PDA

View Full Version : Robert Montgomery Knight

Channing
04-06-2010, 09:19 AM
Wow, he had a few sharp words for the NCAA last night didnt he? Can't say I disagree with anything he said though.

moonpie23
04-06-2010, 09:20 AM
Wow, he had a few sharp words for the NCAA last night didnt he? Can't say I disagree with anything he said though.

link?

Matches
04-06-2010, 09:22 AM
I agree with his sentiment but it came off looking like it was motivated by the personal animosity between him and Myles Brand. He probably should've just made the point and moved on rather than harping on it.

dukeimac
04-06-2010, 09:26 AM
Nope! I think they don't talk enough about the one-and-dones. It will ruin the college game.

The bad - a lot of big storied programs will struggle with this. Not sure how many years the Kentucky fans will put up with a great season only to end before Monday night.

The good - programs like Butler might make back to back appearances in the final four. But then again, a lot of pro scouts have Hayward going in the mid first round. If he goes Butler will be lucky to make the sweet sixteen next year.

I just hope they all go to Kentucky.

bluepenguin
04-06-2010, 09:32 AM
The General was incredibly complimentary of K and the program he has developed and sustained at Duke. I agree with Knight's take on the one and done. Think how much more we enjoyed this team, watching the seniors develop over 4 years and achieve their dream.

I also think that CBS should replace Kellogg with Knight.

roywhite
04-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Coach Knight didn't mention John Calipari by name, but he might as well have done so. Talked about how certain schools were just going out to "hire" kids to come in for one year.

Very, very complimentary of Coach K and Duke.

Channing
04-06-2010, 10:01 AM
link?

it was last night on ESPN after the game. They had him call in for an interview, and he was saying how he hated that some teams hire kids for a season, and teams like Duke and Butler do it right.

Devil in the Blue Dress
04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
For all the ridicule Digger Phelps draws, he made a similar point last night in the discussion of the game.

He started out saying that this game showed two trends. I don't remember that he ever got to the second trend, but the first trend was that teams populated buy "one and dones" don't win national championships. Teams comprised of student athletes who stay for a college career of four years are the one most likely to win national championships. He offered Duke and Butler a examples of such higher quality teams.

gus
04-06-2010, 10:16 AM
I don't remember that he ever got to the second trend, but the first trend was that teams populated buy "one and dones" don't win national championships.

freudian slip?

LSanders
04-06-2010, 12:21 PM
Doesn't appear to be a direct link. Go here:

http://http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/

CLICK on the Video tab ... Scroll to the right until you get to the RMK clip.

Duke of Nashville
04-06-2010, 12:24 PM
:Dhttp://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=5059349&categoryid=2459792

The above link did not work for me. This is the direct link.

blueprofessor
04-06-2010, 12:43 PM
The General was incredibly complimentary of K and the program he has developed and sustained at Duke. I agree with Knight's take on the one and done. Think how much more we enjoyed this team, watching the seniors develop over 4 years and achieve their dream.

Coach Knight:" Duke is a beacon of integrity...."
Jay's pal Hubert Davis was speechless. Heh,heh.
Knight also appropriately praised former NCAA head Byers.

Best regards. Blueprofessor:)

4decadedukie
04-06-2010, 12:46 PM
Coach Knight’s intelligence and basketball acumen are undoubtedly outstanding – I admire him greatly – but some individuals clearly believe he is too tactless and apolitical. I disagree; however, I reminded of the famous Harry Truman quote during (or immediately after) his successful campaign against Thomas Dewey. Reporters asked President Truman about his “Give ‘em hell, Harry” persona, to which he replied, “I never gave them hell, I told the truth and they thought it was hell.”

The world – and NCAA-controlled college athletics – has many sycophants and fools who will iterate the “politically correct” doctrine, but only a few vehemently honest experts who state their learned opinions regardless of the consequences. Knight is one of those candid, direct champions of doing the right thing. Eventually, people of his character, straightforwardness, and expertise are frequently proven correct.

GoingFor#5
04-06-2010, 12:55 PM
I do agree with Knight's point, but what is his solution? Does he want the NBA to change their age limit or does he want the NCAA to have more oversight on the Caliparis of the world and dismiss players who don't do the academic work?

