PDA

View Full Version : New Uniforms?

DeBlueDevil
04-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Not trying to "nit pick" but with all the things going our way as of recent. I just thought for next season...wouldn't it be cool if we had a fresh look for uniforms?!?! I preferably like the old ones that we wore back when we won the championship with JWill and the gang. But I think we should switch up the look haha...I also typically like the black jerseys as well but people tend to stray from those...but we need a fresh look!!!!

moonpie23
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM
maybe Kyle could whip up a new design.. :)

bluedevil2012
04-22-2010, 10:39 AM
The only change I want to see is getting rid of that tattooing/graffiti stuff on the back of our jerseys. Let's stay classic.

These were always my favorites:

http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BG&Date=20100402&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=4020328&Ref=AR&Profile=1088&MaxW=350

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/jay_williams_duke.jpg

DeBlueDevil
04-22-2010, 10:53 AM
The only change I want to see is getting rid of that tattooing/graffiti stuff on the back of our jerseys. Let's stay classic.

These were always my favorites:

http://cmsimg.indystar.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=BG&Date=20100402&Category=SPORTS04&ArtNo=4020328&Ref=AR&Profile=1088&MaxW=350

http://www.thesunblog.com/sports/archives/jay_williams_duke.jpg

My thoughts exactly!! Those are the ones I want to see and if not the exact ones then something pretty similar....I'm not a fan of the graphics just doesn't fit with the traditional feel of Duke

Jarhead
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
My thoughts exactly!! Those are the ones I want to see and if not the exact ones then something pretty similar....I'm not a fan of the graphics just doesn't fit with the traditional feel of Duke

I am sure that you all know that the uni with the graphic design embedded in the fabric was a spin off of the Nike design for Coach K's Olympic team. By the '12-'13 season we are likely to see another new design, especially if we win the Gold medal again. Go K! Go USA! Go Duke! GTHC!!!

moonpie23
04-22-2010, 11:41 AM
maybe go back and keep it more "traditional"

monkey
04-22-2010, 11:46 AM

Maybe I'm too young to appreciate it but that 60s jersey = ugly.

No black jerseys. No black in the uni at all please.

How about early 90s with some longer shorts?

Neals384
04-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Go ahead and change the road uniforms if you want, but the white uniforms were just PERFECT!

Big Pappa
04-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Go ahead and change the road uniforms if you want, but the white uniforms were just PERFECT!

I very much agree with this. I also really like the design on the back of the jerseys, apparently contrary to the rest of the posters on this board lol.

dliles
04-22-2010, 12:08 PM
For what it's worth, I return to the unsubstantiated belief each season that we seem to have those foul laden games when wearing the home whites. Has anyone seen data to support whether or not certain colors and patterns in the uniform make a difference in what the official sees?

DeBlueDevil
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM
I very much agree with this. I also really like the design on the back of the jerseys, apparently contrary to the rest of the posters on this board lol.

I guess I wouldn't say that I don't like the current white uniforms...I guess I just like the ones from above better. But if everyone else likes them I'm in...I mean we did win a NC with them hahaha....I still can't see why no one likes the black!! I'm a big fan of them. Actually own a Scheyer Jersey and shorts to go with :) I'm happy if you're happy tho

bluedevil2012
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM

lol I cringe whenever a TV camera zooms in on the back of those things.

Kewlswim
04-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Hi,

We just won a national championship with the current jerseys. To me that makes them amazingly beautiful. Keep them as they are.

GO DUKE!

Big Pappa
04-22-2010, 12:20 PM
I guess I wouldn't say that I don't like the current white uniforms...I guess I just like the ones from above better. But if everyone else likes them I'm in...I mean we did win a NC with them hahaha....I still can't see why no one likes the black!! I'm a big fan of them. Actually own a Scheyer Jersey and shorts to go with :) I'm happy if you're happy tho

I know I like that black too. Maybe I just have the NC Rose Colored Glasses over my eyes but I think everything about last year was spectacular.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-22-2010, 12:47 PM

It's very simple regarding black: it's not one of Duke's school colors. :cool:

CoBlueDevil
04-22-2010, 12:49 PM
I know I like that black too. Maybe I just have the NC Rose Colored Glasses over my eyes but I think everything about last year was spectacular.

I personally like the new jersey's as well. Last year when they first came around I was a little hesitant, but now, especially after winning it all, I really can't complain. But I will admit, that if they went back I wouldnt be too disapppointed. I am indifferent.

El_Diablo
04-22-2010, 12:56 PM
For what it's worth, I return to the unsubstantiated belief each season that we seem to have those foul laden games when wearing the home whites. Has anyone seen data to support whether or not certain colors and patterns in the uniform make a difference in what the official sees?

