a paycut from his current job. Not to mention that job security as an NBA coach is next-to-nil.

Duvall
05-05-2010, 10:29 AM
I believe that $4-5 million would be a paycut from his current job. Not to mention that job security as an NBA coach is next-to-nil.

On the other hand, he'll have a whole front office to take care of payroll issues for him. At Kentucky he has to handle that himself.

Indoor66
05-05-2010, 10:30 AM

With his NCAA fadeout history, how secure is a college job?

JasonEvans
05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
I just don't think the Bulls will pony up the cash to get him. It will take more than $4-5 million. I am thinking more like $8-10 million.

But, if he is the guy who can give you a good shot at Lebron, then he is worth every penny. I still think the Nyets will throw a big offer at him.

Kentucky's prospects for next season are not nearly as bright as this past year and that means Cal's stock will fade. If he wants the NBA, now is the time to strike.

I think Cal would be a good choice for one of these teams. Recruiting a free agent in the NBA is probably not all that dissimilar from recruiting a player in college. With guys who are being offered a max contract, the money is the same no matter which team you sign with. The only difference is your relationship with the coach and the team that surrounds you. Cal is a master at making friends with the players.

--Jason "if I was the Nyets, I'd hire Cal in a heartbeat" Evans

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 12:40 PM
On the other hand, he'll have a whole front office to take care of payroll issues for him. At Kentucky he has to handle that himself.

Lol great point.

CameronBornAndBred
05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Cal at Kentucky for life? (or at least until the NCAA comes knocking)

UrinalCake
05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
So let's say you're the GM of the Nets or Bulls and you've decide to ignore all manner of recent history and hire a college coach with the hopes that he can succeed in the NBA. Who would you go after? Here's my short list:

Coach K - what hasn't he done? Has accomplished everything possible in college, and proved he can coach NBA players as well. Has not proven he can manage a salary cap or that sort of thing, but still, he is the college coach most likely to succeed in the NBA. Only problem is, he's made it crystal clear that he is not going anywhere, for any amount of money.

Tom Izzo - has been extremely underrated in college, and might be willing to make the jump to gain some recognition. To my knowledge he has never coached NBA players.

Roy Williams - also among the college elite, and served as an assistant on the Dream Team. Has coached many NBA-bound players at Kansas and UNC. Would he make the jump if offered? Hard to say but I suspect yes.

John Calipari - was unsuccessful as coach of the Nets, though I would guess that his career winning percentage probably exceeds that of this year's team. Knows the pro game better than any other college coach. Is also the most likely of this group to leave his college position.

Rick Pitino - would some team be willing to give him another shot? Like Cal he knows the pro game after a failed attempt in the league.

Any others? Jim Boeheim? Gary Williams?

Lord Ash
05-05-2010, 01:26 PM
So let's say you're the GM of the Nets or Bulls and you've decide to ignore all manner of recent history and hire a college coach with the hopes that he can succeed in the NBA. Who would you go after? Here's my short list:

Coach K - what hasn't he done? Has accomplished everything possible in college, and proved he can coach NBA players as well. Has not proven he can manage a salary cap or that sort of thing, but still, he is the college coach most likely to succeed in the NBA. Only problem is, he's made it crystal clear that he is not going anywhere, for any amount of money.

Tom Izzo - has been extremely underrated in college, and might be willing to make the jump to gain some recognition. To my knowledge he has never coached NBA players.

Roy Williams - also among the college elite, and served as an assistant on the Dream Team. Has coached many NBA-bound players at Kansas and UNC. Would he make the jump if offered? Hard to say but I suspect yes.

John Calipari - was unsuccessful as coach of the Nets, though I would guess that his career winning percentage probably exceeds that of this year's team. Knows the pro game better than any other college coach. Is also the most likely of this group to leave his college position.

Rick Pitino - would some team be willing to give him another shot? Like Cal he knows the pro game after a failed attempt in the league.

I cannot imagine a more ill-suited professional coach.

Jderf
05-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Cal at Kentucky for life? (or at least until the NCAA comes knocking)

Kentucky for life? Sounds like a prison sentence.

