PDA

View Full Version : Singler back according to GoDuke.com

jsw12
04-19-2010, 07:54 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/04/19/sources:_dukes_singler_to_return_for_senior_season

Lord Ash
04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
Hm. Would love a confirmation. Not getting too excited until then.

baby-face dawkins
04-19-2010, 07:56 PM
good news, if it's true

MChambers
04-19-2010, 08:01 PM
http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/04/19/sources:_dukes_singler_to_return_for_senior_season

I wish people wouldn't leak this. (Not saying who the sources are, of course, because I don't know.) But let Kyle make the announcement.

Jderf
04-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Maybe those with a better understanding of the situation could chime in here. I know Goodman has got to be a pretty damn reliable source, but nothing is sure until Kyle announces. Anybody care to give a ballpark estimate on the odds that Goodman is wrong?

JaMarcus Russell
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Goodman is one of the most reliable guys covering college sports so this is very interesting. I will be very excited to see Kyle, Nolan, and the rest of the guys back for next year along with some very exciting new faces like Seth and Kyrie.

Obviously we will have three very important players to replace, but I am very excited about the upcoming season.

SuperTurkey
04-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Wow, I hope this is true.

AlaskanAssassin
04-19-2010, 08:10 PM
Am I the only one who wants Singler to head to the draft? He is well prepared and has won us a chip.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2010, 08:12 PM
Am I the only one who wants Singler to head to the draft? He is well prepared and has won us a chip.
In a word, YES! :cool:

roywhite
04-19-2010, 08:15 PM

Certainly wouldn't protest if Kyle were to go pro; as you say, he's done a great job and was a key player in a championship. But if he chooses to return, that's fine, too!

So long as he has given this considerable thought and gotten input from Coach K, his family, and pro sources, I can't see how he makes a mistake with either choice.

tbyers11
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
Maybe those with a better understanding of the situation could chime in here. I know Goodman has got to be a pretty damn reliable source, but nothing is sure until Kyle announces. Anybody care to give a ballpark estimate on the odds that Goodman is wrong?

Goodman has been correct on every early entry so far. He doesn't usually go with the story unless he is sure. I'd say 95% chance he is right.

Gthoma2a
04-19-2010, 08:16 PM
I can't say that I am sure of either thing, but if this is true, I celebrate tonight and hope with every fiber of my being that he doesn't get hurt. He deserves all the success in the world. He will make our team special next year because of the toughness he always brings and I look forward to seeing him in Cameron for another season. Be sure to note that I secretly hoped he would come back out of selfish reasons, while never believing he would for the letdown that would surely follow if he didn't.

roywhite
04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
http://www.sportingnews.com/college-basketball/article/2010-04-19/kyle-singler-reportedly-return-duke-for-senior-year

Sporting News (admittedly citing Goodman) has gone with this, too!

WiJoe
04-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Did goodman have he who shall not be named coming to Duke? Thought he did.

YourLandlord
04-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Christmas in April! Again!

amat1129
04-19-2010, 08:22 PM

you nailed it.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2010, 08:23 PM

you nailed it.
I usually do! :D:rolleyes:;)

dukeimac
04-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Good or bad, things happen for a reason. He has to make the best decision for himself, and no one else; you, me or otherwise.

If he goes pro we should all be thankful he graced Duke.

If he stays we should feel blessed he is considering gracing Duke for another year.

Besides that, good or bad, things happen for a reason.

chadlee989
04-19-2010, 08:28 PM

I think i speak for most when i say. I am a Duke fan first. Kyle Singler fan second. And not a fan at all of the nba. So yes i hope he comes back. but if he decides to go them i am happy for him.

FireOgilvie
04-19-2010, 08:31 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204932391

It's official!

Vincetaylor
04-19-2010, 08:32 PM
If this is true...wow, wow, wow. We should be awfully tough to beat. Definitely two of the best players in the country and probably three.

MarkD83
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
For good karma I think a thread should be started documenting what Kyle will need to average to reach 2000 points.

Jderf
04-19-2010, 08:34 PM
If this is true...wow, wow, wow. We should be awfully tough to beat. Definitely two of the best players in the country and probably three.

maybe even four (or five).

WiJoe
04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Kyle.

B E A U T I F U L !

FireOgilvie
04-19-2010, 08:36 PM
From the article: "I love being here at Duke and am excited about next year," said Singler. "I had two great options in front of me, but I did not want to miss out on all of the great things to come in a senior season."

He's at 1,767 points right now, third most of any junior in school history.

wilko
04-19-2010, 08:37 PM
Well Good for Kyle!
I'm glad he is at a decision.

Either way, I would have been thrilled for him and been behind him 100%
Still tho - Whatever HER name is that convinced him to stay... lets take up a collection and send her some flowers as a "Thank you"

Classof06
04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
As if things couldn't get any better..

stillcrazie
04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
I just read this on the ESPN bottom line. Came to DBR to get confirmation. Still can't quite believe it.

MarkD83
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
This is wonderful news and I am glad Kyle appreciates that a senior season is something to cherish and look forward to.

By the way does this count as a recruiting victory?

DukieBoy
04-19-2010, 08:39 PM
Repeat champs

OZZIE4DUKE
04-19-2010, 08:40 PM
Woo Hoo!!!!!

Kewlswim
Hi,

I am glad Kyle has decided to come back--these are the best years of one's life. If he was to get injured can the University buy an insurance policy or is that against the rules?

GO DUKE!

baby-face dawkins
Outstanding news! Can't wait to see what this team will be like

Daniel tosh
It's great to know Kyle will be back,he represents us so well,he's a warrior a true warrior.THANKS KYLE!

mehmattski
04-19-2010, 08:41 PM
From the article: "I love being here at Duke and am excited about next year," said Singler. "I had two great options in front of me, but I did not want to miss out on all of the great things to come in a senior season."

He's at 1,767 points right now, third most of any junior in school history.

Was kind of hoping for some kind of "defending champs" quote from Kyle, but whatever.

So Kyle needs to average at least 10 points per game in 25 games to crack 2,000 points :)

RoyalBlue08
04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Preseason #1. Dozens of threads suggesting player X, Y, and Z should be receiving more minutes. And a chance to do something really special. Oh how I wish we could start the season tomorrow!

Jeff Frosh
04-19-2010, 08:42 PM
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you, Kyle. You are THE MAN.

theAlaskanBear
04-19-2010, 08:43 PM
Wow, this is COMPLETELY AWESOME. I can't wait for next year, can I just sleep or be frozen until then?

What are his goals? Average 20 and 10 and win another championship?

I wonder if he will be switching positions again, though, and playing the four. We have an abundance of guards, and will be inexperienced in the front court.

Where ever he plays, this Duke team is gonna ROCK!

ElSid
i think this is reliable.

as more and more kids have entered this draft, it is uncommonly crowded, especially at kyle's position. next year, despite the threat of lockout, he could be 10-20 positions higher, which is real money, even after a new collective bargaining agreement hits end of 2011. he can afford to wait. and he essentially gets a free year to work on NBA level conditioning with whichever team drafts him.

duke has a wonderful chance to have late season success again next season...which NBA talent scouts value, rightly or wrongly. another late run and his stock would just continue to surge.

and, getting a chance to play on a team that has a more uptempo style will benefit him, provided that he does well, which he should.

folks, we have the MOP of the final four coming back as a senior with fellow senior nolan smith and kyrie irving not to mention two sick athletic shooters in dawkins and curry and two relatively experienced post guys in MP1 and MP2. and carrick felix might be a wild card. i have to say i'm happy as a clam about how things are shaping up for next year.

