jimsumner
04-29-2010, 01:02 PM
http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/964572.html

Just testing the waters? We shall see.

Duvall
04-29-2010, 01:11 PM
http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/964572.html

Just testing the waters? We shall see.

He should be back, but this would only happen to N.C. State.

Kedsy
04-29-2010, 01:24 PM
He should be back, but this would only happen to N.C. State.

Yeah, if he doesn't come back then all those other conversations about how good State's going to be are on the verge of moot.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-29-2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah, if he doesn't come back then all those other conversations about how good State's going to be are on the verge of moot.

I don't know about that. They would still be a very good team. Word is that high scoring SF Tashawn Mabry is on the verge of committing to State. They would still be a very talented (albeit small) team that could cause some teams problems.

jimsumner
04-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Size wouldn't be an issue. State has Richard Howell and the Aussie Vandenberg coming back. Both are as big as Smith or bigger. Painter is taller but skinny. But none of this trio is remotely as talented or as experienced as Smith. With Horner and Degand using up their eligibility and Julius Mays transferring, losing Smith would leave State with Gonzalez, Williams and a bunch of sophomores and freshmen.

JasonEvans
04-29-2010, 02:50 PM
I don't know about that. They would still be a very good team. Word is that high scoring SF Tashawn Mabry is on the verge of committing to State. They would still be a very talented (albeit small) team that could cause some teams problems.

Ummm, Tashawn Mabry would not be a kid expected to make an immediate impact on an ACC team. According to Scout and Rivals, schools like Elon, Winthrop, and UNC-Wilmington seem to be the major other suitors for his services. I know Duke had a glance at him at one point, but I don't think we ever came close to offering a scholarship. Providence, Clemson, and a couple other BCS-conference teams have looked at him, but (again) I have not heard of scholarship offers being made.

There is NO WAY that he is anything close to a replacement for Tracy Smith. NO WAY!

--Jason "losing Smith would be a devestating blow to State, but I suspect he is just testing the waters and will withdraw" Evans

ChicagoCrazy84
04-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Ummm, Tashawn Mabry would not be a kid expected to make an immediate impact on an ACC team. According to Scout and Rivals, schools like Elon, Winthrop, and UNC-Wilmington seem to be the major other suitors for his services. I know Duke had a glance at him at one point, but I don't think we ever came close to offering a scholarship. Providence, Clemson, and a couple other BCS-conference teams have looked at him, but (again) I have not heard of scholarship offers being made.

There is NO WAY that he is anything close to a replacement for Tracy Smith. NO WAY!

--Jason "losing Smith would be a devestating blow to State, but I suspect he is just testing the waters and will withdraw" Evans

Not saying that he is a replacement for him necessarily, but he would be another scoring option in the frontcourt. You can't make the assumption that he won't be ready to contribute based on what schools are looking at him. Scott Wood? :D

wolfpackdevil
04-29-2010, 03:41 PM
This would be a disaster for NC State. Tracy Smith was almost unstopable for most of the season on the offensive side of the floor. He will be a first team all-acc player if he comes back for his senior year.

If he does not, State won't make the NCAA Tournament.

wolfpackdevil
04-29-2010, 03:59 PM
I don't know what happened, but we should no longer worry about Tracy Smith testing the waters.

His Facebook status from 3:58pm:

"Dear people, I am 100% coming back to play my senior with Lorenzo Brown. Ryan Harrow, and Cj Leslie at NC STATE."

Good to see.

Kedsy
04-29-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't know what happened, but we should no longer worry about Tracy Smith testing the waters.

His Facebook status from 3:58pm:

"Dear people, I am 100% coming back to play my senior with Lorenzo Brown. Ryan Harrow, and Cj Leslie at NC STATE."

Good to see.

That is good news. I'm looking forward to seeing a re-energized State (although possibly not for Duke's visit to Raleigh, if we have one next year).

pfrduke
04-29-2010, 06:02 PM
That is good news. I'm looking forward to seeing a re-energized State (although possibly not for Duke's visit to Raleigh, if we have one next year).

We do have one next year. We play NCSU twice (along with Miami, UVA, UNC, and Maryland).

CDu
04-29-2010, 06:05 PM
We do have one next year. We play NCSU twice (along with Miami, UVA, UNC, and Maryland).

So theoretically, we have a pretty even distribution here: NCSU and UNC should be two of the better teams in the league next year, and UVa and Maryland should probably be closer to the bottom. Miami is a bit of a wild card, because they were bad this year but looked much better down the stretch as Scott and Johnson stepped up.

