PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Adams to Georgetown

Pages : [1] 2 3

lilblue
04-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Just read this on another board! Can anyone confirm?

Greg_Newton
04-25-2010, 11:18 PM
A guy on TDD who has been in the know on a few things in the past is claiming that Adams just committed to Duke. There is also a new thread on the premium board titled "Tyler Adams!!" Coincidence? I'd guess not.

I don't have any inside info on Adams, but it sure seems like it's a done deal.

If so, welcome to Duke!

uh_no
04-25-2010, 11:20 PM
a 6'8 center is a hard sell.....especially when our PG last year was 5'6

Duvall
04-25-2010, 11:23 PM

You're right, Duke could never win anything with a 6'8" widebody.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-25-2010, 11:34 PM
I hope it's true, if so Welcome to DUKE Tyler Adams.

hedevil
04-25-2010, 11:44 PM
Welcome to DUKE........if??

lilblue
04-25-2010, 11:45 PM

I can think of 3 players at 6'9 that did pretty well for Duke. This kid is still in high school, he has time to grow.:D

airowe
04-25-2010, 11:47 PM
He's ours. He got swept off his feet by Nate-Dogg and then K sealed it earlier this week.

Tyler Adams is Duke's next big man.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-25-2010, 11:48 PM
Yep, just read more on the tdd board and it's official. Nice. Hopefully AR and QM follow.

sivartrenrag
04-25-2010, 11:49 PM
I can think of 3 players at 6'9 that did pretty well for Duke. This kid is still in high school, he has time to grow.:D

FWIW, I've seen him listed as 6'9, 265 in a few places.

:D:D:D

baby-face dawkins
Yep was just confirmed via facebook, Tyler Adams is officially coming to Duke!:D

BD80
That's why we have such a short "big man" coach, to make our post players look bigger.

Z was actually only 6'5"

I hope this info is accurate, GREAT NEWS !!!!!

Stylez025
04-25-2010, 11:52 PM
http://www.duke.rivals.com/

Front page. Tyler Adams chooses Duke

OZZIE4DUKE
04-26-2010, 12:01 AM
.especially when our PG last year was 5'6
I assume you meant to type 6'5" and not 5'6". :)

Welcome to the family, Tyler! We're thrilled you're joining us!

Highlander
04-26-2010, 12:06 AM

Elton Brand was listed at 6'8" while at Duke, and Carlos Boozer was only an inch taller at 6'9". As for a 5'6" point guard, I have no idea where you got that one.

2008-09 Roster
Name & Height
Olek Czyz 6–7
Jordan Davidson 6–1
Gerald Henderson, Jr. 6–4
Steve Johnson 6–5
David McClure 6–6
Greg Paulus 6–1
Miles Plumlee 6–10
Martynas Pocius 6–5
Jon Scheyer 6–5
Kyle Singler 6–8
Nolan Smith 6–2
Lance Thomas 6–8
Elliot Williams 6–4
Brian Zoubek 7–1

FireOgilvie
04-26-2010, 12:08 AM

Finally someone with GIRTH.

He's a meaty dude... that's why they call him "Double Down" Adams...

...and by "they," I mean me.

airowe
04-26-2010, 12:13 AM

I have as well. And he has barely stepped foot in the weight room. You better believe Nate will have that boy working.

Dukeknights
04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
omg...watch out. Here we come, again. K is loading up.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 12:20 AM
Elton Brand was listed at 6'8" while at Duke, and Carlos Boozer was only an inch taller at 6'9". As for a 5'6" point guard, I have no idea where you got that one.

2008-09 Roster
Name & Height
Olek Czyz 6–7
Jordan Davidson 6–1
Gerald Henderson, Jr. 6–4
Steve Johnson 6–5
David McClure 6–6
Greg Paulus 6–1
Miles Plumlee 6–10
Martynas Pocius 6–5
Jon Scheyer 6–5
Kyle Singler 6–8
Nolan Smith 6–2
Lance Thomas 6–8
Elliot Williams 6–4
Brian Zoubek 7–1

I'm pretty sure he was joking. And why did you post the 08-09 roster?

somf4eva
04-26-2010, 12:24 AM

omg i just laughed so hard.

Welcome to Duke Tyler Adams!

Big Pappa
04-26-2010, 12:50 AM

Great post, that has to stick!

baby-face dawkins
04-26-2010, 12:59 AM
Great post, that has to stick!

I agree, IMO "Double Down" is the only proper name for our new addition

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 01:51 AM
This is a great addition to what looks to be the beginning of an excellent recruiting class!

Does anybody know when espnu updates their 2011 recruiting ranks to 100? I would love to see where (if) they rank Tyler Adams.

Also, does anybody have any video? Never really seen this kid play but have heard great things.

bluedevil2012
04-26-2010, 02:35 AM
Welcome to Duke Tyler!

Starter
04-26-2010, 06:11 AM
Just checking... has anyone actually seen Adams play? I recall Quincy Miller calling him "a beast," which is a nice endorsement -- especially if it gets Quincy to come to Duke -- but I've been unable to find any video of him. (Every time I search, it turns up videos of Tyler Hansbrough, so I gave up) I keep hearing that he's got an Elton Brand/Carlos Boozer type of body -- but those were both unequivocal 5-star players and highly skilled top 10 recruits while Adams is a 3-star ranked in the 80's. I'm sure that ranking will go up with his commit... Any insight here? He's enormous, so there's a lot to work with, I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a conception of what his game is like. I mean, Michael Thompson was 6-10, 255. I'm just hoping Adams is more Boozer than Thompson.

JohnGalt
04-26-2010, 06:14 AM
From what i understand he is the second prospect to have been courted and now signed by Nate that isn't super, uber highly regard...Carrick being the other.

I for one am very interested to see the development of these two players over the course of the next few years as they both could prove to be a serious insight into the recruiting acumen of Nate James.

I mean, he obviously sold K.

Cisco
04-26-2010, 06:31 AM
6-9, 255 lbs per Espn.com

Is anybody an ESPN insider that can post his bio on here??

They dont let you see the prospect's evaluation anymore.
Copy and paste on the board?

Bob Green
04-26-2010, 07:00 AM
-- but I've been unable to find any video of him.

http://www.my601.com/content/sports/story/tyler-adams-duke/TEud0_NhS0WEgLJdqsPNrw.cspx

Saratoga2
04-26-2010, 08:12 AM
With Singler and Smith leaving and Gbinije and now Adams coming, it sounds like we already have a full roster. Perhaps the coaches have an idea that others may elect for the early NBA draft, although the season may not materialize. These two new recruits give us athleticism and toughness.

Where do we go from here? Rivers? Miller? Marshall Plumlee? I suppose it depends on whether the coaches see anyone else leaving and who those players might be.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2010, 08:13 AM
http://www.my601.com/content/sports/story/tyler-adams-duke/TEud0_NhS0WEgLJdqsPNrw.cspx

He has a ridiculous wing span. I see D. Blair written all over him. Looks like a really fun player to have.

2011 recruiting:

PG - maybe
SG - to come
SF - check
PF - to come
C - check

(i know, i know... we're probably not recruiting a full team, but it's fun to map out our recruiting)

-jk
04-26-2010, 08:17 AM

Please don't ask people to post copyrighted material.

-jk

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 08:17 AM
With Singler and Smith leaving and Gbinije and now Adams coming, it sounds like we already have a full roster. Perhaps the coaches have an idea that others may elect for the early NBA draft, although the season may not materialize. These two new recruits give us athleticism and toughness.

Where do we go from here? Rivers? Miller? Marshall Plumlee? I suppose it depends on whether the coaches see anyone else leaving and who those players might be.

I dont think that the Duke coaching staff sees it that. I believe that they know that they have 2 more scholarships available and are gonna try to use those 2 scholarships to get the best players they can no matter what position they play. Those 2 players that they are hoping for are Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller, both would be great additions to the Duke squad and no matter who, if anybody declares for the draft, I highly doubt the coaching staff would find any trouble getting everybody playing time who has earned it.

BD80
04-26-2010, 08:18 AM
Some team in really ugly blue stole the championship trophy last year with a Ty and two Tylers.

We win this year led by KY, with Ryan on the bench.

Next year, KY and Ry are joined by Kyrie and Ty.

The following year we add Tyler.

Y oh Y are there so many Ys?

Was Tyler the most popular name of newborns around 1980? - or in 1970, when Hansbrough was born?

duke1983
04-26-2010, 08:22 AM
Great pick up for Duke, bruiser/rebounder with a soft touch around the basket. Will prob. stick around for 4 years and establish a post presence for Duke along with the Plumlees.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2010, 08:24 AM
Was Tyler the most popular name of newborns around 1980? - or in 1970, when Hansbrough was born?

Hahaha. But Oden makes Hansbrough look like a 12 year old.

airowe
04-26-2010, 08:25 AM
Just checking... has anyone actually seen Adams play?

Starter, I've seen four or five of Tyler's scouting videos (not highlight reel stuff, but different aspects of his game) and he's a very well-rounded player. At 6'9" 260, he has barely even stepped foot in a weight room so you can imagine what some Nate James motivation will do for him there.

He prefers to play down low and considers himself a back-to-the-basket banger who likes to do all the little things and mix it up down low. His game is mainly below the rim but he does rebound very well and creates a lot of space with his wide frame. Not the best rebounder in traffic, but I did see him tracking down some loose balls and finishing from 6-7 feet out through contact. He's a big dude and he knows how to use his body. I think it would do him well to learn a go-to post move.

Overall, we got a solid player with a ton of untapped potential who is willing to mix it up down low and do the little things it takes to win. I think we had a guy like that on our team this year ;)

BD80
04-26-2010, 08:29 AM

Please don't ask people to post copyrighted material.

-jk

Biographical facts are not protected under copyright law.

Player evaluations and interviews are protected.

"News" about players is generally not protected under copyright law, but subscribers to "premium" sites may be liable under contract law. DBR discourages posters from revealing "premium" info - unless that premium info is about unc losing a recruiting battle.

(OK, I made that last part up)

Daniel tosh
04-26-2010, 08:29 AM
We;come to DUKE Tyler!

sagegrouse
04-26-2010, 08:46 AM

"News" about players is generally not protected under copyright law, but subscribers to "premium" sites may be liable under contract law. DBR discourages posters from revealing "premium" info - unless that premium info is about unc losing a recruiting battle.

Off-season is a good time to discuss the "Fair Use Doctrine," which enables the public discussion of copyrighted material for a variety of purposes.

Here's a start, lifted (without permission ;) ) from copyright.gov:

"Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered fair, such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:

The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes
The nature of the copyrighted work
The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole
The effect of the use upon the potential market for, or value of, the copyrighted work
"The distinction between fair use and infringement may be unclear and not easily defined. There is no specific number of words, lines, or notes that may safely be taken without permission.

"Acknowledging the source of the copyrighted material does not substitute for obtaining permission."

sagegrouse

NSDukeFan
04-26-2010, 08:52 AM

I dont think that the Duke coaching staff sees it that. I believe that they know that they have 2 more scholarships available and are gonna try to use those 2 scholarships to get the best players they can no matter what position they play. Those 2 players that they are hoping for are Austin Rivers and Quincy Miller, both would be great additions to the Duke squad and no matter who, if anybody declares for the draft, I highly doubt the coaching staff would find any trouble getting everybody playing time who has earned it.

I think Saratoga2 makes a valid point. Yes, there are at least 2 more scholarships available, but coach K has not always (ever?) chosen to use all available scholarships in the past. Unless the staff knows someone is going, that rules out all of Miller, Rivers and Plumthree signing early. I am sure they know what they are doing, however, and know who they have the best chances of landing. It certainly would be a challenge to find playing time for 13 scholarship players, if that were to occur. The flip-side to his recruiting is that it appears coach K has a solid nucleus of players likely to be with the program for 3-4 years to offer continuity in Kelly, Thornton, Hairston, Gbinje, Adams. Very solid base for the future.
Of course the most important message I want to get across however is welcome to Tyler. Thanks BobGreen for the video posted, and Airowe for the first-hand account of his game. I look forward to cheering for him as a Duke player.

