PDA

View Full Version : MBB Banquet 2010

Jason W
04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Who's going? Its my first time, what should I expect?

DukeDevilDeb
04-18-2010, 08:32 PM
Who's going? Its my first time, what should I expect?

Are you going to the whole thing or just the presentations?

DevilWearsPrada
04-18-2010, 09:10 PM
The program will be awesome, with the National Championship. The dinner is always good, but the program and the videos and speeches are the Banquet. Dress is business attire, especially if you are on the floor for the dinner. Bring tissues, because the Senior speeches always bring tears. Awards will be given. The program will go to about 10pm. Banquet is always the close of the Basketball season... And generally the last time, the entire team is together. Makes me teary eyed thinking about it. See you on Thursday.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-18-2010, 09:24 PM
Dress upstairs for the program only is casual. I don't mean torn cutoffs and old T's casual, but newly purchased National Championship Tee shirts and nice shorts or jeans/slacks/etc are fine.

Raleighfan
04-18-2010, 09:42 PM
The program will be awesome, with the National Championship. The dinner is always good, but the program and the videos and speeches are the Banquet. Dress is business attire, especially if you are on the floor for the dinner. Bring tissues, because the Senior speeches always bring tears. Awards will be given. The program will go to about 10pm. Banquet is always the close of the Basketball season... And generally the last time, the entire team is together. Makes me teary eyed thinking about it. See you on Thursday.

Were you there the year Duhon was a senior? That banquet went on til past 11:30. Duhon was the one who needed the tissues....his speech went on forever and he kept sniffling after about every 3rd word.

The program also features a photo montage of each senior, which is accompanied by a carefully selected song. I remember Laettner's song was "Unforgettable", the Natalie/Nat King Cole version. Mrs. Coach K used to be in charge of this part of the banquet, but I believe Debbie has now assumed complete responsibility for it.

Just a thought...last year Jordan Davidson was honored as a senior and Coach K hinted at the possibility that he'd return to the team this season while in grad school, which he did. If he's honored again as a departing team member, surely he'll be the only player to date to claim the distinction of being honored at two BB banquets. Or have there been others?

roge054
04-19-2010, 09:42 AM
Great evening will be had by all. Coach is always at the top of his game at these affairs.

I failed to get tickets for the dinner does anyone know where a few extras
might be?

studdlee10
04-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Are the players available post-dinner for pictures etc? I'd love to get a picture with Zoubs.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Great evening will be had by all. Coach is always at the top of his game at these affairs.

I failed to get tickets for the dinner does anyone know where a few extras
might be?

There still seats available upstairs for the program only.

diveonthefloor
04-19-2010, 11:07 AM
They ought to cover this on goduke.com for premium members and stream it over the net. They could make a fair amount of money from out of towners.

-jk
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
Are the players available post-dinner for pictures etc? I'd love to get a picture with Zoubs.

In years past, this has been explicitly discouraged. But it sometimes seems to happen anyway.

-jk

weezie
04-19-2010, 02:55 PM
Looking forward to plenty of laughter and tears.
This is going to be a sweet one.....

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-19-2010, 04:12 PM
We've sat on the floor for dinner in the past, but have found that sitting upstairs just for the post dinner program is more pleasurable....unless you are included in their very innermost circle. It's much easier to see everything that's going on and since an announcement us usually made that this night is not for fans, but rather for the players and their families, approaching them is discouraged for this one event. Seems only fair that they be left alone for once. Might as well be upstairs in comfortable clothes.

The personal videos used to be spectacular, with goosebump-worthy theme music coordinated for each guy . Lately, though, they put together a sort of hodge podge of songs for each guy that sort of jerk you around and they haven't been very meaningful.....witnessed by how folks still remember the old ones, but can't really bring the later ones to mind. Danny Ferry's was the "Superman" theme with a crawl of movie-type graphics befitting. Laettners "Unforgettable" was amazing and moving. Johnny Dawkins' was "Johnny Be Good", etc.

The speeches do drone on pretty long....most guys saying the same things over and over again.....but give 'em a break, they aren't the national champions of speechmaking. The only ones I can remember as having a beginning, a middle and an end were Quin's (truly outstanding, by the way), and Grant's and Shane's.

No doubt the highlight of the night will be the unfurling of that fourth banner!

Love, Ima

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-19-2010, 05:09 PM
We've sat on the floor for dinner in the past, but have found that sitting upstairs just for the post dinner program is more pleasurable....unless you are included in their very innermost circle. It's much easier to see everything that's going on and since an announcement us usually made that this night is not for fans, but rather for the players and their families, approaching them is discouraged for this one event. Seems only fair that they be left alone for once. Might as well be upstairs in comfortable clothes.

The personal videos used to be spectacular, with goosebump-worthy theme music coordinated for each guy . Lately, though, they put together a sort of hodge podge of songs for each guy that sort of jerk you around and they haven't been very meaningful.....witnessed by how folks still remember the old ones, but can't really bring the later ones to mind. Danny Ferry's was the "Superman" theme with a crawl of movie-type graphics befitting. Laettners "Unforgettable" was amazing and moving. Johnny Dawkins' was "Johnny Be Good", etc.

The speeches do drone on pretty long....most guys saying the same things over and over again.....but give 'em a break, they aren't the national champions of speechmaking. The only ones I can remember as having a beginning, a middle and an end were Quin's (truly outstanding, by the way), and Grant's and Shane's.

No doubt the highlight of the night will be the unfurling of that fourth banner!

Love, Ima

What a grand description you've given, Ima. Your mention of some of the videos created for players a few years back is a tribute to Mickie K herself.

