PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Adams to Georgetown

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Lord Ash
10-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Mase needs to look no further than Josh McRoberts to see what happens when you jump to the NBA too early based on potential.

You become an NBA starter?

:)

Joking of course, but...

Adam, Jason, thanks for the input. I hadn't considered that Duke cannot comment on unsigned recruits. I suppose in the world of "OMG did you see what so-and-so said they had for breakfast on twitter?!" it just felt a bit... well, different that the Adams news seemed to come to light SO slowly, and in such a round-about, indirect way (Adams showing up at Georgetowns Midnight Madness event seemingly to the surprise of everyone, etc.)

CharlestonDevil
10-27-2010, 11:25 AM
I'm going to disagree with the part that I bolded. When you actually look at the numbers, Miles was our second most efficient rebounder behind Brian. Mason as a freshman was our third most efficient rebounder, ahead of both Singler and Thomas on a "per 40" basis. Singler played on the wing, limiting his opportunities to rebound or I think he'd be better than Mason though not as good as Miles.

I expect both of them to improve in rebounding, Miles due to the improvement in strength, Mason from understanding the game better.

Of course, many on the board made these same arguments about Brian for three years, so take it for what its worth. :rolleyes:

While those numbers may be true for their place on the team, it is clearly evident (go watch the UNC at Duke game where Miles and Mason were matched up against less than phsically imposing post players) and see how they struggled to secure rebounds or put shots back up.

That being said... it took Zoubs 4 years to learn the importance of positioning, but when he got it, he got it. All the more reason Mason should stay 4 years to develop his game!

And yes, look at the difference in Miles' muscle mass from last year. You can tell the staff wants him to be a banger.

Devilsfan
10-27-2010, 11:28 AM
I have thought for a long time that JT uses Duke's elite cultural and academic status and the recruits fit as he "paints" it when we go head to head. Just MHO.

Ultrarunner
10-27-2010, 11:56 AM
While those numbers may be true for their place on the team, it is clearly evident (go watch the UNC at Duke game where Miles and Mason were matched up against less than phsically imposing post players) and see how they struggled to secure rebounds or put shots back up.

That being said... it took Zoubs 4 years to learn the importance of positioning, but when he got it, he got it. All the more reason Mason should stay 4 years to develop his game!

And yes, look at the difference in Miles' muscle mass from last year. You can tell the staff wants him to be a banger.

I think it took about 3 years for Brian to get healthy more than learning positioning but that argument is over.

Specifically addressing rebounding, Miles was very efficient against UNC and out-rebounded Zeller in the last game, 4-1. His time was limited by fouls unfortunately. On a per minute basis, he trailed Zoubs (almost a rebound per minute!) and Lance Thomas. Mason played but didn't score or rebound in the game.

One problem with using a single game to build an argument is that a single case can refute it, so let's look at the game at Chapel Hill.

Mason went for 9 rebounds and 7 points in the first game at UNC in 27 minutes. Combined, the brothers accounted for 15 rebounds and 9 points in 40 minutes of play.

Based on last years numbers and assuming absolutely no improvement, the brothers should average about 11 pts and 10.6 rebounds per game. That's based on 40 minutes total, 20 minutes each. I think that we'd be very happy to have the post position consistently rack up a double/double.

The truth is that both will likely improve, Mason more than Miles as he makes that jump from frosh to soph. Miles though shows signs of making a jump himself. At some point this season, I expect the brothers to carry us in a game. Will they both average double/doubles? No, but they don't need to on this team. I fully expect them to average 15-18 points and 14-18 rebounds per game.

CharlestonDevil
10-27-2010, 12:31 PM
I think it took about 3 years for Brian to get healthy more than learning positioning but that argument is over.

Specifically addressing rebounding, Miles was very efficient against UNC and out-rebounded Zeller in the last game, 4-1. His time was limited by fouls unfortunately. On a per minute basis, he trailed Zoubs (almost a rebound per minute!) and Lance Thomas. Mason played but didn't score or rebound in the game.

One problem with using a single game to build an argument is that a single case can refute it, so let's look at the game at Chapel Hill.

Mason went for 9 rebounds and 7 points in the first game at UNC in 27 minutes. Combined, the brothers accounted for 15 rebounds and 9 points in 40 minutes of play.

Based on last years numbers and assuming absolutely no improvement, the brothers should average about 11 pts and 10.6 rebounds per game. That's based on 40 minutes total, 20 minutes each. I think that we'd be very happy to have the post position consistently rack up a double/double.

The truth is that both will likely improve, Mason more than Miles as he makes that jump from frosh to soph. Miles though shows signs of making a jump himself. At some point this season, I expect the brothers to carry us in a game. Will they both average double/doubles? No, but they don't need to on this team. I fully expect them to average 15-18 points and 14-18 rebounds per game.

I agree with you. (And I was referencing the UNC game only b/c I happened to be watching it the other day and had to find something to nit-pick about.)

but back to Adams... If it is true this was a done deal several weeks ago, why do you think Duke didn't make more of a push to land Quincy Miller. Would've been a great 1 year addition in light of knowing Adams won't be around.

ice-9
10-27-2010, 12:51 PM
When Rivers decommitted from Florida but still had Florida on his "list", we heard over and over again that rarely, if ever, would a decommit recommit. Florida's presence on Rivers' list was a red herring.

Now that Tyler has decommitted, wouldn't we all just prefer closure? It's obvious Georgetown is in the lead, and some reports indicate the parting wasn't exactly one way either.

Personally, I prefer to see this thread locked and buried.

Next play.

(Cook for Duke!)

Nugget
10-27-2010, 12:52 PM
I agree with you. (And I was referencing the UNC game only b/c I happened to be watching it the other day and had to find something to nit-pick about.)

but back to Adams... If it is true this was a done deal several weeks ago, why do you think Duke didn't make more of a push to land Quincy Miller. Would've been a great 1 year addition in light of knowing Adams won't be around.

I saw Adams play several games this summer and in no way did it appear to me that he would have any possibility of playing meaningful minutes for Duke as a freshman. I can't imagine that the coaching staff placed any real weight on their decision about how hard to recruit Miller on whether Adams was going to be next year's team or not.

