PDA

View Full Version : Add Glee to Duke haters club

bluepenguin
04-27-2010, 10:03 PM
On tonight's episode two guys sit down to watch the game. We see Duke on the TV. One guy says "i hate duke like I hate the nazi's"

I guess that makes up for "In the Middle" which predicted a Duke championship, before the final four.

NYDukie
04-27-2010, 10:10 PM
I know, my wife was watching it and we both caught it. The Nazi reference is a bit much but you just take it with a grain of salt. Look at this way, how many college teams get mentioned on prime time shows??? Not too many for what it's worth!

proelitedota
04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
I found the line to be in really poor taste. It implies that the actions of the Nazis were not anymore hateful than the actions of the Duke basketball team, or that the character view them as comparative. Anyways, he is indirectly making light of the Holocaust.

Jewish rights centers should get in on this. It is a really, really bad line imo.

FireOgilvie
04-27-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm guessing 90% of the people that watch Glee don't really follow or care about college basketball... let alone hate Duke. I don't get it.

Glee is miserable, BTW.

gumbomoop
04-27-2010, 10:30 PM
I found the line to be in really poor taste. It implies that the actions of the Nazis were not anymore hateful than the actions of the Duke basketball team, or that the character view them as comparative. Anyways, he is indirectly making light of the Holocaust.

Jewish rights centers should get in on this. It is a really, really bad line imo.

Yes, this one's a bigger problem than the usual hatred, which regularly crosses lines, but usually not this one.

More than once in my life I have urged people not to analogize much of anything or anyone to Hitler and Nazis.

That the scriptwriters thought this was humorous in an "edgy" way speaks volumes about their amoral vacuity, or about their assumptions about the absence of moral sensibility in their viewers.

It will be interesting to see whether this story "has legs." It's a great country, but not in every particular.

Bluedog
04-27-2010, 10:40 PM
We see Duke on the TV.

Actually, it wasn't Duke on TV. Looked like generic ambiguous schools to me. But not important, and he definitely says "I hate Duke like I hate Nazis" and then says "They recruit these kids..." and then it trails off. If you're going to complain about something regarding Duke, recruiting bad kids (or something of that nature) would be the last thing!

In any event, Duke has been seen or mentioned in quite a few shows. Some off the top of my head, which I probably should be embarassed to state as they're all popular among the teenage girl demographic...

1.) Gilmore Girls - guy at bar says Duke will destroy next season with JJ and Shel
2.) Scrubs - Duke football is shown on TV when JD and Dr. Cox hang out on the couch just after JD's dad died
3.) Dawson's Creek filmed at Duke
4.) Sex and the City - Charlotte's brother wears a Duke shirt
5.) Glee

Ok, that's all I got, but there's probably more...

Edit: Here's an article courtesy of The Chronicle:
http://dukechronicle.com/node/147925

5.) Privileged - Chronicles two high school twins quest to earn admission to Duke

Filmed on Duke Campus:

Notable projects include "Brainstorm," "The Handmaid's Tale," "The Program" and, most recently, "Dawson's Creek."

Apparently, didn't allow Animal House to film on campus...booo! Bad decision. And Kiss the Girls was rejected too. And yeah, a Duke shirt was worn for a long time by a lead character in the movie Mamma Mia.

fgb
04-27-2010, 10:44 PM
in "fletch", chevy chase is on the phone with his bookie in an early scene, and one of the bets he places is on the duke-carolina game. i'm sorry to say i've forgotten who he picks, though...

RelativeWays
04-27-2010, 10:49 PM
in "fletch", chevy chase is on the phone with his bookie in an early scene, and one of the bets he places is on the duke-carolina game. i'm sorry to say i've forgotten who he picks, though...

Can't forget the infamous bet between Bill Cosby and a member of DUMB which made Cos wear a Duke shirt on the Cosby show.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone takes issue with the "Nazis" comment since Duke's MVP this season is a Jew. I suppose the irony is lost on those clever writers of Glee.

kingboozer
04-27-2010, 10:52 PM
bring the hatred on. everyone hates the thing thats better than them:cool:

Mike Corey
04-27-2010, 10:54 PM
Glee national championships: 0
Duke national championships: 4

Duvall
04-27-2010, 10:56 PM
Glee national championships: 0
Duke national championships: 4

Forget Maryland - until Carolina gets its life together, Glee is our new rival.

hedevil
04-27-2010, 10:58 PM
Matthew "however you spell his name" McConahey wears a Duke shirt in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

My wife made me watch it with her years ago. I was like, hey this Matthew guy is alright.

Duvall
04-27-2010, 11:06 PM
Matthew "however you spell his name" McConahey wears a [...] shirt

I'm not sure I find your story credible.

JaMarcus Russell
04-27-2010, 11:08 PM
How did the producers of that movie convince him to wear a shirt? :D

ETA: Beat me to it, Duvall.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-27-2010, 11:17 PM
Matthew "however you spell his name" McConahey wears a Duke shirt in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days.

My wife made me watch it with her years ago. I was like, hey this Matthew guy is alright.

I've seen the movie. This report is correct. Matthew is a Texas Ex, so don't read anything into his wearing the Duke shirt. :eek:

dukee94
04-27-2010, 11:24 PM
I've seen the movie. This report is correct. Matthew is a Texas Ex, so don't read anything into his wearing the Duke shirt. :eek:

We did see him in Cameron at a Duke/Carolina game, 08 I believe. No idea why he was there.

hedevil
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm not sure if he's a Dukie or not, to be honest, I just remember seeing the shirt and thinking maybe he is (maybe not). I'm a texan and love Duke. Anything's possible, right?

The shirt thing is funny.hahaha

I don't think he normally takes roles where he has to wear one.:D

OZZIE4DUKE
04-27-2010, 11:30 PM
1.) Gilmore Girls - guy at bar says Duke will destroy next season with JJ and Shel
2.) Scrubs - Duke football is shown on TV when JD and Dr. Cox hang out on the couch just after JD's dad died
3.) Dawson's Creek filmed at Duke
4.) Sex and the City - Charlotte's brother wears a Duke shirt
5.) Glee

Ok, that's all I got, but there's probably more...

Remember JAG? Catherine Bell was supposed to be a Duke Law grad.

GP3NY
04-27-2010, 11:42 PM
I was watching Glee tonight... I went back and looked at the "game" the two characters were watching.

It said...
DBD (which I interpreted as Duke Blue Devils) - 77
NCTH (North Carolina Tar Heels) - 66

...with 2 minutes to play.

At least they got the fact that we are better than the Tar Heels right!!!! Glee can hate Duke if it's because we win and beat the tar holes!

Viking Guy
04-27-2010, 11:43 PM
Rob Lowe was a Duke Law grad on West Wing.

One of the doctors on FlashForward went to Duke.

Olympic Fan
04-27-2010, 11:44 PM
CSI had an episode a couple of years ago about a Las Vegas high school basketball player who was murdered. He was supposed to go to Duke on a basketball scholarship. If I remember right, they find out he was killed because he was a rapist (or maybe he was just a sleeze who cheated on his girlfriend ... I can't remember).

And Tom Clancy had a Secret Service agent in his Jack Ryan novel Executive Orders who was not only a Duke graduate, but a Duke basketball fanatic, who predicted -- correctly in the novel's world -- that Duke would lose to Oregon in the national championship game.

BTW, the character turns out to be an Iranian sleeper agent who tries to kill the President.

PS Although I hate to admit I know this, but the character in Mamma Mia wearing the Duke t-shirt was not a main character, but one of the bride's best friends.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-27-2010, 11:47 PM
the doctor in flashfoward went to duke

dukee94
04-27-2010, 11:57 PM
If we're just talking literary characters now, Harlan Coben (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_coben) has a character (Myron Bolitar), who is a former point guard on a national championship Duke b-ball team who has his pro career cut short by injuries: http://www.thrillingdetective.com/bolitar.html.