StDukie42
04-20-2010, 01:07 PM
So excited to go on Thursday. Almost went in 2001 when I was a student and always regretted not going. Would have loved to see Battier's speech.

For those of you that have been...is it first come first serve?
I know that the program starts at 8pm....

Will the place fill up? How early will the doors open.

So much thanks!

Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-20-2010, 04:27 PM
So excited to go on Thursday. Almost went in 2001 when I was a student and always regretted not going. Would have loved to see Battier's speech.

For those of you that have been...is it first come first serve?
I know that the program starts at 8pm....

Will the place fill up? How early will the doors open.

So much thanks!

Go Duke!

Tickets ($15/each) for reserved seats are required to attend the program. The doors open at 7:30P for those who are attending the program only. Parking and entry information was emailed earlier today to those who had purchased seats.

weezie
04-20-2010, 05:23 PM
And PS, the dinner is non-alcoholic. Not that I'm suggesting anything.... beforehand:cool:

fuse
04-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Will be my first time going as well, and got tickets on the floor for the family. What is the etiquette for the event- flip video cameras ok, but no flash photography? I've already told my kids no signs or autographs, expecting to be a low key observer.

thanks!

ricks68
04-21-2010, 02:35 AM
Looking forward to plenty of laughter and tears.
This is going to be a sweet one.....

Again? Are you gonna cry again? I mean, like I saw you cry when me met at one of the shirt stands on the street after The Game. But are you going to cry again?

O.K. I admit it. My wife was crying in the stands after the game,too. It was very emotional for just about everyone there---including me. The guys deserved it. We all deserved it. We are Duke.

ricks

weezie
04-21-2010, 08:56 AM
Yes, of course, I'm an Irish waterworks. But this time I'll probably just tear up and get a smile headache.:)

Which also reminds me....next spring, Backstreet Cafe for a Sunday Duke brunch?

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-21-2010, 11:34 AM
Yes, of course, I'm an Irish waterworks. But this time I'll probably just tear up and get a smile headache.:)

When that time next spring arrives, I plan to be there in person!

Battierfan01
04-21-2010, 04:05 PM
Does anyone know if the new National Championship banner will be displayed on Thursday night?

airowe
04-21-2010, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know if the new National Championship banner will be displayed on Thursday night?

A replica will be.

BattierD12
04-21-2010, 04:56 PM
I ordered my tickets last week while my friends did so only a couple of days ago, so our assigned seats will not be close to each other. Does anyone know from previous years' experience if there are some empty seats during the program so that we can sit together elsewhere? I'd rather be close to my friends with a worse view than alone with a better view.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-21-2010, 05:01 PM
I ordered my tickets last week while my friends did so only a couple of days ago, so our assigned seats will not be close to each other. Does anyone know from previous years' experience if there are some empty seats during the program so that we can sit together elsewhere? I'd rather be close to my friends with a worse view than alone with a better view.
There will be about >6000 empty seats in Cameron, so moving to "worse" seats won't be a problem.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-21-2010, 06:30 PM

I was told that the seats are assigned based on Iron Duke priority levels. You could move to any area that hasn't been colonized or inhabited.

ricks68
04-21-2010, 11:31 PM

Backstreet it is. We also have to include Devil in the Blue Dress, Devil Deac and others, of course.

Since I think you have already gone to Hugo's, that would definitely be my next choice.

Certainly better than Goode Company Hamburgers (really the name of their Tex-Mex place across the street from their BBQ place on Kirby) where I ran into Pres. Brodhead eating brunch during the Regionals.

ricks

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Backstreet it is. We also have to include Devil in the Blue Dress, Devil Deac and others, of course.

Since I think you have already gone to Hugo's, that would definitely be my next choice.

Certainly better than Goode Company Hamburgers (really the name of their Tex-Mex place across the street from their BBQ place on Kirby) where I ran into Pres. Brodhead eating brunch during the Regionals.

ricks
There's some work to be done over the next year to bring this all to pass, but I must say I do see a party forming up.........

diveonthefloor
04-22-2010, 11:10 AM
still no word on any video streaming of the banquet events?

House G
04-22-2010, 11:52 AM

ricks

Deal me in also. We just need to make sure we don't miss the tipoff at Reliant :):

duke=legacy
04-22-2010, 01:20 PM
I just bought a ticket and the shipping method says: will call.

Where do you pick up tickets to this event if it's on will call?

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I just bought a ticket and the shipping method says: will call.

Where do you pick up tickets to this event if it's on will call?

Following is information emailed to ticket purchasers:

Parking is available in the Basset Drive parking lot, the Science Drive parking lot, and the Card Gym parking lot. Handicapped parking will be available in the Whitford Drive parking lot (located between Koskinen Stadium and Jack Coombs Baseball Field.) We will have a golf cart running from Whitford to the doors of Cameron for those who need assistance.

The Banquet is located in Cameron Indoor Stadium. Doors will open for the Program at 7:30pm. The Program will begin at 8:00pm. Please enter through the Ticket Office Lobby. Check in and Will Call will be located in the Ticket Office lobby.

We mailed tickets to those who requested it and ordered before Friday, April 16th. Tickets hit the mail on Friday, April 16th, and should arrive in your mailbox this week. If for some reason your tickets do not arrive before you get here on Thursday we will still have your name on a list at Will Call, and will give you the same seat location as is on your tickets. All others should check in at Will Call that evening to receive their tickets.

Attire for the evening is Business. The Banquet should end around 10pm on Thursday evening.

The Nike Store located in Card Gym will be open for customers from 5:00pm – 11:00pm on Thursday evening, April 22nd.

The concession stands near section 14 will be open during the Program.

duke=legacy
04-22-2010, 01:26 PM
appreciate it.

