PDA

View Full Version : Duke Tattoo

mattman91
04-27-2010, 03:34 PM
So, I've been thinking of getting a tattoo for a while now and with graduation coming up i thought to myself the perfect opportunity to get one would be on senior week at Myrtle Beach. To show my dedication to Duke basketball i want a Duke tattoo but I'm not sure exactly what to get. The location would either be at the top of my arm or top middle part of my back.

Can i get some ideas???? and i will definately post the picture when i get it!

cspan37421
04-27-2010, 03:48 PM
So, I've been thinking of getting a tattoo for a while now and with graduation coming up i thought to myself the perfect opportunity to get one would be on senior week at Myrtle Beach. To show my dedication to Duke basketball i want a Duke tattoo but I'm not sure exactly what to get. The location would either be at the top of my arm or top middle part of my back.

My favorite has always been the stylized D with the basketball and hoop in the middle:

http://www.stormgrounds.com/media/Duke-Basketball.jpg

When I got married, my Duke groomsmen got watches with this logo on it. It should have been perfect - but guess what? If you center the logo, the basketball and hoop are not centered; and vice-versa. Still, it looked pretty cool.

That said, I have no tattoos and would not get one.

mattman91
04-27-2010, 03:55 PM
Thats acually been the logo i was thinking about. I think it would look pretty awesome. Im a Christian and tattoos are controversial to us, but i couldnt get anything with a devil on it, so the d logo with the ball and hoop may be the best. I was also thinking about getting some kind of little phrase or something with it.

Eckster
04-27-2010, 03:57 PM
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2010/0331/ncb_KyleSingler_600.jpg

Jarhead
04-27-2010, 04:10 PM

Why?:eek:

cspan37421
04-27-2010, 04:14 PM
Im a Christian and tattoos are controversial to us, but i couldnt get anything with a devil on it, so the d logo with the ball and hoop may be the best. I was also thinking about getting some kind of little phrase or something with it.

Well, if you feel that way, you might also like the University Shield.

http://www.duke.edu/web/bouchet/images/duke-shield.jpg

Or this interesting stylized one (from Duke Medical Center) which is a little less intricate (but no wording)

It's giant so I'll just show the link:

http://phdposters.com/affiliations/dumc_shield.png

or let me try this:
http://www.wfubmc.edu/assets/0/76/302/372/587/594/1988/a44aae4c-31ec-479e-85e7-29167cc423b4.jpg

DukeGirl4ever
04-27-2010, 04:17 PM
I got a a Blue Devil tattoo a few years ago on my ankle. I want to get it updated now with the 4 championship years around it but my husband brought up a valid point: What if Duke wins 10 championships in the next 20 years? It would kind of look stupid with the 4, so I'm trying to come up with a different way like to get the Duke "D" on my wrist and then maybe flowers around it - one to represent each championship and then put the year in it. I don't know, still toying around with the idea, so suggestions are welcome for me as well.

Anyway, here's my tattoo right after it was done. You can still see the purple outline from the transfer they used and you can see what looks like some rough patches from where I was bleeding.
But, it turned out great and I LOVE IT!

Big Pappa
04-27-2010, 04:19 PM
Thats acually been the logo i was thinking about. I think it would look pretty awesome. Im a Christian and tattoos are controversial to us, but i couldnt get anything with a devil on it, so the d logo with the ball and hoop may be the best. I was also thinking about getting some kind of little phrase or something with it.

I'm also a Christian and I have a tattoo, a verse of scripture. In my mind a tattoo is just like anything else you put on your body (except that it's obviously permanent), you have to ask yourself, "is this bringing glory to God or to something else?"

That said, I have no problem with a Duke tattoo as long as Duke is not something that you are putting before God.

Bob Green
04-27-2010, 04:23 PM
So, I've been thinking of getting a tattoo for a while now...

I suggest you spend some more time thinking about it.

mattman91
04-27-2010, 04:24 PM
I do like the shield idea, its pretty cool, and singlers our house design, but thats more dor just this year. I want something that will last forever.

dukegirl, thats nice i wouldnt mind just the classic blue devils head.

billyj
04-27-2010, 04:29 PM

I had to agree with this. :cool:

DukeGirl4ever
04-27-2010, 04:31 PM
I do like the shield idea, its pretty cool, and singlers our house design, but thats more dor just this year. I want something that will last forever.

dukegirl, thats nice i wouldnt mind just the classic blue devils head.

I see the possible controversy you may have with the devil's head, though.
I'm a Christian, just a bit liberal :p

That being said, I also thought about getting a tattoo since I was 18 but was too chicken. I finally got one at the age of 25 for my birthday. I can honestly say I never thought twice about my decision. I love it, it is a perfect representation of my life (basketball has made me who I am and it has given me opportunities I never could have dreamed of), and every time I look at it, I'm reminded of great memories and great things to come. So if you get a tattoo that symbolizes something that will help you remember life experiences (granted I never went to Duke but like I said, basketball in itself has given me great opportunities and Duke basketball just intensified my love of the game), I think that's what a tattoo should represent.

