PDA

View Full Version : Coach K on Jim Rome

markbdevil
04-13-2010, 12:19 PM
at 12:30

YourLandlord
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Anyone know a local affiliate that carries Jim Rome that I can go to online?

Duke of Nashville
04-13-2010, 12:23 PM
I think you can listen live here (http://radiotime.com/program/p_35518/The_Jim_Rome_Show.aspx)

markbdevil
04-13-2010, 12:25 PM
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/

YourLandlord
04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Anythign for a flash-less iphone?

airowe
04-13-2010, 12:30 PM
Ugh. I just put the show on, willing to suffer to listen to Coach K, and could only leave it on for about 30 seconds. I'd rather listen to paint dry than listen to Rome.

weezie
04-13-2010, 12:31 PM
True dat.
Any predictions on what dopey, worn out questions Romey will ask?

stillcrazie
04-13-2010, 12:33 PM
I dare him to make fun of Coach K's name to his face, which he used to do on his show all the time.

weezie
04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Win Scotty Bowman as a coach for your hockey team?! That sounds cool!
Now all I need is to join a hockey team...and learn to skate.

DukieBoy
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Jim Rome is the 2nd most annoying person I've ever heard associated to sports.

Skip Bayless is first

stillcrazie
04-13-2010, 12:36 PM
Jim Rome is the 2nd most annoying person I've ever heard associated to sports.

Skip Bayless is first

K is on right now. Agreed on Bayless.

weezie
04-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Agreed on Bayless.

Stuart Scott?

Danke Shane
04-13-2010, 12:41 PM
Jim Rome used to be very down on Coach K. However, in the past year he's done a complete 180 and he now loves K and speaks highly of him quite often. I know that won't change most people's opinions of Jim Rome here, but given the volume of Duke haters out there I think its refreshing to finally have someone in the national spotlight publicly admit "I was wrong, I used to be a hater but he's a winner and does things the right way, I'm going to get behind this guy."

stillcrazie
04-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Jim Rome used to be very down on Coach K. However, in the past year he's done a complete 180 and he now loves K and speaks highly of him quite often. I know that won't change most people's opinions of Jim Rome here, but given the volume of Duke haters out there I think its refreshing to finally have someone in the national spotlight publicly admit "I was wrong, I used to be a hater but he's a winner and does things the right way, I'm going to get behind this guy."

Thanks; that's great to know. He's on at a different time now and I don't listen to him as often.

weezie
04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Wow! K hanging with Steve van Zandt!

Delaware
04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
Just finished listening... short, but good interview by Rome actually.

left_hook_lacey
04-13-2010, 12:55 PM
Just finished listening... short, but good interview by Rome actually.

He played "sandstorm" for i know nearly 5 minutes leading up to the K interview, talking about how Tropican Field is a night club. Really annoying.

All filler, no killer.

roywhite
04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
K couldn't have been much more definite about not going to an NBA job.

It was the Lakers' offer in 2004 that most interested him, but can't see making a move now.

jipops
04-13-2010, 01:11 PM

That or he may just feel like he's jumping a bandwagon. Rome is a follow the crowd type guy. If you're winning he loves you and thinks you're PHENOMENAL, if you're losing he just sneers and jeers.

DevilDawg
04-13-2010, 01:15 PM
I will only listen to Jim Rome if he has Jim Everett on his show.

roywhite
04-13-2010, 01:17 PM
That or he may just feel like he's jumping a bandwagon. Rome is a follow the crowd type guy. If you're winning he loves you and thinks you're PHENOMENAL, if you're losing he just sneers and jeers.

Well, the key thing for Rome is whether the person will go on his show. For years, K would not go on his show and Rome would speak derisively about K (Kruh--zoo-ski, or occasionally called him Qaddafi) and Duke (over-rated, fold up in the tournament, etc.).

Since K has gone on the show (this is the third time in the last 6 months I believe) Rome has treated him well.

