PDA

View Full Version : MBB Basketball Schedule speculation 2010-11

NYC Duke Fan
04-16-2010, 02:43 AM
Does anyone know when next year's basketball schedule will be released ?

I think that Duke will be playing in some early tournament but I am not sure where and against whom.

Lastly, will they be playing in NYC next year ?

Thank you.

pfrduke
04-16-2010, 02:49 AM
Does anyone know when next year's basketball schedule will be released ?

I think that Duke will be playing in some early tournament but I am not sure where and against whom.

Lastly, will they be playing in NYC next year ?

Thank you.

Third Friday in August (or thereabouts). We play in the CBE Classic in the pre-season; the four main schools are Duke, Gonzaga, Marquette, and Kansas State.

MCFinARL
04-16-2010, 08:47 AM
I read somewhere recently (ESPN?) that Duke has a game scheduled in the Meadowlands in late Dec. or early Jan. but the opponent isn't selected yet (Butler was mentioned as a possibility).

4decadedukie
04-16-2010, 08:56 AM
Lastly, will they be playing in NYC next year?

As you are aware, Duke traditionally plays a nationally televised New York City game (Meadowlands or MSG) against a substantial opponent during late-December (immediately prior to the Christmas holidays). I would be astonished if we did not do so again in 2010, since the game -- win or lose -- provides a real test for the team before the ACC season commences and because we have such a strong alumni/fan base in the metropolitan area.

davekay1971
04-16-2010, 08:58 AM
I read somewhere recently (ESPN?) that Duke has a game scheduled in the Meadowlands in late Dec. or early Jan. but the opponent isn't selected yet (Butler was mentioned as a possibility).

That would be unbelievably awesome...for both teams. I know this is a definitely-maybe-possibly kind of thing, but it's a really exciting possibility.

As for the CBE classic, that's going to be a nice early season test for us. Especially if Kyle goes, we're going to be a young team. Good to see some tough competition like that early on.

gumbomoop
04-16-2010, 11:20 AM
Not a schedule, but here's a list of all ACC teams' conference opponents for '10-'11:

http://www.theacc.com/auto_pdf/p_hotos/s_chools/acc/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/model-three-years

airowe
04-16-2010, 01:40 PM
I can't wait to curb stomp Steve Lavin's St. John's team and show him what an easy bracket looks like.

pfrduke
04-16-2010, 01:53 PM
I can't wait to curb stomp Steve Lavin's St. John's team and show him what an easy bracket looks like.

I think the St. John's series ended this season. We could always renew, but I think there's a mutual desire to look for new opponents.

WordLife565
04-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Meadowlands isn't NYC...it isn't even New York. but w/e.

pfrduke
04-16-2010, 04:05 PM

And yet multiple New York teams call it their home...

Tappan Zee Devil
04-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Well, You can see the NYC skyline from there.

Now, culturally NJ is a different world :(, but it is the NYC metro area

ndkjr70
04-16-2010, 05:59 PM
Similar question... what are the chances we play Miami in miami next year? I'm enrolling at the 'U' in the fall and would love to be the only blue shirt in the student section.

pfrduke
04-16-2010, 06:03 PM
Similar question... what are the chances we play Miami in miami next year? I'm enrolling at the 'U' in the fall and would love to be the only blue shirt in the student section.

We play in Miami. See the link to the ACC schedule a few posts up. Miami, NC State, and UVA are our home-and-home partners next year (in addition to the standard UNC-UMD pair).

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-16-2010, 06:04 PM
It's like the 6th borough

dukeintexas
04-16-2010, 06:14 PM

There were like 3 of us this year...it was a rough first half, students/fans at the U are pretty spectacularly classless and awful, and I got spit on in my JJ jersey...

But I'm graduating, so you better carry on the tradition my friend.

