PDA

View Full Version : Wow, Coach K did this in 1993 (true)

BlueDevilCorvette!
04-21-2010, 11:50 AM
I'm here in Greenville, NC. I went to a little Goodyear shop in Winterville, NC last Friday. The receptionist was an elderly woman (real sweet lady). I had one of my many Duke T-Shirts on and she asked me was I a Duke fan. I proudly said, "Yes, Mam!". She said well I am a UNC fan but when UNC isn't playing I root for Duke just as hard. She then said, "I have something you wouldn't believe". I took a couple of guesses and then she finally said, "I have Coach K's autograph on a UNC Tarheel Foot!" My jaw dropped on the floor! She said in 1993 she and her daughter (who attended UNC) went to RDU airport to greet UNC after winning the NCAAT. Once they got to RDU she notice a man standing beside the wall all alone and realized it was Coach K waiting for a ride. She humbly approached him and asked for his autograph but the only thing she had was a UNC note pad. Without hesitation, she stated Coach K signed it "Best Wishes Love Coach K". She had the autograph note pad laminated. Wow, Coach K is a cool man! I wonder if any other coaches would do likewise for a Duke fan this year...mmmm?

CameronBornAndBred
04-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Without hesitation, she stated Coach K signed it "Best Wishes Love Coach K". She had the autograph note pad laminated. Wow, Coach K is a cool man! I wonder if any other coaches would do likewise for a Duke fan this year...mmmm?
The only way the story would be better was if he signed it "Best Wishes Love Coach K, GTHC".:D

DukieInKansas
04-21-2010, 12:12 PM
:D
The only way the story would be better was if he signed it "Best Wishes Love Coach K, GTHC".:D

There is probably a tiny 9F on it somewhere. :D

mkline09
04-21-2010, 12:24 PM
When I was like 9 or 10 Quinn Snyder prior to his coaching day (early 1990s) was at a car dealership in my hometown with Terry Gannon and Hawkeye Whitney doing some kind of fundraising authograph event. My dad took me to get the autographs of the guys and Snyder and Whitney were very nice and signed autographs. We mentioned to Snyder we were huge Duke fans and Gannon said "Oh well then I guess you don't want my signature then and walked away." Till this day I've alway thought he was a A-hole for that comment. I was a kid and he was the one acting like one.

I knew who he was and that he had played for State and I respected the game enough to respect him as a former player regardless of rivalry. Not after that day.

NashvilleDevil
04-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Quick Quin Snyder story

Went to the Duke/Notre Dame game in South Bend during the 86-87 season when I was 9. Duke lost but after the game my Mom and I went down to the locker room area and I got every players autograph, Amaker, Brickey, Strickland, Smith, Ferry, Alaa, Nesley and Quin's.

Quin was being interviewed and I waited as patiently as a 9 year old could. After he was done talking he asked me over and talked to me for about 5 minutes and signed my sheet. I know he has had his issues but I will always be a Quin Snyder fan (my Mom still loves him to this day) for his patience and being generous with his time when I was 9.

mkline09
04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I had a very similar experience with Quin. Seemed like a great guy.

airowe
04-21-2010, 01:00 PM
When I was 12 Christian Laettner was signing an autograph for me and a bead of his sweat dripped onto my forearm. I didn't shower for a week.

cbnaylor
04-21-2010, 01:09 PM
This isn't the first time Coach K did something nice and won't be the last time. As many of you know, K was promoting his book last summer "The Golden Standard." K had schedule to be in Greensboro at the Barnes and Nobles store between 6-8. I showed up around 3:45 to get there earlier but it was packed. K could have easily left at 8pm that night but he stayed until the last book was signed. When K finally left that night it was the next morning. K stayed until well over 12. Now how many people do you know would have done that?

oldnavy
04-21-2010, 05:53 PM
My son, a tarheel fan, meet Jay Williams back in 2002 and was wearing a UNC baseball cap. Jay didn't even hesitate to sign it. My son has been a Jay Williams fan since then.

-jk
04-21-2010, 06:14 PM
My son, a tarheel fan...

Does Child Welfare know about this?

-jk

duke79
04-21-2010, 08:51 PM

-jk

LOL. VERY funny !!

mattman91
04-21-2010, 09:03 PM
I went to the 2006 basketball camp and coach k was there everyday. I didnt think much of it because after all it is HIS camp, but my brother went to the UNC camp the year before and the only time he saw roy was the last day were he stood beside him for 10 seconds to get a quick picture with him. He didnt even sign autographs. On the last day of our camp coach k met each and every camper and spent a good 3 minutes or so with us to shake our hands, take pictures and sign autographs. He even invited my mom over for a picture with all three of us. He is far from what most people (UNC) fans say he is. He is really a great man off the court.

