PDA

View Full Version : Biblical takes on Duke's title?

WillJ
04-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I have a friend, a big Michigan fan, who described Duke's title in the following terms: I watched as he opened the sixth seal. There was a great earthquake. The sun turned black like sackcloth made of goat hair, the whole moon turned blood red, and the stars in the sky fell to earth, as late figs drop from a fig tree when shaken by a strong wind. The sky receded like a scroll, rolling up, and every mountain and island was removed ... See Morefrom its place. Then the kings of the earth, the princes, the generals, the rich, the mighty and every slave and every free man hid in caves and among the rocks of the mountains. They called to the mountains and the rocks. "Fall on us and hide us from the face of him who sits on the throne and from the wrath of the Lamb!" Revelations 6:12-16

Here was my response:

"And then sunshine spread upon the valley, shedding beautiful light upon that which had been a pale shade of blue. Only in the far north, in the bitter, bitter cold, did darkness, a particular shade of dark blue, continue to rule. And people there asked unto the power, "Why not us?" and, while silent, he seemed to say to them, as he pulled his Duke title shirt over his head, thou are not worthy."

Anyone have an old testament take on the title?

roywhite
04-09-2010, 10:20 PM
In recent years, there has been an Exodus of fans supporting Duke, in fact great Numbers of them. What the Genesis of this is, I don't know. Reasonable Judges of sports should support Duke, and ignore the Lamentations of their neighbors from Chapel Hill.

COYS
04-09-2010, 11:35 PM
In recent years, there has been an Exodus of fans supporting Duke, in fact great Numbers of them. What the Genesis of this is, I don't know. Reasonable Judges of sports should support Duke, and ignore the Lamentations of their neighbors from Chapel Hill.

As someone who studied the Hebrew Bible for my undergrad independent work, I give this post gets my vote for post of the week. I would add one more sentence, perhaps, if I may. The media should not deign to attack Duke basketball but studiously Chronicle the rich lore of Duke and write Psalms of praise to the Kings of the sport in dark blue . . . such as Hurley, Hill, Battier, Redick, Scheyer, etc. and, of course, K Himself.

For the record, my sentence is not nearly as good.

WillJ
04-10-2010, 05:35 AM

Very nice!

DevilWearsPrada
04-10-2010, 10:34 AM
AMEN

fan345678
04-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Mordecai left the king's presence wearing royal garments of blue and white, a large crown of gold and a purple robe of fine linen. And the city of Susa held a joyous celebration. (Esther 8:15 NIV)

LSanders
04-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Ode to 2010:

But they mocked [K's] messengers, despised his words and scoffed at his prophets until the wrath of the [Devils] was aroused against his [team] and there was no remedy. (2 Chronicles 36:16, NIV)

--------------------------------

As this thread doth replenish my spirit, I was bade to wander into the den of IC to allow our Baby Blue brethren an opportunity to continue this discourse, to wit:

What if instead of Twitter, all we had was Tweeter. And instead of it being some kind of text thing, it was just a bird that tweets all the time. That would be cool.

On second thought ... Never mind ...

bulldog44
04-10-2010, 01:37 PM
Special thanks to of course GOD and Johnny Cash ( awesome song if you haven't heard it, When the man comes around )

And I heard, as it were, the noise of thunder before tip off : One of the four coaches saying: "Come and see." And I saw. And behold, a Blue Devil.

There's a man goin' 'round winnin' games.
An' he decides who to play and who to train.
Everybody won't be treated all the same.
There'll be a golden opportunity going down.
When Coach K comes around.

The hairs on your arm will stand up.
At the wonder in each shot thats put up.
For fear in the halfcourt taken by the Butler pup,
Ease as it disappears into the gym's ground.

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers.
One hundred million crazies singin'.
Multitudes are marching to the Blue Devil drum.
Knight is callin', Tarholes cryin'.
Careers are born an' some are dyin'.
It's Coach K and Duke's Kingdom come.

And the champions are in Cameron.
The seniors are all trimming their nets.
It's hard for whomever Duke plays next.

Till the final buzzer, no Shalam, no Shalom.
Then the coach will call his players home.
The wise men will bow down before the throne.
And at his feet they'll cast their golden crown.

Whoever is a skeptic, let him be a skeptic still.
Whoever is a Dukie, let him be a Dukie still.
Whoever is filthy, let him be a Tarhole still.
Listen to the words long written down,
You will lose when Coach K comes around.

Hear the trumpets, hear the pipers.
One hundred million crazies singin'.
Multitudes are marching to the Blue Devil drum.
Knight is callin', Tarholes cryin'.
Careers are born an' some are dyin'.
It's Coach K and Duke's Kingdom come.

The seniors are all trimming their nets.
It's hard for whomever Duke plays next.

In measured multiple rings and championship crowns.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four teams,
And I looked and behold: a Blue Devil.
And his name, that sat on him, was Coach K.
And victory followed with him.

bulldog44
04-10-2010, 08:52 PM
here is the link for the original song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10O9kUCAv40

Enjoy

bulldog44
04-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Another great version with good historical pictures

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7A-Vq2CslM

Devilsfan
04-12-2010, 11:18 AM
How about Jon (Scheyer) leading us into the promised land as Passover ends.

lmb
04-12-2010, 12:12 PM
Bulldog44 - this is awesome! I've always loved that song but I think your version is better.

bulldog44
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Bulldog44 - this is awesome! I've always loved that song but I think your version is better.

HA HA Thanks my friend. I don't know if mine is better, the real song's message is MUCH more important and Johnny Cash just kicks....well you know :D