4decadedukie
04-16-2010, 07:16 PM

Thanks for the geography lesson (I realize it has been a long time since I was born in New York City); I suspect I was confused because the New York Giants play there.
:D

pfrduke
04-19-2010, 09:15 PM
Dear Coach Krzyzweski-

Please schedule Kyle Singler a homecoming game in Oregon next season. It could be at the Rose Garden, one of the more historic NBA venues still open today. Or you could even do a favor to the folks at Nike, who I'm sure would like nothing more than a marquee matchup with Duke to open their new arena on the Ducks' campus, and play a true road game at Oregon. Either way, just know that there are Duke fans (like me!) in the Pacific Northwest who would love to see the team play in person again.

Sincerely,
pfrduke

dukeblue225
04-19-2010, 09:51 PM

Even though we might not play St. John's, well said my friend...well said.

Dev11
04-20-2010, 01:49 AM
Or you could even do a favor to the folks at Nike, who I'm sure would like nothing more than a marquee matchup with Duke to open their new arena on the Ducks' campus, and play a true road game at Oregon.

Playing against his brother EJ? The commentators would have a field day, and the Nike execs might explode with delight with two of their favorite programs facing off. I like it.

Cameron
04-20-2010, 02:54 AM
I'm sure there will be a West Coast trip on the schedule, per custom K's "senior game." Jon (Chicago), Lance and Brian (NJ by way of MSG) had theirs and Kyle will have his. I'd be completely shocked to not see a Pacific Northwest game on our schedule next season, especially considering what Kyle has meant to this program and his faithful decision to come back.

I imagine Gonzaga (who returns pretty much everything except Boudin) in Seattle is a possibility, or perhaps even Oregon in the Rose Garden as another poster mentioned. What is the outlook for Lorenzo Romar's club at Washington next season?

Of the traditional West Coast powers near Portland (well, as close as you can get), I'd remove Stanford (for obvious reasons) and UCLA (for being worse than North Carolina's NIT team) off the list. I'd say Gonzaga is the most likely opponent for us next season, also returning our favor to them for the '06 and '09 December games in NYC.

ElSid
04-20-2010, 02:59 AM
What is the outlook for Lorenzo Romar's club at Washington next season?

The outlook for Washington is pretty good. I think they lose Q-Pon who is a senior, but not much else. And Romar just signed a 10 year contract extension.

I'd like to play Gonzaga. Is Elias Harris going pro? Guy's a beast and would be a big challenge for our front court.

Cameron
04-20-2010, 03:24 AM
I'd like to play Gonzaga. Is Elias Harris going pro? Guy's a beast and would be a big challenge for our front court.

From everything I've read, including the Zags' boards, Harris is returning.

I'm sure this could change.

DevilHorse
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
What are the odds that Duke is matched up with Michigan St. in an early preview of a possible late 2011 NCAA playoff game?

Larry
DevilHorse

Neals384
04-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Dear Coach Krzyzweski-

Please schedule Kyle Singler a homecoming game in Oregon next season. It could be at the Rose Garden, one of the more historic NBA venues still open today. Or you could even do a favor to the folks at Nike, who I'm sure would like nothing more than a marquee matchup with Duke to open their new arena on the Ducks' campus, and play a true road game at Oregon. Either way, just know that there are Duke fans (like me!) in the Pacific Northwest who would love to see the team play in person again.

Sincerely,
pfrduke

The Ducks' new Matthew Knight Arena opens Jan 2011 - not so convenient for Duke's schedule.

pfrduke
04-20-2010, 11:21 AM
The Ducks' new Matthew Knight Arena opens Jan 2011 - not so convenient for Duke's schedule.

Ah. Rose Garden it is then. Or, if Coach K would like to be even more convenient to my travel demands, Key Arena. It's a great place to watch a basketball game, and Gonzaga always plays a game at the Key once a season.

Neals384
04-20-2010, 11:24 AM
I imagine Gonzaga (who returns pretty much everything except Boudin) in Seattle is a possibility, or perhaps even Oregon in the Rose Garden as another poster mentioned.

But Duke could meet Gonz in the CBE...would they also schedule them in the northwest?

Most of us in Kyle's hometown Medford would much rather see Duke play at the Rose Garden than in Seattle. Much closer, neutral site!

Third Friday in August (or thereabouts). We play in the CBE Classic in the pre-season; the four main schools are Duke, Gonzaga, Marquette, and Kansas State.

