PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Kentucky in Tuscaloosa

Channing
04-12-2010, 08:54 AM
I am going to be in Tuscaloosa for a wedding next weekend and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good BBQ joint down there, preferably one that has some sort of beef on the menu.

allenmurray
04-12-2010, 10:22 AM
I am going to be in Tuscaloosa for a wedding next weekend and was wondering if anyone can recommend a good BBQ joint down there, preferably one that has some sort of beef on the menu.

:confused: I though you wanted BBQ. You can't make BBQ out of beef. :eek:

Channing
04-12-2010, 10:31 AM
:confused: I though you wanted BBQ. You can't make BBQ out of beef. :eek:

try telling that to the good folks at Fox Bros here in atlanta :D

JBDuke
04-12-2010, 10:36 AM
As a reminder, barbecue discussions are ALWAYS on-topic. Even if we're talking heresy about beef barbecue in Alabama.

grounds0405
04-12-2010, 11:04 AM
To the detriment of my health, I love BBQ. My favorite style is Carolina pulled pork with the vinegar-based sauce. I've had to relocate to Alabama and have not found anything close down here. Alabamians swear by Dreamland BBQ, and their specialty is rack of ribs: beef ribs with a spicy tomato-based sauce. In T-town, I think that Dreamland is located somewhere along Macfarland Blvd. I think that the Tuscaloosa location is the original store, which has been around for over 50 years. Besides ribs, they will bring their BBQ sauce along with white bread (their version of chips and salsa, I suppose). I think they make good "wet" ribs, but I'll let you be the judge of that.

Olympic Fan
04-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Let me second the recommendation for Dreamland.

Absolutely the greatest ribs I've ever had in my life ... there's no second place.

But be aware, if you go to Dreamland, you WILL be ordering ribs. There is nothing else on the menu (at least there wasn't 11 years ago when I visited).

Yeah, it's been 11 years but I don't think a week goes by when I don't think about those ribs ... and as the name of the joint suggests, I dream of those ribs.

fan345678
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
As a reminder, barbecue discussions are ALWAYS on-topic. Even if we're talking heresy about beef barbecue in Alabama.

This might help clear things up about what is barbecue and where: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

AINMAN
04-12-2010, 12:19 PM
I am in Alabama, and if you have never been to Dreamland I would definately go. There are two locations in Tuscaloosa/Northport area (New one in Northport, original in Tuscaloosa). They do offer more than ribs at the Northport location. My personal favorite is the BBQ Chicken Sandwich, but if you're looking for beef, go with the ribs.

Also, Archibald's in Northport is incredible. It's not much on looks, but you will forget about that once you taste the bbq. I think they have been featured on ESPN Game Day a few times. Hope this helps.

allenmurray
04-12-2010, 12:23 PM
This might help clear things up about what is barbecue and where: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ubTQfr_tyY

I love that video. Every once in a while I'll play it and sing along, loudly and out of key. My family hates it.

Rhett and Link are correct when they say,

When my life is through,
Bury me in Bar-be-que,
But make sure its vinegar based,
Like them make in my home state

jdj4duke
04-12-2010, 12:49 PM
You might also enjoy "Barbeque" by Robert Earl Keen; although it is an ode to beef (I love brisket but default to pulled pork and pepper vinegar sauce) it does get to the heart slow-smoked meat as a cure for feeling puny.

wilson
04-12-2010, 01:07 PM

Absolutely the greatest ribs I've ever had in my life ... there's no second place.

But be aware, if you go to Dreamland, you WILL be ordering ribs. There is nothing else on the menu (at least there wasn't 11 years ago when I visited).

Yeah, it's been 11 years but I don't think a week goes by when I don't think about those ribs ... and as the name of the joint suggests, I dream of those ribs.Dreamland, Dreamland, Dreamland, end of story.
But there is one other thing besides ribs on the menu...banana pudding. It's also excellent.

Hectors Grease Fire
04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Can't go wrong with Dreamland.

Went there before a football game in the mid 90s. Still have sauce shipped north every summer. Atmosphere and tangy sauce carry the meal.

blueprofessor
04-12-2010, 01:45 PM

Yeah, it's been 11 years but I don't think a week goes by when I don't think about those ribs ... and as the name of the joint suggests, I dream of those ribs.

There are 8 locations and you can have ribs, pork, and sausage delivered.:D

Mobile and 7 more = Dreamland

Best regards--Blueprofessor

kinsman_bob
04-17-2010, 09:24 PM
Our friends who are native Alabamans say that Dreamland is the best.