PDA

View Full Version : Michael Chandler Recruiting Thread

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure how many of you guys have seen film of Chandler, but IMO the kid can flat out play. I know he has been mentioned a few times under the 2011 Recruiting thread but (also IMO) he needs his own thread.

Chandler was committed to Lousville but on April 16th he decided to re-open his recruiting, “I mean I feel as though I’m still committed to Louisville. But I’m open for other schools to recruit me. Sort of like the Austin Rivers situation.”

Just like Austin, we are at or near the top of his list. I know there is a thread about O'Bryant being the "next Duke Big Man" but the more I study Chandler and O'Bryant I think that Chandler has a much bigger upside. He can really play and also has a big interest in us, something that O'Bryant has yet to really show.

Check out some video:

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=56341&season=2011

DukeBlueNV
04-23-2010, 04:07 PM
ya like chandlers game and body type... kinda a longer more physical version of lance... i heard that he was interested in duke but whenever i look at his profile on scout or rivals we arent even on his list. i see that espn has us right under louisville on his profile but i dont really trust espn when it comes to recruiting info. anyone else have links of him talking about duke or evidence of coaches intrest in him?

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 04:14 PM
ya like chandlers game and body type... kinda a longer more physical version of lance... i heard that he was interested in duke but whenever i look at his profile on scout or rivals we arent even on his list. i see that espn has us right under louisville on his profile but i dont really trust espn when it comes to recruiting info. anyone else have links of him talking about duke or evidence of coaches intrest in him?

I'm never sure about Scout, they ALWAYS seem behind. They actually list him as having no interest in Lousville when he has been quoted as saying he feels, "as though I’m still committed to Louisville. But I’m open for other schools to recruit me."

Duke is also listed on yahoo which is sponsored by rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/basketball/recruiting/player-Michael-Chandler-86161

airowe
04-23-2010, 05:00 PM
Academics are a big concern with Chandler. Since he's been committed to Louisville, there hasn't been much contact with him from Duke. Austin asked Duke to begin recruiting him and as far as I know, no such request ever came from Chandler's camp.

We have since moved on to other targets including Tyler Adams, Amir Williams, Desmond Hubert, and to some degree Johnny O'Bryant.

dukeimac
04-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Seriously, you saw a video of this guy and he can play.

Let me ask you, how many videos have you seen in your life time that shows a person's weaknesses? I laugh at people who make those comments, videos are created only as a highlight real, to show one off. Their weakness are never shown.

Might I ask you to consider King's and Czyz's videos. They were great but they only showed their upside and never their down side. Did you ever see King's inability to play defense on video? Did you ever see what Czyz could do against top notch players on video?

Sorry but referring to some video only shows your weakness. I have a great video of a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Actually, to consider a player you should look at there weaknesses more than their strengths. Their weaknesses are the telling story behind the player. King could score but he couldn't play defense. Czyz could jam the ball better than anyone, against lesser players.

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 06:03 PM
Seriously, you saw a video of this guy and he can play.

Let me ask you, how many videos have you seen in your life time that shows a person's weaknesses? I laugh at people who make those comments, videos are created only as a highlight real, to show one off. Their weakness are never shown.

Might I ask you to consider King's and Czyz's videos. They were great but they only showed their upside and never their down side. Did you ever see King's inability to play defense on video? Did you ever see what Czyz could do against top notch players on video?

Sorry but referring to some video only shows your weakness. I have a great video of a bridge I'd like to sell you.

Actually, to consider a player you should look at there weaknesses more than their strengths. Their weaknesses are the telling story behind the player. King could score but he couldn't play defense. Czyz could jam the ball better than anyone, against lesser players.

The video I saw is of an entire with his HS team Lawrence North. It is pretty easy to watch a player's strengths and weaknesses on a video of an entire game.

Maybe you should ask for all the facts before you make assumptions. That just shows your weakness.

chrisheery
04-23-2010, 06:04 PM
Dude, you need to chill out. No need to be rude.

And yes, you can see weakness in every player's videos. Even their highlight reels. You just have to know what you are looking for. King's would be that you never saw him drive by anyone or do anything athletic. Czyz's videos would show you that he was playing the role of a swing 4 at only 6'6". His videos were all dunks. Always a bit worried about guys like that.

Coballs
04-23-2010, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=dukeimac;401703]Seriously, you saw a video of this guy and he can play.

I did not see the video of Chandler and I agree that these videos are all highlight reels. But, in Dukeimac's defense, occasionally you can just tell that a guy is a superior talent from these videos. For example, check out any of John Wall's YouTube vids. The first time I watched them, I immediately realized that he would be freakishly good. OK, now I'll go check out Changler's video...

should_be_working
04-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Wow, everyone seems a little on edge around here lately. Smile, in case you've already forgotten, we just won the NCAA championship :)

Orange&BlackSheep
04-23-2010, 06:12 PM
Seriously, why are you being so rude, Dukeimac? You could make your points without attacking our friend.