BlueHeaven
04-22-2010, 06:17 AM
In 1999 I was very pregnant with my first child. After we lost, I couldn't sleep and at 3am penned a weepy, tear-stained letter about how much I loved that team to Coach K. I mailed it the next day and forgot about it, busy with the baby all summer and embarrassed that I could even think they would read it. Lo and behold, in September, Coach K wrote me back with a very sweet personal letter. I framed it and hung it on my wall.

oldnavy
04-22-2010, 06:17 AM

-jk

Well, unfortunately my beloved wife of over 30 years was able to brain wash him, despite my best efforts. My oldest son is however a Duke fan, so I am one for two!!

DevilWolf
04-22-2010, 08:21 AM
Since somebody mentioned Laettner ... I saw CL out with some other players at the old Pizza Hut that used to be on Erwin Road. My mom gave me a piece of paper to go get autographs and they all gladly signed, except Christian. He asked me if my mom had another piece of paper, and I said yeah, and he told me he'd sign that one so I wouldn't have to remember who the other guys were in the future.

This was after the blue/white game his freshman year.

Speaking of Pizza Hut, I also got Clarkston Hines' autograph there too. First time I'd ever seen a man wearing a fur coat. Dude was a straight up pimp.

MIKESJ73
04-22-2010, 08:55 AM
In 2000 I had to have a hip replacement. I was only 26 and pretty disappointed about it being a runner. My doctor had told me and my wife that he had done Coach K's surgery. Unknown to me, my wife decided to write a letter to Coach K telling him about my surgery and how big of a fan I was. He hand wrote a great letter of encouragement and sent me a Duke T-shirt. It was so cool. I couldn't believe that he took the time. I'm sure he gets 1000's of letters, I bet there are 1000's of similar stories.

I met Danny Ferry his senior year. I was only 14 at a basketball camp. The coaches told us he was only there to say a few words to the campers, but he stayed and played with us for over an hour. He was so huge to me back then, in my mind he is still 9' tall. He was really great with all of us and we had a great time. Looking back now, he was only a kid.

LSanders
04-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Since somebody mentioned Laettner ... I saw CL out with some other players at the old Pizza Hut that used to be on Erwin Road. My mom gave me a piece of paper to go get autographs and they all gladly signed, except Christian. He asked me if my mom had another piece of paper, and I said yeah, and he told me he'd sign that one so I wouldn't have to remember who the other guys were in the future.

Absolutely perfect!! :D

Magnolia888
04-22-2010, 02:16 PM
Speaking of Pizza Hut, I also got Clarkston Hines' autograph there too. First time I'd ever seen a man wearing a fur coat. Dude was a straight up pimp.

The first time I met Clarkston Hines, he was wearing nothing but a towel.

Well, hello there. It was my second day at Duke, and I don't think classes had even started yet. Welcome to Duke, indeed. :D

duke79
04-22-2010, 04:18 PM
All these stories just prove my theory that when you are a class person and run a class program, you attract class people.

BigZ
04-22-2010, 04:29 PM
I have two autographs from K, didn't get either from him in person but through connections got them as two birhtday gifts. The ironic thing is that i got them for my birthday which is in late March and got them in 2001 and 2010. Which is kind of funny. The 2001 is a signed poster of the team picture with the team in cameron wearing tuxes. The 2010 autograph is that of just a white duke basketball.

DukieInKansas
04-22-2010, 04:48 PM
I have two autographs from K, didn't get either from him in person but through connections got them as two birhtday gifts. The ironic thing is that i got them for my birthday which is in late March and got them in 2001 and 2010. Which is kind of funny. The 2001 is a signed poster of the team picture with the team in cameron wearing tuxes. The 2010 autograph is that of just a white duke basketball.

Please talk to the people that gave these fabulous gifts to you on past birthdays. I think you need another to make it a collection. Then you can work on expanding your collection. :D

FerryFor50
04-23-2010, 04:37 PM
I have a Coach K signed T-shirt from the 1987 Final Four that my mom got for me as a gift.

And I once saw Laettner at Golden Corral in Durham and asked for his autograph, but he shooed me away. :( (I was only 11 or 12)

I saw Scheyer this year at Mad Hatter's... but had flashbacks of my Laettner experience and left him alone. :p