CDu
04-26-2010, 08:56 AM
I think Saratoga2 makes a valid point. Yes, there are at least 2 more scholarships available, but coach K has not always (ever?) chosen to use all available scholarships in the past. Unless the staff knows someone is going, that rules out all of Miller, Rivers and Plumthree signing early. I am sure they know what they are doing, however, and know who they have the best chances of landing. It certainly would be a challenge to find playing time for 13 scholarship players, if that were to occur. The flip-side to his recruiting is that it appears coach K has a solid nucleus of players likely to be with the program for 3-4 years to offer continuity in Kelly, Thornton, Hairston, Gbinje, Adams. Very solid base for the future.
Of course the most important message I want to get across however is welcome to Tyler. Thanks BobGreen for the video posted, and Airowe for the first-hand account of his game. I look forward to cheering for him as a Duke player.

Based solely on what I've read on these boards and on where Rivers is rated, I don't think I'd rule out us taking an early commitment from Rivers. Especially since Rivers seems to be saying he wants to make a decision before the fall.

Duke has not typically pushed to the scholarship limit. But we've also not turned down elite prospects due to a proximity to the scholarship limit, either.

CPDUKEGUY24
04-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Welcome to Duke Mr. Adams, great to have you on board.

NSDukeFan
04-26-2010, 09:04 AM
Based solely on what I've read on these boards and on where Rivers is rated, I don't think I'd rule out us taking an early commitment from Rivers. Especially since Rivers seems to be saying he wants to make a decision before the fall.

Duke has not typically pushed to the scholarship limit. But we've also not turned down elite prospects due to a proximity to the scholarship limit, either.

Sorry for my lack of clarity. I definitely expect Duke to continue pursuing Rivers and Miller, I just figured we would not be able to sign 3 more players early, which is of course fine. A bird in hand and everything. I am still very much hoping for an early commitment from Rivers, along with most everyone else on this board.

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 09:05 AM

Duke isn't just gonna rule out the 2nd best player in the nation for signing early with 2 scholarships left, or 7th best for that matter (quincy miller)...If they want to sign with Duke early, I am pretty sure Duke will be salivating at the mouth with pen and paper outreached eagerly. Finding palying time for all 13 players is pretty muich impossible for a college team...You can probably eliminate Thornton from a lot of minutes. Possibly Kelly too, and a decrease for Miles>.Not that many for Ty. Adams since hes more of a project and needs some post moves. Decrease in Miles Plumlee as Mason might be moved to C. That gives us about a 8 or 9 man rotation which is exactly where we like our rotation to be.
Of course, it doesnt have to be these players as some might develop and earn the playing time but bottom line is, if you can play, then u will get playing time but if you just arent as skilled as the others, you probably will sit on the bench and those are my projected players that wont get much playing time if we do get both Rivers and Miller.

But all that is pure speculation, Coach K will figure it out, like he always does.

Billy Dat
04-26-2010, 09:11 AM
This signing feels like K grew, over the course of this season, to like the idea of big bodies running around, setting screens and offensive rebounding and not thinking too much about scoring. Makes sense, it led to a title. Welcome to Duke, Mr. Adams.

NSDukeFan
04-26-2010, 09:13 AM
Duke isn't just gonna rule out the 2nd best player in the nation for signing early with 2 scholarships left, or 7th best for that matter (quincy miller)...If they want to sign with Duke early, I am pretty sure Duke will be salivating at the mouth with pen and paper outreached eagerly. Finding palying time for all 13 players is pretty muich impossible for a college team...You can probably eliminate Thornton from a lot of minutes. Possibly Kelly too, and a decrease for Miles>.Not that many for Ty. Adams since hes more of a project and needs some post moves. Decrease in Miles Plumlee as Mason might be moved to C. That gives us about a 8 or 9 man rotation which is exactly where we like our rotation to be.
Of course, it doesnt have to be these players as some might develop and earn the playing time but bottom line is, if you can play, then u will get playing time but if you just arent as skilled as the others, you probably will sit on the bench and those are my projected players that wont get much playing time if we do get both Rivers and Miller.

But all that is pure speculation, Coach K will figure it out, like he always does.

I'm not at all disagreeing with you, just that it is a valid point that it is quite a challenge to get playing time for 12-13 very good players, which is why coach K usually has not filled all his scholarships with recruits. I have no doubt that everyone at Duke (and I feel the same) would be ecstatic to have Austin and/or Q.

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm not at all disagreeing with you, just that it is a valid point that it is quite a challenge to get playing time for 12-13 very good players, which is why coach K usually has not filled all his scholarships with recruits. I have no doubt that everyone at Duke (and I feel the same) would be ecstatic to have Austin and/or Q.

Well I'm sure he could make one little exception for 2011:)

BD80
04-26-2010, 09:35 AM
Could this mean that a perception exists that Duke can develop big men?

Maybe adding Nate to the staff has made a difference, of maybe it was the attention Wojo's work with Z and Lance received because of the NC and the "turnaround" once Z was inserted into the starting line-up. I don't care.

A young man like Tyler can really solidify our reputation for big men. He is not very highly ranked right now (bound to change, if nothing else because he is a Duke commit) and over his tenure at Duke could become a force in college basketball.

It is funny how quickly perceptions can change, we had a run where we were expected to have dominant big men (Brand, Boozer, Williams), and then a streak of being soft, primarily because we missed on a couple of key targets (Patterson, Monroe). Were we "saved" by Z, a guy that we were trying to recruit over? Do we now have our big man mojo back?

gwlaw99
04-26-2010, 10:12 AM

Who is teaching our big men low post footwork/offensive moves? I know Wojo does a great job teaching rebounding, defense, and intensity.

SupaDave
04-26-2010, 10:22 AM
Who is teaching our big men low post footwork/offensive moves? I know Wojo does a great job teaching rebounding, defense, and intensity.

So you think Wojo can teach rebounding but not footwork? SMH...

cspan37421
04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
With Singler and Smith leaving .

Um... I think you meant "staying"

Be careful out there. Some of us might have heart conditions, you know.

cspan37421
04-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Maybe adding Nate to the staff has made a difference, of maybe it was the attention Wojo's work with Z and Lance received because of the NC and the "turnaround" once Z was inserted into the starting line-up. I don't care.

... Do we now have our big man mojo back?

Duke's big men have Wojo Mojo. I like it.

Duvall
04-26-2010, 10:27 AM

No, he's just talking about 2012, when Smith and Singler should have graduated.

CDu
04-26-2010, 10:30 AM

Nope, the poster meant "leaving." Both will have finished their four years of eligibility and will be leaving Duke for new challenges by the time Rivers/Adams/Gbinije/Miller will (or would potentially) be arriving for the 2011-2012.

A-Tex Devil
04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
As someone else mentioned, I'd love for this guy to have a DeJuan Blair type game. A big body that has a non-stop motor, and is all over the place getting boards. I haven't watched the tape, just seen it in the measurements.

roywhite
04-26-2010, 11:03 AM
Man, I hope someone is watching the store at USA Basketball and putting some time into prep for the World Championships this summer.

Clearly, Coach K has been concentrating on his job with Duke and recruiting these young kids. :)

JohnGalt
04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
As someone else mentioned, I'd love for this guy to have a DeJuan Blair type game. A big body that has a non-stop motor, and is all over the place getting boards. I haven't watched the tape, just seen it in the measurements.

The only problem with this and other posts I've seen comparing him (or wishing he were comparable, perhaps) to Blair is it says pretty repetitively in the various analyses that his athletic ability is, while above average, not superior. Likewise, Airowe and some of the others mentioned he isn't a strong 'traffic rebounder,' another area in which Blair not only excelled, but made a name for himself.

Regardless, I'm in your camp! I'd love to see a DeJuan Blair type in Pantone 287!

Mike Corey
04-26-2010, 11:18 AM
Adams' ceiling is extremely high.

Duke strength and conditioning will put Adams in a position to be an outstanding big man--in college, and thereafter.

cspan37421
04-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Nope, the poster meant "leaving." Both will have finished their four years of eligibility and will be leaving Duke for new challenges by the time Rivers/Adams/Gbinije/Miller will (or would potentially) be arriving for the 2011-2012.

Ooops, my bad. I sometimes lose track of how far ahead these recruiting threads look sometimes.

dyedwab
04-26-2010, 11:29 AM
In my time following Duke hoops, I can't think of any recruits from MS.

We haven't really plumbed what could be considered SEC country all that extensively. TLang was from AL, EWill from TN, but I can't think of others from that region. But my mind is going anyway, so that may not mean anything. :-)

In any event, welcome aboard Tyler!

roywhite
04-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Good to see the success on the recruiting trail; after losing guys like Zoubs, Lance, and Jon, Quincy and Adams sound good.

David
04-26-2010, 11:50 AM
In my time following Duke hoops, I can't think of any recruits from MS.

We haven't really plumbed what could be considered SEC country all that extensively. TLang was from AL, EWill from TN, but I can't think of others from that region. But my mind is going anyway, so that may not mean anything. :-)

In any event, welcome aboard Tyler!

Welcome to Duke Tyler!!! Very exciting news.

dyedwab - I had a similar thought about Duke's lack of recruting in SEC country. I remembered TLang, but I had forgotten EWill (how soon we forget...). Are we missing others?

Obviously, we are recruiting a 'pretty good' player out of FL right now... :)

UrinalCake
04-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Duhon was from Louisiana

SoCalDukeFan
04-26-2010, 11:53 AM
While Coach K is someone who sticks to his principles he is also someone who adjusts.

In the past his teams generally have featured a "drive and dish" type point guard. This year he won a NC without one.

He has not recruited JC transfers. Next year we will have one on the team.

I would think that K will no problem with 13 scholarship players, if we get the right players.

SoCal

YourLandlord
04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
Good to see the success on the recruiting trail; after losing guys like Zoubs, Lance, and Jon, Quincy and Adams sound good.
Bravo!

CEF1959
04-26-2010, 12:28 PM
The signing of Tyler may force some moves by other recruits sitting on the fence. With the Adams commitment, it looks like Duke will have two more scholarships available, with offers out to Rivers, QM, and Marshall. If Rivers commits, that leaves only one, with QM and MP3 needing to make a decision or having that decision effectively made for them.

Or... You figure someone might leave, get injured, be willing to redshirt, or do without a scholly for a year.

I gotta figure there'll be room for all of 'em if they want to be there.

scottdude8
04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
Can anyone go through the available scholarships step by step? If my calculations are correct, this is what the team should look like (only assuming committed players) at the beginning of the 2011 season:

Adams
Gbinjie
Kyrie (assuming he stays)
Josh
Tyler
Carrick
Seth
Mason (assuming he stays)
Ryan
Andre
Miles

So if that is correct, we have 2 more scholarships because we can have 13 total, correct? I haven't seen this explicitly explained, so I want to see...

soccerstud2210
04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
The signing of Tyler may force some moves by other recruits sitting on the fence. With the Adams commitment, it looks like Duke will have two more scholarships available, with offers out to Rivers, QM, and Marshall. If Rivers commits, that leaves only one, with QM and MP3 needing to make a decision or having that decision effectively made for them.

Or... You figure someone might leave, get injured, be willing to redshirt, or do without a scholly for a year.

I gotta figure there'll be room for all of 'em if they want to be there.

have we offered marshall? i know scout says we have not, but rivals says we have....

Kedsy
04-26-2010, 01:05 PM
So if that is correct, we have 2 more scholarships because we can have 13 total, correct? I haven't seen this explicitly explained, so I want to see...

It is correct. If everyone stays we now have two scholarships available for 2011-12.

have we offered marshall? i know scout says we have not, but rivals says we have....

