PDA

View Full Version : Final ESPN100 2010 Rankings

airowe
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/espnu100?&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fespnu100

ESPNU 100 - Class of 2010
RANK NAME POS HT WT STATE GRADE SCHOOL
1 Harrison Barnes SF 6'8" 209 IA 98 North Carolina
2 Jared Sullinger PF 6'8" 262 OH 98 Ohio State
3 Kyrie Irving PG 6'2" 172 NJ 97 Duke
4 Brandon Knight PG 6'3" 183 FL 97 None
5 Josh Selby PG 6'3" 183 MD 97 None

19 Joshua Hairston PF 6'9" 220 VA 96 Duke

3. Kyrie Irving (Elizabeth, N.J./St. Patrick), PG, signed with Duke

Irving is one of three point guards in the top five in the ESPNU 100. Of that trio, he is the most well rounded. He can run a fast break to perfection. He excels in transition by scoring and creating for others and he can execute in the half court. He's a tremendous creator and facilitator for his team. He knows what the coach wants and what the team needs. He can put up big numbers at any time and knows when and how to take over games.

Duke hasn't had a point guard like Irving in years -- with the ability to blow by defenders. Although you can put a value on the experience of departing senior Jon Scheyer , the Blue Devils' backcourt won't miss a beat -- Duke also adds Liberty transfer Seth Curry. Irving is a true point guard who can run a team efficiently and effectively.

miramar
04-08-2010, 05:40 PM
Six out of the top 20 are uncommitted, so this could get interesting.

Coach Cal is going to be rather busy in the next few weeks. Kentucky is in the hunt for #4 Brandon Knight, #5 Josh Selby, #9 Terrence Jones, and #11 C. J. Leslie (I believe a former teammate of John Wall).

CDu
04-08-2010, 05:50 PM

Coach Cal is going to be rather busy in the next few weeks. Kentucky is in the hunt for #4 Brandon Knight, #5 Josh Selby, #9 Terrence Jones, and #11 C. J. Leslie (I believe a former teammate of John Wall).

I am guessing at least 3 of those guys end up at UK. I think they are all just making sure that the current guys leave before they commit.

ajgoodfella7
04-08-2010, 06:05 PM
Also interesting to see that now Josh Hairston is only 1 spot behind Reggie Bullock at #19 overall.

airowe
04-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Also interesting to see that now Josh Hairston is only 1 spot behind Reggie Bullock at #19 overall.

Yeah, but Andre Dawkins can't stop Reggie Bullock, so it doesn't matter...

Add #30 Terrence Ross in there as well. He has also reportedly made contact with Luke Cothron.

I'd say he gets Knight, Leslie, and Ross to go with Kanter (suspended most of the year) and Poole.

Another early-round flameout and UK fans will be screaming for a new coach. Or Nets fans will be praising their new one...

roywhite
04-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Nice to see Kyrie and Josh Hairston so well regarded.

Interesting to see that Wake has 4 guys in the top 100. They don't have a lot coming back, but the 2010 class would give a new coach something to work with.

Can KY really just reload with another top class? Maybe so.

ajgoodfella7
04-08-2010, 06:44 PM
Yeah, but Andre Dawkins can't stop Reggie Bullock, so it doesn't matter...

lol... oh yeah I forgot.

JohnGalt
04-08-2010, 09:17 PM

hmm, perhaps that means Hairston can guard Bullock since DreallDay can't? (joke) :D

COYS
04-08-2010, 10:33 PM
hmm, perhaps that means Hairston can guard Bullock since DreallDay can't? (joke) :D

Haha. Maybe this is why we recruited Felix? Also, if I remember correctly, Dawkins was #10 in the 2010 class before he became part of the 2009 class.

rotogod00
04-08-2010, 10:55 PM
nice to see irving has supplanted knight as the top PG

amat1129
04-08-2010, 11:31 PM
The addition of Curry is going to help substantially, he'll basically have a complete year of more experience in defense and shooting under his belt. Irving is going to have a field day kicking it out to the wings for threes

rotogod00
04-10-2010, 07:49 AM
Class rankings have been updated as well and we come in at #5 (behind Ohio St., UNC, Memphis, and Syracuse):

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/classrankings

(note that it doesn't include curry of course)

dukeimac
04-10-2010, 11:46 AM
It does not matter what the players ranking or what the class ranking are / is. It comes down to what they do when they get on campus.