Houston
Thanks Kyle. Duke could be without the services of another number at the beginning of the 2011-12 season.

DukeBlueNV
04-19-2010, 08:44 PM
sweet.

Bluedevil114
04-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Kyle Singler may end up being my most favorite Duke player ever. I love that he is back. He will definitely be a finalist for National Player of the Year. Kyle gives us a ligit shot to repeat as Champions. Kyle will have his number retired before he is done at Duke!! He also will shut down HB down the street.

Where does he play next year? Small Forward or Power Forward.....guess it does not matter since we will be so deep next season.

MarkD83
04-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Preseason #1. Dozens of threads suggesting player X, Y, and Z should be receiving more minutes. And a chance to do something really special. Oh how I wish we could start the season tomorrow!

Actually, this will be one of the most content "off-seasons" in many years so cherish the next few months. I can recommend several DVDs to view while we are waiting for next fall.

Welcome2DaSlopes
Happiest day since the championship

Son of Mojo
Great news to hear tonight. I sense greater things to come now from the oncoming season than I already thought would happen.

Lord Ash
04-19-2010, 08:47 PM
WOOO HOOO!!!!!

Awesome, awesome! Holy cow, we are going to be SO damn complete next year... most dangerous team since 01 for SURE.

"I love being here at Duke and am excited about next year. I had two great options in front of me, but I did not want to miss out on all of the great things to come in a senior season."

- Kyle Singler

Mike Corey
04-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Kyle loves Duke, his coaches and his teammates a whole helluva lot. That, among other reasons, is primarily why he's coming back to school.

When he arrived at Duke as a pre-frosh, K told him that if he worked hard, he could be one of the great ones.

He's well on his way. :)

AlaskanAssassin
04-19-2010, 08:50 PM
Since it has been confirmed, I hope he'll become one of Duke's greatest and have his jersey retired when he graduates.

SMO
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Does he have a chance at the all-time ACC scoring record? Too lazy to look it up and do the math.

Can't wait to hear Coach K say, "We aren't defending anything."

pamtar
04-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Screamed so loud when I saw the bottom line scroll that my wife dropped a glass of water.

Its a good time to be a Duke fan!

91devil
04-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Grab your bags, IT'S ON!

GLTBD
Awesome can't wait until next season.

superdave
The ACC tourney MVP and Final Four MOP is coming back. How many times can you say that? Wow!

The best part is, he wont have to play center or 37 minutes a night. It's going to be a breeeeeeeze!

Spy
04-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Does he have a chance at the all-time ACC scoring record? Too lazy to look it up and do the math.

No. He would have to score more than 1000 points.:(

But wow, I am so pumped for next season. I can't wait to see what they are saying over at IC.:D

theAlaskanBear
04-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Was kind of hoping for some kind of "defending champs" quote from Kyle, but whatever.

So Kyle needs to average at least 10 points per game in 25 games to crack 2,000 points :)

He wants his jersey up there in the rafters! If he averages 20 points through a 35 game season he will pass Christian Laettner as the #3 alltime scorer for DUke and be the #7 in ACC history. It will be hard to average 20 points because of all our shooters, but if we play uptempo its certainly doable. But hopefully we will be playing 40 games like this year, and he will only have to average 17!

roywhite
04-19-2010, 08:57 PM

Not really. He's at 1767 points now.

Here are the all-time top 10 ACC scorers

1. Tyler Hansbrough, North Carolina 2872

2. J. J. Redick, Duke 2769

3. Dickie Hemric, Wake Forest 2587

4. Johnny Dawkins, Duke 2556

5. Rodney Monroe, N. C. State 2551

6. Bryant Stith, Virginia 2516

7. Christian Laettner, Duke 2460

8. Mike Gminski, Duke 2323

9. Jeff Lamp, Virginia 2317

10. David Thompson, N. C. State 2309

He certainly can get on this list, and maybe pass a few.

YourLandlord
04-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Anyone know any good hotels in San Antonio? :D :D :D

Mike Corey
04-19-2010, 09:01 PM

Knock on wood, daggum it!

Newton_14
04-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Dang this it awesome! Tomorrow is my birthday and I don't even want anything else. This is the best bday gift I could have gotten! (Sad, I know)

Wow. Last fall after watching a few episodes of the new show "Flash Forward", I put a silly post in one of the threads about "in my flash forward" it was April 29th, I was watching ESPN and Kyle Singler was announcing that he was coming back for his Senior Year for a chance to win back to back National Titles...

Little did I know huh?

What were the chances last fall that Duke would win the National Title AND Singler would come back???

Way to go Kyle! I cannot wait to see you get even better next year!!!!!

DevilHorns
04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow Singler is set to add to his legendary status. This is awesome. I'm sure Jumbo will start a stat thread for Kyle soon :)

ElSid
04-19-2010, 09:07 PM
...but to talk about high expectations, here are a few.

He will likely be a pre-season player of the year candidate.
He will be pre-season ACC player of the year.
He will be pre-season 1st team all american.
He has nearly 1800 points so he should easily pass 2000 and get in the tippity top of Duke scorers.
Given that he rebounds well, I'd expect him to end up with one of those stats like "only player to have 2000+ points, x number of rebounds, y number of assists".

God. We could go Irving, Smith, Curry in the back court with MP1 or 2 and Singler. Or put Singler at the three and start both MP1 and MP2.

Good times.

Stray Gator
04-19-2010, 09:08 PM

I don't care to go back to San Antonio for any basketball games, thanks just the same. But I'd love to spend the first weekend in April of 2011 in Houston. Or better yet, let's call it Houstonapolis... :D

mailman2927
thrilled kyle is coming back. he will without a doubt jump into my list of fav blue devils along with jj, laettner, hurley, dawkins, ferry just to mention my current top five.

mgtr
This is fabulous news for us. Every other coach in the country is groaning - Duke gets all the breaks. Should be a good offseason!

NashvilleDevil
04-19-2010, 09:09 PM

If you stay in San Antonio you're going to miss Duke playing for the title in Houston. :D

billyj
04-19-2010, 09:09 PM
I am in a happy place. Inner peace. ;)

dukemsu
04-19-2010, 09:11 PM
A truly welcome surprise. Kyle has the chance to elevate to true Legend status.

We're going to see some very interesting lineups. It will be fascinating to watch K work with this group.

Might we see a return to the overplay man-to-man? Hard to say without knowing how Kyrie and Seth play D.

It's going to be one hell of a ride. LGD.

dukemsu

YourLandlord
04-19-2010, 09:16 PM
If you stay in San Antonio you're going to miss Duke playing for the title in Houston. :D

FML. I knew Houston, must have had the '10 womens FF on my mind...

jipops
04-19-2010, 09:17 PM
I have to wonder if the apparent offensive prowess of incoming freshman Kyrie Irving had something to do with it. Kyle has never played with a true drive and kick pg nor a pg that initiates an up-tempo offense. This could give Kyle some nice spot up looks which has been one of his strongest suits.

This may also benefit guys like Hairston and Felix in the long run as well as they won't have to be thrown into the fire right away. Get your "why don't Carrick and Josh get more pt?" responses ready. This is of course an enormous benefit to the rest of the guys on the team b/c while being such a great player on both sides of the court, Kyle is also an excellent glue guy. Kyrie and Seth are going to love distributing to this guy on both the wing and the post.

What probably has me most excited is the return of Kyle's defense. In the latter part of the season he showed an excellent ability to guard front court players and big wings. The job he did on De'Shaun Butler and Gordon Hayward was unbelievable. Those are two pro-caliber talents he shut down.

