PDA

View Full Version : But what about the soda?

SupaDave
04-07-2010, 04:43 PM
I need someone to PLEASE tell me when they start seeing the National Championship soda on shelves.

Pepsi has traditionally done this and of course I didn't even check last year. Could someone with knowledge of the situation (or a healthy soda appetite) let me know when/if the sodas will be available?

DukeCO2009
04-07-2010, 05:25 PM
In 2001 it was Coke that sold commemerative six packs, not Pepsi. Can't recall exactly how long it took to get them on the shelves but IIRC it was pretty quick.

Devilsfan
04-07-2010, 05:29 PM
I banned coke from my house since they ran that commercial with the second plaace nit school featured.

CLW
04-07-2010, 06:03 PM
I still have an old 1991 Coke bottle. I got it at some sports memorabilia store when I on vacation in Tennessee of all places.

flash
04-07-2010, 06:47 PM
I believe Coke has exclusive rights with Duke.

MarkD83
04-07-2010, 06:55 PM
we should send a case to Roy Williams since he likes Coke so much.

NovaScotian
04-07-2010, 07:50 PM
we should send a case to Roy Williams since he likes Coke so much.

yea, that dude is such a coke fiend.

TampaDukie
04-07-2010, 08:45 PM
I still have an old 1991 Coke bottle. I got it at some sports memorabilia store when I on vacation in Tennessee of all places.
I still have a can of True Blue II Soda from the '92 championship proudly displayed in my office. I can't believe it hasn't exploded, like its dearly departed companion can did about 15 years ago. (I also can't believe it's been 18 years since that championship. Wow!)

Deslok
04-07-2010, 09:08 PM
I still have a can of True Blue II Soda from the '92 championship proudly displayed in my office. I can't believe it hasn't exploded, like its dearly departed companion can did about 15 years ago. (I also can't believe it's been 18 years since that championship. Wow!)

I can't believe whatever was in that can hasn't eaten its way through the can, the shelf it on, the floor, and perhaps down 5 miles closer to the earth's core.

SupaDave
04-07-2010, 09:11 PM
I can't believe whatever was in that can hasn't eaten its way through the can, the shelf it on, the floor, and perhaps down 5 miles closer to the earth's core.

I actually have had that happen. Sticky mess...

weezie
04-07-2010, 09:20 PM
I still have a can of True Blue II Soda from the '92 championship proudly displayed in my office. I can't believe it hasn't exploded, like its dearly departed companion can did about 15 years ago.

Good grief, I've got two cans left, too. If the world ever ends, I think that blue beverage will still be floating in space towards some distant new galaxy. :rolleyes:

Man are we crazy people or what?

camion
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Got one full and one empty from '91. I keep the sparkling beverage in the fridge.

theAlaskanBear
04-07-2010, 09:26 PM
Good grief, I've got two cans left, too. If the world ever ends, I think that blue beverage will still be floating in space towards some distant new galaxy. :rolleyes:

My dad still has a can of that stuff! If coach K ever wins a 5th, I will crack it open and drink it!! Thats a promise!

weezie
04-07-2010, 09:28 PM
For heaven's sake, please alert someone before you do....and have emergency services on your speed dial! :eek:

Son of Mojo
04-07-2010, 09:59 PM

I've a can of that not 2 feet from me now........and I'm getting a hankering for its tasty goodness....... Seriously, wonder how much damage that would do to me? :P I do want a Coke bottle with the date and scores on it badly.

wilson
04-07-2010, 10:47 PM
My dad still has a can of that stuff! If coach K ever wins a 5th, I will crack it open and drink it!! Thats a promise!My dad's still got a whole six-pack of True Blue somewhere. When it was produced, I was in the fourth grade. Now, eighteen years, five Final Fours, and two championships later, I'm still in school.:rolleyes:

gofurman
04-07-2010, 11:03 PM
If anyone would part (read - SELL) with any of :

- a 2001 Coke commemerative six pack or 1 can/bottle
- a 1992 True Blue (whatever that is) or six pack

I would like to hear the offer. PM me please!

I have a 1991 bottle but neither of the others

ForkFondler
04-08-2010, 07:55 AM

I've got an extra '91 that I'd trade for a '92. I have a '92 commemorative coke can, but no TB II.

I gave one of my '91s to a UNC fan and a couple of years later I ended up with a '93 which is definitely not True Blue.

wilson
04-08-2010, 08:36 AM
...a couple of years later I ended up with a '93 which is definitely not True Blue.You should shake it up and return it, preferably by tossing it upon his front steps while driving by and maniacally cackling.

78Devil
04-08-2010, 10:17 AM
My '92 can of soda finally died a grisly, wet, blue death, taking with it a whole drawer of fairly nice crystal sherry and shot glasses in the explosion. Worth it!

JohnGalt
04-08-2010, 10:20 AM
Somehow I managed to come up with glass bottles of Coke for the '91 and '92 seasons. They are still going strong so I know what I'll be searching for in the next few weeks...