Remember, Lance Thomas was a highly ranked player when he came and he did not really materialize until this year. Cousins is a great basketball player but he was a problem for Cali and I believe was a part of the cancer of the team. Him and Wall were thinking of the pros. The farther they went into the tourney the more of a problem they were going to be. Several times in their conference tourney and in the Dance, Cousins and Wall were seen rolling their eyes when Cali was talking to them on the bench. No way Cali wins a title with players like that.

UNC has the most McD AA and look at what they did this year. Not a one of them stood out as a top notch player, not a one.

Olympic Fan
04-10-2010, 12:25 PM
Reading the Kentucky boards, Oak Hill coach Steve Smith told a reporter recently that his star guard, Lamb, was torn between Kentucky and Kansas.

Smith also said "the word on the street" is that Kentucky will get Knight and Kansas will get Josh Selby, the two best unsigned guards.

The Leslie situation is interesting. Long thought to be a Kentucky lean, there's a lot of gossip -- take it for what it is -- that NC State has momentum and might steal him. The convential wisdom is that the fact that Cal recently jumped in the Terrence Ross race because he was worried about Leslie. Also possible that Kentucky gets Luke Cothran, who decommitted from State, if they don't get Leslie -- again, the conventional wisdom is that Cothran doesn't want to sign at the same school as Leslie -- his decommit from State is another hint that the Leslie-to-Raleigh rumors might have legs.

Now, I wouldn't bet money on any of this, just passing on the gossip.

One other interesting tidbit. The talk at the McDonald's Game was that UNC's Roy Williams was going to steal PG Ray McCallum (who was briefly on Duke's radar) at the last moment. The thinking was the Drew was gone and Roy needed another PG to back up Kendall Marshall. With Drew definitely staying, that makes the McCallum signing a lot less likely.

jimsumner
04-10-2010, 12:41 PM
"With Drew definitely staying, that makes the McCallum signing a lot less likely. "

Especially if one takes at face value the rumors that Strickland will remain a point guard.

Speaking of State, there are worries in West Raleigh that Lorenzo Brown still has some work to do on the academic side of things. Lowe has invested a lot of his career in Lorenzo Brown.

MChambers
04-10-2010, 01:39 PM
"With Drew definitely staying, that makes the McCallum signing a lot less likely. "

Especially if one takes at face value the rumors that Strickland will remain a point guard.

Speaking of State, there are worries in West Raleigh that Lorenzo Brown still has some work to do on the academic side of things. Lowe has invested a lot of his career in Lorenzo Brown.

Not just rumors, I think.

"I plan on him being a point guard for us for his entire career, and I think that if he's fortunate enough to play the game for a living, I think he needs to have these skills," Williams said.

http://web.sny.tv/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100331&content_id=9026696&vkey=1

Of course, that means UNC has three point guards, all of whom were McDonald's All-Americans. Interesting situation.

COYS
04-10-2010, 06:19 PM
Class rankings have been updated as well and we come in at #5 (behind Ohio St., UNC, Memphis, and Syracuse):

http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/classrankings

(note that it doesn't include curry of course)

Although I agree that it doesn't matter in the least in the grand scheme of things, I wonder where we'd be ranked with Curry included. He'd probably be rated just under the elite point guards and shooting guards (Knight, Selby, Irving, Bullock, etc.) but I bet he'd be above Marshall and McCallum. Even then, I wonder if his rating would be skewed a little low since he was regarded so inaccurately coming out of high school. As I said earlier in the thread, I would not be surprised if Curry became just as important for Duke as Bullock will be for UNC . . . I even think he could be better.