PDA

View Full Version : Report card reveals final grades By Doug Gottlieb

rhcpflea99
04-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Duke: (35-5, 13-3) -- Grade: A+ If Butler's last-second shot goes in, Coach K is vilified. But we deal with results, and Duke had it. ACC regular-season co-champs, Duke invitational champs (ACC tourney) and NCAA champs. Congrats.

At least he congratulated Duke.

Duvall
04-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Duke: (35-5, 13-3) -- Grade: A+ If Butler's last-second shot goes in, Coach K is vilified. But we deal with results, and Duke had it. ACC regular-season co-champs, Duke invitational champs (ACC tourney) and NCAA champs. Congrats.

Does this mean we can stop being alarmed by their unathleticism now?

BD80
04-09-2010, 07:23 PM
An ESPN insider article :mad:

Who got the F- ?

Did ol' roy pull up his grade with the extra credit (NIT runner-up)?

rhcpflea99
04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
An ESPN insider article :mad:

Who got the F- ?

Did ol' roy pull up his grade with the extra credit (NIT runner-up)?

Not according to Doug "the credit card" Gottlieb

North Carolina: (20-17, 5-11) -- Grade: D Ole Roy struggled with this team, and the NIT final appearance does not erase the horror of the ACC run. This team was not healthy and should be far better next season, but the lack of effort in some games hurts UNC's grade the most.

Of course WV lost not because of Duke, because WV didn't play defense according to Doug. I thought WV played good defense just shots were falling for Duke.
West Virginia: (31-7, 13-5) -- Grade: A The Mountaineers won the Big East tournament and got better every game. Inexplicably, they took a game off defensively versus Duke in the NCAAs when the Blue Devils brought their A game.

DevilHorns
04-09-2010, 07:54 PM
Not according to Doug "the credit card" Gottlieb

North Carolina: (20-17, 5-11) -- Grade: D Ole Roy struggled with this team, and the NIT final appearance does not erase the horror of the ACC run. This team was not healthy and should be far better next season, but the lack of effort in some games hurts UNC's grade the most.

Of course WV lost not because of Duke, because WV didn't play defense according to Doug. I thought WV played good defense just shots were falling for Duke.
West Virginia: (31-7, 13-5) -- Grade: A The Mountaineers won the Big East tournament and got better every game. Inexplicably, they took a game off defensively versus Duke in the NCAAs when the Blue Devils brought their A game.

So who got the F- then? I can't think of any team that underperformed as much as UNC did? Maybe Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, or Gtown with their early tourney exits?. Hmm... it has to be a preseason top 25 that just completely lost its way.... outside of Carolina, maybe Uconn, maybe Texas?

greybeard
04-09-2010, 08:02 PM
Before ACC tournament, Gottlieb said on I think it was Mike and Mike in the morning that Scheyer should do no worse than co POTY in the ACC with Greivis, and that he was his, Gottlieb's favorite for the Cousy award, as the best point guard in the United States of America.

He was unequivocal. He also spoke with depth and conviction during the Dance about what he saw in Duke and was unabashedly enthusiastic on them to take it all going into the final four.

His positions were well thought out, especially with regard to Scheyer. He definitely saw tremendous value in Zoubek and did not stop with the usual one-sentence blather that he was doing a great job on the offensive board.

Nope, during the tournament, Doug Gottlieb was the Head who was seeing most clearly who Duke wass and what it was capable of. Once they got to the final four, he was all over Duke as the likely winner.

Find somebody else to kick around, at least for a while. The guy did right by you guys.

chrisheery
04-09-2010, 08:11 PM
I'd like a report card on Gottleib for the year.

What was his record on predicting outcomes of games? How often did he analyze a game incorrectly?

I'll put him at C-. And that's only because he's trying so hard to fit in like a nerd at lunchtime. Digger's as much of a fool, but at least he won as a coach. DG is just a never was.

DevilHorns
04-09-2010, 08:13 PM

What was his record on predicting outcomes of games? How often did he analyze a game incorrectly?

I'll put him at C-. And that's only because he's trying so hard to fit in like a nerd at lunchtime. Digger's as much of a fool, but at least he won as a coach. DG is just a never was.

I think Digger called his last 6 games leading up to the championship wrong (Final four, and all of the Elite 8). He did however pick Duke in the championship.

DevilHorns
04-09-2010, 08:15 PM

Fascinating idea actually! I think there should be a blogger or an amateur journalist who writes an article assessing the performance of big time ESPN "experts." I would read it.

roywhite
04-09-2010, 08:18 PM
So who got the F- then? I can't think of any team that underperformed as much as UNC did? Maybe Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, or Gtown with their early tourney exits?. Hmm... it has to be a preseason top 25 that just completely lost its way.... outside of Carolina, maybe Uconn, maybe Texas?

A defending national champion that sets the record for most losses in subsequent season---UNC.

A team picked in the Top 10 or Top 5 nationally goes 16-16 in the regular season---UNC

A team picked to tie for 1st in their conference but finishes 10th---UNC.