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-08-2010, 10:37 AM

I totally forgot about the True Blue soda from 1991 and 1992. That stuff tasted like victory (and a little like grape soda).

I have a couple cans sitting around in a box of collectibles somewhere. That would be awesome if they sold this stuff again.

superdave
04-08-2010, 10:39 AM
My '92 can of soda finally died a grisly, wet, blue death, taking with it a whole drawer of fairly nice crystal sherry and shot glasses in the explosion. Worth it!

Found my 91 and 92 True Blues and my 92 Coke exploded recently. They took out some autographs of the 1988 team (Ferry, Brickey etc) with them. I stared for about 15 minutes in complete silence then threw them away. I think my Roger Staubach autographed picture died with them too.

toothmechanic72
04-08-2010, 11:15 AM
I still have a '91 Coke bottle in my office. I'm staring at it right now. The rest are still in my parents' house. Hopefully the True Blue Soda hasn't exploded.

gofurman
04-08-2010, 11:49 AM
OK - so my new question - has anyone had the coke bottles (like 91) explode? or just the true blue cans? I don't want something that will ruin other memorabilia

tks for your help here.

I only have the 91 bottle (still with coke in it) and haven't had any explosions

is ther a 92 bottle available?

Onlyduke
04-08-2010, 12:12 PM
I still have two 1992 commemorative cans of Coke Classic from the NCAA Championship ..... unopened. I had a six pack but some of the cans got damaged in a move. I believe I kept the damaged cans also.

ajtrublu
04-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I have a 6-pack of the True Blue, but when I got new furniture last year, I found icky, sticky blue goo all over the top of my hutch. I poked holes in the bottom of the cans and washed them out, so they're empty now. But at least they're no threat to my new desk!

gofurman
04-13-2010, 10:48 PM
nothing on the bottles yet? anyone seen them in stores?

RelativeWays
04-13-2010, 10:53 PM
I still have the bottle from 91. Never got anything from 92 save a t shirt and I skipped memorabilia altogether in 01. Thats was a dumb mistake I'm not making this year. Already have the SI issue, the poster, a new t-shirt (on backorder :()
and I plan on getting the DVD. I'll skip the soda

gofurman
04-14-2010, 08:55 AM
right, I just wondered if anyone had seen the sodas yet? thanks

DukeDevilDeb
04-14-2010, 11:33 AM
I have a 1991 Championship bottle of Coke and a 2001 Championship can of Coke. I also consume more diet Coke than anyone else on the planet ! :D

So I like to keep up on these things. Believe it or not, Coke has a website on which they offer souvenir cans and bottles as well as a page on that web site that features New Arrivals and Basketball offerings.

http://www.2collectcola.com/page/ACC/CTGY/B1

I have been checking. They have a 2010 LSU Tigers National Baseball Champs bottle (thought for a minute it said Basketball and our win had all been a dream!:p). They also have a 2010 Men's Final Four bottle, but no National Champ Basketball bottle yet.

Irony: They do carry some of the past bottles, but the earliest I could find was the Arkansas Razorbacks 1994 NC bottle... that one SHOULD have been ours... I still dream about Tony Lang reaching out to block the shot and not quite making it. :(

I'll try to remember to post when this year's bottle is up. It should be in the grocery stores then too.

GO DEVILS! 2010 NC!

BlueDevilCorvette!
04-14-2010, 01:52 PM
I'll keep a look out for the Duke 2010 can soda. However, what I'm waiting for is for Hardee's to have another Acrylic Championship Mug (16oz or 20oz size). In 2001 they had a Duke Championship Mug that had all the scores from the tournament on it. It was a very nice mug in blue and white colors. Also, it is a very durable mug because I've used mine since 2001 and it hasn't faded or anything. It still looks new thus I'd love to have a 2010 edition if they make it. Also, I just left Hibbett Sports and they have the Duke Championship Basketball $40.00 (official size) just like the one SI is offering as part of their Duke package but the SI ball is not an official size ball. I saw on Dick's Sporting Goods and Sports Authority website that they have a Duke Championship Basketball with ALL the scores on it but the price is kind of steep $119.00, but nonetheless it's a nice ball.

ncexnyc
04-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I emailed the Coke folks and here is there reply:
Thank you for contacting The Coca-Cola Company, Mr. Gebhardt. We appreciate
your interest in our brands.

The commemorative packaging that you referred to would be produced and
distributed by your local bottling company. You may want to contact them
directly to see what they have available. Not all commemorative packaging is
available in all areas.

The bottling company serving your area may be reached at the following phone
number: (800) 866-2653

We hope this information is helpful. Should you have additional questions or
comments, please feel free to contact us again.

Jeffrey
Industry and Consumer Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company

CameronBornAndBred
04-15-2010, 08:24 PM
I think Jeffrey was pulling for Butler.

greybeard
04-16-2010, 01:32 AM
My old man was in the soda business in NY. When they went to nonreturnable bottles in the mid to late '60s, working in the factory was like being in a war zone. Soda is made with ice cold water--holds more carbination. As the soda warmed, bottles would explore like hand granades. Cases made of cardboard, an exploded bottle or two, cases stacked six high on a pallet, pballets stacked three high, guys were wanting combat pay just to load trucks.