UrinalCake
04-28-2010, 12:06 AM
In the movie "Me, Myself and Irene" one of the characters is trying to get into an Ivy league school, and his brother says something like "you better study or you'll end up at Duke."

Also, the book "Kiss the Girls" actually takes place in Durham and around the Duke campus. The university decided not to allow them to film the movie on campus based on the subject matter.

SCMatt33
04-28-2010, 12:10 AM

There was a 2nd season episode "the midterms" in which Rob Lowe convinces a friend who went to Duke Law with him to run for congress, but he is forced out the race after it is revealed that he uses preemptive challenges to get white juries for black defendants, and belonged to an all-white fraternity at an unspecified undergraduate college (there is nothing sinister about Duke implied. Duke isn't even mentioned in the same part of the episode as the potential racism stuff).

CSI had an episode a couple of years ago about a Las Vegas high school basketball player who was murdered. He was supposed to go to Duke on a basketball scholarship. If I remember right, they find out he was killed because he was a rapist (or maybe he was just a sleeze who cheated on his girlfriend ... I can't remember).

I believe there was another CSI episode which centered around someone being murdered over a betting scandal. The game in question was Duke-Louiville. The exact line of the game fluctuated wildly and was a major part of the plot, but Duke was a big favorite the whole way and won by 22 points!

burnspbesq
04-28-2010, 12:10 AM
And let's not forget the famous pickup game scene from The West Wing where Bartlett recruits a former Duke player who works at the President's Council on Fitness to be on his team. The ringer was played by (of all people) Juwan Howard. I've always wondered how many takes were required before he could mumble "Duke" under his breath.

SCMatt33
04-28-2010, 12:14 AM
Forgot this one in the last post. There was a Simpsons episode last year in which Stephen Colbert guest starred as Homer's lifecoach. Homer calls him from an out of control plane and asks for Colbert to motivate him through the situation. At this point Colbert admits to being somewhat of a fraud claiming that he graduated from the "Harvard of the South." Homer replies "Duke? But that's good." Colbert says that it wasn't Duke. Homer asks if it was Vanderbilt and Colbert denies this saying it wasn't Vandy and that Homer shouldn't make him reveal the actual school.

SuperTurkey
04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
Forgot this one in the last post. There was a Simpsons episode last year in which Stephen Colbert guest starred as Homer's lifecoach. Homer calls him from an out of control plane and asks for Colbert to motivate him through the situation. At this point Colbert admits to being somewhat of a fraud claiming that he graduated from the "Harvard of the South." Homer replies "Duke? But that's good." Colbert says that it wasn't Duke. Homer asks if it was Vanderbilt and Colbert denies this saying it wasn't Vandy and that Homer shouldn't make him reveal the actual school.

Yep, great scene (http://www.entertonement.com/clips/zrcqrfhhsf--Harvard-of-the-SouthThe-Simpsons-Stephen-Colbert-Dan-Castellaneta-Homer-).

Starter
04-28-2010, 01:04 AM
I actually typically very much like Glee, though I haven't seen tonight's episode yet. It's from the creators of Nip/Tuck and virtually everything on the show is tongue-in-cheek. My guess here is they're more parodying people's irrational hatred of Duke, than Duke itself. The line in question also paraphrases another line that had everyone up in arms unnecessarily, when Kanye West rhymed in "Flashing Lights" that he hates the paparazzi more than the Nazis. I think NYDukie had the right idea about it. Everyone else, you know, probably can chill out a bit. (I'm Jewish, by the way)

I'll add probably the two greatest representations of Duke on film to the list up there -- The Program, whose ESU Timberwolves with Darnell Jefferson and Joe Kane "is able" actually played at Duke. And of course, the horror classic "I Know What You Did Last Summer," which saw Jennifer Love Hewitt's character actually attend Duke.

ElSid
04-28-2010, 01:36 AM
I actually typically very much like Glee, though I haven't seen tonight's episode yet. It's from the creators of Nip/Tuck and virtually everything on the show is tongue-in-cheek. My guess here is they're more parodying people's irrational hatred of Duke, than Duke itself. The line in question also paraphrases another line that had everyone up in arms unnecessarily, when Kanye West rhymed in "Flashing Lights" that he hates the paparazzi more than the Nazis. I think NYDukie had the right idea about it. Everyone else, you know, probably can chill out a bit. (I'm Jewish, by the way)

i'm sure this is right. it's so over the top, like the whole show. and the kanye parallel is interesting.

wincing, thinking about the number of overzealous duke fan letters into glee demanding on air apology. if that happens, "they were right about us".

gumbomoop
04-28-2010, 01:42 AM

OK, I'll take your advice and temporarily chill out.

If in fact the point of the line is to show how irrational is the Duke-hate [i.e., "Can you believe there are idiots out there who actually hate Duke more than Nazis?"], then the tongue in this cheek is about as edgy as it gets.

But even if this is brilliant parody, I'll stick with my advice that it's almost always dangerous to compare anything or anyone with Nazism/Nazis/Hitler.

ElSid
04-28-2010, 01:46 AM
But even if this is brilliant parody, I'll stick with my advice that it's almost always dangerous to compare anything or anyone with Nazism/Nazis/Hitler.

i agree to this.

though, you gotta admit the producers is pretty funny.

Kewlswim
04-28-2010, 02:01 AM
Hi,

There was a show called "St. Elsewhere." It was one of those hospital shows. One of the doctors, played by Mark Harmon if I remember correctly, went to Duke med school and also contracts AIDS (from a blood transfusion?). Pretty good show the few times I watched it.

GO DUKE!

Devilsfan
04-28-2010, 02:03 AM
Anybody who thinks success from hard work should be shared with everybody including slackers and recipients of free money would hate Duke and probably only care about photo opts and public perception by the masses.

Grey Devil
04-28-2010, 02:40 AM
In "The Secret Life of Bees," which takes place in central South Carolina in the early 60s, the white attorney who befriends a young black man interested in being a lawyer by giving him a law book was a graduate of Duke Law School. Having driven through South Carolina many times going back and forth from my home in Florida to Duke in the late 60s, I can really appreciate what a brave move that would have been then and there! With my longish hair, a VW bug with a peace symbol decal in the back window and a "End the War Now" sticker on my bumper, I always made sure that I had enough gas in the tank to get from Durham through South Carolina without stopping. I wouldn't stop for anything, except red lights and stop signs(!!) until I got to Savannah. Fortunately things are better there now.

This is a particularly good representation of Duke as the camera lingers over his Duke law school diploma hanging on the wall of his office and the character, although a minor role in the story, is clearly on the right side.

Grey Devil

devildownunder
04-28-2010, 04:04 AM
Hi,

There was a show called "St. Elsewhere." It was one of those hospital shows. One of the doctors, played by Mark Harmon if I remember correctly, went to Duke med school and also contracts AIDS (from a blood transfusion?). Pretty good show the few times I watched it.

GO DUKE!

In 1988, when Bill Cosby's alma mater, Temple, was ranked No.1, he made a promise that if anyone knocked off the Owls, he would wear a sweater with that school's name on it, on the air. Well, we know what happened to the Owls that year -- and the Cos' made good on his promise, too. Although, IIRC, it looked like the sweater was faded or something. the "DUKE" letters were somewhat faint. Not really hard to see but not as bold as you would normally expect them to be, either.

grossbus
04-28-2010, 04:38 AM
"(Myron Bolitar), who is a former point guard on a national championship Duke b-ball team"

i believe myron was a forward. a contemporary, who played at unc, arranged the injury (knee) while myron was playing for the celtics. that injury essentially ended his career.

amat1129
04-28-2010, 05:42 AM
i'm pretty sure will smith wears a duke shirt in a couple episodes of fresh prince, if my childhood memory serves me right

sagegrouse
04-28-2010, 06:21 AM
In "The Secret Life of Bees," which takes place in central South Carolina in the early 60s, the white attorney who befriends a young black man interested in being a lawyer by giving him a law book was a graduate of Duke Law School....

