PDA

View Full Version : What one play will you remember from this year's tournament?

wgl1228
04-07-2010, 06:05 PM
What will be the one play that will stick out when you think about this tournament run. I will always remember Lance Thomas's putback against Baylor. That's when I knew we were going to the Final Four and that something special was happening. How about you guys?

jmb
04-07-2010, 06:09 PM
There was a missed 40-footer at the buzzer that will remain pretty salient for me. Anyone else remember that?

BigZ
04-07-2010, 06:26 PM
Scheyer's tip in after Miles' miss was pretty cool but I will probably forget about it in a few weeks. Without a doubt the missed Hayward half court shot will be the most rememberable.

dukeblue225
04-07-2010, 06:32 PM
IMO, Hayward's shot is the most memorable play overall. And LT's tip dunk was the most memorable Duke play.

However, the series of plays I'll remember are Zoubs' kickouts for 3s against WVU will be in my mind forever. In particular when Nolan missed a 3 and Zoubs kicked it back out so he could redeem himself. It made me reminisce of when Sheldon used to kick it back out to JJ.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Has to be the last shot from hayward. But for a Duke player, it would probably be Nolan's whole performance from the baylor game. Can't really choose one.

banneheim
04-07-2010, 07:04 PM
Scheyer's Tip and block but definitely LT's dunk tip.

hc5duke
04-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Singler-Plumlee double-dunk.

Oh and that missed 40-footer, but who wants to remember a missed shot ;)

Orange&BlackSheep
04-07-2010, 07:18 PM
I will always remember Scheyer's sneaky inbounds pass to Singler for the little lay-in against Butler. S-a-v-v-y ... this year's leaders.

mgtr
04-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I will always remember Scheyer's sneaky inbounds pass to Singler for the little lay-in against Butler. S-a-v-v-y ... this year's leaders.

OK, I will definitely sign on to that. It was a freebie!

Cameron
04-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Andre's walk-off-the-bench 25-footer to stop the bleeding left over from Baylor's furious end of half rally in the regional final. Without that momentous triple, I'm not so sure Baylor doesn't ride the Houston crowd into a 10-point lead at the break and beat us.

That was a monster make and it took incredible moxie for Dre to take it.

Lord Ash
04-07-2010, 07:45 PM
There was a missed 40-footer at the buzzer that will remain pretty salient for me. Anyone else remember that?

Nominated for Understatement of the Season.

Although Zoubs D on that second to last shot was big too.

Dukeknights
04-07-2010, 07:51 PM
Zoubs reaction after the Heyward half-court shot.

Greg_Newton
04-07-2010, 07:55 PM
There were several plays by Andre and Nolan against Baylor that were huge, but for some reason I can't visualize them quite as well as I can some others. Here are my top 5 (well, 6), for whatever reason:

1. Hayward's buzzer-beating miss.

2. Hayward's spin, hop, miss over Z's outstretched arm.

3. Scheyer's Battierblock. It was literally a mirror image of Sahne's... the skill and focus required to make that play is remarkable.

4. LT's tip-dunk. I think the awkwardness of it makes it more memorable, because it was just pure force of will.

5. (Tie) LT's kickout to Nolan against Baylor after Nolan missed the FT, and Nolan nailing the 3 with a follow through and smile as K slaps him on the back.

5. (Tie) Kyle's 18-foot fadeaway off a curl near the end of the Baylor game that barely even touched the net. That was just pure ice water in the veins.

Buckeye Devil
04-07-2010, 08:09 PM
It's not a play but I will remember Coach K sticking up for Zoubek in the press conference after the Butler game. Some reporter asked Zoubek about winning the NC and his up and down career. Coach K stepped in and said that he had been plagued by injuries, but had a great career and that Duke would not have won the NC without him stepping up his game.

BluBones
04-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Zoubs pulling down his last rebound in a Duke uniform. That was the moment I thought we would win.

rthomas
04-07-2010, 08:18 PM
I will always remember that I was there.

roywhite
04-07-2010, 08:28 PM
Zoubs pulling down his last rebound in a Duke uniform. That was the moment I thought we would win.