Dev11
04-20-2010, 11:37 AM
But Duke could meet Gonz in the CBE...would they also schedule them in the northwest?

In 2008 we played Michigan like 2 weeks after the preseason tournament with them, and it wasn't our Televen-ACC challenge game.

hurleyfor3
04-20-2010, 11:40 AM
Seattle is a LONG way from Medford. No one's mantioned Corvallis yet, though, that's only about three hours. Eugene would be the most convenient.

pfrduke
04-20-2010, 11:59 AM
Seattle is a LONG way from Medford. No one's mantioned Corvallis yet, though, that's only about three hours. Eugene would be the most convenient.

I really don't think they're going to go play in Corvallis. My best guess is the Rose Garden, even if Medford is at the other side of the state from Portland. In any event, if the game is anywhere in Washington or Oregon, I will be there. :)

Duvall
04-20-2010, 12:02 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing Duke close down Mac Court, though that's not likely to happen.

tommy
04-20-2010, 12:13 PM
What are the odds that Duke is matched up with Michigan St. in an early preview of a possible late 2011 NCAA playoff game?

Larry
DevilHorse

That's what I was thinking too. With Kyle back, Duke and MSU are going to be a clear 1-2 in the nation, in either order, with everyone else far behind -- I'm talking pre-season rankings here, of course. Seems like the most natural ACC-Big 10 Challenge game, and would be a ratings monster.

Where do I get tickets?

Nugget
04-20-2010, 02:04 PM
We're lined up for a home game in the Big Televen Challenge this year, as is Michigan St., so it is more likely we would play Purdue (assuming Johnson and Moore come back) or Ohio St., both of whom would also be Top 10.

But, how about playing Mich St. in a "neutral" game at Ford Field as NCAA Tournament prep?

Billy Dat
04-20-2010, 05:48 PM
A pre-conference slate that included match-ups with Gonzaga and Kansas State (CBE), Michigan State (Acc/Big 10), and Butler would be incredible! We'll have the kind of team that can handle that sort of gauntlet, that would be fantastic! I know some have pointed out the reasons why the Michigan State game likely won't happen, but it would be the ideal scenario. I'd love to see Jacob Pullen and those up and down KStaters, Frank Martin makes Coach K look relaxed. A K/Izzo tilt would be considered a match-up of 2 all time greats at the top of their game. And Butler would, ho hum, just be an immediate rematch of one of the greatest title games. It would be like when the Fab 5 game into Cameron in December 1992...and promptly left with an L.

DallasDevil
04-20-2010, 10:16 PM
Seems like maybe Reggie Love could talk to his boss's brother-in-law to get a game in Corvallis. What about scheduling someone like Nevada and playing in Sacremento at ARCO Arena? Sacramento is only about 40 minutes farther from Medford than Portland is, and it's much closer to Medford than Seattle. Nevada would also be the type of team Duke could play in the first (assuming a 96 team tourney) or second round in March, which fits K's scheduling philosophy. If K wants to take it easy on Czyz, though, there are a number of other teams they could play in Sacramento (San Diego St., UNLV, St. Mary's, Cal, etc.).

pfrduke
04-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Seems like maybe Reggie Love could talk to his boss's brother-in-law to get a game in Corvallis. What about scheduling someone like Nevada and playing in Sacremento at ARCO Arena? Sacramento is only about 40 minutes farther from Medford than Portland is, and it's much closer to Medford than Seattle. Nevada would also be the type of team Duke could play in the first (assuming a 96 team tourney) or second round in March, which fits K's scheduling philosophy. If K wants to take it easy on Czyz, though, there are a number of other teams they could play in Sacramento (San Diego St., UNLV, St. Mary's, Cal, etc.).

Boo! Regardless of the logic of your suggestion, Sacramento is much further from Seattle than Portland, thereby greatly inhibiting my ability to see such a game in person (which is, of course, all that matters ;)).

