PDA

View Full Version : Countdown to May 8

Olympic Fan
05-01-2010, 11:33 AM
We're exactly one week away from the deadline for players to players to withdraw their name from the NBA draft. We used to have to wait until mid-June for the withdraw deadline. Now by Midnight next Saturday, we'll know who's staying in the draft and who is coming back.

Just to keep track, 80 players formally submitted their names to the NBA before April 25, the deadline for declaration. Another 23 foreign players put their names in.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5147236

That's 103 prospects for 60 draft spots ... not counting the 5-10 seniors that will be drafted.

So far, two relative non-enities have withdrawn their names: well, Chris Wright of Dayton is pretty good, but I know nothing about Keith Benson of Oakland. Anyway, their action leaves 78 underclassmen in the draft.

From the ACC's point of view, we're waiting to know for sure about two guys:

Malcolm Delaney of Virginia Tech
Tracey Smith of N.C. State

Smith, his mother and Coach Lowe have all said that he's going to withdraw his name. Hope that's right. Delaney has been more coy. Everybody says that he's a second-round pick at best and the people I know at VPI are moderately confident that he'll withdraw (although one guy I talked to said that a few people around him are in his ear, telling him to stay).

Obviously, those decisions will have a huge impact on the 2010-11 fortunes of N.C. State and Virginia Tech.

The other ACC entries are almost certain to stay in. Three are projected lottery picks:

Ed Davis, UNC
Derrick Favors, Georgia Tech
Al-Farouq Aminu, Wake

Solomon Alabi of FSU (who has hired an agent) is also a borderline lottery pick.

Gani Lawal, Georgia Tech, will go later in the first round. But this is the second time he's submitted his name for early entry (he withdrew last year), so he's locked in.

Sylvan Landesberg is a likely second round pick, but he's reportedly hired an agent. Plus, he left Virginia without finishing the semester, so it's hard to see how he could come back even if he charged his mind (could he play somewhere else? Maybe Coach Cal should give him a call!).

Nationally, here are the decisions I'm most anxious to learn:

1. Gordon Hayward, Butler -- If he returns, Butler is a top five team. If not, they still a very good mid-major, but not top 10 quality.

2. JaJaun Johnson and E'Twan Moore -- Really needs to be a team decision. If both return, Purdue becomes a top five team. If both leave, they will be borderline top 25. Not sure how they rank if one returns and the other stays -- Johnson is the team's one real inside force ... Moore is their best perimeter scoring threat.

3. A.J. Oglivy, Vanderbilt -- the big Aussie is a likely second-round pick. He could return to Vandy and anchor a team that could make some noise in the SEC.

4. Samardo Samuels, Louisville -- another projected second-round pick. His return could give the Cards a reason to hope next season.

5. Drew Bledsoe and Daniel Orton, Kentucky -- I don't think this happens, but a lot of Kentucky fans are holding out hope that one or both will return. No report that either has hired an agent. Bledsoe is projected in the late lottery and Orton is projected in the top 20, so neither is likely to withdraw. As much as the Wildcats would love to have Bledsoe back, they need Orton more. But there was some ugliness when he left, plus if he returns, there will be questions about his spring academic work (or lack of it).

6. Alex Tyus, Florida -- I haven't heard any speculation from my Florida friends about Tyus returning, but he (1) hasn't hired an agent and (2) won't go in the first round. His return could bolster a Florida team that might be the SEC's best next season.

Those are the guys I'm waiting for ... feel free to add any additional information here.

SCMatt33
05-01-2010, 11:40 AM
5. Drew Bledsoe and Daniel Orton, Kentucky -- I don't think this happens, but a lot of Kentucky fans are holding out hope that one or both will return. No report that either has hired an agent. Bledsoe is projected in the late lottery and Orton is projected in the top 20, so neither is likely to withdraw. As much as the Wildcats would love to have Bledsoe back, they need Orton more. But there was some ugliness when he left, plus if he returns, there will be questions about his spring academic work (or lack of it).

Last time I checked, Drew Bledsoe has retired. Don't think that he has any college eligibility left, though it would be fun to see him try and play college basketball!