I do have to wonder how this is going to affect Andre and Mason. Does Kyle continue to play the big wing and push Andre further down the rotation? Or does Kyle return to a pf spot and push Mason out of the starting lineup?

This is great news but K does have some chemistry to build here. We are not at all the same team with Scheyer, Z, and Thomas gone. In the months of March and April those were three great defenders. Even with Kyle back I have serious doubts we'll reach the high level of defense that was on display for almost all of this past season. And we have a lot of guys who really want to play.

Big Pappa
04-19-2010, 09:22 PM
FML. I knew Houston, must have had the '10 womens FF on my mind...

Yeah that happens to me all the time...

Anyway, the article mentions a press conference tomorrow but I didn't see a time or place. Does anyone know?

grossbus
04-19-2010, 09:23 PM
"Actually, this will be one of the most content "off-seasons" in many years so cherish the next few months."

so very true, this.

fantastic news.

DukeGirl4ever
04-19-2010, 09:25 PM
No joke, I shed a few tears of joy when I read this.
This has truly been a SUCKY day, but this totally turned everything around.
Thank you, Kyle. And thank you Duke basketball for giving me an outlet to enjoy something special.

dukestheheat
04-19-2010, 09:26 PM
I truly had a feeling that it'd come to this! I am so pleased that he's going to stay and we are just blessed to have him.

I hope I get the chance to ask him about that last pick play in the Butler game;....I do think that that play had even Iron Man woozy!

Thanks for staying Kyle!

dth.

dukeblue225
04-19-2010, 09:29 PM
Irving
Nolan
Kyle MP1
MP2

Bench:
Dawkins & Curry- two flat out shooters that can come in and light it up
R Kelly- Stretch the floor hopefully be able to contribute like on of the Plums did this year
J Hairston- Also provide inside scoring and rebounding for one of the Plums
T Thornton & C Felix- Come in to play lock down defense and add athleticism

This team is a dream team. It's going to be beautiful.

diveonthefloor
04-19-2010, 09:29 PM

Dang, I thought it was in Houston!:cool:

davekay1971
04-19-2010, 09:30 PM
And IC is celebrating with one of the most classless threads I've ever seen. Don't think I've ever openly hoped for career failure or injury of a Carolina player, nor have I seen that on DBR, but it's nice for IC to confirm everything we all think about the louts over there.

I hope Singler reads each and every post on that thread and spends his senior year shoving it up their collective rears.

Great news, and here's hoping Kyle and Nolan have the kind of senior season Jon, Lance, and Zoubs had.

ElSid
04-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I have to wonder if the apparent offensive prowess of incoming freshman Kyrie Irving had something to do with it. Kyle has never played with a true drive and kick pg nor a pg that initiates an up-tempo offense. This could give Kyle some nice spot up looks which has been one of his strongest suits.

This may also benefit guys like Hairston and Felix in the long run as well as they won't have to be thrown into the fire right away. Get your "why don't Carrick and Josh get more pt?" responses ready. This is of course an enormous benefit to the rest of the guys on the team b/c while being such a great player on both sides of the court, Kyle is also an excellent glue guy. Kyrie and Seth are going to love distributing to this guy on both the wing and the post.

What probably has me most excited is the return of Kyle's defense. In the latter part of the season he showed an excellent ability to guard front court players and big wings. The job he did on De'Shaun Butler and Gordon Hayward was unbelievable. Those are two pro-caliber talents he shut down.

I do have to wonder how this is going to affect Andre and Mason. Does Kyle continue to play the big wing and push Andre further down the rotation? Or does Kyle return to a pf spot and push Mason out of the starting lineup?

This is great news but K does have some chemistry to build here. We are not at all the same team with Scheyer, Z, and Thomas gone. In the months of March and April those were three great defenders. Even with Kyle back I have serious doubts we'll reach the high level of defense that was on display for almost all of this past season. And we have a lot of guys who really want to play.

I think yes, Kyrie gives Kyle the chance to show what he can do with a point guard in the game that plays an NBA style.

Coach K does have a lot of minutes to figure out. I propose playing more full court trapping defense to really push other teams into turnovers. Depends on how well everyone embraces playing defense, but wouldn't that be fun?

I think depending on our match up, our starting line up will be nolan, kyrie, kyle and both plumlees. with the option of moving kyle to the 4 and inserting curry or dawkins. Those guys are going to be giving their all in practice to get playing time which means they're going to get very very good eventually.

This team will have the core of a team that was extremely close and had a great attitude. That attitude translated into a national championship. I don't think any of these guys are going to pout. If they want to play more, they're going to work harder and do more in practice. We could start two competitive teams in the ACC next year with our depth.

Depth, talent, experience, coaching. And not to look too far ahead, but the geography of future tournament cities line up well for us if we can get the East #1 seed. Just sayin'.

jhole
04-19-2010, 09:38 PM
I'll take a senior Kyle Singler, MVP of ACC Tourney and Final Four, over a one and done freshman Harrison Barnes every day!

To think how this season began with the disappointment of Harrison's commitment to Carolina, then Duke wins it all in a year no one thought possible, and on top of that Carolina was preseason top 10 and failed to make the tournament!

Order has truly been restored.

WiJoe
04-19-2010, 09:42 PM
And IC is celebrating with one of the most classless threads I've ever seen. Don't think I've ever openly hoped for career failure or injury of a Carolina player, nor have I seen that on DBR, but it's nice for IC to confirm everything we all think about the louts over there.

I hope Singler reads each and every post on that thread and spends his senior year shoving it up their collective rears.

Great news, and here's hoping Kyle and Nolan have the kind of senior season Jon, Lance, and Zoubs had.

I refuse to go to ic, but I'm sure if you provide a couple examples of the poop bring thrown around there that it would reinforce my feelings about the fans of the sissy shade of blue.

yancem
04-19-2010, 09:42 PM
Maybe the most important aspect of Singler coming back next season is leadership. I really think that the biggest reason that the talented '03 team couldn't pull off the repeat was the lack of a tough senior leader. It wasn't so much Battier and James' production that was missed but their leadership when the game was on the line. That will to win.

Scheyer, Z and Thomas brought that this year. Having Smith returning was important but having two seniors that have been through what he and Singler have been through is priceless.

Without Singler next year's team would have put up a lot of points and would have won a lot of games but I'm not sure who would have been the glue guy, the guy to do the dirty work (I think that both Felix and Hairston could be that guy in '12 but probably not next year). That's the great thing about Singler, nit only is he a stud but he is also a glue guy. Very similar to Battier.

This isn't meant to be a diss on Smith either. He is going to be huge for Duke next season and he has great leadership abilities as well as a willingness to do the dirty work. He will be the Williams to Singler's Battier.

Having to start seniors return from a NC is very rare and awesome for those of us that root for the darker shade of blue. Barring an unfortunate event (read: injury (knock on wood)) we will see #12 in the rafters some senior night next season. That should resolve the whole nc team/retired jersey debate going on the Scheyer thread.

Happy Days!!!!!!

Tsetse0510
04-19-2010, 09:43 PM
How much of an impact does Gerald Henderson...rotting at the end of an NBA bench play a role in Kyle's decision to return?

Atlanta Duke
04-19-2010, 09:44 PM

One IC poster has figured out the bright side in this development for Carolina

"I guess this will give us the chance to see if they were for real this year. A lot of us felt that they got very lucky this year."

http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=78&f=1410&t=5866512

:D

Obviously glad to see Mr. Singler returning and pleased that many posters on DBR for the last several weeks have acknowledged there were good arguments in support of leaving as well as staying while wishing Kyle the best no matter which path he took

WiJoe
04-19-2010, 09:45 PM
How much of an impact does Gerald Henderson...rotting at the end of an NBA bench play a role in Kyle's decision to return?

