PDA

View Full Version : White House Visit

Devilsfan
04-26-2010, 05:21 PM
I haven't heard about the Devils being offered a trip to the White House. Does anyone know if our leader has extended an invitation to honor this group of true "student athletes".

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 05:25 PM
They have been invited I believe, but I don't know when they will visit.

BattierD12
04-26-2010, 05:31 PM
DBP confirmed that Obama called Coach K a day after the championship game and extended an offer for the team to come over. It may take some time, as I think I just heard on ESPN that the Yankees only had lunch with the Prez at the WH yesterday, and they won the World Series months ago. Most likely, the team will go in the middle of summer, or at least before the start of the next academic year.

summerwind03
04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
You know, I got to go the last time, and I can't remember when it was!
June? If anyone finds out the date, please post. Thanks!

David
04-26-2010, 05:59 PM
DBP confirmed that Obama called Coach K a day after the championship game and extended an offer for the team to come over. It may take some time, as I think I just heard on ESPN that the Yankees only had lunch with the Prez at the WH yesterday, and they won the World Series months ago. Most likely, the team will go in the middle of summer, or at least before the start of the next academic year.

The Yankees actually visited the White House today. Duke's visit will come much more quickly. For example, UNC visited on May 11th last year.

CEF1959
04-26-2010, 07:15 PM
The Yankees actually visited the White House today. Duke's visit will come much more quickly. For example, UNC visited on May 11th last year.

But that's just because Roy stomped his feet, threw out a few f-bombs, slammed his eyeglasses on the floor, and then began sobbing.

hedevil
04-26-2010, 07:26 PM
I'm sure Reggie Love is looking forward to the visit. I love the president, but he didn't pick us to make it past the elite 8. Reggie owns some bragging rights.:D

weezie
04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Isn't the visit usually combined with the women's champion? And any other winter sports champs?
I've put in a request for a chance to stand in the Rose Garden with a pretty well-connected Dukie, but haven't heard back from him yet....:o

House G
04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Isn't the visit usually combined with the women's champion? And any other winter sports champs?
I've put in a request for a chance to stand in the Rose Garden with a pretty well-connected Dukie, but haven't heard back from him yet....:o

Lynn Anderson said not to get your hopes up.

NashvilleDevil
04-27-2010, 07:26 AM
I would think that the visit happens soon since Coach K will be getting ready for the Worlds with USA Basketball.

muzikfrk75
04-27-2010, 08:23 PM
I'm sure Reggie Love is looking forward to the visit. I love the president, but he didn't pick us to make it past the elite 8. Reggie owns some bragging rights.:D

Oh you know that Reggie has been talking smack to the Pres....not too much smack though, doesn't want to get fired lol

JG Nothing
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Originally Posted by weezie
I've put in a request for a chance to stand in the Rose Garden with a pretty well-connected Dukie, but haven't heard back from him yet....

Lynn Anderson said not to get your hopes up.

Tammy Wynette said not to give up.

Neals384
05-07-2010, 11:39 AM
From today's Medford Mail Tribune:

"He'll be home until May 27th, and from here Singler will join his teammates for a celebration at the White House."

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100507/SPORTS/5070331

diveonthefloor
05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
Let's hope the "Obama curse" doesn't hit us like the "SI curse" has hit so many.

Personally, if K retires from coaching in the next few years, I wouldn't mind holding up a sign:

K in 2012!
Grant Hill can be his VP candidate,
and Shane his Chief of Staff.

Neals384
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
Let's hope the "Obama curse" doesn't hit us like the "SI curse" has hit so many.

Personally, if K retires from coaching in the next few years, I wouldn't mind holding up a sign:

K in 2012!
Grant Hill can be his VP candidate,
and Shane his Chief of Staff.

And Zoubs for Secretary of the Interior!

Big Pappa
05-07-2010, 12:03 PM

"He'll be home until May 27th, and from here Singler will join his teammates for a celebration at the White House."

Thanks for sharing this. What a great article that shows Kyle's character. Definitely a champion on and off the court.

