PDA

View Full Version : Football, Fútbol, Futebol, Soccer

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

BlueDevilJay
04-01-2008, 10:14 AM
Are any of you soccer fans as well as Duke Bball fans? Ive been playing and watching soccer since I was 4, and love the sport as much as, if not more, than basketball. Huge fan of Arsenal FC (English Premier League) and of course the US National Team. Just wondered if any of you also follow "the beautiful game" and who are your teams.

jimbonelson
04-01-2008, 10:37 AM
although i do not have a favorite team i really enjoy watching Christiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.

BlueDevilJay
04-01-2008, 10:46 AM
although i do not have a favorite team i really enjoy watching Christiano Ronaldo from Manchester United.

I'd probably enjoy watching him a bit more if he didn't play for ManUre. I don't mind watching when he is with Portugal though. Quite a talent for sure.

Lavabe
04-01-2008, 11:56 AM
Are any of you soccer fans as well as Duke Bball fans? Ive been playing and watching soccer since I was 4, and love the sport as much as, if not more, than basketball. Huge fan of Arsenal FC (English Premier League) and of course the US National Team. Just wondered if any of you also follow "the beautiful game" and who are your teams.

You'll never walk alone.

May the better team win in UEFA.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Master Shake
04-01-2008, 12:04 PM
I follow West Ham-- there's another one on here too (I'm talking to you Forever Blowing Bubbles). So now that Duke Basketball is over, I get to watch West Ham languish in mid-table. Not as exciting as last year but I guess a little stability is in order.

Kdogg
04-01-2008, 12:14 PM

I've lived in the States since I was three, but was born in North London. My father was a Gunner's fan so bother my brother and I are fans. There is a big game tommorrow vs Liverpool.

asbcheeks
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
Huge fan of Arsenal FC

Dont you mean Ar5ena1 FC?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/2008/02/25/sfgche125.jpg

BlueDevilJay
04-01-2008, 12:37 PM
I've lived in the States since I was three, but was born in North London. My father was a Gunner's fan so bother my brother and I are fans. There is a big game tommorrow vs Liverpool.

Kdogg, awesome! Glad to find a fellow Gooner on the site. As for West Ham, I saw the "Forever Blowing Bubbles" poster which is what made me think to start this thread. The Hammers are a good squad even if they are midtable, and they ALWAYS give us fits home and away it seems. As for Lavabe, good luck over the next three games, but don't forget Arsenal's CL form is quite different from their domestic at the moment. We just finished going to the San Siro and eliminating the holders, and now can go ahead and rid the competition of the previous season's holders as well :) In all honesty, I see both games as being draws (CL) with Arsenal going through on away goals. League I have a feeling you guys will get the W, but at this point, after we took only 4 pts out of 15 (excluding the AMAZING comeback Sat vs Bolton) I feel our league hopes have been extinguished, and we will go even harder after the one we have never won. Remember, Torres doesn't score away from the Kop :D

BlueDevilJay
04-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Dont you mean Ar5ena1 FC?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/2008/02/25/sfgche125.jpg

Yes, congrats on the ONE victory over us in whats it now?? 10 years? But seriously, congrats on taking the Carling Sp*rs.

greybeard
04-01-2008, 01:15 PM
I favor Barcelona (Messi is insane) and Real Madrid (I still love vanI and what can you say about Ronalbino), but can still get into the quick touches of the premier league even though they keep giving up the best of their best to Spain. Henre (?) seems to have lost something in his transfer South but when he played for Arsenal, there was none better. Rooney is the most amazing combination of brute force and light touch I have seen in any sport; pity that Ronaldinio is not younger, as he can come close to matching Rooney's strength and you can't push what you can't catch.

Yeap, I love watching football, and, given the choice between a good match and anything other than Duke Carolina, I'd go with the match, even though I never played football in my life and find trying to kick the thing correctly (other than a push pass) as befuddling as trying to hit a 5 iron, which is pretty darn befuddling. Nice post!

BlueDevilJay
04-01-2008, 02:42 PM
I favor Barcelona (Messi is insane) and Real Madrid (I still love vanI and what can you say about Ronalbino), but can still get into the quick touches of the premier league even though they keep giving up the best of their best to Spain. Henre (?) seems to have lost something in his transfer South but when he played for Arsenal, there was none better. Rooney is the most amazing combination of brute force and light touch I have seen in any sport; pity that Ronaldinio is not younger, as he can come close to matching Rooney's strength and you can't push what you can't catch.

Yeap, I love watching football, and, given the choice between a good match and anything other than Duke Carolina, I'd go with the match, even though I never played football in my life and find trying to kick the thing correctly (other than a push pass) as befuddling as trying to hit a 5 iron, which is pretty darn befuddling. Nice post!

You sound like me as far as viewing habits. I'd much rather watch a "football" match as opposed to anything other than a Duke basketball game. Of course not just any football match (like 99% of the games played in the MLS, Galaxy fan domestically, was WAY before Beckham ever thought of coming over) but pretty much any game in the Prem I can watch.

Regarding Henry, youre right, I think we let him go at just the right time. Not saying we couldn't use him at the Emirates, but he has lost a step, and was a bit of a prima donna at times and would pout on the pitch. Cesc Fabregas has taken over as my new fav player for the Gunners, this kid is just amazing in the midfield. I don't watch the other leagues all that much, but will catch them when Real is playing Barca, or other local derby's are happening.

Watching the US Mens team back in 02 is one of the best memories of my life, took the week off of work, watched them at like 2 or 3 am every morning, and seeing them through to the Final 8 was just incredible. Ill def never forget that week with my best friend and I celebrating in the living room after we squeaked into the knockout round thanks to the hosts, S Korea, and then demolished Mexico, which is ALWAYS fun to watch.

Glad you like the thread. I suppose its time I finally contribute SOMETHING to this site :)

BlueDevilJay
04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
In related news, ManUre and Roma just kicked off in the Champions League. Im watching it via SoccerNet at least until I get out of here at 4pm.

greybeard
04-01-2008, 02:55 PM
DC United fan myself. Really enjoyed it when Marco was in his prime, and they had a defense that was world class--Pope, the Lefty, and the big Latino guy whose name starts with an S and who was able to get forward and score the ball, along with Ritchie (the little guy) as a defensive mid-fielder--Morano and Diaz-Arsee up front.

Landon is such a talent but somehow there is a but, if you know what I mean. Somehow I get the feeling that his teammates really don't take to him, not that they dislike him, just that they don't relate the way you'd expect.

jimbonelson
04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
In related news, ManUre and Roma just kicked off in the Champions League. Im watching it via SoccerNet at least until I get out of here at 4pm. manchester u up 1-0 at half

Lavabe
04-01-2008, 07:00 PM

I know ... waiting with baited breath for that one.

Truth be told, I really enjoyed Highbury. My wife and I saw a game there with Bergkamp vs. Southampton (LaTiss). Honestly, it was a good time, and REALLY enjoyable. My wife and I would go back in a heartbeat. I would take going to a Premiership game over all but two sporting venues:
CIS
Any Triple Crown Race

Is there a Gunners' podcast out there? The NYC Liverpool Supporter''s Club has a wonderful podcast... REALLY neat.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
04-01-2008, 08:04 PM
Chelsea fan here. After failing miserably to win the Carling Cup a Champions League cup is in order. Chelsea lost too much ground in the Prem to win it, United is unstoppable, even though they come to the Bridge one more time. Injuries to Petr Cech and Africa Nations Cup killed the Blues, losing Drogba, Kalou, Obi Mikel, and Essien for a month.

Though that win over the Gunner last week was glorious:) :)

FreezingDevil
04-02-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm an American but grew up mainly in London. I am absolutely obsessed with soccer, especially when it comes to US soccer and the EPL. I really wish we could get a solid thread up here about all things soccer.

Also, how ridiculous was that C. Ronaldo goal against Roma today? He completely flew out of nowhere!

bfree
04-02-2008, 12:49 AM
http://www.nancarrow-webdesk.com/warehouse/storage2/2007-w41/img.30074_t.jpg

Duke in Glasgow will do that to you :)

DevilAlumna
04-02-2008, 01:57 AM
Duke in Glasgow will do that to you :)

Dunno, I did that program, and didn't come away with much of a deeper football appreciation, beyond understanding that the Rangers/Celtic Rivalry may in fact be deeper than the Duke/UNC rivalry.

I was a fan of DC United when I lived there -- seeing a game in RFK on a nice sunny Saturday when the Screaming Eagles were in full force was a LOT of fun. I also saw the very first WUSA game there. Ahh, memories.

Lavabe
04-02-2008, 05:29 AM
Glad you like the thread. I suppose its time I finally contribute SOMETHING to this site :)

I suggest that the moderators retitle this thread "All things soccer." The cycling thread is a good central location to find all things cycling, so having one devoted to soccer seems like a good idea. In the last year, we've had some 20+ threads with soccer related main topics, and some 199 threads or so with mentions of soccer. Jimbonelson and greybeard have started a number of threads (I still love greybeard's "Fraulines Rock" thread). We had another thread about where to watch soccer in Greensboro, NCAA soccer threads, a NZ Women's soccer thread (Duke connection), soccer injury threads, World Cup threads, etc... Technically, the old board also had a Men's World Cup pick'em pool as well.

Here's the site for Liverpool-NY (http://www.lfcny.org/) supporter's club; see MULTIMEDIA for the podcast info.

Here's to a tough game in the CL!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

yachtrock
04-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Lifelong Gunners fan. Grew up near White Heart Lane, but couldn't take the locals. Ian Wright showed me the light. Also a huge 'Gers fan. Can't wait to sneak out for a long late lunch today to watch some CL.

BlueDevilJay
04-02-2008, 07:52 AM
Awesome, I figured there were quite a few on here. Lavabe, I WISH I could have made it to Highbury before they moved to the Grove, but alas my daughter came along and drained the savings account I had set aside for that :)

On a CL note, ManU just looked unstoppable yesterday, but Barca was there for the taking, and any team left other than Schalke would have buried them in the first leg.

For my Chelski friend, don't forget we took 3 points at the Grove earlier in the season, BUT yall are not too far back to win it. You still have ManU (as you stated) and they still have us going to Old Trafford as well, where we could easily nick a draw Im thinking. I wince at the thought of helping either your boys or ManU win anything, but its going to happen. We slipped in form for a few, and the title slipped through our fingers concurrently.

I really want the CL though and would take it over domestic at least for this season. Arsenal is too good of a club to not have a CL title under their belt. Barca freaking destroyed me a few years back, and I felt robbed after waiting that long to make a final, and being down to 10 men only 18 minutes in. I scared my wife and child when Campbell hit the net (after Eboue's blatant dive obviously) running through the house kissing the crest :)

Lavabe, we have this site http://www.arsenalamerica.com and there IS an Arsenal Hour podcast on Champions Soccer Radio Network. The link to their site is below. I listen to them as well as World Soccer Daily.

http://www.championssoccerradio.com

Edit: Also I did see there were other soccer threads out there but they appeared to be dead, and I wanted to make sure I got replies to this one. And here I thought I was the soccer pioneer on this board, starting a thread and all :) J/K of course. The only thing I love talking about as much as Duke basketball is FOOTBALL, so this response to this thread has made my day :)

Lavabe
04-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Awesome, I figured there were quite a few on here. Lavabe, I WISH I could have made it to Highbury before they moved to the Grove, but alas my daughter came along and drained the savings account I had set aside for that :)

Highbury was a real treasure and very intimate. How is the Grove in terms of Tube access?

And meanwhile, Liverpool will move at some point soon. Then again, Liverpool's ownership issues are not completely resolved yet, and that is probably the bigger issue.

Although Torres scores at home, I look for a good ol' fashioned Gerrard goal today. Here's to a great match!

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
04-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Im looking forward to a great match as well today. Ill have to listen to the first half here at work via Arsenal.com, but should be home from work in time to see the last 30 min or so hopefully. I can't believe we play your boys 3 times in a row, almost like last year with the FA Cup and Carling. Im not sure about the tube access to Ashburton Grove as I haven't been able to get over for a match yet, but I've heard its just a short walk from Highbury so I'm assuming you'd arrive in the same place and just have a short walk to the Emirates. Good luck today man. (Im now off to start another thread about something I've recently become hooked on :) )

Deslok
04-02-2008, 10:13 AM
Looking forward to the matches tonight, though I'm a somewhat neutral observer(but I'm kind of anti-arsenal among the EPL clubs). Even though it will mean another morning awake at 3am or so(Korean time differences can be so inconvenient sometimes). Chelsea should cruise(its not like they are up against Barnsley or anything), and based on recent form, I have to think Liverpool should be favored over Arsenal. Since Feb 11, Arsenal have had 1 good performance, there 2-0 take down of AC Milan in the earlier round of CL action. And I don't care who you are, I don't think I'd ever want to head to Anfield with less than a three goal cushion.

And I don't know how one could say that Man U looked unstoppable last night. I thought their defense was ripe for the taking, Roma was just too incompetent to make them pay for it. Park and Anderson were very ineffective last night. Had Totti been fit, that match would have been much more interesting. Ronaldo's header was great though, Scholes ball was such a soft lofted ball and he came up on it running full bore. Usually players have to generate power on headers from a relatively stationary position but he was barrelling down on the ball as it was.

And just to note, the two teams I follow closest are ones with US ties, Everton and FulhAm-erica... though the latter appears destined for relagation, since they couldn't get a needed 3 off Derby.

yachtrock
04-02-2008, 10:16 AM
The Grove is a 3 minute walk from Arsenal station, and 10 minutes from Highbury&Islington. I recommend a visit.

TampaDuke
04-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Another Gunners fan here. When they have it going, their play is a thing of art.

Enjoyed going to Tampa Bay Mutiny games in the late 90's, but haven't watched much MLS since they disintegrated right around the same time the local cable began showing a lot more Premier League games.

I also somewhat follow, via internet anyway, the Bundesliga. I spent some time as a young military brat in Karlsruhe so I'm always hoping that they do well (or at least stay in the top flight for awhile).

Kdogg
04-02-2008, 12:00 PM
I know ... waiting with baited breath for that one.

Truth be told, I really enjoyed Highbury. My wife and I saw a game there with Bergkamp vs. Southampton (LaTiss). Honestly, it was a good time, and REALLY enjoyable. My wife and I would go back in a heartbeat. I would take going to a Premiership game over all but two sporting venues:
CIS
Any Triple Crown Race

Is there a Gunners' podcast out there? The NYC Liverpool Supporter''s Club has a wonderful podcast... REALLY neat.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Highbury was a wonderful place to watch a match. I was sad to see us leave. Emirates, though, is very impressive. Great sight lines throughout the whole place. Outside of CIS, I think it's the best place to watch a sporting event. Tube access is pretty much the same as Highbury. Post match it's a shuffle to get to the station (Arsenal - Pic). I usually walk to Finsbury Park, but if you want to use the Arsenal station walk past it than swing back around.

Kdogg
04-02-2008, 12:10 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

The only one I know of is http://www.arsenal.com/article.asp?thisNav=News&article=410478&lid=NewsHeadline&Title=Download+the+O2+Arsenal+Podcast+-+for+FREE! . I usually only listen to the pre-match bits. Wenger also sends out a post-match newsletter but it tends to be more diplomatic than informative.

killerleft
04-02-2008, 12:15 PM
Long live the EPL! I adopted Derby County after their stirring play to get them in the league for this year. What a disaster! For a small sum I will switch to a team somebody doesn't like and bring them down as well.

I really don't have a team to call my own, but love to see the second-tier teams beat the big spenders. I work for AIG but can't seem to pull for Man U. But Ronaldo does several amazing things a game whether he scores or not.

For some reason that storky Peter Crouch is one of my favorites.

BlueDevilJay
04-02-2008, 12:26 PM
Looking forward to the matches tonight, though I'm a somewhat neutral observer(but I'm kind of anti-arsenal among the EPL clubs). Even though it will mean another morning awake at 3am or so(Korean time differences can be so inconvenient sometimes). Chelsea should cruise(its not like they are up against Barnsley or anything), and based on recent form, I have to think Liverpool should be favored over Arsenal. Since Feb 11, Arsenal have had 1 good performance, there 2-0 take down of AC Milan in the earlier round of CL action. And I don't care who you are, I don't think I'd ever want to head to Anfield with less than a three goal cushion.

And I don't know how one could say that Man U looked unstoppable last night. I thought their defense was ripe for the taking, Roma was just too incompetent to make them pay for it. Park and Anderson were very ineffective last night. Had Totti been fit, that match would have been much more interesting. Ronaldo's header was great though, Scholes ball was such a soft lofted ball and he came up on it running full bore. Usually players have to generate power on headers from a relatively stationary position but he was barrelling down on the ball as it was.

And just to note, the two teams I follow closest are ones with US ties, Everton and FulhAm-erica... though the latter appears destined for relagation, since they couldn't get a needed 3 off Derby.

I didn't have a chance to see the entire ManU match, but from what I saw of it, they were never in any real danger of losing the tie. And I'm also basing that on their current form, I don't see them losing anytime soon.

Yeah Arsenal have had their worst dip in form since Wenger came, and had they not performed the miraculous comeback at the Reebok on Saturday, it would have been the worst streak of Wenger's Arsenal career. Thank God they never quit on that game. I also follow FulhAmerica as well, huge US MNT supporter so I like watching Dempsey getting his feet wet over there and being in the spotlight. Glad that McBride recovered from his injury as well.

As for the time difference with Korea, it SUCKED for me too during the 02 World Cup when my best friend and I had to get up around 3-4 am every day to watch the matches. We just took the week off of work to watch, but I also think the games being played in the middle of the night here, made it that much more special to enjoy. We would run outside yelling when one hit the back of the net for the US and actually heard another guy just down the street doing the same. Instant friendship came from that, ah the memories :)

BlueDevilJay
04-02-2008, 12:27 PM
Long live the EPL! I adopted Derby County after their stirring play to get them in the league for this year. What a disaster! For a small sum I will switch to a team somebody doesn't like and bring them down as well.

I really don't have a team to call my own, but love to see the second-tier teams beat the big spenders. I work for AIG but can't seem to pull for Man U. But Ronaldo does several amazing things a game whether he scores or not.

For some reason that storky Peter Crouch is one of my favorites.

