PDA

View Full Version : House Resolution To Honor Duke

Atlanta Duke
04-15-2010, 06:42 PM
Representative David Price (my poli sci prof in summer school) attempted to have a resolution saluting the Blue Devils passed - the House cannot even get that passed quickly:D
H.RES.1242
Title: Congratulating the Duke University men's basketball team for winning the 2010 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball National Championship.

ALL ACTIONS:

4/13/2010:
Referred to the House Committee on Education and Labor.
4/14/2010 2:04pm:
Ms. Fudge moved to suspend the rules and agree to the resolution.
Considered under suspension of the rules. (consideration: CR H2542-2545; text of measure as introduced: CR H2542)
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H. Res. 1242.
4/14/2010 2:22pm:
At the conclusion of debate, the chair put the question on the motion to suspend the rules. Ms. Fudge objected to the vote on the grounds that a quorum was not present. Further proceedings on the motion were postponed. The point of no quorum was withdrawn.

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d111:HE01242:@@@X

Any idea if Congresswoman Fudge (11th District - Ohio) has some ax to grind with Duke?:)

BD80
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
DEBATE - The House proceeded with forty minutes of debate on H. Res. 1242.
4/14/2010 2:22pm:
At the conclusion of debate, ...

Friggin' lawyers. Debate for 18 minutes, but record it as 40 minutes.

This crap goes on in every legislature in every state (and in DC) every day legislation is in session ... (Must ... resist ... saying ... anything ... about ... big ... government)

CameronBornAndBred
04-15-2010, 07:10 PM
It passed, before your post I'm assuming, because they read the resolution to Coach K at tonight's championship celebration at the ball park. It was pretty cool, and included an invitation to the team to visit the capitol.

LSanders
04-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Everything about this post make me laugh ... The fact that Prof./Rep. Price introduced it ... The fact that even the simplest legislation can't get passed without a bunch of crap ... And, finally, that it did get passed and was read to Coach!!!

Awesome!!! :)

Reilly
04-16-2010, 07:09 AM
It passed. See:

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2010/roll210.xml

But note that 12 representatives (all Democrats) voted 'present' rather than for the resolution.

2/12 are from Maryland (Edwards; Kratovil) .... another has a UConn degree (Courtney) ... not sure what the impediment could be for the other 9 ...

sagegrouse
04-16-2010, 07:24 AM
Friggin' lawyers. Debate for 18 minutes, but record it as 40 minutes.

This crap goes on in every legislature in every state (and in DC) every day legislation is in session ... (Must ... resist ... saying ... anything ... about ... big ... government)

Hey, BD! This isn't what it seems. 40 minutes of debate were permitted, but it only required 18, given the number of speakers.

Floor procedures in the HR have developed over the centuries and are a bit arcane, to say the least. Looks like a routine action.

sagegrouse

jdj4duke
04-16-2010, 08:38 AM
The NC Legislature last year of course passed what could only be described as a wide-ranging, obnoxious (from our standpoint), and now out of date resolution honoring the Heels. Granted we are not a state school, but maybe some of our North Carolina residents could contact their local rep and suggest similar honors for Duke. We can then wait for snowfall in hell.

Here is a link to the bill, which I am everyone will enjoy again:
http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions/2009/Bills/Senate/PDF/S1100v2.pdf

OZZIE4DUKE
04-16-2010, 08:46 AM
It passed. See:

But note that 12 representatives (all Democrats) voted 'present' rather than for the resolution.

2/12 are from Maryland (Edwards; Kratovil) .... another has a UConn degree (Courtney) ... not sure what the impediment could be for the other 9 ...
Perhaps some were from Kentucky? :eek:

blueprofessor
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
It passed. See:

Kratovil,an underdog for reelection in his MD seat, went to U of MD.

Cooper is a UNC grad and reps Vandy in his 5th district.

Cardoza is a U of MD grad.

Courtney has a JD from UConn and his district includes UConn.

Edwards is a native NCarolinian (educated at Wake) and reps MD's 4th district.

Kagen got 2 degrees from Wisconsin and is in a tough reelection fight.

Maffei was born in Syracuse and reps Syracuse in NY's 25th district.

Nye is a GTown grad and is an underdog for reelection in a VA district with a lot of Hokie and UVA grads.

"All politics are local."

Best to all Duke fans and a bitter defeat to the "present" voters.

Blueprofessor:)

DevilWearsPrada
04-16-2010, 09:14 AM
I was in attendance for the Duke Celebration last night at American Tobacco and the Durham Bulls Park!! Great weather, great crowd, and another beautiful day to be a Blue Devil!!! Coach K's words were awesome! So good to hear from the seniors, and see the entire staff and team, together again. Thanks for a wonderful season!!! I enjoyed the ride and the road to Indianapolis! So fortunate I was there to see this Magical Moment in History, and the Classic final championship game of 2 private universities: Duke and Butler!!

Duke Mom
04-16-2010, 11:22 AM
Kratovil,an underdog for reelection in his MD seat, went to U of MD.

Cooper is a UNC grad and reps Vandy in his 5th district.

Cardoza is a U of MD grad.

Courtney has a JD from UConn and his district includes UConn.

Edwards is a native NCarolinian (educated at Wake) and reps MD's 4th district.

Kagen got 2 degrees from Wisconsin and is in a tough reelection fight.

Maffei was born in Syracuse and reps Syracuse in NY's 25th district.

Nye is a GTown grad and is an underdog for reelection in a VA district with a lot of Hokie and UVA grads.

"All politics are local."

Best to all Duke fans and a bitter defeat to the "present" voters.

Blueprofessor:)

That's really funny - good bit of research you did!

Here's something from today's Chronicle written by Robert Krueger (former Duke prof., Dean, and former Congressman from Texas) about basketball and graduation rates.

http://dukechronicle.com/article/it-or-not-blue-devils-are-winners

sagegrouse
04-16-2010, 12:10 PM
The reolution passed in what appears to be a routine action on the floor of the House.

sagegrouse

diveonthefloor
04-16-2010, 02:52 PM
Amazing that they spend the time to do this (political stunt of no meaning to governing the US), but they still hadnt taken the time to pass legislation enabling physicians to keep seeing medicare patients rather than being forced to drop them.
(Sorry if I am introducing politics here, but this is just classic!)

whereinthehellami
04-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Are the champs going to the White House? Didn't some previous champs go to the White House?

-jk
04-16-2010, 02:59 PM
I have it under good authority that a similar Senate resolution is in the works, but which may remove the oblique reference to UNC.

-jk