Yes, we have. It was early in the season, at the same time we offered JP Tokoto. If you search for Marshall's recruiting thread you can find out exactly when.

Highlander
04-26-2010, 01:23 PM
I'm pretty sure he was joking. And why did you post the 08-09 roster?

Because he said last year's point guard was 5'6", ergo the '08-09 roster. Even though '09-10 is technically over, I still consider it (right or wrong) this year.

If this guy can play in the mold of a Brand or Boozer, both of which were similarly sized, I don't think his height will be an issue in college.

RoyalBlue08
04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Can anyone go through the available scholarships step by step? If my calculations are correct, this is what the team should look like (only assuming committed players) at the beginning of the 2011 season:

Adams
Gbinjie
Josh
Tyler
Carrick
Seth
Ryan
Andre
Miles

That looks right to me. And I think both of those assumptions are very up in the air, so I would assume we still have quite a bit of room scholarship.

CDu
04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Because he said last year's point guard was 5'6", ergo the '08-09 roster. Even though '09-10 is technically over, I still consider it (right or wrong) this year.

If this guy can play in the mold of a Brand or Boozer, both of which were similarly sized, I don't think his height will be an issue in college.

For the record, I'm thinking the other poster was referring to "last year" as this past year (when Scheyer was the PG). And I'm pretty sure that 5'6" was a typo for 6'5" (which is Scheyer's height).

As for Adams though, I agree that being 6'8" or 6'9" won't be a problem for him. It wasn't a problem for Hansbrough. It wasn't a problem for Brand. It wasn't a problem for Boozer. It wasn't a problem for Williams. It wasn't a problem for Blair. And so on.

Nugget
04-26-2010, 01:38 PM
I don't have a link, but I'm pretty sure Coach K has said that one of his responses to the new "one and done" environment is to be more willing to use all 13 scholarships than in the past.

Big Pappa
04-26-2010, 01:41 PM
For the record, I'm thinking the other poster was referring to "last year" as this past year (when Scheyer was the PG). And I'm pretty sure that 5'6" was a typo for 6'5" (which is Scheyer's height).

As for Adams though, I agree that being 6'8" or 6'9" won't be a problem for him. It wasn't a problem for Hansbrough. It wasn't a problem for Brand. It wasn't a problem for Boozer. It wasn't a problem for Williams. It wasn't a problem for Blair. And so on.

Yes, he was saying that it would be strange to have a center who was only 3 inches taller than our pg from last year.

But, I disagree that it would be strange or even a problem. Like CDu said it wasn't a problem for any of those guys (I don't really like throwing Hansbrough in there because of my hate for him) like Booz or Brand. They, along with Blair, are having great NBA careers. Also remember that Chuck Hayes from Kentucky is only 6'6" and playing center for the rockets.

CDu
04-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Yes, he was saying that it would be strange to have a center who was only 3 inches taller than our pg from last year.

But, I disagree that it would be strange or even a problem. Like CDu said it wasn't a problem for any of those guys (I don't really like throwing Hansbrough in there because of my hate for him) like Booz or Brand. They, along with Blair, are having great NBA careers. Also remember that Chuck Hayes from Kentucky is only 6'6" and playing center for the rockets.

Yup. It's not always about height for a big man. It's about owning your space. Wes Unseld was only 6'7", but he was a dominant post presence. Those guys above (even Hansbrough) were great. If you know how to use your body, you can thrive despite not being super tall.

Heck, you don't even have to be a bruiser to be "short" and still effective in the post. Antawn Jamison was only 6'8"/6'9", and he was one of the best post scorers I've ever seen. The guy was just really good at getting to the right spot, and he so quick with the ball that it was hard to stop him in the paint.

It won't be height that prevents Adams from being an impact player in college.

And now that I've complimented two UNC players in two posts, I'll go purge myself...

Starter
04-26-2010, 02:01 PM
Many thanks to Airowe and Bob Green for video and a scouting report. He actually resembles Nate in the video facially -- at least to these eyes -- so I have no doubt he's a tough dude.

Know what? Maybe this is an element we need. Everyone brings up Blair, but if he's like Blair, I'm ok with it if we see that he's a lower-ranked dude who ends up growing as a player, and when they consider this class years from now, they say, "He was definitely underranked." That was the case with Blair, and I'll take that in a heartbeat over the high-ranked Boatengs and Thompsons of years past. If this is a guy that the coaching staff looks at, sees size you can't really teach and wants to groom him into a problem down low, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. And as I said, it meant something to me that Quincy Miller views him highly -- and even that he knows who he is.

So yeah, let's see how it goes.

Highlander
04-26-2010, 02:24 PM
For the record, I'm thinking the other poster was referring to "last year" as this past year (when Scheyer was the PG).

As opposed to '08-09 when the PG was.... also Scheyer? The confusing part was the author's type-o. The year distinction is irrelevant IMO because Scheyer was the PG both years. Anyway, beat to death already and off topic, so I'm going to drop it.

Good list. Another good 6'8" ish recent college center was Patrick Patterson.

NSDukeFan
04-26-2010, 02:28 PM
Yup. It's not always about height for a big man. It's about owning your space. Wes Unseld was only 6'7", but he was a dominant post presence. Those guys above (even Hansbrough) were great. If you know how to use your body, you can thrive despite not being super tall.

Heck, you don't even have to be a bruiser to be "short" and still effective in the post. Antawn Jamison was only 6'8"/6'9", and he was one of the best post scorers I've ever seen. The guy was just really good at getting to the right spot, and he so quick with the ball that it was hard to stop him in the paint.

It won't be height that prevents Adams from being an impact player in college.

And now that I've complimented two UNC players in two posts, I'll go purge myself...

One of the best post players I remember ever watching was Adrian Dantley, who was 6'5", not wide but had great post moves. He could also score in other ways, but I thought he was a fantastic post scorer at his size.

sandinmyshoes
04-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Great hands. He will be hard to move out of the paint on offense, and hard to back down when he is playing defense. How quickly he makes an impact will be dependent on how hard he works for college level conditioning. He'll also have to learn focus and intensity on every play if he wants to see court time in Coach K's system.

The good thing is what he needs to work on is teachable, what he is best at are natural gifts.

CrazieDUMB
04-26-2010, 03:37 PM
As long as we're going down the list of only kinda freakishly tall people to be successful in the post, don't forget the Round Mound of Rebound. Charles Barkley was only 6'6". As many a poster has said, it's more about how you use your body to create space than a few extra inches up top.

Clipsfan
04-26-2010, 03:49 PM
As opposed to '08-09 when the PG was.... also Scheyer? The confusing part was the author's type-o. The year distinction is irrelevant IMO because Scheyer was the PG both years. Anyway, beat to death already and off topic, so I'm going to drop it.

Good list. Another good 6'8" ish recent college center was Patrick Patterson.

Patterson wasn't a center and didn't thrive (especially this last year) on the low-post back to the basket sort of play which Adams says is his strength. I would be very surprised if Adams takes as many threes in his entire career as Patterson took in his first few games this past year.

BD80
04-26-2010, 03:57 PM
Too bad Henson will be gone when Adams arrives. I would love to see Henson try to go above and over Tyler for a rebound that Tyler gets his hands on. Tyler would snap Henson like a twig if Henson's hand gets under the ball as Tyler pulls the ball in.

SilkyJ
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't have a link, but I'm pretty sure Coach K has said that one of his responses to the new "one and done" environment is to be more willing to use all 13 scholarships than in the past.

I recall this as well.

I'm with ya, Big P. The year Brand came out I remember he and Rip Hamilton were on an ESPN talking heads show (Jim Rome's old show maybe?) and they stood side and by side and were measured and brand was less than 3 inches taller than rip. I think E can handle himself in the post.

Now its also silly to compare Tyler to Elton and Boozer and give the expectations of those two. Those guys were two of the best Duke big men of the last 20 years. But I have no doubt a 6'8, 260lb beast that is a Junior in HS can come to Duke lean and mean and ready to bang downlow. Besides, if Mason is still here when he arrives Mason is likely the starting Center anyways.

Greg_Newton
04-26-2010, 05:18 PM
I like this commitment. He's not the guy that's going to make a recruiting class, because he's not a top prospect yet, and there's no guarantee he will be. However, he's a guy with huge upside and a GREAT body for a post player, and a guy that seems to be realize that he needs to work on making himself into the player that he needs to be first and foremost, rather than worry about getting PT right away.

Every team needs guys that are okay with working hard and not being "the man" right away, and I'd much rather we pick up a raw but exciting physical specimen like Adams than a 6'8 220 finesse role player who has the same mindset but a much lower ceiling. Should be fun to see what K and the crew can do with this guy.

Dukefan4Life
04-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Welcome Tyler! :D

House G
04-26-2010, 05:38 PM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=3725622

Tyler Adams - College Basketball Recruiting 2011 - ESPN

http://www.slamonline.com/online/blogs/school-daze-by-aggrey-sam/2009/09/slam-fresh-25-2011/

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2010/apr/26/mississippi-center-commits-duke/

House G
04-26-2010, 05:41 PM
sorry, wrong link

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=67019&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d670 19

rasputin
04-26-2010, 06:06 PM
I have a vague recollection of seeing Buck Williams eat Ralph Sampson's lunch.

CEF1959
04-26-2010, 07:36 PM
I have a vague recollection of seeing Buck Williams eat Ralph Sampson's lunch.

I remember seeing Christian Laettner clean Shaq's clock. Gave up 2 inches and (at that time) about 50 pounds, and still schooled him.

It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

But 6-9, 260 is plenty of meat. And he's a high school junior who hasn't hit the weight room yet. Bwaahaaaaa. If he has good hands and can condition himself to run the floor, he could be a beast.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 07:43 PM
I don't believe that he has never been in the weight room yet. He's a high school junior who plays sports, why hasn't he hit the weights yet?

ElSid
04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
I don't believe that he has never been in the weight room yet. He's a high school junior who plays sports, why hasn't he hit the weights yet?

well, lifting weights can stunt your growth, so if you're interested in getting as tall as possible, you might want to wait. i lifted weights in high school and never got as tall as my doctor said i would be after looking at the tea leaves aka growth plates.

not sure if that's the case here. you can grow a lot late. my uncle grew something like 6" in his senior year of high school.

just one reason maybe why he's held off...if he has.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 07:57 PM
I understand that, but I mean this guy is huge, I just don't see how he has never started lifting weights yet. He's 260 and in high school.

dukelifer
04-26-2010, 08:09 PM
I understand that, but I mean this guy is huge, I just don't see how he has never started lifting weights yet. He's 260 and in high school.

Maybe his High School does not have the equipment. Anyway- the kid is big and probably strong. You can get that way without lifting weights- look at Herschel Walker.

blueprofessor
04-26-2010, 08:32 PM
Maybe his High School does not have the equipment. Anyway- the kid is big and probably strong. You can get that way without lifting weights- look at Herschel Walker.

Walker did something like 1500 pushups and 2500 situps a day. He would have worn out any weight set in six months.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 08:38 PM
Walker did something like 1500 pushups and 2500 situps a day. He would have worn out any weight set in six months.

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)

hmm another Mississippi athlete that never touched the weight room before college comes to mind...by the name of Walter Payton.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 08:43 PM
They're the exception not the rule. But if he's anything like them it can only be a good thing.

amat1129
04-26-2010, 08:44 PM
hmm another Mississippi athlete that never touched the weight room before college comes to mind...by the name of Walter Payton.

tyler adams is the next walter payton

ElSid
04-26-2010, 08:46 PM

you heard it here first folks!

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 08:48 PM
Alright guys, no need for the sarcasm. Just pointing that out.

