PDA

View Full Version : Wisconsin Drops Nike Over Labor Dispute

airowe
04-15-2010, 03:43 PM
Cornell, Georgetown, and others under pressure to follow suit from student activist groups. I doubt this will go far but would be interesting if a snowball starts rolling.

http://rushthecourt.net/2010/04/15/wisconsin-drops-nike-others-to-follow/

DukieInKansas
04-15-2010, 04:08 PM
At least it isn't over the "Order has been restored" ad.;)

blazindw
04-15-2010, 04:08 PM
It would mean more if a team like Georgetown or Oklahoma or Miami, who Nike sponsors in all sports, would follow suit. But, Nike didn't sponsor Wisconsin's main revenue sports (football and basketball are sponsored by adidas) and I don't think it sponsored but maybe one or two Badger teams. So, for them to "drop" Nike isn't that much of a statement, in my mind.

greybeard
04-16-2010, 12:53 AM
It would mean more if a team like Georgetown or Oklahoma or Miami, who Nike sponsors in all sports, would follow suit. But, Nike didn't sponsor Wisconsin's main revenue sports (football and basketball are sponsored by adidas) and I don't think it sponsored but maybe one or two Badger teams. So, for them to "drop" Nike isn't that much of a statement, in my mind.

Selling product by giving free product in bucket fulls so a sports team has a gavillion practice uniforms, jerseys on jerseys, covered by long sleeved jerseys and of course multiple practice warmups, socks, shoes out the ying yang, arm cuffs, shoulder cuffs, compression shorts, hats of all sorts, all of which are gobbled up without a single US worker making a dime except in trucking and sales, which is to say they make maybe a dime, and they can't make sure that what, children aren't chained to sewing machines and fed drivel in Viet Nahm or some place, how does any of this advance "the Good."

If pressure is growing at even one school concerning a few inconsequential sports to stop this display of conspicuous consumption that goes on each time any team plays--you'd think it was a freakin fashion show if you show up early at one of these contests with all the different "outfits" players don before they arrive in regal splendor with multilayered game wear and everyone all "cuffed" up and what not, if even one school in one inconsequential sport says keep your freebees and our coaches will take what WE pay them and like it or we'll hire some others, I think that that is progress.

The other is to my mind unfortunate excess in an age when it really don't show that well, if you know what I mean. Wisconsin is an appropriate place for the first salvo to have been shot. From what I understand, if you are student there and have more than two pair of genes, three tee I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s, two sweaters, and a jacket for each season, you are a cloths horse. They also have a tradition of social activism. Good for them.

ikiru36
04-16-2010, 10:05 AM
The other is to my mind unfortunate excess in an age when it really don't show that well, if you know what I mean. Wisconsin is an appropriate place for the first salvo to have been shot. From what I understand, if you are student there and have more than two pair of genes, three tee I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.s, two sweaters, and a jacket for each season, you are a cloths horse. They also have a tradition of social activism. Good for them.

Actually, one pair of genes should be both necessary and sufficient for nearly any collegiate. But (assuming you meant Tee-shirts) I otherwise agree with your point(s). :D

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

greybeard
04-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Actually, one pair of genes should be both necessary and sufficient for nearly any collegiate. But (assuming you meant Tee-shirts) I otherwise agree with your point(s). :D

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wouldn't have been me if like the rest of the universe this had eminated from a being that had jeans that came in pears of two. :o:o Way cool that you share similar perspectives.