Olympic Fan
05-01-2010, 03:05 PM
Last time I checked, Drew Bledsoe has retired. Don't think that he has any college eligibility left, though it would be fun to see him try and play college basketball!

Oops ... nice correction. Eric, John ... whatever.

I paid attention when we were looking at him. Once he/we went in a different direction, he was dead to me.

It would be interesting to see him return to UK -- just to see what that goes to Knight, Lamb and company.

As for Orton, I'd love to see him come back to see the Louisville fans in that State starting digging to find out how he can leave campus after the tournament and still be eligible (plus I'm still holding out hope that that draftexpress dude that claims to have seen the desosit slips that prove Kanter was paid to play pro ball in Turkey can produce his evidence).

Dev11
05-01-2010, 04:25 PM
I saw the title of this thread and thought DBR was honoring my birthday this year. I see I was wrong.

DST Fan
05-02-2010, 12:09 PM
This morning's Washington Post has an article discussing the effect of shortening the window to withdraw from the NBA draft. The NCAA explains the reason for the new May 8 deadline as follows:

"In a statement, the NCAA said the longer time period was 'intrusive on academic performance during the spring and increased the potential for outside individuals to have a negative influence on the well-being of student-athletes.'"

Given that many schools are starting exams this week and next week, it seems to me that the old June 15 deadline may have been less "instrusive on academic performance."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/05/01/AR2010050102955.html

DukieBoy
05-02-2010, 12:52 PM
If Hayward comes back to Butler, that makes the Duke-BU rematch possibly the biggest game of the year for all of NCAAB. And judging by the news coming out of Butler, he seems to be leaning to coming back for another year.

Honestly, I think it's in his best interest to go to the draft. His stock isn't going to get any higher than this. Ask Ed Davis how it went for him last year.

Starter
05-02-2010, 01:14 PM
Well, Ed didn't actually hurt his stock. He'll get drafted pretty much exactly where he would have been drafted last season. Maybe even a little higher, given all the talented point guards in last year's draft and the teams that needed them. (And my Knicks STILL ended up with Jordan Hill... SMH) I get the point, it's often best to strike while the iron is hot -- though that also brings up Singler, who was Tournament MOP, and he's back. And Gerald, who all things considered, would probably say now that he should have come back to Duke for his senior season -- just a hunch.

And by the same token, I think Hayward should come back. Butler will get far more attention than they did most of this year, especially since they'll be in the Top 5, and he'll be in the spotlight along with a few other select players that fans actually know because everyone else has left early. Might his draft position suffer a bit? Maybe but not definitely, since he'll presumably get better as a player, he can leave next year for a weaker draft and his personal brand will have grown considerably with everyone watching him all the time on a potential repeat Final Four team.

snowdenscold
05-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I saw the title of this thread and thought DBR was honoring my birthday this year. I see I was wrong.

I thought they were honoring my impending wedding.

JG Nothing
05-02-2010, 04:02 PM
If Hayward comes back to Butler, that makes the Duke-BU rematch possibly the biggest game of the year for all of NCAAB. And judging by the news coming out of Butler, he seems to be leaning to coming back for another year.

What is your source? Articles and columnists in the Indy Star seem to think Hayward is gone. The Butler message boards do not indicate Hayward is leaning to come back.

DukieBoy
05-02-2010, 05:20 PM
What is your source? Articles and columnists in the Indy Star seem to think Hayward is gone. The Butler message boards do not indicate Hayward is leaning to come back.

From what I've been told, friends of mine have heard Hayward's father insist he's coming back. Again, strictly word of mouth, so I don't know how much trust you can truly put into it

Dev11
05-02-2010, 05:45 PM
I thought they were honoring my impending wedding.

If my day included attempting to consume 21 adult beverages, I would raise one in your honor! :D

gumbomoop
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
...... returns to VaT.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/11414/katz-latest-on-underclassmen-decisions [scroll down]

pfrduke
05-07-2010, 08:54 PM
...... returns to VaT.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/11414/katz-latest-on-underclassmen-decisions [scroll down]

Good news for the conference and a wise decision by Malcolm. They should be a top 4 team in the ACC next year, and will pose a serious threat to anyone traveling to Blacksburg. Also, if Seth mans up and schedules some legitimate out of conference opponents, they should have no trouble making the big dance.