Class of '94
04-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Seriously, why are you being so rude, Dukeimac? You could make your points without attacking our friend.

Chill out Dukiemac; there's no need to jump on each other when folks (especially fellow Duke fans) are just giving their thoughts, which is what this forum is all about. Saying that, I thought Big Pappa held his own and pushed back nicely.

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Dude, you need to chill out. No need to be rude.

I appreciate the support guys.

Dukefan4Life
04-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I am all for a big man with a post game! I think this part of our offense has been missing for some time.

Coballs
04-23-2010, 06:54 PM
[QUOTE=dukeimac;401703]Seriously, you saw a video of this guy and he can play.

I did not see the video of Chandler and I agree that these videos are all highlight reels. But, in Dukeimac's defense, occasionally you can just tell that a guy is a superior talent from these videos. For example, check out any of John Wall's YouTube vids. The first time I watched them, I immediately realized that he would be freakishly good. OK, now I'll go check out Changler's video...

I meant, in Big Pappas defense of course

Greg_Newton
04-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Not to pile on here, but there is plenty you can discern from highlight videos if you understand some nuances of the game. It's certainly not a be-all-end-all, but you can tell a lot about a player's size, strength, quickness, athleticism, aggressiveness around the rim, footwork and court awareness from comparing even brief videos.

For example, it's evident from their videos that Chandler plays stronger around the rim, has better footwork and touch, and basically is more comfortable with the ball than Amir Williams. This would lead me to hope the staff at least looks into him. To assume videos show nothing to anybody and don't even warrant posting on a CBB board in late April is silly.

But anyway, it's too bad about the academics. IMHO, Chandler will end up a better prospect than Williams, Adams and Plumthree, and given that O'Bryant isn't interested, it would be nice if we could pursue him.

SupaDave
04-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Not to pile on here, but there is plenty you can discern from highlight videos if you understand some nuances of the game. It's certainly not a be-all-end-all, but you can tell a lot about a player's size, strength, quickness, athleticism, aggressiveness around the rim, footwork and court awareness from comparing even brief videos.

For example, it's evident from their videos that Chandler plays stronger around the rim, has better footwork and touch, and basically is more comfortable with the ball than Amir Williams. This would lead me to hope the staff at least looks into him. To assume videos show nothing to anybody and don't even warrant posting on a CBB board in late April is silly.

But anyway, it's too bad about the academics. IMHO, Chandler will end up a better prospect than Williams, Adams and Plumthree, and given that O'Bryant isn't interested, it would be nice if we could pursue him.

I agree, Kyrie's highlight of making Kendall Marshall fall at the Jordan Brand Classic indicates a high level of skill.

And at this point I think it's best if we all just monitor the kid and continue to update this thread. I see where BP is going with this and this could end up one of those good threads we get to close.

So Big Pappa - what do you like about the kid? I haven't really seen anyone speak of his actual skills.

Does he hustle down the court?

Does he do a little showboating?

Is he a leader?

Is he vocal?

Sounds like he's a back to the basket kinda guy. Lots of post moves? Polished or no?

By the way - a longer more physical version of Lance sounds a lot like Marcus Camby I suppose. Chandler does remind me of Camby...

FireOgilvie
04-23-2010, 08:22 PM
A few of the most important things when looking at a big man recruit, IMO, are:

1. Size/body type
2. Mobility/speed
3. Athleticism/jumping ability
4. Hands/shooting touch
5. Footwork/"quick feet"

Some highlight videos can actually give a good sense of most of the things on the list.

Things that are hard to judge from short video clips are things like a guy's "motor," aggressiveness, ability to take over/dominate, intelligence, and attitude, which are all very important and can be the difference in just a good versus a great player.

dukeimac
04-23-2010, 10:35 PM

Because I'm tired of little pions trashing Coach about his decisions to play guys and not others and guys making HUGE deals out of videos.

No one has talked to the guy or watched video after video of the guy or saw any of his practices so you have noooooo clue on how good he is or what type of a guy he is. But you saw one video and he is the real deal.

I'll bet anyone that Coach saw video after video of Wall and talked to the guy multiple times and he still gave up on the guy, why do you think he did that? Cause, you know, those videos showed how good he was gonna be.

Newton_14
04-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Because I'm tired of little pions trashing Coach about his decisions to play guys and not others and guys making HUGE deals out of videos.

No one has talked to the guy or watched video after video of the guy or saw any of his practices so you have noooooo clue on how good he is or what type of a guy he is. But you saw one video and he is the real deal.