Peter Crouch's other half is one of my favorites, Abby Clancy :)

awhom111
04-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I watched the first ever MLS games when I was a kid and I sure hope that the San Jose Earthquakes can make a good comeback!

The first team I ever rooted for was Blackburn Rovers and I also follow Monarcas Morelia in the Mexican League. For the Champions League, I support the English teams and Barcelona.

Lavabe
04-02-2008, 01:54 PM

You could do us all a favor, and start rooting for the Holes!;)

BlueDevilJay
04-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Getting nervous yet Lavabe?? The time draws nigh.....

Up the Arsenal, Up the Gunners, Come on Arsenal!!!

Quick, KillerLeft, I have a Steven Gerrard jersey for you to wear around 2:45 pm today!

Kdogg
04-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Arsenal 1 - Liverpool 1.
I would have preferred 0 - 0 (or the win :) ).
One match down, two to go.

Lavabe
04-02-2008, 06:07 PM
1-1 at Arsenal... we'll take it.:)

Deslok
04-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Liverpool should be very happy to escape with a 1-1 draw. Its a good result for an away side, gaining the away goal without conceding a victory. But especially so since they got dominated by Arsenal. Especially in the 2nd half Liverpool barely even tried to mount a sustained attack, just clear it out, and if still in possession try a long ball to Torres(who is good enough that twice it came close to costing Arsenal dearly). And of course, the Gunners would have had the lead except for a fine save by Bendtner... way to block that shot by a teammate.

Lavabe
04-02-2008, 06:39 PM
I watched the first ever MLS games when I was a kid and I sure hope that the San Jose Earthquakes can make a good comeback!

The first team I ever rooted for was Blackburn Rovers and I also follow Monarcas Morelia in the Mexican League. For the Champions League, I support the English teams and Barcelona.

Wow ... post #1 goes to the soccer thread! Nice work!!

First team I ever rooted for was ... NASL COSMOS. Ricky Davis came to our school to talk about soccer. This was while the Cosmos played at Randall's Island (sp?). Later they brought in Pele, Franz, Giorgio, Carlos Alberto, and everyone. They moved to the Meadowlands, and brought us Saturday 6PM televised recaps of Bundesliga and English Premier League (Division One).

I adopted Liverpool in 1989, while listening to BBC World Service shortwave.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
04-02-2008, 08:25 PM
A

For my Chelski friend, don't forget we took 3 points at the Grove earlier in the season, BUT yall are not too far back to win it. You still have ManU (as you stated) and they still have us going to Old Trafford as well, where we could easily nick a draw Im thinking. I wince at the thought of helping either your boys or ManU win anything, but its going to happen. We slipped in form for a few, and the title slipped through our fingers concurrently.

I guess you're right, but Chelsea just doesn't seem to have the umph this year and they dont take maximum points against all the teams they should. They blew the Carling Cup and today against Fenerbache was a disaster. I think they can win 2-0 at the Bridge but they dont make it easy on themselves. ManU ha been the dominant team this season and I dont expect that to change. Arsenal really blew it but I wont complain. Losing Jose Mourinho really hurt the Blues. (He's Old, He's Glum, He's not the Special One, Avram Grant)

As for the CL, even though Chelsea got an easy group and easy draws (Olympiakos and Fenerbache) they have not taken advantage on the road in the 1st leg. 0-0 in Greece and 1-2 in Turkey. Lucky for Chelsea they got the favorable draws, quality teams would have killed them. I like ManU to win the thing, but as always I hope they dont.

Chelsea pissed away two trophies this year, Carling and FA, not guarenteed they would have won the FA, but they could beat any of the remaining teams.

killerleft
04-02-2008, 11:21 PM
You could do us all a favor, and start rooting for the Holes!;)

If it will work, maybe I can be hypnotized:) .

And to BlueDevilJay: Crouch has very good taste! I had to google Abby Clancy to find out who she is, and she is well worth googling!! Alas, I read the Gerrard jersey offer too late. DVR'd the match. Arsenal thoroughly outplayed Liverpool.

BlueDevilJay
04-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Yeah words can't quite describe how gutted I am that we aren't heading to the Kop with a 2-1 or even 3-1 lead. How much more dominant can we be without scoring?? Normally Arsenal are accused of trying to dribble the ball into the net, but that wasn't the case today, it was more unlucky than anything. And on Bendtner's save, for some reason the commentator said he was offside, but there was a defender ON THE GOAL LINE, but they still flagged for offsides anyways....Ive been in the sport for nearly 30 years, but am I missing something on the offside rule? There was a defender behind him.

Regardless, he was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. RVP should have killed the match off after supersub Walcott sent him through with one of his trademark speed dashes to the touchline, then cut it back for RVP in front of net....and he totally bottled the chance.

Oh well, I know Pool fans will take it, but I think Arsenal are still in good shape despite failing to kill the tie off at home. We did the same with Milan earlier, dominated them at home, went to San Siro needing to do the same thing, and did it in style. The Kop dind't keep many of our shots out last season in a FA and Carling sweep within 3 days, and I think we are going through with either a 1-0 or 2-1 scoreline in 6 days. Liverpool never even LOOKED like scoring yesterday and their lone goal was the result of a lucky bounce (similar to Fabregas' goal at the Reebok on Saturday). For all the grief Gallas gets, he did a number on Torres yesterday.

Up the Arsenal, Come on YOU GOONERS!!!!

BlueDevilJay
04-03-2008, 08:14 AM
If it will work, maybe I can be hypnotized:) .

And to BlueDevilJay: Crouch has very good taste! I had to google Abby Clancy to find out who she is, and she is well worth googling!! Alas, I read the Gerrard jersey offer too late. DVR'd the match. Arsenal thoroughly outplayed Liverpool.

Dude....Abby has just become the new model for the British equivilent of AXE body spray....I dont see how she is attracted to Crouch though. A few others you should look up, Ashley Cole's wife Cheryl (Cole or Tweedy), whom he just got caught cheating on, what a MORON. Keeley Hazell is another nice British number.

I used to be in love with Victoria Beckham before she decided to go all anorexic and looks like a toothpick.

Sorry, you can't discuss world football without discussing the WAGs from England :)

Deslok
04-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Offsides rule is two defensive players have to be between the offensive player and the goal line(actually now at the same distance as or between). It makes no differentiation between the keeper and anyone else. Typically that means one defender must be behind the offensive player, because the keeper will be as well. On the play in question, the keeper was out of the net, and ahead of Bendtner, so there was only 1 defender between him and the goal line.

To add further confusion, there was actually a defender out of bounds behind the goal line, having followed whoever it was that made the cross(if you look at a replay, you'll see the two of them tumble off to the left of the goal).

I'll be surprised if Arsenal advances. Yeah, they were the completely superior team on Tuesday, but Liverpool at home is a different club, and Benitez is about as good as they get at making appropriate adjustments between legs to move his squad on. Add in Van Persie not being 100% and I expect things to go to the 'pool.

BlueDevilJay
04-03-2008, 08:40 AM
That was why they called the offsides then, because that defender had carried across the goal line and was technically out of bounds at the time the ball reached Bendtner. And yes the keeper counts as a defender in the "two defender" scenario, as when playing forward, I always can beat the offside trap by staying with the last defender and breaking as soon as the ball is hit. I was wondering yesterday if that defender who was in the goal was considered to be out of bounds since he fell across the goal line as the ball was coming in. I did see that defender there which is why I was confused about the offside call, as he was "behind" Nick in terms of position on the field. Either way, just bad luck for Nick on that one.

I agree too that Liverpool is a different beast at home, but our team last year was not all that different from this years squad (I'd even suggest we are BETTER this year) and we took both there, against full Liverpool squads, and I think they can do it again. I really hope so, as this is the only trophy we are left playing for now. Had we lost those two last season, I wouldn't have the confidence heading into the 2nd leg that I do, and I figure your anti-Arsenal bias might play a slight role in your prediction :)

Lavabe
04-03-2008, 08:47 AM
Offsides rule is two defensive players have to be between the offensive player and the goal line(actually now at the same distance as or between). It makes no differentiation between the keeper and anyone else. Typically that means one defender must be behind the offensive player, because the keeper will be as well. On the play in question, the keeper was out of the net, and ahead of Bendtner, so there was only 1 defender between him and the goal line.

To add further confusion, there was actually a defender out of bounds behind the goal line, having followed whoever it was that made the cross(if you look at a replay, you'll see the two of them tumble off to the left of the goal).

I'll be surprised if Arsenal advances. Yeah, they were the completely superior team on Tuesday, but Liverpool at home is a different club, and Benitez is about as good as they get at making appropriate adjustments between legs to move his squad on. Add in Van Persie not being 100% and I expect things to go to the 'pool.

I have to agree with Des on this one. Rafa manages CL games differently from his Premiership ones. Yesterday's object was to pack it in for a tie, plain and simple. His rotation of stars is designed for just such a tourney. And remember ... Torres in the Kop is a lot different (if we knew why, we'd be managing the team).

I saw that tumble as well ... rather bizarre. And Des's observation was spot on. You need two ...it need not be the keeper.

The strategy is SO different when you play away. It's my one biggest issue with CL vs. EPL. It also probably explains why Liverpool haven't won the home awards during Rafa's tenure.

It will be interesting at the Kop.
Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
04-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah it def will be. Here's to at least a good match there, win or lose.

And here is a link for the Abby Clancy lovers....I mean DANG!!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=552920&in_page_id=1773

BlueDevilJay
04-03-2008, 09:23 AM
As well, THIS article confirms to me beyond any doubt as to why a penalty wasn't called on Kuyt when he took Hleb down in the box during the first half. Supporter of either side or a neutral, there is no way you can say the tackle on Hleb wasn't a penalty. And now this article is released regarding Kuyt and the referee....figures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=555388&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Deslok
04-03-2008, 09:43 AM
As well, THIS article confirms to me beyond any doubt as to why a penalty wasn't called on Kuyt when he took Hleb down in the box during the first half. Supporter of either side or a neutral, there is no way you can say the tackle on Hleb wasn't a penalty. And now this article is released regarding Kuyt and the referee....figures.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=555388&in_page_id=1779&ct=5

Actually, I thought he didn't call a penalty because Hleb flopped it. If he'd at least tried to fight through it and gone down the ref might have called it. But he tried to make it look worse than it was and just went straight down. The ref looking right at the play could see Hleb play it up, and probably felt he couldn't call a penalty when he wasn't absolutely certain the fall was the result of a tug rather than a dive. For just that reason I was kind of glad he didn't call it(note, I'm not actually disputing that it could have legitimately been called a penalty - though I don't think it was the 100% obvious call as you claim - but anything that penalizes flopping isn't a bad thing)

BlueDevilJay
04-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I agree with you about the penalizing diving. I just didn't see this one as a flop from Hleb, he certainly doesn't have the reputation for diving, like Eboue does, can't stand that kid. If the ref saw it as a dive, I'd agree with not calling it, or maybe even handing Hleb a yellow for diving, but a call should have been made one way or another, there was clearly enough contact to warrant it.

That being said, that call was not the reason we didn't beat them yesterday, we failed to take advantage of our numerous other chances, so I'm in no way trying to suggest the ref cost us the W, just saying we should have had a penalty there, IMO.

greybeard
04-03-2008, 10:19 AM
About diving: lots of time I get it, that is, that that is what happened. In the penalty box, it is pernicious. Perhaps changing the hard-fast penalty kick for a foul would clean things up.

But, here's what I don't know, having never played the game. A number of times, the guy with the ball has a defender try to tackle it while the guy with the ball is in the process of changing direction. Seems to me he faces the prospect of getting hurt or diving over the attempted tackle. If he dives and avoids the unavoidable contact and thereby gives up the ball, isn't it "right" to call the tackle a foul even though the tackler did not take the guy's legs because the guy dove?

BlueDevilJay
04-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Well, therein is where Deslok's term is more appropriate, in flopping. When I say the word dive, I mean a player going to ground in an attempt to draw a foul on the opponent, when the challenge did not cause him to go to ground, in other words, falling down as a way of play acting. Now for a player to actually have to dive, as in jump forward to hurdle an opposing player that is attempting and succeeds in stealing the ball, no, that is not in the rules a foul, as no contact was made, and the defender succeeded in playing the ball.

greybeard
04-03-2008, 11:59 AM
Well, therein is where Deslok's term is more appropriate, in flopping. When I say the word dive, I mean a player going to ground in an attempt to draw a foul on the opponent, when the challenge did not cause him to go to ground, in other words, falling down as a way of play acting. Now for a player to actually have to dive, as in jump forward to hurdle an opposing player that is attempting and succeeds in stealing the ball, no, that is not in the rules a foul, as no contact was made, and the defender succeeded in playing the ball.

Let me refine it. You see guys slide tackle when and the guy with the ball has started a cut, and he goes to ground, literally in a dive, perhaps after making contact with the sliding foot and perhaps not. The ref whistles it a foul. It does not appear that the foot caused the dive or fall, rather that that was the diver's choice. It seems a righteous play, but I do not know because I never played. Anyway, the call is frequently made even though there was no "deliberate" dangerous play and no actual trip. Is that a "good" call or an example of diving that draws a call that shouldn't have been made?

It seems that that call is included in the controversy over dives that are designed to draw a call when a guy is going to lose the ball righteously. I guess I want to know whether a defensive (against injury) dive that draws a foul call against the defender is considered "good" soccer and good refereeing.

Lavabe
04-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Well, today's tussle in the EPL was loaded with substitutes. Crouch started (Torres came in at the 80th minute mark), and Gerrard came in at the 66th minute mark. Big starters were subs today. Crouch scored just before the half. Bendtner scored shortly after the start of the 2nd half.

The next game w/these two is at Anfield for CL. I expect Torres and Gerrard will start, now that they are fresh.

Today's tie probably hurt Gunners in their attempt to reach the top of the table.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
04-08-2008, 04:44 PM
Pretty ugly game to send Liverpool through. Both sides seemed to be off their games with more than a few unforced errors. The penalty looked worse than it was, without replay it looked rather clear but 2nd viewing makes it a tough call to be one to send Arsenal home with.

And Chelsea picks up a very late goal of their own to edge past Fenerbache.

Lavabe
04-08-2008, 05:57 PM
Pretty ugly game to send Liverpool through. Both sides seemed to be off their games with more than a few unforced errors. The penalty looked worse than it was, without replay it looked rather clear but 2nd viewing makes it a tough call to be one to send Arsenal home with.

Here's the soccernet description:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=238333&cc=5901

Sometimes Rafa outsmarts himself with the rotation. I wonder what would have happened had he not pulled Crouchy. Sounds like the Crouch substitution led to a defensive lapse, that had Gunners draw even VERY late.

Sounds like a "soft" penalty in the box from the description, but Arsenal should have been back on D faster. No excuse that some Gunners were "celebrating" which ultimately led to Liverpool's break.

Glad to see that Crouch/Torres played well. On to Chelsea!
Cheers,
Lavabe

MrBisonDevil
04-08-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm not a soccer fan now, but I will be by 2010. I will be in Capetown, South Africa, June 17 - 24th, 2010. :)

Ben63
04-08-2008, 07:02 PM

Chelsea would have advanced anyway with a 1-0 win. Assuming a 1-0 finish at the Bridge, aggregate=2-2, Chelsea had 1 away goal while Fenerbache had none.

GO BLUES!!

FreezingDevil
04-08-2008, 07:23 PM

I thought today's CL Liverpool-Arsenal match was one of the most exciting I have ever seen. Yes, both seems looked sloppy with the ball at times, but that does not take away from the excitement and spirit of the match. All the goals were well taken and the penalty was the right call. All and all, a great match and congratulations to Liverpool for a gutty win.

Kdogg
04-08-2008, 07:28 PM
Here's the soccernet description:http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=238333&cc=5901

Sounds like a "soft" penalty in the box from the description, but Arsenal should have been back on D faster. No excuse that some Gunners were "celebrating" which ultimately led to Liverpool's break.

Lavabe

In basketball it would be called a ticky-tack foul. It's the Gunners fault though....just poor defense. Arsenal's season pretty much paralleled Duke bball. We here's to next year. With England out of Euro 2008, it's going to be a long spell without football for me.

Deslok
04-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I realized that about half an hour after I posted(and honestly, wasn't paying all that much attention to that game as the other match was considerably more interesting). No great shock that they advanced, though they struggled more than they should have. I haven't seen Barca play much this year, but I know at least Man U has looked a good deal stronger than what I've seen from Chelsea and Liverpool of late(and yes, there are matches to be played tonight, but does anyone really expect Roma or Schalke to pull it out on the road?).

Ahhh well, now to read up on some Arsenal pouting ;).

Lavabe
04-08-2008, 10:24 PM
With England out of Euro 2008, it's going to be a long spell without football for me.

This seems to be the bigger issue. Still can't believe this.
Cheers,
Lavabe

YmoBeThere
04-08-2008, 10:35 PM
This seems to be the bigger issue. Still can't believe this.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Not a big deal, the Brits have been overrated since some time shortly after 1966...

blazindw
04-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Die hard fan of Real Madrid and USA Men. I cheer hard for DC United...I've followed them since the MLS started, but really started attending games and such last summer when I moved up here. I follow Chelsea in the EPL. Soccer is probably the sport (outside of basketball) that I watch the most. I mean, I probably watch about 12-15 hours a week of soccer on average (not counting "Dream Team", my soccer soap opera that airs on FSC with my favorite fictional team, Harchester United).

BlueDevilJay
04-09-2008, 07:29 AM
Im a big Harchester Utd fan too dude! :)

That being said, Im absolutely gutted about yesterday. Allowing myself to calm down a bit before posting helped I suppose. I was ticked about the penalty given, which still was not a penalty, but either way, we didn't finish the chances we had which would have made that a moot point. Oh well, another season without silverware for the Gunners, maybe next year.

Lavabe
04-09-2008, 08:42 AM
Oh well, another season without silverware for the Gunners, maybe next year.

At least y'all have won EPL/FA silverware lately, compared with my team.;) Kop-ites are proud of the CL success, but would kill for another taste of English honors.

And you have stable management.;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

blazindw
04-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Im a big Harchester Utd fan too dude! :)

The Dragon's Lair!!! :)

GDT
04-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Are any of you soccer fans as well as Duke Bball fans?

http://deselby.com/assets/images/eve%20tottenham%20small.jpg

COYS!