Devils Rock
04-27-2010, 04:33 PM
I had to agree with this. :cool:

+1. There's a reason that there is a big business here in L.A. for tattoo removal.

cspan37421
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
+1. There's a reason that there is a big business here in L.A. for tattoo removal.

"Winona Forever" ==> "Wino Forever"

'course it didn't really hurt his take-home pay any....

weezie
04-27-2010, 04:45 PM

OK, I'm a party pooper but seriously, mattman, please, for old weezie's sake, consider your mother's opinion.
I would pass out if one of my kids showed up with a tattoo.
But if she's cool...and you are also cool with the idea of your own kids....including your daughters (if you decide to have kids) getting tatts, then needle away and enjoy your young self! :o
But remember, the scarring and healing process can be itchy so watch the sun in Myrtle.

kingboozer
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
i always wanted the old logo from the 60's

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/31/663/full/tnkhb6083c4mmihfon1z.gif

Big Pappa
04-27-2010, 04:50 PM

A US Navy vet with no tats?

AisanderD
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
I would suggest something like this:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2010/03/04/PH2010030404124.jpg

Bob Green
04-27-2010, 05:03 PM
A US Navy vet with no tats?

I have tats, which is the rationale behind my advice to spend more time thinking about the decision to visit the tattoo parlor. You can't wake-up some morning and just decide to wash them off.

Big Pappa
04-27-2010, 05:05 PM
I have tats, which is the rationale behind my advice to spend more time thinking about the decision to visit the tattoo parlor. You can't wake-up some morning and just decide to wash them off.

A wise point.

DukeGirl4ever
04-27-2010, 05:12 PM
This I do agree with....I contemplated for 7 years, so I think that was enough waiting time. :D

ReformedAggie
04-27-2010, 06:16 PM
plus in later years they sag and that just isn't a good look :)

Eckster
04-27-2010, 06:54 PM

As an anesthesiologist, I often work with a dermatologist at Duke who specializes in laser skin treatments. Laser treatments are a way to remove tatoos that are no longer wanted. I understand that the process of removing tatoos requires multiple treatments and can cost quite a bit since depending on the type of tatoo (use of colors, etc), it can require multiple laser sessions. In any case, Bob Green's advice is wise. Think about it. Having said that, if you get something classic, hard to go wrong if it's something timeless (not like using your current girlfriend's name) and you remain a fan of Duke for life (likely for most of us!). In that context, perhaps my suggestion of the "17-0" Singler logo is not the best choice.

RockLobster
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
How has no one thought of this yet?

http://www.sportslogos.net/images/logos/31/663/full/jgoyj6fi8dtvi588jrig4qgi2.gif

mattman91
04-27-2010, 09:53 PM
OK, I'm a party pooper but seriously, mattman, please, for old weezie's sake, consider your mother's opinion.
But if she's cool...and you are also cool with the idea of your own kids....including your daughters (if you decide to have kids) getting tatts, then needle away and enjoy your young self! :o
But remember, the scarring and healing process can be itchy so watch the sun in Myrtle.

I love my parents to death and TRY to obey them and make them proud, that being said, I'm a man now....atleast i tell myself that...:D. I told my dad of the idea and he was cool with it (being a Navy vet, and having four or five of his own), I also told my mom of the plan. I asked her what she would do if i got a tattoo and her exact words " I wouldn't be doing anything. but YOU would be packing your bags" :) I seriously doubt she would kick me out but it would upset her. The truth is I'm an adult now and i want a tattoo. not just any tattoo. I want a tatt that i will always appreciate and one that means something to me. DUKE BASKETBALL is who I am, and i want to show my loyalty.

When i become a dad (the worlds best btw) I would be cool with my kids getting tattoos when they turn 18

MrBisonDevil
04-27-2010, 10:24 PM
I have tattoos (left & right deltoids + upper back blade to blade). I thought about getting a Duke tattoo when I graduated in '01 but the tattoo did not fit with the story of my existing tats. I have very strong feeling about tattoos.

My personal questions about tattoos:
1 - What story does the tattoo convey?
2 - Is your tattoo a permanent piece of jewelry meant to show off?
3 - Will your tattoo mean just as much to you if no one except for your closest loved ones saw it?
4 - Can your tattoo be covered if you are wearing shorts, sandals and a t-shirt?
5 - Could the meaning of your tattoo be negatively misunderstood if a professional acquaintance saw it?

I believe a simple college tattoo is appropriate if it can be easily covered in casual settings.

Note: I swim & snorkel with a Under Armour t-shirt to prevent sun from damaging my tattoos and to keep my self covered. My tattoos are very important to me. I will only wear a tank top in public for comfort in tropical environments.

Jarhead
04-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Good post, Bob. I guess each generation has to make its own mistakes.

Jim3k
04-28-2010, 12:01 AM
I believe a simple college tattoo is appropriate if it can be easily covered in casual settings.

Note: I swim & snorkel with a Under Armour t-shirt to prevent sun from damaging my tattoos and to keep my self covered. My tattoos are very important to me. I will only wear a tank top in public for comfort in tropical environments.

