PDA

View Full Version : Grass roots campaign

MarkD83
04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
I just received my Sports Illustrated and my ESPN The Magazine today. The SI cover and article were wonderful.

ESPN The Magazine did not have a single article about college basketball. There wasn't even an article about the UConn women or Butler.

I am canceling my subscription.

By the way this is what I wrote to them:

"I would like to cancel my subscription to ESPN The Magazine. I just received the magazine today along with my Sports Illustrated. After a wonderful run by Butler to the final game of the NCAA tournament, the second undefeated season by the UConn's women's basketball team and our US olympic coach winning a fourth NCAA title, there was not even one article about college basketball. The closest article I saw was about college's changing mascots. How can you claim to be a sports magazine. The contrast with SI and ESPN the magazine is striking and you are not on the good side of this contrast."

Duvall
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
I just received my Sports Illustrated and my ESPN The Magazine today. The SI cover and article were wonderful.

ESPN The Magazine did not have a single article about college basketball. There wasn't even an article about the UConn women or Butler.

Why now? Was there a time when ESPN the Magazine *wasn't* terrible?

alteran
04-08-2010, 07:50 PM

Way ahead of you.

I don't even watch ESPN unless Duke is playing.

Cameron
04-08-2010, 07:57 PM
Canceled ESPN The Mag in like '04. It's VH1 on cardboard paper.

Dirty on the hands and sucks.

GoingFor#5
04-08-2010, 08:05 PM
How do you just ignore a national championship?

BoC
04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
ESPN the Magazine is nothing more than a very efficient advertisement delivery device.

My dad received that mag for several months for free one time, they just started showing up. I thumbed through one issue and counted up the ratio of ads to content and, even though I can't remember the results, it was pathetic. And I counted the many silly little lists and blurbs as content.

Seriously, it was like the magazine was put out by MTV or something. (edit: just saw your VH1 comment, Cameron. Argh!)

I know publications like that are all about ad revenue, but that magazine took it to a ridiculous extreme.

Merlindevildog91
04-08-2010, 08:24 PM
as a Saints fan, I eagerly awaited this year's post-Super Bowl edition of ESPN the Rag. Still waiting for an article on Who Dat Nation, or Drew Brees, or even Brett Favre's pass in the NFC Championship.

Probably time for me to cancel, too.

Cameron
04-08-2010, 08:26 PM
You think ESPN would treat its golden child with a little respect in the company's mag. We MAKE ESPN's basketball season.

Duke Mom
04-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Funny...I've never seen the magazine, but was thinking today how lousy I thought ESPN television was. All those desks and not so interesting guys in suits. PTI is amusing, but not much else IMO.

Seems to me there's a real void on television and an opportunity if someone had a vision for a terrific sports channel. Maybe a combination of HBO sports - love those Rick Bernstein & Ross Greenberg sports documentaries (Magic & Bird, etc.) and Real Sports (Bryant Gumbel) tells some great human interest stories - and a pinch of ESPN - live coverage of pro games, college games, interviews, etc. Unless there are channels I'm not aware of, doesn't seem to be anything great out there - ESPN TV surely isn't.

YourLandlord
04-08-2010, 11:01 PM
OHMIGOD I GOT MY DUKE ALUMNI MAGAZINE YESTERDAY AND IT DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

I AM CANCELING MY SUBSCRIPTION!!!111!!!!

you realize it simply was printed and mailed before Monday's game right? they'll have coverage next issue. chill out.

muzikfrk75
04-08-2010, 11:07 PM
OHMIGOD I GOT MY DUKE ALUMNI MAGAZINE YESTERDAY AND IT DIDN'T EVEN MENTION THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

you realize it simply was printed and mailed before Monday's game right? they'll have coverage next issue. chill out.

LOL...yep

Billy Dat
04-08-2010, 11:07 PM
ESPN the Mag doesn't do event coverage. It's all features, previews and theme issues. They want you on their web site or TV channel for event coverage.

FYI, paying to be an ESPN insider is well worth it for the content - the mag is thrown in and that's why I get it and know it. It's not great overall, but the features are actually pretty good.

MarkD83
04-09-2010, 07:28 AM

It was dated 4/19/2010 and my the next time the magazine comes out they will be full into baseball and golf analyses.