A legendary poster from the early days of this site emerges to toast the championship with a nod to Zoubs. Very nice.

aro24
04-07-2010, 08:31 PM
It's not a play but I will remember Coach K sticking up for Zoubek in the press conference after the Butler game. Some reporter asked Zoubek about winning the NC and his up and down career. Coach K stepped in and said that he had been plagued by injuries, but had a great career and that Duke would not have won the NC without him stepping up his game.

I picked up on this as well.....don't remember the reporters name, but I do recall that he was from the Charlotte Observer..... for what its worth.

ARo24

muzikfrk75
04-07-2010, 08:47 PM
There were several plays by Andre and Nolan against Baylor that were huge, but for some reason I can't visualize them quite as well as I can some others. Here are my top 5 (well, 6), for whatever reason:

1. Hayward's buzzer-beating miss.

2. Hayward's spin, hop, miss over Z's outstretched arm.

3. Scheyer's Battierblock. It was literally a mirror image of Sahne's... the skill and focus required to make that play is remarkable.

4. LT's tip-dunk. I think the awkwardness of it makes it more memorable, because it was just pure force of will.

5. (Tie) LT's kickout to Nolan against Baylor after Nolan missed the FT, and Nolan nailing the 3 with a follow through and smile as K slaps him on the back.

5. (Tie) Kyle's 18-foot fadeaway off a curl near the end of the Baylor game that barely even touched the net. That was just pure ice water in the veins.

The one that's in bold is the one that sticks out for me.

mbd1mbd1
04-07-2010, 08:51 PM
The reporter was Ken Tysiac.

I'll remember the Kyle/Miles double slam.

Classof06
04-07-2010, 08:56 PM
I was going to say Lance's putback against Baylor, and can't fault anyone for doing so.

But I'll never forget the defense that Singler and Zoubek played on that Gordon Hayward fadeaway in the final seconds, then Zoubek's subsequent defensive rebound. It was the epitome of Duke's 2010 season: defense and rebounding. It ain't sexy, but it's the reason we're all currently on Cloud 9.

2010 NATIONAL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!

wgl1228
04-07-2010, 09:18 PM
If you watch that Thomas putback against Baylor notice how when Kyle shoots that Thomas is at the 3 point line on the other side and his eyes are just locked in all the way as he runs in. My favorite by far.

GoingFor#5
04-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Hayward's miss, but also the series of kickout 3s we got in the Baylor game to push ahead.

EKU1969
04-07-2010, 09:37 PM
Scheyer's tip...what could have been an empty possession turns into 2 points with 1 second on the shot clock. Miles' presence of mind to get that shot off and hit the rim was fantastic. Close second; Singler's "I'm not in the play" deception for the easy 2 on the inbounds from Scheyer.

hurley1
04-07-2010, 09:54 PM
The reporter was Ken Tysiac.

I'll remember the Kyle/Miles double slam.

that was straight nasty right there.......;)

basket1544
04-07-2010, 10:12 PM
The double slam will go down as my favorite memory I think. Second will be Nolan's missed 3, Z's board and kick right back to Nolan for the make (that was this season in a nutshell).
What I loved about Jon and Kyle's deception play was that Jon and Z had done the same play just a few minutes prior. It cracked me up!

wilson
04-07-2010, 10:23 PM
Andre's walk-off-the-bench 25-footer to stop the bleeding left over from Baylor's furious end of half rally in the regional final. Without that momentous triple, I'm not so sure Baylor doesn't ride the Houston crowd into a 10-point lead at the break and beat us.

That was a monster make and it took incredible moxie for Dre to take it.YES. Definitely my choice(s). If Dre doesn't hit those two shots, I don't think we're champs.