I saw somewhere - it HAD to be on DBR - that G was telling "someone" on the current roster how much he wished he had stayed in school. Anyone remember this?

Johnboy
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I'd love to spend the first weekend in April of 2011 in Houston. Or better yet, let's call it Houstonapolis... :D

I second that motion!

GLTBD
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM
I don't care to go back to San Antonio for any basketball games, thanks just the same. But I'd love to spend the first weekend in April of 2011 in Houston. Or better yet, let's call it Houstonapolis... :D

When I heard the good news I told my husband to quick call work and schedule vacation for next April. He missed the final 4 this year, but not next year. Go Duke. Thanks again Kyle

Johnboy
04-19-2010, 09:49 PM
One IC poster has figured out the bright side in this development for Carolina

"I guess this will give us the chance to see if they were for real this year. A lot of us felt that they got very lucky this year."

What an ignorant comment. You'd think even a Carolina guy would recognize that losing 3/5 of the starters makes for a different team. I'll be shocked if Duke plays the same style next year.

cptnflash
04-19-2010, 09:51 PM
Woo-Hoo!! So glad to have Kyle back for one more year!!

NOW we can justifiably claim to be the favorite in the ACC, and a legit preseason top 5 team nationally.

Verga3
04-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Kyle performed with all his sophomore and junior teammates at the 1st edition of "Duke Idol" last night in Cameron, a fundraiser for the Duke Children's Hospital. What an entertaining evening for an incredible cause.

The Duke women's Track & Field team were the big winners! There were many great Duke student and student-athlete performances. Coach Cut played the Simon Cowell role and gave no quarter. I love him. Fun night.

Kyle (at the mike) and Nolan (at the mike & dance) headlined their basketball/dance-off performance....great stuff. At the end, Kyle was coaxed by the crowd to shoot (thinking...last shots in Cameron?). He barely missed two from half-court, showed a big smile and shrugged. Immediately, Dre launches one from the elevated dance stage, 40 feet away, and drains it. The place erupts as Dre holds both hands aloft. Pretty cool evening. Kyle and every teammate looked very happy to be a student-athlete at Duke last night.

Welcome back, Kyle!

bluepenguin
04-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Any chance he won't declare for the draft and come back for another year? It sure would be great to see him play one more year.:D

miramar
04-19-2010, 10:05 PM
I always figured that there was a much better chance of Kyle returning than Gerald, and I am glad that it has worked out that way.

I think he's going to have a senior year that he will remember the rest of his life, so I am very glad for him and for Duke basketball.

I just hope that we don't have any potential recruits expecting to wear #12...

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-19-2010, 10:34 PM

I'm with you on this point. The big game's going to be in Houston. Ken Dennard will oversee the local arrangements.

basket1544
04-19-2010, 10:43 PM
I always figured that there was a much better chance of Kyle returning than Gerald, and I am glad that it has worked out that way.

I think he's going to have a senior year that he will remember the rest of his life, so I am very glad for him and for Duke basketball.

Any idea what number Kyrie is going to wear? Just wanting to put together my list now that I know who's going to be playing!
Thank you Kyle! You made my night... my week... my off season!

FireOgilvie
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Any idea what number Kyrie is going to wear? Just wanting to put together my list now that I know who's going to be playing!

#1. First player under K to wear that I believe.

NashvilleDevil
04-19-2010, 10:45 PM

#1 will be Kyrie

coldriver10
04-19-2010, 10:46 PM
I was ECSTATIC when I heard this news! I think we have a great chance to have a truly amazing team next year.

Having said all that, it is WAY premature to start even thinking of Houston. Everyone knows that anything can happen in a season (and especially in a tournament). I just hope that Kyle and the rest of the team stay healthy and able to compete to the best of their abilities.

Tappan Zee Devil
04-19-2010, 10:47 PM

I think that I read that he will wear 1, which is quite a development, since I have also heard that K didn't allow that up to now.

Big Pappa
04-19-2010, 10:47 PM
#1 will be Kyrie

Yeah Kyrie will be wearing #1 and I'm not sure why Kyle would wear anything other than #12.

j(ay)mike
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Wow, this is COMPLETELY AWESOME. I can't wait for next year, can I just sleep or be frozen until then?

LMAO! I love this line. Kinda feeling this way too, but I also want to enjoy this euphoria through the whole offseason, and the offseason mags, and the offseason predictions.

Kyle...I can't believe you did it. Thanks for one more year!!!

Big Pappa
04-19-2010, 10:48 PM
Sorry I misread and thought you asked about Kyle's number. Disregard.

jdj4duke
04-19-2010, 10:51 PM
Kyle loves Duke, his coaches and his teammates a whole helluva lot.

There is one moment in the UNC game at Cameron that shows it. Watch the replays of the last two points in the game, when Nolan throws an oop to Plumlee. You will see that Kyle throws his arms out, his head back and is in basketball bliss. It just looks like pure unadulterated joy and excitement at being there and on the floor with teammates performing at such a high level. It is one of my favorite images of last season.

kyriecrazy2013
04-19-2010, 10:55 PM

Well probably not much. Brown (the coach for the Bobcats) has historically (it the most literal sense of that word, 9th NBA team) not played rookies very much. I doubt that had anything to do with it because they have much different styles of playing also.

DevilHorns
04-19-2010, 10:59 PM

None. Though I am sure Gerald at times has wondered what could have been if he stayed one more year.

Kyle's situation is completely different. G was a high guaranteed pick last year in a weak draft (he got picked before any of the Heels did, just a little tidbit). This year there are a lot of underclassmen making the jump and I think Kyle simply weighed his options for a late 1st round pick vs a potential lottery next year.

camion
04-19-2010, 10:59 PM
If Kyle had decided to enter the draft I would have sent many thanks along with him and wishes for a great professional career. Now that will be delayed until 2011. I do think, as others have mentioned, that Kyle will add something to next year's team that is more important than his basketball skills. That is senior leadership. Kyle is a warrior and I think he can show the way to the new players.

As far as as another championship next year is concerned, a championship is a gift of the gods. We have as good a chance as anyone and I will cheer hard, but I will never expect it against the field. Let's enjoy the journey. It should be fun.

Go Duke!!

HowBoutDemDevils
04-19-2010, 11:07 PM
With Kyrie wearing No.1 and Nolan wearing No.2 as our starting backcourt I expect a ton of "1-2" punch references and the like ;)

jdj4duke
04-19-2010, 11:13 PM
Not that he wouldn't have anyway, but now Kyle will graduate on-time and contribute to an important measure of Duke scholastic and athletic excellence!

SmartDevil
04-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Once again Kyle has made us proud of him, this time for his good decision.

WiJoe
04-19-2010, 11:27 PM
There is one moment in the UNC game at Cameron that shows it. Watch the replays of the last two points in the game, when Nolan throws an oop to Plumlee. You will see that Kyle throws his arms out, his head back and is in basketball bliss. It just looks like pure unadulterated joy and excitement at being there and on the floor with teammates performing at such a high level. It is one of my favorite images of last season.

Just watched that play and Kyle's reaction a short time ago. Good times!

jdj4duke
04-19-2010, 11:39 PM

IC is the graveyard of civilization. As I've said before- visiting there is like volunteering for food poisoning.

Edouble
04-19-2010, 11:51 PM
Welcome back, Kyle!

