PDA

View Full Version : Congratulations from a UNC fan

ClosetHurleyFan
04-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Hats off, your guys fought hard, played smart, took a few punches in the mouth from a heart driven opponent and came back tougher. That was one of the best national championship games in recent memory.

One question for all of you: how many of you were nearly s**tting in your pants when that last shot drew iron? I am not even a Duke fan and it took my breath away for a second......

What a great game between two classy teams.

kong123
04-06-2010, 09:42 AM
Just wanted to congratulate your team on a winning the National Championship.

After a long off season with UNC winning the NCAA Championship and Harrison Barnes signing with UNC, we were on top of the world. I remember reading the doom and gloom posts right after HB signed and truly felt like UNC was on top to stay. Remember the question of whether or not Roy would win his 3rd before K won his 4th? Well, what a difference a year makes, huh? I remember saying to my friends at the beginning of the season, "the worst thing we have going against us is that our expectations are too high, this team cannot possibly live up to our lofty expectations." That is what was great about our 2005-2006 team, we had no expectations and so every success was met with great enthusiasm. I see this years Duke team the same way. I doubt anyone seriously considered this Duke team the best in the country at the beginning of the year. They never held the #1 spot in the nation at any point other than in the last poll of the season. How fulfilling is that?

I hope our young players play with the same poise and intelligence that this years Duke team played with. While Duke winning the title is good for the rivalry, ultimately it is still to painful to embrace it.

pamtar
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the kind words.

4decadedukie
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
One question for all of you: how many of you were nearly s**tting in your pants when that last shot drew iron? I am not even a Duke fan and it took my breath away for a second......

First, thanks for your gracious congratulatory thread.

Second (and this is solely my INDIVIDUAL reply to your question), I was extremely worried because the shot looked – and was – excellent from the moment it was launched; however, it was over so quickly, with time expired, I probably didn’t have a complete opportunity to become as scared as I should have been.

MChambers
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Hats off, your guys fought hard, played smart, took a few punches in the mouth from a heart driven opponent and came back tougher. That was one of the best national championship games in recent memory.

To answer your question, I had nothing left to s*** at that point.

LSanders
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
To answer your question, I had nothing left to s*** at that point.

Well said!!

DukieInBrasil
04-06-2010, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the props coming from UNC fans, that's cool, and part of what makes the rivalry great. Even though we may hate the other team, it is obvious that both fan-bases respect the other.
2 things stick in my mind. First, it seems that Duke and UNC have a tradition of winning the NC the year after the other, odd. Second, despite UNC having a far-below-expectations seasons, some solace should be drawn from UNC's NIT run. The kids showed some resolve and desire to play better basketball than they showed for most of the year. Had UNC played during the ACC season the way they did in the NIT, they very well could have gotten a bid to the NCAAs.
Next year I think the rivalry will regain much of its former ferocity.

baby-face dawkins
04-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Thank you for the congratulations, much appreciated! Much more classy then the scene over at the inside carolina board...

Delaware
04-06-2010, 01:18 PM

Second (and this is solely my INDIVIDUAL reply to your question), I was extremely worried because the shot looked – and was – excellent from the moment it was launched; however, it was over so quickly, with time expired, I probably didn’t have a complete opportunity to become as scared as I should have been.

I actually think this is the best part of K's decision for me personally... it did not give me another 2-5 seconds of angst while Butler would be trying to inbound the ball for a last second play. The miss was so stunning and the scramble, hard screen and shot was so quick, I didn't have as much time to have my heart stop!

davekay1971
04-06-2010, 01:20 PM

Pretty much ditto on both points.

My heart was in my throat the moment Hayward got that rebound and began heading upcourt. I agreed with the strategy of getting the clock going since they had no timeouts, and figured a halfcourt heave was about the best they were going to get. When he launched it I was still thinking "halfcourt shot, it's gotta miss", and it wasn't really till it hit backboard then iron that I realized how close it was. Then CBS kept showing the replays and I said to my wife, "I wish they'd stop showing that replay, because every time I watch it, it looks like that damn shot's going to go in!"

