PDA

View Full Version : DMV Point Guards

airowe
04-22-2010, 01:48 PM
http://ncaabasketball.fanhouse.com/2010/04/21/washington-area-also-the-nations-point-guard-capital/

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-22-2010, 02:02 PM
Interesting article.

Must be really frustrating to be a MD fan and see all this talent run away from College Park.

airowe
04-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Interesting article.

Must be really frustrating to be a MD fan and see all this talent run away from College Park.

That's what happens when you have the lowest-paid assistant coaches in the NCAA and a coach that stays as far away from AAU coaches as he can...

jdj4duke
04-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Interesting article.

Must be really frustrating to be a MD fan. Period.

Jderf
04-22-2010, 04:11 PM
Must be really frustrating to be a MD fan. Period.

Hey cmon. Be nice. In home games, they beat the National Championship team two years in a row!!!! That's an accomplishment, right?

jimsumner
04-22-2010, 04:30 PM
Actually, Maryland's been pretty good at PG most of the last decade or so; Steve Blake, John Gilchrist, Greivis Vasquez. It's the other positions that haven't always passed muster.

Anyone else surprised to learn that Oak Hill is in northern Virginia?

PumpkinFunk
04-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Actually, Maryland's been pretty good at PG most of the last decade or so; Steve Blake, John Gilchrist, Greivis Vasquez. It's the other positions that haven't always passed muster.

Oak Hill is in Southern Virginia, not Northern Virginia. They just happen to have a lot of DC area students there, because that's the closest big metropolitan area. Thus why you get guys like Nolan going there.

MChambers
04-22-2010, 04:38 PM
As opposed to where? Western Virginia? Just curious what you thought.

As a D.C. resident, I've known that for years. (I also drive by Montrose Christian in the Maryland suburbs occasionally, so I know where that is, too.)

jimsumner
04-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Gentle folks,

If you read the linked article, you would see that the author referenced Nolan Smith as "raised in Prince George's County, Md., a high-school star in Maryland and northern Virginia."

Smith attended two high schools, one in Upper Marlboro, Maryland and the other being Oak Hill. I know where Oak Hill is located. I've actually been there. The author of the linked article about which the thread is devoted, evidently has not.

You have to work with me here, people.

allenmurray
04-22-2010, 06:25 PM
That's what happens when you have . . . a coach that stays as far away from AAU coaches as he can...

One of the few admirable things about Gary Williams is refusal to deal with some of the slimier AAU folks

airowe
04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
One of the few admirable things about Gary Williams is refusal to deal with some of the slimier AAU folks

Well, yeah. But, he's creating a detriment to his program by not dealing with some of the cleaner ones.

Realistically, Maryland needs to pay their assistants more money. Its a shame how low their pay is compared to the rest of the NCAA.

TruBlu
04-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Maryland needs to pay the assistants and bench players more money, considering the verbal abuse they must endure from Gary when an "on the court" player makes a mistake. The counseling fees for their trauma should at least be covered by the school.

flyingdutchdevil
04-22-2010, 07:21 PM

Definitely agree with Allen on this one. It may hamper the program, but he's doing a service to college bball by not associating with them.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
To be honest,

NY/NJ guards>>>>>>>>>>>> DMV

SupaDave
04-22-2010, 09:46 PM
To be honest,

NY/NJ guards>>>>>>>>>>>> DMV

It would be interesting to see how the regions stacked up against each other. I know Cali has produced many high quality pgs.