PDA

View Full Version : UConn recruiting violations

G man
04-28-2010, 06:36 PM
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-jim-calhoun-journal,0,7960252.story

ESPN just announced it on sport center as well!

Not sure if anyone else had started a thread on this, but felt it was needed.

BlueDevilBaby
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Interesting. My UConn loving cousin with whom I just had lunch is not going to like this. Wish I knew it before lunch time.;)

DukeGirl4ever
04-28-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok, so the article is supposed to be about these "violations" yet most of it talks about Calhoun's contract extension and how that was affecting the recruiting process.

So, what are these supposed violations?

Olympic Fan
04-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Ok, so the article is supposed to be about these "violations" yet most of it talks about Calhoun's contract extension and how that was affecting the recruiting process.

So, what are these supposed violations?

The article linked above refers to this one in the Wall Street Journal, which cites a source saying the NCAA has found infractions and will be issuing a report soon:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471204575210401099496076.html

hc5duke
04-28-2010, 07:13 PM
here's a report from yahoo (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ys-uconnphone032509) that was posted on dbr last year - if it's regarding the same alleged violations

4decadedukie
04-28-2010, 07:36 PM
To quote Claude Rains (Captain Renault) in Casablanca, "I'm shocked, shocked to discover" Big East thug-ball at UConn. Here's the full WSJ article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471204575210401099496076.html

LSanders
04-28-2010, 07:55 PM
To quote Claude Rains (Captain Renault) in Casablanca, "I'm shocked, shocked to discover" Big East thug-ball at UConn.

In keeping with the theme:

Ugarte/(Calhoun): You despise me, don't you?

Rick/(The rest of us): If I gave you any thought, I probably would ... I don't mind a parasite. I object to a cut-rate one.

Regarding troubles at UCONN ... Eh, that's a shame!

(Think Roscoe's still happy about "placing his career" in Calhoun's hands?)

airowe
04-28-2010, 08:01 PM
(Think Roscoe's still happy about "placing his career" in Calhoun's hands?)

I don't think he had much choice in the matter...

cspan37421
04-28-2010, 08:08 PM
I know Kelvin S. got nailed badly for this very stuff, but it's very hard for me to get worked up about excessive text messages. It just doesn't rile me as much as a box of money popping open at a FedEx facility, or a house for the parents, or a new sports car. [Meals - OK, at least that is something tangible, but this is small potatoes, IMO]

Wonder if the recruits could voluntarily sign up for a Twitter feed instead. I guess that's not personalized, but maybe it would not count as excessive texts if it was more of a feed than a personal communication.

theAlaskanBear
04-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I know Kelvin S. got nailed badly for this very stuff, but it's very hard for me to get worked up about excessive text messages. It just doesn't rile me as much as a box of money popping open at a FedEx facility, or a house for the parents, or a new sports car. [Meals - OK, at least that is something tangible, but this is small potatoes, IMO]

Wonder if the recruits could voluntarily sign up for a Twitter feed instead. I guess that's not personalized, but maybe it would not count as excessive texts if it was more of a feed than a personal communication.

From what I was reading about UConn, its not coaches texting the recruit, but coaches talking to a registered agent who was taking care of the recruit. Apparently they also tried to set him up with a prep school his final year in high school.

-bdbd
04-28-2010, 09:19 PM
To quote Claude Rains (Captain Renault) in Casablanca, "I'm shocked, shocked to discover" Big East thug-ball at UConn.

".....Excuse me, sir, here are your winnings..." as UCONN discreetly pickets the coins....

mgtr
04-29-2010, 02:06 AM
".....Excuse me, sir, here are your winnings..." as UCONN discreetly pickets the coins....

I doubt that UConn would ever "picket" the coins. Pocket, which you probably meant, definitely.

PhillyDuke
04-29-2010, 06:53 AM
Maybe Roscoe Smith will come to Duke!

airowe
04-29-2010, 07:57 AM
Maybe Roscoe Smith will come to Duke!

That's certainly not going to happen.

PhillyDuke
04-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Why not? If there are sanctions against UCONN (not involving Smith's recruitment) he can reopen his recruitment.

alteran
04-29-2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-men/hc-uconn-jim-calhoun-journal,0,7960252.story

ESPN just announced it on sport center as well!

Not sure if anyone else had started a thread on this, but felt it was needed.

Gee, ESPN announced shenanigans at UConn? Must have reached the point where it cannot be denied.

blueprofessor
04-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Gee, ESPN announced shenanigans at UConn? Must have reached the point where it cannot be denied.