Hell of a game, hell of a shot. I'm euphoric that it missed.

whereinthehellami
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Next year's games between UNC and Duke will be really competetive. i think both teams will play drastically different than the teams this year. So it should be fun, intense, and exciting.

Duke
Irving 6-0 FR
Smith 6-3 SR
Singler/Dawkins
Mason 6-10 SO
Miles 6-10 JR

Curry 6-0 SO
Felix 6-6 SO
Kelly 6-10 SO

UNC
Drew 6-2 JR
Bullocks 6-6 FR
Barnes 6-8 FR
Henson 6-10 SO
Davis/Zeller

Strickland 6-3 SO
Graves 6-6 SR
Wear 6-10 SO
Marshall 6-3 FR

I only included guys that I think will average 10+ MPG or more.

bulldog44
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM

Thank you, what a great post and yes I admit I could have used a pair of Depends during the end. I will now be rooting for Butler, as long as they ain't playing Duke. Great classy post.

Aziggazoomba
04-06-2010, 02:57 PM
My congrats to your team/program/etc. (though naturally it pains me to do so).

It was a really enjoyable game and you guys definitely deserved the win. I also have to concede that the kids on this team seem like a really admirable and likeable bunch. Kudos all around.

Thanks for keeping the ACC (and Tobacco Road) in its rightful place at the top of the heap.

Go Heels.

hurleyfor3
04-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Thanks for keeping the ACC (and Tobacco Road) in its rightful place at the top of the heap.

ACC teams have won five of the last ten titles. I don't think there has been another 10-year run in the post-Wooden era in which any conference has won more than three.

Thanks, folks. We all take for granted that UNC will be back.

slower
04-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Now THAT'S the way to keep it classy, Tarheel fans. ;)

And I'm sure that pretty much all of us on the board expect you to be back to the "old" UNC next year.

alteran
04-06-2010, 03:31 PM
Nothing ruins my post-NC buzz like you guys coming over here and being all classy and stuff. ;)

To answer the question of what was going on in our heads, yes, the pants were soiled. As Hayward launched the shot just past halfcourt I silently congratulated Coach K on the missed foul strategy. A tenth of a second later I thought "holy cow that shot looks good."

Crazy night.

coldriver10
04-06-2010, 03:51 PM
When he launched it I was still thinking "halfcourt shot, it's gotta miss", and it wasn't really till it hit backboard then iron that I realized how close it was. Then CBS kept showing the replays and I said to my wife, "I wish they'd stop showing that replay, because every time I watch it, it looks like that damn shot's going to go in!"

Hell of a game, hell of a shot. I'm euphoric that it missed.
I had the exact same reaction. For a lot of the game, I just had a bad feeling, that we were going to lose. Then when I see him taking a half-court shot I finally thought to myself "there's no way that goes in." I had no idea how close it was until I saw replays. Wow, what a game.

Thanks for the classy words, UNC fans.

dukestheheat
04-06-2010, 03:53 PM
Has The Wheat (I add in the article to his name because of his elevated status within the DBR flock....) published here since our win?

dth.

allenmurray
04-06-2010, 03:57 PM
Has The Wheat (I add in the article to his name because of his elevated status within the DBR flock....) published here since our win?

dth.

This place has been safe for those with gluten sensitivity for weeks.

SMO
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
This place has been safe for those with gluten sensitivity for weeks.

I considered making a string of "Wheat's greatest hits (misses)" but going through his posts to select the biggest misses was too daunting.

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-06-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks you, it was hard fought game.

MChambers
04-06-2010, 05:19 PM

dth.