Duvall
05-08-2010, 12:47 PM
2. JaJaun Johnson and E'Twan Moore -- Really needs to be a team decision. If both return, Purdue becomes a top five team. If both leave, they will be borderline top 25. Not sure how they rank if one returns and the other stays -- Johnson is the team's one real inside force ... Moore is their best perimeter scoring threat.

Johnson and Moore are both returning to Purdue (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100508/SPORTS0602/100508008/1277/LIVING20/JaJuan-Johnson-to-stay-at-Purdue?source=pn_s).

This probably makes the Boilermakers the presumptive #2 team going into next year. Three of the top five teams in the preseason could come from the Big Integer, with Purdue, Michigan State and Ohio State.

ScreechTDX1847
05-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Johnson and Moore are both returning to Purdue (http://www.indystar.com/article/20100508/SPORTS0602/100508008/1277/LIVING20/JaJuan-Johnson-to-stay-at-Purdue?source=pn_s).

This probably makes the Boilermakers the presumptive #2 team going into next year. Three of the top five teams in the preseason could come from the Big Integer, with Purdue, Michigan State and Ohio State.

hey could easily be the preseason #1 and would ahve a good argument. Purdue and Duke will be #1/2one way or the other.

CampbellBlueDevil
05-08-2010, 03:12 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5173431

Purdue will definitely be a tough team next year.

CameronBornAndBred
05-08-2010, 03:14 PM
I'm glad to see them both come back, they should be a great team next year.

El_Diablo
05-08-2010, 03:39 PM
As expected, Orton and Bledsoe are remaining in the draft.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/basketball/ncaa/05/08/kentucky.draft.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

devildeac
05-08-2010, 03:49 PM
Looks like there will be a lot of young men looking at construction jobs or taking a 6 week course in Greek/Italian/Turkish or some other foreign language starting late in June...:rolleyes:

BD80
05-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Now I would rather play Purdue than play MSU in the Challenge

sagegrouse
05-08-2010, 03:59 PM
hey could easily be the preseason #1 and would have a good argument. Purdue and Duke will be #1/2 one way or the other.

No reason to worry. Duke will be rated #1. Why? As defending National Champion, enough voters will take that into account to ensure that Duke starts the season on top.

I mean, the 2009 UNC team lost its top four players in terms of scoring and minutes and was voted #5 preseason.

sagegrouse

CameronBornAndBred
05-08-2010, 04:10 PM
No reason to worry. Duke will be rated #1.
It won't matter to me if we aren't even in the top 10. (We will be, of course.) The point is, this year is proof positive that where you start has no bearing on where you end up. :D

ElSid
05-08-2010, 04:58 PM
It won't matter to me if we aren't even in the top 10. (We will be, of course.) The point is, this year is proof positive that where you start has no bearing on where you end up. :D

Pretty sure we were preseason top 10 though. I think nine, to be exact. It's rare a team that wins the championship isn't included in the preseason top 10 discussion.

We'll be #1 for better or worse to start the season. I think we have the personalities to deal with it. Nothing will be taken for granted.

gumbomoop
05-08-2010, 05:48 PM

Yes, Big Number is #1 conf next year, with MSt and Purdue in top 3, probably OSt in top 5-6, and Ill, Minn, Wisc, even NW pretty good.

Unless I'm mistaken, Miami, as last-placers this past season, don't get to play in ACC-Big Challenge, and since Miami is probably 5-6 in ACC preseason, we lose a good team against Big opponent. Big should be solid favorite in Challenge.

As for national top 3-4, it just seems to me Duke is obvious, obvious #1, but I'd be just as happy to see somebody pick, well, MSt, Purdue, OSt 1-3, and dump Duke down to 4. But I think we're consensus #1, and should be. Too much, too much, on paper.