Even rats jump off a sinking ship.

Best regards--Blue Prof:)

airowe
04-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Why not? If there are sanctions against UCONN (not involving Smith's recruitment) he can reopen his recruitment.

Because Duke backed away from Roscoe before his recruitment was over.

Olympic Fan
04-29-2010, 02:10 PM

It has nothing to do with the NCAA ... everything to do with Coach K.

He moves on and he doesn't look back -- his favorite phrase is "next play."

Something similar happened with Baron Davis -- Duke wanted him badly, but Baron committed to UCLA. K moved on to Will Avery.

Then some problems began to emerge with Harrick's program ... long story short, Davis called K and said he'd changed his mind and wanted to come. K told him that he had moved on and wasn't interested (even though he loved Baron Davis as a player).

Since Smith, Duke has landed Carrick Felix ... and Michael G(sorry, I can't spell his name off the top of my head) to play that position. K won't betray them to land Smith.

(And not to trash a kid we were interested in, but my understanding is that one of the reasons he ended up at UConn was that we looked at his grades and couldn't offer ).

Whatever -- Roscoe Smith is NOT coming to Duke.

blueprofessor
04-29-2010, 02:22 PM
It has nothing to do with the NCAA ... everything to do with Coach K.

He moves on and he doesn't look back -- his favorite phrase is "next play."

Something similar happened with Baron Davis -- Duke wanted him badly, but Baron committed to UCLA. K moved on to Will Avery.

Then some problems began to emerge with Harrick's program ... long story short, Davis called K and said he'd changed his mind and wanted to come. K told him that he had moved on and wasn't interested (even though he loved Baron Davis as a player).

Since Smith, Duke has landed Carrick Felix ... and Michael G(sorry, I can't spell his name off the top of my head) to play that position. K won't betray them to land Smith.

(And not to trash a kid we were interested in, but my understanding is that one of the reasons he ended up at UConn was that we looked at his grades and couldn't offer ).

Whatever -- Roscoe Smith is NOT coming to Duke.

OF--Wasn't there a problem re Davis before his commitment to UCLA, when he was leaning to Duke, to the effect that he demanded to speak to K during a very private time the week K's mom died?
K and the staff were offended by Davis's self-absorbtion and soured on him?

Best regards--Blue Prof :)

CEF1959
04-29-2010, 02:53 PM
I feel sorry for K. He must feel sick about this. He and Calhoun have been such close friends over the years.

alteran
04-29-2010, 03:07 PM
OF--Wasn't there a problem re Davis before his commitment to UCLA, when he was leaning to Duke, to the effect that he demanded to speak to K during a very private time the week K's mom died?

That's basically what I've heard.

airowe
05-27-2010, 09:36 PM
UCONn is falling apart at the seams.

http://www.zagsblog.com/2010/05/27/uconn-loses-2-assistants-skerry-leaves-providence/

DevilHorns
05-28-2010, 10:20 AM
ESPN is having some glitches, but UCONN has 8 violations.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5228593

RoyalBlue08
05-28-2010, 11:16 AM
Wait? Violations at UConn?? Shocking! ESPN is also running a story that the Pope does in fact wear a funny hat...

devildeac
05-28-2010, 12:42 PM
You have to wonder what sort of penalties Cleveland State will amass out of this problem...:rolleyes:

miramar
05-28-2010, 12:54 PM

IIRC, Feinstein writes about it in one of his books, but I don't remember all of the details. I believe that the assistants were still speaking to Davis, so it wasn't like Duke had forgotten about him.

OldPhiKap
05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Well, the taxpayers of CT must be thrilled about this after he just re-upped.

JasonEvans
05-28-2010, 01:31 PM
The NCAA report says Calhoun, "failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance." Maybe it is just me but that seems like a pretty serious allegation by the NCAA against a coach. Isn't that like saying he did not care if rules were broken? If this was a school that gave a damn about their reputation for honesty, the coach would be fired or allowed to gracefully retire.

I expect UConn to give Calhoun a raise and contract extension.

Wait, they already did that a few weeks ago even though everyone knew this slapdown was coming.

--Jason "At least we know where they stand on the honesty meter" Evans

Olympic Fan
05-28-2010, 02:23 PM
The NCAA report says Calhoun, "failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance." Maybe it is just me but that seems like a pretty serious allegation by the NCAA against a coach. Isn't that like saying he did not care if rules were broken? If this was a school that gave a damn about their reputation for honesty, the coach would be fired or allowed to gracefully retire.

I expect UConn to give Calhoun a raise and contract extension.

