PDA

View Full Version : Thaddeus Lewis

rasputin
04-27-2010, 11:47 AM
Signed as a free agent by the Rams. Watch out Bradford!:rolleyes:

mkline09
04-27-2010, 11:54 AM
I can see Thad being a serviceable back up in the NFL. Not sure if he is going to get much of a chance with Bradford in St. Louis.

Although I do remember when the Redskins drafted Heath Schuler in the first round and Gus Ferrotte in the seventh and Ferrotte beat Schuler out. Stranger things have happened.

PumpkinFunk
04-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Honestly, I could see Thad seeing some real playing time. A.J. Feeley is the "best" veteran on the team, and he's not really that good, having been a career backup. Keith Null was awful last year in his one start (and when Ryan Leaf was your college QB, and Mike Reilly was signed only when Keith Null was forced to start.

When you consider that Bradford comes from a spread offense and cannot take a lot of punishment (look at how he crumpled on those 2 sacks, something which he had rarely been through before last year), you have to wonder what happens if he gets injured. Considering the Rams are in rebuilding mode, Thad will probably get a chance sometime during the regular season to see what he can do.

Thad might prove to be better in the Rams preseason games, but there's no way that he'll start barring injury. The Rams have invested too much into Bradford to let an UDFA start at any point instead of him.

rasputin
04-27-2010, 12:24 PM
Null actually started four games last year (the last four), and he was awful in three of them, and non-awful in the Houston game (all losses). He got the chance because of injuries to both Bulger and Boller, both of whom are now gone from the Rams. Lewis might be an upgrade as a backup.

scottdude8
04-27-2010, 01:15 PM
That has the talent to be a backup, but his height could be his downfall... in the NFL, you need to be able to see over your O-lineman. For that reason, someone with the same talent level could get the job over him. I could see him being a starter in the CFL or something...

CDu
04-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Honestly, I could see Thad seeing some real playing time. A.J. Feeley is the "best" veteran on the team, and he's not really that good, having been a career backup. Keith Null was awful last year in his one start (and when Ryan Leaf was your college QB, and Mike Reilly was signed only when Keith Null was forced to start.

When you consider that Bradford comes from a spread offense and cannot take a lot of punishment (look at how he crumpled on those 2 sacks, something which he had rarely been through before last year), you have to wonder what happens if he gets injured. Considering the Rams are in rebuilding mode, Thad will probably get a chance sometime during the regular season to see what he can do.

Thad might prove to be better in the Rams preseason games, but there's no way that he'll start barring injury. The Rams have invested too much into Bradford to let an UDFA start at any point instead of him.

I don't think Lewis will see much of any playing time next year barring several injuries. A rebuilding team that just drafted a franchise QB #1 overall simply can't afford to have an undrafted free agent play ahead of the franchise guy - even if the undrafted guy is better. They'd just go with the veteran mediocre guy and say "we're grooming our franchise guy and protecting him from injury."

Your last paragraph more or less sums up why we won't see Lewis under center much (if at all) for the Rams. The Rams just have too much invested in Bradford to have it appear that an undrafted rookie is performing better.

I think we'll see either Bradford or Feeley next year. Lewis may make the team, but I just can't see him getting any time over Bradford. For one, I wouldn't expect Lewis to beat out Bradford in performance anyway. But even if he did, I don't think the Rams would let it appear that way.

Is it good logic for a team to worry about how things appear? Maybe not. But I fully believe that such things factor in, and because of that I think Lewis won't see the field next year - at least not for the Rams.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-27-2010, 01:31 PM
At best, as an UDFA, I would expect that Thad gets to make the taxi squad. Of course, that's where Matt Moore was before he got his chance with the Panthers a couple of years ago. So you never know how things will turn out. That's why you try. Or play the games. :cool:

CDu
04-27-2010, 01:39 PM
At best, as an UDFA, I would expect that Thad gets to make the taxi squad. Of course, that's where Matt Moore was before he got his chance with the Panthers a couple of years ago. So you never know how things will turn out. That's why you try. Or play the games. :cool:

Yeah, I'd agree with this. Maybe Lewis catches on and gets a look in 2-3 years. But I don't think signing on with the Rams will afford him any sort of look this year.

Of course, as Ozzie notes, given that he was undrafted in the first place (as a QB), it's doubtful he'd get much of a look anywhere. QB is unlike other positions where you can actually play your depth.

DevilWearsPrada
04-27-2010, 01:43 PM
Congratulations to Thad and the other Duke Football players that signed!!!!

CDu
04-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Congratulations to Thad and the other Duke Football players that signed!!!!

Agreed. Good for him, and good for the Duke program. Next step - make some appearances in the draft! But it's a great accomplishment for Lewis and Rey and Big Vince and all the others.

Bob Green
04-27-2010, 04:18 PM
Thad has the talent to be a backup, but his height could be his downfall... in the NFL, you need to be able to see over your O-lineman.

Drew Brees (http://www.nfl.com/players/drewbrees/profile?id=BRE229498) is 6'0".

cspan37421
04-27-2010, 04:32 PM
in the NFL, you need to be able to see over your O-lineman.

So you were good with Wade Phillips' decision to bench Flutie once he got the Bills to the playoffs, in favor of Rob Johnson?

I'm not even a Bills or BC fan, and I am still steamed about that.

kingboozer
04-27-2010, 04:37 PM
i think Thad will have a good career, smart of the Rams to have a backup plan with Bradfords injurys

cspan37421
04-27-2010, 04:40 PM
i think Thad will have a good career, smart of the Rams to have a backup plan with Bradfords injurys

Yeah, the last two times I saw him get hit, he needed surgery. I would not have taken him so high, he seems fragile. If he can't take college hits, well, hope you've got a good line, Mr. Bradford.