PDA

View Full Version : The No-Stats All-Star

DoubleDuke Dad
04-20-2010, 04:11 PM
There is a great article in the New York Times Magazine on Shane Battier. The Rockets consider Shane to be an all-star player because of all of the things he does that are not recorded in the official stats. Read it and enjoy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?_r=1

JohnGalt
04-20-2010, 04:13 PM
This has been covered ad infinitum by all sorts of different outlets. And each time I read about it, I absolutely love it. Shane does so much for the game that isn't recorded in the stat book.

NovaScotian
04-20-2010, 06:33 PM
There is a great article in the New York Times Magazine on Shane Battier. The Rockets consider Shane to be an all-star player because of all of the things he does that are not recorded in the official stats. Read it and enjoy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/15/magazine/15Battier-t.html?_r=1

yea, seriously. check the date on this article - it's over a year old!

basket1544
04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
It is a year old, but it is still highly relevant. It puts into words what I've been trying to say for 10 years now. Thanks for hunting that up for us.

Dukeface88
04-20-2010, 11:13 PM
It is a year old, but it is still highly relevant. It puts into words what I've been trying to say for 10 years now. Thanks for hunting that up for us.

It's also very instructional for those of us who are newer to basketball fanhood. Now I'll know to look for those little things when I watch. I wish I had run in to it before - I'm sure a lot of those same statless contributions occured on this year's Duke team.

basket1544
04-20-2010, 11:16 PM
It's also very instructional for those of us who are newer to basketball fanhood. Now I'll know to look for those little things when I watch. I wish I had run in to it before - I'm sure a lot of those same statless contributions occurred on this year's Duke team.

Yes, this past team did a lot of Shane-like things. Things that don't show up on the stat sheet, but make it easier for the team to win. I wish there was a way to measure it beyond the +/- stat.

Starter
04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
I still have the NY Times magazine with this article on my coffee table. When he was at Duke, I used to love in particular the move where he wouldn't jump to attempt to block a jump shot, but would stick his hand in front of the shooter's eyes, blocking his vision. People HATED that, but it was brilliant.