PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs Kentucky

Jarhead
05-22-2007, 12:35 PM
Mark it on your calendar. The definitive challenge that will settle things once and for all. It will last all day Oct. 6 & 7 on Fayetteville Street in Raleigh, NC.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/576601.html

BBQ from Eastern and Western North Carolina will be featured. May the best 'Cue win... which will be Eastern style, don't ya think?

killerleft
05-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Since I love both kinds in lots of persuasions I can't lose. Thanks for posting, can't wait. I haven't tried it, but S.C. mustard-based even sounds interesting.

Son of Jarhead
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
Mark it on your calendar. The definitive challenge that will settle things once and for all. It will last all day Oct. 6 & 7 on Fayetteville Street in Raleigh, NC.

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/576601.html

BBQ from Eastern and Western North Carolina will be featured. May the best 'Cue win... which will be Eastern style, don't ya think?

Sounds delicious! It would be interesting to try them both side-by-side to see which I like best. Of course, I'm an Eastern NC BBQ fan, but a taste test would put any doubts to rest for my tastebuds.

That is the same weekend as the home football game with Wake... maybe we can head over to Raleigh after the game.

I'm Hungry now...

muggee
05-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Having married a Lexington girl, there's only one way for me to go when it comes to BBQ.

Anyone have some barbeque slaw?

-muggee.

-jk
05-23-2007, 10:35 AM
The best BBQ in the Triangle was always at Turnage's. Long picnic tables, dinner served family style: fabulous hushpuppies, great brunswick stew, raw onion slices, and tons of BBQ (Eastern - as if they'd serve anything else) cooked on the open fire out back. And it was all you could eat. They had a Coke cooler on the side where you picked your own drink. It was a Durham institution.

Our folks used to take us there when we were kids - probably once or twice a month. I loved watching them cut up the pig in the kitchen. They also took the players there now and again, back when you were allowed to do that sort of thing and the players didn't pay quite such close attention to their diet (and they could eat!).

And it was apparently one of the first integrated restaurants (http://melissawarren.com/Jim.pdf) in Durham, as well.

-jk

Olympic Fan
05-23-2007, 10:56 AM
Although I was born and raised in Eastern North Carolina, I much prefer the Lexington style to the Wilson style ....

It's mostly a matter of texture. Western NC 'Que is normally served chunkier -- my least favorite form of barbeque is the finely chopped pork that you usually get in the East.

In this area, my favorite -- by far -- is Bullock's sliced barbeque in a very thin, sweet sauce.

Can I add one other thing, especially about this header ... we've got to stand up and stop allowing people from Kentucky and Texas to call what they do to meat "barbeque". It's not -- only the Carolina method of slow-cooked pork can be real barbeque.

I didn't realize this until I saw a documentary on the official Texas chili cookoff. The head of the organization made it clear that only stew cooked in the style that was invented in Texas could be called "chili" and that any other style (like with beans) was not real chili.

By that reasoning, we must insist that only meat cooked in the Carolina style be labeled barbeque, since that's where it originated. Those people from Kentucky or Texas can do anything they want with their meat ... it's just not barbeque.

Highlander
05-23-2007, 11:22 AM
My father always said:

"Barbecue to a Southerner is like Wine to a Californian. If you drive more than 10 miles in any direction, you will get something slightly different, and the local population will always swear to you that their version is the best."

I'm a big fan of Gary's BBQ in China Grove, NC personally. Eastern style with some great red slaw to boot.

allenmurray
05-23-2007, 01:34 PM
Since I love both kinds in lots of persuasions I can't lose. Thanks for posting, can't wait. I haven't tried it, but S.C. mustard-based even sounds interesting.

no No NO NO! The South Carolinians must be stopped. I like Eastern NC Que. I can eat Westeren NC Que, even with the annoying sauce. Since my brother moved to Austin I've even begun to appreciate Briskit and will admit that it is in fact BBQ. I've only been to Kansas City once in my life, and while I was unimpressed, the ribs were good enough to be called BBQ. But anyone who ever puts mustard near the blessed pig does not deserve to dine thereof, it is an abominationn to the Lord.

killerleft
05-24-2007, 02:53 PM
LOL... I may agree with you if I ever try it. Hot dogs are pretty good with mustard, though.

A question to those along the US 70 "corridor" east of Raleigh. I'm going to Morehead on Friday. Is there a great BBQ place along the way? I like Wilber's, but would like to try something different. Like Smithfield's too, but have tried theirs. Thanks in advance.

skoob
05-24-2007, 05:40 PM
LOL... I may agree with you if I ever try it. Hot dogs are pretty good with mustard, though.

A question to those along the US 70 "corridor" east of Raleigh. I'm going to Morehead on Friday. Is there a great BBQ place along the way? I like Wilber's, but would like to try something different. Like Smithfield's too, but have tried theirs. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, hot dogs NEED mustard. I also give folks a hard time if they put ketchup on 'em.

As for BBQ, you might want to stop in Kinston on your way down to Morehead City. Several places to choose from, but I'd recommend King's.

killerleft
05-25-2007, 12:42 PM
King's it is. Unless the traffic makes it too hard to wait that long. Thanks!

Indoor66
05-25-2007, 12:51 PM
King's at the Durham Athletic Park?