This is a particularly good representation of Duke as the camera lingers over his Duke law school diploma hanging on the wall of his office and the character, although a minor role in the story, is clearly on the right side.

Grey Devil

And then there is the villain in Skinny Dip, a caper novel by Carl Hiaasen, in which the evildoer throws his wife off a cruise ship in the Gulfstream at the beginning of the book. He is a Duke PhD in biology, who was sent there by his sponsors, equally evil developers, and infiltrates the Florida Department of Environmental Protection to falsify every piece of data he can get his hands on. Anyway, the wife survives and plots to do in her husband.

Not exactly a flattering portrait of Duke....

sagegrouse

Bob Green
04-28-2010, 06:39 AM
And then there is the villain in Skinny Dip, a caper novel by Carl Hiaasen....Not exactly a flattering portrait of Duke....

sagegrouse

However, a great read! I really like Carl Hiassen and Skinny Dip is one of his better works.

Lord Ash
04-28-2010, 07:09 AM
It is important to note; there are a number of writers in Hollywood from both Duke and Carolina... I've known a few stories where they have been in the same room. And yes, the hatred usually bubbles up. I'd be curious to know if one of the Glee writers was a UNC grad.

I remember when they screened "The Program" on campus... that was an AWESOME time.

Another show; Clocktower quad was used as a shot on "Fringe" within the last year... I think as a stand in for Harvard maybe.

cspan37421
04-28-2010, 07:35 AM
In 1988, when Bill Cosby's alma mater, Temple, was ranked No.1, he made a promise that if anyone knocked off the Owls, he would wear a sweater with that school's name on it, on the air. Well, we know what happened to the Owls that year -- and the Cos' made good on his promise, too. Although, IIRC, it looked like the sweater was faded or something. the "DUKE" letters were somewhat faint. Not really hard to see but not as bold as you would normally expect them to be, either.

There's a picture in my yearbook from that year showing Cosby wearing the Duke shirt - I think it was a sweatshirt. The picture is poor quality - an indoor shot with a film camera (ISO 100 probably!) of a pre-cable TV broadcast that wasn't coming in all that well through the gothic stone. Yet the contrast of the letters D-U-K-E with the background of the shirt was pretty clear. I don't recall them being faint. Just the picture of the TV image was blurry.

davekay1971
04-28-2010, 07:43 AM
On tonight's episode two guys sit down to watch the game. We see Duke on the TV. One guy says "i hate duke like I hate the nazi's"

I guess that makes up for "In the Middle" which predicted a Duke championship, before the final four.

It was actually a very realistic scene. See, Glee is set in a suburb of Charlotte, NC, and the character is going to be going to UNC next year because he didn't get in to Duke. :cool:

jdj4duke
04-28-2010, 07:46 AM
In the late 80's there was a show called "Frank's Place" set in New Orleans. One of the repeating characters was a slightly dipsomaniac lawyer who on more than one occasion referenced his Duke degree. As I recall, his boozing was more a badge of world-weariness from not quite fitting in.

GODUKEGO
04-28-2010, 07:55 AM
The Glee reference better explains the Heels loss at Cameron. I thought it was just a good old whopping but now I know it was really a blitzkreig. The definition describes the 82-50 win exactly: concentrating overwhelming force and rapid speed to break through enemy lines, and once the latter is broken, proceeding without regard to its flank.

BigDuke6
04-28-2010, 08:16 AM
Ghostbusters,

Quote:

"You might want to check those Duke University mean averaging studies on controlled psychokinesis."

From Ray Stantz I believe. I'm sure this references the contraversial and former Duke School of Parapsychology.

dukefanSD
04-28-2010, 08:17 AM
In the book "The Emperor of Ocean Park" by Stephen L. Carter, the main character's wife cheats on him with a former Duke basketball player.

Indoor66
04-28-2010, 08:19 AM
Remember JAG? Catherine Bell was supposed to be a Duke Law grad.

Catherine Bell can be anything she wants to be!

Indoor66
04-28-2010, 08:21 AM
In the movie "Me, Myself and Irene" one of the characters is trying to get into an Ivy league school, and his brother says something like "you better study or you'll end up at Duke."

Also, the book "Kiss the Girls" actually takes place in Durham and around the Duke campus. The university decided not to allow them to film the movie on campus based on the subject matter.

Yeah, Campus shots were done over at the Dump on the Hump.

stillcrazie
04-28-2010, 08:32 AM
My guess here is they're more parodying people's irrational hatred of Duke, than Duke itself. The line in question also paraphrases another line that had everyone up in arms unnecessarily, when Kanye West rhymed in "Flashing Lights" that he hates the paparazzi more than the Nazis. I think NYDukie had the right idea about it. Everyone else, you know, probably can chill out a bit. (I'm Jewish, by the way).

I don't think it was a parody. The guy who says the line is someone we're supposed to like. This was the first episode I've seen, and the whole show really plays on your emotions. I think the writers threw in that line to make the character even more sympathetic.

P.S. I think the John Krasinski character in "It's Complicated" wore a Duke shirt.

1 24 90
04-28-2010, 08:39 AM
American Idol judge Kara Dioguardi went to Duke but failed to mention this year's championship after Duke won. Last season, contestant Anoop Desai was a tar hole so of course he mentioned their title after they won.

bluebear
04-28-2010, 08:40 AM
I don't think it was a parody. The guy who says the line is someone we're supposed to like. This was the first episode I've seen, and the whole show really plays on your emotions. I think the writers threw in that line to make the character even more sympathetic.

P.S. I think the John Krasinski character in "It's Complicated" wore a Duke shirt.

The show is full of off color and over the top lines..I don't think they were necessarily parodying the irrational hatred of Duke but it was intentionally hyperbolic..Who cares..embrace the "hate", it's only sign of Duke's success...

KyDevilinIL
04-28-2010, 08:55 AM
There is a scene in one of the first few seasons of "The Wire" in which a few members of, I believe, the Barksdale crew are having a meeting and one of them is wearing a Duke jersey. (My details are sketchy, but I know the jersey is in the show at some point.)

Kriss Kross wore Duke and UNC gear in the video for "Jump."

stillcrazie
04-28-2010, 08:56 AM
The show is full of off color and over the top lines..I don't think they were necessarily parodying the irrational hatred of Duke but it was intentionally hyperbolic..Who cares..embrace the "hate", it's only sign of Duke's success...

I didn't think it was hyperbolic at all, at least not compared to what you hear from the average UNC fan. I applaud the show for the message it sends to high school students and wonder if having a show like that might have made it easier for me in high school. On the other hand, everything about the show seemed designed to manipulate your emotions and I am not sure if I will watch it again.

JBDuke
04-28-2010, 09:10 AM

There's a picture in my yearbook from that year showing Cosby wearing the Duke shirt - I think it was a sweatshirt. The picture is poor quality - an indoor shot with a film camera (ISO 100 probably!) of a pre-cable TV broadcast that wasn't coming in all that well through the gothic stone. Yet the contrast of the letters D-U-K-E with the background of the shirt was pretty clear. I don't recall them being faint. Just the picture of the TV image was blurry.