He didn't go anywhere... :confused:

So excited to have Kyle for his senior year. I think next season is gonna be a really enjoyable ride. Great, great news!!!

DukeDevil
04-19-2010, 11:52 PM
I really needed some good news today...it's been rough.

I see opposing players coming out next season...talking to their coaches..."he's not human he's like a piece of iron"

Lulu
04-19-2010, 11:57 PM
wow, just retire his jersey now. I admit this was a tad more surprising than expected.

Greg_Newton
04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I was just thinking of how the two most disappointing Duke-days of the past year have officially been made right:

1) When G declared last year, I was pretty sad. And I admit, I may have loved him a little less for it even though I completely understood his decision. However, we won a championship the following year and THEN he helped convince Kyle to stay for his senior year, giving us one of the most talented rosters we've ever fielded? I'm officially back in love. I just wish he could have been part of the championship team.

2) I'm still not over the slap-in-the-face commitment of He Who Must Not Be Named. However, when you step back and look at it... say you've got Duke without Singler and UNC without Barnes. Both programs are trying to land their "recruit" for one year. Both get their guys. Who would you rather have, a senior (and familiar with the system/teammates) Singler, or a freshman Barnes?

Really, we scored a bigger recruit tonight than UNC did on Skypegate 2009. It doesn't feel like it, but that's really what it is.

Life is good for the Blue Devils right now!

CrazieDUMB
04-19-2010, 11:58 PM
Oh Kyle, you magnificent man! I can't get over how awesome this is!!!

Thank you for making the good decision, to come back. You get a great spot in next year's draft, and at the same time you have a chance to go back to the NC with NS and KI.

The next Christian Laettner??? Hmmmmm......

Relics
04-20-2010, 12:01 AM

Bliss.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-20-2010, 12:15 AM
Look of a CHAMPION

Big Pappa
04-20-2010, 12:25 AM
Bliss.

Love it.

gep
04-20-2010, 01:26 AM
1) When G declared last year, I was pretty sad. And I admit, I may have loved him a little less for it even though I completely understood his decision. However, we won a championship the following year and THEN he helped convince Kyle to stay for his senior year, giving us one of the most talented rosters we've ever fielded? I'm officially back in love. I just wish he could have been part of the championship team.

I apologize if I missed this (I really try to read "everything")... but did G actually help convince Kyle? Did he talk with Kyle? or is it just what "appears" to have happened with G?

Neals384
04-20-2010, 01:39 AM
OK, I'm officially hoping Duke will schedule a non-conf game out west somewhere...wherever it is Duke fans from Oregon will be fighting to get tix.

I was hoping it could be vs. Oregon in their new arena, but construction is delayed and it won't open until January...too bad, it would have been fun to see Kyle play against his brother.

Kewlswim
04-20-2010, 01:56 AM

Hi,

Maybe playing with Mr. Curry this year was so awesome he wanted to do it in a game that counted next year?

GO DUKE!

RockLobster
04-20-2010, 02:02 AM

In other news, fighting continues in the Middle East.

Anyway, great news. If Singler had left, I think we would have been awfully thin at the 3 spot...the only guys we'd have available for that spot would be Felix and Hairston, both rookies.

I know that people were pretty high on us even with the possibility of Singler leaving, but in reality, we would not have had a proven wing player without him.

But, with him back, our depth chart looks like this:

1. Irving.............Thornton
2. Smith.............Dawkins/Curry
3. Singler............Felix
4. Mason/Miles.....Hairston
5. Mason/Miles.....Kelly

We're going to be loaded at guard. The key, I think, will be Miles' progression...he needs to improve his inside game in a hurry if we're going to be the top-level rebounding team we were last season. Miles hit some impressive shots this year, but really wasn't a great defender.

If Miles continues to develop, and one of Felix, Hairston, or Kelly can make significant contributions, we should be fine.

Big Pappa
04-20-2010, 02:02 AM
According to GoDuke.com:

Singler and head coach Mike Krzyzewski will address the media on Tuesday, April 20 in the media room of Cameron Indoor Stadium. The press conference will begin at 10:30 a.m. eastern and will be streamed live exclusively on GoDuke.com.

Greg_Newton
04-20-2010, 02:10 AM
I apologize if I missed this (I really try to read "everything")... but did G actually help convince Kyle? Did he talk with Kyle? or is it just what "appears" to have happened with G?

Several reliable sources - one of which, I believe, was airowe of this board - have confirmed this, actually. Pretty nice to hear, huh?

Even though he made his decision and is in a very blessed position in life, I can't help but feel a little bad for G. You get the feeling that he did the rational thing instead of doing what he really wanted to do, and he may regret it for a long time given how things turned out. Great kid either way.

Big Pappa
04-20-2010, 02:15 AM
Several reliable sources - one of which, I believe, was airowe of this board - have confirmed this, actually. Pretty nice to hear, huh?

Even though he made his decision and is in a very blessed position in life, I can't help but feel a little bad for G. You get the feeling that he did the rational thing instead of doing what he really wanted to do, and he may regret it for a long time given how things turned out. Great kid either way.

That is a very cool story but even if G is feeling bad, his situation was a little different from Kyle's. Hendo was basically assured of being a lotto pick (ended up going 12th to the Bobcats) whereas Kyle was thought to be a late 1st round and possibly an early second round pick.

Also, if G would have come out in this draft after his senior year, with the incredible flood of people declaring early, there is a very good chance that he would not have been a lottery pick. I'm sure he wishes he could have been a part of the ship but his 2 mil a year salary is surely a comfort.

ElSid
04-20-2010, 02:17 AM
Someone linked to "Inside Carolina" and I made the mistake of reading the responses to this news. It would be funny if it weren't so sad...the amount of delusion and frothy hatred going on over there. The most common themes:
Singler's appearance...really white, kinda goofy. So what. Duke didn't earn this year's title because...they didn't have to play teams that lost to other teams with really low seeds. And, Coach K will somehow be responsible if Singler gets hurt this year. People basically rooting for Singler to get hurt so they can feel smart about saying how stupid a decision this was. People saying that Zeller, Henson, and the Wears are clearly better than Singler, Plumlees, Hairston, Kelly. Bold smack talk for a near miss on the NIT championship. People, only now, saying how awesomely fantastic Scheyer was and the fact that he's now gone means that Duke can't possibly win...especially with a freshman like kyrie irving. Ha.
Ugh. I guess that's part of the "charm" of the rivalry.
I think Duke has a clear edge over Carolina next year. Hoping to complete a sweep. However, I don't think anything, literally anything in the world other than some Duke player going to the NBA and outshining Michael Jordan's legacy, would make the fans on that board acknowledge anything positive about Duke's program, ever. and even if that did happen, that player would've probably gotten all the calls.
I guess I don't get it. I don't hate anything so much as to be completely blind. I hope Singler drops 30 on carolina every time next season though. I might stop back on the Inside Carolina forum to see what people say. Probably nothing intelligent.

hedevil
04-20-2010, 02:40 AM
I'm soooo excited to have Kyle coming back. His leadership, experience, and toughness are irreplacable.

There must be so many disappointed fans across the country right now. "Those damn devils. I hate them. This isn't fair! They need to give someone else a chance". Boo Hoo

amazinballer323
04-20-2010, 02:48 AM
He locked up on Butler and Heyward and did well on LaceDarius.

HB will get the same treatment twice next year!

Cameron
04-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Words can't describe how I feel.

Thank you, Kyle, for "being you."

Regardless of whether we win it all or not next season, it is going to be one hell of a ride.