Clipsfan
04-06-2010, 12:59 PM
I do agree with Knight's point, but what is his solution? Does he want the NBA to change their age limit or does he want the NCAA to have more oversight on the Caliparis of the world and dismiss players who don't do the academic work?

I think that his stance is the same as K's - they want to make players commit to 2-3 years rather than just one (similar to baseball) if they attend college, otherwise they can just find somewhere else to play (Europe, NBDL etc).

allenmurray
04-06-2010, 01:07 PM

The current rule belongs to the NBA, not the NCAA. but the NCAA does have a solution at its hands as reagrds shaping the behavior of coaches when making recruiting decisions. Make scholarships good for the full four years. So, if you offer your outstanding prospect a scholarship to begin the 2009 season, that scholarship is tied up into the 2013 season - irrespective of when the player leaves. Could you still recruit the John Walls of the wrold? sure - but you wouldn't dare fill your roster with them.

Under this scenario if Singler left this year Duke would have an empty seat on the bench (or a walk-on sitting there) next year. Kentucky would have a bunch of empty seats on their bench. You wouldn't see any team with more than one or two "one and done" types on their roster - they simply couldn't afford the risk. Will this ever happen? Of course not. Why? $$$$$

brumby041
04-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Coach Knight’s intelligence and basketball acumen are undoubtedly outstanding – I admire him greatly – but some individuals clearly believe he is too tactless and apolitical. I disagree; however, I reminded of the famous Harry Truman quote during (or immediately after) his successful campaign against Thomas Dewey. Reporters asked President Truman about his “Give ‘em hell, Harry” persona, to which he replied, “I never gave them hell, I told the truth and they thought it was hell.”

Reminds me of Washington Nationals Manager Frank Robinson on the "communication issues" that he had with his team:

“I had no trouble communicating, the player's just didn't like what I had to say.”

I feel the same way about Knight. If you ask for his opinion, you will get it. You just might not like it...

GoingFor#5
04-06-2010, 01:14 PM
I think that his stance is the same as K's - they want to make players commit to 2-3 years rather than just one (similar to baseball) if they attend college, otherwise they can just find somewhere else to play (Europe, NBDL etc).

That sounds like a good solution to me. I think 3 years is good.

vango
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM
For all the ridicule Digger Phelps draws, he made a similar point last night in the discussion of the game.

He started out saying that this game showed two trends. I don't remember that he ever got to the second trend, but the first trend was that teams populated buy "one and dones" don't win national championships. Teams comprised of student athletes who stay for a college career of four years are the one most likely to win national championships. He offered Duke and Butler a examples of such higher quality teams.

He sure did - I about choked on my popcorn. If I recall correctly he repeatedly mentioned "kids not going to class."

Either way - last night was a game which had two schools who do things the right way.

Duke and Butler are very similar - just at different stages in their existence.

JG Nothing
04-06-2010, 01:21 PM

The world – and NCAA-controlled college athletics – has many sycophants and fools who will iterate the “politically correct” doctrine, but only a few vehemently honest experts who state their learned opinions regardless of the consequences. Knight is one of those candid, direct champions of doing the right thing. Eventually, people of his character, straightforwardness, and expertise are frequently proven correct.

Give me a break. How many years did it take Knight to even speak to K after 1992? Knight's comments are often as much about the grudges he holds as anything else. He is also unwilling to take responsibility for his boorish behavior. At IU (and Texas Tech), Knight was a bully who thought he was beyond the reach of the university. His behavior had nothing to do with integrity, it was arrogance. Brand put Knight in his place and Knight never forgave Brand or the NCAA (after Brand became president) for actually "doing the right thing."

Surfsideron
04-06-2010, 01:24 PM

What is it with the animosity towards Kellogg? I think he does a good job in analyzing the game, he makes good observations and he isn't biased towards any one team that I could ever tell.

You guys must have forgotten Billy Packer. Clark is a breathe of fresh air compared to that blowhard!

roywhite
04-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Give me a break. How many years did it take Knight to even speak to K after 1992? Knight's comments are often as much about the grudges he holds as anything else. He is also unwilling to take responsibility for his boorish behavior. At IU (and Texas Tech), Knight was a bully who thought he was beyond the reach of the university. His behavior had nothing to do with integrity, it was arrogance. Brand put Knight in his place and Knight never forgave Brand or the NCAA (after Brand became president) for actually "doing the right thing."