What's it take to give out the F, Professor Dougie?

chrisheery
04-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Before ACC tournament, Gottlieb said on I think it was Mike and Mike in the morning that Scheyer should do no worse than co POTY in the ACC with Greivis, and that he was his, Gottlieb's favorite for the Cousy award, as the best point guard in the United States of America.

He was unequivocal. He also spoke with depth and conviction during the Dance about what he saw in Duke and was unabashedly enthusiastic on them to take it all going into the final four.

His positions were well thought out, especially with regard to Scheyer. He definitely saw tremendous value in Zoubek and did not stop with the usual one-sentence blather that he was doing a great job on the offensive board.

Nope, during the tournament, Doug Gottlieb was the Head who was seeing most clearly who Duke wass and what it was capable of. Once they got to the final four, he was all over Duke as the likely winner.

Find somebody else to kick around, at least for a while. The guy did right by you guys.

Gotta be honest. Never heard him say anything like that. I am amazed that he did and impressed. Not sure it undies all the other half baked "analysis" he has done in the past, but it's a start.

roywhite
04-09-2010, 08:21 PM
Fascinating idea actually! I think there should be a blogger or an amateur journalist who writes an article assessing the performance of big time ESPN "experts." I would read it.

Rudy Martzke used to grade announcers and analysts regularly for USA Today, but has since retired. His comments were widely read, and he wasn't afraid to give out some harsh criticism.

To my knowledge, no columnist or commentator since has filled that role of grading the graders.

brevity
04-09-2010, 08:35 PM

Close with that last guess... try Oklahoma. Rival school for OSU alum Gottlieb, with a Duke connection to boot.

Honestly though, if you were to make a list of schools that have lost their way but are unlikely to change coaches, you could argue that Oklahoma belongs at the top of that list.

azazel
04-10-2010, 03:40 PM
I wonder if there's a team that recently went to 3 consecutive final fours and lost by 27 this year to a relative unknown from the west coast conference...

hood7
04-10-2010, 04:07 PM
A couple points on Doug G.

Calling him a "never was" is just wrong. He lead the nation in assists while a PG at Oklahoma State. You have to understand basketball pretty well to lead the nation in assists. I am not a big fan of Gottlieb, but I do think he understands hoops.

My problem with Gottlieb is his willingness to buy into the ridiculous myth of Duke getting beneficial treatment from the refs. It was just a couple weeks ago he was on Mike and Mike spouting some of the most insane conspiracy theory jibberish I've ever heard (refs give K the calls in the hopes that he'll hire them for exhibition games? eh?). I hope someday he'll see clearly enough to be embarrassed by that nonsense.

In spite of him carrying a Duke-gets-all-the-calls membership card, I generally find him to be a good basketball analyst (when not discussing Duke).

dukemsu
04-10-2010, 04:47 PM
DG knows he's a B Teamer at ESPN, and that's not going to change.

He won't be moving up to take Digger's seat whenever it is that Phelps decides to call it a career. That will go to a retiring coach or someone with a big name.

To maintain a profile and keep any role, he has to be a bomb-thrower that infuriates fanbases. It's his MO and a pretty transparent one at that. So he says ridiculous things that make people angry.

His radio show literally makes my ears bleed. He is trying to go the Cowherd route-not talk about sports but rather talk pop culture and tell stories about his kids. Painful to listen to.

dukemsu

PADukeMom
04-10-2010, 05:03 PM
I stopped listening to doug Gottlieb a long time ago.

House G
04-10-2010, 05:14 PM

Calling him a "never was" is just wrong. He lead the nation in assists while a PG at Oklahoma State. You have to understand basketball pretty well to lead the nation in assists. I am not a big fan of Gottlieb, but I do think he understands hoops.

My problem with Gottlieb is his willingness to buy into the ridiculous myth of Duke getting beneficial treatment from the refs. It was just a couple weeks ago he was on Mike and Mike spouting some of the most insane conspiracy theory jibberish I've ever heard (refs give K the calls in the hopes that he'll hire them for exhibition games? eh?). I hope someday he'll see clearly enough to be embarrassed by that nonsense.

In spite of him carrying a Duke-gets-all-the-calls membership card, I generally find him to be a good basketball analyst (when not discussing Duke).
I agree. One morning Coach K is on Mike and Mike. The next day DG is on the same show discussing what he termed the "Krzyzewski Effect". He may be a decent analyst but I still think he is a tool.http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?p=32833

WordLife565
04-10-2010, 06:21 PM

He also led Notre Dame in stolen credit cards.

miramar
04-10-2010, 06:31 PM
He also led Notre Dame in stolen credit cards.

Is he the only guard in NCAA history to lead one team in assists and another team in steals?

Devilsfan
04-10-2010, 07:44 PM
Great post!

muzikfrk75
04-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Overall I think Gottlieb is ok, don't have a huge problem with him.

When this year's brackets came out he picked Duke to lose to Kansas in the NC game.

BTW, for Butler:

'Butler: (33-5, 18-0) -- Grade: A+ A dream season that the Bulldogs could try to duplicate. Generally, that is a difficult thing to do. Avery Jukes and Willie Veasley are gone, maybe Gordon Hayward and coach Brad Stevens are, too. However, instead of what might be, let's appreciate what was … amazing.'