ChicagoCrazy84
05-05-2010, 02:04 PM

I feel like there's a good amount that could be a sexy pick for an NBA GM. Coach K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, and Calipari are the obvious choices but even guys like Thad Matta, Tubby Smith, Bob Huggins, Lorenzo Romar, Mark Few would all be intriguing picks. It's hard to say which ones would be the more successful ones, but I could see any of these guys on a GM's list.

camion
05-05-2010, 03:37 PM
My perfect storm scenario is where the team that drafts Wall gets Cal and Bron Bron in a double secret package deal.

left_hook_lacey
05-05-2010, 03:48 PM
According to the Scott Van Pelt show, the Bulls are saying that they're interested in hiring Calipari. Anyone think he'll go?

Kedsy
05-05-2010, 03:49 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21219

left_hook_lacey
05-05-2010, 03:50 PM
whoops

sagegrouse
05-05-2010, 03:56 PM
I feel like there's a good amount that could be a sexy pick for an NBA GM. Coach K, Tom Izzo, Roy Williams, and Calipari are the obvious choices but even guys like Thad Matta, Tubby Smith, Bob Huggins, Lorenzo Romar, Mark Few would all be intriguing picks. It's hard to say which ones would be the more successful ones, but I could see any of these guys on a GM's list.

I think a critical component for any transition from college to the NCAA is age. K is an exception because of who he is and his experience with NBA players, but IMHO most teams would be reluctant to hire a college coach who was over 50 into a HC job in the NBA. Unless, of course, he had already been an NBA head coach. By that standard, forget Izzo, Roy, Tubby, Boeheim, Gary Williams, and Huggy. Few and Matta are below 50, although I am not knowledgeable enough about how their coaching schemes would translate in the NBA. Lorenzo Romar of UDub is 52 but was an NBA player for five years -- maybe.

Since NBA coaching staffs have grown to include a large gaggle of assistants, I am not sure any college coaches have been hired. Whom am I forgetting?

sagegrouse

MChambers
05-05-2010, 04:01 PM
Since NBA coaching staffs have grown to include a large gaggle of assistants, I am not sure any college coaches have been hired. Whom am I forgetting?

sagegrouse

Mike Montgomery.

Indoor66
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
According to the Scott Van Pelt show, the Bulls are saying that they're interested in hiring Calipari. Anyone think he'll go?

Not if the Bulls are not interested. :rolleyes:

ChicagoCrazy84
05-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Im sorry, I just find it hard to imagine that Calipari would not listen to the Bulls if they came a knockin. It would be such a good situation to walk into. The Bulls are one of the better young teams in the NBA and will get one of the better free agents or two out there this summer. If the price was right, why not listen??

I'm sorry, but if the Bulls end up hiring Doug Collins, I quit. As a Bulls fan, I would love to have Coach Cal.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 04:16 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21219

This is already a thread.

HCheek37
05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
Chicago is the scary possible opening in my eyes for us Duke fans.

Coach K has established relationships with Noah and Rose through Team USA camps, and Deng through Duke.

Chicago has the money available to 'possibly' get Wade, Bosh, or Lebron as well.

Chicago is his hometown, has a great owner, and a legacy of winning.

Don't be surprised if his name comes to the surface in the near future, although I have full confidence that he will never leave after his recent comments.

Indoor66
05-05-2010, 04:43 PM

Coach K has established relationships with Noah and Rose through Team USA camps, and Deng through Duke.

Chicago has the money available to 'possibly' get Wade, Bosh, or Lebron as well.

Don't be surprised if his name comes to the surface in the near future, although I have full confidence that he will never leave after his recent comments.

K has repeatedly and categorically stated that he will finish his career as the Coach at Duke. He is 63 years old. Why would he want to start over now? I seriously doubt that money is an issue. He is for family and his family lives in Durham. (Also, I think Micky would kill him if he made that choice!)

dball
05-05-2010, 06:04 PM

When was Roy Williams an assistant on the Dream Team? Don't recall that.
Are you referring to the USA Bronze Medal Team of a few years ago?

BD80
05-05-2010, 07:17 PM
The man could sell ice to Eskimos.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/13350583/kentucky-coach-calipari-says-hes-interested-in-extension-not-raise?tag=headlines;other

Calipari says he told Barnhart that he welcomes the idea [about restructuring his contract] but doesn't want his compensation to change. He recently finished the first year of an eight-year deal that pays him just under $4 million a season.

