PDA

View Full Version : Final 2010 recruit rankings

rotogod00
04-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Josh Selby has taken over the top spot from Brandon Knight (who drops to 6).

Incoming Dukies:
4. Kyrie Irving
56. Josh Hairston
140. Tyler Thornton

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-1909

Bluedog
04-30-2010, 01:32 PM
Rivals doesn't seem to know basketball...or just likes to be contrarian for some reason. Selby #1, really? He's good, but I don't know anybody else who has him as the top ranked player. Hairston at 56 also seems low to me, but I'm a bit biased there.

whereinthehellami
04-30-2010, 01:42 PM
I'd always heard Scout was better for basketball and Rivals was better for football. I'm not sure if that holds true anymore. I like RSCI (http://home.roadrunner.com/~rsci/RSCI_Summer_2010.htm)because it includes a bunch of rankings into their ranking. It doesn't look like it will be updated until June though.

Big Pappa
04-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Rivals doesn't seem to know basketball...or just likes to be contrarian for some reason. Selby #1, really? He's good, but I don't know anybody else who has him as the top ranked player. Hairston at 56 also seems low to me, but I'm a bit biased there.

I agree, it makes no sense to me that HB isn't number one overall. I can't stand UNC but even I can watch him play and say he is the best, almost without question.

rotogod00
04-30-2010, 02:09 PM

well, you may be right as espn (who recently updated their rankings) has hairston at 19

JohnGalt
04-30-2010, 02:13 PM
well, you may be right as espn (who recently updated their rankings) has hairston at 19

And they have Irving, Barnes, and Sullinger as the 98s. From what I can tell that makest he most sense. These guys should be the 1a-1c of the class with everyone else a tad below.

rotogod00
04-30-2010, 02:15 PM
And they have Irving, Barnes, and Sullinger as the 98s. From what I can tell that makest he most sense. These guys should be the 1a-1c of the class with everyone else a tad below.

actually, irving heads-up the group of 97s

JohnGalt
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
actually, irving heads-up the group of 97s

Interesting, did he drop? I could have sworn he was a 98 at one time?

rotogod00
04-30-2010, 02:20 PM
Interesting, did he drop? I could have sworn he was a 98 at one time?

not sure, but just looked at it (last updated 2 days ago)

JohnGalt
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
not sure, but just looked at it (last updated 2 days ago)

You're definately right; I just looked. I know the last time I looked he was a 98 and it definately was more than a couple days ago. That's strange. It seems to me he's had as impressive a last couple months as anyone what with all the All-Star Game MVPs and all...

tbyers11
04-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Scout's final 2010 rankings come out next week

http://twitter.com/EvanDanielscout/status/13130204420

COYS
04-30-2010, 02:39 PM
You're definately right; I just looked. I know the last time I looked he was a 98 and it definately was more than a couple days ago. That's strange. It seems to me he's had as impressive a last couple months as anyone what with all the All-Star Game MVPs and all...

espn is strange in that when you look on the non-recruiting team page, the recruits rankings have one extra point than they have in the insider recruiting pages. Don't know why but ivenoticed this every year for three years. That might account for the descrepency. As for Irving being a 97, that usually means he's slightly less NBA ready than a 98. In irving's case, tha has more to do with his body not quite ideal for the NBA rather than his skill. If he were slightly bigger or stronger, he'd be a 98 for sure. Either way he's going to be great for us and has a very bright future ahead of him as long as he works hard.

rotogod00
04-30-2010, 02:59 PM
espn is strange in that when you look on the non-recruiting team page, the recruits rankings have one extra point than they have in the insider recruiting pages. Don't know why but ivenoticed this every year for three years. That might account for the descrepency. As for Irving being a 97, that usually means he's slightly less NBA ready than a 98. In irving's case, tha has more to do with his body not quite ideal for the NBA rather than his skill. If he were slightly bigger or stronger, he'd be a 98 for sure. Either way he's going to be great for us and has a very bright future ahead of him as long as he works hard.

except that hairston is a 96 on both. could really be that irving was dropped a notch

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I dont respect rivils anymore

COYS
04-30-2010, 09:37 PM
except that hairston is a 96 on both. could really be that irving was dropped a notch

Hmm, you're right. Last year I am absolutely certain that all three of our incoming freshmen had their numbers bumped up one. I guess it is not consistent at all. Anyway, as I said, I wouldn't worry about the 98 vs. 97 thing, anyway. Either way Irving should be one of the best freshmen in the country next year. We will be lucky to have his services for more than one year.

Devil's Advocate
04-30-2010, 10:09 PM

I've been monitoring this over the past few months, and I always recall him as the first 97 on the list. But, after watching him at the Jordan game, it's hard to see how anyone could be ranked appreciably higher than him in this class.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-30-2010, 10:29 PM
I dont respect rivils anymore

Rivals*

MisterRoddy
05-01-2010, 12:00 AM
I agree, it makes no sense to me that HB isn't number one overall. I can't stand UNC but even I can watch him play and say he is the best, almost without question.