Kong did ask what to me is the right question about the Adams recruitment -- what has it cost Duke by accepting his committment when we did, in the sense of losing the opportunity to recruit other power players in the class.

In glancing at the consensus rankings (and agreeing with whoever made the point above that the 2011 class is relatively week at the C and PF positions), it seems to me that taking a commitment from Adams basically had no impact at all with regard to either (i) Duke's decision to recruit or not recruit, or (ii) our chances to land, the highest ranked PFs or Cs in this class, such as Anthony Davis, Qunicy Miller, UNC's James McAdoo, Johnny O'Bryant, Rakeem Christmas or Cody Zeller -- we either were not going after those guys at all or wouldn't have gotten them if we did.

At most, I could speculate that, had we not been committed to Adams, we might have pursued harder one of the following:

Kyle Wiltjer - who really blew up this summer before committing to Kentucky

Amir Williams - still uncommitted, maybe we might resume recruiting him?

Mikael Hopkins -Mike G's AAU teammate, recently committed to Georgetown.

Desmond Hubert -- looking at Villanova, Maryland, Wake and Georgia Tech?

I don't recall ever seeing Wiltjer express interest in Duke. The other three might well have been interested if we hadn't taken the commmitment from Adams. Would we have gotten them? Would the Duke staff have even wanted them? Obviously hard to say.

Cockabeau
10-27-2010, 01:46 PM
I saw Adams play several games this summer and in no way did it appear to me that he would have any possibility of playing meaningful minutes for Duke as a freshman. I can't imagine that the coaching staff placed any real weight on their decision about how hard to recruit Miller on whether Adams was going to be next year's team or not.

Kong did ask what to me is the right question about the Adams recruitment -- what has it cost Duke by accepting his committment when we did, in the sense of losing the opportunity to recruit other power players in the class.

In glancing at the consensus rankings (and agreeing with whoever made the point above that the 2011 class is relatively week at the C and PF positions), it seems to me that taking a commitment from Adams basically had no impact at all with regard to either (i) Duke's decision to recruit or not recruit, or (ii) our chances to land, the highest ranked PFs or Cs in this class, such as Anthony Davis, Qunicy Miller, UNC's James McAdoo, Johnny O'Bryant, Rakeem Christmas or Cody Zeller -- we either were not going after those guys at all or wouldn't have gotten them if we did.

At most, I could speculate that, had we not been committed to Adams, we might have pursued harder one of the following:

I don't recall ever seeing Wiltjer express interest in Duke. The other three might well have been interested if we hadn't taken the commmitment from Adams. Would we have gotten them? Would the Duke staff have even wanted them? Obviously hard to say.

I still say Tony Parker...

Acymetric
10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I still say Tony Parker...

A guy who is in a different recruiting class and probably would have had no concerns over beating out Adams for playing time (a comment on Parker's ability, not Adams)? Care to support that with anything other than speculation that doesn't appear to be based on anything whatsoever?

CharlestonDevil
10-27-2010, 03:11 PM
I saw Adams play several games this summer and in no way did it appear to me that he would have any possibility of playing meaningful minutes for Duke as a freshman. I can't imagine that the coaching staff placed any real weight on their decision about how hard to recruit Miller on whether Adams was going to be next year's team or not.Kong did ask what to me is the right question about the Adams recruitment -- what has it cost Duke by accepting his committment when we did, in the sense of losing the opportunity to recruit other power players in the class.

When considering the overall recruitment of the players you mentioned then you are exactly right, BUT...

In the weeks leading up to this scenario, if Adams is about to decommit (or already has depending on the timeline) and Quincy is still available (and had Duke in his final 3) it would only make sense to make a harder push for Quincy. Not only was he much more highly rated he would also fill that scholarship that probably will not be used now.

Cockabeau
10-27-2010, 03:16 PM
A guy who is in a different recruiting class and probably would have had no concerns over beating out Adams for playing time (a comment on Parker's ability, not Adams)? Care to support that with anything other than speculation that doesn't appear to be based on anything whatsoever?

Yes. 1)Parker likes Duke alot. 2)He has an offer. 3)Duke doesn't need a banger for the 2011 class cause we have Miles Plumlee.

rhcpflea99
10-27-2010, 03:18 PM
Good luck Tyler!!!!

airowe
10-27-2010, 03:20 PM
When considering the overall recruitment of the players you mentioned then you are exactly right, BUT...

In the weeks leading up to this scenario, if Adams is about to decommit (or already has depending on the timeline) and Quincy is still available (and had Duke in his final 3) it would only make sense to make a harder push for Quincy. Not only was he much more highly rated he would also fill that scholarship that probably will not be used now.

Adams coming or not coming had nothing to do with Quincy Miller coming or not coming to Duke.

airowe
10-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Yes. 1)Parker likes Duke alot. 2)He has an offer. 3)Duke doesn't need a banger for the 2011 class cause we have Miles Plumlee.

1) True
2) Not technically, but I doubt Duke would turn him away.
3) Duke needs bigs to replace Miles and Mason when they leave. Because very few of them (bigs) are ready to produce in their Freshman seasons, it would be nice for Duke to get at least one in the loaded '12 class, preferably more than one.

superdave
10-27-2010, 03:35 PM
it would be nice for Duke to get at least one in the loaded '12 class, preferably more than one.

So who are the '12 targets besides Tony Parker?

Also, any chance we'll give a serious look at Amir Williams in the next few months?

airowe
10-27-2010, 03:57 PM
So who are the '12 targets besides Tony Parker?

Also, any chance we'll give a serious look at Amir Williams in the next few months?

I doubt it on Amir.

The other big man target for 2012 right now is Kaleb Tarczewski. Some seem to think he'll be hard to pull away from Kansas as they've been on him for a while now.

Others seem to think Amile Jefferson could play the power forward role at Duke, but as of right now, the last thing you could call him is a banger. Alex Murphy should grow at least one more inch as both his brother and father are 6'10". Maybe he could play that role...

