PDA

View Full Version : Marquis Teague to Kentucky

Osiagledknarf
04-22-2010, 12:58 PM
According to various sources, top 2011 PG Marquis Teague has chosen to go to Kentucky...

http://twitter.com/evandanielscout

http://twitter.com/SEC_wrld

What a class they are setting up for 2011

Bluedog
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Whatever you want to say about Calipari, you cannot deny the fact that he is a MASTER recruiter. The talent he has been getting is just ridiculous. It's certainly like musical chairs with players intending to only stay one year, so who knows if this strategy is going to be successful, but it has appealed to top flight talent.

soccerstud2210
04-22-2010, 01:10 PM
Whatever you want to say about Calipari, you cannot deny the fact that he is a MASTER recruiter. The talent he has been getting is just ridiculous. It's certainly like musical chairs with players intending to only stay one year, so who knows if this strategy is going to be successful, but it has appealed to top flight talent.

money talks man :D

DoubleDuke Dad
04-22-2010, 01:16 PM

How many years can he continue to bring in a totally new team without winning the NCAA championship before the Kentucky fans begin to complain?

flyingdutchdevil
04-22-2010, 01:17 PM
No questions asked, in two years, Kentucky will have the most NBA players. That's a given.

Starter
04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Cal has a reputation for running a one-and-done factory, but does Teague really fit that description? It's not a rhetorical question, I've never actually seen him play live and I'm wondering if anyone here has. If he's anything like his brother... I mean, I always liked Jeff's game, but he wasn't a transcendent talent or anything. Is he ranked so high because of a combination of skills and pedigree, and not sheer ability alone?

In fact, I'm not sure about that with too many of the guys UK has gotten recently. I just saw Brandon Knight in the Jordan Game, and he's nothing like Wall in that he doesn't appear to be able to rampantly take over games. He's a quick PG with good passing ability. Knight's obviously a very good player, but perhaps not one-and-done. I've seen three of Lamb's games, and he's a really good shooter -- he DID score 49 points in one of the games I saw -- but that's really pretty much all he does. Gilchrist is the only guy I've seen who's going to be that sort of talent, and I'm not even sure he has a dominant personality.

Thoughts?

Bluedog
04-22-2010, 01:24 PM
2009: #1 PG, #6 PG, #2 C, #4 C
2010: #1 PG, #3 SG, PF #3 (considered likely), PF #6 possible
2011: #1 PG, #1 SF, (PF #2 and PF #3 have interest)

#1 PG three years in a row? What?!

airowe
04-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Won't be #1 PG in 2010 for long.

All it took to land Teague was a phone call from LBJ and Nike endorsement deals for Jeff and Marquis in the future.

YourLandlord
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Calipari must have been short the last couple years, as he's clearly generated some serious cash to be able to pay these guys.

Class of '94
04-22-2010, 01:32 PM
2009: #1 PG, #6 PG, #2 C, #4 C
2010: #1 PG, #3 SG, PF #3 (considered likely), PF #6 possible
2011: #1 PG, #1 SF, (PF #2 and PF #3 have interest)

#1 PG three years in a row? What?!

I thought Kyrie moved into the consensus #1 PG for 2010; or is that just from ESPN' s perspective?

Class of '94
04-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Won't be #1 PG in 2010 for long.

All it took to land Teague was a phone call from LBJ and Nike endorsement deals for Jeff and Marquis in the future.

I agree Calipari is a good recruiter; but I'm very hesitant to call anyone a master recruiter when a person is as shady as he is, and linked to shady characters like WWW. It appears that he has people heavily influencing and steering kids to his program; and I personally can't call someone a master recruiter when he has so much help in getting top talented kids.

Duvall
04-22-2010, 01:39 PM
Calipari must have been short the last couple years, as he's clearly generated some serious cash to be able to pay these guys.

Calipari doesn't have to worry about paying his players; they're focusing on the medium to long-term view. The days of buying a top recruit with a mere car are over - it's all about brand management now.

Starter
04-22-2010, 01:43 PM

Is this actually somehow confirmed to be true? I don't doubt that LeBron called him, it's all I keep hearing, but Nike can't actually promise future endorsements, can they? At least not legally?

I'm not naive, I know under-the-table deals happen, but it just seems unlikely. Neither of these guys are slam-dunk future stars in the pros, even Jeff, who's already there. And I just still don't get why Nike puts all its eggs in Kentucky's basket. They outfit what, like 75% of tournament teams? Maybe more?

I'll say this too, it's definitely a shame LeBron (who I adore) is an advocate for Calipari instead of his Team USA coach, but I guess that's what putting one of his high school friends on the UK staff results in.