Also just showing that you don't need to lift weights to get buff

tecumseh
04-26-2010, 08:58 PM
I remember years ago there was some kind from Alabama, Charles Barkley, he was 6 ft 6 in and he could play down low......in the NBA. The key is a big I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this., seriously if you have a really strong base like Elton Brand and Sir Charles and they say this kid is "thick and solid" 6 ft 8 in is plenty tall enough to play down in the block in college ball.

whirlieduke4
04-26-2010, 09:46 PM
well, lifting weights can stunt your growth, so if you're interested in getting as tall as possible, you might want to wait. i lifted weights in high school and never got as tall as my doctor said i would be after looking at the tea leaves aka growth plates.

not sure if that's the case here. you can grow a lot late. my uncle grew something like 6" in his senior year of high school.

just one reason maybe why he's held off...if he has.

Myth. If anything a little weight lifting enhances your growth, as some studies have shown that type of exercises releases some hormone or something. I have no idea, just know that it's a myth and it will not stunt your growth. If he's a high school junior, plays basketball, he most certainly lifts. I think the point that everybody is making is that he hasn't hit Nate's Weights yet, and that when he does he'll be an absolute monster. Just my take.

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Myth. If anything a little weight lifting enhances your growth, as some studies have shown that type of exercises releases some hormone or something. I have no idea, just know that it's a myth and it will not stunt your growth. If he's a high school junior, plays basketball, he most certainly lifts. I think the point that everybody is making is that he hasn't hit Nate's Weights yet, and that when he does he'll be an absolute monster. Just my take.

Well the scouting report on ESPN says that he hasnt hit the weight room yet and that was written long before he commited to us.

Richard Berg
04-26-2010, 11:51 PM
What does "hasn't hit the weight room yet" mean anyway? Am I supposed to believe a D1 athlete has never used a barbell in his life? P-lease. I was the smallest, slowest, scrawniest nerd to ever crawl through the halls of my alma mater, but even I lifted in [mandatory] junior high PE.

Far more likely, it's recruiting/journalist shorthand for a guy whose physical frame has a high ceiling [broad walls?] that's a long way from being reached anytime soon.

Charles Barkley
Let's not get too carried away. Geez. How about the 6-8 power forward who owns our school records in rebounds and blocks? Shelden was never the tallest player on his roster, much less on the floor, but that didn't stop him from having a very nice career down low.

Nice overview.

Taking the specific example of communicating with DBR readers, the easiest route is to simply summarize the information in your own words. Copyright issues are almost entirely sidestepped; your fellow board members will be happier too. (I think we'd all rather read a concise presentation of the Duke-related facts than some sportswriter's rambling spin.) The only hangup would be if you're subject to a particularly thorny NDA...I don't visit "premium" sites so I dunno what restrictions they try to weasel into their contracts.

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 11:54 PM
What does "hasn't hit the weight room yet" mean anyway? Am I supposed to believe a D1 athlete has never used a barbell in his life? P-lease. I was the smallest, slowest, scrawniest nerd to ever crawl through the halls of my alma mater, but even I lifted in [mandatory] junior high PE.

Far more likely, it's recruiting/journalist shorthand for a guy whose physical frame has a high ceiling [broad walls?] that's a long way from being reached anytime soon

agreed

west_coast_devil
04-26-2010, 11:55 PM
Can anybody link some film on Tyler Adams? Would really like to see how he plays..........Welcome to Duke!

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 11:57 PM
Can anybody link some film on Tyler Adams? Would really like to see how he plays..........Welcome to Duke!

Theres a link earlier in this thread.

RoyalBlue08
04-27-2010, 12:12 AM

I don't think anyone should take the "hasn't hit the weight room yet" phrase literally. However, what little weight training that HS basketball players may or may not do pales in comparison to what goes on at a DI program. If you look at any of our players when they arrive on campus and when they leave, clearly they go through a body transformation that is due to more than just getting older. I think what the scouts are trying to say is they haven't gotten into a collegiate weight training program yet.

Kedsy
04-27-2010, 12:56 AM
As long as we're going down the list of only kinda freakishly tall people to be successful in the post, don't forget the Round Mound of Rebound. Charles Barkley was only 6'6". As many a poster has said, it's more about how you use your body to create space than a few extra inches up top.

Barkley was actually 6'4". I don't believe DeJuan Blair is really 6'8", either. More like 6'6" or 6'7". Dennis Rodman was 6'7"; Wes Unseld was 6'7"; Big Baby Davis is 6'8" or 6'9". If you weigh 255 pounds, like Tyler Adams reportedly does without yet having worked at length in the weight room, then as long as your conditioning is solid, height will not be the deciding factor in how good you can be as an inside player, especially in college.

SilkyJ
04-27-2010, 02:03 AM

HAHAHA. The old "some hormone or something" argument. Classic.

Here's my take: saying "I have no idea" followed by "I just know that ___" isn't a very good way to make an argument, and that's putting it nicely.

Around here we like to pride ourselves on though out, intelligent posts. Maybe try doing a quick Google search on "does lifting weights stunt your growth" and linking to some kind of source instead of citing the doctrine of "I have no idea"? I don't know, just my take.

Barkley was actually 6'4".

I thought the same thing. Literally the same number...but NBA.com lists him at 6'6"

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/charles_barkley/bio.html

Scroll down to the 8 or 9th line: "At 6-6 and 252 pounds (leaner than in his college days)"

Oddly the NBA.com profile doesn't have his height/weight/etc. at the top of the page that you usually find. See Laettner's for example:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/christian_laettner/bio.html

Cali-Duke
04-27-2010, 04:03 AM
Barkley was actually 6'4". I don't believe DeJuan Blair is really 6'8", either. More like 6'6" or 6'7". Dennis Rodman was 6'7"; Wes Unseld was 6'7"; Big Baby Davis is 6'8" or 6'9". If you weigh 255 pounds, like Tyler Adams reportedly does without yet having worked at length in the weight room, then as long as your conditioning is solid, height will not be the deciding factor in how good you can be as an inside player, especially in college.

Barkley was listed as 6'6'' but prob closer to 6'4'' according to the following:
http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/tag/charles-barkley
http://www.nba.com/history/players/barkley_bio.html

DeJuan Blair measured in at 6'5.25'' without shoes in last year's NBA pre-draft measurements but had a 7'2'' wingspan
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2009&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=2

The NBA exaggerates heights in general. Jay Williams was giving commentary during some game (McDonald's All American game 2010?) and said that he was listed as 6'2'' even though he was prob closer to 6'0.5''.

As long as Tyler plays big, height won't mean much. Look at Demarcus Nelson.

Cisco
04-27-2010, 06:21 AM
In those commercials with Dwyane Wade, who is 6-4, is taller then Dwyane Wade. So i think he probably is close to 6-6.

Tyler adams, 6-9 255 lbs, sounds like he can be a great defender for us in a few years. Hopefully he ends up playing like shelden!

ice-9
04-27-2010, 07:35 AM
Do we know the length of Tyler's wingspan?

JohnGalt
04-27-2010, 08:08 AM
In those commercials with Dwyane Wade, who is 6-4, is taller then Dwyane Wade. So i think he probably is close to 6-6.

Tyler adams, 6-9 255 lbs, sounds like he can be a great defender for us in a few years. Hopefully he ends up playing like shelden!

Or maybe, like many have suggested, Wade is only really 6-2 and Barkley is only really 6-4.

NM Duke Fan
04-27-2010, 08:29 AM
Heights are inconsistently listed in sports, and one reason is they are usually not specified as whether barefoot or with shoes. Some basketball shoes add around 1 1/2" to meausured height. BTW, most people are about 1/2" taller when they wake up in the AM compared to going to bed at night. Good old gravity doing its compression work. So if you want to have your listed height as more impressive, get to the physical early!

oldnavy
04-27-2010, 08:40 AM
Or maybe, like many have suggested, Wade is only really 6-2 and Barkley is only really 6-4.

Last time I saw Barkley he was close to be 6-4... in diameter!

Seriously, I am excited about getting a big man that likes to bang down low, I have loved each of our guys over the past few years, but I love having a bruiser in the mix...

Duke of Nashville
04-27-2010, 09:18 AM
Do we know the length of Tyler's wingspan?

One of my buddies posted a picture on my wall of Tyler Adams showing his wingspan...here is the link (http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=38994310&id=36610711)

Only problem is my profile is private so I am not sure if it will work....

Memphis Devil
04-27-2010, 10:38 AM

The only video I was able to find was one of him sitting outside the Brandon H.S. weight room refusing to go in! Weird. ;)

BD80
04-27-2010, 11:08 AM
One of my buddies posted a picture on my wall of Tyler Adams showing his wingspan...here is the link (http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=38994310&id=36610711)

Only problem is my profile is private so I am not sure if it will work....

On your facebook page, right click on the photo and select properties. The resulting menu will include the location of the picture (http// ...) which you can copy and paste into the window that pops up when you select the "Insert Image" (the postcard of the mountains) icon in the Reply to Thread window of this board.

The picture would be interesting to see!

Wasn't it Jerry Krause who distained the classic method of measuring height, favoring instead height measured at the shoulder and a measurement of the player's reach? After all, it doesn't matter how high the top of a player's head gets, it is how high he can get his hands.

loran16
04-27-2010, 11:37 AM
Barkley was listed as 6'6'' but prob closer to 6'4'' according to the following:
http://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/tag/charles-barkley
http://www.nba.com/history/players/barkley_bio.html

DeJuan Blair measured in at 6'5.25'' without shoes in last year's NBA pre-draft measurements but had a 7'2'' wingspan
http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=2009&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=0&sort=2

The NBA exaggerates heights in general. Jay Williams was giving commentary during some game (McDonald's All American game 2010?) and said that he was listed as 6'2'' even though he was prob closer to 6'0.5''.

As long as Tyler plays big, height won't mean much. Look at Demarcus Nelson.

Errrr, Pardon? DMarc played forward, not center, and most certainly didn't play big (not that he was asked to).

Duke of Nashville
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
On your facebook page, right click on the photo and select properties. The resulting menu will include the location of the picture (http// ...) which you can copy and paste into the window that pops up when you select the "Insert Image" (the postcard of the mountains) icon in the Reply to Thread window of this board.

The picture would be interesting to see!

Wasn't it Jerry Krause who distained the classic method of measuring height, favoring instead height measured at the shoulder and a measurement of the player's reach? After all, it doesn't matter how high the top of a player's head gets, it is how high he can get his hands.

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs430.snc3/24766_692228446847_36610711_38994310_6440236_n.jpg

BD80
04-27-2010, 12:54 PM
http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/hs430.snc3/24766_692228446847_36610711_38994310_6440236_n.jpg

Thanks for the pic!

Tough to believe he is 260 lbs. Looks like he has some room to add some bulk and maintain his athleticism. Talk about a blank canvas for Nate to paint his first masterpiece.

SilkyJ
04-27-2010, 01:05 PM
Errrr, Pardon? DMarc played forward, not center, and most certainly didn't play big (not that he was asked to).

He meant "play big" as in style of play not position. Demarcus was a tremendous rebounder for his size with the ability to guard much taller opponents, i.e. he "played bigger than he was." Same for Sir Charles.

But really, Tyler is 6'8/6'9 and a load. I think we're getting a little too worried about whether he's truly big enough. He and we will be fine.

oldnavy
04-27-2010, 02:18 PM
He meant "play big" as in style of play not position. Demarcus was a tremendous rebounder for his size with the ability to guard much taller opponents, i.e. he "played bigger than he was." Same for Sir Charles.

But really, Tyler is 6'8/6'9 and a load. I think we're getting a little too worried about whether he's truly big enough. He and we will be fine.

Agee, worrying about him being too small is ridiculous. Someone help me with this... take a look at the picture. It appears that Tylers arms are spanning about 6 or so cinder blocks. I just measured a cinder block and it is right at 16 inches long. That would put his wing span at around 8 feet?

Someone double check my math on this please!