Devilsfan
05-07-2010, 02:20 PM
Maybe K can give Reggie a Duke Jersey with #1 and his boss a Duke Jersey without a number. I still don't forgive him for picking and visiting the team in chapel hill for his self serving photo opt.

Newton_14
05-07-2010, 03:41 PM

Great article. Thanks for sharing but this really deserves it own thread to insure more people get to see it. You should start a thread and call it "Singler Gives Back" or something like that. A lot of great stuff in that article.

Neals384
05-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Great article. Thanks for sharing but this really deserves it own thread to insure more people get to see it. You should start a thread and call it "Singler Gives Back" or something like that. A lot of great stuff in that article.

New thread started. Thanks.

D.C. Devil
05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
I have it on good authority that the White House visit will be May 27 @ 10 AM

Big Pappa
05-14-2010, 12:42 AM

Elaboration?

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-14-2010, 12:45 AM
Elaboration?

White House on the 27th..... OBAMA the team picked to win it is coming! lol ... I've been there already haha!

According to Nolan it is.

Big Pappa
05-14-2010, 01:13 AM
According to Nolan it is.

Ok thank you. That is so great, I'm really happy for the guys.

DukieInKansas
05-14-2010, 09:34 AM

Is that you, Reggie?

David
05-14-2010, 11:10 AM
Speaking of Reggie, I hope he is front-and-center when the Devils visit the White House. I imagine President Obama will mention him prominently in his remarks about the team.

airowe
05-26-2010, 08:18 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/11789/duke-visiting-the-white-house

Tomorrow morning, the boys are back together again. Wonder if they'll play some pickup on the court out back?

BD80
05-26-2010, 01:38 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/11789/duke-visiting-the-white-house

Tomorrow morning, the boys are back together again. Wonder if they'll play some pickup on the court out back?

If they do can Coach K coached athletes turn off the defensive mindset and allow POTUS to score?

It was an easy thing at last year's visit from the champions.

Frybay
05-26-2010, 01:53 PM
They should give the #0
Anyone who picks ChapelHell College is a BIG ZERO!

Jim3k
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
They should give the #0
Anyone who picks ChapelHell College is a BIG ZERO!

I appreciate the sentiment, but the man also picked Reggie Love as his body man. I think employing a Duke two-sport athlete for about 3-1/2 years counts more than a chalk choice in a bracket. Besides, it was a year ago, and he turned out to be right.

Now, if he chooses the Orange County Community College next year, given that Duke should be the chalk choice in March, I'd be more sympathetic. If he goes with the chalk or goes with Duke as the best choice next March, I think I not only give him a pass, I'd give him jersey No. 1 -- right off Kyrie's back -- with Kyrie's name still on it.

Lord Ash
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
I hope they don't give the President Kyrie's jersey!

sagegrouse
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
I appreciate the sentiment, but the man also picked Reggie Love as his body man. I think employing a Duke two-sport athlete for about 3-1/2 years counts more than a chalk choice in a bracket. Besides, it was a year ago, and he turned out to be right.

Now, if he chooses the Orange County Community College next year, given that Duke should be the chalk choice in March, I'd be more sympathetic. If he goes with the chalk or goes with Duke as the best choice next March, I think I not only give him a pass, I'd give him jersey No. 1 -- right off Kyrie's back -- with Kyrie's name still on it.

The Prez doesn't want to appear "inauthentic," but the political edge is in picking large state universities in swing states (like NC). "Inauthentic" is, for example, if you are a private university grad, and you pick some other school which is no better but politically more advantageous because of its size and location.

Now Obama can have it both ways if, for example, Duke is the obvious favorite next March.

"My assistant Reggie Love insists that it's Duke all the way, and he may be right, but I told him the first day I was going to listen to his advice on everything EXCEPT college basketball. I am going to pick Purdue to win the NCAA championship."
sagegrouse

gumbomoop
05-26-2010, 03:22 PM
The Prez doesn't want to appear "inauthentic," but the political edge is in picking large state universities in swing states (like NC).