Duvall
04-22-2010, 01:44 PM
And I just still don't get why Nike puts all its eggs in Kentucky's basket.

What makes you think they do that?

Starter
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
What makes you think they do that?

I'm not sure they do, I was reacting to a suggestion (maybe tongue-in-cheek) that they're offering endorsement deals to get guys to go there.

Bluedog
04-22-2010, 01:47 PM
I thought Kyrie moved into the consensus #1 PG for 2010; or is that just from ESPN' s perspective?

I was just going by Scout rankings. In any event, I agree that I'd much rather have Kyrie. :) But #1 or #2, either way is pretty damn good.

And yes, I agree that some Calipari tactics are shady, but that doesn't mean he hasn't delivered on getting commits from top talent consistently. If you had no knowledge of recruiting tactics/strategy and simply looked at the players that committed to each institution, there's no way in denying the Calipari has been one of the top few recruiters in the nation for the class of 2009, '10, and '11. The jury is out on if his strategy will work to bring a championship to Lexington, though.

AnotherNYCDukeFan
04-22-2010, 01:54 PM
Is this actually somehow confirmed to be true? I don't doubt that LeBron called him, it's all I keep hearing, but Nike can't actually promise future endorsements, can they? At least not legally?

I'm not sure that Nike is what is behind LeBron's call. LeBron has been trying to grow his own marketing firm. He has his own interest in mind in steering people into the Kentucky program, which he has publicly stated support for.

But this brings up a question for those who know the rules much better than I. When does LeBron's business ventures place him into a roll of agent from an NCAA viewpoint?

airowe
04-22-2010, 01:57 PM
If you judge a coach's recruiting skills after 4 years of having a class come in instead of before they've played a college basketball game, Calipari is one of the worst recruiters in college basketball.

Starter
04-22-2010, 02:01 PM
But this brings up a question for those who know the rules much better than I. When does LeBron's business ventures place him into a roll of agent from an NCAA viewpoint?

Terrific question, I'd be interested in people's opinions. I'm sure it has more to do with what he says when he calls -- or rather what he doesn't say. If he's not actually offering anything, verbally or otherwise, he's probably not crossing any lines. But it seems close to those lines.

soccerstud2210
04-22-2010, 02:03 PM
If you judge a coach's recruiting skills after 4 years of having a class come in instead of before they've played a college basketball game, Calipari is one of the worst recruiters in college basketball.

i'll take a coach recruiter that has 4 NC's and does it the right way, over a coach who every time he has been to the FF it has found a way to be confiscated. even if the players aren't as flashy or "athletic"

NSDukeFan
04-22-2010, 02:13 PM
Because this year's class at Kentucky doesn't seem to have as much star power as last year's, it's very possible that the Kentucky team for 2011-12 could be very good as he may have some players who are not one-and-done to provide a bit of continuity. This is assuming Calipari is still at UK and doesn't take Teague and Gilchrist to his next stop.

enick66
04-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Cal has a reputation for running a one-and-done factory, but does Teague really fit that description? It's not a rhetorical question, I've never actually seen him play live and I'm wondering if anyone here has. If he's anything like his brother... I mean, I always liked Jeff's game, but he wasn't a transcendent talent or anything. Is he ranked so high because of a combination of skills and pedigree, and not sheer ability alone?

In fact, I'm not sure about that with too many of the guys UK has gotten recently. I just saw Brandon Knight in the Jordan Game, and he's nothing like Wall in that he doesn't appear to be able to rampantly take over games. He's a quick PG with good passing ability. Knight's obviously a very good player, but perhaps not one-and-done. I've seen three of Lamb's games, and he's a really good shooter -- he DID score 49 points in one of the games I saw -- but that's really pretty much all he does. Gilchrist is the only guy I've seen who's going to be that sort of talent, and I'm not even sure he has a dominant personality.

Thoughts?

Marquis is better talent than his brother Jeff. Apparently he was dominant at the Boo Williams tournament in Hampton a few weekends ago. Most scouting services said he was definitely the best guard there, better than Austin Rivers or Beal.

JaMarcus Russell
04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
His high school stats appear pretty mediocre for a top 5-10 national prospect, especially since he isn't playing on a team like Oak Hill or Findlay Prep. Based on the link that DBR has on the front page, he averaged 16 points, 4.5 assists, and shot 43% from the field. Decent numbers for a freshman in the ACC though :D

licc85
04-22-2010, 02:49 PM
austin rivers > marquis teague

KYtotheCore
04-22-2010, 02:58 PM
How many years can he continue to bring in a totally new team without winning the NCAA championship before the Kentucky fans begin to complain?

Good question. Right now, I think we're all just glad to be out of the holding-pattern we were (perceived?) to be in over the last few years. Some foolishly expect an NC every year. Personally I am just glad to have some excitement back in our program, and hopeful for an NC.