WiJoe
04-22-2010, 03:55 PM
The Nike Store located in Card Gym [/I]

Does the Nike Store have items that are not on the Duke Stores web site?

anon
04-22-2010, 06:33 PM
This year's banquet program is really nice! Full color and nice design.

BD80
04-22-2010, 07:08 PM
Quincy Miller and Deuce Bello will be attending!

DukeBlueNV
04-22-2010, 09:32 PM
Quincy Miller and **Deuce Bello will be attending!

**weird...

YourLandlord
04-22-2010, 09:45 PM
**weird...
Why? He's from North Carolina and is probably a fan of good basketball, of which Duke would be included. Why wouldn't he (or anyone) want to go to the banquet?

Waynne
04-22-2010, 10:11 PM
Did Austin Rivers attend the banquet?

DukeBlueNV
04-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Why? He's from North Carolina and is probably a fan of good basketball, of which Duke would be included. Why wouldn't he (or anyone) want to go to the banquet?

because this is the first time i've heard his name mentioned associated with duke... have u heard of any connection between us and him before? do u really think he's just came or was invited simply as a casual guest?

WiJoe
04-22-2010, 10:17 PM
tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock ...

waiting for the banquet report ...

tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock,

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-22-2010, 10:19 PM
Was it today?

dcar1985
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
because this is the first time i've heard his name mentioned associated with duke... have u heard of any connection between us and him before? do u really think he's just came or was invited simply as a casual guest?

Who are u referring to, Q or Deuce...we been recruiting Q for quite a while now and him and Deuce are pretty much as tight as it gets, if Q wanted to come to the banquet and bring his best friend with him you think we should've said no??

DukeBlueNV
04-22-2010, 10:46 PM
Who are u referring to, Q or Deuce...we been recruiting Q for quite a while now and him and Deuce are pretty much as tight as it gets, if Q wanted to come to the banquet and bring his best friend with him you think we should've said no??

no im def aware of dukes intrest in miller... im just curious as to why bello came... just a friend for company? or someother reason, are we recruiting him now? maybe reading into the situation to much but i thought it was wierd for him to come.

Oriole Way
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
no im def aware of dukes intrest in miller... im just curious as to why bello came... just a friend for company? or someother reason, are we recruiting him now? maybe reading into the situation to much but i thought it was wierd for him to come.

He's a talented player, so I'm sure Duke is genuinely interested in him, despite our surplus of guards on the roster the next few years. It doesn't hurt to let him get to know the program more. However, I think the main reason he was invited was that he's best friends with Quincy Miller.

sleepybear
04-22-2010, 10:50 PM
Thornton just tweeted this pic
http://tweetphoto.com/19526161

El_Diablo
04-22-2010, 10:58 PM
Thornton just tweeted this pic
http://tweetphoto.com/19526161

That's pretty sweet. Are they just displaying it tonight, or are they officially raising it to the rafters?

sleepybear
04-22-2010, 11:04 PM
That's pretty sweet. Are they just displaying it tonight, or are they officially raising it to the rafters?

Not sure. I bet they wait to hang it.

awards list from goduke
http://www.goduke.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=204934472

another banner pic
http://yfrog.com/2m703uj

TJ99
04-22-2010, 11:37 PM
Did Austin Rivers attend the banquet?

I **thought** I saw him sitting at the table behind the Scheyers.

bluedevil2012
04-22-2010, 11:40 PM
I **thought** I saw him sitting at the table behind the Scheyers.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I saw him on the screen behind Jon.

weezie
04-22-2010, 11:48 PM
What a great night! Such handsome guys, all speaking so completely from the heart. Nolan got things off to a fine start by coming out and doing sort of an Urkel pose with fake glasses and the evening rolled happily from that point.

Someone else can post all the awards but the highlight was having the starters take the stage to share the Swet-Ballin. Very goosebumpy moment.
Kyle looked delighted by the repeated cheers/ovations whenever he was pictured or mentioned.
So much love and respect shown by each senior towards their teammates. Again and again, they said how much of a bond grew between all of them.
Coach K was in a hilarious mood, great one liners, also acknowledging Miles' new beard.
Hard to say which senior speech was the most moving, but Lance and Jon sure brought tears to my eyes....and then also Brian talking about his injuries and learning what the will to fight through them really meant.
We've been lucky to watch these young men grow into such bright and capable people. All so self-effacing, gracious and grateful.
Hate to see our seniors leave, but as K said, they are in all of our hearts, forever.

-bdbd
04-23-2010, 12:09 AM
Any other attendees - please post your impressions. Please post pics. Any details of the speeches much appreciated. How about any statements concerning next year?

Also interested to hear if Austin Rivers and/or Q were acknowlegded or otherwise having a noteworthy experience...

Wish I were closer and could attend.

Son of Jarhead
04-23-2010, 12:27 AM
Great night, both funny & moving at times. Much talk about "team", hardwork, love, & trust. As always, the videos were lots of fun. I'm going to miss these seniors, but I'm also already looking forward to next season.

Most moving moment: Lance mentioned feeling now like he will no longer be a part of the Duke team, that he'll never get to wear a Duke jersey again, to which Coach K responded with "you'll always be a part of the Duke team".

Most funny moment: Many good laughs (K was in rare form), but best had to be Wojo's story about his wife telling him she was pregnant 10.5 months ago. He said he asked her 3 questions... the 1st being "Was I there?", to which she responded "Yes... briefly."

ChrisP
04-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Was it just me or were the player videos (or I guess it really was just the songs/music) kind of lame this year? I think it was mentioned earlier in this thread that the vids have not been as memorable in recent years so I don't mean to beat a dead horse and I have no doubt that a lot of work goes into producing them but...the songs all seemed pretty tame and nondescript to me.