"My assistant Reggie Love insists that it's Duke all the way, and he may be right, but I told him the first day I was going to listen to his advice on everything EXCEPT college basketball. I am going to pick Purdue to win the NCAA championship."
sagegrouse

Your analysis is sage. But let's pursue it a bit further, for it's tricky. It's one thing to pick the Heels, uber-chalk in '09, in a state whose denizens are overwhelmingly Heel fans. [Not unanimously, but they sure seem to overwhelm NCSt folks.]

But for POTUS to pick Purdue or MichSt is not so easily a political winner, for IU or UM fans might get irritated. So he and Reggie better get together the Monday after Selection Sunday and find a 2-3 seed that won't get him in trouble. He's going to want to avoid additional voter-anger. [No different from any POTUS in the foreseeable future, in this angry land.]

UK? Not a swing state. Ah, wait, 'Nova? Better, OhioSt? POTUS and Reggie better study real carefully.

JonnyWonder
05-26-2010, 04:02 PM
I think I'm going to this tomorrow. Will post pics/impressions if I do.
They are usually pretty quick affairs, but I'm sure there will be more ribbing than usual given Reggie's presence (esp. since POTUS gave him a hard time after the Georgetown game)

-j

DevilHorns
05-26-2010, 04:08 PM
Your analysis is sage. But let's pursue it a bit further, for it's tricky. It's one thing to pick the Heels, uber-chalk in '09, in a state whose denizens are overwhelmingly Heel fans. [Not unanimously, but they sure seem to overwhelm NCSt folks.]

But for POTUS to pick Purdue or MichSt is not so easily a political winner, for IU or UM fans might get irritated. So he and Reggie better get together the Monday after Selection Sunday and find a 2-3 seed that won't get him in trouble. He's going to want to avoid additional voter-anger. [No different from any POTUS in the foreseeable future, in this angry land.]

UK? Not a swing state. Ah, wait, 'Nova? Better, OhioSt? POTUS and Reggie better study real carefully.

It would be hilarious if he picks UK and they get caught with shady recruiting practices and other allegations.

Is the POTUS officially a light blue fan? I think I remember reading about it somewhere last year....

sagegrouse
05-26-2010, 04:09 PM

But for POTUS to pick Purdue or MichSt is not so easily a political winner, for IU or UM fans might get irritated.

Nah. Few fans would expect anyone to pick their team, given that there are 68 in the tournament. If Purdue or MSU is a #1 or #2 seed, it's a safe pick politically. IU is in the cellar these days, and Michigan is not contending for anything.

sagegrouse

diablesseblu
05-26-2010, 04:37 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blog/5192119/#blogpost_id_7671272

I know that I'll be watching. Should be great fun!

gumbomoop
05-26-2010, 04:39 PM
Nah. Few fans would expect anyone to pick their team, given that there are 68 in the tournament. If Purdue or MSU is a #1 or #2 seed, it's a safe pick politically. IU is in the cellar these days, and Michigan is not contending for anything.

sagegrouse

Your sageness is too good. You're right, I'm wrong. Mostly. But wouldn't Ohio St, as, say, a 2-seed, be real smart politically? Swing state par excellence? POTUS O probably couldn't win Cincy vote anyhow, so no danger there. Or maybe he could pick Ohio St to escape an inspired Dayton team in 2d round, then go on to win NC.

Semi-sage?

sagegrouse
05-26-2010, 05:36 PM
But wouldn't Ohio St, as, say, a 2-seed, be real smart politically? Swing state par excellence? POTUS O probably couldn't win Cincy vote anyhow, so no danger there. Or maybe he could pick Ohio St to escape an inspired Dayton team in 2d round, then go on to win NC.

Semi-sage?

Ohio State is super smart. I am not saying politics determines the exact pick, but that the political filter will quell any enthusiasm by the President for small private schools (except Notre Dame) or state universities from states at the political extreme (no Bama or Ole Miss, but OK for UFla).

sagegrouse

diesel
05-27-2010, 07:47 AM
At the White House ceremony this morning, when POTUS gets a free jersey, Reggie should get one too. The number? US 007!
Quick! Do I have to think of everything?

SCMatt33
05-27-2010, 10:38 AM
Duke at the White House now. Woohoo. WRAL coverage here. (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/7678549/)

sivartrenrag
05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Streaming at whitehouse.gov, also.

