PDA

View Full Version : Lost without basketball

BlueHeaven
04-10-2010, 10:45 PM
I know this isn't strictly game related, but is anyone else lost without any basketball to watch? I am, despite being giddy from the championship, finding myself without any structure to my day; nothing to plan around. I am always a little down at the end of the season, but it seems worse this year. Just sayin.

gumbomoop
04-10-2010, 11:00 PM
I know this isn't strictly game related, but is anyone else lost without any basketball to watch? I am, despite being giddy from the championship, finding myself without any structure to my day; nothing to plan around. I am always a little down at the end of the season, but it seems worse this year. Just sayin.

Well, quick, if you have Fox Sports South [DirecTV 646], check out 2d half of Nike Hoops Summit, with Kyrie and the 3 UNC recruits. All playing well. KI with amazing crossover into the lane, HB smooth, excellent, Bullock a shooter, and Marshall damn good passer.

DukeGirl4ever
04-10-2010, 11:21 PM

I hate the fact that CBB is over! I can't stand to watch the NBA and baseball isn't really interesting to me until August. I feel your pain and I feel like I have no structure to my day either.

I did have the luxury of watching some of the NCAA tourney games this week b/c our CBS college sports channel was broadcasting a lot of the games. That kept me entertained for a bit. But now I guess it's back to cleaning! I did watch New Moon tonight to pass the time. :eek: (I know, you all secretly want to watch it too :D)

Cameron
04-10-2010, 11:32 PM
Luckily I tape all of Duke's games (a sick person, I've been told, but have been doing so since I was 10:)), so I can relive the memories pretty much whenever. But I'll tell you what, no tape, even a national championship game win, can compare to watching Duke run out on that floor on a brand new night.

One-hundred-eighty-two days, ladies and gentleman, and our addictions will be fixed. Until then, I will count the amount of championships we have won since Carolina last played in the NCAAs. What a week. I wish it could be played over. One of the best I've ever experienced. It's amazing how fulfilling this has all been.

TallMan
04-10-2010, 11:38 PM
I was feeling so lost that I just re-watched the championship game. Even sweeter the second time around!

Ggallagher
04-10-2010, 11:56 PM
I needed a fix tonight so I watched the UNC game at Cameron again. Loved seeing that again.

And I had to smile when they cut away briefly during the second half of the game to show part of the Horizon League semifinal game. Butler was wrapping that game up, and the announcer mentioned that there were likely lots of teams pulling for Butler to win their tournament so they wouldn't knock someone else out of the tournament.

Didn't have a clue - not that any of us did.

terrih
04-11-2010, 12:48 AM
I can relate. However, of course, this year, I am not as lost. I am still basking in the glory of the teams win.

This is my first attempt at posting a picture, we will see if it works. This is screen capture from Duke Blue Planet (love that site). On the lower right side they have a countdown up to Midnight Madness already. At first glance it doesn't look so bad, but then you realize there is a 7 you can't see very easily!

Anyway, enjoy the win, the season, the National Championship, the memory of these wonderful Duke teammates and start the countdown to next season.

mo.st.dukie
04-11-2010, 01:53 AM
Luckily I tape all of Duke's games (a sick person, I've been told, but have been doing so since I was 10:)), so I can relive the memories pretty much whenever.

I started doing that during the 07-08 season. It's pretty cool to watch games from early on that season and then watch games from late this season and see the transformations in the players and the team as a whole. Also, I really enjoy re-watching games during the season and sort of breaking down the film (I really enjoy the strategy of the game) and picking up on things that I didn't see watching it live. It gives me a different perspective on the game.

MarkD83
04-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Luckily I tape all of Duke's games (a sick person, I've been told, but have been doing so since I was 10:)), so I can relive the memories pretty much whenever.

I have tapes back to 1985 so you are not that sick.

Cameron
04-11-2010, 01:17 PM
Haha, to both of you above. Makes me feel better:)

There were some girlfriends in the past that weren't as "comprehending" of the concept:D

DukeMom
04-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I sat down at the computer a few minutes ago and thought maybe I should start a thread about feeling a bit lost with no basketball to watch, and voila! I am not alone. I have watched the championship game a couple of times this week. So great. But it does seem a long way off until October. Sigh.:(

fgb
04-11-2010, 01:54 PM
i suffer from this every year, for a week or two after the final four. cbb postpartum.

fgb
04-11-2010, 01:55 PM
baseball does help, especially if you live in a mlb city.

basket1544
04-11-2010, 02:10 PM
I was sad to see baseball start at the beginning of this month because it means basketball will soon be over. Now that CBB is over I'm watching my DVR'ed games (not enough space to keep them all) and re-reading the latest Sports Illustrated.

fgb
04-11-2010, 02:17 PM
i will say this: going to an opening day game, then leaving the stadium after the game and walking to a bar to watch the national championship, is a very good day.