On top of that, it's still relatively early. I'm sure names will pop up a lot between now and this time next year.

Acymetric
10-27-2010, 04:34 PM

I was asking you to substantiate the idea that taking the Adams commit affected our ability to get Parker, since you mentioned Tony Parker after quoting a post about how taking the Adams commitment affected our chances of landing some other players.

dukeimac
10-27-2010, 05:39 PM
People talk about Tyler being a big and how nice it would to have him. If he can't hack it, grades or otherwise, why is it so important we get him. The guy wasn't rated in the top 100. I know Coach K saw something in him he liked but this leaves him time to develop someone else. I'm sure Coach K can think of another viable option.

We have Miles, Mason and Kelly, Harriston, Marshall and they are working on someone in 2012. When Miles goes they get someone in 2012 to fill the open whole. Mason didn't show me anything last year that makes me feel he is ready to jump. I think he is a level headed guy and unless he has an absolutely great year he won't be going anywhere.

This is why no one should ever get over excited about a guy who verbally commits. I think the folks in Florida will tell you that. I'm not sold on anyone, not even Austin, coming to Duke until they sign on the doted line.

Something tells me, if he opts out of Duke, he might be having issues with filling big shoes.

quota
10-27-2010, 07:08 PM
Can I just say, for the record, that this thread is a perfect example of when merging threads is a bad idea.

There should have been a new thread for the official announcement of the Tyler Adams de-commitment. I don't have the time or energy to sift through 25 pages of posts to find when and in what context the announcement was made. Sometimes you can do that by going to the last page, but not in this case today.

It makes for a sloppy experience and really wish the moderators would reconsider the policy. Really makes it hard to be a part of the community unless you visit 12 times a day.

CameronBornAndBred
10-27-2010, 07:15 PM
Can I just say, for the record, that this thread is a perfect example of when merging threads is a bad idea.

In defense of the mods http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/13.gif (http://crazietalk.net/ourhouse/posting.php?mode=post&f=3#) it was never two threads (that I know of), the title was changed after numerous posts about Tyler's decommitment.

JohnGalt
10-27-2010, 07:18 PM

How many 5s in 2012 will be ready to step right in - as a frosh - and fill a departing senior's shoes?

Cockabeau
10-27-2010, 07:21 PM
I was asking you to substantiate the idea that taking the Adams commit affected our ability to get Parker, since you mentioned Tony Parker after quoting a post about how taking the Adams commitment affected our chances of landing some other players.

Sorry. What I was trying to say is that out of our remaining options Tony Parker is the most likely big we go after next. I don't like our chances with Kaleb or Amir Williams.

CharlestonDevil
10-27-2010, 09:08 PM
Adams coming or not coming had nothing to do with Quincy Miller coming or not coming to Duke.

I never said they were linked. I was wondering why the Duke staff didn't make a harder push for QM if they knew Adams scholarship was freed up.

Cockabeau
10-27-2010, 09:20 PM
Had nothing to do with TA. The relationship started to sour with the whole self promotion,twitter and duece bello thing

airowe
10-27-2010, 09:25 PM
I never said they were linked. I was wondering why the Duke staff didn't make a harder push for QM if they knew Adams scholarship was freed up.

What I'm saying is the scholarship that Adams would have been projected to fill was not a limiting factor in how hard Duke recruited Quincy Miller.

The two are not related.

airowe
10-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Had nothing to do with TA. The relationship started to sour with the whole self promotion,twitter and duece bello thing

That's not what I heard.

dukeimac
10-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm confused by the thinking here or maybe the lack of it.

Why would Duke need someone to step in the year after Miles leaves? They might still have Mason, and likely to have Kelly, Harriston and Marshall. There shouldn't be a need for someone to step right into Miles shoes.

Maybe the reason why Duke gave up on QM was something he said to them that they didn't like. Just when did the Duke coaching staff start telling everyone what they think, see or heard about? Just because he is a stud basketball player doesn't mean they fit into Duke's plans.

In Coach K I trust. Absolutely no reason to question anything they do, at least not until you have coached 4 teams to a national title. I don't think Roy should even question a thing Coach K does.

Duvall
10-27-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm confused by the thinking here or maybe the lack of it.

Why would Duke need someone to step in the year after Miles leaves? They might still have Mason, and likely to have Kelly, Harriston and Marshall. There shouldn't be a need for someone to step right into Miles shoes.

Be nice to have more than three players over 6'8".

Greg_Newton
10-27-2010, 10:57 PM

Or more than two, as Mason is likely gone and Hairston is 6'7. In addition, Marshall is nowhere near ACC playing weight and I doubt he'll be on the level we'd like our 2nd or 3rd post player to be at as a sophomore.

Ideally, we get either Parker or Kaleb out of the 2012 class, and/or we get Murphy, who may well be big enough to be a stretch PF as a freshman. If I had to take a wild (and optimistic) guess, I'd guess we'd see Sr. Kelly-Fr. Murphy- Jr. Hairston starting at the 3 big positions in 2012, with So. Marshall and Fr. Parker/Kaleb/TBA backing up the 4 and 5. I'd be quite happy with that post rotation.

Kedsy
10-28-2010, 12:07 AM
Or more than two, as Mason is likely gone and Hairston is 6'7. In addition, Marshall is nowhere near ACC playing weight and I doubt he'll be on the level we'd like our 2nd or 3rd post player to be at as a sophomore.

Ideally, we get either Parker or Kaleb out of the 2012 class, and/or we get Murphy, who may well be big enough to be a stretch PF as a freshman. If I had to take a wild (and optimistic) guess, I'd guess we'd see Sr. Kelly-Fr. Murphy- Jr. Hairston starting at the 3 big positions in 2012, with So. Marshall and Fr. Parker/Kaleb/TBA backing up the 4 and 5. I'd be quite happy with that post rotation.

Obviously it will depend on our personnel, but it's also quite possible (perhaps even probable) that Andre or Mike Gb will play SF, meaning our "3 big positions" would only be two positions, which would make it even less essential that we have a host of bigs.

johnb
10-28-2010, 12:51 AM
These ratings make us look pretty good...