CDu
04-27-2010, 02:28 PM
Agee, worrying about him being too small is ridiculous. Someone help me with this... take a look at the picture. It appears that Tylers arms are spanning about 6 or so cinder blocks. I just measured a cinder block and it is right at 16 inches long. That would put his wing span at around 8 feet?

Someone double check my math on this please!

Depth perception is a tricky thing to judge in pictures. Remember - the picture is being taken directly in front of the player. Thus, you're seeing his fingers at an angle. Because of that, it's pretty tough to accurately measure relative to the cinder blocks behind him. You'd need to be looking straight on his fingers (rather than at an angle) to get an accurate measure. And then you'd have to assume that all cinder blocks are the same length (otherwise the 16inch measurement you took becomes questionable).

I'm pretty confident that his wingspan is not 8 feet. That would be about half a foot longer than even the longest wingspans among draft prospects over the past decade. Only a handful of guys have had a reach measured out at above 7'6" since 1999, with the longest being 7'8.75". The guys who measured out over 7'6" were typically 6'11" or so.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's more in the 7'0" to 7'6" range. And I'd guess probably closer to the 7'0" end. But that's purely a guess.

dukelifer
04-27-2010, 02:35 PM
Depth perception is a tricky thing to judge in pictures. Remember - the picture is being taken directly in front of the player. Thus, you're seeing his fingers at an angle. Because of that, it's pretty tough to accurately measure relative to the cinder blocks behind him. You'd need to be looking straight on his fingers (rather than at an angle) to get an accurate measure. And then you'd have to assume that all cinder blocks are the same length (otherwise the 16inch measurement you took becomes questionable).

I'm pretty confident that his wingspan is not 8 feet. That would be about half a foot longer than even the longest wingspans among draft prospects over the past decade. Only a handful of guys have had a reach measured out at above 7'6" since 1999, with the longest being 7'8.75". The guys who measured out over 7'6" were typically 6'11" or so.

If I had to guess, I'd say he's more in the 7'0" to 7'6" range. But that's purely a guess.

It looks like 5.5 blocks to me which puts him in the 7' 4" range. He is long but not crazy long.

jimsumner
04-27-2010, 02:41 PM
" just measured a cinder block and it is right at 16 inches long. That would put his wing span at around 8 feet? "

Hmm, a new unit of measurement. Will the NBA start measuring reach in cinder blocks? Will we have to standardize cinder blocks? Will the NFL and NBA agree on the proper usage of cinder blocks? Will the unions get involved?

So, many questions.

And, aren't we a bunch of worrywarts? Is the 6'9", 265-pounder big enough to play the post, ask fans of the program that somehow managed to make do with Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer and Shelden Williams.

CDu
04-27-2010, 02:45 PM
And, aren't we a bunch of worrywarts? Is the 6'9", 265-pounder big enough to play the post, ask fans of the program that somehow managed to make do with Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer and Shelden Williams.

To be fair, I can only think of one person in this thread who's actually concerned about Adams's height being a problem. And even that person was maybe not even that worried. The vast majority of the posts following have referenced exactly the same players you just did.

jimsumner
04-27-2010, 03:00 PM
CDu, are you suggesting that measuring cinder blocks off of a photo to determine reach doesn't betray at least a hint of anxiety? :)

El_Diablo
04-27-2010, 03:06 PM
CDu, are you suggesting that measuring cinder blocks off of a photo to determine reach doesn't betray at least a hint of anxiety? :)

I know. This is getting ridiculous, people.

Just use the basketballs (9.4-inch diameter). :D

Greg_Newton
04-27-2010, 04:38 PM
Hmm, a new unit of measurement. Will the NBA start measuring reach in cinder blocks? Will we have to standardize cinder blocks? Will the NFL and NBA agree on the proper usage of cinder blocks? Will the unions get involved?

So, many questions.

Well, those three guys had wingspans ranging from 7'2.5" to 7'5.5" (Blair's was 7'2"). So if we're going to be worrywarts about anything, wingspan would probably be it.

And El_Diablo, I of course followed your advice ;)... and came up with a wingspan of just under 6'9". Someone check those cinderblocks!!!

billyj
04-27-2010, 04:53 PM
What difference does 1 or 2 inches make? I've seen plenty of 6'9" all-stars and 6-11 scrubs. If he can play, he can play. Any numerical measurement will not change that fact.

MChambers
04-27-2010, 04:55 PM
I'd be more worried if he was carrying a couple of extra cinder blocks around (see Williams, John "Hot Plate"; May, Sean) or if he couldn't pick up a cinder block (see Henson, John).

His reach and height, however measured, seem fine to me.

CEF1959
04-27-2010, 04:58 PM
If you zoom in and photo-enhance this, then photo-sim it into a 360 degree composite view, and study the blueprints of the building he's standing in to accurately read the cinder-block markers, you'll see that (counting length of the hair folicles and presumed NCAA-average fingernail length), Mr. Adams' wingspan is exactly 6.723859 feet. Somebody might want to check my math, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

Big Pappa
04-27-2010, 05:01 PM
If you zoom in and photo-enhance this, then photo-sim it into a 360 degree composite view, and study the blueprints of the building he's standing in to accurately read the cinder-block markers, you'll see that (counting length of the hair folicles and presumed NCAA-average fingernail length), Mr. Adams' wingspan is exactly 6.723859 feet. Somebody might want to check my math, but I'm pretty sure that's accurate.

Just checked, it's actually 6.723858 but you are close. It may just be because I have a Mac.

CDu
04-27-2010, 05:27 PM

I'm suggesting that while measurements of cinderblocks are certainly silly, they are entirely a separate issue from being anxious about Adams's height.

I think the poster who brought up the cinder blocks was not concerned about Adams's height. The poster was just getting overexcited about how long-armed Adams was.

And to clarify, I'm neither concerned about his height nor am I concerned about how long his arms are.

jimsumner
04-27-2010, 05:35 PM
And Carlos Boozer slipped into the second round of the NBA draft because people who get paid to evaluate talent took a look at Boozer's height and decided that that measurement was more important than what they saw on the court.

I don't care if Adams is 6'8" or 6'9" or what his wingspan is to within the quarter inch. I'm more concerned with whether he can play or not.

My understanding is that he can.

JohnGalt
04-27-2010, 05:37 PM
I'd be more worried if he was carrying a couple of extra cinder blocks around (see Williams, John "Hot Plate"; May, Sean) or if he couldn't pick up a cinder block (see Henson, John).

Someone on DBR has a "Brevity is wit" signature. You must be his friend.

Well placed.

rasputin
04-27-2010, 05:43 PM
Well, I can remember some players (not ours) who actually WERE cinder blocks.

fgb
04-27-2010, 05:50 PM

If I had to guess, I'd say he's more in the 7'0" to 7'6" range. And I'd guess probably closer to the 7'0" end. But that's purely a guess.

also worth keeping in mind is that the space between the player and the cinderblocks distorts the cinderblocks as a measuring tool, effectively shrinking them. were he standing another eight or ten feet from the wall, and the photographer just as close, his wingspan might appear to stretch across twelve or fifteen cinderblocks. kind of like when the kids in the hall would get upset and crush your head.

Greg_Newton
04-27-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't care if Adams is 6'8" or 6'9" or what his wingspan is to within the quarter inch. I'm more concerned with whether he can play or not.

Certainly, but I would argue that wingspan has a lot to do with that for a bulky, perhaps short-by-an-inch-or-two post player. Here's a list (http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?page=&year=All&sort2=DESC&draft=0&pos=4&sort=5) of PF wingspan measurements at the draft camp over the past decade... the memorable names are few and far between once you get below the 7'0-6'11 range, especially for true bigs.

It's no coincidence Shelden/Brand/Booz all had 7'2"+ 'spans... it allowed them to play taller than they were. I'd certainly be curious to hear if Tyler has the same type of stats.

FireOgilvie
04-27-2010, 06:45 PM
I know. This is getting ridiculous, people.

Just use the basketballs (9.4-inch diameter). :D

Using the 9.4 inch diameter basketballs in that picture, his wingspan is approximately 6'9", +/- 1 inch (depending on where you estimate his fingers to end once outstretched). It's definitely not 7'0"+.

Yes, I actually measured it using Photoshop.

jimsumner
04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
Sean May has a 7'1.25" wingspan. So, maybe there are other important measurements. :)

Duvall
04-27-2010, 06:55 PM
Sean May has a 7'1.25" wingspan. So, maybe there are other important measurements. :)

Wait, which way is this supposed to cut?

Indoor66
04-27-2010, 06:59 PM
also worth keeping in mind is that the space between the player and the cinderblocks distorts the cinderblocks as a measuring tool, effectively shrinking them. were he standing another eight or ten feet from the wall, and the photographer just as close, his wingspan might appear to stretch across twelve or fifteen cinderblocks. kind of like when the kids in the hall would get upset and crush your head.

This rediculous talk has also failed to account for the cement between the blocks.

CEF1959
04-27-2010, 07:37 PM
Using the 9.4 inch diameter basketballs in that picture, his wingspan is approximately 6'9", +/- 1 inch (depending on where you estimate his fingers to end once outstretched). It's definitely not 7'0"+.

Yes, I actually measured it using Photoshop.

What if the basketballs are being held slightly in front of or behind him in the photo? Either possibility would distort the calculation. And are you sure these are regulation-size basketballs? A 1/2 inch difference in diameter one way or the other would mean more than 5% off in the calculation -- over 4 inches in either direction on the wingspan.

In fact, maybe the photo itself was Photoshopped. Maybe that's really some undersized Morrocan kid holding casava melons at a casbah built of non-standard cement blocks.

In any event, Tyler is a hoss, and we're lucky to have him. Welcome, Tyler!

MChambers
04-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Someone on DBR has a "Brevity is wit" signature. You must be his friend.

Well placed.

Thanks!

ChicagoCrazy84
04-27-2010, 07:51 PM
Great to have Tyler on board. From the sound of everything, he has all the tools, he just has to get his stamina up. Honestly though, what high school junior doesn't? Knowing where he can be at in a few years at Duke, I bet the kid will be running 5 miles a day :D

First 2 players named Tyler to play for Duke??

devildeac
04-27-2010, 10:42 PM
Great to have Tyler on board. From the sound of everything, he has all the tools, he just has to get his stamina up. Honestly though, what high school junior doesn't? Knowing where he can be at in a few years at Duke, I bet the kid will be running 5 miles a day :D

First 2 players named Tyler to play for Duke??

And neither named lawson or hansbro...

fgb
04-27-2010, 10:47 PM
This rediculous talk has also failed to account for the cement between the blocks.

good point. that's not how you are supposed to spell ridiculous, though.

devildeac
04-27-2010, 10:58 PM

good point. that's not how you are supposed to spell ridiculous, though.

You're correct. He omitted the "k" that should follow the "c.";)

hedevil
04-27-2010, 11:09 PM
Isn't it reddickulous?

hedevil
04-27-2010, 11:11 PM
Like devildeac said.:)

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-27-2010, 11:31 PM
Isn't it reddickulous?

ly gay? hahaaha I just had to, that photo is classic, I like JJ but that photo is really funny.

UrinalCake
04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
If my calculations are correct, this is what the team should look like (only assuming committed players) at the beginning of the 2011 season:

Adams
Gbinjie
Josh
Tyler
Carrick
Seth
Ryan
Andre
Miles

Anyone else notice that we will have only three white players on the roster? I wonder if this will change the public's perception of Duke...

airowe
04-28-2010, 12:24 AM
Anyone else notice that we will have only three white players on the roster? I wonder if this will change the public's perception of Duke...

I'm sure it will go to the other extreme.

"Nate James only recruits black players. He can't relate to the white suburban kid who spends seconds trying to get his parents to move their SUVs so he can practice layups, floor slapping, and taking charges in his driveway." or

"Duke doesn't even recruit New Jersey kids anymore."

hedevil
04-28-2010, 12:26 AM
Actually it's 4. Kyle, Kelly, and the Plumlees.

