PDA

View Full Version : Duke Butler Rematch - December 4th

bluedevil2012
04-30-2010, 01:43 PM
According to Duke blue planet's twitter, we are playing Butler on 12/4 at the Meadowlands.

I don't think it's gonna be as close this time. Especially if Hayward is gone, I'd have to think we'd be favored by a lot more than we were in the championship game.

Thoughts?

DukieBoy
04-30-2010, 01:44 PM
just posted this on the MBB schedule thread

Several students at Butler have confirmed it for me too

cato
04-30-2010, 01:55 PM
I don't think it's gonna be as close this time.

To be fair, it couldn't get much closer. That said, who knows what will happen? Butler thrived on a very stingy D that knocked teams out of their comfort zone. A young Duke team still in the early stages of working in new members may have a lot of trouble figuring out that D.

6th Man
04-30-2010, 02:18 PM
I think it is cool they are going to play. To me, Duke and Butler were the 2 hardest working teams in college basketball. In a year where there was not a truely dominant team, it is fitting that the 2 teams that played the hardest met for the championship. Having said that, Duke has more talent heading into the season, but Butler will be wanting a little revenge I am sure. Either way, it will be a fun Dec. game and generate a ton of hype. Will be great!

Azdukefan
04-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Should be a fun game. Regardless of the outcome, we are still 2010 National Champs. But hey, we enter every year with intentions of winning them all so without winning this one we won't be undefeated.

Biscuit King
04-30-2010, 02:30 PM
Let's see how tough they are in front of a "neutral" crowd pulling for Duke, instead of a "neutral" crowd pulling for Butler!

kingboozer
04-30-2010, 02:43 PM
wish it was at cameron

rasputin
04-30-2010, 02:47 PM
wish it was at cameron

Or even at Hinkle.

gumbomoop
04-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Would be great if it's 1st of 3 seasons for this match. Well, it's great as is, so, greater.

Duvall
04-30-2010, 02:50 PM
Or even at Hinkle.

Meh. They had their chance for a home game.

gumbomoop
04-30-2010, 02:56 PM
Or even at Hinkle.

I'd be for that in Dec '11, then in CIS in '12. Especially if Butler and Stevens ride their almost-NC to high-mid-major-dominance for awhile. This is a series worth cultivating for a few years.

GODUKEGO
05-03-2010, 10:11 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/mensbasketball/2010-05-03-duke-butler-rematch_N.htm?csp=34sports&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+UsatodaycomSports-TopStories+%28Sports+-+Top+Stories%29&utm_content=Google+Feedfetcher

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-03-2010, 10:12 PM
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21167

BlueDevilBaby
05-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Might want to fix the headline with the rematch story. Isn't it Gordon Hayward, not Josh?

Anyway, already looking forward to the game with our without Gordon.

flyingdutchdevil
05-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Might want to fix the headline with the rematch story. Isn't it Gordon Hayward, not Josh?

The irony of DBR is how the front page frequently misspells players' names but our posters love to point out every misspelled name (whether it's a Duke player or not). Shear, shear irony.

Clipsfan
05-04-2010, 10:06 AM
The irony of DBR is how the front page frequently misspells players' names but our posters love to point out every misspelled name (whether it's a Duke player or not). Shear, shear irony.

Perhaps, but "Josh" is definitely a strange spelling of Gordon...

David
05-04-2010, 10:07 AM

Another way of looking at this is that this community really cares about spelling and accuracy w/ names. Whether it is some lowly poster like myself with less than 100 posts or the owners of the website writing on the frontpage, if you get something wrong, someone is going to call you on it. I like the way this applies to everyone...

That said, I would much rather play against this Josh Hayward than that Gordon guy from the championship game.

-jk
05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
The real issue on the main page is Julio gets up at 2 am, posts his stuff, and goes back to bed. There is no editor. Misteaks and mispellings will happen, but we get fresh content, however flawed, every morning.

Those of us posting on the board can take the time to be careful, and to think before we post.

Or before we decide not to post, as could often be the more thoughtful conclusion.

(And don't forget: we have time for our coffee - or other favorite stimulant - before posting, too!)

