PDA

View Full Version : very petty

moonpie23
04-25-2010, 10:52 PM
i can't help it y'all...i am so sick of the crap from UK fans and Catspause that i'm forced to vent..

let me state for the record !! UK DID NOT WANT A PIECE OF WHAT DUKE DEALT TO WVU.....they can whine and moan about shoulda, woulda coulda, but i think the UK fanbase was FORTUNATE to not have to watch that beat-down in the final four..

i mean, seriously, you think uk fans would have preferred to MAKE it to the final four and then get THAT ?? From DUKE??

no way....no way in hell...

as always, I'm not sayin...i'm just sayin...

cspan37421
04-25-2010, 11:00 PM
why bother? Who cares what they think? Did you expect to be enlightened by visiting their fansite?

Besides, it's matchups. Maybe Duke would have crushed UK a la UM '92, maybe they would have won by 2. We'll never know, and it doesn't matter. They lost.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-25-2010, 11:37 PM
why bother? Who cares what they think? Did you expect to be enlightened by visiting their fansite?

Besides, it's matchups. Maybe Duke would have crushed UK a la UM '92, maybe they would have won by 2. We'll never know, and it doesn't matter. They lost.

You're right it doesn't matter but more important We won!!!!!!!!!! National Champs BABY!!!!!

Highlander
04-25-2010, 11:53 PM
Duke did what Kentucky couldn't do. We beat West Virginia on a neutral court.

And it wasn't even close.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-25-2010, 11:57 PM
Duke did what Kentucky couldn't do. We beat West Virginia on a neutral court.

And it wasn't even close.
Exactly! National Champions, baby! :cool::D How sweet it is! :D:D

weezie
04-26-2010, 07:36 AM
I find that laughing and pointing at people who complain about Duke's success is highly enjoyable.
Go ahead, give it a try!:cool:

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2010, 08:07 AM
confused by the point of this thread.

we won the whole shebang. I just smile whenever people say we didn't deserve it or that we were lucky. We won! Who cares what people say.

Still surprised that posters are surprised that the general public hates Duke. It's one of the many facts of sports life. Accept it. Nothing you can do about it.

miramar
04-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Since Kentucky has essentially joined the D-league, they shouldn't worry about their performance in the NCAA tournament. Instead, they should boast about their one and dones and lottery picks since that has become the program's measuring stick.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2010, 08:20 AM
Since Kentucky has essentially joined the D-league, they shouldn't worry about their performance in the NCAA tournament. Instead, they should boast about their one and dones and lottery picks since that has become the program's measuring stick.

Considering that it's completely legal, Kentucky has a ton of competition for these recruits, and players view Kentucky as a gateway to the NBA, is what Kentucky doing such a bad thing?

I really don't think Kentucky is to blame for this (nor Cal). He merely saw an opportunity in the market and jumped on it. Remember, Coach K jumped on Wall but we failed to get him (and Wall was the quintessential one-and-done. I'm not complaining that we didn't get Wall, just pointing it out). The NCAA and the NBA need to sort out this issue. It's unfair to point at Kentucky as a perpetrator in this story.

For the record, I'm not accusing you of saying anything but rather bringing up this point about one-and-dones and the system that allows this to take place.

Indoor66
04-26-2010, 08:45 AM
Exactly! National Champions, baby! :cool::D How sweet it is! :D:D

Doin' your Bob Harris imi?

Olympic Fan
04-26-2010, 08:50 AM
You know, there are a ton of fans -- even among the Duke fan base -- who seem to get more excited about recruiting than the actual games and championships.

I applaud Coach Cal for making that the focus of the Kentucky program. Last year they won the national recruiting championship (I think it's awarded by the Helms Foundation or another bread company)!! Way to go, Cats!! Hey, if Cal can land Leslie or Jones (and maybe Leslie AND Jones!!) they can win a second straight national recruiting title!! And with Gilchrist and Teague aboard for 2011-12, they have a good start on a third straight national recruiting title.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't that be something??

Meanwhile, poor Duke will have to settle for its NCAA championship. Maybe we can find some small consolation in winning a second straight NCAA title next year ... I know that doesn't compare to Kentucky's recruiting triumphs, but, hey, you have to settlle for small pleasures.;)

PS The highpoint of the long drive back from Indianapolis was driving through Lexington and booming out the Boss' "Thunder Road" at max volume on the stereo ... with its great last line: "This is a town for losers but I'm rolling out of here a winner!":D

Maybe one of these years Kentucky will have a couple of decent players stick around and they won't have to play with freshman all-star teams.

Channing
04-26-2010, 08:52 AM
here is the real question: why on earth are you spending time at Cats Pause?

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 09:12 AM

Maybe he was reading up on former Duke recruit Terrence Ross (washington)to see what he was up to.

Maybe he wanted to see what was up with Terrence Jones or CJ Leslie

Maybe he wanted to see what they were saying about 2011 recruit Quincy Miller

Reading the forums of other teams can actually be quite entertaining. You know, we're not just Duke fans, we are also college basketball fans.

cspan37421
04-26-2010, 09:16 AM
You know, sometimes we get grief from Tar Heel fans for hanging banners that celebrate our final AP #1 ranking in years we didn't win the NCAA Tournament. 1999 comes to mind; there may be others. I get their point (the tournament is EVERYTHING) but I don't agree. Luck plays too great a role in the tournament for it to mean everything. The season means something, and I'm more than OK with us celebrating that.