Plenty of reasons not to like Rome, but he does a good interview.

stillcrazie
04-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Well, the key thing for Rome is whether the person will go on his show. For years, K would not go on his show and Rome would speak derisively about K (Kruh--zoo-ski, or occasionally called him Qaddafi) and Duke (over-rated, fold up in the tournament, etc.).

Since K has gone on the show (this is the third time in the last 6 months I believe) Rome has treated him well.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that he held a grudge that Krezooski had never come on his show. He did seem pretty respectful today, although for some reason, it irked me a little that he called him "Mike." As if they are on the same level.

roywhite
04-13-2010, 01:25 PM
Now that you mention it, I do remember that he held a grudge that Krezooski had never come on his show. He did seem pretty respectful today, although for some reason, it irked me a little that he called him "Mike." As if they are on the same level.

We talk about the Duke hatred tsunami, how to handle the haters, etc.

Coach K has made it a point to be more accessible to the media, including some of those he didn't care for. Good move IMO and it's had some benefit.

barjwr
04-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I will only listen to Jim Rome if he has Jim Everett on his show.

Don't you mean "Chris" Everett? :D

noyac
04-13-2010, 02:22 PM
I am not too happy I missed this interview...if anyone has a link to the audio it would be appreciated. When the show came on Rome said Coach K would be on at the top of the second hour to me that mean around 1:00-1:15 pm EST. All I head was a UFC guy and Rome kissing his butt.

It seems to me that Rome has learned his lesson from Chris Everett and when people are in studio with him he doesn't take any cheap shots. If they are on the phone that is a different story.

Big Pappa
04-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Is there a place I can listen to the interview in its entirety online?

left_hook_lacey
04-13-2010, 04:05 PM
Don't you mean "Chris" Everett? :D

Ha ha ha. I think Jim should ask him to come on Rome Is Burning for a reunion interview. Just think of the tension as Rome is give Everett his introduction, as the tension builds people will be wondering..."Is he going to do it again? is he really going to call him Chris?" and then I would die if he did...bwa ha ha ha! :p

Classof06
04-13-2010, 05:33 PM

Bingo. As a long-time Rome listener, once K started warming up to Rome and his show, the feeling was immediately mutual. Rome now speaks very, very highly of K and Duke.

When the brackets came out and everyone cried about Duke's region, Rome acknowledged the path looked easier but didn't really take the bait beyond that. In the past, he undoubtedly would have.

devildownunder
04-14-2010, 12:34 AM

Rome is a tool, or at least he was when I left the country three years ago, and I gather he hasn't changed much from what I've read here.

That opinion has nothing to do with his opinion of K or Duke, however.

I noticed back when I was listening to Rome that his opinions of sports figures had a lot to do with whether or not they agreed to be on his show. For example, he made a lot of fun of Duke and JJ until JJ did his show, and then he praised him and told everyone else to re-think their opinions of him. He was bashing Tiger long before it was popular, for what appeared to be the same reason. But that's just one of many things not to like about Rome.

devildownunder
04-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Bingo. As a long-time Rome listener, once K started warming up to Rome and his show, the feeling was immediately mutual. Rome now speaks very, very highly of K and Duke.

When the brackets came out and everyone cried about Duke's region, Rome acknowledged the path looked easier but didn't really take the bait beyond that. In the past, he undoubtedly would have.

Rack him! I should've read the thread first.

moonpie23
04-14-2010, 08:56 AM
rome has a brand of sarcasm that is best defined as being like scotch: it's an acquired taste.

i didn't really like him until i "got it".....once i "got it", i thought he was great....and other posters are right, he HAS developed a healthy respect for Coach K. I do remember in 01 that the day of the title game, he was going off on how great AZ was and their history and coach, and how awesome the players were......then he finished up saying something like, "it's too bad DUke is going to whack you tonight" (not in the hater sense, more like duke is just better)

he loves shane battier too...