Wait, they already did that a few weeks ago even though everyone knew this slapdown was coming.

--Jason "At least we know where they stand on the honesty meter" Evans

The part of the report that flabbergasted me was that two of Calhoun's assistants were found to have "lied to or misled" NCAA investigators.

That's a HUGE deal -- it's the reason Maryland got smacked down so hard in the Rudy Archer case. It's usually the one unforgiveable sin to the NCAA (even if the lying coaches were dismissed ... Bob Wade was fired too and it didn't help Maryland).

And yet, the story quotes a UConn official as saying the penalties will probably not include probation. Wow, if that's true, I'm baffled.

Jderf
05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
... and yet, the story quotes a UConn official as saying the penalties will probably not include probation. Wow, if that's true, I'm baffled.

Not so surprising if you wonder whether or not said official is just trying his best to downplay the whole ordeal, which is what you would expect. Although, if this stuff keeps piling on he won't be able to just close his eyes and cross his fingers much longer. Also, props for the Émile Zola reference on the front page :).

JasonEvans
05-28-2010, 02:40 PM
The part of the report that flabbergasted me was that two of Calhoun's assistants were found to have "lied to or misled" NCAA investigators.

That's a HUGE deal -- it's the reason Maryland got smacked down so hard in the Rudy Archer case. It's usually the one unforgiveable sin to the NCAA (even if the lying coaches were dismissed ... Bob Wade was fired too and it didn't help Maryland).

And yet, the story quotes a UConn official as saying the penalties will probably not include probation. Wow, if that's true, I'm baffled.

No probation??!?! They "made improper phone calls and text messages to recruits, gave recruits improper benefits and improperly distributed free tickets to high school coaches and others." They also lied about it when the NCAA began investigating.

UConn's outside counsel who is handling this for the University says the penalities likely won't include probation because UConn did not gain any competitive advantage from the actions because Nate Miles never suited up for UConn.

I think he is spinning this as best he can and making arguments in the media that he hopes will reach the NCAA's ears.

My question would be-- are we supposed to believe they broke the rules over and over again when it came to recruiting Nate Miles but did everything honest in recruiting other kids? As Seth Meyers and amy Poehler would say, "Really??!"

--Jason "NCAA will hand out penalties in October... and I bet UConn is banned from the 2011 NCAA tourney" Evans

Duvall
05-28-2010, 02:45 PM
--Jason "NCAA will hand out penalties in October... and I bet UConn is banned from the 2011 NCAA tourney" Evans

I don't see it, especially after Bristol buries the story. I'll take the other side of that bet.

CameronBornAndBred
05-28-2010, 02:50 PM
UConn's outside counsel who is handling this for the University says the penalities likely won't include probation because UConn did not gain any competitive advantage from the actions because Nate Miles never suited up for UConn.

I think he is spinning this as best he can and making arguments in the media that he hopes will reach the NCAA's ears.

My guess is that the NCAA won't appreciate getting second guessed on what actions they should take.

mgtr
05-28-2010, 02:58 PM

UConn will probably argue that they should just be banned retroactively from the 2010 NCAA tournament! :rolleyes:

SilkyJ
05-28-2010, 03:36 PM
UConn will probably argue that they should just be banned retroactively from the 2010 NCAA tournament! :rolleyes:

The "time served" argument. I like it!

I was always back and forth on whether Calhoun was a dirty guy or not. I don't think of him as the type to downright pay a kid, but I can definitely see the fostering of an atmosphere that is conducive to some questionable stuff. Not quite a win at all costs, but a win at some costs type of guy...then throw the assistant who actually did it under the bus and claim ignorance.

I didn't know he was good friends with Coach K as someone else mentioned. If so I would definitely think he's generally a good guy and that would alter my opinion of him. Is this actually true?

Mal
05-28-2010, 03:53 PM
I thought that comment you reference was tongue firmly in cheek, Silky. My impression is that K and Calhoun are not exactly pals, although I could be wrong about that. Don't recall any particular animosity, but nor do I recall warm fuzzies between the two.

Olympic Fan
05-28-2010, 06:39 PM
I know K is very close to Jim Beoheim ... also PJ Carlesimo, Bobby Cremins and all of his ex-players in the coaching ranks. I think he and Mike Jarvis were friendly.

I never heard that he was close with Calhoun.

NYC Duke Fan
05-29-2010, 05:58 AM
I know K is very close to Jim Beoheim ... also PJ Carlesimo, Bobby Cremins and all of his ex-players in the coaching ranks. I think he and Mike Jarvis were friendly.

