PDA

View Full Version : Play of the Game (Outside of Last Minute)

Jderf
04-06-2010, 03:52 PM
Obviously, the game hinged on an altered shot and then rebound by the big Z. Nobody is going to contest that. I just wanted to hear what people think the best play of the game was outside of that.

My candidate: Scheyer-to-Kyle sneaky inbounds pass for an easy bucket at the rim in the second half. Kyle pretended like nothing was happening so that his defender (who wasn't watching the ball) had no idea the pass was coming. Love to see us being resourceful and using downright trickery.

Runner up: Scheyer's block on the Butler fastbreak around 16 minutes to go in the first.

[Maybe if we get enough candidates out there this thread could be turned into a vote.]

Spam Filter
04-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Miles' hook shot hitting the rim and Scheyer tipping it in.

dukestheheat
04-06-2010, 03:55 PM
^^^^

What Spam Filter said.

dth.

Jderf
04-06-2010, 03:58 PM

Oh yea. Good one there. At the end of the shot-clock, too. I didn't even realize Jon had tipped it until the replays.

There was also Lance's out-of-the-blue sky hook. I don't remember ever seeing him do that before, and then he just whipped it out in the national title game. Guess he figured it was his last chance.

BlueHeaven
04-06-2010, 04:01 PM

While I thought I was going to pass out through much of the game, I felt like that shot, that determination to get that basket in 1 second...doing whatever it took, was a sign we were going to win. I was oddly calm from that point on, save the near heart attack at the end.

ETA: and the announcers barely said anything about it.

ncexnyc
04-06-2010, 04:09 PM
One play? You've got to be kidding, but since you insist, how about Kyle's 3rd and final block. It's the one where he was badly beaten, but still managed to come from behind and give the Butler player a Spalding imprint on his forehead.

SMO
04-06-2010, 04:11 PM
While I thought I was going to pass out through much of the game, I felt like that shot, that determination to get that basket in 1 second...doing whatever it took, was a sign we were going to win. I was oddly calm from that point on, save the near heart attack at the end.

ETA: and the announcers barely said anything about it.

Scheyer actually appeared to out-jump Howard on that play, which is amazing. That play summed up Jon's incredible ability to always be in the right place better than any I can think of. Of course, a behind-the-back toss down the court against Texas in 2009 comes to mind as well.:D

InSpades
04-06-2010, 04:11 PM
I loved the Scheyer to Singler inbounds play. The way Kyle just stood there like nothing was going on until the last possible second was beautiful. If I was him I would have been jumping out of my shorts.

My other favorite play was Kyle's blocked shot late in the 2nd half. He was beat going to the basket but never gave up on the play. Somehow managed to catch up to the offensive player and get a beautiful clean block with his left hand I think. It looked like something Battier would do. He also managed to keep the ball in play for Duke to secure the ball.

KyDevilinIL
04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
It'd say Zoubs' rebound and lightning-quick tipout on an offensive board with somewhere like 3 or 4 minutes left. (It's all a blur right now). I don't even remember if we scored on that second possession, but it killed a bunch of clock that needed to be killed late in the game.

OldSchool
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Jon Scheyer's blocked shot on what appeared to be an easy Butler breakaway lay-up.

An "alarmingly unathletic" block!!

HaveFunExpectToWin
04-06-2010, 04:29 PM
Jon Scheyer's blocked shot on what appeared to be an easy Butler breakaway lay-up.

An "alarmingly unathletic" block!!

He reminded me of Battier in that play for some reason. I will dearly miss #30.

Dukeknights
04-06-2010, 04:32 PM
When the game was 56-55 Butler was on a 4-0 run i think and Kyle came off a screen and hit a jumper will moving to the left. it was golden.

also I thought the tip in by Scheyer off the Miles hook shot and the play where Jon stripped Veaseley and goes on the break, lost control of the ball a bit and flipped it to Nolan for the three.

onepresent
04-06-2010, 04:44 PM

Jon's play immediately reminded me of Shane Battier's backwards/back-handed/rebound/tip-in in 2001. I hoped it would be the turning point.

MChambers
04-06-2010, 05:18 PM
One play? You've got to be kidding, but since you insist, how about Kyle's 3rd and final block. It's the one where he was badly beaten, but still managed to come from behind and give the Butler player a Spalding imprint on his forehead.

I loved that play. And Kyle was only beaten because he had to help on someone driving. When the driver dished, he was out of position, but made that amazing recovery. And of course this occurred in the frantic final minutes (I think).

proelitedota
04-06-2010, 06:36 PM
Kyle's shot from Scheyer's inbounds pass was easily the funniest shot in the tournament. It was like "SIKE, I just scored".

marinbobbyduhon
04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
I loved the Scheyer to Singler inbounds play. The way Kyle just stood there like nothing was going on until the last possible second was beautiful. If I was him I would have been jumping out of my shorts.

My other favorite play was Kyle's blocked shot late in the 2nd half. He was beat going to the basket but never gave up on the play. Somehow managed to catch up to the offensive player and get a beautiful clean block with his left hand I think. It looked like something Battier would do. He also managed to keep the ball in play for Duke to secure the ball.

That last block was my favorite play and I was thinking Battier, also.

dukeblue225
04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Maybe the most impressive offensive play, strictly by degree of difficulty, was Nolan's runner in the lane. He managed to put it in the basket while all his momentum was carrying him the opposite way.

scheyeronfire
04-06-2010, 07:18 PM
I thought that Scheyer's and-one going into the (under 8?) TV timeout was huge

Eckster
04-06-2010, 07:29 PM

Looking at the replay, Kyle ignoring the pass was either a great ploy to lull the defense or Kyle didn't actually know the pass was coming until it was well on its way. Nance/Kellogg said Jon gave him a nod but I didn't see it on the replay. I'll give them both the benefit of the doubt.

Either way, great play and reminded me of the couple of times JJ bounced the ball off the back of a defender on an inbounds play to score himself on the bounceback. Makes the defense look dumb.