4decadedukie
04-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Fellow suffers, there is a good deal of quality college lacrosse during the next fifty days.

stillcrazie
04-11-2010, 03:16 PM
baseball does help, especially if you live in a mlb city.

Exactly what I do every year. I have a MLB team I've been following for many years and Durham Bulls games are extremely fun if you're in the Triangle. I have to say that the transition was actually easier for me in the past, when I wanted to get over a loss. I don't want to get over this season! So I check DBR obsessively, read every article I can, etc. I've also spent some time on dukeblueplanet.com and goduke.com downloading photos and experimenting with championship screensavers.

I also enjoy wearing my championship t-shirt on Franklin Street and at the Whole Foods in Chapel Hill.

BlueHeaven
04-11-2010, 05:57 PM
I feel better that I'm not alone:) I do love baseball, and my husband is a baseball addict, so at least, in a couple weeks when I've moved on, I have something to which to direct my energy. But still, it's nice to know we're among friends.

kinsman_bob
04-11-2010, 08:00 PM
I am so ready for the start of next season. I am still aglow from our time in Indianapolis, but I'm ready to go for next season. GO DUKE

Eckster
04-11-2010, 08:01 PM
I feel better that I'm not alone:) I do love baseball, and my husband is a baseball addict, so at least, in a couple weeks when I've moved on, I have something to which to direct my energy. But still, it's nice to know we're among friends.

Sorry, hate baseball so this time of year is a real letdown. NBA is only mildly interesting. Waiting for NFL draft and then football season in the fall. Until then, bored

LSanders
04-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Sorry, hate baseball so this time of year is a real letdown. NBA is only mildly interesting. Waiting for NFL draft and then football season in the fall. Until then, bored

I'm basically right there with you. I used to play tennis, so I do watch some of the major matches. Other than that, I'll tune in the NBA when it gets to the finals (maybe ... depending on who's in the finals) ... And, go do things other than watch sports.

jipops
04-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Luckily I'm a big nba fan so there isn't much of a downtime for me yet. Though it can be somewhat (ok very) predictable, the nba playoffs rarely lack drama.

ambitiouspear
04-12-2010, 12:23 AM
How much sweeter is this off-season than last year's!

I too have enjoyed re-watching the NC game. Makes me feel warm inside!

Does anyone how to make a HD quality recording of games? Is it possible to transfer the DVR recording on to a DVD or harddrive?

jdj4duke
04-12-2010, 10:25 AM
Does anyone how to make a HD quality recording of games? Is it possible to transfer the DVR recording on to a DVD or harddrive?

I have used this machine Sony VRD-MC6 to transfer DVR materials to DVD for personal use (with duly noted questions or concerns about transferring legally protected materials). The VRD has settings for various output DVD quality settings.

I have run into issues where some broadcast signals have a copy inhibitor built in, preventing copying of materials, but have not tried to pull the games off the DVR and don't know if they can be copied or not. In any case, the only other work around which might be ungainly and would certainly result in degradation of quality, would be to pull the programming through a VCR and then burn the DVD off the VCR playback.

The Sony machine noted is pretty handy, since you can input from a variety of sources, such as USB and SD cards, and can make photo slide shows, etc. It's the only device that I know of that can burn DVD straight off a DVR. It should cost under $200; I bought mine at Costco a while ago.

I know that there are some specialized hard drives that can be used as additional DVR storage units, but I have never used one and don't know how or if you can pull files off that drive directly.

dukee94
04-12-2010, 01:06 PM
How much sweeter is this off-season than last year's!

I too have enjoyed re-watching the NC game. Makes me feel warm inside!

The device I use for archiving games in HD is the Hauppage HD PVR 1212 (http://www.hauppauge.com/site/products/data_hdpvr.html). It is a hardware HD capture device that uses the component output from your DVR. It saves the capture as an H.264 AVCHD file that you can then use tools to edit out the commercials. You can burn to DVD or stream through a mediaserver and play on something like a PS3. It is definitely not for the technically timid, though.