The contract talks surfaced shortly after reports that Calipari was interested in coaching the NBA's Chicago Bulls.

Great spin!

Anyone want to bet the new deal will include provisions more beneficial to Cal? Like more guaranteed years, lower buy-out for him, higher buy-out when UK needs to can Cal.

Yet Cal spins this to suggest that all he wants is the chance to stay at UK longer!

Golly, shucks. Isn't he swell?

UrinalCake
05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Mike Montgomery.

Yeah, maybe include Tim Floyd in that group too. I dunno, if I'm an NBA GM I'd rather take a chance on someone who has never coached in the NBA before, rather than someone who has tried and failed.

If Florida returns to prominence then Billy Donovan may draw some attention, but as of now it appears his chance has passed.

So is Larry Brown basically the only college coach who has had success as an NBA guy?

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 12:13 AM

K has repeatedly and categorically stated that he will finish his career as the Coach at Duke. He is 63 years old. Why would he want to start over now? I seriously doubt that money is an issue. He is for family and his family lives in Durham. (Also, I think Micky would kill him if he made that choice!)

Gotta agree here. I think the Nets job would have been much more appealing with the new owner, possibly reuniting Jerry Colangelo as the gm, a good young big man (Lopez), the number one pick (Wall), and enough money to make a play for Lebron. Even though that looked appealing to us I loved what Coach K said about it,

"I turned down $5 million to coach the Lakers five years ago," Krzyzewski told Rueters, responding promptly to a voice mail message. "I'm not going anywhere."

Big Pappa
05-06-2010, 12:17 AM

Not to mention the fact that Noah is a scrub. To semi-quote mattman91 from the Austin Rivers thread - Casey Peters > Joakim Noah.

Just embarrassing...

http://theking34s.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/joakim_noah.jpg

fgb
05-06-2010, 12:26 AM
i'm not sure why anybody would worry at all about k leaving at this point. if he wants anything, it is to leave a legacy. he is three seasons away from becoming the winningest coach in ncaa history, and 4-5 seasons away from being the first ncaa men's coach to break the 1K mark. he's not walking away from that.

hedevil
05-06-2010, 12:50 AM
I would argue that K is only 2 seasons (one unbelievable season) away from being the winningest coach. I do agree on the breaking 1K mark though.:)

fgb
05-06-2010, 06:10 AM
agree that he could break the mark in two, maybe even probably. there are so many unforeseen factors, though; three seems like the sure bet.

hopefully, though, it's two.

man, do i love the fact that we're discussing not "if", but "when". it s an awesome thing, literally.

oldnavy
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
Yeah, maybe include Tim Floyd in that group too. I dunno, if I'm an NBA GM I'd rather take a chance on someone who has never coached in the NBA before, rather than someone who has tried and failed.

If Florida returns to prominence then Billy Donovan may draw some attention, but as of now it appears his chance has passed.

So is Larry Brown basically the only college coach who has had success as an NBA guy?

Quinn Synder.

JasonEvans
05-06-2010, 07:31 AM
agree that he could break the mark in two, maybe even probably. there are so many unforeseen factors, though; three seems like the sure bet.

hopefully, though, it's two.

You really need to check your math. If it takes Duke 3 years to get 35 more wins, then there are going to be a heck of a lot of disappointed fans around here.

He has a very real shot at doing it this coming season and 2 years is a virtual sure-thing unless the team suffers a pair of impossible to forsee meltdowns.

-Jason "868 - 902... that is where things stand right now" Evans

mgtr
05-06-2010, 09:09 AM
I wouldn't think that WWW would let Cal leave college coaching. That would mean that WWW would have to find a new outlet for his recruits. Maybe Huggins.

Grta
05-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Quinn Synder.
Chuck Daly

CEF1959
05-07-2010, 05:31 PM
One sad part about this report is that the KY AD, Mitch Barnhardt, is so proud of what Cal has done so far that he wants to give this 51 yo sleaze a life deal.

It made me feel the same way when a good friend told me his all-time favorite movie is Steel Magnolias. Like I need a shower.