MisterRoddy
04-28-2010, 01:01 AM
I'm sure it will go to the other extreme.

"Nate James only recruits black players. He can't relate to the white suburban kid who spends seconds trying to get his parents to move their SUVs so he can practice layups, floor slapping, and taking charges in his driveway." or

"Duke doesn't even recruit New Jersey kids anymore."

Well 3 of them are projected starters and one of them is possibly our best player. Possibly the ACC's best player.

I think the public perception will stay for at least one more year.

ElSid
04-28-2010, 01:21 AM

yeah this came to mind. realistically...i expect that it will. people can't help it. it's a really odd thing to say in a world dominated largely by white males, but basketball is a game where whites have to overcome, or just deal with, negative stereotypes. funny, that.

this issue seems to bother / interest fans more than players, as far as i can tell. jon and kyle and other white players confronted by the media about it just seem to shrug off race as an influence on the court. for people like us who search for reasons why duke is so hated and why our coworkers won't high five us after the championship, it presents some interesting questions. duke's percentage of white players seems to be relatively high most years. we win a lot. we're hated. will we still be hated as much if a team like the 2011/12 squad wins the NC? probably not. I feel like people hated the '99 team that nearly went undefeated less than most...elton, corey, avery, landgon. all great athletes. was that team hated less for stylistic reasons or because we didn't have a paulus or scheyer who was safe to hate? was our team seen as being less privileged, snobby, or soft? who knows. i don't really care. regardless, we'll still be hated in 2011/12 and it will feel good because we will be winning.

for what it's worth, if we get rivers, he could be a target. a lot of privilege there to resent. otherwise...white post players absorb the brunt of opposing team's animosity. so the plumlees and kelly will be especially targeted.

and as an aside, i don't think coach k is going after fewer white players on purpose, just going after players that fit his scheme and have talent. he's always gone after african american players but missed a lot. gotta think nate james is bringing some perspective for these kids to make them believe they could feel at home at duke. i know nate is getting all sorts of love on this board lately and it's probably deserved. without dawkins on the staff (and maybe even with him) there wasn't as much there to relate really well to a younger generation of african american players. this is, of course, speculation. could be correlation without causation. who knows. but nate joined the staff...then recruiting of the types of kids we missed on recently or didn't try to attract sprang to life. with felix and adams, it's confirmed he was driving the process. hope those guys turn into stars.

i'm happy with whatever team we put on the floor that can destroy the competition and keep the program humming along. i'm really excited for the next couple years because it looks like we have some really great athletes and skilled shooters, a big based low post presence, etc. kyrie's media interviews sound great so far, he'll be a great ambassador. nolan and singler back next year. plumlees getting better all around. let's just ride this train to houston and beyond.

ElSid
04-28-2010, 01:23 AM
Well 3 of them are projected starters and one of them is possibly our best player. Possibly the ACC's best player.

I think the public perception will stay for at least one more year.

yeah one more year.

the post was about beginning of 2011.

Kedsy
04-28-2010, 01:25 AM

And if the photographer were moving backwards at the speed of light and Tyler had an atomic clock strapped to his wrist, then a basketball rolling down from his shoulder at less than one half the speed of light would reach his hand before it started, meaning he has an infinite reach.

He'll be dunking effortlessly from three-quarters court. Count on it.

Richard Berg
04-28-2010, 01:39 AM
Here's my take: saying "I have no idea" followed by "I just know that ___" isn't a very good way to make an argument, and that's putting it nicely.

Around here we like to pride ourselves on though out, intelligent posts. Maybe try doing a quick Google search on "does lifting weights stunt your growth" and linking to some kind of source instead of citing the doctrine of "I have no idea"? I don't know, just my take.
Agreed.

AMERICAN ACADEMY OF PEDIATRICS: Strength Training by Children and Adolescents
Strength training programs do not seem to adversely affect linear growth and do not seem to have any long-term detrimental effect on cardiovascular health.

Full text of the AAP's recommendations + 21 peer reviewed references: http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/cgi/content/full/pediatrics;107/6/1470

ElSid
04-28-2010, 01:44 AM
so we've established that weight training doesn't affect linear growth. i learned something today.

for me it must have been the heavy drinking at age 13, then. i'm barely taller than a baby musk deer.

i'm guessing tyler just has big bones and ate well...and stayed off the slurry.

Starter
04-28-2010, 03:09 AM
ElSid -- easily my favorite poster.

Given my 5-foot-6 stature and ongoing Napoleon Complex, I might as well have just lifted weights in high school!

flyingdutchdevil
04-28-2010, 05:45 AM
ElSid -- easily my favorite poster.

Given my 5-foot-6 stature and ongoing Napoleon Complex, I might as well have just lifted weights in high school!

Why do you think Jon Henson is so tall? He's been lifting weights his entire life! ;)

oldnavy
04-28-2010, 06:41 AM

Jeez guys, I figured that my post would have been just silly enough to be seen as the joke it was meant to be! Hence the suggestions to check my math, etc... Sorry, but it must not have been as funny as I thought it would be. I have been know to lay an egg everyonce in a while! :)

Jim, I have tremendous respect for you and your basketball knowledge. Please let me assuure you that I am probably in the top 10 of LEAST anxious people on the board we it comes to recruits and worrying about silly things such as if someone is tall enough, or has a long enough reach, or whatever.

I have been a Duke fan for 40+ years and never once was I worried about a players size. In fact I would not have even posted this execpt it seemed ridiculous to me that so many people were "discussing" it.

Again, I apologize for my poor attempt at humor, BUT cinder blocks are 16 inches +/- a 1/4 inch or so...

Lord Ash
04-28-2010, 07:16 AM
Jeez guys, I figured that my post would have been just silly enough to be seen as the joke it was meant to be! Hence the suggestions to check my math, etc... Sorry, but it must not have been as funny as I thought it would be. I have been know to lay an egg everyonce in a while! :)

Jim, I have tremendous respect for you and your basketball knowledge. Please let me assuure you that I am probably in the top 10 of LEAST anxious people on the board we it comes to recruits and worrying about silly things such as if someone is tall enough, or has a long enough reach, or whatever.

I have been a Duke fan for 40+ years and never once was I worried about a players size. In fact I would not have even posted this execpt it seemed ridiculous to me that so many people were "discussing" it.

Again, I apologize for my poor attempt at humor, BUT cinder blocks are 16 inches +/- a 1/4 inch or so...

Sense of humor, schmumor... I'm counting cinder blocks.

CDu
04-28-2010, 08:07 AM

Sorry I missed the joke part of your joke, oldnavy. However, I did pick up on the fact that you weren't worried about his height. I do apologize for mistakenly thinking you were honestly gushing about his wingspan. I guess one can read whatever they want to into the written word.

NSDukeFan
04-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Sorry I missed the joke part of your joke, oldnavy. However, I did pick up on the fact that you weren't worried about his height. I do apologize for mistakenly thinking you were honestly gushing about his wingspan. I guess one can read whatever they want to into the written word.

Are you saying you think Rivers is a Duke lean?;)

UrinalCake
04-28-2010, 10:25 AM

You're 5'6? You could have been our point guard last year!

superdave
04-28-2010, 10:25 AM
Are you saying you think Rivers is a Duke lean?;)

Do we have cinderblock-background photos of Rivers and Miller? I'm concerned about whether or not such photos would inform this board as to whether Duke should be recruiting them.

jimsumner
04-28-2010, 11:15 AM
oldNavy,

I recognized your attempts at levity and responded with my own feeble attempt at levity, which somehow led to a totally humorless discussion of the care and feeding of wingspan.

Oh, well. I still think cinder-block reach can become a new measuring stick for hoopsters. :)

jimsumner
04-28-2010, 11:16 AM
"You're 5'6? You could have been our point guard last year! "

Or maybe coach the big men?

BD80
04-28-2010, 11:37 AM

Oh, well. I still think cinder-block reach can become a new measuring stick for hoopsters. :)

But stones shall NOT be used as a measure of weight, it shall remain a measure of badass known as the Nate scale, i.e.:

Kyle's got STONES.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-28-2010, 02:07 PM
I don't understand this 5'6 joke... can someone explain?

El_Diablo
04-28-2010, 02:15 PM
I don't understand this 5'6 joke... can someone explain?

It's from the first page of the thread.

stickdog
04-28-2010, 02:16 PM

sweet

SilkyJ
04-28-2010, 03:05 PM

And some people are impossible to measure (Shane Battier) unless you are into the new stats revolution going on in the NBA.

Let's call that space between the blocks "SPACE". What if that cement is in fact caulk which is undoubtedly more easily compressed and so over time may in fact shrink the actual width of a cinder block + SPACE.

I'm glad we're sorting out all the variables here.

Isn't it reddickulous?

Unlike Top Gun, there's only one "d" in redick, boys.

BD80
04-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Could be, but he has no chance of overtaking Hansbrough for yards gained carrying a ball. Hansbrough has the NCAA record 8,753 yds, and he earned the yardage three or four steps at a time. The career record in NCAA football is a measley 8,073 yds. Granted, Hans traveled in 40 games per season, and thus averaged just over 50 ypg, but it is still considered to be one of the few truly unbeakable NCAA records.

JohnGalt
04-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Could be, but he has no chance of overtaking Hansbrough for yards gained carrying a ball. Hansbrough has the NCAA record 8,753 yds, and he earned the yardage three or four steps at a time. The career record in NCAA football is a measley 8,073 yds. Granted, Hans traveled in 40 games per season, and thus averaged just over 50 ypg, but it is still considered to be one of the few truly unbeakable NCAA records.

Don't forget about uncalled encroachment penalties resulting in bogus FTs.

I think he leads the history books in that category, as well.

Daniel tosh
04-28-2010, 03:38 PM
Let's get back to Tyler Adams here.Check out this interview with him.

http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/04/tyler-adams-future-blue-devil-reformed-duke-hater/

Duke of Nashville
04-28-2010, 03:58 PM

How many cinder blocks is that?

Can anyone remember a time when a recruit never visited the campus and committed? Atleast in Coach K's era?

roywhite
04-28-2010, 04:15 PM
Can anyone remember a time when a recruit never visited the campus and committed? Atleast in Coach K's era?

From the linked article:

HSH: This whole process was sort of quick, as far as recruitments go. Have you even visited Duke?

TA: Actually, no I haven’t. I’ve been down to the school for the Bob Gibbons Tournament and we played there at Duke a few times. But I haven’t been there for any type of official visit or anything.

Yeah, seems unusual, but playing on campus during the Gibbons tournament counts for something. Sounds like his Dad may have been in his ear pushing Duke, too.

Duke of Nashville
04-28-2010, 04:30 PM
From the linked article:

Yeah, seems unusual, but playing on campus during the Gibbons tournament counts for something. Sounds like his Dad may have been in his ear pushing Duke, too.

More than likely, but who's parents haven't? I forgot the Bob's tourny was in Cameron. I sure that experience was adequate enough to envision himself on campus and playing in Cameron. I guess the only thing I may be a bit concerned with is that on official visits don't recruits usually go to a class or two with some players? I would think that would be an important aspect for a kid who more thank likely is looking at being at school 2-4 years.

Thanks for posting the clips for the article by the way...

dukeblue225
04-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Does the signing of Tyler Adams mean that we're going to stop recruiting MPIII?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-28-2010, 09:52 PM
Does the signing of Tyler Adams mean that we're going to stop recruiting MPIII?

I think so, and if we do go after another big man it will be amir williams.

lotusland
04-28-2010, 10:09 PM
I think so, and if we do go after another big man it will be amir williams.

How can we quit recruiting Marshall if we offered a scholly? Did we rescind or
did he formally decline?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
I have no inside information, this is just the feeling I've gotten from reading the statements made by the "in" people on this board.

airowe
04-28-2010, 10:18 PM
How can we quit recruiting Marshall if we offered a scholly? Did we rescind or
did he formally decline?