Eternal Outlaw
04-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Game should be somewhere in Oregon. While not a huge Duke hotspot it has been very Duke friendly in the three years Kyle has played at Duke. The local paper basically makes it seem like the Duke Singler's since their coverage of Duke revolves around pride in Singler playing for them. Not sure if they put a Duke picture in if Singler isn't in it.

Honestly if a game was to be out here in honor of Kyle's four year of service and Oregonians were asked to go to Washington or California, I think it would irk many as a slap in the face to the Oregonians who have adopted/accepted Duke during Singler's time there. Singler is an Oregonian and his game out here should be in Oregon. These are prideful folk who would want to see their star in their state.

I wasn't born and raised here so I'll go to Seattle or Sacramento if I can see Duke without being irked.

JohnGalt
04-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Considering the recent success of the Southern Conference against the Dark Side of the ACC, I propose the Devils visit the hallowed, albeit newly opened, halls of John Kresse Arena to challenge the College of Charleston Cougars.

Coack K vs Bobby Cremins...just like old times, right?

Indoor66
04-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Considering the recent success of the Southern Conference against the Dark Side of the ACC, I propose the Devils visit the hallowed, albeit newly opened, halls of John Kresse Arena to challenge the College of Charleston Cougars.

Coack K vs Bobby Cremins...just like old times, right?

Yeah and they might even get a chance to play a set or two of tennis.

bill brill
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
I believe the date is nov . 27. georgetown off sked for a year at their request, replaced by temple. the meadowlands game could be the butler rematch if heyward pulls out of draft.

MChambers
04-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I believe the date is nov . 27. georgetown off sked for a year at their request, replaced by temple. the meadowlands game could be the butler rematch if heyward pulls out of draft.

Bill Brill nails it.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/24716679-41/oregon-game-season-duke-ducks.csp

Duke v. Oregon, Nov. 27, Rose Garden, Oregon coach and AD to be named later.

Devil07
04-23-2010, 11:38 PM
It looks like Kyle will get his game out West - this report (http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/24716679-41/oregon-game-season-duke-ducks.csp) has us playing Oregon out in the Rose Garden. It says it's not done yet (which given Oregon's lack of a coach would make sense) but I did see that Duke Blue Planet posted the link on twitter, so can't be too far fetched. It's hard to tell what kind of matchup it would be since so much depends on who Oregon hires, but that'll be great for Kyle to get back home. And of course, that doesn't even count the fact that he'll get to go up against his brother. Here's hoping this actually gets finalized!

ChicagoCrazy84
04-23-2010, 11:55 PM
It looks like Kyle will get his game out West - this report (http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/24716679-41/oregon-game-season-duke-ducks.csp) has us playing Oregon out in the Rose Garden. It says it's not done yet (which given Oregon's lack of a coach would make sense) but I did see that Duke Blue Planet posted the link on twitter, so can't be too far fetched. It's hard to tell what kind of matchup it would be since so much depends on who Oregon hires, but that'll be great for Kyle to get back home. And of course, that doesn't even count the fact that he'll get to go up against his brother. Here's hoping this actually gets finalized!

That would be so cool! I am from Oregon myself so I follow the Ducks. I would call myself a fan, but more so the football team :D

I still think their team has a great amount of potential and could be very good. They have some good young players who are still gelling and EJ is among them. It'll be interesting who they can grab off the coaching market and if they can finalize this. I would love for it to happen.

DukieBoy
04-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I have nothing written to report this, but I'm friend with many students at Butler and it was announced there that there will be a Duke-Butler rematch in the Meadowlands next year

Will look for a link to make it official

pfrduke
04-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Bill Brill nails it.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/sites/web/sports/24716679-41/oregon-game-season-duke-ducks.csp

Duke v. Oregon, Nov. 27, Rose Garden, Oregon coach and AD to be named later.

Awe. Some. Seriously. I'm getting tickets and going. Who's with me? :):D:):D

flyingdevil
04-30-2010, 02:22 PM
I'm so excited to watch Kyle and Duke play Oregon in the Rose Garden! I'm hoping Trailblazers season ticket holders get early dibs on seats. My dad went to UO and I grew up a Duck's fan. I still pull for them in football, but I'm excited to watch Duke destroy them. Too bad it's not in Mac court, the Cameron of the West Coast.

terrih
04-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I am really anxious for those those dates to be finalized. It seems like a pretty hectic schedule to play in the CBE pre-season tourn (not trying to jinx them from advancing), then be in Oregon on Saturday, Nov 27th and then out in NJ the following Saturday, 12/4.