Well, you have a point...pretty clear that snub (in the form of a drive-by handshake in 1992) was hurtful to Coach K.

Seems to me that the good out-weighs the bad here. Knight has remained true to the student-athlete concept, has run clean programs, and speaks out against harmful influences on college basketball.

What ultimately convinces me about having Knight on the good side of the ledger is that he and Coach K have patched things up. Coach K has tremendous affection and respect for the guy...that says a lot.

LSanders
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
Will this ever happen? Of course not. Why? $$$$$

True. As university presidents morphed from academicians into fund-raisers, they turned a blind eye to the Calimaris of the world ... "Win. I don't care what it costs. Just try not to embarrass me too much publicly."

As the saying goes:

The accomplice to the crime of corruption is frequently our own indifference.

As long as decisions like the expansion of the basketball tourney and the lack of a D1 football playoff are made by the fund raisers strictly on the basis of $$$$, "correct" solutions need not be applied.

Underdog5
04-06-2010, 02:18 PM
The current rule belongs to the NBA, not the NCAA. but the NCAA does have a solution at its hands as reagrds shaping the behavior of coaches when making recruiting decisions. Make scholarships good for the full four years. So, if you offer your outstanding prospect a scholarship to begin the 2009 season, that scholarship is tied up into the 2013 season - irrespective of when the player leaves. Could you still recruit the John Walls of the wrold? sure - but you wouldn't dare fill your roster with them.

Under this scenario if Singler left this year Duke would have an empty seat on the bench (or a walk-on sitting there) next year. Kentucky would have a bunch of empty seats on their bench. You wouldn't see any team with more than one or two "one and done" types on their roster - they simply couldn't afford the risk. Will this ever happen? Of course not. Why? $$$$$

Anything that shifts the burden to the institutions and forces more commitment to kids is great in my book.

I can't say I cared much for Knight's rant. My immediate reaction was that he is VERY bitter and wanted to stick it to Myles Brand. It was like ESPN was basking in the glow of a great game and Knight made the moment totally awkward. Full disclosure, I'm not much of a Knight fan. I personally think putting your hands on a student athlete is far worse than any violation Calipari has committed.

Also don't really agree that this is an NCAA problem that is ruining college basketball. If anybody thinks that then they definitely didn't watch the same season and tournament I just watched. This is a decision the NBA made for its own benefit and no matter what you think about the social issues around one and dones, college basketball benefitted from the rule in my opinion.

Lastly, for all of us that keep pointing to Calipari and Wall as a gross example of the "problem", remember that Duke recruited Wall HARD and he would likely have been the same one and done athlete had he chose to come to Durham.

ChicagoCrazy84
04-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Anything that shifts the burden to the institutions and forces more commitment to kids is great in my book.

I can't say I cared much for Knight's rant. My immediate reaction was that he is VERY bitter and wanted to stick it to Myles Brand. It was like ESPN was basking in the glow of a great game and Knight made the moment totally awkward. Full disclosure, I'm not much of a Knight fan. I personally think putting your hands on a student athlete is far worse than any violation Calipari has committed.

Also don't really agree that this is an NCAA problem that is ruining college basketball. If anybody thinks that then they definitely didn't watch the same season and tournament I just watched. This is a decision the NBA made for its own benefit and no matter what you think about the social issues around one and dones, college basketball benefitted from the rule in my opinion.

Lastly, for all of us that keep pointing to Calipari and Wall as a gross example of the "problem", remember that Duke recruited Wall HARD and he would likely have been the same one and done athlete had he chose to come to Durham.

Just had a quick rebuttal for Wall. Sure, we recruited him, I don't know if we recruited him HARD. We had him take a visit and came him the usual treatment, but we went after him very late and mostly because we were in desperate need of a PG (or so we thought). Plus, we're not going after the Walls, Barnes, Cousins, and Sullingers all in the same class.

SoCalDukeFan
04-06-2010, 03:45 PM

First of all I like it that someone is thinking of a solution to the one and done that the NCAA can implement. What bothers me is that the NCAA just acts helpless.