BlueDevilJay
04-11-2008, 07:43 AM
http://deselby.com/assets/images/eve%20tottenham%20small.jpg

COYS!

Dude....Im sorry, but that should seriously be looked into as child abuse right there :P Spuds??? Sp*rs??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! (of course, I jest....kinda ;)

Lavabe
04-11-2008, 08:14 AM
Dude....Im sorry, but that should seriously be looked into as child abuse right there :P Spuds??? Sp*rs??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! (of course, I jest....kinda ;)

It only took HOW long before a response from a Gunners fan?;)

FWIW, I think we have now passed the length of any previous soccer thread on the OTB.

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. the title is North London Derby

Deslok
04-11-2008, 08:31 AM
It only took HOW long before a response from a Gunners fan?;)

FWIW, I think we have now passed the length of any previous soccer thread on the OTB.

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. the title is North London Derby

Besides... at least that baby can talk about bringing home a trophy this year ;)

BlueDevilJay
04-11-2008, 12:08 PM
Yeah, true. That Carling Cup is something they should display with honor, since they can't even qualify for the other big tournaments.

Lavabe, why the correction for the Derby? Did someone misspell it somewhere?

Lavabe
04-11-2008, 12:39 PM
Yeah, true. That Carling Cup is something they should display with honor, since they can't even qualify for the other big tournaments.

Lavabe, why the correction for the Derby? Did someone misspell it somewhere?

I always look at the main body of text before sending it in. I then noticed that I misspelled Derby in the title. EGADS! You can't use the edit feature for the title.

Just for clarification sake: it's pronounced DAR-bee in Britain, but DERRR-bee in Kentucky.

Spurs have been VERY peculiar this year.

Cheers,
Lavabe

asbcheeks
04-11-2008, 01:27 PM
Besides... at least that baby can talk about bringing home a trophy this year ;)

What he said.

http://photos-h.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-sf2p/v238/21/45/644386956/n644386956_760839_5998.jpg

BlueDevilJay
04-11-2008, 01:58 PM
I always look at the main body of text before sending it in. I then noticed that I misspelled Derby in the title. EGADS! You can't use the edit feature for the title.

Just for clarification sake: it's pronounced DAR-bee in Britain, but DERRR-bee in Kentucky.

Spurs have been VERY peculiar this year.

Cheers,
Lavabe

I gotcha, I rarely ever even notice the "Title" in people's posts, so I didn't see it. And yeah, people around here ask me when I write it on my white board here at the office, "What's a DURBEE??" to which I then correct them by saying DAHRBEE, and explain it to them.

Re: Spurs, being that I'm not from London or anything, I really don't have the deep seeded hatred that locals there do, BUT I find it humorous about their fans crowing over a 5-1 beating of Arsenal in a meaningless cup competition where we typically field a squad of mainly reserves, AND its the first time in 9 years they have beaten us in anything. But as far as the teams I despise, I'd put Chelski and ManURE way up there above Sp*ds. Liverpool is challenging there now though, after the crap I'm getting from their fans over Tuesday, when I'm sorry, but I will never concede that was a penalty, and I think deep down, Pool fans know it wasn't. Saying it wasn't but oh well what can you do is one thing, but to gloat in my face when the refs handed that match to them sets me off. (Not saying you've done that because you haven't, but a couple of guys here at work are about to get floored if they decide to get in my face about it again)

laettnerisadoll
04-13-2008, 01:01 AM
I am admittedly on the Chelsea bandwagon. I also have to go purchase New England Revolution tickets so that I might be able to see David Beckham play in person in my lifetime.

Ben63
04-13-2008, 01:14 PM
The Gunners really could have helped my beloved Blues today, but once again Utd. had to crush the hope of the Gunners and Chelsea. A draw and an easy Chelsea win over Wigan tomorrow would have left the Blues a point behind and ManU and Chelsea still have to play each other. A championship game for sure. There would have been a Chelsea/Utd championship last year but the Blues had to draw against Newcastle to stay 4 pts back goin into the game.

Sorry for the rambling and thanks alot to the damn Gooners.

Lavabe
04-13-2008, 01:53 PM
The Gunners really could have helped my beloved Blues today, but once again Utd. had to crush the hope of the Gunners and Chelsea. A draw and an easy Chelsea win over Wigan tomorrow would have left the Blues a point behind and ManU and Chelsea still have to play each other. A championship game for sure. There would have been a Chelsea/Utd championship last year but the Blues had to draw against Newcastle to stay 4 pts back goin into the game.

Sorry for the rambling and thanks alot to the damn Gooners.

Meanwhile, the Kop-ites are halfway between Everton and Arsenal, in fourth place (enough to qualify for CL). 5 pts out of Arsenal, with matches left against Fulham, ManCity, Birmingham City, and Spurs. What's left for Gunners in the EPL?

FWIW, Derby is just plain sad. Who's coming up for the next season?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
04-13-2008, 09:52 PM
FWIW, Derby is just plain sad. Who's coming up for the next season?

Any chance they pick up 5 more points to not be the worst Prem team ever?? They have 11 and the record for fewest is 15. Four matches remain.

@ West Ham
Arsenal
@Blackburn
Reading

I say no, they may pick up 3 against Reading but thats it.

As for next year, Stoke and West Brom are the top two, and have been the best all year. Others in contention are: Bristol City, Hull, Watford, and Crystal Palace.

Deslok
04-13-2008, 10:26 PM
Of course, the bigger question to me is what happens to the group of Americans sitting in the relegation zone. Fulham have games vs Liverpool, Man City, Birmingham, and Portsmouth to go, and still sit 4 points below the line after picking up a desperately needed win. Its not actually inconceivable that they could surive, especially if they could pick up points against Liverpool. Ridiculous you say? Perhaps, but remember that the Tuesday after that game, Liverpool and Chelsea will tackle in leg 1 of their Champions League semifinal. So guess where there focus will be(and perhaps, which players will be rested ahead of that match). Hmmm... sounds a bit like last year, doesn't it?

awhom111
04-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Of course, the bigger question to me is what happens to the group of Americans sitting in the relegation zone. Fulham have games vs Liverpool, Man City, Birmingham, and Portsmouth to go, and still sit 4 points below the line after picking up a desperately needed win. Its not actually inconceivable that they could surive, especially if they could pick up points against Liverpool. Ridiculous you say? Perhaps, but remember that the Tuesday after that game, Liverpool and Chelsea will tackle in leg 1 of their Champions League semifinal. So guess where there focus will be(and perhaps, which players will be rested ahead of that match). Hmmm... sounds a bit like last year, doesn't it?

That's actually a decent run-in given that Birmingham is a big six-pointer. Liverpool and Portsmouth are focusing on other competitions right now. Man City will be tough at the Eastlands, even if they tend to trip themselves up a lot.

BlueDevilJay
04-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Grats to ManURE for taking the game yesterday. No qualms about it, we just didn't finish our chances which could have killed the game off in the first half. Adebayor appears to have my disease, called Cupcake Syndrome, whereas any forward continuously misses routine 'sitters' or "cupcakes" and fails to deliver for said players team. I had 5 chances myself on Saturday morning in my adult soccer league, 3 put directly to the keeper, 1 was a blast off the crossbar, the last was a diving header from a corner, which pinged off the far post and out of touch.....Alas, my finishing touch shall return, as I hope Manu's does as well. Next season Gunners....

Lavabe
04-14-2008, 07:41 PM
Its not actually inconceivable that they could surive, especially if they could pick up points against Liverpool. Ridiculous you say? Perhaps, but remember that the Tuesday after that game, Liverpool and Chelsea will tackle in leg 1 of their Champions League semifinal. So guess where there focus will be(and perhaps, which players will be rested ahead of that match). Hmmm... sounds a bit like last year, doesn't it?

I'm thinking that with Rafa's rotation system, things change. Some of the likely stars are sitting on the bench, waiting for their chance to show their stuff so that some team will pick them up. I sincerely doubt that Crouch starts in CL, so I expect that he'll use any EPL starts for audition purposes.

But I could be VERY wrong ... and it wouldn't be the first time!;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
04-14-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm thinking that with Rafa's rotation system, things change. Some of the likely stars are sitting on the bench, waiting for their chance to show their stuff so that some team will pick them up. I sincerely doubt that Crouch starts in CL, so I expect that he'll use any EPL starts for audition purposes.

But I could be VERY wrong ... and it wouldn't be the first time!;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

It was just last year that Liverpool pretty much sat their entire starting lineup late in the year vs Fulham, which gave them crucial points in their drive to stay up, wasn't it? So who knows.

Congrats to Emile Heskey, for pretty much icing the title for Man U this year. Scored a late equalizer to hold Chelsea to a 1-1 draw by Wigan AT Stamford Bridge. That puts them 5 points down, plus huge goal differential(so even if Chelsea win all their games, including taking down Man U, Man U would need to either lose another, or tie 2 more games to lose the title). The not so special one needs some CL success now.

Ben63
04-16-2008, 05:42 PM
What a classic Celtic - Rangers match today. Not all that important on the grand scheme of things, but an instant classic. Celtic broke the 1-1 deadlock in injury time to claim 3 points.

soccerdevil
04-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I play right back for my school team and i love Manchester United. Rooney is my favorite player.

I love the EPL Fanzone games. The ManU Arsenal game was hilarious. I wish they would try doing some college basketball games like that.

Ben63
04-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I play right back for my school team and i love Manchester United. Rooney is my favorite player.

I love the EPL Fanzone games. The ManU Arsenal game was hilarious. I wish they would try doing some college basketball games like that.

FanZone is the best show ever, except when they put it on at like 1AM. But yeah it rocks.

BlueDevilJay
04-17-2008, 08:06 AM

Yeah FanZone is really cool when Arsenal wins, not so much when ManU do :) (I also play, right midfielder, and forward)

Fanzone would do great here in America in some sports, especially like a Duke v UNC game or something. BUT in most sports here, the fans aren't quite as passionate as the soccer fans are across the pond.

Lavabe
04-19-2008, 09:51 PM
Fulham includes Kasey Keller, Dempsey, and McBride.

Liverpool prepped for Tuesday's CL home showdown with Chelsea. Pennant and Crouch scored. Meanwhile, subs included Xabi, Carra, and Torres (didn't play). Hyypia suffered a minor injury, but will be ready for Tuesday.

Looking for a good CL performance from the Reds.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
04-20-2008, 12:09 AM
Fulham includes Kasey Keller, Dempsey, and McBride.

Liverpool prepped for Tuesday's CL home showdown with Chelsea. Pennant and Crouch scored. Meanwhile, subs included Xabi, Carra, and Torres (didn't play). Hyypia suffered a minor injury, but will be ready for Tuesday.

Looking for a good CL performance from the Reds.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Let's go Blues!! Chelsea's 6 days of rest will be a benefit and will be a factor on Tues. I would love to see a draw at Anfield and a win at the Bridge but football is unpredictable, I know it wont be that easy. Wouldn't be the end of the world if Chelsea lost 1-0, anymore than that and their in trouble.

Prediction: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea, Kuyt and Drogba with the goals.

Lavabe
04-21-2008, 04:41 AM
Let's go Blues!! Chelsea's 6 days of rest will be a benefit and will be a factor on Tues. I would love to see a draw at Anfield and a win at the Bridge but football is unpredictable, I know it wont be that easy. Wouldn't be the end of the world if Chelsea lost 1-0, anymore than that and their in trouble.

Prediction: Liverpool 1-1 Chelsea, Kuyt and Drogba with the goals.

Prediction: Liverpool 2-0 Chelsea: At Anfield=Torres on the loose. Kuyt may score away, but Torres rules the Kop. Hard to figure who'll get the second, given Rafa's rotation. Logic dictates the second should come from Torres, Crouch, or Gerrard, but I'll go with one of the less common goal scorers, as Torres will receive double-teams. I hate to say it, but I suspect that Crouch will sit.

BlueDevilJay
04-22-2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah I also have to agree, Liverpool will take this one over the two legs. The special one couldn't take down Liverpool in the CL, and you think Avram Grant will be able to? I don't think so, especially with the home cooking Liverpool receives at Anfield. It will be a Liverpool v ManU final, and I never thought I'd pull for ManU in anything, but Id have to in that case.

Lavabe
04-22-2008, 11:51 AM
Yeah I also have to agree, Liverpool will take this one over the two legs. The special one couldn't take down Liverpool in the CL, and you think Avram Grant will be able to? I don't think so, especially with the home cooking Liverpool receives at Anfield. It will be a Liverpool v ManU final, and I never thought I'd pull for ManU in anything, but Id have to in that case.

Gee, thanks.;)

Things to do list:
1) Beat Chelsea
2) Beat ManU
3) Get decent owners

You'll never walk alone!
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
04-22-2008, 01:48 PM
Gee, thanks.;)

Things to do list:
1) Beat Chelsea
2) Beat ManU
3) Get decent owners

You'll never walk alone!
Lavabe

Sorry dude. I imagine you'd feel the same had the last CL match left the bad taste in your mouth that it did for me. Not too many times do I blame anything other than the team for losing a match, but that 2 legged event was determined by the one with the whistle. Not moaning about it anymore, just giving a bit of reason for my Liverpool disgust at the moment. I really wish there were a way for Barca to pull it out, but I just don't see it happening.

Ben63
04-22-2008, 04:40 PM
To All the Liverpool fans-

Sorry about that one, it must be absolutley brutal to have it end that way. But I'm not going to complain, and I was right on the score and the Kuyt would provide the Liverpool goal. I did not expect Riise to score the one for Chelsea, but as we all know, football is unpredictable. GO BLUES!!!!

Ben 63

Lavabe
04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
To All the Liverpool fans-

Sorry about that one, it must be absolutley brutal to have it end that way. But I'm not going to complain, and I was right on the score and the Kuyt would provide the Liverpool goal. I did not expect Riise to score the one for Chelsea, but as we all know, football is unpredictable. GO BLUES!!!!

Ben 63

Oy... that hurt. 90th minute own goal.

That just plain old hurt.

UGH!

Bloody rotation ... Crouch on the bench.

Lavabe

Deslok
04-22-2008, 06:57 PM
On the bright side, your 2-0 prediction was accurate, you just forgot to specify which goals Liverpool would score 2 in ;)

I think the 1-1 result was deserved though. Chelsea had the better of the play between the areas for much of the 2nd half, but their lack of touch in the area was killing what should have been good chances. Will make for a very interesting tie back at Stamford bridge.

Oh well, either way I'm hoping for an EPL final... because we know English teams have done so well this past year playing big pressure matches in Russia ;)

BlueDevilJay
04-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Okay, not directed to the Liverpoool fans on here (Lavabe, youre a cool guy, I just cant rub that one in to a guy like yourself) but to their OBNOXIOUS fans at the Kop, oh WOW how does that feel to think youre going to Stamford Bridge with a HUGE advantage of not giving up an away goal, only to have your own player execute a perfect diving header, at the ABSOLUTE DEATH!!!! Oh my God, I wouldn't have had it any other way! That was better than one of Chelsea's players putting it in the net. Here's to a 0-0 draw (which isn't hard to fathom with these two super attacking teams :rolleyes: ) and then either Barca or ManU killing Chelsea in the finals.

killerleft
04-23-2008, 08:48 AM
Liverpool: The Maryland of the EPL?

I like Liverpool.

Lavabe
04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
Okay, not directed to the Liverpoool fans on here (Lavabe, youre a cool guy, I just cant rub that one in to a guy like yourself) but to their OBNOXIOUS fans at the Kop, oh WOW how does that feel to think youre going to Stamford Bridge with a HUGE advantage of not giving up an away goal, only to have your own player execute a perfect diving header, at the ABSOLUTE DEATH!!!! Oh my God, I wouldn't have had it any other way! That was better than one of Chelsea's players putting it in the net. Here's to a 0-0 draw (which isn't hard to fathom with these two super attacking teams :rolleyes: ) and then either Barca or ManU killing Chelsea in the finals.

There is a serious danger in playing for a 0-0 draw. I would welcome a chance to see Chelsea pack it in, and have most of the action occur near Petr. An even greater danger is how Terry will have to play, given that he received a yellow. He simply cannot risk another yellow. Pack it in, and I'd watch the aerial game with Crouch.

ASSUMING of course that Rafa allows Crouch to play.:rolleyes:

It's either 2-0 Chelsea, or 0-2 Liverpool. If it's Chelsea, choose any two World Cup starters on the team (except Lampard). If it's Liverpool, Crouch and Xabi. Whichever team scores a goal first will probably get another one when the other team responds by bringing everything towards the attack.

Des: How did Gerrard play? He was coming off a neck injury, and I've seen many reports that said he was officially fit (but not really).

FWIW, if Chelsea wins, I would thoroughly wear blue in support against ManUre. I loathe the Trafford-ites.

Cheers,
Lavabe

pigs2k1
04-23-2008, 11:37 AM
Props to Ben63 on calling the Kuyt goal. And the Riise OG was just brutal.

Des: How did Gerrard play? He was coming off a neck injury, and I've seen many reports that said he was officially fit (but not really).

I'm not Deslok, but I thought Gerrard looked fine; he had some nice touches, including one that Torres should have finished, and a nice shot towards the end that required a pretty nice save from Cech. For all the talk about Torres at Anfield, he really couldn't get anything going...flubbed a wide-open touch outside the penalty area, and a couple shots right at Cech.

BlueDevilJay
04-23-2008, 12:14 PM
FWIW, if Chelsea wins, I would thoroughly wear blue in support against ManUre. I loathe the Trafford-ites.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Im in agreement with you there, so here's to a Barca victory today and not conceding an away goal.

Ben63
04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Props to Ben63 on calling the Kuyt goal. And the Riise OG was just brutal.

Thanks; and I thought the Riise goal was hilarious.

Chelsea didn't look real strong, and I wouldnt be surprised to see them blow it at the Bridge but they are on the fast track to win the tie. Predictions later. Depends on this weekend's Prem game and the various injuries.

Deslok
04-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Gerrard looked fine. Maybe a slight step of top form but no more than that(he looked better than Lampard did). As noted, Torres was more the main culprit for lack of a better result. As good as he'd been at home putting away his chances he didn't do much with 3 or so really good chances. He put shots on net, but right at Cech for relatively easy parries away.

