PDA

View Full Version : The all-decade seniors team

noyac
04-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Rivals put out an All-Decade Seniors Team and it consists of 4 ACC players (two Duke players)

C Beeker
F Sheldon Williams
G Juan Dixon
G J.J. Redick
G Jameer Nelson

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1076983

Out of the major conferences has the ACC had more four year players or has the ACC just been lucky to havethese great players and lucky that they stayed?

dukejim1
04-22-2010, 10:57 AM
Was Zoubs not eligible? I get confused by the range of decades. Beeker was saved by a year.

jimsumner
04-22-2010, 11:05 AM
In case you're wondering, Rivals.com did correctly spell Shelden's first name.

Channing
04-22-2010, 11:08 AM
No Battier? I probably would have put Battier Ahead of Shelden.

DallasDevil
04-22-2010, 11:18 AM
Seems like a reasonable list, though I would've liked to have seen Battier make the cut. It's unclear whether he was considered for the decade team since he started in the late 90's, but his senior year was within the range. He was the only Naismith winner of the last decade not included in any of their four lists.

Also interesting to note that Jay Williams was one of the three players from North Carolina schools who made the all 3-year player team.

NYC Duke Fan
04-22-2010, 11:38 AM
How could they omit Tyler Hansbrough ?

ZJDUBYA
04-22-2010, 12:11 PM
How could they omit Tyler Hansbrough ?

As much as I hate to say, I agree.

gwlaw99
04-22-2010, 12:14 PM

He removed Beeker and added Hansbrough.

Big Pappa
04-22-2010, 12:22 PM

The just removed Bleeker and added Hansbrough, I also hate to agree but that's the right move.

Lord Ash
04-22-2010, 01:04 PM
I have a feeling that Shane was no eligible, but then again I bet he wasn't considered eligible for the 90s teams either.

I think he should be on the list ahead of Shel, but I do suppose it could be argued either way.

Channing
04-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Beeker = Hansbrough

noyac
04-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Beeker = Hansbrough

Yes that is correct.

brevity
04-22-2010, 02:21 PM
How could they omit Tyler Hansbrough?

Okay, so you didn't see his name. Did you not at least wonder who "Beeker" was? Some one-named foreign-born marvel, like Nene?

C Beeker
F Shelden Williams
G Juan Dixon
G J.J. Redick
G Jameer Nelson

Anyway, it reminds me of this thread (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16713). The inclusion of Juan Dixon here, who played only 3 seasons in that decade (1999-2000, 2000-2001, 2001-2002), tells me that Shane Battier was at least eligible for this particular list.

In that same thread I listed four 4-year players who played entirely in the 2000s and were worthy of consideration: Redick, Hansbrough, Nelson, and Hakim Warrick of Syracuse (who would be a distant fourth).

Out of the major conferences has the ACC had more four year players or has the ACC just been lucky to have these great players and lucky that they stayed?

It more likely reflects an East Coast bias. Sadly, I look guilty of the same above. I still think Redick, Hansbrough, and Nelson top the list, but some options west of the Mississippi include Brandon Roy (Washington); Channing Frye (Arizona); Aaron Brooks (Oregon); Kirk Hinrich, Nick Collison, and Wayne Simien (Kansas); Darren Collison (UCLA); and Danny Granger (New Mexico, eventually). I'm sure I'm forgetting some seniors from Gonzaga and other schools.

Lord Ash
04-22-2010, 02:48 PM
It more likely reflects an East Coast bias. Sadly, I look guilty of the same above. I still think Redick, Hansbrough, and Nelson top the list, but some options west of the Mississippi include Brandon Roy (Washington); Channing Frye (Arizona); Aaron Brooks (Oregon); Kirk Hinrich, Nick Collison, and Wayne Simien (Kansas); Darren Collison (UCLA); and Danny Granger (New Mexico, eventually). I'm sure I'm forgetting some seniors from Gonzaga and other schools.

Hm, is it bias though? Juan Dixon captained a national title team and won National Player of the Year. Shel won the National Defensive Player of the Year twice, was a first team All American, was a finalist for National Player of the Year, and was one of the most totally dominant big men of the decade (leading rebounder in Duke history.) Who on the list you wrote would realistically bump one of those guys from the list? Hinrich's best was third team All American and no title. Roy was an All American, yes, but didn't have any other hardware. Collison maxed out at third team All American. Is there anyone in that group that realistically should replace Shel?