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top-NBA-Draft-Prospects-in-the-ACC-Part-One-1-5--3573/

Top non-Freshman NBA Prospects in the ACC
1. Mason Plumlee, Duke
2. Chris Singleton, Florida State
3. John Henson, North Carolina
4. Kyle Singler, Duke
5. Nolan Smith, Duke
6. Tyler Zeller, North Carolina
7. Xavier Gibson. Florida State
8. Iman Shumpert, Georgia Tech
9. Ari Stewart, Wake Forest
10. Durand Scott, Miami
11. Andre Dawkins, Duke
12. Mfon Udoifa, Georgia Tech
13. Seth Curry, Duke
14. Michael Snaer, Florida State
15. Dexter Strickland, North Carolina
16. Miles Plumlee, Duke
17. Jordan Williams, Maryland
18. DeQuan Jones, Miami
19. Milton Jennings, Clemson
20. Leslie McDonald, North Carolina

Kdogg
10-28-2010, 08:37 AM

We've gone to Final Fours with less. The 1999 team comes to mind. It would have been nice to have a banger but we will manage. Good luck to Tyler where ever he lands.

johnb
10-28-2010, 08:40 AM
We've gone to Final Fours with less. The 1999 team comes to mind. It would have been nice to have a banger but we will manage. Good luck to Tyler where ever he lands.

If Elton Brand, jr, arrives on campus, we can probably make do with a short guy in the middle.

Kdogg
10-28-2010, 09:29 AM
If Elton Brand, jr, arrives on campus, we can probably make do with a short guy in the middle.

That was just the first team to come to mind. Duke 1986, 1988, 1991, 1994 all had only a few "big" men. Even when we have three to four big guys over 6'8" it has been rare that more then two get significant playing time. Last year was the exception not the rule.

Skitzle
10-28-2010, 10:18 AM

In 2010 we only had 3 guys in the rotation over 6' 8".

2010 was a very good year.

johnb
10-28-2010, 01:40 PM
Is it true that Tyler hasn't even visited the campus?

Bluedog
10-28-2010, 01:52 PM
Is it true that Tyler hasn't even visited the campus?

No. He visited once reportedly.

D.C. Devil
10-28-2010, 02:04 PM
No. He visited once reportedly.

As of his commitment, he hadn't taken an official visit to Duke. I also hadn't heard of him taking an official after his commitment, though it's possible I missed that.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jfFkvppvR8wJ:www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/04/tyler-adams-future-blue-devil-reformed-duke-hater/+tyler+adams+%22official+visit%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox
HSH: This whole process was sort of quick, as far as recruitments go. Have you even visited Duke?
TA: Actually, no I haven’t. I’ve been down to the school for the Bob Gibbons Tournament and we played there at Duke a few times. But I haven’t been there for any type of official visit or anything.

Bluedog
10-28-2010, 02:47 PM
As of his commitment, he hadn't taken an official visit to Duke. I also hadn't heard of him taking an official after his commitment, though it's possible I missed that.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:jfFkvppvR8wJ:www.highschoolhoop.com/recruiting-news/2010/04/tyler-adams-future-blue-devil-reformed-duke-hater/+tyler+adams+%22official+visit%22&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us&client=firefox
HSH: This whole process was sort of quick, as far as recruitments go. Have you even visited Duke?
TA: Actually, no I haven’t. I’ve been down to the school for the Bob Gibbons Tournament and we played there at Duke a few times. But I haven’t been there for any type of official visit or anything.

I believe you're correct that he never went on an official visit - it was unofficial. That article was from April, so he certainly could have come to Duke in the meantime. I'm just relying on airowe for the fact that he did in fact visit Duke once:

Just to clear a couple things up, Tyler visited Duke one time.

He certainly knows more than me.

airowe
10-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I was told that he did, and I believe it was while I was on my honeymoon which would have been the end of June, beginning of July.

cato
10-28-2010, 03:54 PM
That was just the first team to come to mind. Duke 1986, 1988, 1991, 1994 all had only a few "big" men. Even when we have three to four big guys over 6'8" it has been rare that more then two get significant playing time. Last year was the exception not the rule.

So, as long as we have a player like Elton Brand, Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, or Danny Ferry, we'll be cool? Got it.

Kedsy
10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
So, as long as we have a player like Elton Brand, Grant Hill, Christian Laettner, or Danny Ferry, we'll be cool? Got it.

What about Patrick Davidson?

striker219
10-28-2010, 09:57 PM

Wait, what? I count six. Unless you mean 2010-2011, where I'm still counting four, plus Josh Hairston at 6'7".

SCMatt33
10-28-2010, 10:04 PM
Wait, what? I count six. Unless you mean 2010-2011, where I'm still counting four, plus Josh Hairston at 6'7".

The operative word was over. Of course, if you drop the criteria to over 6'7.999999999999", that's another story.

striker219
10-28-2010, 10:06 PM
The operative word was over. Of course, if you drop the criteria to over 6'7.999999999999", that's another story.

10-4, over and out.

Bob Green
10-28-2010, 11:58 PM

Like striker219, I count six: Brian Zoubek, Lance Thomas, Kyle Singler, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. What am I missing?

Kedsy
10-28-2010, 11:59 PM
Like striker219, I count six: Brian Zoubek, Lance Thomas, Kyle Singler, Miles Plumlee, Mason Plumlee and Ryan Kelly. What am I missing?

You're missing that Kyle and Lance were 6'8", not over 6'8", and that Ryan was not really in the rotation. The guy who said three specifically mentioned "over" and "in the rotation."

Bob Green
10-29-2010, 12:00 AM
You're missing that Kyle and Lance were 6'8", not over 6'8", and that Ryan was not really in the rotation. The guy who said three specifically mentioned "over" and "in the rotation."

Ah, semantics...the devil is in the details.

chrisheery
10-29-2010, 12:03 AM
Ah, semantics...the devil is in the details.

The devil is in the details about the devils.

Skitzle
10-29-2010, 09:43 AM

Bingo.

Really though here's what it comes down to. Tyler Adams wasn't an important recruit and his de-commitment doesn't matter.