TallMan
04-07-2010, 11:06 PM
I just re-watched Kyle's jumper off the curl with a little under 5 min left in the game. If you watch closely, it really is a great play all around. They try to run it for Kyle once, but it doesn't work. Then they run it with Nolan. Everyone re-sets the screens, and Kyle comes around a second time and nails it. Watch Lance on the play. He sets three successive screens. It's the little stuff like that (stuff this team did all year) that made them champs!

burnspbesq
04-07-2010, 11:16 PM
Ali Farokhmanesh, anyone?

In the Duke category, I would probably vote for the Dawkins three late in the first half against Baylor. If that doesn't go down, we probably lose.

Cameron
04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
I will always remember that I was there.

Likewise. My sports life is now complete.

Cameron
04-07-2010, 11:37 PM
YES. Definitely my choice(s). If Dre doesn't hit those two shots, I don't think we're champs.

The best part is, Dre has this moment to cherish forever. After the year he went through, well, you know what Bob Harris says, How sweet it is.

91devil
04-07-2010, 11:46 PM
How about Zoubs' monstrous, second-half, top-of-the-key pick on Chris Kramer? Have you ever seen a defender melt after hitting a wall like that? Talk about announcing your presence with authority!

Of course I'd be remiss in not mentioning Lance's follow up rebound and dunk late in the Baylor game. I think we will all be talking about that for years to come.

cptnflash
04-08-2010, 12:49 AM
As a few others have already said, I'll take Andre's 3 with 30 seconds left in the first half against Baylor. They were on a 10-0 run, we had turned the ball over 3 out of the previous 4 trips... for a couple minutes we looked like the Washington Generals to their Globetrotters out there. Crowd was going nuts... it felt like the whole season was slipping away. Jon penetrates and kicks it left to Andre, who pulls up immediately, and... SWISH!! Crowd goes so quiet you can actually hear Duke fans cheering "Defense! Defense!" as Baylor brings it up the floor for the last possession of the first half. We get a stop, and suddenly we have the momentum going into the half. Andre totally saved our bacon right there. Way to go, kid!!

NSDukeFan
04-08-2010, 03:51 PM
How about Jordan Davidson's 3 to finish the scoring in perhaps our best game of the year?

juise
04-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Ali Farokhmanesh, anyone?

This was mine as well, until I realized it was a Duke-only theme. That shot was stunning.

As for Duke, I thought Nolan's three against Baylor (the one where K told him to shoot it) was great.

CrazieDUMB
04-08-2010, 04:08 PM
The most visceral moment of the tournament for me was when it got knocked out of bounds with 13 seconds left. That was a total do-or-die moment: you have to play the best defense of your life for 13 seconds or you lose. It was a crucible, and I almost passed out during it.

MChambers
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM

I thought Kyle didn't make a single shot from the floor against Baylor.

hedevil
04-08-2010, 04:57 PM
Does anyone have the link of K and the players arriving at Cameron with the trophy? The one with the speeches from K and the seniors?

Cameron
04-08-2010, 05:06 PM
^^I'd say you feel pretty strongly about seeing this. ;)

Does anyone have a good video angle of K and the rest of the staff when the shot bounced off the rim? I'd love that moment captured.

Another great visual of the Tournament, perhaps my favorite non-basketball moment, was Mickie Krzyzewski's reaction after CBS showed Coach K smiling with the players during the post-game celebration/trophy presentation. Her expression said, "The weight of the world has been lifted."

I think all Duke fans felt it. We're Duke and we're back on top. What a moment. I'm so glad CBS captured it.

licc85
04-09-2010, 04:51 AM
the most memorable play for me was zoubek contesting hayward's baseline fade away jumper with 5-7 seconds left in the championship game and then securing the rebound. That play pretty much sums up our whole season: defense and rebounding

barjwr
04-09-2010, 07:24 AM
I remember thinking we were going to win once we scored our 60th point, since CBS had been falling all over themselves to remind everyone how Butler had held all tournament opponents under 60 in each game.