BlueDevilJay
04-24-2008, 08:10 AM
Thanks; and I thought the Riise goal was hilarious.

Chelsea didn't look real strong, and I wouldnt be surprised to see them blow it at the Bridge but they are on the fast track to win the tie. Predictions later. Depends on this weekend's Prem game and the various injuries.

I found the OG to be quite hilarious myself Ben. I told my best friend (A HUGE MANURE supporter) that the only way it could have been better would have been if Gerrard, Hyppia, and Babel, had all collided in the box, and the ball rolled off of them into the net. Fitting result for a team that didn't deserve to be in the semifinals to begin with.

My money is on Chelsea for the 2nd leg, seeing that Torres is non existant away from the Kop, and Liverpool haven't scored at Stamford Bridge in NINE YEARS!!! I know that history has no bearing on the future games, but that can be a huge psychological advantage for Chelsea. Im sure it will be another boring game though, with me figuring Chelsea to advance and meet Barca.

The greatest player to ever lace them up (according to my ManURE friends) missed a PENALTY??!!?? In probably the biggest game of his career to date?? LMAO! I sincerely hope they draw 1-1 at Old Trafford, and he is left to RUE the missed penalty. RUE I tell you!!! :D

Ben63
04-26-2008, 10:11 AM
How bout dem Blues!!!! Beating the Red Devils was huge. This should give us the confidence to beat Liverpool and advance the CL finals. However if Chelsea plays Man U in the finals, think Utd. would win it. But Chelsea can beat Barca.

Official CL picks later still.

Lavabe
04-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Stranger things have happened. CRonaldo misses a PK.:D Liverpool playing in Istanbul comes to mind. A 1-1 tie at the Bridge?

Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
04-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Right now, ManU needs to worry about the health of their backline. They'd been solid there most of the year, but have struggled the past few games(I was rather mystified by their attempts at marking Chelsea up front, as they seemed to give way too much ground and we're just asking for trouble before Ballack finally gave Chelsea the lead.

I still think Man U will end up topping the table, since matching Chelsea's performance in the final 2 games will see them through. And since Chelsea is also going to be focusing on CL matches, it could be tough to win out(and they have what could be a dangerous game vs Bolton upcoming, since Bolton is amidst the group that are fighting for their lives to stay above the relegation zone). Especially since Fulham just pulled a game out of their rears that seemed to be over and done an hour in(and consequently, would have made their season just about over and done). And now they've got a do or die vs Birmingham, where neither side can really afford just a tie, and with it at Craven Cottage, Fulham just might find a way to survive which was looking really unlikely a few weeks ago.

Lavabe
04-26-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm wondering... with 3 games left, Derby is -59 on goal difference (they have scored only 17 goals all season). Will either of these stats break EPL records? WOW!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
04-26-2008, 05:47 PM
I'm wondering... with 3 games left, Derby is -59 on goal difference (they have scored only 17 goals all season). Will either of these stats break EPL records? WOW!
Cheers,
Lavabe

They only have one win on the year in all competition and still need 5 points from 3 games to avoid being worst ever. With only 3 games remaining (Arsenal, @Blackburn, and Home to Reading) I can only see them picking up 3 more pts at most (v Reading.)

As for GD, I'm not sure hope it breaks the record because anything worse than that is dreadful.

Lavabe
04-28-2008, 07:20 AM
How bout dem Blues!!!! Beating the Red Devils was huge. This should give us the confidence to beat Liverpool and advance the CL finals. However if Chelsea plays Man U in the finals, think Utd. would win it. But Chelsea can beat Barca.

Official CL picks later still.

Check out the Bridge activity (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=529568&cc=5901) that's being investigated. Sure hope things are a little more level-headed this week.

BlueDevilJay
04-28-2008, 07:42 AM
Check out the Bridge activity (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=529568&cc=5901) that's being investigated. Sure hope things are a little more level-headed this week.

Interesting that Chelsea always seem to be involved with these, no matter the team they are playing....I remember one back in the Carling Cup final last season as well. Still pulling for Chelski to dump Liverpool this week though, then lose to Barca in the finals. God knows that ManURE fans will be worse than UNC fans should they actually win the double this season.

Ben63
04-28-2008, 07:38 PM
Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool

Aggregate 2-2. This one is going to PK's.

Chelsea would love a 0-0 draw so I think they will be content to sit back and play good defense. However, given space and time, Liverpool will put one in, and it will be Steven Gerrard. Panicking, Avram Grant will sub in Nikolas Anelka for a 3rd striker to equalize. Anelka will score with less than 10 minutes to go. Nothing significant will happen in Extra Time.

Winner= Chelsea in PK's

BlueDevilJay
04-29-2008, 07:41 AM
Does anyone ever catch "Im on Setanta Sports" with the puppets of The special one, Sven, and Rooney? Used to just be Mourinho obviously but they have added, and 'Rooney' told a good joke yesterday.

Did you hear why John Arne Riise got pulled over by the police yesterday while driving?? They had to pull him over and ticket him for "heading in the wrong direction".

I nearly fell off the couch laughing at that one. Be Champions!

Deslok
04-29-2008, 05:04 PM
180 minutes of action and the difference is... Scholes? Really? I would have come up with a lot of names before expecting him to be the one to put either side in the final. Without Vidic the ManU defense looked exploitable, but Barca could never seem to get the last pass through to really threaten. 2 clean sheets sans Vidic is impressive, I didn't think they'd be able to do that(and winning without Rooney up front).

Ben63
04-29-2008, 05:17 PM
With all the firepower Barca has up front I'm honestly surprised they didn't put one in. You mean to tell me between Eto'o, Henry, and Messi they couln't get one measly goal?!?! Congrats to Utd. but I really expected more from Barca. I thought 2-1 would be more reasonable but what do I know??

Lavabe
04-30-2008, 06:24 AM
Well, the pitch should be soggy, the weather will be cold & wet, so it should be dreadful to watch, BUT ...

I'll stick with my 0-2/2-0 prediction. Whoever doesn't score the opening goal will open things up too far, and that will lead to a second goal.

Of course, I'll go with Liverpool. After the first 20 minutes, Chelsea will pack in the defense, and play for the 0-0 draw. I'll go with goals from Crouch and Torres (weird rotation). On the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if Chelsea won 2-0, even without Lampard.

Still annoyed with ManU.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
04-30-2008, 07:30 AM
I'm amused by ManU's win. Aside from generally rooting for the EPL and their winnin sans Vidic and Rooney, its now going to amuse me to hear about the chaos of 40,000+ fans needing a visa in the next 2 weeks from a single embassy(which reminds me, I need to pick up a visa for Russia for much later this summer). I'm just going to guess that there will be a wee bit of chaos there. And hey, its always amusing to watch English squads head to Russia when the pressure is on, since they always respond so well... oh wait, England isn't playing in Euro 2008?

Lavabe
04-30-2008, 09:16 AM
oh wait, England isn't playing in Euro 2008?

That line pains me to no end. :mad:
I can't root for anyone. France?;)

Perhaps good coaching is in the offing?

UGH!

duke74
04-30-2008, 09:53 AM
I can't root for anyone. France?;)

UGH!

How about Italia? Especially since my man, del Piero, is being added to the side.

BlueDevilJay
04-30-2008, 10:10 AM
How about Italia? Especially since my man, del Piero, is being added to the side.

Ill probably be rooting for Spain myself in the Euro 08 tourney. The recently name PFA Young Footballer of the Year, Cesc Fabregas, will have his opportunity to shine on the world stage (well most of Europe at least) and I fully expect him to do well. I'd like to see Reyes do well also, even though he never panned out in north London.

And come on Lavabe, you didn't like my joke I posted? Even as a Liverpool fan, that had to be funny, right? right??? :D

Lavabe
04-30-2008, 10:30 AM
And come on Lavabe, you didn't like my joke I posted? Even as a Liverpool fan, that had to be funny, right? right??? :D

As Monty Python once said:
"Piles of derisive laughter, Bruce!":D

The fact that football season is ending soon (probably as a direct result of that header), with NO Euro 2008, leaves a pit in my stomach. The most I can hope for is a miracle win (i.e., SCORE) at the Bridge. And if the Reds win at the Bridge today, I'll save some brews for you for your next visit to Lexington.

Regardless of the outcome, it is STILL the beautiful game.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Exiled_Devil
04-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Watched much of ManU-Barcelona yesterday. Nice match. When did Henry move over to Barcelona? I am way out of touch. last time I knew, he played in the premiership.

Well, heres to an all-England Champions League final.

BlueDevilJay
04-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Watched much of ManU-Barcelona yesterday. Nice match. When did Henry move over to Barcelona? I am way out of touch. last time I knew, he played in the premiership.

Well, heres to an all-England Champions League final.

Arsenal sold him to Barca this past summer, so this is his first season there, and probably going to be his last. He isn't liking sitting the bench too much, and he's rumored to be coming back to England.

Lavabe
04-30-2008, 03:35 PM
1-0 at the half at the Bridge.
Drogba with a bullet in the 34th minute.

Lampard is playing.

Liverpool started Benayoun. Skrtel came off with an injury, and Hyypia took his place.

Most of the action is in Liverpool's half. EXTREMELY slippery out there. Liverpool's action has been limited to a few counters, but LOTS of good play from Chelsea. Reina (GK) on Liverpool has been rock steady.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
04-30-2008, 04:52 PM
I'll write it in white, so as not to give it away to those who have yet to watch the second half.

Torres & Liverpool turned up the heat at the beginniing of the second half. At 66 minutes, Torres knocked a set up by Benayoun past Petr.

It seemed as though Liverpool had much the better action in the first 25 minutes of the 2nd half, but then sort of pooped out. Both sides tired after the furious pace of the first half.

Quickly into the first overtime, Chelsea started pressing, especially Drogba. Much of the action was near Reina. Soon after, Essien knocked a bullet past Reina.

Game over. Well played. Only one yellow card.

I'll save an ESB for BlueDevilJay.

Beat ManU!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
04-30-2008, 05:36 PM
I'll write in white for those of you who are watching the replayYEAAAAAAAHHHHH. Blue is the colour!!!!

Immesly enjoyed watching that game. Liverpool did not look into it during the Extra Time, even with the rest this past weekend. I was surprised to see Liverpool tie it up, especially Torres, who as has been previously noted, is nonexistant away from Anfield. Drogba is a godsend for this Chelsea team and what a performance by Lampard. Not much else to say about this one but I hope they go out to Moscow and rip Utd. a new one.

BlueDevilJay
05-01-2008, 07:37 AM
Drogba is a godsend for this Chelsea team

He wont be for much longer. Everything I read says he is leaving at season's end. And I thought the Essien goal got called back for offsides? It was a clear offside, don't know what the Chelsea crowd were upset about. They had FOUR players offside and in Reina's sightline.

Deslok
05-01-2008, 09:33 AM
You have to admit though, it was impressive on Essien's goal. No, I'm not talking about the strike(and it was a dang good one, Essien is a heck of a player on both sides of the ball), I'm talking about the fact that in the course of a normal run of events Chelsea managed to get 4 different players offsides. That's not easy to do. To be fair, only 2 were in the line of the shot, but since 1 is enough to blow the whistle, there was no way it was going to count. The issue wasn't helped by the ref not making a definitive call right away, which is why the Chelsea players spent a good minute celebrating the goal, leading the entire crowd to think it had counted.

As for Drogba leaving, I'll believe it when I see it. Recent success chasing the EPL title and in the CL goes a long way to curing any dissatisfactions among the players. And I'd have to think that Chelsea's management knows how irreplaceable Drogba is and will open the bank for him(if he were to leave, who could they get to replace him... you really think you can buy one of Messi, Toni, etc?).

blazindw
05-01-2008, 10:42 AM
Chelsea 1-1 Liverpool

Aggregate 2-2. This one is going to PK's.

Chelsea would love a 0-0 draw so I think they will be content to sit back and play good defense. However, given space and time, Liverpool will put one in, and it will be Steven Gerrard. Panicking, Avram Grant will sub in Nikolas Anelka for a 3rd striker to equalize. Anelka will score with less than 10 minutes to go. Nothing significant will happen in Extra Time.

Winner= Chelsea in PK's

Wow Ben63, I mean they didn't go to PKs, but that is a pretty close prediction once again. You don't by chance know what the Mega Millions numbers are going to be in the next drawing do you? ;) I was happy that Chelsea finally was able to crack through to the final. What a torrid next few weeks it's going to be for Chelsea and Man U...both tied atop the Premiership, both in the Champions League Final. Either one could end up with an incredible double...I hope it's the Blues.

Ill probably be rooting for Spain myself in the Euro 08 tourney. The recently name PFA Young Footballer of the Year, Cesc Fabregas, will have his opportunity to shine on the world stage (well most of Europe at least) and I fully expect him to do well.

I too will be rooting for La Furia Roja in Euro 2008. When the USA is not playing, they are my favorite team in the world (although the trace of English roots I have make me follow England). I agree that Cesc can be dominant in the tournament as he controls the midfield, but Torres will also do his fair share of damage, and David Villa may surprise once again like he did in Germany '06. One thing I'm hoping for is that Raul gets the nod to be on the national squad once again. He's proven Aragones to be a complete idiot, as Raul has been incredible for my favorite team, Real Madrid. Raul should be on the squad, and if Aragones can see that and select him, I predict at least the semis for Spain.

BlueDevilJay
05-01-2008, 01:33 PM
Wow Ben63, I mean they didn't go to PKs, but that is a pretty close prediction once again. You don't by chance know what the Mega Millions numbers are going to be in the next drawing do you? ;) I was happy that Chelsea finally was able to crack through to the final. What a torrid next few weeks it's going to be for Chelsea and Man U...both tied atop the Premiership, both in the Champions League Final. Either one could end up with an incredible double...I hope it's the Blues.

I too will be rooting for La Furia Roja in Euro 2008. When the USA is not playing, they are my favorite team in the world (although the trace of English roots I have make me follow England). I agree that Cesc can be dominant in the tournament as he controls the midfield, but Torres will also do his fair share of damage, and David Villa may surprise once again like he did in Germany '06. One thing I'm hoping for is that Raul gets the nod to be on the national squad once again. He's proven Aragones to be a complete idiot, as Raul has been incredible for my favorite team, Real Madrid. Raul should be on the squad, and if Aragones can see that and select him, I predict at least the semis for Spain.

Not to take any props away from Ben or anything, but how was that prediction even close? Chelsea scored first, not Liverpool, and it was Torres, not Gerrard, who scored Liverpool's equalizer (and first goal). So it was 1-1 going into extra time. And EVERYTHING that decided the tie actually happened in Extra Time, the penalty (which was a beautiful bit of poetic justice IMHO) and then Drogba finishing it off for the 3-1 scoreline before Liverpool pulled one back that didn't really mean anything. The only part of his prediction that I saw come to fruition was Grant subbing in Anelka with about 10 minutes remaining....am I missing something here?

To Deslok: Sorry man, but Drogba has already basically sealed his exit, as have numerous other Chelsea players (I can't remember individually which ones, but I know Scheva is gone too). The guy has been literally showing how much he wants out lately, sitting in the stands watching IPod videos during a match, running his mouth to the press, etc. Some even think that Grant will be gone even if they manage to win the CL this season, and I think it will happen as well. I know those guys leaving aren't easily replaced, but Roman has already shown he will outbid and outspend any other club in the world, so if it boils down to money for the player, they will be @ Stamford Bridge next season (future players, not current ones). I don't know many guys of the same striking skill as Drogba is right now, and he doesn't disappear in big games either, so no I don't see how they replace his talent, but as far as getting in a big name to replace him, I think they can easily do that. Im also in the camp that thinks Frank Rijkard will be coaching them next season, even though he states he's not leaving the Nou Camp. He forgets he doesn't have the final say in that, and I see him in the Premiership next season. But again this is all just my opinion so who knows.

Now for the summer we have to get some new topics going in here with the CL and PL wrapping up their seasons. I don't know how many watch MLS in here, but I follow the Galaxy (have since they got the franchise due to Cobi Jones). I know the quality isn't there yet, but its been much improved this season and I LOVE watching the SuperClassico's every season between LA and Chivas. If they could only get that atmosphere every week......

Then we have EURO 08, Olympics, US with several high profile matches coming up soon with Spain, Argentina, AND England! I cannot wait for those!

BlueDevilJay
05-01-2008, 01:41 PM
You have to admit though, it was impressive on Essien's goal. No, I'm not talking about the strike(and it was a dang good one, Essien is a heck of a player on both sides of the ball), I'm talking about the fact that in the course of a normal run of events Chelsea managed to get 4 different players offsides. That's not easy to do. To be fair, only 2 were in the line of the shot, but since 1 is enough to blow the whistle, there was no way it was going to count. The issue wasn't helped by the ref not making a definitive call right away, which is why the Chelsea players spent a good minute celebrating the goal, leading the entire crowd to think it had counted.

As for Drogba leaving, I'll believe it when I see it. Recent success chasing the EPL title and in the CL goes a long way to curing any dissatisfactions among the players. And I'd have to think that Chelsea's management knows how irreplaceable Drogba is and will open the bank for him(if he were to leave, who could they get to replace him... you really think you can buy one of Messi, Toni, etc?).

Oh as for the Essien goal, that thing was WICKED! I hated that it got called back personally. How impressive was the first Drogba goal too? Reina appeard to have the near post closed off, but that shot had so much pace on it he didn't have a chance. I sat there with my jaw dropped when I saw the pure speed of that ball! It looked to be in normal shot speed when they did a slo-mo replay of it. Beat Reina not once but TWICE near post, something that doesn't happen often to the guy, but the first goal really had me in awe.

Lavabe
05-01-2008, 02:01 PM
Oh as for the Essien goal, that thing was WICKED! I hated that it got called back personally. How impressive was the first Drogba goal too? Reina appeard to have the near post closed off, but that shot had so much pace on it he didn't have a chance. I sat there with my jaw dropped when I saw the pure speed of that ball! It looked to be in normal shot speed when they did a slo-mo replay of it. Beat Reina not once but TWICE near post, something that doesn't happen often to the guy, but the first goal really had me in awe.