I think I will volunteer to be the official Duke b-ball music consultant. Sort of T-Bone Burnett meets hardwood kinda thing

Afterhours
04-23-2010, 01:17 AM
thanks to those who attended and posted thoughts. it sounds like it was a good night. i envy you all:D

Battery
04-23-2010, 01:29 AM
What songs were selected for each of the Senior montages?

stillcrazie
04-23-2010, 08:26 AM
All the seniors' speeches were really well done. A few highlights:

I didn't know that Steve Johnson was a walk-on from the track team. He talked about how he had to come in to Card Gym in his track shoes for his try-out and how great it was to make it on the team.

Zoubek had to bend over so far to reach the mike he looked kind of awkward. He talked about being a kid, shooting baskets in his driveway wearing a Duke shirt and Duke shorts - he even had Duke slippers, and how in his mind, he was shooting for the NCAA title with 3 seconds left on the clock. The crowd loved it. Then he said that in his driveway, he never imagined the coach on the sidelines yelling at him to miss the shot. Also, very impressive that Zoubs has a 3.3 GPA in History.

Lance talked more about his teammates than about himself. He didn't use his notes and spoke with passion about how much he loved this team, mentioning Zoubek and Singler in particular. He said it was not comfortable to be the only one yelling, communicating in practices sometimes, but he did it for the rest of the team. You could tell he absolutely knew that this was the best team he would ever play on and that he appreciated every moment of it.

Scheyer admitted that he got a lot of energy and support from Lance. He also told a story about his first practice 4 years ago. His mom told him he needed to eat more and gain some weight, and sent him off with a box of Cliff bars. So Scheyer eats one before his first practice which was at the track, and loses it when he decides to impress the team by sprinting the last lap. Scheyer was the most emotional of all the seniors and his voice did break a bit at one point.

Surprising to me was the great speech by President Broadhead. At one point he described the essence of each player on the team, and his words were quite poetic. You could tell he was a true fan of the team, and tied in their accomplishments with the larger task of education at Duke, Coach K being a "natural teacher."

scheyersbiggestfan
04-23-2010, 09:30 AM
Stillcrazie did a great job of hitting the high points of the senior speeches. I hope they get streamed on dukeblueplanet for those who didn't get to see them as they were very touching and made me so proud of Duke. They were well spoken and heart felt, and brimming with love for their teammates.

I also was surprised and quite happy with Pres Broadhead's speech. He talked how after the game he went back and did what all of us did - watch it again! He went on to say he is looking forward to retirement when he can watch it all the time. He said he picked up Nolan's mom after the we won and twirled her around. He described that intense look that Lance has (he used a latin term which I am embarrassed to say I didn't catch) that he also said was like "what were you thinking". He talked about how Scheyer was so calm and it seemed like he was also thinking/concentrating - both 3 minutes ahead as well as what had just happened a few minutes ago and how he could use that information to decide what to do next. He recognized Zoubeck's struggle and how he came to be great. He also called Kyle a warrior and then "P.S. - great decision".

Coach K said of Broadhead after he spoke - He intimidates me because he's so smart, and now he's become funny...and apparently knows basketball. Very funny!

Great night! Besides the banner, the trophies were also on display.

airowe
04-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Great recaps by everyone above. You could really tell how much of a team these guys are and how much they genuinely cared about one another. Cool to see in this day of instant gratification how much hard work and dedication paid off for these guys.

Just to add to Jon's speech, he told a story of a game he played at Glenbrook North while he was being recruited with K and Collins in attendance. Scheyer had 52 points and his team was down by 3 with 10 seconds left. Bringing the ball up the court for the last shot, Jon gets called for an offensive foul. The whole place went wild and Jon even said it was a bad call. He got a phone call after the game from K who told him it was a bad call and how everyone in the stands was really angry exccept for one person. Jon asked him who and K told him Collins was happy because 54 points in a game was the only record Collins still had from Glenbrook that Jon hadn't broken yet

Search for dukeblueplanet on Twitter and you'll see my picture of the "banner" raised. My username is a_i_rowe.

watzone
04-23-2010, 10:56 AM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/brian-zoubek-says-his-farewells-during-dukes-awards-banquet/

Listen to Brian Zoubek saying his goodbyes via audio at the link above.

Eckster
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
Stillcrazie did a great job of hitting the high points of the senior speeches. I hope they get streamed on dukeblueplanet for those who didn't get to see them as they were very touching and made me so proud of Duke. They were well spoken and heart felt, and brimming with love for their teammates.

I also was surprised and quite happy with Pres Broadhead's speech. He talked how after the game he went back and did what all of us did - watch it again! He went on to say he is looking forward to retirement when he can watch it all the time. He said he picked up Nolan's mom after the we won and twirled her around. He described that intense look that Lance has (he used a latin term which I am embarrassed to say I didn't catch) that he also said was like "what were you thinking". He talked about how Scheyer was so calm and it seemed like he was also thinking/concentrating - both 3 minutes ahead as well as what had just happened a few minutes ago and how he could use that information to decide what to do next. He recognized Zoubeck's struggle and how he came to be great. He also called Kyle a warrior and then "P.S. - great decision".

Yes Dr. Broadhead's special comments were spot on and came from a true fan of the team. I'll only add that he also commented on Nolan's face and his smile that radiated "pure joy". I've thought that myself at times.