-jk

flyingdutchdevil
05-04-2010, 11:01 AM

The real issue on the main page is Julio gets up at 2 am, posts his stuff, and goes back to bed. There is no editor. Misteaks and mispellings will happen, but we get fresh content, however flawed, every morning.

Those of us posting on the board can take the time to be careful, and to think before we post.

Or before we decide not to post, as could often be the more thoughtful conclusion.

(And don't forget: we have time for our coffee - or other favorite stimulant - before posting, too!)

-jk

ummm....misteaks. Better than rump but not as good as T-bone.

Deslok
05-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Look 2 words later... you might find something else amiss, deliberately so I would imagine...

tbyers11
05-04-2010, 11:34 AM

I'm pretty sure -jk was being tongue-in-cheek.

Unless you were talking about removing the wool from sheep you might want to watch about the pot calling the kettle black :). Happens to the best if us.

Wait, maybe you were making a sly homophone joke. This is getting way too complicated for me. I'm out:D

flyingdutchdevil
05-04-2010, 11:37 AM

Unless you were talking about removing the wool from sheep you might want to watch about the pot calling the kettle black :). Happens to the best if us.

Wait, maybe you were making a sly homophone joke. This is getting way too complicated for me. I'm out:D

Nice ;). I always have the spelling police on my back so thought I'd give it a try. FAIL.

duke4life32182
05-04-2010, 11:38 AM
Can't wait. It should be a good game.

DukeUsul
05-04-2010, 11:39 AM

Come on people, we don't allow homophones on this board.

gumbomoop
05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Nice ;). I always have the spelling police on my back so thought I'd give it a try. FAIL.

No, you didn't fail, at least at sheer, sheer mischievousness.

devildeac
05-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Look 2 words later... you might find something else amiss, deliberately so I would imagine...

Shouldn't that be amis :rolleyes:;)?

Deslok
05-04-2010, 02:08 PM
was something amis, mon amiss?

Clipsfan
05-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Back to the issue at hand - is there any chance that the game ends up being as close, especially given that Duke should be as strong/stronger and Butler is going to lose a decent amount (as of now)?

BD80
05-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I am curious about giving Kyrie his home game in his freshman year. This game could have been played anywhere, so it seems that NJ was selected for a reason.

Does this indicate we are not planning to have a sophmore season of Kyrie?

Duvall
05-04-2010, 02:45 PM
I am curious about giving Kyrie his home game in his freshman year. This game could have been played anywhere, so it seems that NJ was selected for a reason.

I wouldn't read anything into this. Duke has played a December game in New York and New Jersey every year for the last decade or so. The choice of New Jersey probably had more to do with scheduling around the professional teams there than anything else.

CoBlueDevil
05-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't read anything into this. Duke has played a December game in New York and New Jersey every year for the last decade or so. The choice of New Jersey probably had more to do with scheduling around the professional teams there than anything else.

Exactly what I was going to say. And I dont think that the coaches can predict what a kid is going to do after one year of college ball. Yes Ki is probably a given for the lottery in the 2011 draft, but maybe he will want to come back. Never really know what is going to happen.

The game could definitely be a blowout, especially if gordon doesnt return. But still a cool rematch regardless.

swood1000
05-04-2010, 06:20 PM

It could also be that Brad Stevens insisted on (a) his court, (b) a neutral court, or (c) scheduling home-and-homes, like Gonzaga, and (b) was the only one that Coach K found palatable:

"We have been approached about [a regular-season rematch with the Blue Devils] but it all depends on the times and the dates," Stevens said Friday. "I think very few people want to play Duke, but if you have to play Duke in the national championship, you'll take it. Our hope is that this translates into more opportunities on neutral courts and getting home-and-homes, like Gonzaga." http://www.fayobserver.com/Articles/2010/04/10/990117

yancem
05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
I'd love to see a home and home but financially it might not make much sense for either team. I decent part of the financial aspect of any game is the ticket revenue. Neither CIS or Hinkle Field House have very large capacities, so while the TV revenue would be good, the ticket revenue not so much. Playing in MSG or the Meadowlands provides significantly greater ticket revenue while also providing great exposure outside of each team's home area.

In essence, a home and home would be great for us fans but probably not as beneficial to the teams.