Essien had some scary runs earlier in the game as well. Good move to put him in the game.

As a Liverpool fan, to me Essien's first goal was simply amazing. My jaw dropped, and that did it for me, regardless of the call back. There was no way to cover him.

I can't stand Drogba, but his goal was pure and solid.

Special mention about Lampard: I was among many who thought he would not be playing. I firmly believe that many of Chelsea's set-ups just would not have occurred without him. Amazing that he played that well.

My issue with Rafa is the use of Benayoun, Pennant, and Crouch. Benayoun looked beat when he came off. He had the most energy on the Reds, and set up Torres. I'd love to see better use of the aerial game, but I believe Rafa will get Crouch transferred as soon as EPL is done.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
05-01-2008, 04:35 PM
Drogba: I would hate to see him go, but would not be at all surprised if he did. To keep him, two things must happen

1. Silverware this year (EPL or CL) doesnt have to be both, but at least one
2. Roman Abramovich must open his wallet, and dig in very deep. (If he was willing to put 27 million pounds into and unproductive Shevchenko, why he wouldn't put $$ into a proven player I dont know)

Essien: Also been a very important player this season and in the past few. Has played right back and middy this year and it showed when he was with Ghana for the ACN how much Chelsea really needs him. He has scored numerous important goals, including the tie winner v Valencia in last years CL, but none more impressive than this one (http://youtube.com/watch?v=2QAZI-rtOQ8).

Lampard: All I can say is WOW, it takes a pair to do what he did yesterday

Beat ManU!!!!!!!

Ben63
05-01-2008, 04:38 PM
Wow Ben63, I mean they didn't go to PKs, but that is a pretty close prediction once again. You don't by chance know what the Mega Millions numbers are going to be in the next drawing do you? ;)

Nope sorry :)

Wish I did, but for now I'll stick to soccer prognostication.

But Bluedeviljay was right, I wasnt really that close.

Ben63
05-01-2008, 04:45 PM
And I'd have to think that Chelsea's management knows how irreplaceable Drogba is and will open the bank for him(if he were to leave, who could they get to replace him... you really think you can buy one of Messi, Toni, etc?).

Yes they know how irreplaceable he is, but if he is unhappy than he is worthless, he has proven he can be a cancer in the dressing room.

And yes, Abramovich can buy anyone he wants, he has bottomless funds.

Dont think this will happen, but...Thierry Henry to the Blues??
He is unhappy at Barca and has said he wants to return to the EPL, if Drogba leaves they will need a striker. I'm just saying.

BlueDevilJay
05-01-2008, 05:33 PM
Nope sorry :)

Wish I did, but for now I'll stick to soccer prognostication.

But Bluedeviljay was right, I wasnt really that close.

Sorry Ben, wasn't trying to point out anything against you or anything, was just thinking perhaps he wasn't paying that much attention or something, and I want to keep the now official soccer thread full of fact! :) :rolleyes:

If Henry signs with Chelsea I will publically burn all of my Henry Arsenal merchandise. Theres only one team he could come back to, and that will be Arsenal. Wenger even mentioned last week that he would not rule out an Henry return to the squad.

Ben63
05-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Sorry Ben, wasn't trying to point out anything against you or anything, was just thinking perhaps he wasn't paying that much attention or something, and I want to keep the now official soccer thread full of fact! :) :rolleyes:

If Henry signs with Chelsea I will publically burn all of my Henry Arsenal merchandise. Theres only one team he could come back to, and that will be Arsenal. Wenger even mentioned last week that he would not rule out an Henry return to the squad.

No offense taken, I wasn't really close at all, I understand that. I'm not sure what he was thinking.

As for Henry, I realize the Chelsea theory is far fetched and has a <1% of happening but hey, who knows. Henry going back to Arsenal would be great for the fans, but I think it would hurt the club. They were on pace to win the EPL this year until that 4 pts in 4 games stretch. I like the complection they have going for them, and even though they haven't played well of late, it seems they have just given up on the campaign, not lost the ability.

Henry returning to the Gunners would be devastating for Emmanuel Adebayor, IMO. He is a world class striker but if Henry is there will see less of the ball and I think that would be detrimental to his development into a superstar.

BlueDevilJay
05-02-2008, 07:37 AM
No offense taken, I wasn't really close at all, I understand that. I'm not sure what he was thinking.

As for Henry, I realize the Chelsea theory is far fetched and has a <1% of happening but hey, who knows. Henry going back to Arsenal would be great for the fans, but I think it would hurt the club. They were on pace to win the EPL this year until that 4 pts in 4 games stretch. I like the complection they have going for them, and even though they haven't played well of late, it seems they have just given up on the campaign, not lost the ability.

Henry returning to the Gunners would be devastating for Emmanuel Adebayor, IMO. He is a world class striker but if Henry is there will see less of the ball and I think that would be detrimental to his development into a superstar.

Couldn't have said it better myself man. I dont want Henry back at the Emirates personally, I feel like he will tarnish the legend he left behind, going out on top of his game. Ade, RVP, even Theo up front will only continue to get better and I personally LOVED the makeup of our squad this season. I mean people can say we blew it, but who thought Arsenal would win the title this season? As for the CL, I can't see us getting past Chelsea the way they were playing against Liverpool, but we did deserve one more round, and were it not for shotty reffing, would have had it. Im not the type of fan who blames the ref after every loss, but those two games were obvious to even the neutral fan. Our 4 pts from 15 killed our title chances, as you stated, but injuries killed us at that time as well, missing Rosicky AND Eduardo who was coming into his own as the goal poacher we knew he would be. I seriously, without a homer's red colored glasses, think Arsenal will take the PL next season.

Lavabe
05-02-2008, 09:13 AM
I seriously, without a homer's red colored glasses, think Arsenal will take the PL next season.

Optimism aside, predictions at this point are meaningless. Who knows WHAT will occur with transfers, Euro 2008 action, etc... No way to predict what ManU will do with its coffers. Liverpool management is a mess, but they are also unpredictable. I hate to say it, but I have every reason to believe that ManU will be atop the PL next year. All they need is one major signing.

I suspect that Henry won't do anything until after Euro 2008 (and maximize P.R.). When's the transfer window? Hopefully Diaby will mend quickly. But yes, Henry would hurt Arsenal. Now what happens if he goes to Spurs to join their most recent signing?

I guess I am officially pulling for France over Italy in the Euro group of death. ;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
05-02-2008, 09:24 AM
Optimism aside, predictions at this point are meaningless. Who knows WHAT will occur with transfers, Euro 2008 action, etc... No way to predict what ManU will do with its coffers. Liverpool management is a mess, but they are also unpredictable. I hate to say it, but I have every reason to believe that ManU will be atop the PL next year. All they need is one major signing.

I suspect that Henry won't do anything until after Euro 2008 (and maximize P.R.). When's the transfer window? Hopefully Diaby will mend quickly. But yes, Henry would hurt Arsenal. Now what happens if he goes to Spurs to join their most recent signing?

I guess I am officially pulling for France over Italy in the Euro group of death. ;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

Yeah, I know I'm looking a little far ahead, but if Arsenal can hold onto their current crop, I'm very optimistic about next season. But I digress....you are correct that I am jumping the gun just a bit.

As for your other statement regarding Sp*rs.....you shut your mouth!!! You should be caned for even suggesting the notion. For that remark alone, I hope Benitez is sacked and replaced with Avram Grant! I would personally think that Henry would have enough love and conviction for his fans at Arsenal that he would not do that. Its not like Sp*rs can outbid other teams for his services, so I can't see them luring him in with money at least. I wouldn't mind seeing him return to Arsenal to tutor Theo a little bit though, maybe in more of a support role, but I can't see him accepting being a bench player either, like he currently is in Barcelona.

Transfer window opens in June if I'm not mistaken and closes at the end of August, but I could be off on my dates there. Maybe the obvious move for Titi is seriously coming to the MLS with Seattle, and adding to the quality of our domestic league. I could honestly see it happening, as he is not officially past his prime yet, but he's getting there.

Ben63
05-02-2008, 09:30 AM
Ill be rooting for whatever Chelsea players are on particular teams, but considering most are English (Lampard, Terry, A&J Cole) or African (Drogba, Kalou, Essien, Obi Mikel) it seems as if I'm left with Ricardo Carvahlo (Portugal) but since I refuse to root for C. Ronaldo, I cant root for them so my team is...

POLAND. Im not Polish but I love Artur Boruc and I cant pronounce any other names, what the heck, why not?

Lavabe
05-02-2008, 10:33 AM
As for your other statement regarding Sp*rs.....you shut your mouth!!! You should be caned for even suggesting the notion.

Liverpool is know for having a number of players leave for Europe, only to come back to other EPL teams (e.g., Owen, McManaman). It's not uncommon to see EPL stars try Europe, then come back, only to join other EPL teams (e.g., Gazza).

My statement was merely recognition of the feared elephant in the room. Sadly, ANYTHING is possible these days... including going to the MLS.:rolleyes: Although Spurs don't have much money laying around (!), they DID sign Luka Modric the other day.

Cheers,
Lavabe

blazindw
05-02-2008, 01:10 PM

I was referring to the score prediction...I wasn't worried about how he predicted the score would come about, just the final score. That you correctly predicted that it would go to extra time was pretty good in my mind. I don't think anyone could have predicted the scorefest that was extra time.

BlueDevilJay
05-02-2008, 01:50 PM
I was referring to the score prediction...I wasn't worried about how he predicted the score would come about, just the final score. That you correctly predicted that it would go to extra time was pretty good in my mind. I don't think anyone could have predicted the scorefest that was extra time.

Gotcha dude, that makes alot more sense, and of course, I didn't pay attention to that part :) My mistake! :o

Ben63
05-02-2008, 02:29 PM

Calling that goal fest would be near impossible because usually extra time is controlled in the midfield, neither team wants to open up to score leaving themselves vulnerable in the back. Chelsea did really open up though, the ball hit the back 3 times, obvoiusly only two counted, but it shows that they were in control. When Babel scored on that thunderstrike I got very nervous, Liverpool had 3-4 minutes to pop one in, and eliminate Chelsea on away goals. Happy with the way it ended but I think ManU would win in Moscow if they played tomorrow, but alot can happen in 20 days. Predictions later.

ManU will also win the league, them and Chelsea will take the maximum six, but with ManU up one on wins and up plenty on GD, I cant see them letting any points slip away.

Lavabe
05-02-2008, 10:16 PM
Watching it live was gut-wrenching; the highlights show I saw today raised several points:
1) Lampard ... gutty performance.
2) Torres/Benayoun ... evidence that Rafa's season-long rotation doesn't work great. Fatigue.
3) Babel has a world of potential.
4) Essien ... wow. Then again, his performance throughout the game was spectacular.
5) Ballack ... NOT impressive at all.
6) Xabi's tackles were not as clean as they normally are, but the pitch was a skating rink.
7) At the time, I didn't think much of the no-call with the take-down of Hyypia in the box. On the highlight show, however, I'm less convinced that the no-call was accurate.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
05-03-2008, 04:28 PM
7) At the time, I didn't think much of the no-call with the take-down of Hyypia in the box. On the highlight show, however, I'm less convinced that the no-call was accurate.

I hate to agree, but you're probably right.

BlueDevilJay
05-05-2008, 09:05 AM
What a good weekend of football! (except for ManUre winning again though) Just some quick thoughts on the weekend:

1) Anyone else think Nani should be banned from the PL? His actions were flat out pathetic! Not only the headbutt, but then, once realizing he had been caught, going to the floor and grabbing his head like he was the victim!!! I would have been thrown out of that game as well because I would have punched him in the nose had I been a West Ham player....pathetic act. (He and Eboue should play on the same team)

2) Fulhamerica just might survive!! They now control their own fate with a visit to Pompey to end the season. Win, and they stay up. Lose or draw and their fate lies in the other results.

3) Anyone see Beckham's two goals for the Galaxy? RSL was up 2-0 on them, and Becks scored two goals, both from about 25 yards, one in open play, the other from a free kick. His open play goal was far more impressive to me, as he took a shot from the right channel and beat the keeper at the far post. What a strike! (Im not a Beck's fan, but anyone who helps my Galaxy win, Ill support them) They ended up drawing 2-2 in a game with loads of chances.

4) Jens is gone from Arsenal and it looks like Flamini will follow him out the door. Good player, but if you wanna give up what is a bright future at the Emirates, don't let the door hit you on the way out. He and Cesc made a super midfield, but he is replacable. Wenger should have kept Diarra happy, as he is ruling the midfield at Portsmouth.

Thats my thoughts for the weekend, anyone care to comment?

duke74
05-05-2008, 09:18 AM
4) Jens is gone from Arsenal and it looks like Flamini will follow him out the door. Good player, but if you wanna give up what is a bright future at the Emirates, don't let the door hit you on the way out. He and Cesc made a super midfield, but he is replacable. Wenger should have kept Diarra happy, as he is ruling the midfield at Portsmouth.

I hear Flamini to Juve. If that's the case, I'm pleased. (Go Bianconeri!)

BlueDevilJay
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
Actually the latest news is from AC Milan saying they have the deal all but finalized to move him to Milan. Not so sure of the legality of it all though, considering he is STILL UNDER CONTRACT right now, the season isn't over. Im to the point where I cannot stand these Italian and Spanish league teams, constantly starting rumors about EPL players during the freakin season! Barca and Real constantly did that with Henry, and now want to do the same with Cesc every freakin week. Same situation occured with both Vieira and Henry, and I was honestly ready to see them both gone after the amount of tampering that went on.

Deslok
05-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Just a note on Fulham. While they are in a worlds better position than they were a month ago(when their relegation looked certain), its still a tough finish for them. Because while they have GD over Reading, Reading gets Derby this weekend. Only if it were at home could it be any more of a guaranteed win. So Fulham needs a big performance on the road to close the deal. Will definitely be a tense day, as a whole lot of money will be on the line there.

And as for Nani, while I did find his actions completely dispicable, I'm not in favor of anything significantly more than the match suspension he'll get. Well, that and the big target that will be on his back for every defender and referee out there for at least the next year. I could also see Ferguson sending him packing(just as they go up 3-1, looking to cruise to an important victory, suddenly they get knocked down to 10 men, are you trying to cost ManU the title?) if they can acquire some midfield help this summer.

BlueDevilJay
05-05-2008, 01:31 PM
Yeah I know they won't suspend him from the league, I'm just saying, I find that kind of behaviour and gamesmanship to be disgusting, and I cannot stand seeing it in any league. Kinda reminds me of the Brazilian in the 02 WC, can't remember who it was but he went down like he'd been shot trying to draw a red card, when he was never actually touched. Nani can take that junk back to sandlot football, where someone will hand him his I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. for pulling a stunt like that.

As for Fulham though, all they have to do is win, and they stay up, plain and simple. May be a tough game for them but the fact remains, their fate in the PL is in their hands after beating Birmingham on the weekend.

blazindw
05-05-2008, 05:15 PM
What a good weekend of football! (except for ManUre winning again though) Just some quick thoughts on the weekend:

1) Anyone else think Nani should be banned from the PL? His actions were flat out pathetic! Not only the headbutt, but then, once realizing he had been caught, going to the floor and grabbing his head like he was the victim!!! I would have been thrown out of that game as well because I would have punched him in the nose had I been a West Ham player....pathetic act. (He and Eboue should play on the same team)

2) Fulhamerica just might survive!! They now control their own fate with a visit to Pompey to end the season. Win, and they stay up. Lose or draw and their fate lies in the other results.

3) Anyone see Beckham's two goals for the Galaxy? RSL was up 2-0 on them, and Becks scored two goals, both from about 25 yards, one in open play, the other from a free kick. His open play goal was far more impressive to me, as he took a shot from the right channel and beat the keeper at the far post. What a strike! (Im not a Beck's fan, but anyone who helps my Galaxy win, Ill support them) They ended up drawing 2-2 in a game with loads of chances.

And Real Madrid winning La Liga for the 2nd year in a row! And in dramatic fashion, being down a man (Cannavaro sent off early in the 2nd half for his 2nd yellow card), a penalty to send Osasuna up 1-0 after a Heinze handball in the box in the 83rd minute...then a Robben header to equalize in the 87th minute and an incredible goal by Higuain in the 89th minute to clinch the game and the championship.

HALA MADRID! CAMPEONES OTRA VEZ! :)

Edit: Chelsea wins 2-0 today over Newcastle, leaving Man U and Chelsea tied in the EPL with one game left (Man U holds the goal differential tiebreaker). Oh, the drama!

Super Edit: ESPN Soccernet reporting that Flamini is headed to AC Milan (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=531988&cc=5901).

Ben63
05-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Chelsea wins 2-0 today over Newcastle, leaving Man U and Chelsea tied in the EPL with one game left (Man U holds the goal differential tiebreaker). Oh, the drama!

I still think ManU will win the league. A win gives it to them and they know that and will not let it slip. The Champions league is still up for grabs and I think Chelsea has been in better form in the past month and it should carry over. A two week rest will keep both teams fresh and it should be an interesting match.

Deslok
05-05-2008, 09:35 PM
I agree that ManU should win the league(I mean, if you can't beat Wigan to close the deal, you don't deserve the title). The time off before the final is much to their advantage as well, since as has been noted, Chelsea have been on form of late, and a disruption to the rhythm they are in will help. But even more important is giving time for Rooney and Vidic to get healthy. It sounds like Vidic will probably be good to go this weekend and so will be fully fit for the CL Final. And they need him back there. Rooney sounds a little more questionable for Sunday, but I can't imagine that he won't be good to go 2 weeks later.

And oh btw, winning with 3 games to go is not in dramatic fashion, both Bayern and Real cruised to league victories this season, which I guess makes up for a couple of ugly performances in European competition.

blazindw
05-06-2008, 12:31 AM
And oh btw, winning with 3 games to go is not in dramatic fashion, both Bayern and Real cruised to league victories this season, which I guess makes up for a couple of ugly performances in European competition.

I agree, I was referring to the dramatic ending to the game. No, it will not replace the dramatic euphoria that was the last game of last season, scoring 3 goals in the second half to win, knowing that Barcelona was also winning. However, as a diehard Real fan, I think that was a great way to win that game, and the fact that it clinched La Liga only made it sweeter.