While HB is an outstanding player, I wouldnt say hes necesarily the best, and definitely not without question. When watching Barnes in the all-star games, he didnt really make any good passes as he shot it or drove it almost every time he touched the ball and a great deal of his points came from cherry picking, or easy put-backs. While he is a great player, he is certainly not hands down the best, imo.

I would rank the players in this order.

1) Sullinger
2) Irving
3) Barnes
4) Selby
5) Knight

- I didnt include Kanter because I dont think anyone has seen enough of him. While, yes, it was an all-star game (NHS), the USA roster obviously had no interest in defense and I believe Kanter benefited from being 1 of 4 reliable options for the World team (Kanter, Joseph, Thompson, another asian dude, cant remember his name but he was stroking it). I think thats why his numbers were a little bloated in the game but I do believe he is a Top 25 talent.

- One can say that my putting Irving ahead of Barnes is biased but thats what I truly believe. Irving has the whole package...handles, stroke, decision-making, speed, intelligence, intageables, and the ability to take over the game in crunch time.

airowe
05-04-2010, 01:32 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/967649.html

Notables:

Kyrie Irving #2 Overall, #1 PG

Josh Hairston #33 Overall, #7 PF

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-04-2010, 02:15 AM
Nice to see both of them move up, a little suprissed to see Brandon knight drop that far.

hedevil
05-04-2010, 02:21 AM
Glad to see Kyrie up to #2. #1 point guard. That sounds right to me. I'm eager to see who lands the ACC rookie honors in 2010-11. Barnes is a baller, but I like Kyrie's chances due to the fact that he will have the ball in his hands regularly. It's going to be fun to watch all of the talent coming in this year. There are so many quality freshman who will make an immediate impact.

Is it next season yet?:D

rotogod00
05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
and while he didn't crack the top 100, thornton came in as the #23 point guard. #19 finished at 97 overall, so if you project that out, thornton was probably in the 115-120 range.

Daniel tosh
05-04-2010, 08:41 AM
Suprised to see Kanter that high,granted i haven't seen him play.

rotogod00
05-04-2010, 08:44 AM
Suprised to see Kanter that high,granted i haven't seen him play.

yeah, he shot up the ranks of most sites

westwall
05-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Rivals also shows some shake up at the top, with Kanter now #3. Thornton is their #33 PG and #140 nationally.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1079783

UrinalCake
05-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I was looking at the number of point guards near the top of these lists and got to thinking... if there is indeed an NBA lockout in 2011 and a lot of guys choose to stay in college another year, then 2012 could be a phenomenal class for point guards. It would include guys from two classes:

Kyrie Irving
Josh Selby
Brandon Knight
Cory Joseph
Ryan Harrow

Marquis Teague
Quinn Cook

And several other guys who I'm not familiar with but could be considered NBA-ready. And that doesn't even include the current college guys who would be coming out too. It appears that 2012 has the makings of a great class for point guards, on par with 1999 (Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Andre Miller, Jason Terry, and William Avery all in the lottery) and 2005 (Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Raymond Felton).

And as long as I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself here, could this possibly impact Irving choosing to stay at Duke for a third year? One can only imagine...

Duvall
05-04-2010, 01:38 PM
I was looking at the number of point guards near the top of these lists and got to thinking... if there is indeed an NBA lockout in 2011 and a lot of guys choose to stay in college another year, then 2012 could be a phenomenal class for point guards. It would include guys from two classes:

Kyrie Irving
Josh Selby
Brandon Knight
Cory Joseph
Ryan Harrow

Marquis Teague
Quinn Cook

And several other guys who I'm not familiar with but could be considered NBA-ready. And that doesn't even include the current college guys who would be coming out too. It appears that 2012 has the makings of a great class for point guards, on par with 1999 (Steve Francis, Baron Davis, Andre Miller, Jason Terry, and William Avery all in the lottery) and 2005 (Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Raymond Felton).

And as long as I'm getting waaaay ahead of myself here, could this possibly impact Irving choosing to stay at Duke for a third year? One can only imagine...

Not sure how it could affect Irving if it turns out that he's better than all those other guys, which is what most people expect.

ThePublisher
05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
I think Irving stays with Duke for at least 2 years. Thats why coach K is hot to Rose in the 2012 class. Just looking at him, he needs to develop his body more to band with the nba guys. I think an offseason with Duke training and another year at the most prestigious position in college basketball will set him up just right.

CDu
05-04-2010, 02:13 PM
Not sure how it could affect Irving if it turns out that he's better than all those other guys, which is what most people expect.

Agreed. The depth at your position in the draft only matters if you aren't projected at or near the top at your position. It's the guys in the middle/bottom of the pack that would be affected. If Irving is as good as advertised, it won't matter what PG is in the class with him.