I go to Hawaii every Thanksgiving, so this year going to have to come home early if they really are playing in Portland on 11/27.

-TerriH (resident of Tacoma, about 3 hours north o' Portland)

HRAR
04-30-2010, 08:22 PM
I have heard from the board of the student sub-division of Iron Duke (Inferno) that we will be hosting Michigan State next season for the ACC-Big Ten challenge. THAT will be an exciting game, can't wait!

pfrduke
04-30-2010, 08:28 PM
I am really anxious for those those dates to be finalized. It seems like a pretty hectic schedule to play in the CBE pre-season tourn (not trying to jinx them from advancing), then be in Oregon on Saturday, Nov 27th and then out in NJ the following Saturday, 12/4.

I go to Hawaii every Thanksgiving, so this year going to have to come home early if they really are playing in Portland on 11/27.

-TerriH (resident of Tacoma, about 3 hours north o' Portland)

And in the middle of that week, assuming the schedule is the same as it has been for the past however many years the "event" has been held, will be the ACC/Big Televen game, potentially against Michigan State. Could be quite a couple of weeks for Duke - 5 games against 2 of Gonzaga, Marquette, or K State, plus Oregon, Michigan State, and Butler - 4 of which would be away from home (although none a "true" road game).

DallasDevil
04-30-2010, 11:16 PM
Looks like we may find out pretty early on where this team stands. Can't wait!

Indoor66
05-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Duke 85 - Butler 65

Spy
05-01-2010, 10:55 AM
It's great that we're playing Butler and everything, but why the Izod Center?

SCMatt33
05-01-2010, 11:36 AM
It's great that we're playing Butler and everything, but why the Izod Center?

It's a lot easier to schedule the Izod Center for whatever date and time both Duke and Butler found convenient. With the Nets moving to the Prudential Center next year, It would be much harder for them to give up a December Saturday afternoon with both the Nets and Devils potential schedules to work around. Usually if we were to play at MSG, it would be closer to the holidays. MSG gives a chunk of time to college basketball for preseason tourney's in November and then again for several made for TV events around the holidays making it harder to work in both the Knicks and Rangers schedules, so I'd guess that convenience is the reason for choosing the Izod Center, but maybe I'm totally wrong and there is another reason, but that seems logical to me.

duke2x
06-17-2010, 10:49 PM
Temple @ Duke is now official for 2/23/11.

http://www.owlsports.com/documents/2010/6/17/1011_non_con_MBB_sched.pdf

NSDukeFan
06-18-2010, 09:41 AM
And in the middle of that week, assuming the schedule is the same as it has been for the past however many years the "event" has been held, will be the ACC/Big Televen game, potentially against Michigan State. Could be quite a couple of weeks for Duke - 5 games against 2 of Gonzaga, Marquette, or K State, plus Oregon, Michigan State, and Butler - 4 of which would be away from home (although none a "true" road game).

I can't believe we aren't playing "true" road games. This team will never be prepared for the tournament this way. ;)

DukieBoy
06-19-2010, 12:06 AM
Anyone know if/who Duke would be playing during winter break. I might be making the trek down to Durham to catch a game this winter

arydolphin
06-29-2010, 11:31 AM
The last game of the regular season, Duke at North Carolina, will be on March 5, 2011. It will be a Saturday night 8 PM Eastern start on CBS. It's the first time for Duke-Carolina to be on prime time on a network channel. Press release here: http://www.fangsbites.com/2010/06/cbs-to-air-duke-north-carolina-in.html

Grounded
06-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Speaking of the Rose Garden, the University of Portland (my other alma mater) will be hosting Kentucky this November.

http://www.portlandpilots.com/news/2010/5/28/MBB_0528104819.aspx

The Rose Garden has been a great place for games...UP hosted Duke there in the early 00s so that Dunleavy could play in front of his home town.