Take for instance the fact that the 2009 loss of Harrison Barnes has had 0 effect on our potential to win in 2010.

Similarly the 2010 loss Tyler Adams won't matter in 2011-2012-2013-2014. We have time to recruit someone else, who will probably be a better fit. We'll be fine. If I was a mod, I would close this thread, because there is nothing to discuss.

Hes gone and I don't really care. I'm excited to go get a better player with the scholarship.

Best of luck TA, your non-presence will go unnoticed

-Skitz

thenameisbond
10-29-2010, 11:04 AM
If we end up with Parker in the following class, the loss of Adams doesn't hurt much. I'm not sure how much MP3 will be able to contribute immediately though.

Duvall
10-29-2010, 11:10 AM
If we end up with Parker in the following class, the loss of Adams doesn't hurt much.

That's a big "if."

*If* Duke lands a highly rated big man in 2012, then the decommitment won't hurt much. But that's now a fairly urgent need for the 2012-2013 season and beyond.

jimsumner
10-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Adams isn't the key to next year's post rotation. Mason Plumlee is. If he comes back for his junior year, Duke would have the three Plumlees, Ryan Kelly and Josh Hairston for those 80 minutes.

I'm pretty sure Duke can make that work.

dyemeduke
10-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Bingo.

Really though here's what it comes down to. Tyler Adams wasn't an important recruit and his de-commitment doesn't matter.

Take for instance the fact that the 2009 loss of Harrison Barnes has had 0 effect on our potential to win in 2010.

I disagree with these two statements. I understand why you're saying Adams isn't critical, but front-court depth is important. Zoubek turned last year around when he started to really play inside, and combined with the Plumlees and Lance, they did great. Even if you're playing a fast-paced offense with pressure D, you need an inside game (not offense so much, but defense). Adams' contributions his first two years would probably have been minimal, but who's to say that his jr and sr years he wouldn't became part of the regular rotation? Additionally, his presence in practice alone could have helped our other bigs improve. I'm not convinced that Kelly's added weight will help him play inside, nor can I say that Hairston seems like a post player. Both have to prove themselves on the court, because their past history shows them as more facing-the-basket players that can't bang around down low.

...Barnes would still have helped this team. He would be part of the regular rotation, and we would all be gushing about him if he chose Duke.

Sure, Adams isn't joining the team, and there's no point in crying about it. I wish him the best. I for one though, would rather us land a big next class instead of Cook. I like Thornton. Sure Quinn is really good, but I see a big being more important (not sold on MPIII yet either).

Duvall
10-29-2010, 11:32 AM
I for one though, would rather us land a big next class instead of Cook. I like Thornton. Sure Quinn is really good, but I see a big being more important (not sold on MPIII yet either).

Why do people keep saying this? Duke isn't anywhere near having a scholarship crunch in 2011 or 2012. There is no sense in which Cook and another post player are exclusive in any way. The two issues are completely separate.

jimsumner
10-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Why do people keep saying this? Duke isn't anywhere near having a scholarship crunch in 2011 or 2012. There is no sense in which Cook and another post player are exclusive in any way. The two issues are completely separate.

Let's look at the numbers.

Duke has ten recruited players this season.

Two are seniors. That leaves eight.

Duke brings in four next season (including Cook). That means 12.

Miles Plumlee is the only 2012 senior.

That leaves Duke with only three scholarships for the class of 2012.

But. That assumes Kyrie Irving is at Duke for his junior year in 2013. That assumes Mason Plumlee is at Duke for his senior year in 2013. That assumes that Austin Rivers is at Duke for his sophomore season in 2013.

Possible, I suppose. In the same way, that it's possible that I'll have a sudden growth spurt and qualify for the 2012 Olympics as a shotputter.

Realistically, Duke is operating under the assumption that they'll have a minimum of four scholarships, most likely five, for the class of 2012. Even with Cook.

So, plenty of room for a big. Or two.

rotogod00
10-29-2010, 02:09 PM
ESPN finally mentions the decommitment:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5740672

According to this, he's considering Georgetown and Miss St.

The Gordog
10-29-2010, 04:37 PM
ESPN finally mentions the decommitment:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5740672

According to this, he's considering Georgetown and Miss St.

What's this crud about G'town being a "big man school?" Look at our centers pre-Zoubek: Josh McRoberts, Shelden Williams, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand. All either starting or earning major minutes and major $$$ in the NBA. We have more successful NBA big men than G'town, or anybody else for that matter.

Not Duke material anyway IMO.

sagegrouse
10-29-2010, 04:58 PM
What's this crud about G'town being a "big man school?" Look at our centers pre-Zoubek: Josh McRoberts, Shelden Williams, Carlos Boozer, Elton Brand. All either starting or earning major minutes and major $$$ in the NBA. We have more successful NBA big men than G'town, or anybody else for that matter.

Not Duke material anyway IMO.

Georgetown had a good run with Ewing, Dikembe, and Alonzo, but that ended with the last's departure in 1992. Greg Monroe was pretty darned good as well.

sagegrouse

gam7
10-29-2010, 05:17 PM
Georgetown had a good run with Ewing, Dikembe, and Alonzo, but that ended with the last's departure in 1992. Greg Monroe was pretty darned good as well.

sagegrouse

Hibbert too. As for the post mentioning Duke "centers," all of those guys were power forwards, not centers. I don't know whether Tyler's future is at PF or at C, but to the extent he thinks it's at center, Georgetown makes sense.

Duvall
10-29-2010, 05:19 PM
Hibbert too. As for the post mentioning Duke "centers," all of those guys were power forwards, not centers.