I'll bet anyone that Coach saw video after video of Wall and talked to the guy multiple times and he still gave up on the guy, why do you think he did that? Cause, you know, those videos showed how good he was gonna be.

I hear you, but you can make a point with civility and without attacking a new member. Big Pappa is new here, is a nice guy, has brought good conversation in several threads and does not deserve to be attacked like that. The guy is just trying to fit in. He saw a player that he feels may end up being a good one and offered up 1 video for the board to have a look at. Nothing wrong with that at all.

You have every right to make your point, but not the way you chose to make it. But on your 2nd point about who coach plays in games, BP's post had nothing to do with that, so why lump him into a group he is not even in?

Referring to him as a "little pion" only makes the original attack worse.

Give the guy a break... he hasn't done anything to deserve being attacked.

Big Pappa
04-23-2010, 10:48 PM
I agree, Kyrie's highlight of making Kendall Marshall fall at the Jordan Brand Classic indicates a high level of skill.

And at this point I think it's best if we all just monitor the kid and continue to update this thread. I see where BP is going with this and this could end up one of those good threads we get to close.

So Big Pappa - what do you like about the kid? I haven't really seen anyone speak of his actual skills.

Does he hustle down the court?

Does he do a little showboating?

Is he a leader?

Is he vocal?

Sounds like he's a back to the basket kinda guy. Lots of post moves? Polished or no?

By the way - a longer more physical version of Lance sounds a lot like Marcus Camby I suppose. Chandler does remind me of Camby...

The biggest thing to like is his back to the basket game. He is a player that possesses a 5-7 really good post moves, his game is somewhat of a dying breed in college basketball.

He is an elite shot blocker for his age, both on the ball and off it. He has an adequate shot from the elbow but his game is mainly paint-oriented. He's big at 6'10" but has the very rare combination of being able to run the floor effectively and finish with contact inside.

I agree that you can tell a good amount from a highlight video if you know what you are looking for, and (as I said) I watched a whole game of his on ESPNU - Lawrence North against Bishop Luers. He thoroughly dominated the game inside on both ends.

Scorp4me
04-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Now if only we could get Coach K to post on the boards we could have some serious discussion. But until them I'm perfectly happy listening to anyone who has any ideas, particularly when they aren't negative ones. See how low my standards have become when it comes to online forums. I don't even expect positive conversation, I just hope for not negative.

I'm behind on our recruiting, still enjoying this season. So thanks for the heads up, I'll check him out. Would love to get a guy who actually likes to play in the post. I hate how so many kids are adverse to it. Missing Zoubek already.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-23-2010, 11:18 PM
Now if only we could get Coach K to post on the boards we could have some serious discussion. But until them I'm perfectly happy listening to anyone who has any ideas, particularly when they aren't negative ones. See how low my standards have become when it comes to online forums. I don't even expect positive conversation, I just hope for not negative.

I'm behind on our recruiting, still enjoying this season. So thanks for the heads up, I'll check him out. Would love to get a guy who actually likes to play in the post. I hate how so many kids are adverse to it. Missing Zoubek already.

Zoubek wasn't so much a back to the basket player. He showed glimpses of his back to the basket game, but he never had te ball handling ability or the overall strength to be a true offensive threat with his back to the basket. A lot of Zoobs baskets came off of offensive rebounds thanks to his tenacity and hustle. Not bashing the guy, just telling you how it was. We'll miss Zoubek, but mostly his rebounding and defense, not his offensive ability. Now Tyler Adams!! That is a guy that plays with power!

MrBisonDevil
04-23-2010, 11:55 PM
I tend to look at a kid's (1) academics and (2) character before athletic basketball abilities. Any info on Michael Chandler in these areas?

The greatest joy I receive from my alma mater's basketball team comes from the kind of kids Duke produces (academically + character) and not the number of championships we win.

Big Pappa
04-24-2010, 07:40 PM
I tend to look at a kid's (1) academics and (2) character before athletic basketball abilities. Any info on Michael Chandler in these areas?

The greatest joy I receive from my alma mater's basketball team comes from the kind of kids Duke produces (academically + character) and not the number of championships we win.

I haven't heard anything about his grades but I can't help but think that is a good thing. Usually, the only time you hear about a player's grades is when they are a problem.

As far as his character and work ethic here is a quote from the Courier Journal in July of 2009, "I am working out a lot now," he said. "It's all about getting stronger. I always work hard on my offense and now I am learning that I need to work harder [to prepare for college]on my defense."

He also just finished playing in a tournament in Manheim, Germany earlier this month called The Albert Schweitzer Tournament. Marshall Plumlee also played with him.

Im4howdy
04-24-2010, 07:58 PM
but isn't it "peon" (not "pion')?