JohnGalt
04-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Jon's inbound pass to Kyle for the lay-in. All they needed was eye contact. THAT sums up this year's T-E-A-M.

davekay1971
04-09-2010, 08:52 AM
The most visceral moment of the tournament for me was when it got knocked out of bounds with 13 seconds left. That was a total do-or-die moment: you have to play the best defense of your life for 13 seconds or you lose. It was a crucible, and I almost passed out during it.

From the moment Butler got the ball with the shot clock off and down by 1, I was almost to the point of not being able to watch. At the same time, you just knew our guys were going to play their best defense. There was no way Butler was going to get off a clean shot. I was nervous as anything, but still had a confidence or faith that we'd get the stop. That's the kind of defense this team has played all year, the the way they've stepped up at the end of games. I'm in the camp that I'll probably always remember Zoubs rotating over, getting his hand up to force Hayward into a tough shot, then corralling the rebound. That play was classic Duke 2010, and exemplified what Zoubek brought to the team this year.

My most memorable non-Duke moment: the kid from Northern Iowa getting the open look to bury Kansas, thinking about it for a second, then clearly making the "what the heck, I'm just gonna end this game right here" decision and launching it. That shot took brass ones, and the kid delivered.

stillcrazie
04-09-2010, 09:19 AM
Does anyone have the link of K and the players arriving at Cameron with the trophy? The one with the speeches from K and the seniors?

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/rs/video/7368114/

arydolphin
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
I'm admittedly biased because I was the games in Houston but not at the Final Four, but I like that people are bringing up Andre's 2 3-pointers in the first half against Baylor. The shot at the end of the half helped take a little momentum away from Baylor, and made it only a 3-point deficit at the half. For me, the single moment that I'll remember is the Lance putback dunk in that game. I posted in the postgame thread that it was an "OH S***" moment because he dunked it and the whistle blew, and everyone stopped for a split-second because we didn't know if it would count or who the foul was on, and then it was a 3-point play and the bench went nuts, along with all of the Duke fans. It was at that point that I really felt like Duke had the game in their hands, it was awesome.

For a moment from the finals, of course I'll remember how nervous I was when Butler had their 2 final opportunities to score, but I think a huge moment was when Miles was able to throw up the hook shot off of the inbounds with 1 on the shot clock and draw rim, and then Jon was there for the tip-in. To get points out of that situation was amazing, and it turned out to be the winning margin in the game.

wilson
04-09-2010, 10:16 AM
...I think a huge moment was when Miles was able to throw up the hook shot off of the inbounds with 1 on the shot clock and draw rim, and then Jon was there for the tip-in. To get points out of that situation was amazing, and it turned out to be the winning margin in the game.That's what was so great about that game. You could say the above about literally every basket in the game. They often say it, but rarely is it really true that absolutely every possession mattered.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 12:19 PM
When JD hit that Three at the end of the game

Osiagledknarf
04-09-2010, 12:35 PM
I will remember the Nolan 3 pointer to break the tie vs. Baylor... Huge Huge play in that game...

kyriecrazy2013
04-09-2010, 02:19 PM
How about Jordan Davidson's 3 to finish the scoring in perhaps our best game of the year?

I'm not sure why no one else chose this one...

1. Scheyer block
2. Lance Jam&1
3. Double Slam
4. Davidson ftw
5. Singler secret alley-oop over the faceguard

magjayran
04-09-2010, 02:32 PM

I came in here to say this. As soon as he came in I was telling everybody around me that I hoped he got a good look.

But I still get shivers when I think about how close that final shot was to going in so I think that ultimately that's the number one play I'll remember for years.

Georgiadevil
04-09-2010, 04:52 PM
The 2 threes by Andre against Baylor stick out to me.That was the one game where we needed something huge from the bench during Baylors big run.Onions!!K's postgame went something like,Thank god Andre hit those 2 big shots ,or we might be done.