They were centers at Duke, and much closer in size to Adams than Roy Hibbert.

gam7
10-29-2010, 05:27 PM

True, but none of them projected as centers at the next level. I don't know whether Tyler projects as a center or power forward long term (e.g., I don't know if he's expected to grow more, etc.), but to the extent he sees his future at center, gtown makes sense.

gam7
10-29-2010, 05:38 PM

And even though boozer, brand, Williams, Mcbob may have been the tallest or biggest guys in their respective starting lineups at duke, I don't recall thinking that they were "centers." They were just players that served a purpose in the front court. If the "center" designation was assigned to them (on tv or otherwise), it was for convenience.

jimsumner
10-29-2010, 08:04 PM
And even though boozer, brand, Williams, Mcbob may have been the tallest or biggest guys in their respective starting lineups at duke, I don't recall thinking that they were "centers." They were just players that served a purpose in the front court. If the "center" designation was assigned to them (on tv or otherwise), it was for convenience.

At the college level, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer and Shelden Williams most emphatically were centers. What position they played at the NBA is irrelevant.

gam7
10-29-2010, 09:44 PM
At the college level, Elton Brand, Carlos Boozer and Shelden Williams most emphatically were centers. What position they played at the NBA is irrelevant.

Note to self: Wait until Jim Sumner goes on vacation before trying to write revisionist history. :)

I agree that it's irrelevant, particularly with respect to this discussion. With my post prior to the one you quoted, I just wanted to make the point that I don't think it's crazy for a big man to think that Georgetown would be a good place to develop.

gumbomoop
10-30-2010, 01:03 AM
Adams isn't the key to next year's post rotation. Mason Plumlee is. If he comes back for his junior year, Duke would have the three Plumlees, Ryan Kelly and Josh Hairston for those 80 minutes.

I'm pretty sure Duke can make that work.

I definitely agree with this, but want to go a step further, one that I assume rather few posters would agree with.

Assume that Duke makes a deep run in the 2011 NCAAT, say to the FF, perhaps to a repeat. Now, after this good news, assume a worst-case scenario for 2011-2012 season, to wit: (1) Kyle and Nolan graduate [obvious, I know]; (2) Mason has shown enough in Duke's NCAAT deep-run/NC-maybe that his stock stays high, so he leaves; (3) Quin Cook enrolls elsewhere; (4) KI has great year, pros love him, he, too, departs for NBA; (5) leaving Duke with the following 9-man team for '11-'12....

Interior - Miles, Ryan, Josh, Marshall
Wings - Austin, Andre, Seth, Michael
PG - Tyler [but with Seth and Austin also spending time at PG]

Now, this would certainly be a thinner roster than is preferable, but hardly one devoid of talent - I'd say [as is my wont, optimistically] preseason top 7-8, perhaps even top 5.

Some of you must be thinking, "What a nutter." But that "thin" roster would include (1) a top-3 recruit who can shoot lights out, drive, dish, great handle, a scorer not just a shooter; (2) an athletic, senior center who we can plausibly predict will be very solid [ask Bob Green - I dare you]; (3) a junior 4 who can pass, shoot, rebound, block a few shots, and who at least some on this board think will be very good; (4) a junior combo guard who shoots lights out; (5) a junior small wing who shoots lights out; and (5) 4 young role players, several, perhaps all, of whom, true, would have to play more minutes than a better-case-scenario would necessitate.

Here on the eve of the '10-'11 season, we are at a propitious moment for Duke basketball. We're coming off a marvelous, at least somewhat surprising NC, and a nearly equally marvelous and even more surprising Heel-mess. We're looking at a possible repeat by a team that looks, to understate the matter substantially, real, real talented.

But because - it's still preseason, so we can still wander all over the place - we're already thinking, or at least joking, about a 3-peat [9F 9F 9F, how'd that work out for you Harrison, etc.]; and because "order has been restored," which itself sort of "proves" we are Rightfully Entitled, we aren't inclined to "settle" for a "thin" roster a year hence and a "mere" preseason top 7-8 ranking. [And I do realize some posters will disagree with my prognostication of such a ranking, if this worst-case thin roster eventuates.] Instead, perhaps looking over our collective shoulder at UNC, we want talent and depth at every position in perpetuity.

The thin roster I've listed in this depressing scenario would be a very good team. Yep, it would require 26-27 mpg for Miles and Ryan; Josh would have to play 20+, too. Marshall would have to contribute a few mpg [but not lots]. Austin and Seth would have to play 32-34 mpg, Andre and Tyler 25 each, and Michael maybe 10.

Not one of the favorites to win the NC, some question marks, perhaps especially on D, but still, a very good team. I doubt that many teams in '11-'12 would have a better starting lineup. Maybe none. If this roster represents a worst-case scenario, we are fortunate beyond all reason.

Which We the Entitled most assuredly are.

[And we would of course be entitled to a super-great 2012 recruiting class, because......]

Skitzle
10-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Adams' contributions his first two years would probably have been minimal, but who's to say that his jr and sr years he wouldn't became part of the regular rotation?

That gives us 2 years to land a good big recruit.

I think our chances are pretty good. I also think our chances our good that he is better than Adams.

Maybe that makes me an optimist?

gam7
10-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Assume that Duke makes a deep run in the 2011 NCAAT, say to the FF, perhaps to a repeat. Now, after this good news, assume a worst-case scenario for 2011-2012 season, to wit: (1) Kyle and Nolan graduate [obvious, I know]; (2) Mason has shown enough in Duke's NCAAT deep-run/NC-maybe that his stock stays high, so he leaves; (3) Quin Cook enrolls elsewhere; (4) KI has great year, pros love him, he, too, departs for NBA; (5) leaving Duke with the following 9-man team for '11-'12....

Nice post. Just wanted to throw in one more assumption: the NBA labor situation is sufficiently close to resolution that KI and Mason think it's safe to jump.

D.C. Devil
11-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Adams confirms via text that he committed to GU last night. http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1017409.html

Gorilla
11-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Wish him the best

wilko
11-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Wish him the best

Ditto - Good Luck Tyler - ('cept when/if he plays us.)

juise
11-01-2010, 01:31 PM
Adams confirms via text that he committed to GU last night. http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1017409.html

"I just feel like Georgetown is the best fit for me," Adams told Scout.com. "They are a big man school. They develop their bigs and a lot of their bigs make it to the NBA. Georgetown also runs their offense through their bigs and I liked that."