I think the players Cal is recruiting now will stand a better chance at winning one because maybe some of them may transition to the college game a little more slowly than this year's team. Hopefully this makes sense - I think Cal is recruiting for a team rather than individuals now - top talent that may warm to an NC as opposed to burn hot and die out quick. We'll see.

airowe
04-22-2010, 03:21 PM
I think the players Cal is recruiting now will stand a better chance at winning one because maybe some of them may transition to the college game a little more slowly than this year's team. Hopefully this makes sense - I think Cal is recruiting for a team rather than individuals now - top talent that may warm to an NC as opposed to burn hot and die out quick. We'll see.

This doesn't make sense at all. You think Calipari has lowered the standards for the players he's bringing in? He just signed a ridiculous class for two years running.

KYtotheCore
04-22-2010, 03:26 PM
This doesn't make sense at all. You think Calipari has lowered the standards for the players he's bringing in? He just signed a ridiculous class for two years running.

IDK. We all see how this year turned out - 5 1-and-dones. Still didn't make it beyond the EE. I've seen and heard that the recruits he's bringing in don't match the talent he had this year.

JaMarcus Russell
04-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Yeah, the 2010 class doesn't have the same buzz as the 2009 class.

Stacy Poole wanted to commit to Florida early on, and they didn't even accept it despite his legacy status. Doron Lamb is a solid prospect but he's not viewed as anywhere close to a real one and done prospect, and I don't think people view Knight in the same league as Rose and Wall right now. Kanter seems like the one real superstar though.

Don't get me wrong. They still have a great recruiting class, one of the top 5 in the country, but it's not in the same league as the 2009 group. 2011 could be another scary year, especially if they get either Wroten or Quincy Miller.

enick66
04-22-2010, 03:47 PM
austin rivers > marquis teague

I'd rather have Rivers for Duke, but Telep, Daniels, Bossi and others at Boo Williams in Hampton said Teague would be ranked top guard for 2011 class.

DukieBoy
04-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Crap. I really thought IU had a good shot at this guy

airowe
04-22-2010, 04:14 PM
IDK. We all see how this year turned out - 5 1-and-dones. Still didn't make it beyond the EE. I've seen and heard that the recruits he's bringing in don't match the talent he had this year.

I don't disagree with that, but if it happens, it certainly won't be for a lack of trying. Cal's whole recruiting model is to get guys to the league as fast as possible.

I could see Lamb and Poole sticking around past next year, but Knight and Kanter are one-and-doners. You have four guys sticking around until 2010 from this year if they don't transfer.

Miller, Dodson, Hood, and Liggins. All four of them are 6'6" and 6'7". You have Poole (a wing) and Lamb (a SG) coming in next year with Knight (a PG) and Kanter (a center). The only other guys you're involved with are T. Jones (a wing), T. Ross (a wing), and CJ Leslie (a PF). Your team will be pretty good next year, but nowhere near as talented as this year.

Say you lose Knight and Kanter, but pick up Teague and Gilchrist you're right back where you started. You have to get sick of this constant carousel at some point, right? You don't even barely get to know the players...

KYtotheCore
04-22-2010, 05:03 PM
Your team will be pretty good next year, but nowhere near as talented as this year.

Say you lose Knight and Kanter, but pick up Teague and Gilchrist you're right back where you started. You have to get sick of this constant carousel at some point, right? You don't even barely get to know the players...

Really good points. I'm excited about our future, in fact on Rupp Rafters someone jokingly posted they are "concerned about our lack of commitments for 2013". You're right we really don't get to know our players as much as we'd like. It's starting to make everyone just as excited about late April, and we're all wondering if this late April madness will bring us a NC.

To your point, I enjoy hearing a player at UK (not unlike Duke fans) say that his time at our school was special, and you wonder as a UK fan how sincere they could be after just one year. Experience (as you guys know) doesn't solidify during one season. I think collectively we are all curious about whether or not UK could be the anomaly, which to me could change the face of recruiting for all programs henceforth, imo. If UK could win it all with one-and-doners, do you see Coach K approaching things differently? His recipe now works great! I just wonder if other programs will conform, and if so who will be the first to follow, or defy?

I'm not sure if it was OK or OK St. several years ago that was scoring something like 120 ppg. because they would shoot within the first 20 seconds of possesion, and it "worked", just not for the long-haul, but the novelty kept everyone attentive. I don't know if Cal is going to change the face of recruiting or if it's more flash-in-the-pan stuff, ala OK (St?). It's been no less than interesting, not just to UK fans, but across the board. I think most b'ball fans are curious if the sport can produce a "successful" anomoly.