The other thing that struck me last night (commented on briefly earler) was the look on Kyle's face when the seniors commented on his toughness & skill but also on what a great friend and teammate he was. From a guy who by all accounts is a quite/soft-spoken person (did anyone notice how in all the championship podium shots, Kyle is in the back?), to see the "pure joy" on his face last night as his friends/teammates spoke about him was very special to me.

The love among the team members and coaches was palpable last night. It's no wonder that Kyle chose to return. I wouldn't want it to end either.

bluedevil2012
04-23-2010, 10:59 AM
It was a great night. The senior videos were really well put together (Zoubek's in particular), and the championship video was really moving, ending with the banner raising. Lemme just say that if that didn't make Austin Rivers want to go to Duke, then I don't know what will.

PS did anyone else notice Nate James calling Chris Collins Steve Collins twice? :D

stillcrazie
04-23-2010, 11:02 AM
It was a great night. The senior videos were really well put together (Zoubek's in particular), and the championship video was really moving, ending with the banner raising. Lemme just say that if that didn't make Austin Rivers want to go to Duke, then I don't know what will.

PS did anyone else notice Nate James calling Chris Collins Steve Collins twice? :D

I thought he was calling him C-Collins.

bluedevil2012
04-23-2010, 11:04 AM

ohhh that would make a lot more sense hahaha

Kedsy
04-23-2010, 11:14 AM
Surprising to me was the great speech by President Broadhead.

I also was surprised and quite happy with Pres Broadhead's speech.

Yes Dr. Broadhead's special comments were spot on and came from a true fan of the team.

Isn't it Brodhead? Or is this some kind of inside joke with which I am not familiar?

flyingdutchdevil
04-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Isn't it Brodhead? Or is this some kind of inside joke with which I am not familiar?

Considering that Brodhead accidentally replaced "Yale" with "Duke" countless times during his commencement speech, I'd allow the spelling of his name to slide.

stillcrazie
04-23-2010, 11:23 AM

You are correct about the spelling. I thought about that after I wrote it in haste and exuberance.

Eckster
04-23-2010, 11:50 AM

I was just quoting stillcrazie and scheyersbiggest fan! :o Apologies to the President!

SoCalDukeFan
04-23-2010, 12:15 PM
On one hand I really like the idea. The NC was won by the TEAM.

On the other hand, why call it MVP if you give it to all 5 starters?

SoCal

Eckster
04-23-2010, 01:08 PM

SoCal

I don't think it would have been unfair to any of those guys to not be selected but if you put yourself in the coaches shoes, how tough would it be to single out one guy on that team? I liked it too.

Best thing about that award last night was how special it was for Wojo to present it to the guys. After posing on stage with the MVP's, he was obviously moved and said that in 11 years at Duke, that was the "coolest moment" he could remember. Loved it!

Billy Dat
04-23-2010, 01:19 PM
RE - the 2 photos linked from the DBR front page - the seniors are classic in those matching pinstripe suits. Personally, whenever I see pinstripes of that thickness, I can only think of one word - PIMP!

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-23-2010, 01:31 PM
RE - the 2 photos linked from the DBR front page - the seniors are classic in those matching pinstripe suits. Personally, whenever I see pinstripes of that thickness, I can only think of one word - PIMP!

They were wearing the suits from the team poster this year, thus the type of pinstripe.

Lord Ash
04-23-2010, 01:48 PM

SoCal

Easy!

Most Valuable Players!

Although I do somewhat agree with what you mean:)

SoCalDukeFan
04-23-2010, 03:29 PM
Easy!

Most Valuable Players!

Although I do somewhat agree with what you mean:)

I am conflicted. On one hand it seems absolutely the correct and right thing to do. On the other ?

SoCal

scheyersbiggestfan
04-23-2010, 03:45 PM
President Brodhead,
If you see this, please accept my apologies for misspelling your name. It was not a joke. In my time, I only had to learn how to spell Brodie. I really liked your speech.
-scheyersbiggestfan

orrnot
04-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Considering that Brodhead accidentally replaced "Yale" with "Duke" countless times during his commencement speech, I'd allow the spelling of his name to slide.

Dr. Brodhead, in the midst of a typically apropos and even moving acceptance of the Duke job, did misplace for "Duke" the name of his alma mater, the only school he'd ever attended or worked for. He did this something like two or three times that day. We saw at the start that he has a speaking style that is a bit goofy, perhaps stumbling, but one that rarely fails to reveal a sharp wit and insightful gaze. I've heard him speak many times, and he always come across as bright and observant.
How nice it is that another netted sport gives many of you a chance to re-evaluate the guy. My suggestion is that he deserves a more nuanced appraisal than that which arose from the late controversy.
Sorry to hijack the banquet thread. Thanks to those who've shared!

PaIronDuke
04-23-2010, 04:11 PM
Dr. Brodhead, in the midst of a typically apropos and even moving acceptance of the Duke job, did misplace for "Duke" the name of his alma mater, the only school he'd ever attended or worked for. He did this something like two or three times that day. We saw at the start that he has a speaking style that is a bit goofy, perhaps stumbling, but one that rarely fails to reveal a sharp wit and insightful gaze. I've heard him speak many times, and he always come across as bright and observant.
How nice it is that another netted sport gives many of you a chance to re-evaluate the guy. My suggestion is that he deserves a more nuanced appraisal than that which arose from the late controversy.
Sorry to hijack the banquet thread. Thanks to those who've shared!

In this month of great satisfaction, this comment about our president is one more thing of which to be proud...............

Class of '94
04-23-2010, 05:54 PM
In this month of great satisfaction, this comment about our president is one more thing of which to be proud...............

I don't know if this question belongs under a recruiting thread; but I was wondering if anyone who was at the banquet can give any further thoughts on how well the recruits appeared to enjoy the evening and the reactions to to the celebration and player speeches.

