PDA

View Full Version : Glad this didn't happen to us

Kedsy
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Here's a link to the championship game of the former Yugoslavian Republics' professional league: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/post/Video-Miracle-buzzer-beater-lifts-Croatian-team?urn=top,237060

The video starts with 8 seconds left, when former Mississippi State player Lawrence Roberts misses his second free throw with his team up 1. The other team pushes it up the floor and hits a three-pointer with 0.6 seconds left, and is jumping up and down and hugging each other when Roberts's team quickly inbounds the ball and hits a two-thirds-of-the-court bank shot at the buzzer to win it. The play was so unexpected that the TV camera didn't even show the winning shot (it was showing the other team's celebration), so you don't even see it until they show a replay.

Glad something like this didn't happen to us.

Jarhead
04-28-2010, 10:45 AM
I think I saw Zoubek in that postgame celebration.

jdj4duke
04-28-2010, 10:53 AM
Duke always gets back on defense, no matter what the situation. The winning shot would never have gotten off-

Kedsy
04-28-2010, 11:13 AM
Duke always gets back on defense, no matter what the situation. The winning shot would never have gotten off-

Well, that's true, except (thanks to a massive takeout of Singler), Butler did get their last shot off. I wasn't suggesting Duke would have been celebrating while the winning shot went in; it just seemed like the flip side of Hayward's shot in some weird alternate universe.

Actually, I'm not even sure under NCAA rules the Croatian shot would have counted; are you allowed to catch, turn, and shoot with only 0.6 seconds on the clock? Either way, those teams weren't in the NCAA, and it was a heckuva finish.

SupaDave
04-28-2010, 11:23 AM

Let's hope the Plumlees remember this next year. :)

BD80
04-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Well, that's true, except (thanks to a massive takeout of Singler), Butler did get their last shot off. ...

Sorry to go off topic a skosh, but I understand that the last seconds of Duke v Butler is being shown to all NFL refs as an example of an illegal block per the "Hines Ward" rule.

jdj4duke
04-28-2010, 11:29 AM
I wasn't suggesting Duke would have been celebrating while the winning shot went in

It was more that- Duke would not have been celebrating beforehand. They always play to the end.

uh_no
04-28-2010, 12:05 PM
Well, that's true, except (thanks to a massive takeout of Singler), Butler did get their last shot off. I wasn't suggesting Duke would have been celebrating while the winning shot went in; it just seemed like the flip side of Hayward's shot in some weird alternate universe.

Actually, I'm not even sure under NCAA rules the Croatian shot would have counted; are you allowed to catch, turn, and shoot with only 0.6 seconds on the clock? Either way, those teams weren't in the NCAA, and it was a heckuva finish.

its .3 seconds.......

hurleyfor3
04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
The video starts with 8 seconds left, when former Mississippi State player Lawrence Roberts misses his second free throw with his team up 1. The other team pushes it up the floor and hits a three-pointer with 0.6 seconds left, and is jumping up and down and hugging each other when Roberts's team quickly inbounds the ball and hits a two-thirds-of-the-court bank shot at the buzzer to win it. The play was so unexpected that the TV camera didn't even show the winning shot (it was showing the other team's celebration), so you don't even see it until they show a replay.

Glad something like this didn't happen to us.

Wait... the way I interpret it, if this had been our game, Z would have missed his second free throw, Hayward's shot would have gone in and then there would have somehow been enough time left for us to inbound one more time and make a miracle shot. Which we've done before.

miramar
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
That's an amazing video.

As far as I can tell, only one of the Cibona players was even in the backcourt when the Partizan player took the shot, and he wasn't even close to the shooter, so he must have started in the frontcourt and ran over when he saw what was happening.

That was a great shot no matter what, but how do you say "It's not over until it's over" in Serb?

BD80
04-28-2010, 12:35 PM
... how do you say "It's not over until it's over" in Serb?

"hillt olaettner"

yancem
04-28-2010, 12:52 PM
There is also the possibility that a technical could have been called on the team rushing the court before the game had ended. At the very least if the shot had missed the team could have gotten a second chance at it because there were certainly more than 5 players on the court.

On a side note, I never understand why teams go for the 3 in that situation. You're only down 1, why take a longer shot than you have too?

CDu
04-28-2010, 12:58 PM
On a side note, I never understand why teams go for the 3 in that situation. You're only down 1, why take a longer shot than you have too?

My only guess is that maybe teams feel it's easier to get a good look at a 3pt shot than it is to get a good look closer to the basket. Other than that though, I completely agree.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-28-2010, 01:00 PM
how do you say "It's not over until it's over" in Serb?

"hillt olaettner"
Very clever!:cool::cool::D:D

Stray Gator
04-28-2010, 01:04 PM
What I found most interesting about this was the fact that there's a framed glass canopy sheltering the visiting team's bench from the crowd--perhaps due to the fact that this was a match between Serbs and Croats. I know it's not quite the same, but I wonder whether such a structure could be installed for our games at Maryland... :D

CDu
04-28-2010, 01:18 PM
What I found most interesting about this was the fact that there's a framed glass canopy sheltering the visiting team's bench from the crowd--perhaps due to the fact that this was a match between Serbs and Croats. I know it's not quite the same, but I wonder whether such a structure could be installed for our games at Maryland... :D

I think that may be pretty standard in Europe, where fans have a reputation for their willingness to throw "stuff." The fact that it was a Serb/Croat matchup probably made it an even better idea.

UrinalCake
04-28-2010, 01:26 PM
The play was so unexpected that the TV camera didn't even show the winning shot (it was showing the other team's celebration), so you don't even see it until they show a replay.

Coverage still better than CBS. And the announcers made about as much sense to me as Dick Vitale.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Yeah good thing huh? haha oh well, National Champs baby!!!