As referenced earlier in this thread, Cosby's "promise" was a bet with a DUMB member while at the regionals in the '88 Tourney. After Duke beat Temple in the regional final, with one of the greatest defensive performances I've ever seen by Billy King on Mark Macon, Coz paid off on the bet at the end of, I think, the first episode of the following season of "The Cosby Show". Cosby came into his bedroom wearing a Duke sweatshirt, with "DUKE" boldly printed across the chest, and, IIRC, wearing a Duke hat that he takes off as he enters the room. The sweatpants might have been Duke ones, too.

I was on campus at the time, and I remember the Duke Stores folks making a big deal of sending Dr. Cosby a care package full of Duke clothing...

grad_devil
04-28-2010, 09:23 AM
"(Myron Bolitar), who is a former point guard on a national championship Duke b-ball team"

i believe myron was a forward. a contemporary, who played at unc, arranged the injury (knee) while myron was playing for the celtics. that injury essentially ended his career.

Definitely was a point guard, and you're right about the thug who arranged the hard foul that caused the injury.

Someone on DBR several years ago mentioned Coben's Myron Bolitar series and I've read every one. Quite entertaining, with witty self-deprecating humor. I highly recommend them.

--grad_devil

PumpkinFunk
04-28-2010, 09:24 AM
There is a scene in one of the first few seasons of "The Wire" in which a few members of, I believe, the Barksdale crew are having a meeting and one of them is wearing a Duke jersey. (My details are sketchy, but I know the jersey is in the show at some point.)

Yep. I've seen the scene, and it's definitely a Duke jersey.

weezie
04-28-2010, 09:35 AM
Bozo the Clown went to unc.

hurleyfor3
04-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Tom Wolfe wrote a book about us once. Well, he didn't, but he did.

rthomas
04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
You guys take everything so seriously, all the Duke hate this and that, yet you watch Glee.:p

wow, I got it.

dukefanSD
04-28-2010, 09:40 AM
He's wearing #21. I read an interview with DeMarcus were he said his favorite show was The Wire. I was watching the dvd one day and saw that episode and thought, wow, how cool for him. Although I think Chris Duhon was wearing that number when the show was filmed. But it would still be cool to have a guy in your favorite show wearing your jersey.

DevilInGA
04-28-2010, 09:54 AM
Stingo in "Sophie's Choice" is a Duke graduate (as was William Styron). My favorite line of Stingo's from the novel is:' "Don't call me a Cracker!" I cried, recovering my voice. "I'm a Phi Beta Kappa from Duke University..." '

should_be_working
04-28-2010, 10:05 AM

This. The show if full of dark humor and can have some funny moments. My husband was watching (for which he'll kill me for admitting) and he called me in at the end and said "you gotta watch this". I thought it was funny, and something that has probably been said before - just not on TV.

Bring on the hate, it just means that we're doing pretty well.

As for Duke references in TV/movies, the CW show, One Tree Hill, takes place in NC, and one of the characters (a star basketball player) is all set to play for the Blue Devils. He gets several calls from coach K, and if it wasn't for a point shaving incident (which makes Duke retract his scholarship offer) he would have been a Dukie. Not that i watch teenage drama shows though...

jdj4duke
04-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Ken Jeong, the redoubtable Mr. Chow, was on Leno last week, and was asked how he got into comedy and all that. He replied that he got his start as an undergrad at Duke and proceeded to shout out "National Champs! Number 1 baby!" to some nice applause. On the other hand, no mention at all that he graduated from UNC med school.

He also got to dance with Heidi Klum, who was not wearing any Duke apparel. Yet.

Lar77
04-28-2010, 10:13 AM
Bozo the Clown went to unc.

No, Bozo played for Maryland (Gotta admit, I can't remember the guy's name):D

alteran
04-28-2010, 10:31 AM
If we're just talking literary characters now, Harlan Coben (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harlan_coben) has a character (Myron Bolitar), who is a former point guard on a national championship Duke b-ball team who has his pro career cut short by injuries: http://www.thrillingdetective.com/bolitar.html.

Fun books. Good mix of serious and humor.

Kdogg
04-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Mark Green's daughter from ER went to Duke undergrad and med school where her step mother Elizabeth Corday taught/worked. Also Neela Rasgotra was applying for a job at Duke Med.

In Kevin Williamson new show The Vampire Diaries, Duke has been mentioned a couple times. That guy's shows are a big protomer.

scottdude8
04-28-2010, 11:15 AM

One of the doctors on FlashForward went to Duke.

I was about to give up on FlashForward until I saw a scene where the doctor mentioned Duke... I thought, "I can give this show another chance!":)

Indoor66
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
No, Bozo played for Maryland (Gotta admit, I can't remember the guy's name):D

Jim O'Brien was Bozo the Clown - MD, '73 I think.

cato
04-28-2010, 11:29 AM
the horror classic "I Know What You Did Last Summer," which saw Jennifer Love Hewitt's character actually attend Duke.

Two of my buddies and I are in one of the opening shots in that movie. We walked by a camera crew on campus one day, and asked what they were shooting. They said they needed shots of campus for the movie, and asked if we wanted to be in one.

Indoor66
04-28-2010, 11:31 AM
Two of my buddies and I are in one of the opening shots in that movie. We walked by a camera crew on campus one day, and asked what they were shooting. They said they needed shots of campus for the movie, and asked if we wanted to be in one.

Couldn't you talk them into letting you into a shot with Jennifer?

CLT Devil
04-28-2010, 11:58 AM

Kriss Kross wore Duke and UNC gear in the video for "Jump."

I remeber this, it was a black 21 Jersey and he didn't have a speaking part or anything, was just there as muscle. I remember telling my wife "hey check it out this bad guy trying to look tough on 'The Wire' has a Duhon jersey on..." but she did't really care. Now if he had a #14 I'd be shaking in my boots too.

That's funny that someone else out there noticed it too!

huied
04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Hate to mention this, but I think in "What A Girl Wants", one of the girls is talking to Amanda Bynes about her future and she mentions that she's going to Duke for pre-Law. Doesn't necessarily paint a pretty portrait of Duke, since that character was made to be uber snobby.

Also, is there really something called pre-Law at Duke?

HowBoutDemDevils
Matthew McConaughey wears a duke shirt in How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

left_hook_lacey
We did see him in Cameron at a Duke/Carolina game, 08 I believe. No idea why he was there.

Because It's the greatest show on earth! ;)

BD80
04-28-2010, 12:26 PM
In the late 80's there was a show called "Frank's Place" set in New Orleans. One of the repeating characters was a slightly dipsomaniac lawyer who on more than one occasion referenced his Duke degree. As I recall, his boozing was more a badge of world-weariness from not quite fitting in.

What is the statute of limitations on identity theft? I'm outraged!

Two and a Half Men had an episode where Charlie had Jake choosing basketball games to bet to keep him busy on a rainy day. Alan walks in as Jake announces he is choosing Wake over Duke ...

Reilly
04-28-2010, 12:28 PM
Recall the Duke jersey in The Wire. A byproduct of the long Maryland/Baltimore City rift, where city players would not go to MD? Sought to healed by the hiring of Bob Wade, and now MD has had a few.

Duke is apparently offering a class on The Wire:
http://www.thesunnews.com/2010/04/11/1415161/the-wire-goes-to-school.html

Duke1988
04-28-2010, 12:29 PM
i seem to remember a nick nolte movie that was filmed at duke back in the mid-80s during my days as a student. does anyone remember that? or am i remembering wrong?

jdj4duke
04-28-2010, 12:31 PM
What is the statute of limitations on identity theft? I'm outraged!

Two and a Half Men had an episode where Charlie had Jake choosing basketball games to bet to keep him busy on a rainy day. Alan walks in as Jake announces he is choosing Wake over Duke ...