And does anyone know if any of our 2010 incoming players (outside of Thorton) were at the banquet last night; and how well they appeared to enjoy the evening?

Spy
04-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I don't know if this question belongs under a recruiting thread; but I was wondering if anyone who was at the banquet can give any further thoughts on how well the recruits appeared to enjoy the evening and the reactions to to the celebration and player speeches.

And does anyone know if any of our 2010 incoming players (outside of Thorton) were at the banquet last night; and how well they appeared to enjoy the evening?

There were hundreds of people sitting on the court, and it was pretty dark, so I couldn't really pick out any faces (And I was sitting in the front row right behind the brass bar). The only reason I even recognized the players was because they were so much taller than anyone else.

Class of '94
04-23-2010, 06:23 PM
There were hundreds of people sitting on the court, and it was pretty dark, so I couldn't really pick out any faces (And I was sitting in the front row right behind the brass bar). The only reason I even recognized the players was because they were so much taller than anyone else.

Oh, ok.......Got it.....Thanks for responding!

weezie
04-23-2010, 08:48 PM

Apparently you didn't recognize the stunning, tall Devil (me) with the blue dress on?
:cool:

DukeDevilDeb
04-23-2010, 10:13 PM

... calling him C Collins. But sometimes it is really hard to hear...

I am absolutely confident that Nate knows Coach C's correct first name! :D

Zafort
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM
This is a link from my Snapfish page. I'm not sure it will take.
http://www1.snapfish.com/earthlink/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=2617274015/a=9493807_9493807/

I have some vids, which I will try to post.

BTW, the banquet was a thoroughly exhiliarating experience.
The spirit of joy articulately expressed made it so memorable.
This year's team's accomplishments were both a triumph of the will and triumph of the spirit.

JStuart
04-24-2010, 09:20 AM
I don't think it would have been unfair to any of those guys to not be selected but if you put yourself in the coaches shoes, how tough would it be to single out one guy on that team? I liked it too.

Best thing about that award last night was how special it was for Wojo to present it to the guys. After posing on stage with the MVP's, he was obviously moved and said that in 11 years at Duke, that was the "coolest moment" he could remember. Loved it!

I absolutely think it was a brilliant choice, in light of how the season began (Kentucky loaded with one and done's; UNC getting HB, and being ranked in the top 5) and how it ended up (Final Four having four solid, defensive, well-coached TEAMS). It celebrates what I'm beginning to think is a stratification of college basketball, into a level of 'NBA prep schools' and others that play to win the NCAA championship as a team sport.
I may elaborate on this concept later on, but it dates back to UNLV,(who probably wouldn't have stayed together long enough to win in 1990, if given the one-and-done rules of today) and also the Fab Five.

But what a wonderful, wonderful year. What I'd like to see is Al Featherston write a long article about the Duke-UNC seasons, in parallel views, starting with HB's Skype'd press conference, and ending with the Banquet!
Al, are you tuned in?
JStuart

DevilWearsPrada
04-24-2010, 10:33 AM
The Mens Banquet gets 5 stars from me!!! Absolute Superior!!!! Not a dry eye in Cameron. The best way to end a season, with the raising of the 2010 NCAA National Championship Banner and the videos from The ACC Tournament and the NCAA Tournaments!!!! Thanks for a great season!!! And being in Indianapolis to see the championship and cutting of the cuts, will be something I will remember a lifetime!!!

Kedsy
04-24-2010, 01:11 PM
It celebrates what I'm beginning to think is a stratification of college basketball, into a level of 'NBA prep schools' and others that play to win the NCAA championship as a team sport.
I may elaborate on this concept later on, but it dates back to UNLV,(who probably wouldn't have stayed together long enough to win in 1990, if given the one-and-done rules of today) and also the Fab Five.

Why do you say this? In those days there was no restriction at all on when you could leave; why would the one-and-done rules have changed anything?

Also, on which side would those two teams be on (the "NBA prep school" side or the "play to win the NCAA championship" side)? UNLV won an NCAA championship and then made the next year's Final Four before being beaten in a monumental upset, and Michigan made the NCAA championship game the only two years the Fab Five were together.

I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say.

JStuart
04-24-2010, 03:45 PM
I honestly don't understand what you're trying to say.

In the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Nevermind"

SupaDave
04-24-2010, 06:08 PM
In the immortal words of Emily Latella, "Nevermind"

Well you did present a topic of thesis proportions. Especially since UNLV not only had upper classmen but by most accounts they really loved UNLV (as evidenced by UNLV's recent acknowledgement of the team and their era).

The Fab 5 weren't one and done's either. They were a collection of some of Michigan's best talent that decided to go to school together although they all had VERY different routes to UM. Two members of the Fab 5 played their senior years I believe. Rose and Webber gave at least two years I'm positive.

Now how you compare all of this to college teams becoming NBA "factories" sounds like something I would really like to see the connection too.

dyemeduke
04-24-2010, 11:16 PM
Well you did present a topic of thesis proportions. Especially since UNLV not only had upper classmen but by most accounts they really loved UNLV (as evidenced by UNLV's recent acknowledgement of the team and their era).

The Fab 5 weren't one and done's either. They were a collection of some of Michigan's best talent that decided to go to school together although they all had VERY different routes to UM. Two members of the Fab 5 played their senior years I believe. Rose and Webber gave at least two years I'm positive.

Now how you compare all of this to college teams becoming NBA "factories" sounds like something I would really like to see the connection too.