Big Pappa
05-04-2010, 03:17 PM
yeah, he shot up the ranks of most sites

I think it was mainly because of his game at the Nike Hoops Summit where he broke Dirk's scoring record with 34 points. He also grabbed 13 boards.

http://www.primetimepdx.com/press/NHS10_USA101-97.htm

ChicagoCrazy84
05-04-2010, 04:06 PM
I think it was mainly because of his game at the Nike Hoops Summit where he broke Dirk's scoring record with 34 points. He also grabbed 13 boards.

http://www.primetimepdx.com/press/NHS10_USA101-97.htm

That'll do it!

JohnGalt
05-05-2010, 02:05 AM

I'm not so sure this is all that far-fetched. The kid has an appreciation for earning a degree in a similar way Jason Williams did. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff sets him up on the same path as JWill so that, following his 2nd year he can weigh the 'make money now w/o a degree' or 'make money later with a degree' decision.

Of course if the lockout comes to fruition, none of this may matter. I personally don't think it will though as there's a tremendous amount of money involved on both ends.

gofurman
05-05-2010, 03:02 AM
I'm not so sure this is all that far-fetched. The kid has an appreciation for earning a degree in a similar way Jason Williams did. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff sets him up on the same path as JWill so that, following his 2nd year he can weigh the 'make money now w/o a degree' or 'make money later with a degree' decision.

Of course if the lockout comes to fruition, none of this may matter. I personally don't think it will though as there's a tremendous amount of money involved on both ends.

Is there anywhere with a recruiting ranking by team

JohnGalt
05-05-2010, 03:10 AM
Is there anywhere with a recruiting ranking by team

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=14&cfg=bb&yr=2010

Most of recruiting websites have team rankings...

gumbomoop
05-13-2010, 10:29 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/967649.html

Notables:

Kyrie Irving #2 Overall, #1 PG

Josh Hairston #33 Overall, #7 PF

If one compares Scout's final 2010 rankings in link above with the visual impact [??] in the link [I]below, one gets the impression that KI has passed HB. Undoubtedly merely a result of Scout's listing #1 guards before #1 forwards and center, but I sorta like the visual.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&yr=2010

Or maybe Scout read K's "Wow" remarks re KI.

Slackerb
05-14-2010, 09:08 AM
Prepstars.com released their final rankings for recruits for this year:

1. Harrison Barnes - UNC
4. Kyrie Irving - Duke
9. C.J. Leslie - NCSU
16. Reggie Bullock - UNC
17. Lorenzo Brown - NCSU
19. Ryan Harrow - NCSU
24. Kendall Marshall - UNC
28. Josh Hairston - Duke
34. Okaro White - FSU
36. Ian Miller - FSU
38. Rion Brown - Miami
47. JT Terrell - Wake Forest
50. Travis McKie - Wake Forest

roywhite
05-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Prepstars.com released their final rankings for recruits for this year:

1. Harrison Barnes - UNC
4. Kyrie Irving - Duke
9. C.J. Leslie - NCSU
16. Reggie Bullock - UNC
17. Lorenzo Brown - NCSU
19. Ryan Harrow - NCSU
24. Kendall Marshall - UNC
28. Josh Hairston - Duke
34. Okaro White - FSU
36. Ian Miller - FSU
38. Rion Brown - Miami
47. JT Terrell - Wake Forest
50. Travis McKie - Wake Forest

Ten of the top 50 going to the old "Big Four" North Carolina schools in the ACC. Very impressive, and certainly good for local rivalries.

Jderf
05-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Ten of the top 50 going to the old "Big Four" North Carolina schools in the ACC. Very impressive, and certainly good for local rivalries.

And eight of the top 30 going to the triangle. I wonder if the rivalry heat is going to start bubbling up into the research labs. It could adversely affect medical and technological advances.

roywhite
05-14-2010, 10:59 AM
And eight of the top 30 going to the triangle. I wonder if the rivalry heat is going to start bubbling up into the research labs. It could adversely affect medical and technological advances.

Well, I would certainly hope not.

I'm not in that field at all, but most business people I run into in the Triad and Triangle areas are able to separate their business/professional dealings from their fan loyalties for the most part.

rotogod00
07-12-2010, 12:42 PM
On RSCI's (http://rscihoops.com/) final composite rankings, Irving ended up tied for 2nd, Hairston ended up 32nd, and Thornton didn't make the top 100.

Kyrie's range was from 2 to 4, with an average of 3.2 and a STD of 1.0
Josh's range was from 19 to 56, with an average of 35.3 and a STD of 13.0

Kyrie moved up 2 spots from last summer's ranking (well, 1-and-a-half if you consider the tie), while Hairston slipped 5 spots.

Top 10 are as follows:

1. Barnes
2. Sullinger
2. Irving
4. Knight
5. Harris
6. Selby
7. Kanter
8. Jones
9. Thompson
10. Barton