Yeah saw that one recently, too; Charlie questions the wisdom of the pick and Wake loses. We win again, even in TV Land. I thought it was interesting that Wake was used as the competitor. Must be a Deacon somewhere in the writing pool.

Reilly
04-28-2010, 12:44 PM
Nolte movie was "Weeds." Didn't know Dilweg was in it:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067894/index.htm

gumbomoop
04-28-2010, 01:24 PM

I thought about this issue a good bit late last evening. I didn't see the show last night, watched it once or twice early on, but not since, so have no clue as to which characters are more appealing than others.

Still, having agreed to temporarily take the advice to chill out over the Nazi reference, I did wonder who said it, and what the viewers' feel for that character had been coming into the episode.

So, I ask, as neutrally as possible: (1) Is stillcrazie correct that "The guy who says the line is someone we're supposed to like"? (2) If yes, is this - that the character hates Duke as much as he hates Nazis -or is it not worth being troubled about?

PADukeMom
04-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I saw/heard that too. They were showing a Carolina game too but I was so mad that I didn't notice if that was one of this year's games with us or not.

The nazi comment was so uncalled for so I am now a former Glee fan.

stillcrazie
04-28-2010, 01:50 PM
I thought about this issue a good bit late last evening. I didn't see the show last night, watched it once or twice early on, but not since, so have no clue as to which characters are more appealing than others.

Still, having agreed to temporarily take the advice to chill out over the Nazi reference, I did wonder who said it, and what the viewers' feel for that character had been coming into the episode.

So, I ask, as neutrally as possible: (1) Is stillcrazie correct that "The guy who says the line is someone we're supposed to like"? (2) If yes, is this - that the character hates Duke as much as he hates Nazis -or is it not worth being troubled about?

Hopefully you will get more responses to your questions besides mine. 1). I don't know the characters' names, but the guy who says the line is dating the mom of one of the students. The student's father died when he was a baby and his mom has never dated anyone since. They keep the father's urn in the house and have never moved on from his death. The kid is resentful of the guy dating his mom, who is also the father of another student who happens to be gay. At the end of the episode, the guy dating the mom makes an impassioned speech to the son about how he will never hurt his mother and really loves her. Then, as a gesture of reconciliation, they sit down together to watch the game. The son moves his father's ashes (egads!) so the guy can sit in his father's recliner. It is during this cumbaya moment that the guy proclaims his hate for Duke! As far as (2) goes, I suppose it is a matter of personal taste.

shoutingncu
04-28-2010, 03:11 PM
Hopefully you will get more responses to your questions besides mine. 1). I don't know the characters' names, but the guy who says the line is dating the mom of one of the students. The student's father died when he was a baby and his mom has never dated anyone since. They keep the father's urn in the house and have never moved on from his death. The kid is resentful of the guy dating his mom, who is also the father of another student who happens to be gay. At the end of the episode, the guy dating the mom makes an impassioned speech to the son about how he will never hurt his mother and really loves her. Then, as a gesture of reconciliation, they sit down together to watch the game. The son moves his father's ashes (egads!) so the guy can sit in his father's recliner. It is during this cumbaya moment that the guy proclaims his hate for Duke! As far as (2) goes, I suppose it is a matter of personal taste.

While I'm not a Gleek, I guess the fact that I know that phrase actually makes me one.

The father in question has been in one or two other episodes, most notably the one where his son comes out. He's portrayed as an old fashioned man... works as a mechanic, drinks beer, watches football. Will he approve of his son's orientation? Spoiler Alert: He does. "I've known since you were five" or some such heartwarming moment. The show is nothing if not melodramatic.

I think the line from last night's episode was another way to use a stereotype. As Crazie pointed out, it's during a "bonding" moment between the father and the son of the woman he's now dating, who has been resentful of the new man in his mom's life. How can the father show he's an approachable guy? Hate on Duke.

Personally, I think the line should have started and ended there, as in, "I hate Duke." And for a show as trendy as Glee is, they certainly could have followed it with "I hate Duke... they win all the time" (or some other reference to recent events) rather than the Nazi line, but a simple "I hate Duke" would have gotten the point across.

Incidentally, great catch GP3NY. I slowed down the show to see if the light blue team was Carolina, and when I saw that it wasn't, I didn't even pay attention to the actual letters... NCTH and DBD. Oh, those clever Hollywood folk.

grossbus
04-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Definitely was a point guard, and you're right about the thug who arranged the hard foul that caused the injury.

Someone on DBR several years ago mentioned Coben's Myron Bolitar series and I've read every one. Quite entertaining, with witty self-deprecating humor. I highly recommend them.

--grad_devil

Nope, a forward. His unc antagonist was a PG.

Yep, in Deal Breaker, the first book, it says somewhere early on that he's a forward.

got it: page 44:

"Myron was short for a forward, a program six-six (really only six-four), but he was a physical brute, a bull, and a hell of a leaper for a white man. He was highly recruited, chose Duke, and won two NCAA titles in four years."

Starter
04-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Yeah, shoutingncu is on the money. Kurt's dad is kind of a lummox, but a relatively lovable dude who accepted Kurt's homosexuality when it looked unlikely he'd do that. I'd say the line fits with his character as a "red blooded American."

I still think ya'll are reading too far into it. (And I have no problem admitting it really is a good show! Netflix the first season on DVD and give it a shot. I won't tell anyone.)

Props to the guy who appeared in "I Know What You Did Last Summer!" I'm going to take a closer look next time I see that.

cf-62
04-28-2010, 05:02 PM
While I'm not a Gleek, I guess the fact that I know that phrase actually makes me one.

The father in question has been in one or two other episodes, most notably the one where his son comes out. He's portrayed as an old fashioned man... works as a mechanic, drinks beer, watches football. Will he approve of his son's orientation? Spoiler Alert: He does. "I've known since you were five" or some such heartwarming moment. The show is nothing if not melodramatic.

I think the line from last night's episode was another way to use a stereotype. As Crazie pointed out, it's during a "bonding" moment between the father and the son of the woman he's now dating, who has been resentful of the new man in his mom's life. How can the father show he's an approachable guy? Hate on Duke.

Personally, I think the line should have started and ended there, as in, "I hate Duke." And for a show as trendy as Glee is, they certainly could have followed it with "I hate Duke... they win all the time" (or some other reference to recent events) rather than the Nazi line, but a simple "I hate Duke" would have gotten the point across.

Incidentally, great catch GP3NY. I slowed down the show to see if the light blue team was Carolina, and when I saw that it wasn't, I didn't even pay attention to the actual letters... NCTH and DBD. Oh, those clever Hollywood folk.

So I re-wound the show last night - and TURNED IT UP. Because the dad was obviously saying something thought provoking and "dad-like" to Finn.

The script was (more or less) this:

Curt's Dad: Man, I hate Duke more than I hate the nazis.
Finn: (pause) Yeah, tell me about it.
CD: They recruit these guys...(fade out), and what they don't understand is that they're going to a college built entirely on tobacco."

I love Glee, and I thought the reference to Duke hate was specific to the times, and something a surrogate dad would say to his girlfriend's son (who's on the varsity BB team).

Not that the faded out script deviates from THAT particular premise, but the fact that they went after the tobacco stuff makes you realize that they're less about the sports - and more about just hating on the south.

The game, itself, is between a Red/White team playing at home - and a sky-blue-esque team on the road. However,

A) It is obviously an NBA-type arena
B) It is NOT UNC (as it is not actually UNC colors)

As someone mentioned, it is DBD vs. NCTH on the screen.

I don't think this warrants any spate of hatemail to the Glee producers, but whomever put it in the script has an intense dislike of both Duke - AND the south.