An acquaintance of mine saw me walking today in my Duke "Let it Reign" shirt and my white Duke game shorts that won us the national championship by being worn from the ACC tourney on, and started to talk about the game a little bit. He said, "You know, I haven't minded watching Duke the past few years, until they beat Butler and won another national championship. Now I hate them."

When I told him I was there to see Hayward's shot fall off the rim and K claim his fourth prize, he said, "F---- Duke," with a laugh (although, I think he was more than serious).

This is Duke. Hated, but never ignored.

God I love this team.

LSanders
04-20-2010, 03:11 AM

OMG!!! I would have bet the farm he was declaring.

And, honestly, what better cherry to put on top of this incredible Singlar sundae than witnessing another IC meltdown!! :p

I mean, think about it. We get a new Laettner in Kyle and a new Grant in Nolan. Meanwhile, the poo-blue faithful get to watch Ed Davis pack his bags and LD II unpack his. Given all that, a few swan dives off the Dean Dome is to be expected.

Wow! Who would have thought that DBAP was actually the Field of Dreams? ("Is this Heaven?" "No. It's Cameron Indoor Stadium." "Funny ... I could have sworn it was Heaven." "Is there a Heaven?" "Oh, yeah! It's the place Back-to-Back championships come true!")

Kyle ... I was behind you regardless of what you decided ... But, DUDE!!!!!!!!!

licc85
04-20-2010, 03:40 AM
People basically rooting for Singler to get hurt so they can feel smart about saying how stupid a decision this was.

same thing from all the UK fans that I live amongst . . they are all like, I hope he tears his ACL . . . I can't believe people would actually wish that on anybody. Duke hate is really something else

bjornolf
04-20-2010, 06:18 AM
Thank you Kyle! Wow, what a good problem K's gonna have next year, trying to spread the minutes among all the talent. Is there any news on Carrick Felix? That could REALLY make his job hard, in a good way. ;)

jdj4duke
04-20-2010, 07:15 AM
Bliss.

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!
Thanks!

DevilWearsPrada
04-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Kyle is a student athlete at Duke. I remember when leaving school early, wasn't an option. Everyone graduated. Great decision Kyle. You are what a Duke Student Athlete is all about!!!! Go Duke!! Go Kyle!!!

4decadedukie
04-20-2010, 07:48 AM
Overall, this is WONDERFUL news for Duke, for Kyle, and for intercollegiate basketball. I am thrilled, and I applaud his decision for reasons the extend beyond hoops (for example: Kyle Singler, BA, Duke University, Class of 2011).

TruBlu
04-20-2010, 08:00 AM
What great news to wake up to! I was prepared to be totally thankful for three years of Kyle in a Duke uniform, then following his pro career. Having four years of this WARRIOR in CIS is truly wonderful!

GTHC!

DukieBoy
04-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Just glanced at IC this morning. Tons of laughs

All proclaim that Barnes is going to tear up Singler and that will cause Singler to regret his decision.

Silly tar holes.

YourLandlord
04-20-2010, 08:21 AM
Yes, this was just so awesome.

moonpie23
04-20-2010, 09:11 AM
i am glad that Kyle is back, and i feel pretty good that he and his family made the right decision for the right reasons...

welcome back mister singler !! we're all looking forward to an exciting year ! (again!)

whereinthehellami
04-20-2010, 09:14 AM
Great news! Kyle has probably been my favorite player to watch at Duke. He plays the game how I always wanted to play. High basketball IQ, skilled, versatile, and with an old school edge. I love that all the new guys will get exposed to his warrior mentality.

Indoor66
04-20-2010, 09:42 AM
I am happy that Kyle will be back. I like his even demeanor on the court - never too high, never too low. That calmness is a strong attribute of leadership. He accepts events and moves on to continue to play the game, not dwell on what might have been. That rubs off on teammates and makes the team better. He is a leader.

gofurman
04-20-2010, 09:51 AM
This is wonderful news and I am glad Kyle appreciates that a senior season is something to cherish and look forward to.

By the way does this count as a recruiting victory?

way better than a recruiting victory - a FF MOP is worth more than any recruit not named LeBron

trinity92
04-20-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi,

I am glad Kyle has decided to come back--these are the best years of one's life. If he was to get injured can the University buy an insurance policy or is that against the rules?

GO DUKE!

I just got a text from a buddy saying "Kyle Stays." My immediate response: "No fu***** way." In my mind he was gone. This is amazing news.

However-- I always hear "these are the best years of your life, why leave?" Kyle's life at Duke is nothing like ours was. His schedule doesn't allow for kegs every night, although come to think of it, I don't think Duke has kegs every night like when I was there. Neither can he jump to the quarry on a whim or bail on practice like we'd skip a class b/c it was just so nice on the quad. I'm sure Kyle's life is already like being in the real world with a 12 hour work day every day.

I'm not saying he shouldn't stay. Lord, I am ecstatic at his decision. I just don't think his college life is anything like ours was.

flyingdutchdevil
04-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I just got a text from a buddy saying "Kyle Stays." My immediate response: "No fu***** way." In my mind he was gone. This is amazing news.

However-- I always hear "these are the best years of your life, why leave?" Kyle's life at Duke is nothing like ours was. His schedule doesn't allow for kegs every night, although come to think of it, I don't think Duke has kegs every night like when I was there. Neither can he jump to the quarry on a whim or bail on practice like we'd skip a class b/c it was just so nice on the quad. I'm sure Kyle's life is already like being in the real world with a 12 hour work day every day.

I'm not saying he shouldn't stay. Lord, I am ecstatic at his decision. I just don't think his college life is anything like ours was.

Nice posts. When I was at Duke a few years back, kegs weren't allowed on campus. Pretty sure nothing's changed.

And I agree, there lives aren't 'normal' college lives. Sure, I'd see them at parties. Sure, they play video games like the rest of us. Sure, they went to classes. But you're right - they're experience is very different indeed (although I wouldn't want them to experience some of the nights I had. Naty light is the devil!)

ReformedAggie
04-20-2010, 10:13 AM
Thank you Kyle. TYVM.

NSDukeFan
04-20-2010, 10:23 AM
Wow. Last fall after watching a few episodes of the new show "Flash Forward", I put a silly post in one of the threads about "in my flash forward" it was April 29th, I was watching ESPN and Kyle Singler was announcing that he was coming back for his Senior Year for a chance to win back to back National Titles...

Little did I know huh?

What were the chances last fall that Duke would win the National Title AND Singler would come back???

Way to go Kyle! I cannot wait to see you get even better next year!!!!!
Sorry, that scenario could never happen in real life. :D

This is fabulous news for us. Every other coach in the country is groaning - Duke gets all the breaks. Should be a good offseason!
I think it was Hayward that meant to come back, but the refs blew it and called it in Duke's favor.

I don't know if having Kyrie factored much into his decision as he played with a pretty darn good point guard (second team all-american) this year.
I do agree very much with two of your other points regarding defense and chemistry. I think as talented as the team would have been without Kyle, having him back helps the team's defense a ton. He and Nolan have both proven to be very good perimeter defenders, so this is less of a concern for next year. As K often has said, each team is different and you never know how the chemistry will work out. Having two senior leaders back should also help in this regard, I would expect as well. This team certainly is very different than last year's championship squad, but with this great news, the team will still have some senior leadership to go with the young talent.

I agree that Kyle will likely never regret this decision (he wouldn't have regretted it either way, IMO) and will end his Duke career as a legend with his jersey retired. The bad news is for those recruits looking for #12, this should be the last year it is worn at Duke.

Anyway, great news. If Singler had left, I think we would have been awfully thin at the 3 spot...the only guys we'd have available for that spot would be Felix and Hairston, both rookies.