Sometimes there is a mutual understanding between a recruit and a school. It doesn't necessarily mean that the school has quit recruiting them.

These are two-way streets being walked here.

Bo_Spice
04-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Very nice pick up, now if we can land Johnny O'Bryant I'd cry. I read somewhere he and Tyler Adams wanted to play together at the next level. If we landed both of those guys, and Austin Rivers our 2011 Team would be lethal can you say 3-peat lol

Looking a little too far ahead,

G - Kyrie Irving
G - Austin Rivers
G - Andre Dawkins
F - Johnny O'Bryant
F - Mason Plumlee/Miles Plumlee
6th - Seth Curry

SICK LINEUP

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-28-2010, 10:56 PM
Very nice pick up, now if we can land Johnny O'Bryant I'd cry. I read somewhere he and Tyler Adams wanted to play together at the next level. If we landed both of those guys, and Austin Rivers our 2011 Team would be lethal can you say 3-peat lol

Looking a little too far ahead,

G - Kyrie Irving
G - Austin Rivers
G - Andre Dawkins
F - Johnny O'Bryant
F - Mason Plumlee/Miles Plumlee
6th - Seth Curry

SICK LINEUP

That is a sick line-up but no offense to O'Bryant sure he is a great talent, but I'm more of a Quincy Miller type of guy.

hedevil
04-29-2010, 01:49 AM
I agree with Slopes. I hope Quincy picks Duke. However, if he (Miller) takes UK, I'd be happy to have O' Bryant.

oldnavy
04-29-2010, 06:48 AM

Now THAT is FUNNY!! He would certainly hold the record for the most times the "Brady late" hit rule was called as well, if there were a stat for such a thing.

oldnavy
04-29-2010, 06:53 AM
How many cinder blocks is that?

Well, the blocks themselves are just at 16 inches long, not to account for the mortar in between each block, so scientifically speaking, it's a butt load...

papa whiskey
04-29-2010, 06:59 AM
That is a sick line-up but no offense to O'Bryant sure he is a great talent, but I'm more of a Quincy Miller type of guy.

Agreed. Quincy is not only great but has the personality to be the next "most hated man in college basketball".

flyingdutchdevil
04-29-2010, 07:04 AM
That is a good point. Now that Scheyer is gone (who many liked, not loved, to hate), who is next on the Duke squad to be hated? Singler has never been hated, the Brothers Plumlee don't fit the bill, Nolan is too fun-loving to hate, Kyrie's athleticism will wow people, Seth is Stephen's little brother, Andre is too young-looking to be hated, Felix is too unknown (as is Hairston and Thornton).

Guess the haters will have to hate Coach K as usual

oldnavy
04-29-2010, 07:13 AM

Not a problem, it is all in good fun. I should have been a little more ridiculous in my OP to make sure that it was seen as humor. You are so right about the written word, and how tone and non verbal language makes such a difference.

But here is one thing I have been thinking about, sort of off subject, but remember just a year ago, the mood of the board. UNC had just won the NC, we had just learned that GH was leaving, EW was going to be leaving, we were down to two scholarship guards and there was just a semi gloomy outlook by most of us. Now compare that to this year. We are coming off the Natty, recruiting is better than good, almost great, Kyle is coming back, KI is coming in, UNC stunk (can never underestimate the good mood factor that carries)... Brings up two points. Fortunes change quickly in this sport, so enjoy the good times, but never get to the point where you feel that you're "entitled"! And NEVER, never underestimate the feel good factor of a UNC miserable season and the associated meltdowns!

username
04-29-2010, 07:15 AM
That is a good point. Now that Scheyer is gone (who many liked, not loved, to hate), who is next on the Duke squad to be hated? Singler has never been hated, the Brothers Plumlee don't fit the bill, Nolan is too fun-loving to hate, Kyrie's athleticism will wow people, Seth is Stephen's little brother, Andre is too young-looking to be hated, Felix is too unknown (as is Hairston and Thornton).

Guess the haters will have to hate Coach K as usual

What about Ryan Kelly, I think he's a perfect fit.

papa whiskey
04-29-2010, 07:36 AM
What about Ryan Kelly, I think he's a perfect fit.

With all due respect to Ryan Kelly, to hold that title you have to be able to drop 30 on any given night e.g. JJ, Christian, J-Will. While I would love for Kelly to be that type of guy, I just havn't seen it yet. I think Q-Miller COULD be that guy day one.

yancem
04-29-2010, 09:21 AM
With all due respect to Ryan Kelly, to hold that title you have to be able to drop 30 on any given night e.g. JJ, Christian, J-Will. While I would love for Kelly to be that type of guy, I just havn't seen it yet. I think Q-Miller COULD be that guy day one.

Wojo held the hated mantle back in the day and he never dropped 30 in a game. I do agree thought, for Kelly to take up the mantle he will need to become a starter and make some key, game deciding, type plays.

papa whiskey
04-29-2010, 09:26 AM
Wojo held the hated mantle back in the day and he never dropped 30 in a game. I do agree thought, for Kelly to take up the mantle he will need to become a starter and make some key, game deciding, type plays.

You are right. Wojo did hold the mantle but while not being a great scorer, he was the definitive face of the program. Again, with apologies to Ryan Kelly, he is not there yet.

CrazieDUMB
04-29-2010, 09:27 AM

Either that or just start slapping the floor, throw up a shocker after a three, or take some charges. The blueprint is there, it's up to him if he wants to fulfill it.

My personal favorite way to be hated is to take the Laettner route - no not gingerly stepping on someone. Winning back to back :D

papa whiskey
04-29-2010, 09:33 AM
My personal favorite way to be hated is to take the Laettner route - no not gingerly stepping on someone. Winning back to back :D

Well said.

UrinalCake
04-29-2010, 09:53 AM
I could see Nolan becoming the guy everyone hates. Not that it's in any way deserved, but he seems to have the most outgoing personality, is a bit of a showman, and talks some trash on the court. As a Duke fan I love it, but if opponents need a reason to hate someone then he sort of makes himself the easiest target. Plus he's going to be really really good 8-)

Duke of Nashville
04-29-2010, 09:55 AM
I could see Nolan becoming the guy everyone hates. Not that it's in any way deserved, but he seems to have the most outgoing personality, is a bit of a showman, and talks some trash on the court. As a Duke fan I love it, but if opponents need a reason to hate someone then he sort of makes himself the easiest target. Plus he's going to be really really good 8-)

and plus he kinda had me digging Miley Cyrus's song that he was so big on...which mean's I kind of hate him too.

atomicdukie
04-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Haven't seen it posted....didn't know Tyler WAS a Duke hater :D

Interview link:
http://www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/04/tyler-adams-future-blue-devil-reformed-duke-hater/

Kedsy
04-29-2010, 10:44 AM

Interview link:

Glad he changed his mind. My favorite part of the interview is this:

HSH: What are you averaging?
TA: I’m averaging about 10 points and 12 rebounds every game. With our team being so talented I go into games trying to see how many rebounds I can pull down. We’ve got a lot of scorers so I just concentrate on getting all the rebounds that I can.

Dev11
04-29-2010, 10:56 AM

I think Mason Plumlee is more positioned to be the hated one next year. At some point recently, there was a look-alikes thread on here and somebody posted a picture of Mason next to a picture of Lurch from the Addams Family, so he certainly has that goofy face thing going that people love to hate. Additionally, though he only did it twice this year, I would say that Mason's signature move is that reverse dunk with backboard slap action, followed by that taunting head nod that sort of says "Don't you wish you had the stones to do what I just did to you?" I forget which two games it happened in (I feel like one of them was at UNC), but I am sure that whomever is receiving that little move will not take it well.

Also, I'd like to respond to whomever said people don't really hate Singler. I encourage you to watch the Maryland game at Comcast from 2009, listen to the cheers, and confidently restate your assertion.

Huh?
04-29-2010, 11:37 AM

Interview link:

I'm liking this guy. Hopefully he comes in with the same mind set that he needs to get every rebound and set some good screens for Irving and Rivers. ;)

ncexnyc
04-29-2010, 11:41 AM
The most hated Duke player next season will be Kyle. A quick glance over at IC and you'll see he's already got several cute nicknames.

SilkyJ
04-29-2010, 12:34 PM
The most hated Duke player next season will be Kyle. A quick glance over at IC and you'll see he's already got several cute nicknames.

Agreed. I know lots of people who already hate him.

There are two main criteria: 1) Player must be white; 2) player must be the face of the program (either through being the best player or being the PG or both).

Who is white and a likely 1st team All American next year? SILKY SHMOOVE SINGLER

hedevil
04-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Jason Wlliams wasn't white. I don't remember Jason as having very many fans outside of Duke.

I do agree that it will be Singler though.

SilkyJ
04-29-2010, 12:46 PM
Jason Wlliams wasn't white. I don't remember Jason as having very many fans outside of Duke.

Fair enough. An exception to the rule. In that instance though, neither of our best players (Battier and JWill) nor our PG were white, so you had to settle for the best player AND PG I guess...though Battier may have been pretty hated as well.

Really its sad, but as dave chappelle taught us: haters gonna hate...

Duke79UNLV77
04-29-2010, 12:59 PM

When Duke-haters talk about their least hated Duke players, I frequently see Jason Williams' name near the top fo the list. He wasn't nearly as hated as Redick, Wojo, Laettner, Collins, etc.

ncexnyc
04-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Agreed. I know lots of people who already hate him.

There are two main criteria: 1) Player must be white; 2) player must be the face of the program (either through being the best player or being the PG or both).

Who is white and a likely 1st team All American next year? SILKY SHMOOVE SINGLER

I think you forgot ATTITUDE! Kyle definitely has that in spades. The kind of attitude that gets under your skin like a thousand fire ants. I wonder if the kids consider it an honor to be the, "Most Hated I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ie?"

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-29-2010, 01:15 PM
I think Singler will be the most hated. Since he plays with such intensity ... somewhat similar to that of Laettner ... I expect that he'll be hated in a similar manner. I look forward to his responding accordingly ... with a repeat national title and POY recognition!

Starter
04-29-2010, 01:19 PM

Not for nothing -- I find Jason to be one of the only Duke players anyone actually liked.

hedevil
04-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I do agree with pretty much everything said.

But I do remember Jason loving to play road games simply to silence hostile crowds (obviously opposing crowds are going to be hostile). While he was respected, I don't believe for a second that he was liked by many outside the Duke circle. Most of my friends who are not Duke supporters felt that Jason was cocky. I remember our arguments like they were yesterday.

Kedsy
04-29-2010, 01:54 PM
This is a Tyler Adams thread, right? Maybe we can take the "most hated Duke player" conversation into another thread?

hedevil
04-29-2010, 02:04 PM
Maybe in 2011 Tyler Adams will be the most hated Dukie.:D

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-29-2010, 04:25 PM
Maybe in 2011 Tyler Adams will be the most hated Dukie.:D

That would be great if it's because of his on court dominace.

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 11:09 PM
MaxPreps just came out with their 2011 Recruiting Rankings

Tyler Adams is ranked #39! (in front of Gbinije who was ranked 44)

other notables
Rivers - 2
Miller - 9
Plumlee - 81

I am glad to see Adams slide up the rankings!

hedevil
05-04-2010, 11:14 PM
I don't remember what rankings I saw it on, but I thought Gbinije was ranked #24 or somewhere around there. Oh well!

Good to see Tyler climbing.

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 11:17 PM
I don't remember what rankings I saw it on, but I thought Gbinije was ranked #24 or somewhere around there. Oh well!

Good to see Tyler climbing.

For Gbinije: 24 on espnu, 29 on rivals, 14 on scout

For Adams: Next stop, ESPNU 100

mattman91
05-04-2010, 11:22 PM
mean nothing. lets see how they play when they get on campus.... (yeah, i still brag about rankings anyway lol) But really why do people care about someone's random thoughts on who is ranked ahead of who.