But for Kentucky, I can't help but chuckle at the notion of them hanging a banner for "#1 Recruiting Class - 2009-10" or even better, "Most One And Dones, 2009-10." I almost sense they would hang banners for #1 overall NBA Draft Pick, although it's not clear that Wall will be the one this year. There was some other guy who finished stronger, but I forget who it was since my attention has been captured by our end of season winning streak. :D

cspan37421
04-26-2010, 09:18 AM
Oh yeah, Evan Turner. (had to look it up)

DoubleDuke Dad
04-26-2010, 09:22 AM
You know, there are a ton of fans -- even among the Duke fan base -- who seem to get more excited about recruiting than the actual games and championships.

I applaud Coach Cal for making that the focus of the Kentucky program. Last year they won the national recruiting championship (I think it's awarded by the Helms Foundation or another bread company)!! Way to go, Cats!! Hey, if Cal can land Leslie or Jones (and maybe Leslie AND Jones!!) they can win a second straight national recruiting title!! And with Gilchrist and Teague aboard for 2011-12, they have a good start on a third straight national recruiting title.:rolleyes:

Wouldn't that be something??

Meanwhile, poor Duke will have to settle for its NCAA championship. Maybe we can find some small consolation in winning a second straight NCAA title next year ... I know that doesn't compare to Kentucky's recruiting triumphs, but, hey, you have to settlle for small pleasures.;)

PS The highpoint of the long drive back from Indianapolis was driving through Lexington and booming out the Boss' "Thunder Road" at max volume on the stereo ... with its great last line: "This is a town for losers but I'm rolling out of here a winner!":D

Maybe one of these years Kentucky will have a couple of decent players stick around and they won't have to play with freshman all-star teams.

LOL! Great response.

CDu
04-26-2010, 09:36 AM
You know, sometimes we get grief from Tar Heel fans for hanging banners that celebrate our final AP #1 ranking in years we didn't win the NCAA Tournament. 1999 comes to mind; there may be others. I get their point (the tournament is EVERYTHING) but I don't agree. Luck plays too great a role in the tournament for it to mean everything. The season means something, and I'm more than OK with us celebrating that.

But for Kentucky, I can't help but chuckle at the notion of them hanging a banner for "#1 Recruiting Class - 2009-10" or even better, "Most One And Dones, 2009-10." I almost sense they would hang banners for #1 overall NBA Draft Pick, although it's not clear that Wall will be the one this year. There was some other guy who finished stronger, but I forget who it was since my attention has been captured by our end of season winning streak. :D

To be fair, you argue that luck plays a lot into tournament success. As you note, we've been #1 overall heading into the tournament a few times but then lost early in the tourney. But you should also note that UK was one really unfortunate bad game from making the Final Four and having a real shot at a title this year, too.

I also don't get mocking UK for being excited about a good recruiting class. We'd have been excited about that recruiting class, too.

Scorp4me
04-26-2010, 09:41 AM
In the ACC we have both a Regular Season Champion and a Tournament Champion. I see the #1 Ranking for the end of the season as being like the regular season champion. It's unbalanced obviously, but I suppose they "try" to take that into consideration when they choose who is number 1.

Maybe we should just play and home and away series with everyone in the NCAA. That'd be a what...650 game season =)

jdj4duke
04-26-2010, 09:54 AM

Inside Carolina was closed for an EPA audit.

CrazieDUMB
04-26-2010, 09:55 AM

Hahaha love this post. I mean really, what's the point of winning if it doesn't make you popular with the cool kids?

cspan37421
04-26-2010, 10:16 AM
To be fair, you argue that luck plays a lot into tournament success. As you note, we've been #1 overall heading into the tournament a few times but then lost early in the tourney. But you should also note that UK was one really unfortunate bad game from making the Final Four and having a real shot at a title this year, too.

I also don't get mocking UK for being excited about a good recruiting class. We'd have been excited about that recruiting class, too.

I'm not mocking UK in reality. I'm chuckling at the notion of hanging banners for iffy measures of greatness - like "3rd Place NIT" or "Helms Foundation Champion". I made up a couple extra "iffy" banners that KY could use if they wanted to. And yes, I get excited for great recruiting classes - but we don't hang banners for it.

Don't get me wrong, if KY was Final AP #1, I think them hanging a banner for that is just as legit as it would be for us. (I think KS was, though). And to be more clear - I don't mean that the NCAA Champ is the champ primarily because of good luck; but a variety of great teams get bounced out every year because of bad luck. Bad luck (e.g., poor shooting) can lose you a game. But you can't count on great luck to win 6 in a row against top competition.

JBDuke
04-26-2010, 10:33 AM
I think this thread has run its course. We've already got another thread about Kentucky on the front page of the King board, and we don't need another one, especially a self-admitted petty one.

This thread is CLOSED.