I agree. The comment about UNLV and Fab Five are misleading and uninformed in my opinion. People tend to single those teams out, because they were comprised primarily of urban kids with some swag to them. Webber left after his soph season, Rose and Howard after their Jr season, and Jackson and King stayed all four. UNLV was assembled to win championships, not shoot to the NBA. They were solid teams. While UNLV definitely did try to intimidate opponents, that does not mean they were dumb thugs on the court looking for a quick route to NBA riches. Just because the Fab Five reshaped bball style with their black shoes and socks and baggy shorts, it does not mean they were mocking education. They decided to play together for the chance of winning big.

It's a different culture in bball today, as NBA teams continue to put more stock in potential as opposed to NBA readiness. Potential shoots players up on draft boards, and staying all four years seems to always hurt players. I think this is what was meant by colleges becoming NBA factories. Accusing UNLV and Michigan of being the origin of this is a huge stretch to me.

I'd be interested to read the response or explanation to how UNLV and Fab Five started the NBA factories. In my opinion, the success of HS kids in the NBA and the one-and-done rule are the reasons for the situation we're in - nothing else. You can't blame kids (most of whom are poor) either for wanting to make millions of money as soon as they can.

livehead16
04-25-2010, 12:18 AM
In response to someone's request for pics/video, here are a few:

Pic of Nolan's pose at the beginning (http://twitpic.com/1hoz44)
Pic of the Defensive Players of the Year (http://twitpic.com/1hp0xe)
Pic of the five MVPs (http://twitpic.com/1hp2qc)
Pic of the NC banner being raised (http://twitpic.com/1hp50c)
Video of Jon's speech, Part One (http://bit.ly/9k8rE3)
Video of Jon's speech, Part Two (http://bit.ly/antYzW)
Video of Jon's tribute video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkPxDTtJONE)

I have more pics, but it's likely to be a while before they're edited and posted. These are just a few I put up quickly. We only recorded Jon's speech/video, however.

I would like to add to what everyone has already said with regard to the seniors' speeches - they were all great. I was really impressed and proud of how poised all of them were up there in front of a crowd. LT and Jon, in particular, were terrific.

Lord Ash
04-25-2010, 12:22 AM
It is interesting that I never had a chance to know this, but only at the end of the season realized that no mic was ever high enough up for Brian... he always has to come down to the mic to talk!:)

JStuart
04-25-2010, 09:20 AM
I agree. The comment about UNLV and Fab Five are misleading and uninformed in my opinion. People tend to single those teams out, because they were comprised primarily of urban kids with some swag to them. Webber left after his soph season, Rose and Howard after their Jr season, and Jackson and King stayed all four. UNLV was assembled to win championships, not shoot to the NBA. They were solid teams. While UNLV definitely did try to intimidate opponents, that does not mean they were dumb thugs on the court looking for a quick route to NBA riches. Just because the Fab Five reshaped bball style with their black shoes and socks and baggy shorts, it does not mean they were mocking education. They decided to play together for the chance of winning big.

It's a different culture in bball today, as NBA teams continue to put more stock in potential as opposed to NBA readiness. Potential shoots players up on draft boards, and staying all four years seems to always hurt players. I think this is what was meant by colleges becoming NBA factories. Accusing UNLV and Michigan of being the origin of this is a huge stretch to me.

I'd be interested to read the response or explanation to how UNLV and Fab Five started the NBA factories. In my opinion, the success of HS kids in the NBA and the one-and-done rule are the reasons for the situation we're in - nothing else. You can't blame kids (most of whom are poor) either for wanting to make millions of money as soon as they can.

OK, fellas, cool your jets. I was unaware that I had hit such a sore spot, and I innocently put out an idea without a page or two of backup data, and as a follower of Duke basketball since 1957, thought it was as acceptable on this board as any other comments on recruiting, starting lineups, or the latest Twitter statements. Mea Culpa!

WHAT I WROTE was an idea percolating through my synapses- aided by caffeine- that I will rephrase, simply:
1. I like team concept basketball, and think the NBA game is atrocious.
2. Like many of us on this and other Duke boards, I have been disappointed with the end results of our recent seasons, even though I have not lost my belief that Coach K is the best in the business, and thinks differently about coaching and leadership than most coaches.
3. This past season -even if we had lost at the buzzer- proved to me that K still has the concept right. The fact that the other 3 Final Four teams were of a team-oriented philosophy -and not a Calipari approach- reassured me that men's college basketball was not a lost cause.
4. Giving the MVP to the starting lineup was, to me, all the more evidence that Coach K's system, formula, approach, philosophy: anything one wishes to call it, is the real deal, and the team approach still prevails , and can succeed.
5. This season also seems -to me- to show that the approach of assembling a group of talented individuals (whether one-&-done) without a good team concept, is as likely to fail as a well-coached team of non-NBA caliber players, with a low RPI. (There are exceptions, but I wasn't writing a thesis).
6. I have no detailed knowledge of the UNLV or Michigan teams, but I used them as brief examples of future NBA talent assembled teams, and didn't realize my uninformed state. I was thinking, though, what if the UNLV and Michigan players were all high schoolers today, and looking for places to matriculate?
7. I think that there may be a stratification (I like that word) of college basketball into a philosophical level of the Calipari approach on one extreme, and the K, Knight, and maybe Boeheim, approach to strong team play, using as many good players as possible, but not simply gathering as much talent as possible, and hoping that John Wall will hit a basket to win the tight games.
8. I didn't accuse UNLV of starting "factories", I used the phrase 'NBA prep' schools, and -if I didn't say it word for word- meant that it MAY date back to that time, when it seemed that was the formula for success. The comment above that the situations are different as the NBA drafts on potential is parallel to what I meant to say.