The absolute best part of this is that Barcelona plays Real Madrid on Wednesday at the Bernabeu, where they will have the official celebrations for the 31st La Liga championship. Barcelona, keeping in the Spanish tradition of honoring champions, will be obligated to pay tribute to their archrivals, saluting Real Madrid as this year's league champion.*

*The tradition is that instead of both teams taking the field, the champions will take the field after the other team lines up to give a standing ovation and congratulate them on their achievement.

BlueDevilJay
05-06-2008, 07:36 AM
Yeah most teams also do that in the EPL as well. I remember ManU visiting Highbury once and having to do that for Arsenal (during the Untouchables season) and we did it for them last year if I remember correctly, or it may have been Chelsea the year before.

awhom111
05-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Do any of you enjoy soccer gaming of any kind?

blazindw
05-09-2008, 01:10 AM

If by soccer gaming you mean the FIFA Soccer games on PS2/PS3/Xbox, then yes I do :)

Deslok
05-09-2008, 02:16 AM
If by soccer gaming you mean the FIFA Soccer games on PS2/PS3/Xbox, then yes I do :)

But how about things like Championship manager?

BlueDevilJay
05-09-2008, 07:39 AM

I used to be into FIFA until I finally broke down and tried ProEvolution and I haven't turned back since. I have it now for the PS3, and I do also play Football Manager on the computer as well.

arydolphin
05-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I just saw yesterday that ESPN has released their schedule for all of the Euro 2008 games! I had no idea that ESPN had picked up the contract to show those games, though some Google searches then revealed that this was a deal that went all the way back to 2006. Nevertheless, all of the games will be shown live on one of the ESPN networks, and one of the quarterfinals and the final game will be on ABC. I'm assuming most games will be available in HD as well. Of course, the best news of all is that according to the comments in the following link, Dave O'Brien is nowhere to be found in the commentators for the games.

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/05/espn-releases-euro-2008-schedule.html

BlueDevilJay
05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
I just saw yesterday that ESPN has released their schedule for all of the Euro 2008 games! I had no idea that ESPN had picked up the contract to show those games, though some Google searches then revealed that this was a deal that went all the way back to 2006. Nevertheless, all of the games will be shown live on one of the ESPN networks, and one of the quarterfinals and the final game will be on ABC. I'm assuming most games will be available in HD as well. Of course, the best news of all is that according to the comments in the following link, Dave O'Brien is nowhere to be found in the commentators for the games.

http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/05/espn-releases-euro-2008-schedule.html

LOL @ Dave O'Brien. SCORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is good news though, and I'll def be watching all the games as well.

Lavabe
05-09-2008, 10:55 AM

But if you want to watch the battle of Nevsky (Russia vs. Sweden), you'll have to have ESPN Deportes.:mad:

I'll turn up the classical music for that one!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
05-09-2008, 11:16 AM
But if you want to watch the battle of Nevsky (Russia vs. Sweden), you'll have to have ESPN Deportes.:mad:

I'll turn up the classical music for that one!
Cheers,
Lavabe

ESPN deportes doesn't sound bad at all to me. But then I've been following the EPL and CL matches with Korean announcing. With Spanish, at least I can hope to understand more than the names. Now I just need to figure out if I'll be able to watch matches while in Bali(though of course, there are worse places to be if you aren't able to follow it).

awhom111
05-10-2008, 12:56 AM
I used to be into FIFA until I finally broke down and tried ProEvolution and I haven't turned back since. I have it now for the PS3, and I do also play Football Manager on the computer as well.

Where do you like to manage in Football Manager? I really like picking some of the more obscure countries and trying my luck in scouting unknown players.

Deslok
05-11-2008, 12:23 PM
Fulham baby... survives the relegation battle as all 3 teams win on the final day, Reading and Birmingham won fairly comfortably, Fulham scoring a 70th or so minute goal to stay up(and just as they were preparing to sub in for the player who scored). Plus Man City picked up a red card in their match(where they got absolutely owned, giving up more than a touchdown to Boro) which should put Fulham into the UEFA cup next year as they will top the charts on the Fair Play index(they were second to City going into the final week).

Oh yeah, at the top of the table, Man U captured the crown, getting a deserved penalty in the first(Rooney was brought down and the defender wasn't even close to getting the ball) though they were fortunate not to get one against them on an early shot that was blocked by Ferdinands... shoulder ;), and mid 2nd half Rooney fed Giggs who was unmarked at the top of the area and slotted home. But Chelsea drew anyway on a late Bolton goal so it didn't even end up coming down to superior GD.

blazindw
05-11-2008, 01:54 PM
Fulham baby... survives the relegation battle as all 3 teams win on the final day, Reading and Birmingham won fairly comfortably, Fulham scoring a 70th or so minute goal to stay up(and just as they were preparing to sub in for the player who scored). Plus Man City picked up a red card in their match(where they got absolutely owned, giving up more than a touchdown to Boro) which should put Fulham into the UEFA cup next year as they will top the charts on the Fair Play index(they were second to City going into the final week).

Wow, talk about a crucial goal. Not only does Fulhamerica stay up, but they will be playing European football next year. Incredible last few weeks of the season for them.

I wonder what happens to the Americans on Reading now that they are dropping (Convey, Hahnemman, and I think there's another one).

Ben63
05-11-2008, 05:08 PM
I was really surprised today wasn't totally brutal. I knew going in ManU was in control and they probably wouldn't slip up at Wigan. Maybe it was the fact Bolton equalized after Utd. scored their second. ManU has been the strongest side all season but I am proud of Chelsea. Losing alot af players to the ACN, changing managers the way they did, and injuries all season long.

I am not in the group that says fire Avram Grant. Would I have chosen him in September? No, but he has done a fine job and deserves to stay.

Lavabe
05-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Spurs 0, Liverpool 2
Torres struck a goal. I believe he has hit more EPL goals in the season than any previous foreign-born player.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
05-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Spurs 0, Liverpool 2
Torres struck a goal. I believe he has hit more EPL goals in the season than any previous foreign-born player.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Erm... not. Since this seasons top scorers would be Ronaldo, Adebayor, and Torres(with the latter 2 well behind Ronaldo). Then you have the Henry years at Arsenal, van Niestlerooy and Hasselbaink each had at least one year if not more with higher totals. Torres had the best 1st season of any player in the EPL I believe, but nothing so grand as you mentioned.

Lavabe
05-12-2008, 05:41 AM
Erm... not. Since this seasons top scorers would be Ronaldo, Adebayor, and Torres(with the latter 2 well behind Ronaldo). Then you have the Henry years at Arsenal, van Niestlerooy and Hasselbaink each had at least one year if not more with higher totals. Torres had the best 1st season of any player in the EPL I believe, but nothing so grand as you mentioned.

Whoops... yes, it's the first season record.:o

And what of Derby in pursuit of the GD record? 11 pts overall? 20 goals all season? 89 goals allowed all season? :o

Nice to see Danny Murphy score the Fulham goal.

May 28th sees England play US at Wembley.

As for the transfer season at Liverpool, Kewell is already gone. I'd expect Crouch to be gone. One other mainstay should go as well. The assistant manager is off to the J-League. Ownership issues will affect negatively the transfer season. I suspect two will come up from the development system (one of the best), and Rafa gets one from Europe (note that France, Italy, and Germany are not in Rafa's map of Europe this year).

I believe that transfer madness is going to be nuts this year (as it seems it is every year), but particularly AFTER Euro 2008. There's an aging cluster of stars in EPL, and they need replacing. I expect Boro to make some news, but I fear it's ManU that will pull a major coup.

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
05-12-2008, 07:57 AM
GREAT weekend of football! I really didn't care who won the PL as I detest them both, but I can't figure out if I want Chelsea or ManU to win the CL title.....I guess I'd rather ManU have the double than Chelsea beating Arsenal to the CL title first. Tivo'd both matches and then also the Fulham match, which I figured they would win, but I see they were very fortunate to pull out a win there. Glad they are staying up to give the Americans more exposure. I was praying for a 2nd Bolton goal to give Arsenal 2nd place, but it just couldn't happen. Back to the CL qualifiers for us, although we did make the finals from that spot so its all good. Now time to focus on team USA and their next three exhibitions which will be HUGE. Spain and England especially. I really think we will drop one to Spain, but can take down the Three Lions. Then we have the Olympics.....good summer for football all the way around (w/ Euro as well).

As for Footie manager, I normally will use Arsenal, but every now and then Ill take some obscure team so its more of a challenge as well.

BlueDevilJay
05-12-2008, 09:06 AM
Edit: Nevermind about Arsenal catching Chelsea for 2nd, I thought we had 1 more point than we actually did, so we couldn't have caught them anyways.

blazindw
05-12-2008, 06:30 PM
Edit: Nevermind about Arsenal catching Chelsea for 2nd, I thought we had 1 more point than we actually did, so we couldn't have caught them anyways.

Hey BlueDevilJay,

What do you think is the one piece that Arsenal needs to put them over the top in the EPL? They had such a hot start, and it didn't seem like they tailed off as much as Man U and Chelsea just turned it on. In my mind, it seems like they are a defender away from really being a major force from start to finish. Also, they would need a help up front because from the few times I saw Arsenal play in the EPL, they were a bit erratic in relying solely on Adebayor to finish. He's good, but he may not do as well next year playing up front alone, as teams starting keying in on him around midseason.

As an fan, what do you think Arsenal needs to hold off Chelsea and Man U?

Ben63
05-12-2008, 07:02 PM
I believe that transfer madness is going to be nuts this year (as it seems it is every year), but particularly AFTER Euro 2008. There's an aging cluster of stars in EPL, and they need replacing. I expect Boro to make some news, but I fear it's ManU that will pull a major coup.

Couldn't agree more.

As for Chelsea:

GK- Petr Cech, Carlo Cudicini

No problems here.

Defense- A.Cole, Terry, Carvahlo, Alex, Belletti, Ferreria and newly signed (http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=534366&cc=5901) Bosingwa.

Don't know what to make of Carvahlo, considering Mourinho is gone, because both of them are Portuguese. Have to believe someone else is gone as well with Bosingwa. Possibly Ferreria.

Mid- Ballack, Essien, Mikel, Lampard, J.Cole, Malouda, Makelele, Shaun Wright-Phillips.

Dont see any definite good-byes, but could see Makelele leaving due to age and lack of productivity. SWP probably should leave. Had massive potential a few years ago but Chelsea was the wrong situation for him.

Strikers- Drogba, Kalou, Anelka, Shevchenko, Pizzaro

Drogba and Shevchenko are goners for sure. This means this is an area of need for Chelsea. Who will they pick up? I don't know but I do know Chelsea has the funds for just about anybody.

Alot will depend on who the manager is. Avram Grant will sign different players than a possible new manager would (a new manager looks likely, though I disagree.) Striker is the big need this summer and it will be a big name coming in.

BlueDevilJay
05-13-2008, 07:52 AM
Hey BlueDevilJay,

What do you think is the one piece that Arsenal needs to put them over the top in the EPL? They had such a hot start, and it didn't seem like they tailed off as much as Man U and Chelsea just turned it on. In my mind, it seems like they are a defender away from really being a major force from start to finish. Also, they would need a help up front because from the few times I saw Arsenal play in the EPL, they were a bit erratic in relying solely on Adebayor to finish. He's good, but he may not do as well next year playing up front alone, as teams starting keying in on him around midseason.

As an fan, what do you think Arsenal needs to hold off Chelsea and Man U?

Depending on how many players we lose, I have different answers. Assuming the current roster is still intact (i.e. Hleb stays and Rosicky can finally get healthy) I think we need three players. A good CB to replace Sendy (the second coming of Cygan). I dream of a back 4 of Clichy, Toure, Gallas, Sagna, (its a dream because the 4 could never stay on the pitch together much this season) with the new player providing coverage for Gallas and Toure. I haven't really scoured the transfer market for who is available at CB, but I'd let Eboue go, and maybe Song can be a good CB for us as well. He is appearing to be another diamond in the rough uncovered by Wenger. The other two I'd go all out for right now is Gareth Barry and David Villa, who have both been linked to us recently. I really think we are one attacking MF, another forward (although Walcott may be evolving into that killer striker already) and a defender. I hope Fabianski can beat out Almunia for GK next season, as I already love his potential way more than anything I've seen from Almunia. He didn't win the starting role this year, Mad Jens lost it.

I honestly think this season boiled down to depth, or rather our lack of it. Had we had it, I think we would have hoisted the trophy on Sunday instead of ManUre. When Eduardo went down, Wenger should have bought, but decided not to as usual. We could have had Torres but Wenger didn't want him....not such a hot move by Le Boss.

Edit: Oh yeah, and give the armband to either Toure, Fabregas or possibly even Clichy, but Gallas does not need to be our captain.

Lavabe
05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
We could have had Torres but Wenger didn't want him....not such a hot move by Le Boss.

You can't have Torres!;)

On the other hand, Arsene's now a lot better than the French coach we had a few years back!:o

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
You can't have Torres!;)

On the other hand, Arsene's now a lot better than the French coach we had a few years back!:o

Cheers,
Lavabe

Well it wasn't that Wenger didn't want him, he just didn't want to pay what was being asked, and again, I think it was obviously a bad move. I just hope we can keep Super Cesc around for a while. I get so sick of the "Silly Season" that we have just entered, with pretty much every team tapping up all the best players and unsettling teams (and fans like myself!)

blazindw
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Edit: Oh yeah, and give the armband to either Toure, Fabregas or possibly even Clichy, but Gallas does not need to be our captain.

Assuming my team, Real Madrid, doesn't swoop in and steal Cesc like they've been promising for two summers now, give him the armband. I think he's ready to assume the full leadership of the team.

BlueDevilJay
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Assuming my team, Real Madrid, doesn't swoop in and steal Cesc like they've been promising for two summers now, give him the armband. I think he's ready to assume the full leadership of the team.

I can't see him ever going to Real honestly, given his Catalan heritage and all. From what I can tell that would be almost sacreligious if he were to sign with Real, at least in Spain. I truly believe him when he said most recently that he is still very happy at the Emirates, and even went as far as saying he sees Wenger as a father figure to him. Hopefully he is a bit more loyal than Vieira and Henry decided to be. (Although now I am glad both left when they did)

blazindw
05-13-2008, 04:23 PM
I can't see him ever going to Real honestly, given his Catalan heritage and all. From what I can tell that would be almost sacreligious if he were to sign with Real, at least in Spain. I truly believe him when he said most recently that he is still very happy at the Emirates, and even went as far as saying he sees Wenger as a father figure to him. Hopefully he is a bit more loyal than Vieira and Henry decided to be. (Although now I am glad both left when they did)

I don't see him going to the Bernabeu either. I see him staying at Arsenal for a long while. However, you never know what kind of offer can come about, and Madrid's known for their mega-offers that leave heads scratching in disbelief.

BlueDevilJay
05-14-2008, 10:05 AM
I don't see him going to the Bernabeu either. I see him staying at Arsenal for a long while. However, you never know what kind of offer can come about, and Madrid's known for their mega-offers that leave heads scratching in disbelief.

Yeah, them along with most Spanish Primera teams are known for tapping up players under contract with English clubs and trying to cause unrest in those teams. The whole "Silly Season" is kinda weird to me. I mean I love seeing diff players linked with diff clubs, but at the same time I get so sick of every single summer hearing "Arsenal Player X moving to (Insert Spanish Team here)?" when said Player X has come out in the press 100 times and stated Im not going anywhere, I love life in London and love Arsenal. It really gets frustrating at times. I DO see Fabregas leaving London later on in his career to return to Spain but I figure he will join Barca, and I think he will do so before this 8 year contract is done.

Oh, and congrats on the Spanish League title as well, forgot to tell you that earlier. It's always a good season when your team brings home silverware.

Lavabe
05-14-2008, 10:25 AM
Yeah, them along with most Spanish Primera teams are known for tapping up players under contract with English clubs and trying to cause unrest in those teams. The whole "Silly Season" is kinda weird to me. I mean I love seeing diff players linked with diff clubs, but at the same time I get so sick of every single summer hearing "Arsenal Player X moving to (Insert Spanish Team here)?" when said Player X has come out in the press 100 times and stated Im not going anywhere, I love life in London and love Arsenal. It really gets frustrating at times. I DO see Fabregas leaving London later on in his career to return to Spain but I figure he will join Barca, and I think he will do so before this 8 year contract is done.

The Liverpool fan in me says "been there, done that" with the likes of McManaman and Owen.

I still loathe it.

FWIW, I suspect Xabi will be back in Spain pretty soon. This sounds all too familiar.
Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
05-14-2008, 11:38 AM
The Liverpool fan in me says "been there, done that" with the likes of McManaman and Owen.

I still loathe it.

FWIW, I suspect Xabi will be back in Spain pretty soon. This sounds all too familiar.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Exactly. Its almost like they pick on the EPL because they know the managers won't take them to FIFA for investigation. Of course the Italians do it about as much as well.

blazindw
05-16-2008, 10:06 AM
Just barely held off Fulham to get the Fair Play Index spot in the UEFA Cup Qualifiers.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=535761&cc=5901

BlueDevilJay
05-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Just barely held off Fulham to get the Fair Play Index spot in the UEFA Cup Qualifiers.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=535761&cc=5901

Dang, and I was hoping Fulham would have gotten the spot. What a reward that could have been for making the push to stay in the top flight, and THEN being handed a UEFA Cup spot to boot.

blazindw
05-16-2008, 10:14 AM
Dang, and I was hoping Fulham would have gotten the spot. What a reward that could have been for making the push to stay in the top flight, and THEN being handed a UEFA Cup spot to boot.

I agree, that would have been spectacular. EPL hasn't updated the fair play index on their website, but I bet the final tally was really close.

Ben63
05-20-2008, 03:51 PM
Tomorrow is the big game. Chelsea was on a hot streak, but I think they have cooled off a bit in the last 2 weeks. Losing the title must have been demoralizing, and not taking 3 from Bolton. That being said Manchester United has played really well of late and have been head and shoulders above the rest all season, Chelsea being that close at the end of the year was rather remarkable.

I hate to say it, but ManU will win this thing. I'm not saying I dont have confidence in Chelsea and I certainly will still root for them, but I cant see them winning this game.