Starter
04-28-2010, 05:09 PM
I don't think this warrants any spate of hatemail to the Glee producers, but whomever put it in the script has an intense dislike of both Duke - AND the south.

You do realize, if a character in a television show, movie or book says something, it doesn't automatically mean that the writers of the show actually believe in whatever the character says.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
You do realize, if a character in a television show, movie or book says something, it doesn't automatically mean that the writers of the show actually believe in whatever the character says.

EXACTLY, but I guess some people just love the feeling of being hated.

stillcrazie
04-28-2010, 05:23 PM
Thanks for posting that. I totally missed the tobacco part.

I am really surprised at all the Glee fans on this board. I am going to try watching it again, because there were some things I liked about the show and I'm intrigued by the buzz, but I really hated the melodramatic bursting-into-song-during-incredibly-emotionally-charged-situations. While I was watching it, I actually thought, "This is such a chick show," which I intended, in my own mind, as somewhat of an insult. And I am a female who prides herself on despising "chick beers" (e.g. Allagash White, Blue Moon) and knowing more about good beer (Bell's Two Hearted Ale, Founder's Dirty Bastard) and Duke basketball than most guys I know (participants on this board excepted). So, y'all are telling me that American men, Duke basketball fans no less, sit at home and watch Glee. Okay, now I am trying to picture you guys weeping into your kleenex during the songs. It's just not working for me.

3rd Dukie
04-28-2010, 06:22 PM

I give.
What is Glee?

BTW, I love your car tag. I am from Dekalb County as well.

gumbomoop
04-28-2010, 06:50 PM
EXACTLY, but I guess some people just love the feeling of being hated.

I probably would misinterpret your point here, were to I try either to agree or disagree with it. So, instead, I'll jump off from it to say that in the vast majority of instances, I personally [as one person among a possible large set of "some people"] have been both irritated and amused by the ubiquitous Duke-hate.

However, for me, and intending to speak for no one else, "vast majority" does not include explicit statements from the mouth of a sympathetic pop culture [?] character who implicitly compares Duke to Nazis.

In my now-4 posts on this thread, I have said it's dangerous to compare loosely anyone/anything to Hitler and Nazis. I've come close to doing so myself in recent days, so I have to think carefully about my own glass house. [I willingly except "The Producers," but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, with "internal" outrage over songs such as "Springtime with Hitler" made quite explicit.]

Most, though not quite all, posters seem less troubled than I about this scene and dialogue. I don't like it because, imo, it crosses a line not broached by even normally - make that abnormally - vicious Duke-hate. I don't intend to write to the folks who produce Glee, nor to the sponsors. Nor do I prefer to get into a pissing contest over this issue, so I'll hope to respect, if grudgingly, the different point of view of others, without adopting it.

stillcrazie
04-28-2010, 07:23 PM
In my now-4 posts on this thread, I have said it's dangerous to compare loosely anyone/anything to Hitler and Nazis. I've come close to doing so myself in recent days, so I have to think carefully about my own glass house. [I willingly except "The Producers," but that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish, with "internal" outrage over songs such as "Springtime with Hitler" made quite explicit.]

Most, though not quite all, posters seem less troubled than I about this scene and dialogue. I don't like it because, imo, it crosses a line not broached by even normally - make that abnormally - vicious Duke-hate.

I've thought a bit more about this in the past hour and I tend to agree. It bothers me less in terms of Duke-hate and more in terms of trivializing Hitler and Nazism. To compare anyone with them trivializes what they did, which should not be so glibly dismissed.

DevilOfATime
04-28-2010, 07:26 PM
Never heard of this show. The title of Glee itself sounds dumb.

Starter
04-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Man, you guys must have really hated American History X.

drdoctormd
04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Glee got pwned by Jon Stewart--the whole bit is actually pretty funny, with a tongue-in-cheek "Duke-Hating" theme.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-april-6-2010/jock-rap

(sorry you'll have to sit through a :30 commercial)

gumbomoop
04-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Man, you guys must have really hated American History X.

For the record, I can't say I'd use the word "enjoy" to describe my take on "Am His X," but "hate," no. More like fascinated and unsettled by a brutal film about a disturbing phenomenon.

I assume your comment here fits your previous advice to chill out. I accepted your counsel temporarily, and do think that this will simply die down. But it shouldn't go away because we collectively or individually imagine there's any resemblance between "Am His X" and a tongue-in-cheek social comedy. Even to call this an apples/oranges fallacy would understate the difference considerably.

This thread - or at least the Glee stuff - will fade because of lack of interest in pursuing the real difference of opinion about whether the scene and dialogue in question was parody or not. I still do not know, but I've not succeeded in eliciting many straightforward responses to the questions I posed in post #81. I do not recant, unless and until persuaded by substantive argument. But I do relent and thus, for all intents and purposes, chill out.

I promise [or threaten] to post more lightheartedly on other threads, where lightheartedness seems, to me, more appropriate.

grad_devil
04-28-2010, 11:33 PM
Nope, a forward. His unc antagonist was a PG.

Yep, in Deal Breaker, the first book, it says somewhere early on that he's a forward.

got it: page 44:

"Myron was short for a forward, a program six-six (really only six-four), but he was a physical brute, a bull, and a hell of a leaper for a white man. He was highly recruited, chose Duke, and won two NCAA titles in four years."

Wow. To think that I've read all of those books and still was (nearly) positive he was a point guard; says quite a bit about my reading comprehension/retention.

I think I'll blame it on the poster who wrote about these books in the off-topic board long ago...yeah, that's where I got it from :)

Thanks for setting me straight, grossbus...

--grad_devil

Starter
04-29-2010, 12:06 AM
=
I still do not know, but I've not succeeded in eliciting many straightforward responses to the questions I posed in post #81. I do not recant, unless and until persuaded by substantive argument. But I do relent and thus, for all intents and purposes, chill out.

With AMX, I was just drawing a parallel -- intentionally a ridiculous one -- to people taking seriously what a fictional character in a show says or does. Listen man, it's all good, you don't have to recant anything in my book. We're all Duke fans here, I got nothing but love for any and all of you.

(And besides, we have been known to agree -- I, for one, lean towards retiring Scheyer, FWIW)

proelitedota
04-29-2010, 01:36 AM

That's a pretty hilarious line that is somewhat true (although grades isn't the basis of most rejections).

An example of smart and researched humor, unlike the shock material that was in Glee.

1999ballboy
04-29-2010, 03:50 AM
IIRC, Adam Sandler wears a Duke shirt briefly in Happy Gilmore.

stillcrazie
04-29-2010, 08:14 AM
This thread - or at least the Glee stuff - will fade because of lack of interest in pursuing the real difference of opinion about whether the scene and dialogue in question was parody or not. I still do not know, but I've not succeeded in eliciting many straightforward responses to the questions I posed in post #81. I do not recant, unless and until persuaded by substantive argument. But I do relent and thus, for all intents and purposes, chill out.

I think a couple of us did argue that it was not a parody, based on the context of the scene and the development of the characters. The only better argument I think you're going to get would be from the author him/herself to tell you what his/her intent was. It was probably intended to be humorous that the two guys bonded over Duke-hate, but not parodic. As far as the comparison to Nazis goes, I think that unfortunately, that has become the standard if you want to peg some entity as "evil." It's the kind of thing this regular-guy-character who is passionate about sports would say.

