PDA

View Full Version : A few more observations on Duke's run

wgl1228
04-07-2010, 10:27 AM
I would have put this under another thread but I wasn't sure which one and I wanted to hear some comments on it even though I'm sure they have been discussed. But anyway, the more I look at Duke's title run the more remarkable it is.

1. Duke defeated four of the best defensive teams in the nation.

2. Duke beat an outstanding Baylor team in what was essentially a road game.

3. Duke defeated a team in the finals that had won 25 games in a row. (Unbelievable)

4. Duke had to play the Championship in the opposing teams home city. (remarkable)

Sorry if this has all been discussed by I couldn't find much on it in my searching.

mr. synellinden
04-07-2010, 10:32 AM
It is also worth noting that Duke won every championship it could have this season.

Pre-Season NIT Champions
ACC Regular Season Champions
ACC Tournament Champions
South Regional Champions
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

How many other Duke teams have done that? They have earned the right to be considered one of the greatest Duke teams of all time.

UrinalCake
04-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Regarding points 2 and 4, this is why you have to schedule games @Wisconsin and @Georgetown during the season. Even if you lose those games, you need the experience of playing on an opponent's floor against an unfamiliar foe.

tbyers11
04-07-2010, 10:40 AM
I would have put this under another thread but I wasn't sure which one and I wanted to hear some comments on it even though I'm sure they have been discussed. But anyway, the more I look at Duke's title run the more remarkable it is.

1. Duke defeated four of the best defensive teams in the nation.

2. Duke beat an outstanding Baylor team in what was essentially a road game.

3. Duke defeated a team in the finals that had won 25 games in a row. (Unbelievable)

4. Duke had to play the Championship in the opposing teams home city. (remarkable)

Sorry if this has all been discussed by I couldn't find much on it in my searching.

This is the one thing that I think deserves to be mentioned more in recognizing the accomplishments of the the 2009-2010 Duke team. They basically played road games (at least as close to a "true" road game as you are going to get in the NCAA tourney) in both the regional final and the national championship game. To me, that is really impressive.