It would not have to be for 4 years, maybe only 2 or 3. So if Greg Oden leaves after one year, then Ohio State has one less the next year. It is a little complicated as what about a player who suffers a career ending injury his freshmen year or one who transfer because of a sick parent. However if the NCAA put their minds to it, and stopped trying to figure out how to drop the NIT and still have 96 teams in the post season then maybe they would come up with something.

You could also make freshmen ineligible for varsity sports.

Or you could try to work with the NBA and the players union and get something like the baseball rule adopted.

Or you could say there is nothing you can do and then spend your time figuring out how to do a 96 team tournament, keep players away from school for 10 straight days and say you are all for the student athlete.

SoCal

Indoor66
04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
First of all I like it that someone is thinking of a solution to the one and done that the NCAA can implement. What bothers me is that the NCAA just acts helpless.

It would not have to be for 4 years, maybe only 2 or 3. So if Greg Oden leaves after one year, then Ohio State has one less the next year. It is a little complicated as what about a player who suffers a career ending injury his freshmen year or one who transfer because of a sick parent. However if the NCAA put their minds to it, and stopped trying to figure out how to drop the NIT and still have 96 teams in the post season then maybe they would come up with something.

You could also make freshmen ineligible for varsity sports.

Or you could try to work with the NBA and the players union and get something like the baseball rule adopted.

Or you could say there is nothing you can do and then spend your time figuring out how to do a 96 team tournament, keep players away from school for 10 straight days and say you are all for the student athlete.

SoCal

I would set it up that a scholarship covers 3 years. If a player transfers (in good standing), is injured, or has an approved after submission hardship situation (illness in family, death, etc), the period could be shortened or waived.

This would be a real penalty without a death penalty for a 2 year or 3 year player.

BobbyFan
04-06-2010, 09:26 PM

Kellogg is horrendous - his knowledge is just so limited. Over the past couple of games, there were so many strategic observations to make that were affecting the game's outcome, yet he made very few of them. Instead, he just repeated generalizations about individual players that everyone knew about anyway. It would be a travesty if he becomes a fixture as the lead analyst for the NCAAs.

MarkD83
04-06-2010, 09:33 PM
What is it with the animosity towards Kellogg? I think he does a good job in analyzing the game, he makes good observations and he isn't biased towards any one team that I could ever tell.

You guys must have forgotten Billy Packer. Clark is a breathe of fresh air compared to that blowhard!

I totally agree. I just rewatched the game and Clark was clearly balanced. He clearly described why Thomas' foul was not flagrant and pointed out fouls by several of the Butler players that were not called. If that had been Billy Packer he would have been calling Thomas a dirty player who should have been tossed from the game.

Devilfam
04-06-2010, 10:06 PM
I'm watching the game again tonight. No complaints about Kellogg. He is very fair.

dukeblue225
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
"Duke is without any reservation in my mind the best team in the country."

Of course I agree with this statement and am willing to justify it to any Tar Hole doubter, but it still feels good to hear it reiterated by RMK.

papa whiskey
04-07-2010, 05:17 AM

I agree that Kellogg is a breath of fresh air compared to Packer. However, This is the premier job in the game and I do think that CBS could do better than Kellogg. Call me a homer but I think Bilas is as good as it gets. RMK would also be great IMO.

Saratoga2
04-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Coach Knight wound up with 902 DIV1 wins, which is a record and he did that generally the right way, although he did have what seemed like an explosive temper. To me, he seems like the best color man I have heard, simply because he sticks with the game being played and gives insights that are unbiased as the game is played.

By the way, at 867 DIV1 wins, coach K is closing in on Knight's record, and will be close at the end of next season. I suppose a stats watch on coach K will be coming in 2012.

DoubleDuke Dad
04-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Coach Knight wound up with 902 DIV1 wins, which is a record and he did that generally the right way, although he did have what seemed like an explosive temper. To me, he seems like the best color man I have heard, simply because he sticks with the game being played and gives insights that are unbiased as the game is played.

By the way, at 867 DIV1 wins, coach K is closing in on Knight's record, and will be close at the end of next season. I suppose a stats watch on coach K will be coming in 2012.

Coach K needs 36 wins to break Knight’s record. With 39-40 potential games, it is possible for him to do it next year. How about the possibility of simultaneously playing for the championship and breaking the record of most wins? That would be some story line.