OldPhiKap
05-27-2010, 10:58 AM
Duke at the White House now. Woohoo. WRAL coverage here. (http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/7678549/)

Watching that was time well-spent.

And, no, I don't think POTUS will make the same mistake next year.

summerwind03
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Neat. What did he say about Zoubek? I couldn't hear that.

sivartrenrag
05-27-2010, 10:59 AM
Did anyone make out what K said after Obama's little jab where he said something like 'very subtle, Coach K?'

SCMatt33
05-27-2010, 11:00 AM
So the prez got Kyrie's jersey, but that's ok, it will remind him who's number 1! He also got one of the pieces of the court with the bracket on it, just to remind him of how his should have looked.

duke79
05-27-2010, 11:01 AM
Thanks for the link. Nice ceremony honoring the team. The President DOES know how to give a good speech, even in an informal setting like today's.

CameronBlue
05-27-2010, 11:03 AM
Neat. What did he say about Zoubek? I couldn't hear that.

Ist player in Duke history that Coach K allowed to grow a beard...or words to that effect. He then briefly mentioned Zoubs struggles with injuries through his underclassmen years rising to those challenges to be a critical contributor pulling down key rebounds in this year's tourney...again words to that effect.

summerwind03
05-27-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks CameronBlue. It was a nice speech, you could definitely tell some research went into it.

-bdbd
05-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Missed it. :(
If anyone catches a link of the video replay, please post it here.
Thx.

Newton_14
05-27-2010, 11:20 AM
Missed it. :(
If anyone catches a link of the video replay, please post it here.
Thx.

You can view it here:
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/

BoozerWasFouled
05-27-2010, 11:38 AM
You can view it here:
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/

I'm clicking this and only getting the stream that is already concluded. Am I looking in the wrong place?

BoozerWasFouled
05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Here is the archived video

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/7679213/

JonnyWonder
05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Just got back from this event. Since you can watch it online, I'll give you some on the ground impressions.

-It was hot as hell. Fitting for the Devils, but I felt bad for the players having to stand up there. Actually, I don't know why I felt bad for them, we were all wearing suits and had to stand outside waiting for 30 minutes before they let us in the Rose Garden!

-It was great to see all the high-level Duke affiliated people who came out. Judy Woodruff and David Gergen were there, Rep. Price, Mayor Bell, President Broadhead, Kristina Johnson (former Pratt Dean, current U/S of Energy).

-Reggie got a great round of applause when he came out to put the President's speech on the podium

-The President, Mrs. K and Coach were all hanging out in the Oval Office prior to making their appearance, as is custom. To be a fly on that wall...

-The President's best line was the "real subtle coach" after he paraphrased the "fist" concept. Obama has pretty good comic timing.

-The President got a jersey, plus one of the pieces of the floor with the tournament bracket engraved on it from Coach K.

I will post pics tonight when I get home from work!

Highlander
05-27-2010, 12:12 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100527/ap_on_sp_ot/us_obama_duke

AZLA
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
Coach K was looking Presidential.

Vincetaylor
05-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Great video. The fist comment was great. Kyle needs to get a suit though. Ha.

blazindw
05-27-2010, 01:44 PM
Just got back from this event. Since you can watch it online, I'll give you some on the ground impressions.

-It was hot as hell. Fitting for the Devils, but I felt bad for the players having to stand up there. Actually, I don't know why I felt bad for them, we were all wearing suits and had to stand outside waiting for 30 minutes before they let us in the Rose Garden!

-It was great to see all the high-level Duke affiliated people who came out. Judy Woodruff and David Gergen were there, Rep. Price, Mayor Bell, President Broadhead, Kristina Johnson (former Pratt Dean, current U/S of Energy).

-Reggie got a great round of applause when he came out to put the President's speech on the podium

-The President, Mrs. K and Coach were all hanging out in the Oval Office prior to making their appearance, as is custom. To be a fly on that wall...

-The President's best line was the "real subtle coach" after he paraphrased the "fist" concept. Obama has pretty good comic timing.