Yes, I've read a study about that, using football players with dark jerseys and white jerseys. Basically, participants saw more penalties with the darker uniforms, perhaps playing on the whole light/dark/good/evil distinction.

Not sure how significant the difference was, but it was an interesting study. [It was in a Psych textbook, so I have no link.]

hurleyfor3
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
We don't need new jerseys. What we may need, however, are players from New Jersey. All four titles have featured a starter from NJ (Hurley^2, Williams, LT).

soccerstud2210
04-22-2010, 01:12 PM

agreed. i hate the graffiti stuff on the back. i would actually like to see a retro look for a couple games. go back to the jerseys back in the day!

uh_no
04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
agreed. i hate the graffiti stuff on the back. i would actually like to see a retro look for a couple games. go back to the jerseys back in the day!

yes but K and the team like them....so they're not going anywhere

soccerstud2210
04-22-2010, 01:21 PM
We don't need new jerseys. What we may need, however, are players from New Jersey. All four titles have featured a starter from NJ (Hurley^2, Williams, LT).

KI is from nj..... just sayin.... :)

mkirsh
04-22-2010, 01:34 PM
It's very simple regarding black: it's not one of Duke's school colors. :cool:

Technically, neither is white:

"We know of no document that officially designates blue and white as our school colors. However, there is a color known as Duke blue"

http://library.duke.edu/uarchives/faqs/duke_blue.html

Considering we didn't lose a game in our white uni's last year, I'd love to find a way to wear white on the road and ditch both the black and blue uni's.

As far as the design on the back of the jerseys, many other Nike schools now have them, and I don't think they are going anywhere.

fan345678
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM

and Zoubek.

We've got Kyrie next year.

I think we should put a small star on our jersey for each championship, like soccer teams.

Duke of Nashville
04-22-2010, 01:58 PM
I loved the old Sunday Blues....

http://img2.mlapps.com/jm/img?s=MLM&f=33466799_1751.jpg&v=T

Dev11
04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
As for the black, I don't really mind the black jerseys, but don't the blue jerseys look way cooler with the white stripe on the side rather than the black? Maybe its just me...

http://www.nbafreshmen.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/gerald-henderson.jpg

http://obsessedwithsports.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/grant-hill.jpg

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-22-2010, 02:18 PM

"We know of no document that officially designates blue and white as our school colors. However, there is a color known as Duke blue"

Considering we didn't lose a game in our white uni's last year, I'd love to find a way to wear white on the road and ditch both the black and blue uni's.

As far as the design on the back of the jerseys, many other Nike schools now have them, and I don't think they are going anywhere.

That is correct. It is through custom and usage that white has been viewed as a color to accompany the blue.

DeBlueDevil
04-22-2010, 02:20 PM

Now thats what I'm talking about....bring them back!!!!!

tele
04-22-2010, 02:26 PM
Longest current winning streak in the Country=stet

(and I like the trady uni's myself too)

DeBlueDevil
04-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Also, I do have to point out to everyone atleast we aren't wearing anything with pink trim like the boys @ UNC. Even tho it is for a pretty good cause man does that stuff throw me off haha

kyriecrazy2013
04-22-2010, 03:12 PM

I also love the new jerseys, but I also love road black with blue trim. Blue uniforms are bad luck. I don't remember but one of the players on the 2001 team was very superstitious about uniforms.

swood1000
04-22-2010, 03:14 PM

The graffiti stuff comes from Nike:
https://www.nikemedia.com/en/category/basketball/feature_archive/2009/3/nike_outfits_ncaa_basketball_teams_battle_innovati ve_unif

basket1544
04-22-2010, 09:41 PM
I love the graffiti stuff. I also like the black jerseys... I also would watch our team play in cut-off jeans and t-shirts. So maybe I'm not the one to ask.

Verga3
04-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Think you're on to something....if Nike bites, you are rich. Get to an intellectual property lawyer now. I like it.

moonpie23
04-22-2010, 10:06 PM
yes but K and the team like them....so they're not going anywhere

bingo....and i think they look great too.....come on y'all.....those things are tight !!!

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM

6 (Kyrie^2)

Daniel tosh
04-22-2010, 10:13 PM

These were always my favorites.

sagegrouse
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
I wonder if, as a change of pace, we'd ever have a version like the ones from the Bubas era, where the D - U - K - E were arrayed in a radial pattern like the hours on a clock (http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/seasons/season-stats.php?season=1962-63)?

sagegrouse

banneheim
04-22-2010, 10:20 PM
These were always my favorites.
I agree, get rid of that hologram stuff....

Daniel tosh
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
I agree, get rid of that hologram stuff....

Exactly

Newton_14
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
That is correct. It is through custom and usage that white has been viewed as a color to accompany the blue.

