PDA

View Full Version : Nolan's legacy.... Duke movie??

hedevil
04-10-2010, 02:02 AM
I have two questions for the board. These should probably be on two different threads, but I don't want to take over the board (smiling).
First, what do you think Nolan's legacy (career) would be remembered as at Duke if they were to repeat next year (you can take Kyle into account if you think he's returning). Assuming Kyle doesn't return, Nolan would be the largest common factor on those back to back teams. I'm not underestimating what Dawkins and the Plumlees contributed this year, or what they will contribute next year, I'm just pointing out that when you think of this championship team it's obvious how big a role Nolan played. Of the three S's he may be the only one returning which would make his role that much greater. He will be expected to provide senior leadership, be a vocal leader, and bring some poise when the pressure mounts in certain game situations. The last time Duke repeated (91-92), there were three key players to carry them. If they can do it again, I will see Nolan as the key common factor between this years' NC and next years' title. I assume back to backs couldn't hurt his draft stock either.;)

Though completely irrelevant, my second question is, when does the movie come out? Obviously this story is far from over, however, I can't help but think that there should be a movie in the making someday. IMHO Duke basketball under coach K has got to be "one of" the greatest sports stories and programs in the history of sports in terms of success and the duration of that success. We have Glory Road, Blind Side, We are Marshall, etc.. I'd like to see one about coach K (the person and the coach) and the 4 to 8 time National Champion Duke Blue Devils.

Thoughts?

lpd1982
04-10-2010, 06:47 AM
My thoughts after the Championship game was that the movie should be "Nolan's Story" - All of the details here are those Nolan has shared publicly , so my thoughts are meant respectfully.

Dad arriving at Louisville with possessions in a bag
Incredibly talented, respectful and well liked individual while playing at Louisville
Championship hero 30 years ago
Meets and marries loving wife
NBA Career and injury
Loving father
Coaching career
Nolan at NBA practices with Dad as a boy
Nolan on cruise with Dad
Nolan throwing basketball overboard and disucssion with dad
Nolan's dad's tragic passing
NBA players taking over father role of Nolan-especially playing ball
Johnny Dawkin's infuence
Clips of Nolan developing into high school talent
Great mom and sis
Nolan wrestling with Duke/Lousiville decision
Adjustment to Duke
Concusssion
Amazing summer improvement
The incredible year that was
Nolan's 29 point game to get to Final Four
National Championship 30 years later in same town as his Dad

Role the credits, wipe the tears. They don't write them better than real life.

hedevil
04-10-2010, 02:00 PM
ipd1982- Agreed. Nolan's life and achievements would also make a great story.

Nolan is going to play such a crucial role on next years' team. I'm just grateful that he's coming back to provide some leadership to this team. We have question marks on just about everyone coming in or coming back next year, but Nolan will be the one component that we don't have to speculate on what he can bring. Obviously the same is true for Kyle if he returns.

RoyalBlue08
04-10-2010, 02:07 PM
I like the Nolan movie idea, and done right and well written I think it could be successful. The story is there. As far as Nolan's legacy, I think this hasn't gotten enough attention yet. And a lot of it depends on his senior year. I know K is on the record as saying he thinks Nolan has tons more room to grow as a player. IF that occurs over the off season, and he has a 1st team All-American type year, he has the chance to go down as one of the all time Duke greats. And at this point, I'm would never bet against this kid!

basket1544
04-10-2010, 03:44 PM
And the greatest thing about Nolan's Story? It ain't over yet! I love this kid. He embraces everything it means to be a student-athlete. I love his behind the scenes videos with his teammates. He's going to be a great leader next year.

DukeUsul
04-10-2010, 03:58 PM
Nolan's clearly got the acting chops to play himself in the film!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDOiepXscaw

hedevil
04-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I just checked out that video. HAHAHA!! Good stuff. Kyle can't keep a straight face. Looks like Nolan and Dre should have pretty good chemistry this coming season.lol

licc85
04-12-2010, 03:15 PM
i dunno about a movie . . nolan's certainly gone through a lot, but enough for a movie that everyone would want to see (esp non-duke fans)? probably not. I'd LOVE to see a sports documentary about him though. Maybe an ESPN 30 for 30 director will take this story and make it happen.

HCheek37
04-12-2010, 04:05 PM
while a movie would be pretty interesting....i think i'll "settle" for the memory of the real story itself. this last month has been an amazing ride and I doubt a movie could recreate the passion this team played with, or the "team aspect" Duke had this year...

diveonthefloor
04-16-2010, 07:18 PM
The more I think about Nolan's entire story beginning many years before he was even born......

this is as good or even better a story than The Rookie, The Blind Side, and the new movie about the little league Mexican team "The Perfect Game".

It has all the ingredients....tragedy, love, romance (Nolan's parents), hard work--paying off in the end....and a happy ending...

This is actually a no-brainer script for a good movie.
I can't believe that someone in Hollywood isn't aware of the story.

OldPhiKap
04-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Nolan's story is just beginning. He has many championship opportunities (one more college, many more pro) ahead of him.

It is a great story to complete the cycle with his dad and Indy, but I hope there are many more highlights and peaks in that young man's future.