This thread will die out since it's not all that germane to the topic of this board, but I am glad you brought up the issues you did, even if for some reason you are not convinced by my observations/arguments (which are pretty solid!).

bluebear
04-29-2010, 08:44 AM
I think a couple of us did argue that it was not a parody, based on the context of the scene and the development of the characters. The only better argument I think you're going to get would be from the author him/herself to tell you what his/her intent was. It was probably intended to be humorous that the two guys bonded over Duke-hate, but not parodic. As far as the comparison to Nazis goes, I think that unfortunately, that has become the standard if you want to peg some entity as "evil." It's the kind of thing this regular-guy-character who is passionate about sports would say.

This thread will die out since it's not all that germane to the topic of this board, but I am glad you brought up the issues you did, even if for some reason you are not convinced by my observations/arguments (which are pretty solid!).

This thread will hopefully die because it's really not worth discussing. I mentioned the Glee line and this thread to a friend yesterday and the response was "that thread is exactly why people hate Duke"..

scheyersbiggestfan
04-29-2010, 09:29 AM
I think it is a great off season thread and I hope it doesn't die 'til October. It reminds me of Where's Waldo.

drdoctormd mentions the recent clip on Jon Stewart after the championship. In case you didn't know, Duke's got an insider....
http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/030409/artist1.html

DukeDevil
04-29-2010, 09:34 AM
This thread will hopefully die because it's really not worth discussing. I mentioned the Glee line and this thread to a friend yesterday and the response was "that thread is exactly why people hate Duke"..

I feel like people will find reason to hate on duke no matter what. Whatever Duke fans are doing..."see? That's why people hate Duke"

Celebrating a win with a bonfire "that's why people hate Duke" (what about maryland?). Have a thread on your own teams forums about a slight against your school and team? "that's why people hate Duke." Basically, do anything that any other fan may do for their own team reasonably and "that's why people hate Duke."

I just roll my eyes and move on. Then again, that's probably why people hate Duke.

bluebear
04-29-2010, 09:56 AM
I feel like people will find reason to hate on duke no matter what. Whatever Duke fans are doing..."see? That's why people hate Duke"

Celebrating a win with a bonfire "that's why people hate Duke" (what about maryland?). Have a thread on your own teams forums about a slight against your school and team? "that's why people hate Duke." Basically, do anything that any other fan may do for their own team reasonably and "that's why people hate Duke."

I just roll my eyes and move on. Then again, that's probably why people hate Duke.

I agree in general (that people will come up with any reason) but this thread in particular makes Duke fans look whiney and like we have a persecution complex..who cares about some joke line in a tv show..people were concerned in the past that all this Duke bball hatred would result in players not wanting to come here..we just won an NC, we are likely pre-season #1..We have some great recruits inked (and hopefully more inked soon)...So who cares about Duke "hate"...would people prefer Duke bball be hated or irrelevant? Embrace the hate...it's likely to get a hole lot worse over the next few years..

stillcrazie
04-29-2010, 10:20 AM
I agree in general (that people will come up with any reason) but this thread in particular makes Duke fans look whiney and like we have a persecution complex..who cares about some joke line in a tv show..people were concerned in the past that all this Duke bball hatred would result in players not wanting to come here..we just won an NC, we are likely pre-season #1..We have some great recruits inked (and hopefully more inked soon)...So who cares about Duke "hate"...would people prefer Duke bball be hated or irrelevant? Embrace the hate...it's likely to get a hole lot worse over the next few years..

If you read through the entire thread, it's not really or even mostly complaining about Duke hate. Most of us, myself included, do embrace the hate. There's some analysis of the show and discussion of other instances in which Duke shows up in various ways in movies and TV. It's the off-season, and Duke gets mentioned on a popular TV show. Expect it to be discussed, over-analyzed, etc.

Andre Buckner Fan
04-29-2010, 12:09 PM

I agree that your friend is reaching. Few people outside of UNC fans know why they actually hate Duke. And we're not the only place discussing this topic.

Huffington Post has a story (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/28/glee-duke-nazi-comparison_n_555961.html) (sorry if this has been linked to earlier, but I didn't see it).

Oh and I love Jon Stewart :p

killerleft
04-29-2010, 12:25 PM
If you read through the entire thread, it's not really or even mostly complaining about Duke hate. Most of us, myself included, do embrace the hate. There's some analysis of the show and discussion of other instances in which Duke shows up in various ways in movies and TV. It's the off-season, and Duke gets mentioned on a popular TV show. Expect it to be discussed, over-analyzed, etc.

But, most of all, remember always that people "hate" Duke because we win. We win so much and draw so many viewers that people resent Duke and get to hate us a lot. Superb!

Love the Hate!

shoutingncu
04-29-2010, 12:29 PM
drdoctormd mentions the recent clip on Jon Stewart after the championship. In case you didn't know, Duke's got an insider....
http://dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/030409/artist1.html

So does North Carolina (Wyatt Cenac (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyatt_Cenac)).

Ah, I knew him when...

ironman
04-29-2010, 12:33 PM
Interesting note (sorry if its already been mentioned). But the actor who says the line is Mike O'Malley. Mike O'Malley's sister is one Kerry O'Malley, a duke grad. I think O'Malley probably came up with the line to rib on his sister.

cf-62
04-29-2010, 12:45 PM
Interesting note (sorry if its already been mentioned). But the actor who says the line is Mike O'Malley. Mike O'Malley's sister is one Kerry O'Malley, a duke grad. I think O'Malley probably came up with the line to rib on his sister.

Having watched Mike O'Malley stand-up and his shows for years, this makes perfect sense.

Starter
04-29-2010, 12:55 PM

Nah, that can't be it. They probably just despise Duke.

ironman
04-29-2010, 01:38 PM
Yes it can be:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641747/bio

Starter
04-29-2010, 01:48 PM
Yes it can be:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0641747/bio

(Sorry -- my sarcasm didn't come through there) :)

pfrduke
04-29-2010, 01:49 PM

While I agree that we are, as a collective fan base, a bit oversensitive to criticism, I hardly think it's fair to say that people hate us because we get bothered by somebody saying "I hate Duke like I hate the Nazis." "Can't take a Nazi joke in good fun" cannot possibly be a reason to justify Duke hate.

Andre Buckner Fan
04-29-2010, 02:00 PM

Well, if that's the case then he's certainly touched a nerve. I don't think it was really over the line... for better or worse Nazi comparisons have become almost humorously overused (see Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)).

I prefer this website's approach to bad Duke comparisons. (http://www.sbnation.com/2010/4/28/1449576/duke-nazis-basketball-glee-joke-fox)

ironman
04-29-2010, 02:00 PM
(Sorry -- my sarcasm didn't come through there) :)

My bad

gumbomoop
04-29-2010, 02:02 PM

Sorry I wasn't specific enough. The key word, for purposes of your tag quote here, was the word "many" in my tag quote that you quoted. I assume the issue simply isn't important enough to many posters, who either think it was parody or don't care, as they think this is not a big deal, maybe even a "whiny" issue. I prefer not to be labeled a "whiner," and hope even more not to be one, but it's conceivable..... As I posted before, I relent, but do not recant.

As to not being "convinced" by your observations/arguments, well, that's literally accurate in a narrow sense, but not really. Having admitted that "I do not know" whether it was parody or not, and hoping, but failing, to elicit a fuller [= "many" = "more"] discussion of the controversy, I lean strongly toward the conclusions [i.e., it was not parody, it did cross a line, etc.] you have stated in several posts. I suspect no one would counter your spot-on observation that Hitler/Nazis has become a handy evil-peg, and "It's the kind of thing this regular-guy-character who is passionate about sports would say."

This thread has done nothing to change my view that one should think carefully before coming anywhere close to comparing X to either Hitler or Nazis. And I say this as someone who in the past few months has compared X to fascism. I'm rethinking.

PADukeMom
04-29-2010, 02:31 PM
Honestly I wouldn't have been offended if the joke stopped at "I hate Duke" or Duke suck or gets all the calls. I would have laughed & gave props for the mention.