-The President got a jersey, plus one of the pieces of the floor with the tournament bracket engraved on it from Coach K.

I will post pics tonight when I get home from work!

I was there as well...amazing day! I echo everything you said, including how hot it was (I actually stuck around afterwards to get some pictures of the U.S. World Cup team as they made their way to the bus, and I lost about 5 pounds in sweat), but it really was awesome. And I was in THE front row. Can't get any better than that!

Here's my FB public page for the photos I took there. Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2203849&id=1300435&l=033fbf06ba

SupaDave
05-27-2010, 02:02 PM
The speech!!!

For Immediate Release May 27, 2010

REMARKS BY THE PRESIDENT
IN HONOR OF THE 2010 NCAA MEN’S BASKETBALL CHAMPION
DUKE BLUE DEVILS

Rose Garden

10:46 A.M. EDT

THE PRESIDENT: Hello, everybody. Please have a seat. Welcome to the White House. Welcome to the Rose Garden. You know, when I woke up this morning and I saw a few hundred students camping out on my lawn -- (laughter) -- I remembered that today is Duke day. (Laughter.) Congratulations to the 2010 Men’s NCAA Basketball National Champions: the Bluke -- (laughter) -- the Duke Blue Devils. Give them a big round of applause. (Applause.)

We’ve got some big Duke fans here today. My outstanding Secretary of Veterans Affairs, Ric Shinseki, is here. He got a graduate degree from Duke, and both he and Coach K are proud graduates of West Point. They missed each other by one year.

We’ve got some members of the North Carolina congressional delegation who are here. We’ve also got some proud Duke alumni serving in Congress. Representative Shelly Moore Capito is a alum. Representative David Price has been a professor at Duke since 1973. And Under Secretary of Energy, Dr. Kristina Johnson, is here, and she was the dean of the Pratt School of Engineering at Duke for eight years. So you can give them all a big round of applause. (Applause.)

The Archivist of the United States, David Ferriero is here. And he once ran the Duke library system; today, he takes care of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence. (Laughter.) North Carolina Attorney General Roy Cooper and Durham Mayor Bill Bell are here as well. Give them a big round of applause. (Applause.)

Now, I know that all of you remember last year, when I filled out my bracket -- (laughter) -- I picked North Carolina to win it all. It wasn’t anything personal. (Laughter.) Just trying to win some money. (Laughter.) I was right. Coach K wasn’t too happy. He basically told me to stick it. (Laughter.) Or stick to my day job, is what he said. (Laughter.)

And then, this year, he went out with all these guys and he won, so he could come to the White House and crow about it. (Laughter.) Payback is sweet, isn’t it, Coach? Congratulations on your fourth National Championship at Duke. (Applause.)

Obviously it’s not a smart thing to bet against Coach K. This is a guy who has 868 wins; 12 ACC championships; 11 Final Fours; four NCAA championships; a couple of Olympic gold medals for men’s basketball, including in 2008, when he brought the gold back to where it belongs –- the USA. And congratulations to Coach K’s lovely wife, Mickie -– Mrs. K –- who’s been with him for all of it. So we are very grateful to them. (Applause.)

Now, some of you may know that my assistant, Reggie Love -- (laughter) -- used to play for Coach K at Duke. Reggie played on the 2001 National Championship team, and he was a team captain in 2005. In fact, Reggie was so excited to see his old coach today that I had to make him come out and run some sprint drills -- (laughter) -- just to calm him down.

And then Coach and I were both discussing -- I play with Reggie now, and when Reggie was playing, Coach said, don't shoot. (Laughter.) And when he’s on my team, I say to Reggie, don't shoot. (Laughter.) So things haven’t changed that much. (Laughter.) Go down in the post, rebound. (Laughter.)

I also want to congratulate the assistant coaches –- Chris Collins, Nate James, and Steve Wojciechowski –- I’ll just call him “Wojo” like everybody else –- all of whom were once captains on Coach K’s teams, as well.