Now, I submit this all in the terrific atmosphere of a 4th championship (I actually watched Duke lose to UCLA in Black&White, I never thought I'd witness 4 of these) and hope that it isn't too controversial. I will submit that what you're objecting to was not the thrust of my statement.

I've spent way, way too much time on this, and by implication, so have all of you. I'm done explaining a brief thought, which I maintain is in keeping with what I've learned of each of your philosophies -I believe- and hope we can all remain friends. But you can bet that my post totals will stay where they are for the forseeable future. Bye for now.
JStuart

WiJoe
04-25-2010, 01:48 PM

I have more pics, but it's likely to be a while before they're edited and posted. These are just a few I put up quickly. We only recorded Jon's speech/video, however.

I would like to add to what everyone has already said with regard to the seniors' speeches - they were all great. I was really impressed and proud of how poised all of them were up there in front of a crowd. LT and Jon, in particular, were terrific.

FANTASTIC! THANKS SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go get a kleenex.

GLTBD
04-25-2010, 03:24 PM

I was at the banquet and it took all I could not to cry (sob), now viewing it at home the tears are flowing.

Duke Mom
04-25-2010, 04:06 PM

These are terrific! Thanks for posting. Greedy me wants to know if anyone has links to any of the other speeches from the Banquet?

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Did everyone on the team speak, or just the seniors?

stillcrazie
04-25-2010, 04:29 PM
Did everyone on the team speak, or just the seniors?

Just the seniors. All the coaches presented awards and spoke a bit. Coach K spoke quite a bit.

Dr. Tina
04-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Wow, thank you so much for posting Jon's speech and video. I would love to see the ones for LT and Zoubs if anyone has it. I wish I could have been there. Jon's speech and video were so moving as well as Wojo's speech for the MVP award!

Honestly, I still have to pinch myself when I realize our guys are national champions. What a fulfilling year!

BD80
04-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Any word on Marshall Plumlee? I would hope he was there with his family.

I would appreciate any info (inside or not) about Marshall and the apparent cooling of the relationship with Duke. With his brothers winning a national championship, I would expect interviews with Marshall describing his excitement about the possibility of following in their footsteps - but I have seen none. Further, indications that we are actively recruiting other big men in Marshall's class would make one wonder about the relationship between Marshall and Duke. If Marshall is just exercising his prerogative and investigating his options, one would think that the banquet and the display of how close the team is would make Duke a tough choice to beat.

basket1544
04-25-2010, 06:24 PM

Thank you so much for posting these! Now I've seen Z and Jon's speeches. If only someone out there could post Lance's. Maybe? Like someone else said, I'm greedy when it comes to Duke.
I don't imagine there was a dry eye in the house after Jon's speech. What a remarkable group of young men we have the pleasure of watching grow up.

mattman91
04-25-2010, 09:58 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/coach-k-addressed-the-giddy-crowd-during-dukes-award-banquet/

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-25-2010, 10:41 PM
http://bluedevilnation.net/2010/04/coach-k-addressed-the-giddy-crowd-during-dukes-award-banquet/

ahhh major props. Great Speach by K of course

Afterhours
04-25-2010, 11:25 PM
i absolutely love jon's speech. and his emotion is contagious from the very beginning. what a terrific player and person.

LSanders
04-26-2010, 01:30 AM

Was it something I said? When I go to the link, there's nothing to press that will play. Anyone know why?

hedevil
04-26-2010, 01:46 AM
Yeah. I can't find a way to make it play either. Does anyone else have a link for K's speech? PLEASE!:)

jdj4duke
04-26-2010, 10:04 AM
Yeah. I can't find a way to make it play either. Does anyone else have a link for K's speech? PLEASE!:)

There is a TINY little "play" icon at the bottom of the "gabcast" block. It's hard to see, but works fine.

mattman91
05-04-2010, 11:05 PM
when i watched this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v-uO3kpD9g

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-04-2010, 11:06 PM
That was amazing

mattman91
05-04-2010, 11:19 PM
I cried tears of joy, then I started screaming at my computer when the banner was raised.

Afterhours
05-04-2010, 11:48 PM
wow what a rush. that video was amazing.

MisterRoddy
05-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Wow..I couldnt click the favorite button fast enough.

DevilWearsPrada
05-05-2010, 08:43 AM

All of the videos, are posted on you tube from this subscriber. Great to see them again, since the banquet. Duke is Forever!!!

David
05-05-2010, 09:58 AM
Yes, 'dukemom1' has a nice collection of videos on her youtube account from the banquet.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dukemom1#p/u

Dukemom1 - if you read DBR, keep 'em coming! Great stuff!

summerwind03
05-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Those were great!! Thanks so much for posting.

moonpie23
05-05-2010, 10:47 AM
that was awesome....thanks for posting..

i would love to have been there

:)

Daniel tosh
05-05-2010, 11:46 AM
That was great,so inspirational.I'll always remember this team,by far my favorite TEAM.GO DUKE!!NATIONAL CHAMPS!!

mattman91
05-05-2010, 05:45 PM
I saw all of her other videos, but that one was my favorite. i honestly did cry.

DevilWearsPrada
05-09-2010, 08:50 AM
Did anyone take pictures at the banquet? My pictures were very dark.

Lord Ash
05-09-2010, 09:30 AM

Hah! Love the general unrest and unhappiness at the Singler pick!:)

Welcome2DaSlopes
05-09-2010, 12:38 PM
Did anyone take pictures at the banquet? My pictures were very dark.

Dukeblueplanet.com

airowe
05-10-2010, 12:41 PM
Dukeblueplanet.com

http://www.blueplanetshots.com/2009-10/Players/2010-Banquet/12132153_aahoe#862649431_RtUjC