I look at it from the point of view that both white and black are base colors that compliment any school's official colors.

I know some folks do not care for the black uni's and that is cool. On things like this I respect everyone's point of view. I do like the black uni's and I also like the old blue uni's from the early 90's. I think they also wore those same blue uni's early in Jason Williams career as well.

I do have a caveat though. The black uni's need to be reserved for big road games, or big neutral site games. Not for cupcakes, also rans, or NIT bound opponents!:cool:

blazindw
04-22-2010, 10:34 PM
I look at it from the point of view that both white and black are base colors that compliment any school's official colors.

I know some folks do not care for the black uni's and that is cool. On things like this I respect everyone's point of view. I do like the black uni's and I also like the old blue uni's from the early 90's. I think they also wore those same blue uni's early in Jason Williams career as well.

I do have a caveat though. The black uni's need to be reserved for big road games, or big neutral site games. Not for cupcakes, also rans, or NIT bound opponents!:cool:

They wore the blue/white jerseys all the way until the 2005/2006 season, when they switched to the current style with the black trim. I loved those jerseys, and would love to see us get rid of the black trim in the white and blue jerseys.

Also, for those who say that white is just an accompanying color, the fight song is "Blue and White," not "Blue". ;)

DeBlueDevil
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
yea I totally agree...maybe I'm just old school but I'd like to see the old blue and white back. I mean the ones we have aren't terrible but I just feel that Blue and white ones wear worn in the "glory days" and the glory days are back!!! So lets bring back the old school uni

Johnboy
04-22-2010, 11:07 PM

We're in luck (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4861175)!

Johnboy
04-22-2010, 11:14 PM
They wore the blue/white jerseys all the way until the 2005/2006 season, when they switched to the current style with the black trim. I loved those jerseys, and would love to see us get rid of the black trim in the white and blue jerseys.

Also, for those who say that white is just an accompanying color, the fight song is "Blue and White," not "Blue". ;)

+1

DW has nailed it. All other opinions are simply incorrect.

Jarhead
04-22-2010, 11:22 PM

This Duke Magazine article (http://www.dukemagazine.duke.edu/dukemag/issues/030410/blue1.html) in the March/April, 2010, issue supports your linked library article, in a way. It also explains how we have managed to have so many different shades of blue. Basically, the different shades come from the different media in which the color appears. Athletic uniforms, University publications, apparel, official emblems, are varying shades based on the capability of the producers of those items. They are restricted by the color shades that are available to them in their production processes. Pantone colors are one set of standards. I believe that the American Association of Textile Colorists and Chemists, based in the Research Triangle Park, has another set of standards. Manufacturers of athletic uniforms must have another standard, and automobile manufactures have yet another standard.

At Duke, we are tied to each of these sets of standards. Every time I look at the leather folder holding my undergraduate degree I see one shade of blue that differs greatly from today's football uniforms. Everything I have that is something official from Duke seems to have a different shade, except for the Bible that I received at commencement. It's cover is black. There you go. There's the justification for the black uniforms. I still don't like black uniforms. As for the Olympic style uniform we now use for basketball, I like it, but I also like the football uniform modeled after the Indianapolis Colts uniform.

BleedsP287
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I like the idea of the subtle Duke Chapel gothic architecture on the new uniforms, I wouldn't call it graffiti. I do think it could be made to look better if the design were more obviously the Chapel and the color enhanced. I guess I'm saying that in my opinion the idea is good, the implementation could stand improvement.

Not much out there looks better than bright white and Duke Blue, must be why I also have always loved the Colts uniforms. It's the color scheme...

miramar
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM

The team wore an updated version of the exploding DUKE lettering fairly recently and those uniforms looked great. Maybe it's just me, but I thought they looked better than the current home whites.

MidwestDevil
04-23-2010, 09:50 AM
I think fan345678 is on to something--for non-uniform gear though. I think it’d be cool to have an alternate logo similar to the Brazil soccer shield, complete with four stars signifying the four titles. Have it incorporate the block D with the basketball and net, perhaps with just the outline of Kyle’s 17-0 shield, and four stars. How cool would something like that be on a track jacket or some warm-up gear??

flyingdutchdevil
04-23-2010, 09:55 AM
I think fan345678 is on to something--for non-uniform gear though. I think it’d be cool to have an alternate logo similar to the Brazil soccer shield, complete with four stars signifying the four titles. Have it incorporate the block D with the basketball and net, perhaps with just the outline of Kyle’s 17-0 shield, and four stars. How cool would something like that be on a track jacket or some warm-up gear??

Pretty sure that UCLA's track jacket or warm-up gear would look pretty ridiculous...

rsvman
04-23-2010, 12:24 PM

I think it would be really cool. I'd definitely go for that.