And congratulations to all the players, especially the seniors, Jordan Davidson, Jon Scheyer -- my homeboy from the Chicago area -- (applause) -- Lance Thomas and Brian Zoubek. It’s really been a four-year journey for these guys. And each year, they’ve gotten better together. When they were freshmen, they lost in the first round of the tournament. As sophomores, they made it to the second round. As juniors, they made it to the Sweet 16. And this year, they won it all. That’s the kind of progress that you want to see in your college career. (Applause.)

Jon Scheyer, Kyle Singler, and Nolan Smith were the top-scoring trio in the NCAA this year. And I should also mention that when I was running for President, we did a campaign event in Medford, Oregon, in the gym where Singler grew up. So I was the second-most famous person to ever show up in Medford. (Laughter.) It’s true. (Applause.)

I understand that Zoubek is unique in Duke history: the only player that Coach K ever allowed to grow a beard. (Laughter.) Talk about somebody who’s overcome a lot, who powered through setbacks and injuries, to set a new Duke record for most offensive rebounds in a single season this year, including some critical boards in the title game.

And it was, as everybody here knows, an incredible tournament from start to finish -- one of the most exciting tournaments any of us have ever seen. The championship game against Butler -– the most-watched championship game in more than 10 years –- was everything fans hoped it would be. It came down to the final possession. And these guys hung in there and won it all.

I know that Coach K has said that this is as close a team as he’s ever had -- a bunch of throwback guys who hustle and work and have fun together. And they play by his -- one of his philosophies, which is “think of a hand.” If you attach -- if you attack with your hand open, as five fingers individually, you’re more likely to break a finger. But if you bring them together and make a fist, you can pound really somebody. (Laughter.) It’s very subtle, Coach K. (Laughter.)

Now, there is a softer side of these guys, too. Coach K is an integral part of the Durham community in so many ways -– whether it’s helping change the odds for underprivileged kids through the Emily K Center he founded and named after his mom, or just buying pizza for the Cameron Crazies who camp outside for days at a time. His players participate in the Read With the Blue Devils program and visit patients at the Children’s Hospital in Durham, giving as much as they can to the Duke community that gives so much to them.

And seeing as how Coach is a proud graduate of West Point, and a former Army basketball player under Bobby Knight, they’re going to the Pentagon after this to thank some of the folks who bravely and selflessly serve our country day in and day out. (Applause.)

So, congratulations, Coach K. Congratulations to the team. And good luck next year. I suspect that you’re going to try to bust my bracket once again. (Laughter.) But I may not make the same mistake twice. (Laughter and applause.)

(A Duke jersey is presented as a gift.)

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, look at this. That’s nice! You know Reggie is going to make me hang this in the Oval Office. Take down Lincoln or something. (Laughter.)

END 10:57 A.M. EDT

ElSid
05-27-2010, 02:04 PM

I was just going to make this comment.

Kyle has some serious doofus tendencies but I love it. Makes that fact that he's a monster on the court more enjoyable. Like a Clark Kent persona.

weezie
05-27-2010, 04:14 PM
And I was in THE front row. Can't get any better than that!

Excellent! I'm delighted for you blazin'! My connection didn't pan out, unfortunately, but I'm glad Duke had a True Blue fan there!

CoBlueDevil
05-27-2010, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the pics blazin, they definitely look great. You really were right up in the front. Congrats.

Billy Dat
05-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Forget the suit Kyle....you are repping true West Coast casual style!

I just read the transcript and it made me well up...I am not usually this kind of sap....there is just something about this team and what they were able to accomplish this year...."just be you...you is enough"..."you are a great team".

JonnyWonder
05-27-2010, 06:49 PM
I was there as well...amazing day! I echo everything you said, including how hot it was (I actually stuck around afterwards to get some pictures of the U.S. World Cup team as they made their way to the bus, and I lost about 5 pounds in sweat), but it really was awesome. And I was in THE front row. Can't get any better than that!

Great pics! Thanks for posting.

