PDA

View Full Version : MLAX: Duke 13, Virginia 9

4decadedukie
04-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Next Saturday, Duke plays a key Men's Lacrosse game against #1 Virginia (8:30 PM, ESPNU). This is our team final contest before the ACC Tournament (as always, the four ACC teams are highly regarded -- excellence against UMd, UVa and UNC will be critical to our NCAA seeding). After a slow season start, Duke now has eight consecutive victories (including nationally-ranked Loyola, Georgetown, Harvard and Brown). This match is likely to be worth watching (or attending).

4decadedukie
04-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Bumping this only because this is a key game and because Saturday is proximate.

Eckster
04-17-2010, 06:19 PM
Here's to 9 straight! Go Devils!

chrishoke
04-17-2010, 07:16 PM
The bewitching hour is nearing. Let's go Devils.

DueBlevil
04-17-2010, 10:45 PM
duke wins 13-9!

Capn Poptart
04-17-2010, 10:51 PM
This has been a terrific year to be a Duke alumnus residing in the Commonwealth.

We beat the Wahoos in football.
We beat them in men's basketball.
We beat them in women's basketball.
We beat them in men's lacrosse.

I love spanking Virginia heiny. And football even has a 2-game winning streak going. :D

4decadedukie
04-17-2010, 10:53 PM
A great win for Duke in Charlottesville against #1 ranked UVa. Both teams played well; in my opinion, however, the defense provided by our midfielders, our aggressive attack-focused offense, winning the face-off and ground-ball wars, combined with several key UVa turnovers was crucial. Our Blue Devils have come a LONG way since February.

Up next, the ACC Tournament, with all four clubs highly ranked.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Huge win, especially on the road. We're peaking at the right time. Great job on faceoffs. Go Duke!

burnspbesq
04-17-2010, 10:57 PM
Very impressive performance. Control the tempo and take what the defense gives you. Superb midfield defense by Costabile, Montelli, Tripucka and others. And absolute dominance on face-offs in the second half.

Let's do it again next Friday night in the ACC Tournament at Murlund.

Greg_Newton
04-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Hah, wow. I suppose this explains the dirty looks I was getting yesterday wearing a Virginia lax shirt around the Yoh building. Subtlety and timing have never been my strong points... :rolleyes:

Congrats to the Devils, even at the expense of the ol' alma mater!

SmartDevil
04-18-2010, 02:08 AM
How will this victory affect our poll ranking? How will this affect our upcoming seeding(s) ?

greybeard
04-18-2010, 03:00 AM
I thought that Va was best team going in/ the twins in mid, andStandoski at attack, I thought that they really had a tremendous core to build offense and transition game around. Great win for Duke. Great!

Must continue to improve in half court offense--getting what want without allowing runouts. I think that to win the national championship a team needs that game. At least once in the tournament, it will have to play significant minutes occupying the defense, missing on purpose to change point of attack, having key athletic mids in position to guard run outs, and taking shots with defense packed back but ball movement creates creases.

Scoring and stopping easy chances when you miss in one or two tournament games a must to win it all. Or maybe not. :o Real nice win!

4decadedukie
04-18-2010, 06:35 AM
Hah, wow. I suppose this explains the dirty looks I was getting yesterday wearing a Virginia lax shirt around the Yoh building. Subtlety and timing have never been my strong points... :rolleyes:
!

Here's a friendly suggestion: (a) either give the shirt to the Salvation Army or (b) don't wear it again next Friday -- when we again play UVa (this time in the ACC Tournament).
:D

4decadedukie
04-18-2010, 06:46 AM
How will this victory affect our poll ranking? How will this affect our upcoming seeding(s) ?

This is personal speculation only, however, I believe Duke may move up one spot in next week's poll (which really doesn't mean anything substantive). With regard to seedings: (1) no impact on the ACC Tournament (we have UVa next Friday in College Park), but (2) potentially, some impact in the NCAAs (there, our seeding is likely to be much more determined by team performances in the impending ACC Tourney).

For example, were we to again defeat UVa and then beat the winner of UNC-UMd to win the ACC Championship, we would be 11 straight with many March/April "quality wins." This might well result in a #1 NCAA seed. Whereas, were UVa to hammer Duke next Friday (Heaven forbid), I would presume we'd receive a #2 seed.

roywhite
04-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Not a hard-core fan, but I saw most of the second half. Very impressive win! The 'Hoos and their fans didn't look too happy.

chrishoke
04-18-2010, 09:47 AM
Great win. Our dominance at the X was the key, and we did it with our best faceoff man, Sam Peyton not playing.

blueprofessor
04-18-2010, 10:17 AM
Great win. Our dominance at the X was the key, and we did it with our best faceoff man, Sam Peyton not playing.

Amen. 10/12 face offs won in 2nd half.

More hustle indicators: Duke 31-23 on ground balls. 16-5 in 2nd half!