:confused:

-bdbd
04-24-2010, 08:13 PM

Well, how do you know he doesn't already?? ;)

Not to start any rumors, but I hear Big Pappa COULD be K ......

;) :D :rolleyes:

Big Pappa
04-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Well, how do you know he doesn't already?? ;)

Not to start any rumors, but I hear Big Pappa COULD be K ......

;) :rolleyes:

Interesting, I have heard similar things as well :cool:

Bluedog
04-24-2010, 09:20 PM
Academics are a big concern with Chandler.

As airowe stated, reportedly academics are a major hurdle. Evan Daniels of Scout reported that he had a 1.7 GPA, which is a far cry from being NCAA eligible, let alone Duke taking a look at him. This is no indictment of his character, but clearly he has a lot of work to do in the classroom.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-24-2010, 11:30 PM
"Highschool graduates like Lebron or Sebastian straight to the league, I'm not waiting for my knee to blow, Yesturday I was needing this dough"- Jay-Z

airowe
04-24-2010, 11:45 PM
No offense to anybody, but you could go down the line of top recruits on Scout or Rivals and make a recruiting thread for them and we'd be just as likely to sign them as we would Michael Chandler. Grades are an issue here. Tyler Adams should be getting the love if any unsigned big men are.

Big Pappa
04-25-2010, 12:11 AM
No offense to anybody, but you could go down the line of top recruits on Scout or Rivals and make a recruiting thread for them and we'd be just as likely to sign them as we would Michael Chandler. Grades are an issue here. Tyler Adams should be getting the love if any unsigned big men are.

The difference is that he is obviously interested in us, whereas a guy like O'Bryant is not.

airowe
04-25-2010, 12:24 AM
The difference is that he is obviously interested in us, whereas a guy like O'Bryant is not.

I don't really know if he is. As I stated earlier in this thread, that interest level is before he committed to Louisville and when we were showing him interest.

O'Bryant is certainly not a huge fan of ours, but I'd beg to differ that he is not interested at all. He's listening to our pitch, but is more interested in UK at this time from what I've heard.

SupaDave
04-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Gentlemen (and ladies), I'd like to apologize for some of the chaos in this thread.

Chandler's "recruitment" does indeed sound interesting. It's the end of the school year so there's not much time left for much of anything. I expect we'll hear more - or less soon...

Big Pappa
04-25-2010, 10:24 AM
I don't really know if he is. As I stated earlier in this thread, that interest level is before he committed to Louisville and when we were showing him interest.

O'Bryant is certainly not a huge fan of ours, but I'd beg to differ that he is not interested at all. He's listening to our pitch, but is more interested in UK at this time from what I've heard.

It would stand to reason that after he decommits from a school (UL) then he is interested again in the schools that were looking at him previously (Purdue, Indiana, Duke, Ohio State, etc.) as well as a few new comers like Kansas and Kentucky.

Cisco
04-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Go get him K !

baby-face dawkins
04-26-2010, 12:37 AM
Will the recruitment of Chandler be nixed by the recent commitment from Tyler Adams? Or...?

airowe
04-26-2010, 12:41 AM
Will the recruitment of Chandler be nixed by the recent commitment from Tyler Adams? Or...?

What recruitment? ;)

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-26-2010, 01:09 AM
good answer

MisterRoddy
04-26-2010, 01:54 AM
What recruitment? ;)

sooo...thats a yes?

Big Pappa
04-26-2010, 01:37 PM
sooo...thats a yes?

He's saying that as of now we aren't officially recruiting him anyway. He asked to be looked at by Duke, as well as a few other schools, after he decommitted from UL.

Big Pappa
05-14-2010, 05:13 PM
From Jerry Meyer's (Rivals) mailbag today

Q: What are the chances of Duke having Michael Gbinije, Tyler Adams, Austin Rivers, and Quincy Miller at the end of the 2011 recruiting process? Could you compare Adams to Michael Chandler and tell us who would be better in Duke's system?

A: The chances are quite good that Duke will land the group you mentioned. Gbinije and Adams have already committed to the Blue Devils. Rivers is a heavy Duke lean, and Miller's recruitment could easily come down to a two-school race between Duke and Kentucky.

If Duke were to land this hypothetical class, the Blue Devils would have an elite combo guard, and elite combo forward, a versatile wing in the top 30 and a likely top-50 low post player.

Adams is a solid four-star center prospect, but Chandler is an elite five-star center prospect. So there really isn't that much of a comparison. Chandler is much more athletic and has a better skill level than Adams. However, Adams does play a more physical brand of basketball. Chandler projects as a better player regardless of the system.

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1084687

Good post from rotogod that I think belongs in this thread as well.