I know that people were pretty high on us even with the possibility of Singler leaving, but in reality, we would not have had a proven wing player without him.

But, with him back, our depth chart looks like this:

1. Irving.............Thornton
2. Smith.............Dawkins/Curry
3. Singler............Felix
4. Mason/Miles.....Hairston
5. Mason/Miles.....Kelly

We're going to be loaded at guard. The key, I think, will be Miles' progression...he needs to improve his inside game in a hurry if we're going to be the top-level rebounding team we were last season. Miles hit some impressive shots this year, but really wasn't a great defender.

If Miles continues to develop, and one of Felix, Hairston, or Kelly can make significant contributions, we should be fine.

Having Singler back helps a ton, but in no way, after a season where we had 4 players for the 1-3 positions, did I feel we would have been that thin at the 3. I would have expected (and still expect) to see quite a few 3 guard line-ups. I also have a tough time believing that Curry is going to see the minutes of someone who is only 3rd string at one position. I expect he may be the sixth man this year. With Kyle back, if nobody develops, this team will be fine. If players improve over the summer, the 2010-11 team certainly has the potential to be something special, even though there is an excellent chance they won't have the success of this year's squad.

All in all, makes for a very enjoyable off-season as the team just got the best possible player returning to the team. This is better than any potential recruit. I am very excited to see how coach K shapes this team and as always, am looking forward to seeing how the guys improve over the off-season.

UrinalCake
04-20-2010, 10:29 AM
Someone linked to "Inside Carolina" and I made the mistake of reading the responses to this news...

I perused some of the comments on the ESPN article and it's more of the same. People are saying that Duke can't repeat because they won't have Zoubek tearing it up on the boards. These are the same people who spent all season saying that Zoubek sucks and was worthless. Now he's irreplaceable. It must be hard work searching so hard for ways to hate.

I suspect that Duke hatred will reach a new stratosphere this season when we're actually considered the favorites (or among the favorites). We actually managed to kind of fly under the radar for most of 2009-2010.

I remember when Hansbrough announced he was returning for his senior year (which wasn't really a surprise since he had been saying that he would all along)... I was disappointed that we'd have to face him again, but I certainly didn't hope for him to get injured.

roywhite
04-20-2010, 10:36 AM
What's the chance we get a game in Oregon (vs Univ. of Oregon or Oregon State?) for Kyle's senior season? Brother EJ plays for the Ducks, so maybe the Singler family would prefer another matchup?

BlueDevilBaby
04-20-2010, 11:14 AM
Oh, happy day, oh happy daaaay! Thanks, Kyle!

JonPessah
04-20-2010, 01:28 PM
Thought you all might enjoy reading an email from one of your fellow Duke fans in China, who talks about Kyle Singler and watching Duke win the title at a coffee house in Beijing with Duke friends and amused Chinese observers. http://trueslant.com/jonpessah/2010/04/20/view-from-beijing-dukes-title-was-huge-in-any-language/

gus
04-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Repeat champs

Nothing like keeping expectations reasonable. Jeez. We'll be very good next year, but chances are Duke will NOT repeat.

Big Pappa
04-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Nothing like keeping expectations reasonable. Jeez. We'll be very good next year, but chances are Duke will NOT repeat.

I'm not sure why you would say this. I'm all for being realistic but there is no reason not to think that we have a good chance to repeat.

dw0827
04-20-2010, 01:42 PM
I perused some of the comments on the ESPN article and it's more of the same. People are saying that Duke can't repeat because they won't have Zoubek tearing it up on the boards. These are the same people who spent all season saying that Zoubek sucks and was worthless. Now he's irreplaceable. It must be hard work searching so hard for ways to hate.

Excuse, me but Duke hatred? Please!

I can't tell you how many times in the past few years when I've read posters on this very board express the very same opinions regarding Zoubek . . . in very nearly the same language.

Sometimes I think we enjoy being hated. So much so that we proudly wear it as a badge. But we also complain about it like whiny little children. I'm confused.

CrazieDUMB
04-20-2010, 01:49 PM

I think the tone of that comment is a little harsh, especially considering we have probably the best chance to repeat of any team out there. To be fair to gus though, it's never going to be a safe bet to take one team over the entire field. That said, I'm extremely excited.

NSDukeFan
04-20-2010, 01:52 PM

I'm not sure why you would say this. I'm all for being realistic but there is no reason not to think that we have a good chance to repeat.

I agree with both of you. We have as good a chance to win next year as anyone, which is what you hope for going into a season and into the tournament. But as Gus says, there is a much better chance that Duke will not win the tournament. I wonder if Vegas would have the odds at about a 15% chance for Duke winning, 80% not? Would Mich St. be also at 15% chance of winning? This team may be a favorite for next year, but would definitely not be favored vs. the field, especially since the season is still months away from starting.
Edit: I guess my title should be made up stats, stats, and more made up stats, as I pulled the odds out of the air and don't know what they would be exactly.

jdj4duke
04-20-2010, 01:53 PM
we have probably the best chance to repeat of any team out there.

We are the only team with a chance to repeat. And I, like you, am not only excited but like our chances to win two NC's in a row.

whereinthehellami
04-20-2010, 01:55 PM
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4141/singler.jpg

Some things that caught my eye from looking at Kyle's stats.

A/T ratio has improved every year as has his 3 pt %.

PF per game has decreased every year.

Rebounding, steals, and blocks decreased from last year, no doubht due to his move to the perimeter.

Fg% has decreased each year. This is something that Kyle can improve upon next year for sure.

Jeff Frosh
04-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Favorites: Duke and Michigan St.: 8 to 1

Next favorites are several other teams, including Kansas, Syracuse, UNC (?): 20 to 1

Duvall
04-20-2010, 01:57 PM

It's worth noting that Duke will be seeking to do something that hasn't been done in three decades - repeat as champion while replacing multiple starters.

Winning a championship is always hard, and the odds against anyone doing it, even with the best team. And we don't know if Duke will have the best team.

rotogod00
04-20-2010, 02:02 PM
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/4141/singler.jpg

Some things that caught my eye from looking at Kyle's stats.

A/T ratio has improved every year as has his 3 pt %.

PF per game has decreased every year.

Rebounding, steals, and blocks decreased from last year, no doubht due to his move to the perimeter.

Fg% has decreased each year. This is something that Kyle can improve upon next year for sure.

combo indicates he could use work on his midrange game. in fact, here are his 2-pt FG%:
'07-'08: 54.5%
'08-'09: 47.6%
'09-'10: 42.4%

coldriver10
04-20-2010, 02:19 PM
Singler's appearance...really white, kinda goofy.
I've heard this a lot. Am I the only girl that thinks Singler's actually kinda cute?

Well, besides his girlfriend, who I'm guessing finds him attractive.

RoyalBlue08
04-20-2010, 02:21 PM
Favorites: Duke and Michigan St.: 8 to 1

Next favorites are several other teams, including Kansas, Syracuse, UNC (?): 20 to 1

If I could get to Vegas, I would take 8-1 right now on Duke. I would put the actual odds at something around 4-1 (which is an overwhelming favorite at this time of year I realize). If Vegas is putting us at the same odds at MSU, I really don't think they understand how talented we are going to be next season.