Prob largest crowd ever at Klockner.
We need to improve in extra -man opps.

12th straight win vs. UVA; last 3 when UVA was top ranked.

2nd half can be a great momentum builder for ACC tourney and for NCAA matchups.

Congrats, Laxers! Best--Blueprofessor :)

MCFinARL
04-18-2010, 12:56 PM
This is personal speculation only, however, I believe Duke may move up one spot in next week's poll (which really doesn't mean anything substantive). With regard to seedings: (1) no impact on the ACC Tournament (we have UVa next Friday in College Park), but (2) potentially, some impact in the NCAAs (there, our seeding is likely to be much more determined by team performances in the impending ACC Tourney).

For example, were we to again defeat UVa and then beat the winner of UNC-UMd to win the ACC Championship, we would be 11 straight with many March/April "quality wins." This might well result in a #1 NCAA seed. Whereas, were UVa to hammer Duke next Friday (Heaven forbid), I would presume we'd receive a #2 seed.

Well, but there aren't regional seeds in Lacrosse--only one #1 and 1 #2. If we lose to UVA next Friday, at least Syracuse and UNC (unless they lose to the Terps, and maybe even if they do) would most likely be ahead us, and UVA probably would stay ahead as well. Maryland, maybe or maybe not. But I don't see Duke being considered for a #1 or #2 seed unless we win the ACC tournament.

On another note--I take a perverse pleasure in noting that, once again, Ken Clausen played a subpar game against Duke, letting Crotty get away from him several times. Could it be the karma of decommitting from Duke in 2006?

wallyman
04-18-2010, 01:23 PM

Anyone know why he didn't play and if this is an issue beyond this game?
Great win.

MCFinARL
04-18-2010, 01:28 PM
Anyone know why he didn't play and if this is an issue beyond this game?
Great win.

Game commentators said he has a foot injury, but didn't provide any details about what kind and how long it's likely to affect him.

roywhite
04-18-2010, 01:52 PM
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-04-18/sports/bs-sp-loyola-georgetown-lacrosse-0417-20100418_1_loyola-men-s-lacrosse-travis-comeau-loyola-senior-defenseman

Collin Finnerty played well for Loyola in a win over Georgetown yesterday. That's been a full four years since the false accusations and the whole Nifong saga. Collin is a captain of the Loyola team; wish him well.

Indoor66
04-18-2010, 02:47 PM
http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2010-04-18/sports/bs-sp-loyola-georgetown-lacrosse-0417-20100418_1_loyola-men-s-lacrosse-travis-comeau-loyola-senior-defenseman

Collin Finnerty played well for Loyola in a win over Georgetown yesterday. That's been a full four years since the false accusations and the whole Nifong saga. Collin is a captain of the Loyola team; wish him well.

It is hard to believe that it is now four years since that horrible episode. It seems like yesterday....

chrishoke
04-18-2010, 03:57 PM
It is hard to believe that it is now four years since that horrible episode. It seems like yesterday....

It does seem like yesterday. By the way, Loyola is very good - top ten. I'm very happy for Collin.

4decadedukie
04-18-2010, 06:39 PM

He did play well and he is a fine young man!

MCFinARL
04-19-2010, 10:38 AM
He did play well and he is a fine young man!

When Duke played Loyola in an early round tournament game in Koskinen two years ago, the Duke fans applauded Colin heartily, both when he was introduced and when he scored. It was a nice gesture (though perhaps not surprising since I'm sure some of them knew Colin--it was the weekend he would have been graduating from Duke).

blueprofessor
04-19-2010, 11:49 AM
When Duke played Loyola in an early round tournament game in Koskinen two years ago, the Duke fans applauded Colin heartily, both when he was introduced and when he scored. It was a nice gesture (though perhaps not surprising since I'm sure some of them knew Colin--it was the weekend he would have been graduating from Duke).

It was May 10,2008.
After the game, Duke seniors,as was the custom for their last game ever at Koskinen, posed for a photo... but they ran and collected Finnerty (who had scored 3 goals that day and who is in 2010 a finalist for the Tewaaraton,while serving as Loyola's captain) to be in the official photo with them.

Very touching and most appropriate.:)

Best regards--Blueprofessor

nyesq83
04-19-2010, 12:10 PM
It does seem like yesterday. By the way, Loyola is very good - top ten. I'm very happy for Collin.

It seems like today, to me, since the lawsuits are crawling along while the guilty and the incompetent die, get promoted, move on to better positions, or remain in their places as if they did nothing wrong.

MCFinARL
04-19-2010, 12:42 PM
It was May 10,2008.
After the game, Duke seniors,as was the custom for their last game ever at Koskinen, posed for a photo... but they ran and collected Finnerty (who had scored 3 goals that day and who is in 2010 a finalist for the Tewaaraton,while serving as Loyola's captain) to be in the official photo with them.

Very touching and most appropriate.:)

Best regards--Blueprofessor

Yes it is. Thanks for sharing.