I also wish Tyler the best in his future endeavors and I assume that he is right when he says that Georgetown is the best fit for him (because obviously he would know best). It's also true that Georgetown has traditionally been known for their big men... perhaps because they have had so few elite guards (Iverson and that's it). The idea that somehow the current staff there is a big man factory is a little ridiculous, IMO.

Currently, Georgetown has three big men who actually play (Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe) and two of them are starters (Green and Hibbert). Duke has four who get PT (Shelden, McBob, Brand, Boozer) and they all start. Then there are three small forward types who also start (Battier, Hill, Dunleavy). In fact, Duke has more forwards in the league than guards. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Smitty1911
11-01-2010, 03:23 PM
Duke has four who get PT (Shelden, McBob, Brand, Boozer) and they all start. Then there are three small forward types who also start (Battier, Hill, Dunleavy). In fact, Duke has more forwards in the league than guards. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

Luol Deng says, "C'mon, man?!"

Greg_Newton
11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
I also wish Tyler the best in his future endeavors and I assume that he is right when he says that Georgetown is the best fit for him (because obviously he would know best). It's also true that Georgetown has traditionally been known for their big men... perhaps because they have had so few elite guards (Iverson and that's it). The idea that somehow the current staff there is a big man factory is a little ridiculous, IMO.

Currently, Georgetown has three big men who actually play (Jeff Green, Roy Hibbert, Greg Monroe) and two of them are starters (Green and Hibbert). Duke has four who get PT (Shelden, McBob, Brand, Boozer) and they all start. Then there are three small forward types who also start (Battier, Hill, Dunleavy). In fact, Duke has more forwards in the league than guards. I know I'm preaching to the choir here.

To be fair though, Georgetown is on a pretty big hot streak with their big men - lottery pick in 2007 who almost made the national team this summer, mid-first round pick in 2008 who is starting and putting up big numbers, and a lottery pick in 2010. They have also run their offense much more through the post than Duke in recent years.

greybeard
11-01-2010, 05:15 PM

Georgetown has had a number of outstanding guards who went on to pro careers, one regrettably cut short by a stupid illegal act. Sleepy Floyd, many years in the pros, joined BeBe Duron to form the best backcourt in college and came a hair's breathe from a national championship with the two of them--lost in the sweet sixteen I think to a Ronnie Lester lead team--Georgetown missed a bunch of foul shots and either BeBe or Shelton their 6'7" inside scoring machine was hurt. Saw Duran years later and he made no excuses--said Lester was flat out the best player he had played against. BeBe played in the pros but his knee made the stint short.

After that, Charles Smith (who literally ran into trouble that ended his career) was easily the best guard in college ball when he played, Reggie Williams was not chopped liver, Gene Smith, Mark Tillman, the point guard on the national championship team whose name I am blocking on, president of some sports TV operation, and his running mate Horrace Broadnax, Freddie Brown, Bobby Winston, Bobby Bryant, the dude who tore up the Big East after Iverson left and then left too early and fell flat but was an enormous talent. There are probably many others.

By the way, I don't know that there are two better starting guards anywhere than the two who will start for Georgetown this year, including Duke. Now I'm not saying that Nolan and Kyrie are not better than Chris and Austin, but I'm not saying that they are either. I'm saying we'll see.

Austin Freeman might be the "strongest" shooting guard in the nation in any way one can take that term to mean. He was sick last year, seriously so, and still played "sick," I mean he tore it up. He is extraordinarily clever on the court, can shoot with the best of them, can get to the basket and finish, rebounds, defends and passes. I definitely would not want to run into him on the court. Built as solid as they come. He is completely healthy now that the diabetes is under control and I understand is in amazing shape. He could be a flat out scorer, a go-to guy that will make trying to guard Wright all the more difficult. These are two very experienced, talented, athletic guards who can play with anybody.

As for Big Men, GTIII is among the best, if not the best, big man coach in the country, period, if you're concern is developing as a complete pivot player--a player through whom the offense can run and who can score in multiple ways, who understands the game as well or better than anyone on the floor and is involved integrally in all aspects. If that is what you'd like to achieve for yourself, JTIII will provide the type of learning environment and insights that will give you a shot, a great one, at getting there.

The development of Green and Hibbert speaks volumes to that end. Monroe had a very well rounded game when he left but came in with a big, big rep as a "can't miss." The other two came from nowhere.

juise
11-01-2010, 06:17 PM
Luol Deng says, "C'mon, man?!"

Absolutely, I was originally calling Deng a PF, but decided to take him off the list because he doesn't play PF in the league, then I left him off my SF list.

Greybeard, I appreciate the perspective. I wasn't trying diminish JTIII's coaching abilities. It just felt a little like Georgetown was still riding its rep from Ewing/Mutombo/Morning, but you make an excellent point about how unknown Green and Hibbert were coming out of high school.

COYS
11-02-2010, 10:16 AM
Georgetown has had a number of outstanding guards who went on to pro careers, one regrettably cut short by a stupid illegal act. Sleepy Floyd, many years in the pros, joined BeBe Duron to form the best backcourt in college and came a hair's breathe from a national championship with the two of them--lost in the sweet sixteen I think to a Ronnie Lester lead team--Georgetown missed a bunch of foul shots and either BeBe or Shelton their 6'7" inside scoring machine was hurt. Saw Duran years later and he made no excuses--said Lester was flat out the best player he had played against. BeBe played in the pros but his knee made the stint short.

After that, Charles Smith (who literally ran into trouble that ended his career) was easily the best guard in college ball when he played, Reggie Williams was not chopped liver, Gene Smith, Mark Tillman, the point guard on the national championship team whose name I am blocking on, president of some sports TV operation, and his running mate Horrace Broadnax, Freddie Brown, Bobby Winston, Bobby Bryant, the dude who tore up the Big East after Iverson left and then left too early and fell flat but was an enormous talent. There are probably many others.

By the way, I don't know that there are two better starting guards anywhere than the two who will start for Georgetown this year, including Duke. Now I'm not saying that Nolan and Kyrie are not better than Chris and Austin, but I'm not saying that they are either. I'm saying we'll see.