Manchester Utd. 2-0 Chelsea

Goals: Ronaldo, Tevez

Damn I hope I'm wrong but I dont see it any other way.

blazindw
05-20-2008, 04:49 PM
My prediction:

Chelsea 3, Man U 1

Chelsea Goals: Drogba, Ballack, Lampard (PK)
Man U Goal: Scholes

Both teams have been on a roll, but I think that Cech has the game of his life and I see some inspired performances from Terry and Makalele. Chelsea brings home its first CL title.

Lavabe
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Q: Which do I want ... migraine or ManU?

A: Anyone but ManU.:D

Who will win?

ManU 2-0 :mad:

Goals: Scholes, Own Goal (Terry)

Ugh ... can't stand it.

Meanwhile, Liverpool is expected to sign Swiss right-back Philipp Degen.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
05-20-2008, 09:45 PM
Odd that no one mentioned anything about Portsmouth over Cardiff, in one of the strangest FA Cup final pairings of the last ten years.

Cardiff 0 - Portsmouth 1 (Kanu 37)

I know that weird things happen with the FA Cup, but to have these two teams face off was a breath of fresh air. Did anyone see the game? How was it?

I'm still a bit annoyed at the salaries being doled out these days (especially ManU, Liverpool, Chelsea). That Cardiff and Portsmouth made it this far is a hopeful sign that the little guys can beat the big ones.

As for the CL tomorrow, I'll pull for Chelsea.

What happened with relegation (aside from Derby)?
Thanks,
Lavabe

Deslok
05-20-2008, 10:36 PM
The FA cup was ok, it was not that exciting honestly for a good chunk of the time. The last 10 minutes go exciting as Cardiff scrambled to get an equalizer, coming close on a couple occasions.

I always like to see new teams in the hunt, so it was a refreshing championship(though would have been even better had a nonpremiereship side won in Cardiff).

As far as relegation went it was a pretty thrilling final day of action. Reading moved ahead of Derby early and by half an hour or so were pretty much assured of winning. Birmingham scored on the half hour and led at halftime vs Blackburn. Fulham was nil nil and really hadn't generated much offense in their first half and as things stood, they were the ones headed for relegation. Blackburn got an early 2nd half goal, which put Reading as the team that would avoid the drop. But around the 70 minute mark, Birmingham moved back ahead, to put Reading and Fulham below the line. And Fulham really still had generated no offense to speak of. But then off a free kick, Murphy headed home to give Fulham the lead and the spot to stay up. Reading and Birmingham continued to thrash their opponents, adding goals towards the end, hoping that Fulham would concede an equalizer. But they held on to stay up(getting 3 away wins in a row to do it), tied on points with Reading but with superior goal differential. So the bottom fo the table had 5 teams between 35 and 39(with Derby way below) in a very tight finish at the end.

For the CL final, I think it will be ManU. In March/April Chelsea had the best form in Europe, closing the gap in the EPL and taking care of business in Europe(and trying to forget the name Barnsley ever existed). But they've lost their stride the last couple of weeks. And while they should be healthy enough to play, Terry, Drogba, Cole, and Carvalho are all under 100%. It will be a tight game as both sides can shut opponents down very well. I expect a 1-0 final unless a team adds a late goal in the closing minutes, and I'll go with Tevez to get the goal.

BlueDevilJay
05-21-2008, 08:31 AM
Im thinking 1-1 and going to penalties tonight. I finally came to the conclusion that I am rooting for Chelsea to win for a host of reasons.

1) If they win, I won't have to hear crap from their fans as I only really know 2 or 3 Chelsea fans in real life.

2) Man U fans with a double winning team will be intolerable. They are bad enough already just from squeaking out the PL race.

3) I just really flat out despise Man U and can never bring myself to pull for them.

4) I know Chelsea fans will rub it in Arsenal fans faces that the Gunners have never won a CL title, but like I said there aren't many around here to do that to me, so it wouldn't affect me as bad as it would if ManU won it again.

5) I can't stand Alex Ferguson (no sir, thanks) and enjoy watching him when Man U is losing a big match.

Anyhoo, I can't wait for the match and am going to try and slip out of here today around 2:15 to go home and watch. Good luck to you Chelsea and ManU fans today. There is NOTHING quite like waking up on the morning of the CL final, and knowing you'll get to watch your team go for it. (Just hopefully for you, that dream isn't shattered by your keeper being sent off 18 min into the match :) ) Savor it guys.

greybeard
05-21-2008, 09:28 AM
Just read that the conditions are expected to be awful and the field worse. Rainy, chilly, thunderstorms (good English weather) and one can see the outlines of each individual piece of the recently sodded pitch. Could seriously detract from the Championship. I hope not.

Deslok
05-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Just read that the conditions are expected to be awful and the field worse. Rainy, chilly, thunderstorms (good English weather) and one can see the outlines of each individual piece of the recently sodded pitch. Could seriously detract from the Championship. I hope not.

SPOILERS AHEAD IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED

Wow. Just wow. Unfortunately the pitch did come into play, as there were at least half a dozen times I recall players slipping down or seemingly being tripped by the field. Not the least of which would be on Terry's PK that could have ended it.

Odd game though. Man U really should have put the game away early. Ronaldo's header was perfect slotted inside the post. But Carrick should have buried the sitter he had, instead he hit it right over Cech's shoulder for a relatively easy parry away. The first half hour or so seemed to be all United. Then Essien and Ballack really started to assert themselves in midfield and ManU just disappeared. They still had some good counterattacks(and Giggs should have buried the one that Evra slotted over to him, instead of hammering it his right, he tried to flick with his left and Terry was able to head away). But for the last hour of regulation, Chelsea really set the pace of things, using their physical presence to seemingly intimidate ManU. Their goal was rather fluky, deflection that hits the back of Ferdinand(I think, or was it Vidic?) and ends up plopping down for an easy put away by Lampard. But since he later caught the crossbar on a nice turn and shoot, and Drogba had caught post on a great little curler from outside the area, you can't say Chelsea didn't deserve a goal. As an aside, the Chelsea players did drive me nuts with the really physical play and then accompanying it with the whinyness(that would be you Ballack, Drogba, and J. Cole in particular). One of the reasons I really respect Essien(since he stopped cheap shotting, a problem in his early career), is that he'll play physical, but when he gets called on it, he nods, shrugs, and gets back on D. Was so happy to see Drogba get sent off, get the feeling that assured any doubts about him coming back to Chelsea. And then Ronaldo almost costing ManU the crown with a poor PK(was really kind of a perfect ending for me, I wanted ManU to win, but was happy to see Ronaldo look foolish).

Sigh... great way to end the season though. How long til the US starts playing European friendlies? And then Euro 2008 starting up? I don't really feel up to trying to follow the Toulouse U-20 tourney, despite some interesting talent there.

Lavabe
05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
In all fairness, I typed a message, and it started out VERBATIM like Des.

Terry: doesn't deserve what happened.
Drogba: DID deserve what happened to him. That was utterly insane. Stupid move in the middle of a row.
Ronaldo: Agreed, couldn't have happened to a more deserving whiner.
Lampard: SOOOOOOO close to making it 2-1 Chelsea.
Rooney: Not a difference-maker today.
Anelka: What a pathetic shot (and the only good guess by van der Sar).
Greybeard: ultimately correct about the pitch.
BDJay: Correct about the score and PK's.

LOTS of cramping up on both sides.

I felt bad karma for Terry going into this (lingering Liverpool karma). I am sorry he wound up with the slip.
Lavabe

Ben63
05-21-2008, 08:49 PM
Damn. Not too many people I'd rather have on the spot than John Terry to win the CL. The ping of the post was the ping that will send Avram Grant and Didier Drogba packing. I like both of them and I wish Drogba would stay, but if he's not happy theres no point. Ive voiced my opinions on Grant before, he should stay.

Not much for me to say, you all know how dissapionting this is to me. No silverware for Chelsea this year so mind as well look forward to Euro 08.

Deslok
05-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Damn. Not too many people I'd rather have on the spot than John Terry to win the CL. The ping of the post was the ping that will send Avram Grant and Didier Drogba packing. I like both of them and I wish Drogba would stay, but if he's not happy theres no point. Ive voiced my opinions on Grant before, he should stay.

Not much for me to say, you all know how dissapionting this is to me. No silverware for Chelsea this year so mind as well look forward to Euro 08.

Well, I think Drogba slapped his way away from Stamford Bridge before the PKs(and oh btw, hmmm wouldn't Drogba have normally been the 5th taker... oops). And the fact that he didn't just miss it, he slipped in sloppy conditions on a bad field. Anelka on the other hand...(though it really wasn't a bad PK, van der Saar just guessed right and made the play). Plus Terry had saved the day earlier. I wonder if Grant could be considered to have sealed the deal not having brought Scheva on, in Russia, and the attacking player he did bring on missed the crucial PK.

Ben63
05-21-2008, 10:15 PM
I wonder if Grant could be considered to have sealed the deal not having brought Scheva on, in Russia, and the attacking player he did bring on missed the crucial PK.

Anelka was the better choice to bring in because he came in long before the shootout and is much better for extended periods of time. The player Grant brought in for the shootout was Juliano Belletti, and he made his kick, so good managing there. Anelka was #6 on the list out of 9 essentially, with only 10 men and Petr Cech. So not much can be placed on Grant for Anelka, he brought him in early and he wasn't in Grant's top 5, and he was brought on before Drogba was sent off, so he was planned at #7, so I don't see what was wrong with what Grant did.

Though considering Abramovich is the one with power, and considering he's Russian...

Didn't realize how Terry saved the day b/c I hadn't seen the match, I just watched the replay though. Overall, it was a good season, ending the way it started, losing to ManU in PK's. Should have won the Carling Cup, oh well.

Lavabe
05-21-2008, 10:45 PM
Anelka was the better choice to bring in because he came in long before the shootout and is much better for extended periods of time. The player Grant brought in for the shootout was Juliano Belletti, and he made his kick, so good managing there. Anelka was #6 on the list out of 9 essentially, with only 10 men and Petr Cech. So not much can be placed on Grant for Anelka, he brought him in early and he wasn't in Grant's top 5, and he was brought on before Drogba was sent off, so he was planned at #7, so I don't see what was wrong with what Grant did.

Though considering Abramovich is the one with power, and considering he's Russian...

Didn't realize how Terry saved the day b/c I hadn't seen the match, I just watched the replay though. Overall, it was a good season, ending the way it started, losing to ManU in PK's. Should have won the Carling Cup, oh well.

I feel for you, Ben63. I agree that Grant shouldn't go, but a crazy owner can affect people. Grant's a world better than the guy they had before. The fact is, it's hard to second guess Grant on anything he did in this game.

I was a little annoyed at Sir Alex for how he was riding the officiating crew as they came off for the start of the second half.

I still dislike Christian Ronaldo.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
05-21-2008, 10:46 PM

I actually meant the whole Russian owner/game in Moscow thing with the Shevchenko comment, not that I expect to see him based on merit or anything.

And Anelka was actually #7 on the PK takers, Kalou successfully converted the 6th PK for Chelsea after Anderson made United's. And I do have to say, for a striker, with fresh legs, to be your 7th best PK taker is pretty weak IMO. Basically, Chelsea needed more Germans, since they never miss.

HK Dukie
05-22-2008, 12:34 AM
Chelsea owned ManU since halftime. Two hit posts is tough.

Terry reminds me of Baggio from the worldcup (Italy vs Brazil) a ways back. Great player, unfortunate ending (and he shouldn't be taking that PK...he is not a good enough shooter, all his goals are headers, dumb coaching move - captain or no captain)

As you can probably tell, I am a Chelsea fan. They were my first sports team and it's how I learned to love the Blue and White. Probably why I became a Duke fan at age 7 because of the colors.

Lavabe
05-22-2008, 07:16 AM
Terry reminds me of Baggio from the worldcup (Italy vs Brazil) a ways back. Great player, unfortunate ending (and he shouldn't be taking that PK...he is not a good enough shooter, all his goals are headers, dumb coaching move - captain or no captain)

In the respect that Terry and Baggio (1994 World Cup) missed their PK's on a big stage, yes, I agree. On the other hand, Baggio: 1) wasn't captain; 2) wasn't the ultimate defensive player, but was rather an offensive player; 3) two other Italians missed their PK's in the 1994 shootout; and 4) later scored his PK in the 1998 World Cup against France (but Italy wound up losing to France). Without Baggio in 1994, Italy doesn't score in the final minutes to beat Nigeria and Spain, and Italy doesn't beat Bulgaria. Also, Baggio's miss was not in horrible conditions.

Terry's miss was a flat out slip in horrible conditions. Without Terry, Chelsea doesn't get into PK's. His block of Giggs' shot saved the game for Chelsea. Not unlike Riise at Liverpool, Terry will be forgiven.;)

I don't blame Grant for putting in Terry. He would NOT put in Essien (with good reason). Drogba was red-carded (I DO blame Drogba). And as much as Anelka has taken his fair share of spot kicks, he has missed a few too.

SO, here was the team list going into the 5th PK:
Ballack (Made 1st shot)
Belletti (Made 2nd shot)
Lampard (Made 3rd shot)
A Cole (Made 4th shot)
Terry (Took the 5th shot)
Carvalho (Defender)
Kalou (Made 6th shot)
Anelka (Missed the 7th shot)
Essien (NO way)
Drogba (Sent off)
Cech (Keeper)

The only legitimate question is whether to put in Terry vs. Kalou vs. Anelka vs. Carvalho. At that point, hindsight says Kalou should take it, but at the time, I'd be very pressed to go with anyone but Terry. It was a 50-50 choice between Terry and Kalou.

Blame Drogba. Chelsea had one less choice to kick. He would have been their designated 5th shooter, and he wasn't there. THAT hurt.

FWIW, CRonaldo's PK attempt (can you call it that) was SO lame.:eek:
Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
05-22-2008, 07:59 AM
I find it a bit ironic that you mention that Terry will be forgiven, like Riise right after talking about his flick away header to prevent the goal. Because that moment, I was thinking of Giggs in the role of Riise. As in... learn to use your other foot idjit! Keeper out of the way, one defender reasonably in line and another near the far post, and he uses his left(favored) foot to try and flick the ball in. If he uses his right he can pound it in and unless he kicks it directly at Terry the ball is in the back of the net. Instead, its a light touch, and Terry has just enough time to get a head on it to save the day. Of course, Giggs has also done just a few more positive things than Riise ever did, but both are too dependent on their lefts.

And yeah, the other amusing note is that the one truly bad PK was by Ronaldo. Terry slipped, which was unfortunate but understandable and had happened to a lot of players in the course of play. Anelka's wasn't a bad PK, goalie had to guess the right side and still make the play(which wasn't that easy, as van der Saar had nearly gotten 2 others, but at least 1 of those just slid off his hands instead of being batted to the side). Ronaldo's was just bad. Either guessing that way or staying stationary would have allowed Cech to get a piece of it. It wasn't hard hit(Anelka's was) so it really wasn't too tough to handle.

BlueDevilJay
05-22-2008, 08:18 AM
Im thinking 1-1 and going to penalties tonight. I finally came to the conclusion that I am rooting for Chelsea to win for a host of reasons.

And tonight's winning lottery numbers will be...... :D

Can't believe I FINALLY got one right :) Im also pretty pissed that Chelsea blew it when Ronaldo would have been the goat....that was too perfect of a setup, and I honestly knew Terry was going to blow his chance. Drogba still screwed his team even though Man U didn't score before the end. He would have been taking a penalty, moving Terry out of it, and you can debate as to if he would have converted, but if you had a choice, Terry or Drogba to take a penalty, I think we all know who we would choose.

Either way it was a great match to watch as a neutral, in a bar with 25 ManU fans, and a close friend of mine, who is a Chelsea fan. He was seriously almost crying after it was over, and I felt so bad for him. Brought back the rush of memories of 2006 for me. I nearly came to tears 3 times that day, once when Lehmann was sent off, in jubilation when Campbell scored to take the lead (albeit on a free kick from a blatent Eboue dive), and again when I realized that Almunia wasn't half the keeper Lehmann was and let two goals in that had no business finding the net.

Now bring on the Euros! But first up, US vs Engerland on the 28th. I have to find a bar in KY to watch the match as Ill be in Lexington from Friday through June 2nd.

budwom
05-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Amazing game. To make a baseball analogy, it was kind of like the Yankees taking a one run lead in the top of the 13th inning in the seventh game of the ALCS, on a dropped popup by David Ortiz. But in the bottom of the inning, with two outs, Derek Jeter lets an easy ground ball (wet field) go through his legs to tie the score.

blazindw
05-22-2008, 09:32 AM
Now bring on the Euros! But first up, US vs Engerland on the 28th. I have to find a bar in KY to watch the match as Ill be in Lexington from Friday through June 2nd.

There's a huge slate of US friendlies coming up before Euros start on June 7th. First, US-England in Wembley on May 28th. Then, US-Spain in Santander on June 4th. Finally, US-Argentina at Giants Stadium on June 8th (technically the day after Euros start).

My friend (a Chelsea fan who needs a pick-me-up after yesterday) and I are heading to the US-Argentina game. Anyone else planning on going?

greybeard
05-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I think that the miss was caused by MU's goalie. Perry was planted to kick to the left corner, after the first four kicks went right. MU's goalie went left a tad early. Perry saw it and tried to go right. The play was to go center. But the MU goalie deserves the credit. Great gamble. Same play he made on the last kick.

What is it with these soccer stars, head butting and face slapping on the biggest stages imaginable? Roid rage, gotta be. Come on, Z's head seemed oh so much larger at the end of his career than at the beginning? And, D, he used to be so lean and wiry; now he's a beast. Good thing that they ain't in the US, where we know how to hunt witches.

BlueDevilJay
05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
Not to be nitpicky but it was Terry, not Perry :) but that's alright. Either way his name in London is now spelled "GOAT", as although I was disappointed in MU winning the title, I can revel in the misery of a few obnoxious Chelsea fans that I have to deal with on a daily basis. For those like Ben on here (and my friend I play soccer with) I do feel bad for. Upstanding fans who respect the opposition deserve the titles their team wins. As for the others, they will be hearing from me on a pretty consistant basis about the famous goalposts in Moscow.