Duke Parent 06
04-09-2010, 08:16 PM
the most memorable play for me was zoubek contesting hayward's baseline fade away jumper with 5-7 seconds left in the championship game and then securing the rebound. That play pretty much sums up our whole season: defense and rebounding

For me, it was Zoubek in that whole superb defensive/rebounding sequence at the end, starting when he just managed to tip the ball out of bounds preventing a 3 point shot from the corner that I am certain would have gone in (or would have led to an offensive rebound because Brian was out of position to rebound the miss). Then it was the two in-bounds plays that followed, in which Zoubek cost Butler its last time out. It is fitting, I think, that the most memorable play involve brilliant defense and rebound work that epitomized this season and this team.

Cockabeau
04-09-2010, 08:53 PM
I will remember forever:

1)Zoubeck's reaction after the miss.
2)The bone jarring pick on Kyle. The was the second most brutal pick I have ever seen on a Duke team. The first being Malcom Mackey's hit on Bobby Hurley....:mad:

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-09-2010, 09:04 PM
I will remember forever:

1)Zoubeck's reaction after the miss.

That is a forever classic memory in my mind as well.

ZJDUBYA
04-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Lance's tip dunk vs Baylor. I knew then we were going back to the show.

Lippl
04-09-2010, 10:03 PM
Hines Ward's crackback block on Kyle Singler with 2 seconds left, and Kyle still being conscious enough to turn to watch the miss.

DukeDevilDeb
04-09-2010, 10:36 PM
How about Zoubs' monstrous, second-half, top-of-the-key pick on Chris Kramer? Have you ever seen a defender melt after hitting a wall like that? Talk about announcing your presence with authority!

Of course I'd be remiss in not mentioning Lance's follow up rebound and dunk late in the Baylor game. I think we will all be talking about that for years to come.

Last year, when Nolan hit a similar pick and fell to the court with a concussion. Not pretty when it's on your guy!

Hectors Grease Fire
04-10-2010, 12:34 AM
So many memorable moments from an incredible title run. Here are a couple of less celebrated plays I will never forget.

- Kyle's chin hurting Mazzulla's head seemed to defy medical logic. Certainly illustrates Singler's and Duke's toughness.

- Lance leveling Mazzulla as he chased Scheyer thru the lane with about 3 minutes remaining in the first half. Entering the game, I wondered whether Duke was tough enough to compete against a physical West Virginia team. Now I wondered if West Virginia was tough enough to compete against Duke.

BleedsP287
04-10-2010, 12:47 AM
I agree, most memorable for me was Z's defense on Hayward as Hayward was taking the shot around 13 sec mark. Zoob made him fade a little extra, so the shot came short, and Z grabbed the board and I figured that sealed it.

One unfortunate play that sticks in my head is Ndot's floater that was to seal the game that didn't quite get there. Those shots of his like that ALWAYS go in. I was a basketcase when that shot didn't go in because it appeared there was a karma problem somewhere.

I love this team. Great people. Another in a long line of teams that make me very proud to be a part of the Duke family. I am SO happy for them.

Big Pappa
04-10-2010, 12:57 AM
My Duke memory will def be Nolan's 3 right in front of Coach K against Baylor, then Nolan turned around and they both had huge smiles on their faces. After the game Coach K said, "As soon as he caught it I told him to shoot it, I guess that's why he turned around to me."

My non-Duke moment would have to be Gordon Hayward's step-back between the legs dribble and 3 pointer against KState. When he hit that I thought, "These guys are legit".

hc5duke
04-10-2010, 01:19 AM
I remember thinking we were going to win once we scored our 60th point, since CBS had been falling all over themselves to remind everyone how Butler had held all tournament opponents under 60 in each game.

When Butler scored their 59th point, I nearly had a heartattack because I remember reading this prediction from Forde (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/tournament/2010/columns/story?id=5056999)

Forde: Butler wins 62-60 when Hayward pulls a Bobby Plump and hits the winning shot in the final seconds. Why? Because truth has been stranger than fiction this NCAA tournament.

Bobby Plump's Milan won 32-30
Hoosiers' Hickory won 42-40
Butler beat MSU 52-50

I'm not a superstitious guy by any means, but day before the game, I told my wife that if we lose the game 62-60, the fix is in.