Austin Freeman might be the "strongest" shooting guard in the nation in any way one can take that term to mean. He was sick last year, seriously so, and still played "sick," I mean he tore it up. He is extraordinarily clever on the court, can shoot with the best of them, can get to the basket and finish, rebounds, defends and passes. I definitely would not want to run into him on the court. Built as solid as they come. He is completely healthy now that the diabetes is under control and I understand is in amazing shape. He could be a flat out scorer, a go-to guy that will make trying to guard Wright all the more difficult. These are two very experienced, talented, athletic guards who can play with anybody.

As for Big Men, GTIII is among the best, if not the best, big man coach in the country, period, if you're concern is developing as a complete pivot player--a player through whom the offense can run and who can score in multiple ways, who understands the game as well or better than anyone on the floor and is involved integrally in all aspects. If that is what you'd like to achieve for yourself, JTIII will provide the type of learning environment and insights that will give you a shot, a great one, at getting there.

The development of Green and Hibbert speaks volumes to that end. Monroe had a very well rounded game when he left but came in with a big, big rep as a "can't miss." The other two came from nowhere.

Greybeard, I agree with you. JTIII has proven himself as an excellent developer of talent, in my opinion. He had some great teams at Princeton, though he came up just short of a big win in the NCAA tourney a few times. Judson Wallace, a center for Princeton, developed very nicely during his college career, developing excellent passing skills and a deadly 3 point shot. By his junior season, the he was often the centerpiece of the offense (along with Will Veneable, the current center fielder for the San Diego Padres). Wallace has had a very successful post-collegiate career playing basketball overseas. While I certainly do not discount Duke's coaching of big men (I think you can't get any better), there is also no way to discount what JTIII has done with his big guys. And, while the the Duke can't get true low post players to the league rumor is an absurdity, it is not at all irrational for a recruit to think that he might play a more featured role in the offense at Georgetown . . . especially given the play-making guards Duke will have over the next few years. I wish Adams had stayed with Duke, but switching to Georgetown is not a bad decision, either.

PADukeMom
11-02-2010, 02:23 PM
i would think that K and the staff are handling it better than we are....

That's why they have the rings & we have the t-shirts! Best of luck to Tyler Adams.

60's Devil
01-13-2011, 09:02 AM
ACC Sports journal reports that Adams manhandled Marshall Plumlee in a recent head to head. We need help inside!!!

superdave
01-13-2011, 09:24 AM
ACC Sports journal reports that Adams manhandled Marshall Plumlee in a recent head to head. We need help inside!!!

Well, we're not going to get it from Tyler Adams so why re-start this thread?

MChambers
01-13-2011, 10:01 AM
Well, we're not going to get it from Tyler Adams so why re-start this thread?
Makes as much sense as suggesting we need to get a tall big man coach. :)

DUKIE V(A)
01-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Watched Georgetown/Pitt in person last night. I know Georgetown is a traditional big man factory, but the current team is extremely guard oriented and on the soft side. Perhaps TA will change that. I wish him the best of luck.

BTW -- The Verizon Center is a terrible arena for college hoops. Too large and impersonal. It's a dead zone (even when Georgetown is playing decently).

MCFinARL
01-13-2011, 07:58 PM
Watched Georgetown/Pitt in person last night. I know Georgetown is a traditional big man factory, but the current team is extremely guard oriented and on the soft side. Perhaps TA will change that. I wish him the best of luck.

BTW -- The Verizon Center is a terrible arena for college hoops. Too large and impersonal. It's a dead zone (even when Georgetown is playing decently).

Agreed it's not a great venue. But having seen Duke lose twice to Georgetown here (alas), I can say that both times it was anything but dead. We must bring out the absolute best in the fans, who were loud last year in front of the Prez and actually much louder in 2006 when the Jeff Green-led final four team beat JJ and Shelden on the basis of a huge first half, despite a solid comeback effort that fell just short.

superdave
01-13-2011, 07:59 PM

Unfortunately I'm 2-2 in Duke vs. Gtown games at Verizon (I think). Both losses the stadium was on fire. But Duke was a top 5 team they upset both times (last year and 2006) so that makes sense.

I did go to the Asheville and Utah State games this year and the building was dead. The students sit behind the baskets while the fat cats sit along the lengths of the court and dont cheer much.

Duvall
01-13-2011, 08:17 PM

Not sure that's a Verizon Center problem. Georgetown may just have too small a fanbase for a pro arena.

superdave
01-13-2011, 11:31 PM
Not sure that's a Verizon Center problem. Georgetown may just have too small a fanbase for a pro arena.

I dont know, with a few tweaks it could work. First, shut off the bar on the club level so the kids will actually watch the game. Second, close off the upper level to fill the lower.

Wait...I think you may be right.

Channing
03-11-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't think I saw this mentioned anywhere on the home page:

Our good friend Tyler Adams was apparently diagnosed with an irregular heart beat at Georgetown as a freshman and never really got to suit up. JTIII honored his scholarship and he got to play on senior day. Didn't Tyler Adams introduce us to the cinder-block measurement system?

In any event, glad the kid stuck with school and is graduating with a fantastic degree.

dukelifer
03-11-2015, 06:05 PM

Our good friend Tyler Adams was apparently diagnosed with an irregular heart beat at Georgetown as a freshman and never really got to suit up. JTIII honored his scholarship and he got to play on senior day. Didn't Tyler Adams introduce us to the cinder-block measurement system?

In any event, glad the kid stuck with school and is graduating with a fantastic degree.

Nice story on how this happened

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/his-basketball-career-cut-short-hoyas-tyler-adams-gets-a-final-day-on-court/2015/03/06/03878656-c43e-11e4-9ec2-b418f57a4a99_story.html

oldnavy
03-12-2015, 06:58 AM

Yes, and just like the metric system the U.S. isn't ready for it yet, but I hold out hope that one day we will all unite under the cinder block system of measurement. :D

OldPhiKap
03-12-2015, 07:21 AM
Yes, and just like the metric system the U.S. isn't ready for it yet, but I hold out hope that one day we will all unite under the cinder block system of measurement. :D

Expressed in binary form, no doubt.