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 11:26 PM
mean nothing. lets see how they play when they get on campus.... (yeah, i still brag about rankings anyway lol) But really why do people care about someone's random thoughts on who is ranked ahead of who.

It's not random...And during the offseason, its just something for us to do. It's kind of like a measure of their improvement. Rankings combined with video (or in tylers case, lack their of) and scouting reports is pretty much all we have to go on at this point and I dont see the problem with getting excited about a recruit. (especially one thats already a commited devil)

hedevil
05-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Thanks.

I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.haha

hedevil
05-04-2010, 11:36 PM
I go with whichever rankings serve my mindset best.

Maxpreps: Adams #39
Scout: Gbinje #14

Those are my rankings right there.:)

MisterRoddy
05-04-2010, 11:44 PM
I go with whichever rankings serve my mindset best.

Maxpreps: Adams #39
Scout: Gbinje #14

Those are my rankings right there.:)

Hmm, I could see myself subscribing to that tactic.

DevilHorns
05-04-2010, 11:53 PM
What an awesome pick-up. What does our big man situation look like when Mr. Adams enters the building? I wonder if he will be asked to contribute significant minutes right away. I'm not sure about Mason's plans, but given his high draft ceiling I wouldn't be surprised if he tests the NBA waters as an underclassman.

MisterRoddy
05-05-2010, 12:13 AM
What an awesome pick-up. What does our big man situation look like when Mr. Adams enters the building? I wonder if he will be asked to contribute significant minutes right away. I'm not sure about Mason's plans, but given his high draft ceiling I wouldn't be surprised if he tests the NBA waters as an underclassman.

Well, the way it shapes up:

PF Mason Plumlee (if he stays) - JR
C Miles Plumlee - SR
PF Ryan Kelly - JR
PF Josh Hairston - SO
C Tyler Adams - FR

We still have some big men on our radar for 2011 also:
SF/PF Quincy Miller
C Marshall Plumlee
C Amir Williams

airowe
05-05-2010, 04:05 PM
http://rivals.yahoo.com/video/recruiting-basketball/tyler-adams-highlights-254481?NICK_NAME=airowe&LEVEL=2&TIME=1273089569&SIG=4978c41202143e7d3218344709e8f0ab

ChicagoCrazy84
05-05-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, the way it shapes up:

PF Mason Plumlee (if he stays) - JR
C Miles Plumlee - SR
PF Ryan Kelly - JR
PF Josh Hairston - SO
C Tyler Adams - FR

We still have some big men on our radar for 2011 also:
SF/PF Quincy Miller
C Marshall Plumlee
C Amir Williams

A lot could happen between now and then, but where would Quincy or Williams/Plumlee fit? Even if Mason leaves (which is very possible), we have 2 serviceable centers and 2 quality PF in Hairston and Kelly. Not to mention Gbinije and Felix if we wanted to go small. I tend to think Rivers and Quinn Cook are our main targets now.

Big Pappa
05-05-2010, 04:46 PM
A lot could happen between now and then, but where would Quincy or Williams/Plumlee fit? Even if Mason leaves (which is very possible), we have 2 serviceable centers and 2 quality PF in Hairston and Kelly. Not to mention Gbinije and Felix if we wanted to go small. I tend to think Rivers and Quinn Cook are our main targets now.

I'm not sure about Williams or Plumlee but Q fits wherever he wants. He can play the 2, 3, or 4. Miller is an impact player who, IMO, would start from day 1. He reminds me a lot of Kevin Durant when he was at Texas.

Obviously this is a highlight video but it is mostly of one game and interview. I think you can tell plenty from it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLqhbmlCkrs

Kedsy
05-05-2010, 05:28 PM

Well, it's easy to say we don't need more frontcourt players with a potential frontcourt of Plumlee, Plumlee, Kelly, Hairston, Adams, and Miller.

But remember our potential backcourt is Irving, Curry, Dawkins, Gbinije, Felix, Thornton, and Rivers, we sure don't need another backcourt player either.

I expect if we fill the last two scholarship spots it will be with the best two players available, which would be Rivers and Miller, IMO.

Greg_Newton
06-22-2010, 11:09 PM
Supposedly Tyler measured in at a legit 6'9 (sans shoes) at the NBA camp, and judging from the below pic, I'd say he's found the weight room. Dude is gonna be an absolute stud for a freshman in '11.

(Picture here - I can't for the life of me figure out how to resize pictures on this board, and it shows up enormous) (http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/adams.jpg)

Not sure if Senor Watzone posted this, but it also looks like BDN has a new article up on him too (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/bdn-checks-in-with-duke-commitment-tyler-adams/) (premium, but you can read a teaser)

rotogod00
06-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Adams just checked in at #84 in ESPN's updated top 100.

Jderf
06-23-2010, 08:19 AM

Anybody know what his previous ranking was (or if he was ranked)?

CrazieDUMB
06-23-2010, 08:48 AM

I'm happy to see that, but you have to wonder if he would have risen so much in the rankings if it weren't for Duke. Is this a case of Duke finding an underrated player and locking him up or a solid player that gets the Duke boost?

Regardless, he's a Dukie and I'm really excited to see him mature over next year and especially once he's in Cameron

rotogod00
06-23-2010, 09:12 AM
Anybody know what his previous ranking was (or if he was ranked)?

was outside the top 100

rotogod00
06-23-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm happy to see that, but you have to wonder if he would have risen so much in the rankings if it weren't for Duke. Is this a case of Duke finding an underrated player and locking him up or a solid player that gets the Duke boost?

Regardless, he's a Dukie and I'm really excited to see him mature over next year and especially once he's in Cameron

not sure, but he was given a pretty solid assessment along with his improved ranking. here it is (behind the insider wall):

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=67019&season=2011

MisterRoddy
06-23-2010, 09:20 AM

To answer rotogod, no Tyler Adams was not ranked in ESPN's Super 60.

And to answer this poster, Tyler Adams really hasn't risen that much in the rankings other than Maxpreps. ESPN has him at 84th, lower than Rivals' 81 before hw commited to us (he's at 67 now.)

Could be my blue shades but I think he deserves higher than 84th because it looks like he's a heckuva player, regardless, they (scouts) will find out just how good Tyler is soon enough.

sagegrouse
06-23-2010, 09:26 AM

Yes and yes.

It would be ideal if the recruting rankings were "juried" systems where an independent panel gets to see every really good HS player under controlled conditions. But, of course, nothing could be further from the truth. The recruiting services and rankings operate on a shoestring and use all the information they can get their hands on to compile their rankings.

This includes:

a. Their direct observations of the players, limited as it must be.

b. The opinions of other observers or coaches who see a lot of HS players and are willing to share their opinions.

c. The rankings compiled by their competitors (I mean, it's valuable info; why wouldn't they use it?).

d. The reflected glory HS players get from being offered scholarships by one of the top programs -- Kansas, Kentucky, Duke, UNC. The opinion of these programs is also useful information.

Therefore, the offering of scholarships by Duke will affect the rankings of a recruit outside the top 50 or 100 playersin previous rankings.

sagegrouse
'This ain't evil. This is business'

airowe
06-23-2010, 10:46 AM

One of the bigger knocks on Tyler's game was his lack of conditioning. The Duke staff has him on a workout regimen that he is very dedicated to and he says it has already started to pay dividends. He's improving his strength and agility and turning some of his bad weight into muscle. Not surprising to see a slight bump in the rankings because of a renewed emphasis on his workout regimen.

I don't think Tyler will ever be ranked real high unless he really improves his offensive arsenal. He's reportedly working on his mid-range game as wellas his footwork and moves around the basket. He'll probably always be overshadowed on his AAU team by Johnny O'Bryant as well, which will cause him to stay slightly under the radar.

Big Pappa
06-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Supposedly Tyler measured in at a legit 6'9 (sans shoes) at the NBA camp, and judging from the below pic, I'd say he's found the weight room. Dude is gonna be an absolute stud for a freshman in '11.

(Picture here - I can't for the life of me figure out how to resize pictures on this board, and it shows up enormous) (http://bluedevilnation.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/adams.jpg)

Not sure if Senor Watzone posted this, but it also looks like BDN has a new article up on him too (http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/06/bdn-checks-in-with-duke-commitment-tyler-adams/) (premium, but you can read a teaser)

Here is a good article about Adams and the overall value of big men in college basketball from the Charlotte Observer:

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/06/21/1514716/big-recruits-can-lead-to-big-things.html

ChicagoCrazy84
06-23-2010, 01:09 PM
One of the bigger knocks on Tyler's game was his lack of conditioning. The Duke staff has him on a workout regimen that he is very dedicated to and he says it has already started to pay dividends. He's improving his strength and agility and turning some of his bad weight into muscle. Not surprising to see a slight bump in the rankings because of a renewed emphasis on his workout regimen.

I don't think Tyler will ever be ranked real high unless he really improves his offensive arsenal. He's reportedly working on his mid-range game as wellas his footwork and moves around the basket. He'll probably always be overshadowed on his AAU team by Johnny O'Bryant as well, which will cause him to stay slightly under the radar.

Really? I was expecting an Eric Bledsoe or Enes Kanter type jump :D

BD80
06-23-2010, 01:28 PM
... The recruiting services and rankings operate on a shoestring and use all the information they can get their hands on to compile their rankings.

This includes:

a. Their direct observations of the players, limited as it must be.

b. The opinions of other observers or coaches who see a lot of HS players ...

c. The rankings compiled by their competitors ...

d. [U]The reflected glory HS players get from being offered scholarships by one of the top programs ...

sagegrouse
'This ain't evil. This is business'

Close, but still missing the most important factor in rankings ...

... I don't think Tyler will ever be ranked real high unless he really improves his offensive arsenal. ...

That's a BINGO!

Actually it is just raw numbers, it doesn't really matter how the numbers get there. Rankings are predictibly similar to a listing of top scorers, assist givers and rebounders.

I guy like Tyler can be one of the 10 "best" players in terms of winning a game and still be ranked 84th. There is only one ball, so a team doesn't really need the five best offensive players in the world. I hope Tyler is like Z in defending the paint, setting picks and getting rebounds. If he adds some offensive moves, that will be a bonus for us.

jipops
06-23-2010, 01:30 PM
If Tyler can defend or develop into a very good defender to go along with his size, reported massive strength and rebounding ability - then he is going to be huge for us. It doesn't matter to me where he is ranked.

It was nice to see us actually out-muscle teams in the paint this past season. I look forward to us being able to do that again in the future with a guy like Tyler.

Jderf
06-23-2010, 03:25 PM
not sure, but he was given a pretty solid assessment along with his improved ranking. here it is (behind the insider wall):

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=67019&season=2011

Yea, but with ESPN, you always have to be wary; the level of sophistication that goes into their website design is several orders of magnitude higher than their actual content. I can totally see the conversation that went into Tyler's "assessment:"

"Hey, where should I put this Tyler Adams guy?"
"Never heard of him. Unranked."
"But he just scored a scholarship from Duke."
"Oh. Umm, okay then. What's he like?"
"A little undersized, but built and tough."
"Hmm, write up little blurb of about four sentences on that, and then, let's see, get him in there somewhere at, say, 84."
"Got it."

Can't wait to see Tyler in Duke blue; he seems like a good kid and a worker who earns everything he gets. The guys over at ESPN, on the other hand...

amat1129
06-24-2010, 02:55 AM
Yea, but with ESPN, you always have to be wary; the level of sophistication that goes into their website design is several orders of magnitude higher than their actual content.

totally agree, i hate espn's rating out of a hundred for each player, it provides no insight to a players strengths and weaknesses

rotogod00
06-24-2010, 08:26 AM
totally agree, i hate espn's rating out of a hundred for each player, it provides no insight to a players strengths and weaknesses

Insider provides you with all that information