I live in San Francisco now, but I think I'm going to get up there for the Duke / UO and UP / UK games. Go Duke and UP! :)

duke2x
07-06-2010, 11:58 PM
Duke @UNC-G is confirmed, but the date is TBD.

http://www.greensborocoliseum.com/blog/coliseum-courts-getting-ready-busy-basketball-season

Also, the Bradley @Duke game linked by DBR earlier is rumored for Wed. 12/8/10 in Cameron, but I don't have an official link.

terrih
07-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Has the Portland game been confirmed and for that Saturday following Thanksgiving?

ACCBBallFan
07-26-2010, 04:22 PM
http://www.541radio.com/10---10/6299459?pid=17559

The roster continues to grow thinner in Eugene for Dana Altman at the University of Oregon. Starting point guard Malcolm Armstead is transferring out of the program. He is the fifth player to leave the Ducks since Dana Altman was hired as the new head coach of the program. Josh Crittle, Matt Humphrey, Drew Wiley and Jamil Wilson have all transferred.

The five players combined for 24.5 points, 9.9 rebounds and 6.3 assists a game last year. Armstead is the biggest loss to date for the Ducks. He averaged 10.3 points and 4.3 assists a game last year after transferring from Chipola Junior College. Don’t be surprised to see Southern Miss emerge as a player for the Alabama native.

With Armstead now gone, I’m further committed to these two trains of thought: 1. E.J. Singler will be the team’s MVP next year. He’s custom built for Altman’s system and he’ll have plenty of minutes to play. 2. The Ducks will be very, very bad next year. Hate to say it but this team is fractured and in repair.

pfrduke
07-26-2010, 07:56 PM

The roster continues to grow thinner in Eugene for Dana Altman at the University of Oregon. Starting point guard Malcolm Armstead is transferring out of the program. He is the fifth player to leave the Ducks since Dana Altman was hired as the new head coach of the program. Josh Crittle, Matt Humphrey, Drew Wiley and Jamil Wilson have all transferred.

The five players combined for 24.5 points, 9.9 rebounds and 6.3 assists a game last year. Armstead is the biggest loss to date for the Ducks. He averaged 10.3 points and 4.3 assists a game last year after transferring from Chipola Junior College. Don’t be surprised to see Southern Miss emerge as a player for the Alabama native.

With Armstead now gone, I’m further committed to these two trains of thought: 1. E.J. Singler will be the team’s MVP next year. He’s custom built for Altman’s system and he’ll have plenty of minutes to play. 2. The Ducks will be very, very bad next year. Hate to say it but this team is fractured and in repair.

Maybe the Portland Pilots (or even the Portland State Vikings) would make a better matchup?

duke2x
07-30-2010, 08:53 PM
Assuming it is released with the Iron Duke ticket application, anyone who wants to share the schedule is encouraged to post in this thread. :) The order of games is usually correct even if Tu/W/Th or Sat/Sun hasn't been finalized yet.

Add to the list of possibilities: @UVA will likely be a weekday game based on an e-mail I got from their ticket office.

Billy Dat
07-31-2010, 01:37 PM
I don't want to hear anyone complain that K doesn't schedule true road games. Team USA is playing 2 true road exhibitions in Spain against Spain and in Greece against Greece!:p

uh_no
07-31-2010, 04:59 PM
I don't want to hear anyone complain that K doesn't schedule true road games. Team USA is playing 2 true road exhibitions in Spain against Spain and in Greece against Greece!:p

look

everyone knows duke can't get it done on the road and they'll never win a national championship if they can't play on the road.......

yeah

tell that to butler :)

Indoor66
07-31-2010, 07:20 PM
look

everyone knows duke can't get it done on the road and they'll never win a national championship if they can't play on the road.......

yeah

tell that to butler :)

And Baylor.

Newton_14
07-31-2010, 08:40 PM
And Baylor.

Exactly. I have never understood all the hoopla over K not scheduling enough true road games in the OOC schedule. The only benefit at all is preparing for conference road games to help in the pursuit of the regular season title. Outside of that, what other value is there?

