PDA

View Full Version : Did Hayward even get the shot off in time?

cptnflash
04-09-2010, 12:25 AM
Obviously it's academic at this point, but I'm not sure he actually beat the clock. Check out page 45 in Sports Illustrated. You can clearly see that the ball is still in his hand with 00.1 left on the clock. He's in his shooting motion and about to release the ball, but we're talking one tenth of a second... it's entirely possible that that last tenth ticked off before the ball left his hand. I've watched video replays of the shot many times now and I honestly can't tell. There aren't any particularly good slow motion camera angles that include both the shot and the clock, at least not that I can find. If someone has a video that they believe is conclusive, I'd love to see it.

Had the shot fallen, this obviously would have been reviewed for a long, long time before the refs made a decision. I'm so glad it didn't come to that!

BoozerWasFouled
04-09-2010, 02:08 AM
I saw that and thought the same thing. I don't think he did.

devildownunder
04-09-2010, 02:33 AM
Obviously it's academic at this point, but I'm not sure he actually beat the clock. Check out page 45 in Sports Illustrated. You can clearly see that the ball is still in his hand with 00.1 left on the clock. He's in his shooting motion and about to release the ball, but we're talking one tenth of a second... it's entirely possible that that last tenth ticked off before the ball left his hand. I've watched video replays of the shot many times now and I honestly can't tell. There aren't any particularly good slow motion camera angles that include both the shot and the clock, at least not that I can find. If someone has a video that they believe is conclusive, I'd love to see it.

Had the shot fallen, this obviously would have been reviewed for a long, long time before the refs made a decision. I'm so glad it didn't come to that!

I doubt they would've reviewed it at all. I think there would've been a mob scene on the floor and we would've got hosed. Or at the very least, there is a good chance we would've got hosed. And that's exactly why I'm glad K tried to end that thing as soon as possible. There was a lot working against us.

4decadedukie
04-09-2010, 02:39 AM
I am fairly certain his shot would have counted, having left Hayward's hands before time expired. I base this on my TiVo reviews -- at least five, and at the slowest possible replay speed -- that clearly show the ball was airborne before the red backboard time-expiration light was illuminated. Believe me, I wanted the shot to be fully-away after the game ended (for obvious reasons); however, I believe it was a legitimate in-play attempt (WHICH MOST-FORTUNATELY WAS UNSUCCESSFUL).

grateful_duke
04-09-2010, 04:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmW988_5Jg&feature=related

Watch in HD, it would have counted. Which makes it a better ending anyways...

snowdenscold
04-09-2010, 05:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDmW988_5Jg&feature=related

Watch in HD, it would have counted. Which makes it a better ending anyways...

You can't tell whether the TV time is the same as the clock in the stadium, but I would assume they are somehow linked to where there is no difference. If that's the case, this video definitely has the ball out of his hands at the 0.1 mark.