PDA

View Full Version : Duke players going to a different school

RainingThrees
04-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Hypothetical thread that I have been thinking about for awhile now. What if Jon Scheyer or Chris Collins had gone to Illinois? What if Kyle Singler had gone to Oregon? Or Nolan Smith to Louisville?

How would these players have been treated by the Media? More importantly to me, how would these players have been treated by the fans? Its something I have been thinking about for a while and is some food for thought now that the season is over.

CDu
04-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Hypothetical thread that I have been thinking about for awhile now. What if Jon Scheyer or Chris Collins had gone to Illinois? What if Kyle Singler had gone to Oregon? Or Nolan Smith to Louisville?

How would these players have been treated by the Media? More importantly to me, how would these players have been treated by the fans? Its something I have been thinking about for a while and is some food for thought now that the season is over.

Well, I'm not sure either has been treated badly by the media as individuals. I'd guess they'd be a lot less famous though. We'd likely have heard less about Smith's story (as he'd likely not have made the Final Four without Duke). We'd likely have heard less about Scheyer (as Illinois is a smaller stage in college basketball). And we'd probably have heard very little about Scheyer (as the Pac-10 gets so little love, and Oregon hasn't been very good lately.

Luckily, we got them.

stickdog
04-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Who?

Gewebe14
04-23-2010, 05:06 PM
What if Roy was a good coach? What if UNC had passionate fans?

DevilHorns
04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
What if Roy was a good coach? What if UNC had passionate fans?

What if Dean was a good coach? How many championships through that span of teams would K win? 5?

weezie
04-23-2010, 08:50 PM
yawn.............

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-23-2010, 09:12 PM
yawn.............

That's what I say, I mean no offense but what's the point of this thread?

RainingThrees
04-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Well you could argue that about most threads. Whats the point of talking about the recruitment of Quincy Miller before he has committed anywhere? Will it change anything, will us talking about it change where he is going? I guess the idea is not as intriguing as I thought it would be. Sorry about that.

DevilHorns
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
Well you could argue that about most threads. Whats the point of talking about the recruitment of Quincy Miller before he has committed anywhere? Will it change anything, will us talking about it change where he is going? I guess the idea is not as intriguing as I thought it would be. Sorry about that.

You are completely right. And there are some posters that get absolutely infuriated about assessing these recruits (as if the recruits themselves are obsessively on DBR like the rest of us noting what fans with zero impact on the actual Duke program think about them).

Its fun to see updates on the players, like how they're doing in high school tourneys, random quotes from interviews, you tube highlights, etc... but I think the rest of it invites a war from a few posters on this board, though in my opinion, thats what I think a forum is for.

dukeimac
04-23-2010, 10:19 PM

Dribble, dribble, dribble......

mgtr
04-23-2010, 10:23 PM
Thats interesting, but I interpreted the title as Duke players are attending a school vastly different from Duke (such as Rinky Dink State U). The point being that to attend Duke, basketball player or not, is a great honor, limited to a very few players.

Orange&BlackSheep
04-23-2010, 10:29 PM
Seriously ... do we have to come down on someone and make them feel unwelcome because you think a thread they post is pointless. Your behavior is basically the smartass in the corner in middle school who has something negative to say to anything and everything that happens around him.

So Rainingthrees ... ignore the cyberbullies that need to make you feel stupid to feel smart. I personally appreciate that you are willing to share your thoughts with the rest of us. I personally think that those of you who want to write to other people this way would be much more at home at Inside Carolina.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-23-2010, 10:36 PM
You complain that I am coming down on posters when all I did is ask a question. But I get about three responses from three different posters coming down on me. haha you guys crack me up sometimes.

-jk
04-23-2010, 10:42 PM
Whether we're projecting the future of Duke or trying to rewrite the past (both rather dubious, though perhaps alluring, endeavors), let's please keep it civil.

-jk

DukieInBrasil
04-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Duke (therefore K) was very keen on getting all 3 of those guys, none of them were "back-up" recruits, or guys we tried to get b/c we didn't get someone else. To me the interesting question would be, who would we have recruited if we hadn't landed them? Considering that all 3 of those guys were absolutely essential to our recent National Championship, I'd say we probably wouldn't have won it with the 3 guys recruited instead of them.
As far as how they would have turned out elsewhere, Singler would have been a star anywhere and very well could have raised his draft status by being the lone, best player on his team (as opposed to sharing the scoring w/NS and JS), and you could probably say the same for Jon and Nolan, if they had gone to different schools.

Indoor66
04-24-2010, 09:35 AM
Seriously ... do we have to come down on someone and make them feel unwelcome because you think a thread they post is pointless. Your behavior is basically the smartass in the corner in middle school who has something negative to say to anything and everything that happens around him.

So Rainingthrees ... ignore the cyberbullies that need to make you feel stupid to feel smart. I personally appreciate that you are willing to share your thoughts with the rest of us. I personally think that those of you who want to write to other people this way would be much more at home at Inside Carolina.

Yea, let's have trophies for everybody.