ElSid
04-20-2010, 02:28 PM
I've heard this a lot. Am I the only girl that thinks Singler's actually kinda cute?

i don't think he's any weirder looking than a lot of people in college basketball...which is kind of a backhanded compliment, i guess. something about the chemistry of growing that tall makes weird things happen to a lot of guys' faces. enough sweeping generalizations.

i wasn't personally commenting on his appearance as much as stating that it's a rich topic for "comedy" on the carolina message board. really childish stuff. really really want singler to dominate carolina next year.

jdj4duke
04-20-2010, 02:36 PM

My wife thinks Kyle is very cute and is delighted he is coming back. And my 18 year old daughter thinks Jon Scheyer is "freakin' hot".

gus
04-20-2010, 03:24 PM

I say that because the odds are the odds. I'm responding to posts that seem to think Singler's return makes another championship certain. It does not. Duke will not have a better than 50% chance of winning it all.

Scheyer will be hard to replace, and I think people underestimate the impact on defense Thomas's departure will have. Next year's team has a lot of question marks. True, there will be a lot of individual talent and people at each position. But to act like we are now favored over the field is naive. Just ask a Kentucky fan. Or a Duke fan from 1999. or 2004. Do you remember how excited people were that Shelden and JJ were returning? This year was refreshing because so many more fans were enjoying the ride instead of holding the team to unreasonable expectations.

moonpie23
04-20-2010, 03:51 PM
My wife thinks Kyle is very cute and is delighted he is coming back. And my 18 year old daughter thinks Jon Scheyer is "freakin' hot".

my wife drops everything to watch when JJ Redick is in the game..... :confused:

ZJDUBYA
04-20-2010, 05:56 PM
This has had a smile on face all day. This was one of the main reasons I went from liking Duke as little kid to loving them as I was growing up. I know we have had our share of William Avery's, Josh McRoberts, and Corey Maggette's, but to me this is big part of what Duke basketball is all about. We have student athletes, not a bunch of one and done guys looking to jump as soon as they can. A big reason I fell in love with Duke basketball was getting to watch Danny Ferry, Christian Laettner, Grant Hill, Bobby Hurley play for four years. That is just naming a few. I cannot wait for next year. Kyle lets do it again baby.

77devil
04-20-2010, 07:27 PM
Thought you all might enjoy reading an email from one of your fellow Duke fans in China, who talks about Kyle Singler and watching Duke win the title at a coffee house in Beijing with Duke friends and amused Chinese observers. http://trueslant.com/jonpessah/2010/04/20/view-from-beijing-dukes-title-was-huge-in-any-language/[/URL]

Welcome back Jon. So the game has passed coach K by. How is that prediction working out for you? Did you enjoy that big plate of crow? Did you enjoy rooting for West Virginia?

Regarding your other bold prediction that coach K leaves before the the tip off in London in 2012, care to take a bet? Name the amount and send me a private message.

Rudy
04-20-2010, 07:51 PM
I've always said that the intangible factor in the decision to go early or stay is how much a top-talent player enjoys and values his college experience. I'm glad Kyle doesn't want to leave, both for my own sake in watching him play and for him so he can prolong the experience. I'm especially impressed that he's staying despite his already having reached the pinnacle of achievement in college basketball.

Buckeye Devil
04-20-2010, 07:58 PM
I say that because the odds are the odds. I'm responding to posts that seem to think Singler's return makes another championship certain. It does not. Duke will not have a better than 50% chance of winning it all.

Scheyer will be hard to replace, and I think people underestimate the impact on defense Thomas's departure will have. Next year's team has a lot of question marks. True, there will be a lot of individual talent and people at each position. But to act like we are now favored over the field is naive. Just ask a Kentucky fan. Or a Duke fan from 1999. or 2004. Do you remember how excited people were that Shelden and JJ were returning? This year was refreshing because so many more fans were enjoying the ride instead of holding the team to unreasonable expectations.

Duke won this year not because they had the best players but because they had the players that played best as a team. That may or may not be the case next year.

On paper, Duke looks loaded and it looks like there is more talent for next year than there was for this year. Kyle's return certainly gives Duke a better chance to repeat than if he did not return but it guarantees nothing.

UK may have had the best players but they were far from the best team. But then Calipari is no K.

Big Pappa
04-20-2010, 08:11 PM
Duke won this year not because they had the best players but because they had the players that played best as a team. That may or may not be the case next year.
On paper, Duke looks loaded and it looks like there is more talent for next year than there was for this year. Kyle's return certainly gives Duke a better chance to repeat than if he did not return but it guarantees nothing.

UK may have had the best players but they were far from the best team. But then Calipari is no K.

The great thing is that with Coach K we don't have to worry about effort from our guys. We will also NEVER get out-coached, especially coming out of half-time.

There is no doubt we have questions about where people will play, what our style of play will be, and how everything will be run but we know one thing: We have the best Coach in America.

jipops
04-20-2010, 08:16 PM
my wife drops everything to watch when JJ Redick is in the game..... :confused:

Yeah, that is pretty much the only time there is the slightest chance that my wife will pay attention to an NBA game.

banneheim
04-20-2010, 08:22 PM
Is it possible that Singler wanted to be part of Coach K passing the General in total wins? How many wins does K need to pass the General?

VaDukie
04-20-2010, 08:38 PM
Is it possible that Singler wanted to be part of Coach K passing the General in total wins? How many wins does K need to pass the General?

I had the same thought. He needs 35 wins - a tall order but one that our greatest teams have achieved..

DukeGirl4ever
04-20-2010, 10:35 PM

Ah, my dilemma this year was who was going to be "my boy" on the team: Kyle or Jon? My best friend decided it should be Jon, so it stuck. Now Kyle can be my boy next year. :p
Is it wrong for a married mother to think these things? HAHA! (And I'm not ancient....)

I think I'd get along well with your wife and daughter, jdj4...

And moonpie, JJ Redick joins my LONG list of Duke men I've wanted to marry.

coldriver10
04-20-2010, 11:28 PM
Ah, my dilemma this year was who was going to be "my boy" on the team: Kyle or Jon? My best friend decided it should be Jon, so it stuck. Now Kyle can be my boy next year. :p
Is it wrong for a married mother to think these things? HAHA! (And I'm not ancient....)

I think I'd get along well with your wife and daughter, jdj4...

And moonpie, JJ Redick joins my LONG list of Duke men I've wanted to marry.
Scheyer's been a favorite of many of my friends, and I do think he's cute and shy (which is also cute). I love Lance's personality, and he's pretty attractive, too. JJ is hot but not my type.

My boy for next year? I'll probably go with Singler or Seth Curry.

MChambers
06-24-2010, 07:13 PM
Nice article here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/12807/kyle-singler-still-seems-certain

Verga3
06-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Nice article here:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/12807/kyle-singler-still-seems-certain

Thanks for this as the NBA Draft begins!

Bottom line: Kyle LOVES Duke.

Newton_14
06-24-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for this as the NBA Draft begins!

Bottom line: Kyle LOVES Duke.

Kyle is a 'throw-back" kid and I for one am glad of it. I am sure if you ask any former 4 year kid, he would tell you those 4 years go by in the blink of an eye and one should cherish every minute of it.

There was a time when kids wanted to leave a legacy in college before moving on to the next phase in life. In this day and age we live in, that has been pushed out of their minds with everybody in the kid's ear telling them to get to the NBA as fast as humanly possible and make those millions son!

Like Tim Duncan, Shane Battier, and many more, Kyle will one day look back (while counting his many millions in the bank) and will cherish those college days and be glad he made the decision to stay and enjoy all the rewards that came with it.

weezie
06-24-2010, 09:05 PM
Like....Shane Battier, and many more, Kyle will one day look back (while counting his many millions in the bank) and will cherish those college days and be glad he made the decision to stay and enjoy all the rewards that came with it.

Singler for VP on the Deep Blue ticket.