JonnyWonder
05-27-2010, 07:20 PM
A few more pics (http://picasaweb.google.com/jon.morris/GODUKE#)

MarkD83
05-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Great pictures. Who is the guy between Kyle and Nolan in picture 43? He is about Nolan's height so he must be another guard that Duke is recruiting. :)

dukelifer
05-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Great pictures. Who is the guy between Kyle and Nolan in picture 43? He is about Nolan's height so he must be another guard that Duke is recruiting. :)
I doubt Duke will get him. He probably wants a promise of playing time.

MarkD83
05-27-2010, 09:49 PM
I doubt Duke will get him. He probably wants a promise of playing time.

Yes but at least he will stay for 4 years (perhaps 8 if you let him).

BigZ
05-28-2010, 02:06 AM
What in the world was Singler wearing?

jdj4duke
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
What in the world was Singler wearing?

As long as he has a Duke jersey underneath, he looks great.

GLTBD
05-28-2010, 10:43 AM
Miles shaved the beard:eek:

ElSid
05-28-2010, 11:23 AM
As long as he has a Duke jersey underneath, he looks great.

Singler's outfit was worse than I thought. A pinstripe suit jacket paired with wrinkled gap khakis. Shirt and tie didn't really match or blend. I know it's considered manly in some circles not to care about this type of thing, but it's the White House! Historic. Oh well. Pretty funny.

airowe
05-28-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/NCAA-Tournament/DC-Welcomes-the-Champs/DSC6880/881351344_KE25f-L.jpg

ABeard to ZBeard

OldPhiKap
05-28-2010, 01:08 PM
^^ Great picture of two contrasting figures. One fought fearlessly for all that is good, honest, and worthwhile and he helped lead his followers to the Promised Land. The other guy, I think, was president a long time ago or something.

SCMatt33
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/NCAA-Tournament/DC-Welcomes-the-Champs/DSC6880/881351344_KE25f-L.jpg

ABeard to ZBeard

I saw that picture on Blue Planet and rushed to come here and post it. Glad to see that it was already taken care of.

I'm guessing Miles shaved the beard because that first one was just practice. It takes effort and dedication to get the beard just right!

Duvall
05-28-2010, 03:42 PM
^^ Great picture of two contrasting figures. One fought fearlessly for all that is good, honest, and worthwhile and he helped lead his followers to the Promised Land. The other guy, I think, was president a long time ago or something.

Well okay then.

Indoor66
05-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Singler's outfit was worse than I thought. A pinstripe suit jacket paired with wrinkled gap khakis. Shirt and tie didn't really match or blend. I know it's considered manly in some circles not to care about this type of thing, but it's the White House! Historic. Oh well. Pretty funny.

Well, the President often doesn't wear a tie in the Oval Office (from the pictures I've seen published).

moonpie23
05-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Well, the President often doesn't wear a tie in the Oval Office (from the pictures I've seen published).

NEcktie = soooooo last century.....

;)

diveonthefloor
05-29-2010, 12:18 PM
K was the most presidential looking one on the podium.

Big Pappa
05-29-2010, 07:28 PM
I was just going to make this comment.

Kyle has some serious doofus tendencies but I love it. Makes that fact that he's a monster on the court more enjoyable. Like a Clark Kent persona.

Good comparison. He looks hilarious in his glasses, slacks, and Sperry's. It looks like he also has glasses on and is the only one who doesn't have his jacket buttoned. I love it.

Newton_14
05-30-2010, 10:23 PM
Good comparison. He looks hilarious in his glasses, slacks, and Sperry's. It looks like he also has glasses on and is the only one who doesn't have his jacket buttoned. I love it.

He had the same kind of look the day after the title game at the celebration in CIS. He had on the spec's, no hat, and he had that whole Clark Kent nerdy look going. He even looked small, thin, and kind of gangely like.

But when he steps on the court he looks like a chiseled warrior who will destroy you.

We also have to deduct style points from Mason. Everyone had on a dark suit or jacket except Mason who was in a light colored suit. That sort of looked out of place as well.

DukieInKansas
06-03-2010, 02:36 PM

He wasn't the only one in a blue blazer and khakis (not that there is anything wrong with that - at least he/they had on shoes and not flip flops):
http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/2009-10/NCAA-Tournament/DC-Welcomes-the-Champs/DSC6895/881385312_cBcsY-M.jpg