Pops bought a company that had the Yoo Hoo franchise in the NY area and he really rolled with it. Made the drink primo popular compared to what it had been. The guys on our team all had Yoo Hoo T-shirts; some wore them under their dress shirts (we rolled shirt and tie) to games for good luck. When Gooch, a junior guard who went on to captain Penn as a Junior, missed a bunch of free throws in the county semifinals (3 pt loss), and came up to me after the game, handed me the shirt and said "Yoo-hoo sucks." Could never stand the stuff myself.

Just thought I'd shrare.

SupaDave
04-16-2010, 10:45 AM
My old man was in the soda business in NY. When they went to nonreturnable bottles in the mid to late '60s, working in the factory was like being in a war zone. Soda is made with ice cold water--holds more carbination. As the soda warmed, bottles would explore like hand granades. Cases made of cardboard, an exploded bottle or two, cases stacked six high on a pallet, pballets stacked three high, guys were wanting combat pay just to load trucks.

Pops bought a company that had the Yoo Hoo franchise in the NY area and he really rolled with it. Made the drink primo popular compared to what it had been. The guys on our team all had Yoo Hoo T-shirts; some wore them under their dress shirts (we rolled shirt and tie) to games for good luck. When Gooch, a junior guard who went on to captain Penn as a Junior, missed a bunch of free throws in the county semifinals (3 pt loss), and came up to me after the game, handed me the shirt and said "Yoo-hoo sucks." Could never stand the stuff myself.

Just thought I'd shrare.

Even though you never mention the color of those shirts, I can't get the image of that yellow shirt out of my head now.

g4orce
04-16-2010, 02:22 PM
I had a six-pack of the cans from 92 explode in my kitchen cabinets a few years ago. I cam home and found this odd, brown sludge all over the counters, dripping out of the cabinets. At first, I was afraid to open the door and find Alien or something similar inside, but it was only the Coke cans. Odd thing, though, the earlier cans never did that.

I hate to admit this, though: I do have a bottle from UNC's win at the Superdome. It was given to me as a gag gift from my tarhole-loving cousin. The only reason that I kept it is that it is truly a collectible. On the credits for the team & location of the championship game, the word Superdome is spelled clearly Superdqme. My understanding is that there was a very small batch made that way accidentally. I only kept it in case it became very valuable.

anon
04-16-2010, 02:29 PM
I need someone to PLEASE tell me when they start seeing the National Championship soda on shelves.

Pepsi has traditionally done this and of course I didn't even check last year. Could someone with knowledge of the situation (or a healthy soda appetite) let me know when/if the sodas will be available?

Coke cans with Duke logos are available for sale at the Lobby Shop. I assume this is what you're talking about ... ?

whereinthehellami
04-16-2010, 02:47 PM

I still have the 1991 Coke bottle myself with the road to Indianapolis on the back. I never drank the Coke because it says no refills on the back:) Does Coke age well? Judging by the looks of the liquid, I'm going to guess no.

BulldogDancer81
04-16-2010, 04:14 PM

I have one of those too!! I think I found mine in my grandparents basement or maybe an antique shop or something like that. I know I didn't get it myself since I didn't become a Duke fan until around 2000. Mine didn't explode but it did start leaking blue soda.

Jderf
04-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Just picked up a six-pack 2010 champions coke from the Duke store. My plan is to put them each in a refrigerated glass case that says "break glass only in case of emergency." Then, if we ever lose a tough game (god forbid, to UNC, though let's hope it never happens again), my plan is to crack one open, have a sip, and just relax the nerves.

theAlaskanBear
04-26-2010, 12:22 PM
Just picked up a six-pack 2010 champions coke from the Duke store. My plan is to put them each in a refrigerated glass case that says "break glass only in case of emergency." Then, if we ever lose a tough game (god forbid, to UNC, though let's hope it never happens again), my plan is to crack one open, have a sip, and just relax the nerves.

Hahaha, GREAT IDEA. No really, I want to copy you, and give them to my dad.
Can you order them from the online store and get them mailed, or did you pick them up in person?

baby-face dawkins
04-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Has anyone seen them online?

gofurman
04-27-2010, 01:14 AM

were these bottles or cans?

yancem
04-27-2010, 09:21 AM

I had a similar experiences with my '91 true blue soda and my '92 commemorative coke can.

Jderf
04-27-2010, 04:36 PM
Hahaha, GREAT IDEA. No really, I want to copy you, and give them to my dad.
Can you order them from the online store and get them mailed, or did you pick them up in person?

Hmm... well i actually picked mine up in person from the lobby shop. I never looked into mailing them, seeing as I live about thirty seconds away from the Bryan Center, so I can't help you there.

dukefan1111
09-28-2010, 02:40 PM
If anyone has a 1992 Duke National Championship Glass Coke Bottle that they are willing to sell please let me know! I've been looking everywhere for one!