Tournament basketball, both conference and NCAA is played entirely on neutral courts. K always schedules several OOC games on neutral courts in big time arena's. In doing so he is preparing the team for tournament play. This year's team went undefeated on neutral courts and won every championship they could have possibly won.

Plus in fairness to K, over the years he has scheduled home and away series year over year with big name schools including Michigan, Georgetown, Temple, LSU, Notre Dame, St Johns, etc. The argument just does not hold water..

MarkD83
08-01-2010, 12:40 PM
Plus in fairness to K, over the years he has scheduled home and away series year over year with big name schools including Michigan, Georgetown, Temple, LSU, Notre Dame, St Johns, etc. The argument just does not hold water..

Critics always have to have something to criticize and the argument about road games, "athleticism", lack of a front court, lack of a bench.....etc is so that sportswriters have something to write about.

Bay Area Duke Fan
08-01-2010, 06:24 PM

I'd like to see us playing more games against teams such as Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Texas, UConn, Louisville and other traditional basketball powers. It'd be great for college basketball and profitable for Duke basketball.

uh_no
08-01-2010, 07:00 PM
I'd like to see us playing more games against teams such as Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, Texas, UConn, Louisville and other traditional basketball powers. It'd be great for college basketball and profitable for Duke basketball.

we sell out every game....i'm not sure how playing high profile teams would make us more money.....plus we get beat up so much in the ACC schedule that it would be suicide to schedule more premiere teams.....we already play UNC twice, maryland twice, a relatively high profile team or two in the MIDDLE of the ACC season, plus a Big10 team every fall....not to mention the preseason tournament which usually pits us against top competition....i seem to recall playing uconn last year.....

Duvall
08-01-2010, 07:06 PM

I suspect college basketball will be fine either way, and I think we can trust the Duke program to determine what will be most profitable for Duke basketball. Besides, Duke can sell twice as many tickets playing a mid-major at home every year as it can hosting a "traditional power" every other year.

ACCBBallFan
08-03-2010, 11:11 PM

With Armstead now gone, I’m further committed to these two trains of thought: 1. E.J. Singler will be the team’s MVP next year. He’s custom built for Altman’s system and he’ll have plenty of minutes to play. 2. The Ducks will be very, very bad next year. Hate to say it but this team is fractured and in repair.The more things change, the more they stay the same

http://www.duckterritory.com/basketball/1291-source-armstead-returns

ChicagoCrazy84
08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
The more things change, the more they stay the same

http://www.duckterritory.com/basketball/1291-source-armstead-returns

That makes more sense, I don't know why Armstead would leave the program since he would be getting the majority of the minutes at the PG position. I don't think Oregon will be that bad to be honest. They have a much better coach, good shooters with Armstead, Singler, and Longmire. Joevan Catron was granted another year of eligibility after he had back issues last year, Teondre Williams is a budding star and so is Michael Dunigan. They're not in bad shape IMO. With that said, I don't know if it would be worth us going out to Portland to play them.

duke2x
08-04-2010, 07:24 PM
Add Elon 12/20 in Cameron and UAB 1/5 in Cameron. 1 non-con game TBD yet.

ACCBBallFan
08-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Add Elon 12/20 in Cameron and UAB 1/5 in Cameron. 1 non-con game TBD yet.

Saw something on another Dukre board about Cal Poly on Nov 4. That sounds too early. I trhought the earliest things could start was about Nov 9 in P-NIT.

Duvall
08-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Saw something on another Dukre board about Cal Poly on Nov 4. That sounds too early. I trhought the earliest things could start was about Nov 9 in P-NIT.

That's probably an exhibition game against Cal Poly Pomona, last year's Division II champions.

ACCBBallFan
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
That's probably an exhibition game against Cal Poly Pomona, last year's Division II champions. Good call per this site

http://www.crazie-talk.com/scores-schedule/2010-2011/

-jk
08-05-2010, 09:42 AM
The speculation is over. We have a list of games now, here (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21940), thanks to DU82.

-jk