BattierBattalion
04-22-2010, 10:35 PM
Joakim Noah should be in over Shelden or Tyler. Noah was the heart and soul of a two-time NCAA champ. He was their Shane Battier, the guy who did all the little things that didn't appear in the stats but were the difference between winning and losing.

That list is too fixated on raw stats. Tyler wasn't even the best/most important player on his team; he just had gaudy numbers.

FireOgilvie
04-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Joakim Noah should be in over Shelden or Tyler. Noah was the heart and soul of a two-time NCAA champ. He was their Shane Battier, the guy who did all the little things that didn't appear in the stats but were the difference between winning and losing.

That list is too fixated on raw stats. Tyler wasn't even the best/most important player on his team; he just had gaudy numbers.

Noah left after his junior year and wasn't eligible for this particular list.

Vincetaylor
04-22-2010, 11:03 PM
Hate to say it, but Hansbrough(aka Psycho T, Beeker, etc.) is the best senior of the decade in my opinion. I am a huge, huge Duke fan, but I have to give the guy his props. I'd have Shane Battier as the 2nd best. Dixon vs. JJ is debatable. JJ ended up as the all time ACC leading scorer, but Dixon did lead his team to two final fours and a championship.

BattierBattalion
04-23-2010, 07:09 AM
Noah left after his junior year and wasn't eligible for this particular list.

You're right. My bad.

Lord Ash
04-23-2010, 07:16 AM
Hate to say it, but Hansbrough(aka Psycho T, Beeker, etc.) is the best senior of the decade in my opinion. I am a huge, huge Duke fan, but I have to give the guy his props. I'd have Shane Battier as the 2nd best. Dixon vs. JJ is debatable. JJ ended up as the all time ACC leading scorer, but Dixon did lead his team to two final fours and a championship.

As long as Shane is in the running, IMO he is the best. Both won titles, both were excellent players (Hans was a prolific scorer from the start) but a three time National Defensive Player of the Year is, in my humble opinion, more important. I may be a touch biased, but...

Exiled_Devil
04-23-2010, 08:38 AM
No Battier? I probably would have put Battier Ahead of Sheldeneveryone

There, I fixed that for you.

Shane had a more diverse game than Shelden or T-Hans, with power inside and range outside. He was also arguably the best defender of the decade - three time Defensive National POY - although one of those was in 1999.

Still, Shane's better than anyone on that list. I would likely drop a gaurd to keep him and have him play the 3. Probably Dixon.

Looking at the team, they don't have any real PG's on there. Maybe Nelson, but IIRC, he was a 2 guard who handled sometimes. Still, I would think that there would be some quality PG seniors in the last decade.

Lord Ash
04-23-2010, 08:40 AM

Shane had a more diverse game than Shelden or T-Hans, with power inside and range outside. He was also absolutely the best defender of the decade - three time Defensive National POY - although one of those was in 1999.

:)

jimsumner
04-23-2010, 09:39 AM
"Juan Dixon captained a national title team and won National Player of the Year"

Dixon did captain a national title team as a senior. But he did not win any national POY awards.

Lord Ash
04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
"Juan Dixon captained a national title team and won National Player of the Year"

Dixon did captain a national title team as a senior. But he did not win any national POY awards.

Oh? I thought he had. Sorry! So much for ye olde memory:)

He did, however, make first team ACC three times, first team All American, won the Lowe's Senior award, the tourney MVP, and ACC Player of the Year. Can I trade those all for a national POY award?:)

jimsumner
04-23-2010, 11:35 AM
2002 was curious. Jason Williams won the national POY awards but Dixon edged him for ACC POY 41-38. Mike Dunleavy inexplicably received 4 votes.

You can do the math.

It also was the year that Ed Nelson won ROY over the much more talented Julius Hodge, as the voters apparently recoiled from some of Hodges' more thuggish behavior.

Keep in mind that the national and conference awards were voted on prior to the post-season.

blueprofessor
04-23-2010, 12:31 PM
A polish coach, a team with holes, and a walking king...:D

http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1077062

Best regards--Blueprofessor:)