Slackerb
04-29-2010, 06:07 PM
Every kid gets the one free pass to test the waters without signing an agent.

Smith is just looking to get info on what he needs to work on for next year's draft.....namely a jumpshot and a better face-up game.

Everyone calm down, Smith has repeatedly said that he is coming back for his senior year. :D

CPDUKEGUY24
04-29-2010, 06:32 PM
So theoretically, we have a pretty even distribution here: NCSU and UNC should be two of the better teams in the league next year, and UVa and Maryland should probably be closer to the bottom. Miami is a bit of a wild card, because they were bad this year but looked much better down the stretch as Scott and Johnson stepped up.

I dont know if we should assume that UVA and Md. are gonna be "closer to the bottom" of the ACC next yr. Tony Bennett has a solid class coming in, and though they are losing Landesburgh, he is a heck of a motivator. Will the team buy in?

The twerps are losing their leader, but they still have some players. Although, we have put the beat down on Md. pretty badly a few times in the past couple years, Gary Williams seemingly never lets us embarass his team twice in one year!

Not to mention, its the ACC!! Anything could happen.:p

Duvall
04-29-2010, 06:44 PM
I dont know if we should assume that UVA and Md. are gonna be "closer to the bottom" of the ACC next yr. Tony Bennett has a solid class coming in, and though they are losing Landesburgh, he is a heck of a motivator.

Based on what? Losing 10 of 11 to finish the season?

Slackerb
04-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Why does the front page say that Tracy is making a mistake.

Clearly uninformed journalism and reporting.

CameronBornAndBred
04-29-2010, 07:12 PM
Why does the front page say that Tracy is making a mistake.

Clearly uninformed journalism and reporting.
Exactly. He's a rising senior, it would be more of a mistake to not go see where he stands. I really think Nolan and Kyle should have done the same, it doesn't cost them a dime and it's got to be a great experience. I'm assuming they didn't due to the distraction it would have caused.

Starter
04-29-2010, 07:36 PM
They moved the deadline to pull out back from June 15 to May 8. It wouldn't have afforded a whole lot of time to make decisions.

duketaylor
04-29-2010, 07:51 PM
State did get a commitment from CJLeslie, so they're building pretty well right now.

CDu
04-29-2010, 08:16 PM
I dont know if we should assume that UVA and Md. are gonna be "closer to the bottom" of the ACC next yr. Tony Bennett has a solid class coming in, and though they are losing Landesburgh, he is a heck of a motivator. Will the team buy in?

The twerps are losing their leader, but they still have some players. Although, we have put the beat down on Md. pretty badly a few times in the past couple years, Gary Williams seemingly never lets us embarass his team twice in one year!

Not to mention, its the ACC!! Anything could happen.:p

Maryland is not only losing its leader, but also their other really good senior PG (Hayes) and their senior forward (Milbourne). So they're losing arguably their three best players (and certainly three of their four best players), and both of their PG. It would be an amazing effort by Williams to keep them in the top half.

UVa was a pretty bad team last year and they lose Landesburg and Meyinsse. Bennett will make them better than they should be, but this was a bottom-half team this year and they're likely to be less talented next year.

Newton_14
04-29-2010, 08:17 PM
Exactly. He's a rising senior, it would be more of a mistake to not go see where he stands. I really think Nolan and Kyle should have done the same, it doesn't cost them a dime and it's got to be a great experience. I'm assuming they didn't due to the distraction it would have caused.

I am not sure on that. Is there really a benefit to testing the waters? With the connections that K and Lowe have in the NBA, I think kids can get more than enough information to make an intelligent decision.

The year that Lawson, Green, and Ellington tested the waters was the last year that the NBA held that draft camp for all the players to attend. Now it is only individual workouts with 3 or 4 kids at a time being watched by one team at a time. And given the shorter deadline to pull out, getting seen by more than 3 or 4 teams is almost impossible.

It may have been beneficial back when the camp was available and the deadline was longer, but now I don't think there is that big of a benefit at all. Especially for Duke, State, or unc@ch kids.

I hope Smith comes back. At his size and skillset there is no way he sees PT on a NBA team next year.

roywhite
04-29-2010, 10:13 PM
Every kid gets the one free pass to test the waters without signing an agent.

Smith is just looking to get info on what he needs to work on for next year's draft.....namely a jumpshot and a better face-up game.

Everyone calm down, Smith has repeatedly said that he is coming back for his senior year. :D

Test the waters?

Well, certainly could be; I have no inside info.