BlueDevilJay
05-22-2008, 11:41 AM
There's a huge slate of US friendlies coming up before Euros start on June 7th. First, US-England in Wembley on May 28th. Then, US-Spain in Santander on June 4th. Finally, US-Argentina at Giants Stadium on June 8th (technically the day after Euros start).

My friend (a Chelsea fan who needs a pick-me-up after yesterday) and I are heading to the US-Argentina game. Anyone else planning on going?

Yeah I think I mentioned those other friendlies in an earlier reply, but I fully intend on watching them all, and would LOVE to go to one but I can't see it happening for me at least. Hopefully there is a bar in KY that will televise the England match so I can catch it live and not have to rely on my TiVo when I get back in town.

blazindw
05-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Yeah I think I mentioned those other friendlies in an earlier reply, but I fully intend on watching them all, and would LOVE to go to one but I can't see it happening for me at least. Hopefully there is a bar in KY that will televise the England match so I can catch it live and not have to rely on my TiVo when I get back in town.

The England game's on ESPN Classic. Any bar that has DirecTV (which most of them do now) will be able to show the game.

BlueDevilJay
05-23-2008, 07:40 AM
The England game's on ESPN Classic. Any bar that has DirecTV (which most of them do now) will be able to show the game.

Yeah I know they will be able to show it, I just wonder how much grief I'm going to get from the locals when I ask to turn it to the Sakker game. :D Most of Kentucky's (as well as North Carolina's) stereotypes are well earned, so I feel justified in saying that :) Hopefully I can find a small place locally to watch, but I'll probably have to drive to Lexington to do so, which is about 20 min drive from where I'll be (Waddy)

Ben63
05-24-2008, 02:09 PM
It was inevitable, but still wrong, Grant should be Chelsea's manager.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=538628&cc=5901

Lavabe
05-24-2008, 09:05 PM
It was inevitable, but still wrong, Grant should be Chelsea's manager.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=538628&cc=5901

You're right. It's just plain wrong.

Good luck with Sven.

Cheers,
Lavabe

blazindw
05-24-2008, 09:14 PM
That is kinda harsh. Is he still staying as director of football operations (the position he was in before Mourinho left) or is he completely gone?

Ben63
05-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Good luck with Sven.

Hey thanks. I sure as hell hope not. Don't know who is out there but there is no way Sven is any better than Grant was and for that matter still is. As long as its not Steve McClaren.

Lavabe
05-27-2008, 02:58 PM
Hey thanks. I sure as hell hope not. Don't know who is out there but there is no way Sven is any better than Grant was and for that matter still is. As long as its not Steve McClaren.

Looks like Sven is off to Mexico!
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/05/27/bc.la.spt.soc.mexico.manager.ap/index.html

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
05-29-2008, 01:42 PM
England 2, USA 0 in a very wet Wembley:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=238507&cc=5901

Gee, a Terry header, and a lovely run and shoot from Gerrard. It should have been a bigger win.

No Landon Donovan (injury). LOADS of substitutes.

Kind of weird not having this match help England prep for Euro.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
05-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Looks like there's a lot of discussion over Nasri:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=540641&cc=5901

That might be a good fit with Arsenal. And Hleb will probably go, if that deal goes through.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
05-31-2008, 06:05 PM
Well how about we head out to see Sir Paul headline a concert:
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N160077080531-0857.htm

And in Liverpool Football news, Ryan Babel is out of Euro 2008 with ankle ligament issues.

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
06-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Alright guys, catch me up! I've returned from the land of no cell phone service, no cable/satellite, basically no information whatsoever. I did manage to find a local sports bar in Lawrenceburg KY to watch the US/England match (what a waste of 90 minutes from the US team) but thats as far as I got in following sports while I was up there. Have Arsenal signed Nasri already?

Lavabe
06-02-2008, 12:01 PM
Alright guys, catch me up! I've returned from the land of no cell phone service, no cable/satellite, basically no information whatsoever. I did manage to find a local sports bar in Lawrenceburg KY to watch the US/England match (what a waste of 90 minutes from the US team) but thats as far as I got in following sports while I was up there. Have Arsenal signed Nasri already?

No signing yet, but as of today, "arsespeak" (that's an arsenal blog, not an expletive) still is waiting for a deal.

In VERY sad news, Gazza is just falling apart:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=541737&cc=5901

I wish the best for him and his family.

Lavabe

cspan37421
06-04-2008, 12:15 AM
Soccer fan here.

In the late 70s I played in the LLSAL - Little League Soccer Association of London. The two squads I played for were named after Man United and Chelsea, the bigs of which are celebrated now, but at the time, Liverpool was dominant, and in '78 Ipswich Town won the final.

We played on Hampstead Heath, which I am informed is better known these days for interesting noctural get-togethers. From Google searches I cannot find evidence that the fields at Heath or the LLSAL still exist.

While living in the UK I did get to see Arsenal play in person. Frank Stapleton was one of their greats at the time.

I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed watching British soccer more than any US matches, whether college or pro. Maybe it is the enthusiastic crowd, singing in unison. Sometimes the fields in the UK just seem more expansive - opening up the game - I don't know. But I do know that my son's EA Sports FIFA game is fantastic on the PC. It has the exact feel in terms of the crowds, the field, etc. It is way fun, I heartily recommend it to anyone who has nostalgia for English football.

BlueDevilJay
06-04-2008, 02:58 PM
I agree with you wholeheartedly about the English matches being a lot better to watch, hands down. The MLS needs to adopt the lower leagues in the US as Division 1 and 2, and get a relegation/promotion thing going here as well. Once ESPN starts carrying Premiership matches and gets more Americans into the game (which it will, once people actually follow an EPL team through an entire season), the MLS will be demanded to do this, and do away with the single entity setup they currently have, thus making it better for all of us. The relegation/promotion system is something I pray makes it way to the States. Then truly every match would count.

cspan37421
06-04-2008, 07:02 PM
BDJ, we may agree on very little politically but ... you had me at "relegation/promotion thing". Nearly every US pro sports league could stand to have such a system, some more than others of course. One can almost look at the ludicrous NBA draft lottery as an example of a Rube Goldberg device that was concocted specifically to avoid such a multi-tiered system (yet it is disguised as a means to avoid nonplayoff teams from tanking their efforts to get a high draft pick).

It also seems to me to be a great way to deal with the small market/large market issue without artificial salary caps, luxury tax, and under-the-table payments to players (it didn't start or end with Joe Smith).

Lavabe
06-04-2008, 11:00 PM
Have Arsenal signed Nasri already?

Now it looks like you'll have to wait until after Euro 2008. But check out the other targets on Wenger's list:
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5g3fczLA1uqdiUuW7lnKyziph1D6A

Flamini to AC Milan.

Cheers,
Lavabe

BlueDevilJay
06-05-2008, 08:04 AM
BDJ, we may agree on very little politically but ... you had me at "relegation/promotion thing". Nearly every US pro sports league could stand to have such a system, some more than others of course. One can almost look at the ludicrous NBA draft lottery as an example of a Rube Goldberg device that was concocted specifically to avoid such a multi-tiered system (yet it is disguised as a means to avoid nonplayoff teams from tanking their efforts to get a high draft pick).

It also seems to me to be a great way to deal with the small market/large market issue without artificial salary caps, luxury tax, and under-the-table payments to players (it didn't start or end with Joe Smith).

Hey we don't have to agree on everything right? :) That's what makes sports so cool, I mean especially soccer. If Im out somewhere wearing my CF4 jersey, and another Arsenal fan is nearby, I've typically got an instant friend, same as when I spot someone wearing an EPL jersey.

The relegation/promotion setup would work very easily at least with the MLS (other major sports it might be a little harder due to just how much money they pull in, and some wouldn't be willing to part with that money on a yearly basis) due mainly to the fact that the MLS teams aren't making HUGE amounts of revenue yet, so they wouldn't be giving up quite as much should they be "relegated". I'm glad the system is in place in England, because it would be hard to convince any of the Big 4 to sign on to something like that now, giving up the TV contracts, deals, $, etc should they get relegated to the Championship.

BlueDevilJay
06-05-2008, 08:05 AM
Now it looks like you'll have to wait until after Euro 2008. But check out the other targets on Wenger's list:
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5g3fczLA1uqdiUuW7lnKyziph1D6A

Flamini to AC Milan.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Yeah I saw that the other day. (re: Nasri) And Flamini has been gone to AC since right after the end of the season. The deal was announced not too long afterwards. Hleb will be the next to exit, but I don't see anyone else leaving. Those Chelsea folks who are rumoring Manu to be wearing their shirt next season are dreaming.

Ben63
06-06-2008, 05:10 PM
Group A

I like Portugal to win the group and Czech Republic to also advance. Turkey is inconsistent, but could play well and advance if they are on an upswing.

Group B

Germany should cruise through this group but 2nd place is up for grabs. I think I'll take Croatia. I honestly dont know much about the three other than Germany, so this is really a guess.

Group C

This is the big boy. I think the Dutch will win this group and France will advance. Hard to pick just two, but the Italians losing Carnovvaro is tough, so I'll take France.

Group D

I think Spain will win the group, even though Torres won't be playing at Anfield. Greece will surprise people...again (think Euro 04)

Knockout Stage

Quarter Finals

Portugal over Croatia
Czech Republic over Germany
The Netherlands over Greece
France over Spain

Semi Finals

Portugal over Czech Republic
The Netherlands over France

Finals

The Netherlands over Portugal

I am so excited about this tournament. I just have a feeling about the Dutch and I think they will do very well. Football is unpredictable so I'm not sure why I try, but hey, who knows?

Lavabe
06-06-2008, 05:27 PM
Group D

I think Spain will win the group, even though Torres won't be playing at Anfield. Greece will surprise people...again (think Euro 04)

Knockout Stage

Quarter Finals

Portugal over Croatia
Czech Republic over Germany
The Netherlands over Greece
France over Spain

Semi Finals

Portugal over Czech Republic
The Netherlands over France

Finals

The Netherlands over Portugal

I am so excited about this tournament. I just have a feeling about the Dutch and I think they will do very well. Football is unpredictable so I'm not sure why I try, but hey, who knows?

Group A: Portugal, Czech
Group B: Germany, Austria (home team...1st game w/Croatia at VIENNA)
Group C: France (Nasri), Netherlands
Group D: Spain*, Russia

* El Nino scored at the Bridge ... expect him to go nuts here.

Quarters
Austria over Portugal
Germany over Czech
France over Russia
Spain (El Nino scores 2 goals) over Netherlands

Semis
Germany over Austria (in a vicious game)
France over Spain

Final
France (w/no Barthez and Zizou) over Germany

I wish England was in it!;)

Just my two cents...
Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
06-06-2008, 09:46 PM
My gut feeling picks for things...

Group A: Portugal and Switzerland
Group B: Germany and Croatia
Group C: Netherlands and Romania
Group D: Spain and Greece

I'll stop there to see how it plays out before predicting the knockout stages. Though if I had to pick a winner right now I think I'd pick Spain(they've got the talent and at some point they'll stop screwing up at major tournaments(like when Raul finally stops getting time up front).

Ben63
06-06-2008, 11:19 PM
Group C: Netherlands and Romania

??????

I respect you alot Deslok but Romania?? Do you see something the rest of us don't??

Deslok
06-07-2008, 02:57 AM
??????

I respect you alot Deslok but Romania?? Do you see something the rest of us don't??

Romania are a lot better than people think. In qualifiers they only lost once, at Bulgaria, topping the group over Holland(whom they beat at home and tied on the road). They don't have any real superstars(Mutu is very good, but not a name that comes up for POY awards and such it seems), but they are very solid all over the field. I would be very confident of them advancing from any group but this one.

Honestly I'm more worried about my Holland pick than I am Romania, because Holland is going boom or bust this tourney. Either a first round exit, or a spot in the semis, but hard to tell which way it will go(but I'm picking them here despite losing Babel for the tourney, that's how much talent they have). I think France is in for a hard fall. Generational wonder teams often fall hard and fast, and this is the stage I think it happens to them(especially with the group they were given). And Italy with a few injuries, and the invariable complacency off the World Cup will struggle to get points.

But its not that I think those 2 teams are bad, everyone in this group is better than Austria, Poland, Sweden, Russia, Turkey, and Switzerland(I picked the last to go through figuring on a host country bounce, Austria isn't good enough for that to even matter).

Lavabe
06-08-2008, 09:31 PM
HOW didn't they tie it up against Croatia? I still don't see how Croatia survived their game in Vienna.

AAARRRGH!!!

Worst moment of the weeekend: Frei going down for the tourney.

Ben63
06-08-2008, 10:57 PM
HOW didn't they tie it up against Croatia? I still don't see how Croatia survived their game in Vienna.

AAARRRGH!!!

Worst moment of the weeekend: Frei going down for the tourney.

Yeah I couldn't believe that, Croatia played terrible, makes it even worse that the 3 Lions are not competing.

Does anyone think that was a penalty? To give call that early in the game, I thought it was undeserved. Really killed Austria for the rest of the half. They picked it up in the 2nd but could not complete their chances.

Very unfortunate for Frei, I really feel for him and his country.

BlueDevilJay
06-09-2008, 08:58 AM
Good games in EURO over the weekend but Im much more excited about the US performance vs Argentina yesterday. Yes it was just a 0-0 draw, but it wasn't a typical draw. We attacked them, Howard saved our butt numerous times, but in the 2nd half, we were the better team for the majority of it. That is until Pablo was sent off in a horrendous officiating decision. We were honestly taking it to them until that point, and even down to 10, we still attacked like we had 11. Great performance by the US mens team, and Freddy Adu needs to be in the starting 11, no questions asked.

Lavabe
06-09-2008, 11:58 AM
... this is a promising development for all of the EPL:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=544566&cc=5901

ManU is annoyed at Real's public attempt to get Ronaldo. If telling dad (FIFA) on Real gets Real to stop the usual raiding they do, I'm all for it.

But I would still like to see Ronaldo leave.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
06-09-2008, 02:01 PM
Ugh, pretty ugly performance by Romania IMO. Played way too conservatively(which isn't terribly surprising for a team that hasn't been contending in awhile in the first match of a Euro championship). Plus their set play kicks were off today. Ahhh well, they got the point.

Now we'll see if the Dutch can get the Italians to open up a bit. I'm not sure Italy is going to score at all in the competition.

Lavabe
06-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Ugh, pretty ugly performance by Romania IMO. Played way too conservatively(which isn't terribly surprising for a team that hasn't been contending in awhile in the first match of a Euro championship). Plus their set play kicks were off today. Ahhh well, they got the point.

Now we'll see if the Dutch can get the Italians to open up a bit. I'm not sure Italy is going to score at all in the competition.

Allez les Bleus!

I wish Henry or Vieira had played. Rather lackluster for the French, but Romania was indeed "pretty ugly." The Romanians just packed it in on defense much of the game. "Conservative" is an understatement.

I expect Italy to play the same as the Romanians just did when they play the Dutch.

Technically speaking, has ANYONE had set pieces working in this tourney?
Cheers,
Lavabe

Deslok
06-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, there's working and there's at least getting the ball into an area of danger. Romania was really not hitting their spots on the kicks(heck, their goalie's footwork was absolutely dreadful on goal kicks or in the course of play). Pretty much none of Romania's corners and free kicks ended up in a challenged header.

And an addition on the ugliness, what game were the refs watching? I think there were at least 5 missed out of bounds deflections, and a few fouls that either were called on minimal contact, or weren't called on pretty solid contact. None of them really were consequential, but still.

rockymtn devil
06-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Well, the Dutch looked great today and put in the first truly impressive performance of the tournament (with apologies to Portugal and Germany, who handled lesser opponents, Holland destroyed the current World Cup holder).

I agreed with the call on the first goal. Absent a Dutch player pushing the defender out of bounds, he kept all attackers onside. And, the second Dutch goal was a thing of beauty. Total football at its best--perfect spacing, accurate passing, well timed runs on the counter attack, and smart finishing near the goal.

It's only one game, and the Dutch don't have a strong history in these tournaments (at least they're not Spain), but they set a tone today...and I love the blue socks.

DevilWolf
06-09-2008, 09:35 PM
You're absolutely correct. A good decision to keep the flag down.

Master Shake
06-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Nice to see the Italians get spanked. Can't stand that side.

BlueDevilJay
06-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Our first signing of the summer! Aaron Ramsey of Cardiff City (Midfielder) has chosen Arsenal over ManU and Everton. This is great news for Arsenal, as everyone had Ramsey slated to end up at Old Trafford next season, but at the last minute, he decided to go to London (and the correct club in London :) ) I was hoping we would get this kid, and should he live up to his potential, Cesc is going to have another playmaker alongside him soon. Awesome news!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=544826&cc=5901

Lavabe
06-10-2008, 01:53 PM
England was knocked out of a trip to Euro 2008 because of Russia, right?

Better check out what's going on with Spain vs. Russia. Egads!!:eek:

Lavabe
06-10-2008, 04:41 PM
If you had Greece winning another Euro, let's just say don't hold your breath based on their performance against Sweden. Ycch!

BlueDevilJay
06-11-2008, 07:50 AM
If you had Greece winning another Euro, let's just say don't hold your breath based on their performance against Sweden. Ycch!

Careful Lavabe, you're really going out on a limb there and saying Greece won't win it ;) :D Just messing with ya. But honestly, they weren't expected to win it in 04, their victory was a HUGE upset over the hosts Portugal. I liked what I saw from my pretourney prediction, Spain. Although I am left scratching my head that my boy CF4 can't even crack the starting 11 in Spain, but wins the PFA Young Footballer of the Year award. Explain that one....:confused:

Ben63
06-11-2008, 08:47 AM
My pick, Holland, looked excellent on Monday. They should win the group now, especially with the goal difference they gave themselves and the poor showing France had.

As for Cesc, Spain looked pretty damn good without him, and when he went on, he did score (but was offsides) but it could be deadly for opponents if Cesc is a sub and he will cause chaos for defenses coming on with fresh legs when they are tired. And you know you have a good team when Fabregas is a sub and Raul is at home watching it on TV.

Looks to be the favorites so far, nonetheless its shaping up to be quite a knockout round. Some of the group games are pretty predictable and boring, but I guess that's to be expected in a tournament like this.