I never heard that he was close with Calhoun.

Boeheim was one of his assistant coaches in the 2008 Olympic team. He was the only college coach, the other 2 were pro coaches, Mike D'Antoni and Nate McMillan, so he obviously is very close with Boeheim.

As an aside, it took a while for people to realize what a damn good coach Boeheim is. I rank him there with the likes of Izzo, Roy, etc.

4decadedukie
05-29-2010, 07:22 AM
Am I mistaken, or are UConn's NCAA judgment day and "Midnight Madness" for the 2010 - 2011 season near-simultaneous? Can you imagine Dickie, Digger, Jay, and the remaining college hoops pundits that evening if the Huskies are precluded from post-season play!!!

Indoor66
05-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Am I mistaken, or are UConn's NCAA judgment day and "Midnight Madness" for the 2010 - 2011 season near-simultaneous? Can you imagine Dickie, Digger, Jay, and the remaining college hoops pundits that evening if the Huskies are precluded from post-season play!!!

Dickie will have apoplexy if something happens to Calhoun!

WiJoe
05-29-2010, 03:49 PM

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

No way.

BD80
06-10-2010, 09:04 PM
HMMMMM. This makes it interesting ...

A Nov. 22, 1999, memo from Bill Shults, then a university compliance officer, informs the basketball staff that former team manager Josh Nochimson was off limits because he was considered to be an agent by the NCAA.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=5272784

The staff then went after Nate Miles, through Nochimson.

Ruh, roh.

greybeard
06-11-2010, 12:02 AM
Seems like college basketball is in for some rocky times.

Leagues are breaking up, next year the Big East will be little, UNC--garbage, Izzo, the pros, tons of top talent gone, the NCAA soon to be eclipsed by mega conferences making their own mega deals with ESPN. If I were the NCAA, I'd be careful who I bashed. Might just help Calhoun skate, might not be the time to be too righteous.

OldPhiKap
06-11-2010, 10:00 AM
Seems like college basketball is in for some rocky times.

Leagues are breaking up, next year the Big East will be little, UNC--garbage, Izzo, the pros, tons of top talent gone, the NCAA soon to be eclipsed by mega conferences making their own mega deals with ESPN. If I were the NCAA, I'd be careful who I bashed. Might just help Calhoun skate, might not be the time to be too righteous.

If the NCAA would slap USC football, they'll slap UConn basketball.

I agree that there are a few issues out there, but the fact that tany particular conferences or any particular teams may be down should not play into it much. There were a lot of big names sitting home this March, and the NCAA was treated to one of the most watched tournaments and championship games in years.

Also, I assume that the NCAA benefits financially from these conference realignments and tv contracts or they wouldn't happen in the first place.

It's the perfect time to clean up Calhoun, Calipari, etc.

BD80
06-11-2010, 10:33 AM
... I assume that the NCAA benefits financially from these conference realignments and tv contracts or they wouldn't happen in the first place. ...

Quite the opposite, this is leading to the top 50 or so schools forming uber conferences and stepping AWAY from the NCAA. At least for football.

The top schools want to keep ALL of the money their football programs generate, rather than than just take what the BCS will offer. Without the shared revenue from the top 50 programs and with the cost of Title IX, few if any of the remaining schools would be able to afford to keep football.

On the plus side, soccer should become much more popular as the football scholarships dry up. Soccer being perhaps the least expensive competitive sport to finance.

OldPhiKap
06-11-2010, 04:56 PM
Quite the opposite, this is leading to the top 50 or so schools forming uber conferences and stepping AWAY from the NCAA. At least for football.

The top schools want to keep ALL of the money their football programs generate, rather than than just take what the BCS will offer. Without the shared revenue from the top 50 programs and with the cost of Title IX, few if any of the remaining schools would be able to afford to keep football.

On the plus side, soccer should become much more popular as the football scholarships dry up. Soccer being perhaps the least expensive competitive sport to finance.

Shows what happens when I assume. Thanks.

BD80
08-13-2010, 02:51 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/news?slug=ap-uconn-ncaa

The NCAA is giving Connecticut more time to respond to allegations that the school’s basketball program committed eight major rules violations. ... The school says the extension was based on requests by the coaches cited

Well that just can't be good.

Former assistants Beau Archibald and Patrick Sellers resigned amid accusations that they lied to investigators, who found hundreds of improper calls and texts from UConn staff to recruits.

This could get VERRRRYY interesting. (Cue Artie Johnson voice)

Coach Jim Calhoun also is cited in the NCAA report for failing to promote an atmosphere of compliance

Duh!