PDA

View Full Version : Steve Johnson

mattman91
04-25-2010, 02:52 PM
Does anyone know if steve will be back next year? I know he was a redshirt junior, so he may be graduating...

stillcrazie
04-25-2010, 02:55 PM
Does anyone know if steve will be back next year? I know he was a redshirt junior, so he may be graduating...

He was honored at the banquet as a senior.

anon
04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
(so was JD last year)

scottdude8
04-25-2010, 03:00 PM
He was honored at the banquet as a senior.

But he wasn't honored on senior night, like Pocius was last year when he gave up his final season of eligibility despite redshirting... so if he is gone it must've been a decision that was made after the season, or else it would've been mentioned on senior night.

Eckster
04-25-2010, 05:49 PM
From all of his comments during his speech at the banquet last week, I did not leave the event with any sort of thought that he might be back next year, despite any remaining eligibility. True that after last year's banquet, I didn't think Jordan Davidson would be on the team this year either...

NovaScotian
04-25-2010, 06:13 PM
farewell, medium johnson.

we hardly knew ye.

DukeUsul
04-25-2010, 08:44 PM
I think JD staying for a fifth year might have been a late decision, given Eliot's situation and transfer.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-25-2010, 09:17 PM
From all of his comments during his speech at the banquet last week, I did not leave the event with any sort of thought that he might be back next year, despite any remaining eligibility. True that after last year's banquet, I didn't think Jordan Davidson would be on the team this year either...

Steve did talk about a recent interview at Fuqua, but not in a context related to continuing to play basketball.

mattman91
04-25-2010, 09:46 PM
i would think if he is going to grad school he would stay on the team like jordan did. who knows, maybe he is just going to focus on his education. either way, ill always remember his pump fake on his birthday that turned into an and one last year...oh how i love walk-ons :D

scottdude8
04-25-2010, 10:30 PM
I think JD staying for a fifth year might have been a late decision, given Eliot's situation and transfer.

That's not true... if you remember, JD redshirted his senior year (he didn't play at all) because the plan was always for him to be on the team this year... even if Elliot stayed, we still would've been thin at guard with only 3, so the plan was for him to stay all along.

livehead16
04-26-2010, 12:42 AM
That's not true... if you remember, JD redshirted his senior year (he didn't play at all) because the plan was always for him to be on the team this year... even if Elliot stayed, we still would've been thin at guard with only 3, so the plan was for him to stay all along.

no, actually, i think the plan changed a few times. he was honored at last year's banquet as a departing senior. at this year's banquet, coach k said that he twisted jordan's arm to come back and play one more year (i can't imagine he had to twist all that hard). so it was definitely not a done deal the whole way. being thin at guard was likely a factor, but remember that jordan also had back surgery last summer, which could also have played a role in the uncertainty.

for what it's worth, steve's speech didn't seem to leave any doubt that he was finished with the team, but i guess you never know.