George Schultz, former secretary of state among other offices, a Princeton grad, put a Princeton Tiger tat on his -- uh... -- fanny.

See No. 12 on this list (http://mag.rankmytattoos.com/21-most-surprising-celebrity-tattoos.html).

TobaMom
04-28-2010, 12:54 AM
"I also told my mom of the plan. I asked her what she would do if i got a tattoo and her exact words " I wouldn't be doing anything. but YOU would be packing your bags" :) I seriously doubt she would kick me out but it would upset her. The truth is I'm an adult now and i want a tattoo. not just any tattoo. I want a tatt that i will always appreciate and one that means something to me. DUKE BASKETBALL is who I am, and i want to show my loyalty."

As a mom, I would suggest you reread what you wrote. Out of respect for your mom, give it a bit more time and talk with her about why you want it. Your sentence about being an adult and wanting what you want is interesting.

That said, if you get one, make sure the place is REALLY clean.

Skitzle
04-28-2010, 06:42 AM
http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u233/terpbe2/scheyergt08b.jpg

oldnavy
04-28-2010, 07:07 AM
Good post, Bob. I guess each generation has to make its own mistakes.

I am a Navy vet without a tattoo. By the time tatoos became mainstream I was too old to care about getting one. As a devoted Christian, I really do not see a problem with getting a tat. In fact when I have considered getting a tat I though about a scripture verse/cross type of design... Romans 14:14 hints at this type of contriversy as to wether it is acceptable or not.

Johnboy
04-28-2010, 08:10 AM
plus in later years they sag and that just isn't a good look :)

I was standing in line with my kids one day when an older woman walked up with a saggy tat on her arm. It totally grossed out my kids. I wanted to thank her!

That said, my sister's partner is a dermatology PA, and they both have tats, despite my sis's partner having had one removed and seeing others go through painful laser removal.

The best "college" tat I've seen was on a UCLA grad. He had a simple, but good looking "UCLA" tat diagonally across his ankle/lower leg. With hairy legs, it didn't pop out, but it was pretty cool. A simple D U K E tat in tasteful letters in an inconspicuous place . . .

Then there's always this - but you said you don't want a devil:
http://www.logoshak.com/~asgsport/images6/Duke_tb_logo.gif

noyac
04-28-2010, 10:22 AM
I would get the old logo/mascot image that has the Blue Devil on fire rolling up his sleeve. I have thought about getting that one for years.

DukeGirl4ever
04-28-2010, 01:12 PM
I was standing in line with my kids one day when an older woman walked up with a saggy tat on her arm. It totally grossed out my kids. I wanted to thank her!

:eek: That's why people should be "smart" and get them on non-fatty places (or places that can never get fatty)!.

Ankles, feet, wrists, back/shoulder area, forearms are decent places.
My ex sister-in-law had one on her arm (like mentioned above) and in about 5 years she blew up like a balloon and you couldn't even make out what she had on her arm. Totally gross.

Kids, remember this IF getting a tattoo.

PADukeMom
04-28-2010, 01:24 PM

Can you please now talk my son out of doing this too???? He is planning on getting the "D" icon with the NC years in a band underneath.

I told him I would buy him a t-shirt for every year we won the NC IF he doesn't go through with it.

ReformedAggie
04-28-2010, 04:32 PM
My question is, why do you feel the desperate need to mark yourself with your opinions: Isn't just feeling passionate about something enough? I love Duke, scuba diving, chocolate, and the gull wing Mercedes -- but I have no need to ink my skin to declare these preferences to the world. The world doesn't care, and at some later time in life, you might not either.

fuse
04-28-2010, 04:48 PM
Well, if you feel that way, you might also like the University Shield.

http://www.duke.edu/web/bouchet/images/duke-shield.jpg

Or this interesting stylized one (from Duke Medical Center) which is a little less intricate (but no wording)

It's giant so I'll just show the link:

http://phdposters.com/affiliations/dumc_shield.png

or let me try this:
http://www.wfubmc.edu/assets/0/76/302/372/587/594/1988/a44aae4c-31ec-479e-85e7-29167cc423b4.jpg

I have a fraternity letters tattoo on my ankle from my days at Duke, and the shield is something I consider as a potential future tattoo.

hudlow
04-28-2010, 05:36 PM
Just get your tongue pierced instead.

hud

mattman91
04-28-2010, 10:34 PM
My question is, why do you feel the desperate need to mark yourself with your opinions: Isn't just feeling passionate about something enough? I love Duke, scuba diving, chocolate, and the gull wing Mercedes -- but I have no need to ink my skin to declare these preferences to the world. The world doesn't care, and at some later time in life, you might not either.

I would love to show off my duke Tattoos. Some people feel different about it and I understand, but I have wanted a tattoo for a while. It's not like i had a random idea to just get a Duke tattoo. Its something i have thought about. and heck, who knows if i regret it later, Im sure there will be better technology for tattoo removal:D but i doubt i would ever want to get rid of it.