Before the game, Wheat had a nice post expressing his admiration for this team. Lot of class. Hate it when UNC guys show that.;)

vlove
04-06-2010, 06:23 PM
closethurleyfan & kong123, you guys are a credit to sports fandom (wheat too- he's long been a stand-up guy on these boards, regardless of unc's win/loss record, and i hear makes a mean key lime pie...).

when did fandom descend to the lowest common denominator status it seemingly occupies today, deviod of any grace, class or civility? i might sound like an old fart, but i swear it wasn't like this 20-25 years ago, when the courtesy extended by the posters above was the norm among fans, even rivals. it was the norm when 2 acc schools were playing at the same venue during the ncaa's for one schools fans to pull for the other, & to join in together for a victorious "acc" chant at the end. those days are seemingly over.

growing up just miles outside its campus, sadly this seems to be the university of maryland's only lasting contribution to the college basketball landscape.

GLTBD
04-06-2010, 06:30 PM

I was at the game, and did not realize how close the shot was until I saw it on ESPN today. Thank goodness because I would of "lost" it at both ends.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-06-2010, 06:35 PM
closethurleyfan & kong123, you guys are a credit to sports fandom (wheat too- he's long been a stand-up guy on these boards, regardless of unc's win/loss record, and i hear makes a mean key lime pie...).

when did fandom descend to the lowest common denominator status it seemingly occupies today, deviod of any grace, class or civility? i might sound like an old fart, but i swear it wasn't like this 20-25 years ago, when the courtesy extended by the posters above was the norm among fans, even rivals. it was the norm when 2 acc schools were playing at the same venue during the ncaa's for one schools fans to pull for the other, & to join in together for a victorious "acc" chant at the end. those days are seemingly over.

growing up just miles outside its campus, sadly this seems to be the university of maryland's only lasting contribution to the college basketball landscape.

The anonymity of the Internet has changed much in public discourse.

alteran
04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
The anonymity of the Internet has changed much in public discourse.

I agree. It really takes only a couple grenade throwers to really get people going back and forth. 'Specially us high-strung types. :)

Troublemaker
04-07-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks, CHF.

For some reason I was a lot more scared of the Hayward baseline fadeaway on the previous Butler possession. I thought that one was going in. Thank God Zoubek was able to reach out with his long arm and big mitt to bother that shot attempt enough.

Tar-man
04-07-2010, 10:21 AM
Big congratulations from a die-hard Tarheel fan of over 30 years. It took me two days to get over the bitter feeling I had, but the further removed I get the more I can say that K did a terrific job this year and you guys played good, smart, and effective basketball. Even got my little ones (who I of course have made big tarheel fans) to respect what you guys accomplished. After years of telling them all the negatives of K, I finally explained to them K's positives and what Duke had accomplished with their final four runs in the 80s, 90s and earlier championships. (They're finally old enough now to know things are not pure black and white (just different shades of blue....)

You guys never take a possession off on defense or offense - very impressive. Zoubek really turned himself into a player and I'm most impressed that after 3.5 years of injuries and much criticism and mocking he had the self-confidence to jump on his late opportunity and become relevant than very effective. Scheyer strikes me as a good kid too.

I love Carolina basketball and know we'll be back. I'm hoping for high level Carolina-Duke games in the very immediate future. What the two programs have accomplished in the last 30 years is remarkable, really. Good for the rivalry, good for college basketball.

As I wrote to DBR a year ago too, this is an excellent website - great ACC basketball analysis.

Enjoy your championship. I know I enjoyed ours last year.

-bdbd
04-07-2010, 10:49 AM
Who is this Harrison Barnes guy anyway?

;)

Last shot: Never thought it had a chance, and anyway I was too busy yelling at the refs on my TV about the ridiculous "football block" (pic) on Singler by their Center. I still belive that that is whistled as a foul at any time other than on the last play of the game. I was stunned that the heave even caught metal (but by then it was over anyway).

For those complaining about the stupidity pouring out of IC over this... Just relax. It is really, really funny, enjoyable to watch, and serves as simple comic relief. Remember: this is the same group that, even as recently as last week, were still spouting "we're still the defending national champs." Want to see fireworks? Try posting that comment on IC next March.... ;)

For the UNC@CH fans posting here -- thanks for your kind comments. Carolina will be a lot better (they must be) next year, but beware growing pains with any very young-ish team. The recovery will be bumpy and not complete in just one year. Good luck though -- it is a great rivalry.