But why declare on April 29 with May 8 being the date to back out of the draft?

That's barely sticking a toe into the water. Or is this actually a full-fledged (ill-advised?) plunge?

DevilHorns
04-29-2010, 10:23 PM
An NC state alum told me that his facebook states he is staying. Not friends with him on facebook (obviously), so cant verify.

wolfpackdevil
04-29-2010, 10:47 PM
For the 2nd time...

TRACY SMITH WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!

I have seen his facebook status confirming it. He is only testing the waters so he can go to a couple of camps or workouts to find out on what he needs to work on for next year.

UrinalCake
04-30-2010, 12:48 AM
I really think Nolan and Kyle should have done the same, it doesn't cost them a dime and it's got to be a great experience. I'm assuming they didn't due to the distraction it would have caused.

Well it does cost you the travel expenses of going to work out for the teams. I think I recall that players are allowed to have some expenses covered and not lose their eligibility, but there's still the time and effort of going through the process. I think they have more to lose by going and being "exposed" that they could potentially gain. Besides, they're probably still celebrating and dealing with finals and what-not.

superdave
04-30-2010, 09:25 AM
For the 2nd time...

TRACY SMITH WILL BE BACK NEXT YEAR!!

I have seen his facebook status confirming it. He is only testing the waters so he can go to a couple of camps or workouts to find out on what he needs to work on for next year.

They need to adjust the dates to a two-tiered system. First, everyone goes to pre-draft camp where they do height, weight, vertical, cinder-block measurements, etc. Then they play aginst one another for a week. At the end of this scouts vote on who gets invited to stay and who must return to school. Second, those who are invited to remain go through all the usual team visits, interviews, one one one workouts, etc.

Maybe a player must have 2/3rds of teams vote yes for him to stay.

But I could tell Tracy Smith right now what he needs to work on - face-up move #1 (dribble drive) and face-up move #2 (jumper).

Slackerb
04-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I applaud Tracy's efforts to be evaluated by the pros and try to improve himself, if only for a few days.

Smart kid.

jimsumner
04-30-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm not sure what tangible benefit Smith gets for a week in the draft pool. "Gee, Tracy it would help if you could grow three inches."

I suspect he knows exactly what he needs to do and the NBA knows exactly what he needs to do. He's played three years in the ACC for crying out loud, not the Atlantic Sun and his college coach used to coach in the NBA. Anybody really think Smith lacks adequate information?

BTW, anybody else remember when that Randolph fella declared for the draft just so he could work out for the NBA? His assurances that he was coming back to school were almost word-for-word what we're hearing from Smith.

Then again, he didn't have Facebook.

arnie
04-30-2010, 03:37 PM
I'm not sure what tangible benefit Smith gets for a week in the draft pool. "Gee, Tracy it would help if you could grow three inches."

I suspect he knows exactly what he needs to do and the NBA knows exactly what he needs to do. He's played three years in the ACC for crying out loud, not the Atlantic Sun and his college coach used to coach in the NBA. Anybody really think Smith lacks adequate information?

BTW, anybody else remember when that Randolph fella declared for the draft just so he could work out for the NBA? His assurances that he was coming back to school were almost word-for-word what we're hearing from Smith.

Then again, he didn't have Facebook.

It's unlikely, but if he looks great and someone tells him he has a good shot at even a 2nd round pick - who's to stay he doesn't stay in. Wilder things have happened, and I never believed Shav would leave early.

Newton_14
05-07-2010, 11:28 PM
Tracy Smith made it official today that he is pulling out of the draft and coming back to school. Good for NC State. With Smith manning the middle they should have a really good team.

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/ncsu/story/7563102/

Also, WTVD is reporting that Delaney is coming back to Va Tech.

Both decisions help the ACC

jipops
05-08-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm very happy these guys will be back in ACC action next season. The conference is looking very strong. Delaney is a 1st team ACC talent, his return is a real treat.

ACCBBallFan
05-08-2010, 10:55 PM
That should give NC State and VA Tech a good shot at top third in ACC

Harrow-Gonzalez-Wood-Leslie-Smith (not sure if Dorenzo Brown will qualify)

Delaney-Hudson-Bell-Allen-Davilla

Olympic Fan
05-09-2010, 12:18 AM
(not sure if Dorenzo Brown will qualify)

Delaney-Hudson-Bell-Allen-Davilla

It's LORENZO Brown .. and he will almost certainly qualify.

It's Dorenzo Hudson ... and I'm not sure the Chaney won't start fror the Hokies.