PDA

View Full Version : The Indy Star jumped the gun...

muzikfrk75
04-06-2010, 03:32 AM
Snapshot of the front page of their website with 15 seconds left in the game

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/11/2010/04/indy-star.jpg

LSanders
04-06-2010, 04:00 AM
Somewhere ... Harry Truman is smiling!!!!!!

licc85
04-06-2010, 04:39 AM
http://www.indystar.com/graphics/go4/defcon1extreme02.jpg

much better

Welcome2DaSlopes
04-06-2010, 04:42 AM
HAHA indeed it is.

4decadedukie
04-06-2010, 08:00 AM
Somewhere ... Harry Truman is smiling!!!!!!

Absolutely right.

Side note: Between this premature cover (and I say this with immense respect for Butler and the magnificent game both teams played last night) and offensive the Coach K cover of last Friday, senior management at the Star might want to consider some enhanced oversight. Within a few days, looking juvenile/nasty and then looking foolish may not help their journalistic stature.

mgtr
04-06-2010, 08:22 AM
In the old days, heads would roll for such a big mess up, but today -- well, it doesn't seem that people are responsible for their actions anymore.

miramar
04-06-2010, 08:41 AM
the final shot would have gone down and we would have had the greatest NCAA game ever.

Here's to imperfection and human frailty!

While the Coach K shot was inexcusable, this was probably a case of someone hitting a computer key prematurely. Considering the excitement at the end, that's understandable.

DukieBoy
04-06-2010, 08:55 AM
As a journalism major, I've learned that it's very common for newspapers to print up a story or make up a graphic for either side so that, once one happens, it's "click" and off to the printing factory to be made. IIRC, there was some sort of graphic that ESPN accidentally used after the SB proclaiming the Colts as SB champs.

allenmurray
04-06-2010, 09:00 AM
As a journalism major, I've learned that it's very common for newspapers to print up a story or make up a graphic for either side so that, once one happens, it's "click" and off to the printing factory to be made. IIRC, there was some sort of graphic that ESPN accidentally used after the SB proclaiming the Colts as SB champs.

Correct. Papers have a very narrow window after a game that finishes so late. The criticism of their treatment of Coach K is valid. Criticizing them for being prepared with two different lead stories, given their limited time frame, is just silly. I'm sure our local papers had "ready-to-go" editions for either outcome as well.