IMHO though to put these talented young men who worked their butts off to win a NC on the same level as a mass murdering regime went over the line.

Ah...whatever. Who watches Fox anyway:p

Reilly
04-29-2010, 03:49 PM
IMHO though to put these talented young men who worked their butts off to win a NC on the same level as a mass murdering regime went over the line.

Depends on what you mean by putting on the same level. The character does not say Duke is equally bad as Nazis; the character does not say Duke is the moral equivalent of a mass murdering regime. The character apparently hates Nazis (b/c Nazis are bad). The character hates Duke just as much as something really bad. It (the hate) says nothing about the moral worth or unworth of Duke ... the comparison speaks only to the level of Duke hatred the character holds -- it only says something about the character.

gumbomoop
04-29-2010, 08:01 PM
Depends on what you mean by putting on the same level. The character does not say Duke is equally bad as Nazis; the character does not say Duke is the moral equivalent of a mass murdering regime. The character apparently hates Nazis (b/c Nazis are bad). The character hates Duke just as much as something really bad. It (the hate) says nothing about the moral worth or unworth of Duke ... the comparison speaks only to the level of Duke hatred the character holds -- it only says something about the character.

This is a worthwhile perspective, involving careful analysis of something like the logic of the character's syntax. It is probably a stretch, however, to think that the line as delivered evoked in millions of viewers such a point-by-point breakdown. As delivered, surely it was intended to evoke a quick-not-thinking laugh or smile. It's an interesting point, again, debatable, whether the smile for most came from, "Gee, that guy really hates Duke, because the Nazis were evil," or from, "Ha, yeah, those Dukies are like Nazis, a-holes."

On the debatable point: yes, it's possible that whoever we may "credit" with this line, that person intended the audience to think - in the blink of an eye - about the depth of this person's weird hatred of Duke; specifically, as you've concluded, "it only says something about the character." I'm guessing it's more likely, however, that the author of the line was going for a much cheaper laugh, not at the character's over-the-top hatred, but at Duke's culturally-sanctioned "evil." [Admitting, of course, that characterizing Duke-hate as "cultured" is a crock.]

weezie
04-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Yah, well, the other day at spin class, the instructor yelled out, "Hey weezie! Did you hear how they were hating on Duke last night at the end Glee?! I thought of you right away!!! HAHAHA."
So, if this guy noticed, I'm guessing a few other folks did.
I pointed at my National Champions shirt and waved back at him. Well, it was kind of a wave.

BD80
04-29-2010, 09:17 PM
Yah, well, the other day at spin class, the instructor yelled out, "Hey weezie! Did you hear how they were hating on Duke last night at the end Glee?! I thought of you right away!!! HAHAHA."
So, if this guy noticed, I'm guessing a few other folks did.
I pointed at my National Champions shirt and waved back at him. Well, it was kind of a wave.

I believe it is referred to as a "salute." Besides, I believe it is also appropriate to make a gesture to convey that we are, indeed, # 1.

brevity
04-30-2010, 01:01 AM

I saw this explanation in the Huffington Post comments as well. Didn't work there, doesn't work here.

Take the best possible interpretation of the statement, the one that is most gracious and kind to the speaker, and it's still horrible. That is all you need to know.

I'll never understand why people want to investigate baldness with a fine-toothed comb. (Apologies to Mr. O'Malley.)

Reilly
04-30-2010, 06:39 AM
I don't believe it is "gracious" or "kind" to the speaker to say the speaker is filled with hate. It simply is: a statement of 'fact.'

The fact of the speaker's hate-filled heart says nothing whatsoever about the objective, "factual" moral worth of the thing (here, Duke) that is hated by the speaker. As Duke fans, we should know this as well as anyone: what others say is a reflection on those others, and in no way necessarily comports with the actual worth of the thing hated (think Maryland fans).

"Don’t Take Anything Personally – Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering." - The Four Agreements

I hate Duke b/c they are worse than Nazis.
I hate Duke as much as I hate Nazis.

Both statements indicate the speaker is filled with hate. Not kind or gracious to say that about the speaker -- also not unkind to say that about the speaker -- it just is. In the first statement, the speaker is wrong (Duke is not worse than the Nazis). In the second statement -- if the speaker is thinking that Duke is equal to or worse than the Nazis (the speaker doesn't say) -- the speaker is also wrong.

PADukeMom
04-30-2010, 11:14 AM

In that type of context I do agree with your arguement. I can take a joke; heck my brothers live in Maryland, I have 'Nova friends & my plumbing supply rep is a huge Carolina fan. I do get it.

My point of thinking this joke was in bad taste is suppose the nazi word was changed with the deplorable other "n" word. How upset would everyone have been then? If that would have had everyone upset then the nazi reference should have as well. That is just my opinion which I am allowed to make.

CrazieDUMB
04-30-2010, 11:50 AM
My point of thinking this joke was in bad taste is suppose the nazi word was changed with the deplorable other "n" word. How upset would everyone have been then? If that would have had everyone upset then the nazi reference should have as well. That is just my opinion which I am allowed to make.

First of all, as many other posters will say, don't be afraid to put forth an opinion, especially when it's well thought out.

However, I will disagree. I don't think it's equivalent to replace "nazi" with a more deplorable word and use that as the measuring stick. The reason it doesn't offend me is because nazi is the most overused adjective for bad things ever. Everything anyone has had an opinion about, at some point has been compared to a nazi (see Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)). I understand if using nazi is still offensive to some people, especially people whose families were directly affected by nazis. I'm not going to get worked up by it.

flyingdutchdevil
04-30-2010, 12:05 PM
Ummmm.... pretty sure that Nazis are universally hated. Changing Nazis with a racist phrase completely changes the dynamics (and intent) of that quote. I really think you're reading into this a little too much. I have absolutely no issue with what Glee did. I even laughed when I saw it (yup - I just admitted to watching Glee).

However, I don't want to argue with anyone. The posters arguing this subject has been entertaining enough. Please continue!

left_hook_lacey
05-03-2010, 10:08 AM
Well, if that's the case then he's certainly touched a nerve. I don't think it was really over the line... for better or worse Nazi comparisons have become almost humorously overused (see Godwin's Law (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law)).

I prefer this website's approach to bad Duke comparisons. (http://www.sbnation.com/2010/4/28/1449576/duke-nazis-basketball-glee-joke-fox)

Agreed. Calling someone a nazi or even Hitler has become commonplace for someone that runs a tight ship at work, or is strictly by the book. (see "soup nazi" episode of Senfeild).

I think we're being a little over-sensitive here because the guy used Nazi hate to describe the level of his hate for Duke. If he had said Kentucky or Calipari, we would probably all be posting how hilarious we thought it was.

The quality assurance supervisor at my company is known throughout the plant as "Hitler" because he doesn't let anything pass that is not 100% by the book. He has rejected a shipment going to Nissan because it had a mispelled word on it.

Duvall
05-03-2010, 10:12 AM
I think we're being a little over-sensitive here because the guy used Nazi hate to describe the level of his hate for Duke. If he had said Kentucky or Calipari, we would probably all be posting how hilarious we thought it was..

I think that's pretty unlikely. It probably just would have been ignored.

Starter
05-03-2010, 12:07 PM
I think that's pretty unlikely. It probably just would have been ignored.

Nah, probably not. We're on our second lengthy thread here completely dedicated to Kentucky, who doesn't play in our conference and whom we haven't played in over eight years (I think?). Not only would it almost assuredly not have been ignored if the line had referenced UK, Glee probably would have won some new fans around here -- as well it should, the episode in question here really was quite good, as per usual.